PDA

View Full Version : Staters

~*Mudkip Fantastic*~
31st December 2005, 5:41 PM
How do you think someone in say Goldenrod would get thier starte Pokemon?

Evanji Axu
31st December 2005, 5:54 PM
I dunno...get it from a family member? My RP char is from Olivine, and her father got her a Cyndaquil for her birthday.

Uchiha Obito
31st December 2005, 5:57 PM
maybe he adopted one?

Eternal Daydreamer
31st December 2005, 5:59 PM
Daycare, adopted, family member. In a story I have in my head, a young teenager from a small town that isn't New Bark Town got a Pokemon at her high school regestration.

IceKing
31st December 2005, 6:30 PM
He could always go to Professor Elm in New Bark Town and get a starter, but it would be cooler if he got a more original one. Perhaps he can catch one from the bug catching contest in National Park with a pokemon lend to him by a family member? That's what I would do

+Chaos Blade+
31st December 2005, 6:34 PM
In one of my older fics, I have had a Cyndaquil, an orphan-like one, look for a home, and the protagonist took him for some care and protection, and eventually, they become one, in a way.

Guitar dude bill
31st December 2005, 6:36 PM
He could always go to Professor Elm in New Bark Town and get a starter, but it would be cooler if he got a more original one. Perhaps he can catch one from the bug catching contest in National Park with a pokemon lend to him by a family member? That's what I would do
Going to prof elm is too unoriginal. But going to national park is a very good idea. I had the idea as well.

Nylf
31st December 2005, 6:40 PM
It could be finding it when it's lost or abandoned, they could've won it at Game Corner, got it at a Bug catching contest, given it by family, given it by friend/lover(what, you never know?), just found it quite randomly, saved it from Team Rocket. There are no limits, go crazy. I had one MC be abondened with a Pokemon. Then the legendaries raised him and this Pokemon, so it became his starter when he returned to 'civilization'. And he wasn't a G-s.

Eternal Daydreamer
31st December 2005, 6:46 PM
Well, I have this theory if young people don't become trainers when they are young, they will be given a Pokemon when they get to high school. *shrug* That's what I think.

~*Mudkip Fantastic*~
31st December 2005, 7:12 PM
Its for a story im writing and his dad is dead and his mum has no pokemon.
I was wondering.. Would the gym leader give him one because the way he gets one in my story is wierd.

Nylf
31st December 2005, 7:15 PM
As I said there are no limits. If you think that, use it and justify. As long as you give some form of justification for it, I can't see why anyone should complain about it plot wise.

~*Mudkip Fantastic*~
31st December 2005, 7:19 PM
Falling out of the sky? WITHOUT HITTING ANYTHING!

Nylf
31st December 2005, 7:25 PM
If I say it once more I'll pull my tails out. THERE ARE NO LIMITS. Look, this is what you do:

Think up a scenario, in your case falling from the sky.
Look at it from all angles, the thing that falls, the kid's whatever. Things that see it fall are best done as well.
Justify it, why is it falling? Why didn't hit anything?
Done.

It isn't hard. I forget limits most the time and use that system. How do you think I got away with putting Ho-oh in an AAML? Limits are made to be forgotten. It;s your fic, you shouldn't need to check if an idea's ok unless it's really risky ground, like rape, homosexualism, existing characters, cliches whatever. And falling from the sky quite randomly isn't those.

Leon
31st December 2005, 7:28 PM
what about using his pet as one, i usually use that in fan-fics

~*Mudkip Fantastic*~
31st December 2005, 7:35 PM
I can't say why it was flying but it didn't hit anything because there had been a storm
I can just imagine a snorlax falling from the sky. Not Pretty

indigestible_wad
31st December 2005, 8:33 PM
Or try a bird falling from the sky. That wouldn't be too hard to explain.

Psychic
1st January 2006, 3:53 AM
If it falls from the sky, it should be a flying type. If it is, there could be multiple reasons for this:
It's a baby so it's young and has poorly developed skills is fly, so it could have:
-gotten lost when it left the nest
-pack flew south for the winter
-captured by __(person/predator Pokemon)__ and got away/was released

Or, yunno, it could not fall out of the sky.

I mean, maybe the main character has a relative or friend who's gone on a journey and one of their Pokemon had a baby. The Pokemon could be given to the main character, you know.
THERE IS A DAYCARE JUST SOUTH OF GOLDENROD. They could go there and get a bred Pokemon. *pointing out obvious*

Abandones/wounded Pokemon is really cliche, and they always warm up to the main character right away, so stay away from that.

I personally see no reason for the mother not to take the kid to Elm to get a starter. It's perfectly logical and not the least bit unoriginal, seeing as that is how MOST TRAINERS ARE SUPPOSED TO GET THEIR STARTER. That way they can also get registered and get a liscense and PokeDex. It makes the most sense.

~Psychic

~*Mudkip Fantastic*~
1st January 2006, 10:21 AM
I just don't see how they could go through Ilex forest and the cave to get to New Bark when niether of them have a Pokemon
And it doesn't have to be a flying type. It could be a Pokemon that can fly but isn't a flying type. Like a Beldum or Beedrill

pokeplayer984
1st January 2006, 1:35 PM
Wait, here's a crazy idea. Make it not be a flying type at all, not even one that can fly. How do you make your plot work still? Here's the idea...

A certian unnamed trainer is fed up with a certian pokemon of his/hers. As an attempt to pernamently get rid of the pokemon, he/she throws the pokemon off one of the tallest buildings. Now guess who's there to save that pokemon from a not too pretty death?

Or, here's another angle to go at. The pokemon at hand is greatly depressed for whatever reason and decides to commit suicide by jumping off a tall building. Guess who saves that pokemon?

See? There are a number of ways to pull off the falling out of the sky thing.

Do what you want. Go crazy! When it comes to plots, the world of imagination knows no bounds. :)

~*Mudkip Fantastic*~
1st January 2006, 4:25 PM
i didn't know Pokemon could be suicidle.
I wonder what else gos on in the pokemon underworld?

The thing is this certain Pokemon can fly but isn't a flying type. It was sent by someone to this person but was attacked on the way thats why it fell.
But I can't think of a Pokemon to be in the attack. There will be a Skarmory but I don't want o use a flock of Spearows because 1.The force was sent by someone I don't think would use Spearow. 2.I don't like Spearow and 3.I think they are overused as a Pokemon that attacks in flocks. Any ideas?

Yami Ryu
1st January 2006, 4:35 PM
I have only seen one fic, ever, well two if you include the sequal, that had a Spearow as the Starter pokemon. That's not over used, that's Under Used, and the person gave a good backstory to the Spearow. It had been abused by a previous trainer for not being strong enough and not evolving as soon as the first trainer wanted, and was injured a bit when the main character got him, and it took about three chapters or so before the Spearow even started to begin to trust the new trainer.

But fine, if you don't want Spearow, and if you do want a pokemon falling from the sky, you could do as the others say, a bird pokemon gets attacked by another bird pokemon. It wouldn't be an uncommon sight. Maybe a Pidgey getting attacked by a Fearow or a Skarmory, or as Psychic suggested; A baby bird pokemon fell from the nest. Like a Taillow or something.

And Beldum don't fly, they levitate. There's a difference. They can hover over the ground but technically, they can't fly like Beedrill can and do.

Or if you don't want a bird, you could have a Hoppip. Or a young Butterfree or Beautifly, or even a pokemon the bird of prey took off into the sky. But I don't see how a pokemon falling from the sky, and then caught by your character could survive as the more distance/hieght equals a greater speed it can reach. So the person might have to try a risky manuver of catching it in a pokeball before it crashed to the ground.

Nylf
1st January 2006, 4:36 PM
Swellow, Pidgeottos, Pidgeots, Flygons, Gligars. Again, no limits. Use whatever you think is a good idea. Try reading the dex if you're stuck.

~*Mudkip Fantastic*~
1st January 2006, 5:40 PM
I meant Spearow as the attacking pokemon!
But could a Beldum levitate itself and survive a fall through a window and onto a bed if it was as high as the 3rd floor of the department store

Grandmaster Chao
1st January 2006, 5:56 PM
Ask prof. Elm 2 catch 1 for them

~*Mudkip Fantastic*~
1st January 2006, 5:58 PM
I would but he can't get there because he has no Pokemon

The True Champion
1st January 2006, 6:13 PM
Well if you want Beldum as the starter pokemon and to fall from the sky then have it captured by team rocket and they are in a helicoptor going over goldenrod and they are hit by something lets a skarmory because it needs to be a strong pokemon and the rocket member holding the pokeball drops it out of the open door and starts falling to the ground and your main character sees it and lets say he was going to the bug catching contest so he has a net and catchs the pokeball in the net. Since he needs a pokedex and some pokeballs to start his journey you could have him get it from the gym leader. If you want to make it some what dramatic you could have him staring at a picture of beldum saying how he has always wanted that pokemon and when his parents tell him to go catch a pokemon at the bug catching contest they get into a fight and says how he never really wanted a bug pokemn as a starter but being suck in this hell hole i have no chose and he slams the door, and the next day he decides to go and get a bug pokemon with the pokemon his dad left him to use because its better to have a pokemon then not.

~*Mudkip Fantastic*~
1st January 2006, 6:17 PM
Thats a really good idea thanks. I had always wanted Team Rocket involved with the Beldum ishhue but that was way better than anything i thought up thanks1

Eternal Daydreamer
1st January 2006, 6:17 PM
How about planes/cars? He could get there many ways without walking! But why not go to the Daycare center? That really would be a good idea.

Falling out of the sky? In a big city like Goldenrod? Wouldn't another more skilled trainer catch it before your character does? Unless you do it at night. But it all depends, I wouldn't suggest it however.

All of it depends on the plot.

The True Champion
1st January 2006, 6:22 PM
Yea night is better if you want go with what i said then instead he heads out at night with his net and his dads pokemon just ****** off at the world and he looks up and sees the action in the sky and the pokeball falling and catching it in the net. I also agree with La Carlotta goldenrod is a big city so he could be walking toward the the national park or at the national park because team rocket isn't stupid so they probaly wouldn't go over a city even at night so the park or the route to the park would be good places where it could happen

~*Mudkip Fantastic*~
1st January 2006, 6:28 PM
Well I think Team Rocket are stupid wether its Jessie, James and Meowth or Cassidy and Biff. But Giovanni isn't though

The True Champion
1st January 2006, 7:06 PM
Yea don't use those characters i mean don't use all of them but Giovanni he is the leader i hate what anime did with team rocket an evil orgaization shouldn't be stupid. You should come up with new characters for team rocket members and i beg you don't make them morons i can't stand it when that happens, if you want to see what team rocket really should be like read some of the manga it shows what they really should be like evil and not morons. Also don't read GSC for team rocket because that is nothing like the one you want to use, read the RBG series you will probaly like it.

~*Mudkip Fantastic*~
2nd January 2006, 10:27 AM
Don't worry Team Rocket will get the respect they deserve in my fic.
Well i've worked out how he gets Beldum anone want to know?
Oh its shiney.;374; ;227;

Never belive the anime because it shows stuff that isn't possible. Like Caterpies with Counter

Seijiro Mafuné
2nd January 2006, 11:43 AM
Shinies tend to be considered fic-ruiners, but hopefully it ain't. Besides, it seems to be original enough to work.

Yami Ryu
2nd January 2006, 12:43 PM
Never belive the anime because it shows stuff that isn't possible. Like Caterpies with Counter

Maybe you've confused the anime with an animation someone did about a Caterpie pwning a Steelix...

Anyways, Shinies for the main character usually do turn a fic sour, our make it have a very rough start as the chances for getting a shiny is rare. It'd be like going to a petshop and buying an Albino, or the extreme opposite of an Albino pet. It's most likely not gonna happen in your lifetime, let alone to you.

What's wrong with a normal colored pkmn as the starter? You're already giving him a Beldum, which is a Steel/Psychic version of Dragonite, Tyranitar and Salamence, IE above the norm in power and attacks.

And please, PLEASE do not use the smilies like that, they're abused enough. You're not gonna randomly say 'Pikachu' or 'Flygon' or 'Lugia' so don't use random smilies like that please.

Guitar dude bill
2nd January 2006, 1:41 PM
Yeah I think falling out of the sky is a good idea. To be honest I think it's better off not a flying type 'coz then the trainer could save it. I think falling out of the sky is a good idea.

~*Mudkip Fantastic*~
2nd January 2006, 4:07 PM
NO in episode Ash Catches a Pokemon Ash uses Caterpie against Pidgeyotto and says "Caterpie Counter!"
And this isn't just any Beldum AND Beldum themselves are weak ALL THEY CAN DO IS TAKE DOWN and they useually kill themselves

Psychic
2nd January 2006, 4:30 PM
>.< You forget how ultra rare Beldum are and how powerful their evolved forms are.
And BELDUM CAN'T FLY, so it falling out of the sky is RIDICULOUSLY STUPID. And making it a Shiny? That is something MOST n00bs do in their fics, SO STAY AWAY FROM DOING IT.

A Beldum falling out of the sky? NOT POSSIBLE. BELDUM CAN'T FLY; THEY FLOAT. THEY LEVITATE. THEY DO NOT FLY. So having one fall out of the sky makes close to zero sense.

So you've pretty much taken all the good ideas you've been given and pushed them away to make an unrealistic, n00bish beginning to a fic which already sounds horrible.
And by the way, a Shiny Beldum starter has been done before. Some n00b PMed me the idea and asked me to help co-write, but when I saw the Shiny Beldum itself, I refused. The fic ended up being horrible (and is gone from the Serebii archieves, so don't even bother doing a search for it).
Unless you want your fic to end up like his, I suggest you give your character a REALISTIC STARTER.
For advise on what starters are good and what starters are bad, check out this thread: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=98677
It will help you A LOT.

PLEASE for the love of all that is good LISTEN to us. People who've been around and know as much about fics such as myself and Renegade know what we're talking about.

Oh, and Nylf? Getting a fully evolved Flygon for a starter is NOT a good idea. I know how obsessed you are with the dragon, but this is a BEGINNING trainer. He wil not get such a powerful Pokemon.

~Psychic

Nylf
2nd January 2006, 7:39 PM
I wasn't recommending it as a starter, but as the Pokemon attacking. Shiny starters don't make a fic n00bish immediatly, they just make it harder to convince people that it isn't n00bish. I kinda can't crit that topic anyway without being hypocritical.

Yami Ryu
2nd January 2006, 8:22 PM
NO in episode Ash Catches a Pokemon Ash uses Caterpie against Pidgeyotto and says "Caterpie Counter!"
And this isn't just any Beldum AND Beldum themselves are weak ALL THEY CAN DO IS TAKE DOWN and they useually kill themselves

Ever think it wasn't the attack itself but an attempt for Caterpie to try and counter attack with Tackle? And it's *Pidgeotto.

Beldum is no different than Dratini/Larvitar/Bagon. They evolve into Metagross. That's what I meant by being no different to the first stage's final forms. Just because it can only do take down doesn't mean it's weak. It's a what, 50+ lbs of steel striking a pokemon? The Pokemon is probably gonna be OHKO'd or hurt very, very, very badly in the attack.

Which means that your trainer is getting an over powered pokemon right off the start of the bat.

As Psychic says, you're turning down the good ideas to help your fic to turn it into a noobish pile of bad ideas and worse starters.