PDA

View Full Version : do you consider saving a hint?

Kagome Higurashi
2nd January 2006, 8:00 PM
some people seem to think saving or general physical contact is a hint, while others don't. do you think it is? this is the place to debate about it!

Toran Frostbite
2nd January 2006, 8:06 PM
Saving shouldn't be considered a hint. I don't like my brother, I like my friend. I would save both from anything under my own power, because regardless of how much I like them, I /care/. Does saving my brother equal a fictional hint to incestual 'shipping? Not necessarily. I save a random person. Hint? No. I don't even know them. Why'd I do it? Because it's the right thing to do.

cold_katanagirl
2nd January 2006, 8:10 PM
I would usually say no.

The only time I really consider saving to be a hint (and even if I do, it's nothing huge) is if there's some type of shippy influence on it. Sort of like Inuyasha picking to save Kagome (and Miroku and the others, as if he cares about them XD) instead of going after Kikyou like he would normally do.

... So yeah, it depends.

Swifty
2nd January 2006, 8:13 PM
The answer is no unless a considerable amount of sacrifice is being executed by the party doing the saving. Saving a friend from harm or injury should be always expected. However when the individual him/herself saves a loved one in a high risk situation with no consideration towards his/her own safety, that's when I'll call it a hint. One of the most profound elements of human love is sacrifice. If an individual is willing to risk and sacrifice him/her own well being for a significant other, that's profound love working right there.

intergalactic platypus
2nd January 2006, 11:28 PM
Only in VERY few situations. People overdo it as a hint, but it can be a big one in certain contexts

Lady Barbara
3rd January 2006, 10:54 PM
^ What Swifty said. It can be a hint, given the appropriate context.

Shego
4th January 2006, 3:02 PM
Well, it depends on the situation for a certain someone that in danger. If someone who save hid/her life properly, I consider as a hint. But if someone who improperly save his/her life, I don't consider as a hint. So it's best for a gentleman to treat a woman with honor,trust,and respect.

Sharpshooter
5th January 2006, 9:44 AM
Well it would look stupid if someone was in a near-death situation and no one did anything about it.

But I think sometimes saving people can lead to shippy moments shortly after, depending on the relationship between the two of course. Ash and Misty were notourious for shippy moments after certain rescue operations, like that in the Movie 2000.

CyberCubed
6th January 2006, 2:38 AM
Yeah, whatever I was going to say has already been said by everyone above.

So basically I posted in this thread just to say "I agree."

Wheee.

Revolutionary Destiny
6th January 2006, 11:28 PM
It depends. If it's a life-or-death situation where one of the characters needs to be saved, then no.

But other than that (and considering the circumstances of the situation and how the people know each other [ex: relatives, friends, etc.], then yes.

Meganium Ex
15th January 2006, 3:06 AM
No...

Seriously, why would saving be a hint? Becuase you save the ones you love?...Waitta mintue; that actually makes sence![/sarcasm]

Think about it...Wait, if Ash saved Pikachu, that means...Oh no!... :o

Satoshi
15th January 2006, 3:10 AM
....No.

Saving should not be considered a hint. Saving =/= Loving

Only on certain occassions (which people have mentioned earlier) does it equal to a hint.
Think about it...Wait, if Ash saved Pikachu, that means...Oh no!... :o
You sooooooo stole that from me. :P

Meganium Ex
15th January 2006, 3:14 AM
Yep, I even thought about copy and pasting it! ;)

Jo-Jo
15th January 2006, 4:37 AM
In fairness, the hero saving his love-interest's life happens in stories a LOT. It does depend on the context, though. And in Pokemon, the whole issue is muddied because for every rescue scene that looks like it might be shippy, there'll be another one involving one of the characters with someone else. IMO, the only time on the show when romance was deliberately implied was when Misty saved Ash in Pokemon 2000.

Hakajin
15th January 2006, 6:06 AM
I agree with most everyone, that it depends upon the situation. Like, when Ash has to save Misty from Team Rocket (you know, in the one where Brock meets Susie), absolutely not. In fact, he didn't seem very concerned about her at all. No he didn't. But in P2K, which I know just about every Pokeshipper here will cite, it's completely different. Especially given Misty's line right before. Both the Japanese and English versions are shippy. So it really depends on what's going on.

Now, just because I don't think it means much doesn't mean I don't like it. That's the sort of thing that brings people closer together. And I always think it's cute, even if I don't think it's a hint.

Andromache
15th January 2006, 9:28 AM
I agree that saving people is cute, but I don't think it automatically means romantic interest. Brock rescued Natalie from the Beedrill in the Lotad ep, but it's very clear the crush is one-sided.