PDA

View Full Version : Legend Hunter ideas

Rayquaza Rider
27th December 2005, 9:23 PM
OK, i'm going to start a fiction series, and i need some ideas. The basis is the main character [the legend hunter] hunts down legendary pokemon and cathes them [so the name hints]. The fist multi-part episode is about the difficult hunt he goes on to capture mew.;151;
i have some ideas already, but i need a little extra inspiration.

Dilasc
27th December 2005, 9:28 PM
A story about average joe battling and conquering legendaries, who by the way, have the capability to level a building without breaking a sweat, is a frowned upon idea. Unless he is superhuman, I see this idea as a Mary-Sue fest.

Rayquaza Rider
27th December 2005, 9:30 PM
I never said anything about leveling buildings.
Why is this a frowned apon idea?

Dilasc
27th December 2005, 9:33 PM
It is frowned upon because legendaries are supposed to be extremely powerful. While you may be starting simple with Mew, as you move up to stonger Pokemon, it will become less believable that a single man can fight Ho-oh, Rayquaza, or Groudon. I don't see how a mere human can take down a very powerful legendary all by himself, or why he would for that matter.

Rayquaza Rider
27th December 2005, 9:35 PM
I meant to use pokemon to capture them. I mean, why would i make somthing about someone taking down Ho-oh with nothing with his bare hands? I wouldn't do that.

Eternal Daydreamer
27th December 2005, 9:47 PM
I meant to use pokemon to capture them. I mean, why would i make somthing about someone taking down Ho-oh with nothing with his bare hands? I wouldn't do that.
You never said that. Give us details otherwards we will believe the worst. I susgest you give us a preview or something so we can judge.

Rayquaza Rider
27th December 2005, 9:51 PM
Gimme, like, 10 minutes to throw a preview together. Sorry about not saying anything about using pokemon earlier. Slipped my mind.

Rayquaza Rider
27th December 2005, 10:06 PM
alright, my preveiw is done:

Preveiw: Tracking the Untrackable, P I

"There it is!" Somthing resemballing a pink blur suddenly vanished into the cold, night air. Chris, his Sneasel and Mawile, all stoped dead, standing in the heart of Pettleburg woods. "We lost it again. DANG! How on Earth are we going to keep up with that?" Chris yelled at the open air. His pokemon looked rather dissapointed themselves. "C'mon, lets find a place to camp for the night."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Short, i know. It's not that great, though.

Eternal Daydreamer
27th December 2005, 10:11 PM
You should have edited your post not DP...

Grammar is bad, description bad, plot is what?!!, length is bad. Even for a preview this is pretty bad. I say about a page is a good length of a preview..

Rayquaza Rider
27th December 2005, 10:16 PM
............................................i suck worse than i thought................................

Pinecone Tortoise
28th December 2005, 12:02 AM
............................................i suck worse than i thought................................

Don't be ridiculous. That's just self-pity - and inaccurate self-pity at that. What people are objecting to is seeing your main character end up with every legendary you can think of. A writer's main character is often a reflection of themselves and for you to slather your character with legendaries left, right and center is in a way a glorification of yourself.

Basically, Legendary pokemon are the strongest beasts in the pokemon world - and consequently pretty much invincible. Short of them all being ravaged by some horrible disease and wandering delirious into some lucky trainer's pokeball, I can't see any of them getting caught - let alone defeated before hand.

No pokemon - or team of pokemon - should be strong enough to catch them. That's why people are worried - if your character's team is strong enough to defeat legendaries, then you've made them way to powerful - unrealistically so. Reading about a character with 00bers gets dull and boring.

There's also the problem with what your character would DO with the legendaries once they were caught. No self-respecting legendary would obey some puny human that had SOMEHOW managed to catch them. Most likely they'd destroy their captor before he could return them to their balls then go free once more.

Long story short, unless your character gets them by dumb luck (eg: Suicune was running along the bottom of a cliff when it suddenly collapsed, completely crippling the poor dog then some trainer wandered along and caught it) there's no way a Legendary would be caught. It sounds unrealistic and people often prefer to read stories that have that element of realism that drags the narrative closer to reality.

My advice: post your story if you want, but I really can't see how it would work because no pokemon/team of pokemon could be strong enough to defeat a Legendary enough for it to be captured. Unless you can somehow make it realistic, I wouldn't hold out for a lot of reviewers simply because reviewers gravitate to realism. Any more questions, just PM me. Good luck and have fun!

Piney.
;204;;324;

Rayquaza Rider
5th January 2006, 2:05 AM
Look, all i did was think of a good idea and wanted to write about it. I thought more than just me would like it. Heck, i was wrong. Everyone in my life offline hates my ideas, so i figured someone else has to. I don't care if you call this self pity, i thought someone else would like it, but , once again, i'm shot down. I like legendaries, not for power, i just like 'em. No one likes my ideas, but i guess it'll always be like that. Don't even try to cheer me up, or say i'm being dramatic. I now know everyone hates them.

Pinecone Tortoise
5th January 2006, 2:53 AM
Look, all i did was think of a good idea and wanted to write about it. I thought more than just me would like it. Heck, i was wrong. Everyone in my life offline hates my ideas, so i figured someone else has to. I don't care if you call this self pity, i thought someone else would like it, but , once again, i'm shot down. I like legendaries, not for power, i just like 'em. No one likes my ideas, but i guess it'll always be like that. Don't even try to cheer me up, or say i'm being dramatic. I now know everyone hates them.

I don't think that anyone has actually said 'we hate your ideas'. You're just interpreting that cause nobody has been overly enthusiastic. And enthusiasm doesn't come easily. You have to work at these things.

If you don't shoot straight to the top of the pro fic writer list, don't be surprised. You've only given us a preview and no real taste of what you can do. Your story might be as original or as well done as the best of them, but no one's gonna know that until you post it. And if it's not that great, the one way to improve is with helpful critique. PM me when you post it if you want a review.

Look at me. On FF.Net, people pretty much ignored my stories and I barely got any reviews. I deleted them. Then I tried again and got a little better response. People actually liked it. Now I'm here on Serebii and my fic has five stars and regular group of readers. That took years.

What I'm saying is, don't try to rush these things. Have a go, if that doesn't work, have another go. You'll get the hang of it eventually. But no one's ever gonna know if you don't try.

I'm not trying to cheer you up here. I'm trying to get you to stop kicking yourself for other people's pity and DO something that will get you were you want to be. If you wanna be a fic writer, do what fic writers do - write fics. If you think and act the part, soon people won't notice you're acting and some day you'll realise it stopped being an act a while ago.

Have fun. Seriously. That's why you're doing this, right? And if you want to avoid the brunt of reviews, a beta can help. I'm somewhat disorganised, but if you want me to read your chapters before you post and give advice/do corrections, let me know!

Piney.
;204;;324;

Eternal Daydreamer
5th January 2006, 2:58 AM
:sigh: Alright I won't cheer you up or tell you that you are being dramitic, which you are. I like Legendaries, in fact a lot of people do. It's just that we like to think realistcally about them in Pokemon stories, they are living super power creatures there not just pieces of data.

A human getting a Legendary could be called a Mary Sue or Gary Stu fairly quickly, but if it's explained it can work. An example is Molly Hale from Pokemon: Spell of the Unown. Molly is a five year old (some say eight but I disagree) that gets a superpowerful Pokemon. Or a lot of them if you get my drift. In any case she finds the Unown and she can control them. Unown create an Entei for her since her father disappeared. So did her mother. Point is, if a character is realistic almost anything can happen to that character and no one will scream "Mary Sue/Gary Stu run!"

If you wanted to stop this thread, posting in it again was a bad idea. We were trying to help you but you think we hate you and your idea. I should call you a male diva, but that is rude and I won't. I proudly call myself a diva and I act this way when I get criticism...