PDA

View Full Version : Olde Attacks

+Chaos Blade+
30th December 2005, 9:01 PM
In my newest fic: Din, in some old library books, verbal commands, and some other forms of speaking or writing, I have inserted some old commands.

For example, the "king" of the town of Noyir has a Dugtrio named Bahlnore, and commands it to use Mud-Slap and Earthquake, however, since this chapter took place many years ago, in the BC years, I have described Mud-Slap "Slap of the Mud" and Earthquake "Titanic Magnitude".

Others I shall insert are "Face of the Fearful" [Scary Face], "Aqua Pulsation" [Water Pulse], and "Blast of the Hydra" [Hydro Pump].

What do you think of these "Olde-style Attacks"? Please post comments.

IceKing
30th December 2005, 9:22 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me, but some of them can sound more oldish like face of the fearful could be Coutenance of the Beast and Aqua Pulsation could be Oceanic Pulsation, some older stuff like that

+Chaos Blade+
30th December 2005, 9:26 PM
Countenance of the Beast? I like. However, Oceanic Pulsation doesn't make sense, being that Water Pulse could refer to all sorts of aquatic elements. I'm perhaps thinking: "Pulsation of the Water"?

I got some more for future attacks: "Rush" [Quick Attack], "Erratic Rush of Rage" [Extremespeed], and "Intimidation with the Eyes" [Leer]

Olyon
30th December 2005, 9:29 PM
I'm not too keen on them to be honest. Some of them sound a little too simple, such as the recent 'intimidation with the eyes'. However, it does sound like a good idea for older times; the way most are phrased fit in with those times well.

But like I said, some seem a little too broken down and simple.

+Chaos Blade+
30th December 2005, 9:34 PM
I just thought of those, Olyon, so they're a bit simplified. Once I get my trusty thesaurus and dictionary with me during the final productions, I shall create more sophisticated and older-sounding. Okay? ;)

Saffire Persian
31st December 2005, 1:12 AM
I think it's a rather good idea - I like it. I found it rather amusing on the side, too - so kudos to you for thinking that up.

The Big Al
31st December 2005, 1:26 AM
Blast of the Aqua Titan (Water Spout)
Blast of the Terra Titan (Erruption)

Of course these are the ultimate attack of the Kyogre and Groudon and titan is a very good way to describe them.

PDL
31st December 2005, 1:57 AM
these all sound like Yu-Gi-Oh cards... XD...

Eternal Daydreamer
31st December 2005, 2:14 AM
Greedy Riches (Pay Day)
Song of Loudness (Uproar)

These two above are very random, I think...

PDL
31st December 2005, 2:18 AM
Cobweb of entrapment (Spider web)
Fit of forgetfulness (Amnesia)
Moment of springtime (Aromatherapy)
Crocodile tears of deception (Fake Tears)
Mysterious light of fright (Confuse Ray)

I could name more..

Eternal Daydreamer
31st December 2005, 2:31 AM
Flora Blade (Leaf Blade)
Wings of the Sword (Steel Wing)
Attack of the Night Dweller (Faint Attack)
Charge of Finality (Takedown)
Arms of Trapping (Wrap)

The Big Al
31st December 2005, 3:06 AM
Veil of Darkness (Night Shade)
Night Hammer (Sadow Ball)
Hellfire (Fire Spin)

Eternal Daydreamer
31st December 2005, 3:33 AM
Areo Flyer (Arial Ace)
Lovers Kiss (Sweet Kiss)
Young Lover (Attract)
Rolling Wheel (Rollout)
Head Hitting (Headbutt)

Bu†cH
31st December 2005, 5:31 AM
Thor's Hammer-Thunder
Force of God's Wrath-Hyper Beam
Devil's Trap, Devil's Twister, Cage of Hell-Fire Spin
Blow of the Phoenix-Sky Attack
Ram-Tackle
Thor's Punch-Thunderpunch
Hammer Tail-Iron Tail

Faerie
31st December 2005, 5:37 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. It's certainly unique, and I've never heard of anything quite like it before. Things change over time, of course, and having different attack names for olden times makes a lot of sense. I don't see why no one thought of it before. If you don't mind, I have some suggestions...

Original | New
Morning Sun | Morn Faerie's Dance *
Shadow Ball | Sphere of Darkness **
Air Cutter | Aerial Scythe
Aurora Beam | Borealis Arrow **
Silver Wind | Glistening Gale
Howl | Requiem of the Demon

* = This is an old English spelling of the word, and it should be used this way instead of the newer spelling.
** = Inspired by Bawooga, who is sitting beside me as I post this.

I may think of some more later. I think that your fic will turn out well, judging by what I've heard so far.

IceKing
31st December 2005, 5:52 AM
Hmm lemme try and make some good ones now. Heres some from my Jynx Moveset

Attract- Malediction of the Heart
Ice Beam-Arctic Ray
Blizzard-Rage of the Tundra
Ice Punch-Frigid Strike
Mean Look-Malignant Glower
Lovely Kiss-Kiss of death! *is getting lazy*

Ash_Junior
31st December 2005, 7:02 AM
in theory, it's a good idea, but...

in practice, it's too clunky.

seriously.

look at how wordy these are!

if you were in a battle, you'd want quick, terse commands so you could get more attacks in, not commands that take five seconds just to say!

*chuckles*

seriously.

just think about it.

Shadowcat
31st December 2005, 7:58 AM
Very Nice.

Graceful Dance of the Leaf- Petal Dance
OR
Graceful Dance of the Flowers- Petal Dance
OR
Graceful Dance of the Plants- Petal Dance

Mystical Lullaby- Sing
OR
Mystical Song- Sing
OR
Mystical Melody- Sing

Song of Doom- Perish Song
OR
Song of Destruction- Perish Song
OR
Lullaby of Destruction- Perish Song
OR
Lullaby of Doom- Perish Song
OR
Melody of Destruction- Perish Song
OR
Melody of Doom- Perish Song
OR
Song of the Perished- Perish Song
OR
Lullaby of the Perished- Perish Song
OR
Melody of the Perished- Perish Song

That's all I can think of now. And I think my names suck.

Dilasc
31st December 2005, 8:38 AM
Though I am not exactly sure why ancients would be so poetic, especially in the very distant past, but it is interesting to say the least.

Anyway, back on topic:

Medusal Gaze = Glare
Spontanaity = Metronome
Neolithic Might = Ancient Power
Death Pact = Destiny Bond
Burning Smite = Fire Punch
Strike of the Arctic = Ice Punch
Thor's Hammerfist = Thunderpunch
Assassin's Tooth = Poison Fang
Ether Daggers = Spikes
Gladiator's Prized Possession = Sword Dance
Zuesly Rage = Thunderbolt
Thunder God's Ultimatum = Thunder
Zues' Warning = Thundershock
Reverberator = Mirror Coat
Hoplite's Pride = Iron Defense
Demon's Earth-Rip = Fissure
Pharoah's Revenge = Sand Tomb
Strike of the Desert = Sandstorm
Minotaur's Purity = Milk Drink (Don't ask, dang it!)
Beam of the Sinful Tree = Solarbeam
Godslaying Moltov = Sludge Bomb
Beak of the Phalanx = Drill Peck
Bird's Javelin = Peck
Rage of Two-Thousand Spears = Fury Attack
Rage of Two-Thousand Axes = Fury Swipes
Rage of Two-Thousand Darts = Pin Missile
Hammurabi's Entail = Pain Split
Reaps of Slavelabor = Cotton Spore
Divine Intervention = Endure
Godly Graces = Agility
Cerebus Cry = Roar
Posidien's Pride = Surf
Posidien's Charge = Stomp
Loki's Finger = Thief
Loki's Want = Covet
Demon's Frenzy = Outrage
Vorpal Blow = Guillotine

+Chaos Blade+
31st December 2005, 6:24 PM
Wow. O.o I can't believe you're all interested in just a different form of writing attacks. XP - I should do this more often. And some of them, like Dilasc's and Faerie's [I know olde terms, Faerie. I know teh Olde Englishe. ;)]. Thanks for the kudos and suggestions, guys.

+Chaos Blade+

Nylf
31st December 2005, 6:48 PM
Daemon's Grudge(Curse)
Daemon's Last Resort(Destiny Bond)
Draconic Wrath(Outrage)
Talons Of The Mighty(Dragon Claw)
Breath Of The Ancient(Dragon Breath)
Lost Art Of The Ancient(Dragon Dance)
Flames Of The Mighty(Dragon Rage)

Like the name for Earthquake BTW.

Eternal Daydreamer
31st December 2005, 6:52 PM
Sin of Pride (Swagger)
Hercules (Bulk Up)
Fist of Hercules (Mega Punch)
Kick of Herucles (Mega Kick)

Evanji Axu
31st December 2005, 8:09 PM
*laughs*

I don't like these names. Too clunky and artsy-fartsy. I'm seeking something simple but stylish.

Shadow Ball = Spectral Orb
Aerial Ace = Aerial Blade
Poison Fang = Venom Fang
Flamethrower = Fiery Plume (hee, plume is a funny word)
Trick = Deception
Faint Attack = Nocturnal Swipe
Perish Song = Life's Requiem
Pay Day = Gold Swipe
Morning Sun = Eos' Blessing (Eos was the Greek Goddess of the sunrise)
Moonlight = Artemis' Blessing
Synthesis = Apollo's blessing (see a pattern here?)
Safeguard = Divine Protection
Milk Drink = Mother's Milk (lolwut?)

WHEE I IZ A NERD 8D

Ryano Ra
1st January 2006, 12:48 AM
Chaos Blade, you are finally using that mind of yours. XD

The only thing, however, is the entire concept versus the era of time. In the old days, I still see them using the words that are commonly use today, such as Petal Dance, Flamethrower, Silver Wind, Hyperbeam, and so on and so forth. Though such an original and excellent idea, this will HAVE to be heavy and perfect in description so that many can get the image perfectly and know what attacks they are referring to. Though, you shouldn't have a problem, since your description is good. However, I think that people of the FUTURE would say such poetic words as though, being as when civilizations were so young and building themselves together, humanity wouldn't have been smart enough to say such powerful and descriptive words just to describe a single attack. Plus, it would have to be accompanied by most old vocabulary words, to set the particular tone and era, not mixing elements of the present with the past and such.

Trust me, I'm not discouraging you - it is a nice idea, true, but the time isn't right. You have to blend in reality with this, Chaos, not just pure imagination. You have to remember the time of era, when everything is being started, and the humans are only educating themselves on the slightest conditions. You are trying to say that since you know 'ye olde language' or whatever that people of the past would say such beautiful phrases as those. I see humanity evolving and changing styles in the future, for a Fist of Hercules describes soemthing a bit more powerful than a Mega Punch, or Talons of the Mighty not dealing with anything pertaining to a dragon. Try to make them more simplier and short, like Evanji's ideas, for those were excellent for the time in era. Unless, you change the setting to the future, then I see these happening pretty much. But, the idea is good.

You just need to either make the phrases simple and easy to understand, very easy, because you are taking about in the old days. In the old days, people didn't use such beautiful, divine words and phrases of artistry just to describe an attack. Something simplier than a Flamethower or Petal Dance would be something better than these. They'd be perfect for a future setting, oh course. ^^

PDL
1st January 2006, 5:10 PM
However, I think that people of the FUTURE would say such poetic words as though, being as when civilizations were so young and building themselves together, humanity wouldn't have been smart enough to say such powerful and descriptive words just to describe a single attack. Plus, it would have to be accompanied by most old vocabulary words, to set the particular tone and era, not mixing elements of the present with the past and such.

I wouldn't exactly describe it as "Futuristic" but more like "Victorian Era"

but you're right, most of the attack suggestions are not for the era of history the OP wants... which is the medevial era...

Ryano Ra
1st January 2006, 6:16 PM
I wouldn't exactly describe it as "Futuristic" but more like "Victorian Era"

but you're right, most of the attack suggestions are not for the era of history the OP wants... which is the medevial era...Yeah, that is one particular era where the artistic phrases would fit in perfectly. Since this is the medieval era, many people wouldn't be using such phrases and words, more like trying to develop the first signs of intelligence in the human brain and climbing in the ranks of social class and royalty families and such. Horses were transportation, so I think that the phrases and medieval era wouldn't fit so well together, being as Chaos must mix in reality with the imagination.

Naraku_Diabolos
1st January 2006, 11:12 PM
Some of these sound like Weapon Skills, Beast Skills, Job Abilities, and Blood Pact skills from FFXI... lol

However, your posts about this olden attacks...they seem like upgraded moves of previous Pokémon attacks. I like these ideas... I wish there was another thread on this Author's Café that you can make up your own Pokémon skills for your fanfics OR upgradeable moves.

Absorb -- Nutrient Intake
Mega Drain -- Major Nutrient Intake
Giga Drain -- Supreme Nutrient Intake
Acid Armor -- Secretion Shield
Agility -- Haste (FF term)
Air Cutter -- (I like Air Blade better for that term)
Ancientpower -- Eon Magnitude (did someone come up with that already?)
Arm Thrust -- Palm Thrust (Karate term is Bear Claw)
Aromatherapy -- Spring Relaxation
Assist -- Aid

Can't think of any other ones. However, I did make upgradeable moves for Pokémon in my fanfic

Air Cutter -upgrade-> Gale Buster
Blaze Kick -upgrade-> Fiery Axe Kick
Extremespeed -upgrade-> God Speed

Negrek
2nd January 2006, 3:56 AM
If you're going to do this, I suggest you do some research on Old English first. Secondly, remember that not all people talked alike even then. You have your sniffy nobles, sure, but there was a whole different set of colloquialisms back in the day; you wouldn't expect some segments of the population to get that flowery. And since pokémon training strikes me as more of a "thing" for the common types, not the nobles, you may want to rethink your naming strategy.

Saffire Persian
2nd January 2006, 4:15 AM
Another thing I feel like adding, as I've just thought of it:

When I read over your attacks, the words you use, while they sound cool and all, are long. When you think about it, the Pokémon moves in use today aren't really more than 3-4 syllables each (can't think of any that are more than that). The ones you have are more than that for the most part.

I believe they are small in syllable count for a reason, they're easy and fast to say. After all, characters are battling, which, to me, is a process they want to get over as fast as possible, and they also want to get the orders out as fast as possible, not have a long-drawn poetry fest.

So, if you want to do that, I'd make sure that the moves - at least most of them - are shorter in syllable length. Of course, this is just my opinion.

billy5772
2nd January 2006, 5:49 AM
I agree with most of what Syra, negrek, and persian said. Reading this, I wouldn't be able to help but thing the battle was some kind of Shakespearian play. I would think the names of attacks would get simpler, too. I mean, for example, changing Scary Face to Countenance of the Beast? If they can say countenance, why not face? There were many examples like this.

It is a very interesting thought, you've had, though: to delve into the evolution of attack names. I just can't imagine them being much simpler than they already are, though. I mean, flamethrower is what it says it is: an attack throwing flames. Petal Dance is...a dance accompanied by petals. Water Pulse is, literally, a pulse of water. Shadow Ball...a ball made of shadows. I just don't see them getting much simpler. I guess that's why, in searching for "older" terms for the attacks, all that's been done is produce more convoluted ways of saying the same thing.

Maybe if you found some attacks with some more modern ideas in them...Like, instead of calling it Drill Peck, maybe the BC people called it Horn Twist or something. I don't know.

Also, I agree that the names of the attacks are short for a reason. The pokemon battling of the games may give you till your battery runs out to call an attack, but I imagine that real-life moves would have to be made more quickly. There's a Thunder attack falling from the sky, ready to fry your Milotic, and you say: Blessed Coat of Reflective Brilliance *milotic was charred*

Anyway, yeah.

Naraku_Diabolos
2nd January 2006, 6:02 AM
Yeah, I do agree 85% of what Billy said. They are a bit long, it's just that they sound cool >_> But the names of the olden attacks, they sound so aluring and I like the sound of them.

Billy, nice signature about what Zephyr Flare said in that quote lmao

+Chaos Blade+
2nd January 2006, 5:30 PM
Syra, I've always had a mind [you, on the other hand...XP].

Regarding the long descriptions of attacks, perhaps I should surprise you. I'll use the standards in the past, and since this fic won't exist in the future [50 years beyond our time, etc., if that is what you are saying], I won't use those elongated [mp?*] names either.

My mind is going nuts right now - I have so much inspiration....yet I have school tomorrow. -.- Thanks, fellow writers, for the support, but with this stroke of genius I got just last Thursday, I shall write a great new attack description and everything. Just you wait.

+Chaos Blade+

mindripper
2nd January 2006, 5:41 PM
Wait wait. I know my share of the older strains of the english language, but I wonder why this is even applicable to a battle? The point of commands is that they are supposed to be terse and to the point. Take the anime for example. How many episodes have we seen thus far which focus on a Pokemon and a trainer having an almost telepathic relationship, making communication between the two so much easier? The point is to attempt to eliminate exhanges between trainer and battler, not to linguistically furnish it with flowery manipulation.

Scary Face to Countenance of the Beast

The attack would sound nice, but highly impractical. If I was a trainer, I would numerically categorise attacks instead and just run them off, like hotkeys in RPG games. Get your battlers to memorise the individual linkages, and you already have an advantage over someone who is actually making the attack commands LONGER. Of course, this does little good to your fic, but the point is to give a feel, right? Then change the language, while keeping the commands identical. Change the accent, or syllable emphasis. Play with it, instead of taking a logical step backwards with this. SOunds great, but fails terribly in application.

Ryano Ra
2nd January 2006, 5:48 PM
Syra, I've always had a mind [you, on the other hand...XP].

Regarding the long descriptions of attacks, perhaps I should surprise you. I'll use the standards in the past, and since this fic won't exist in the future [50 years beyond our time, etc., if that is what you are saying], I won't use those elongated [mp?*] names either.

My mind is going nuts right now - I have so much inspiration....yet I have school tomorrow. -.- Thanks, fellow writers, for the support, but with this stroke of genius I got just last Thursday, I shall write a great new attack description and everything. Just you wait.

+Chaos Blade+Hey! >3 *mexoplodes* Yeah, mexoplodes!

You have to make sure to watch, very carefully, about the word choice and such. And yes, I have a lot of inspiration, but the fear of school restarting tomorrow tears through my mind. XD Good luck.

+Chaos Blade+
2nd January 2006, 6:04 PM
I'll bring my laptop to school tomorrow and work on Din, but I'll say I'm typing notes, except in History, as I am not doing too well in there. -.- Thanks for the comments, and I hope I can get Din up by Spring.

The Muffin Man
5th January 2006, 7:48 AM
You have to be careful not to try and make them "olde" and end up just messing it up.

Guillotine? Guillotines were in use for over 300 years. They wouldn't change it.

Vice Grip would probably be changed to something like Snap. Simple things.

In fact, most of the attack names probably came from basic things the pokemon did that simply grew in appeal.

Maybe a Magneton had a habit of supercharging his Thunder into a ball, and throwing it off a bit wildly? And instead of "Ball Thunder" the trainer decided "Zap Cannon" was a good idea.

SnoringFrog
6th January 2006, 2:15 AM
I do agree partially with what those who have said the commands were too long for soemthing that one would want to end quickly, but I also disagree with it.

I don't know too much about history of any kind, so if any of this is in any way inaccurate, I apologize, I'll try to keep the number of things referring to history at a minimum.

Now onto my point. From what I've been told, and from what I've seen in some of the classics and older books that I have read, sentences used to be longer things in years past, but as the pace of society became faster, sentence structure was shortened to what we are used to today-- shorter sentences.

Considering that, I would say that in the past, trainers would speak in better (and probably longer) sentences; this would in turn lead to longer commands for battles. However, as civilazation progressed, or as some people began changing their battle styles, the longer commands becam obsolete as the new, shorter ones were introduced. But, if you're going for the Medival ages, then I do think that less complicated would be the way to go.