PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Ball: Censored...AGAIN?!

Chris
2nd January 2006, 9:48 PM
I walked in to my local bookstore and headed over to the manga section. Something caught my eye about one of the Dragon Ball books. It had the new Viz Media logo. I skimmed through it and noticed something off..

Viz has begun to print the manga in edited formats, replacing the older ones.

In Volume 9, Kuririn has Goku bring Muten Roshi and Bulma as a plan for Yamcha to see the Invisible Man. As soon as they're brought over, Kuririn pulls down Bulma's top and Roshi has a geyser of a nosebleed, which covers Invisible Man.

Now, what Viz did here was erase Bulma's nipples and drew a bra on her.

It's rather..dumb that they're now going back and editing the manga. Years ago, there was a big stink over Viz editing the manga due to an outraged parent who bought the book for her kid and was unaware of the nudity and slight perversion in it. Fans were outraged and demanded at least two versions; edited and uncensored. Viz brought back the uncensored one, with a wrapping and sticker that said it wasn't for kids under 13. All was fine until later into the Cell saga when they began editing again.

So for anyone who's still out to get the Dragon Ball manga, I'd suggest you get the ones with the regular Viz logo found on the spine. It pretty much looks like an animal reading a book. The Viz Media logo is on the reprinted, edited versions. I'm still trying to figure out if it's on all of Dragon Ball since I only saw Vol. 9 with the logo and edit.

Figured I should let people in on that.

Ohtachi
2nd January 2006, 10:26 PM
Last time I strolled to the local book store and read the Dragonball Mangas, nothing was censored. Of course I am very picky on what Mangas I buy so I didn't purchase them. However, I only enjoy the original Dragonball. If I'm correct, you're reffering to Dragonball so I just thought you ought to know. I find censoring the Mangas is ruining them. Mangas should be read in their original states. Not tampered with. ;/

That Scary Clefairy
3rd January 2006, 12:13 AM
That must suck. Viz(well the SJ lines) are starting to become pussies and are seems to be afraid of the goddamn soccer moms. It starting to make me want to impale those *****es up their asses just like Vald Tepes did to his subjects.

Chris
3rd January 2006, 1:54 AM
Last time I strolled to the local book store and read the Dragonball Mangas, nothing was censored. Of course I am very picky on what Mangas I buy so I didn't purchase them. However, I only enjoy the original Dragonball. If I'm correct, you're reffering to Dragonball so I just thought you ought to know.
Yeah, it's just the set that Viz labels as Dragon Ball. That's pretty much untouched aside from the black person edits (such as Popo or Invisible Man's lips). Unfortunately, it seems they changed it from a Teen manga to an All Ages manga and has begun giving it the standard edits they give A rated manga.

Yanno, I don't see the point. They're not editing a manga just so it can make the shelves like anime is to make it on television. There's a lot worse out there. Wouldn't it make more sense to translate it and then rate it?

"Dragon Ball Z" is mostly edited. From Saiyan to Freeza, those're pretty much untouched minus Piccolo's "Light of Death" and the Ginyu Special Corps playing "Roshambo" rather than Janken. From the start of the Cell saga, calling the Artificial Humans by the term "Androids" and then even calling Mr. Satan by the name "Hercule," the manga fell apart.

Ohtachi
3rd January 2006, 2:37 AM
From the start of the Cell saga, calling the Artificial Humans by the term "Androids" and then even calling Mr. Satan by the name "Hercule," the manga fell apart.

I didn't know the Dragonball Z Mangas were edited to that extent. No wonder I disliked Dragonball Z so much. I might've preferred it better if Dragonball Z was untouched. :/

That Scary Clefairy
3rd January 2006, 2:38 AM
Yeah, it's just the set that Viz labels as Dragon Ball. That's pretty much untouched aside from the black person edits (such as Popo or Invisible Man's lips). Unfortunately, it seems they changed it from a Teen manga to an All Ages manga and has begun giving it the standard edits they give A rated manga.

Yanno, I don't see the point. They're not editing a manga just so it can make the shelves like anime is to make it on television. There's a lot worse out there. Wouldn't it make more sense to translate it and then rate it?

"Dragon Ball Z" is mostly edited. From Saiyan to Freeza, those're pretty much untouched minus Piccolo's "Light of Death" and the Ginyu Special Corps playing "Roshambo" rather than Janken. From the start of the Cell saga, calling the Artificial Humans by the term "Androids" and then even calling Mr. Satan by the name "Hercule," the manga fell apart.

I agree with you right there. I believe it because of how popular DB(Z) really is(to the kids I mean), and because of that, it kinda forced Viz to level it down to their level so they can "enjoy" it without ****ing parents having to be supicious and etc. I still don't agree with the method though.

Ohtachi
3rd January 2006, 2:41 AM
Dragonball I find a timeless classic, but if it was censored when I read it, then nah. It takes away from the story. It is just as bad as what changes they made with Dragonball Z. I don't even watch Dragonball GT, just to let everyone know.

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix
3rd January 2006, 3:06 AM
>>
What is it with people.
DBZ is rated A right? *goes to check* Yep. But, theres plenty of blood, and Raditz says 'Damn' atleast once.
I never realy got the impression that DB/Z was a Kids manga. Bump it to Teen and stop useless edits.

Manjoume
3rd January 2006, 3:24 AM
This wasn't surprising. They are pretty much censoring everything from swears (even damn, which is hardly considered a swear) to the middle finger. Hell, they are even censoring crosses now.

So for anyone who's still out to get the Dragon Ball manga, I'd suggest you get the ones with the regular Viz logo found on the spine. It pretty much looks like an animal reading a book. The Viz Media logo is on the reprinted, edited versions. I'm still trying to figure out if it's on all of Dragon Ball since I only saw Vol. 9 with the logo and edit.
I have to agree with you. Soon they'll just recall them, and send out the censored ones. I think they did this with Naruto already.

But last time I checked, violence is worse then language. Yet, lets turn blood into a better thing. Let kids see blood seeping through the wounds of a dead man.

Cipher
3rd January 2006, 6:12 AM
I was under the impression that Viz had adopted ratings for a reason. But what's the point of having a "T+" rating if you just censor everything deserving of it to fall into an "All ages" category? And last time I checked there were mangas out there MUCH worse than Dragonball.

asia_catdog_blue
3rd January 2006, 8:48 AM
This is why I HATE KIDS AND PARENTS WHO CARE TOO MUCH! Why can't they just leave it alone?
Did they censored Goku's groian?

Chris
3rd January 2006, 9:17 AM
I don't know since all I saw was Volume 9 with the Viz Media logo.

What's odd about all of this is that they've decided to edit it NOW out of no where. When there was no big fuss like there was years ago. Now it seems like the petition to keep Dragon Ball uncut that forced Viz to stop editing the manga was for nothing. :\

I didn't know the Dragonball Z Mangas were edited to that extent.
It gets worse. Majin Buu was named Djinn Buu, or Buu the Djinn. It works in the sense that Buu's like a Djinn. But it falls apart with the M on his belt and that the kanji for Ma in his name is the same as the one on Piccolo Daimao's shirt.

Conan-the-3rd
3rd January 2006, 7:38 PM
As long as they are not touching Saikano, I could care less.

besides, the last thing I want is the UK anime market to get bombed due to that whole bulma nipple issue.

One edit isn't going to kill no one

and for the record, I was under the impression that they mentioned that "Mr Satan" was Hurcule's wrestling name and was drived from his Sirname.

Ohtachi
3rd January 2006, 9:18 PM
Well then, I'm glad I stopped reading the Manga. Whne I read the DBZ Mangas they were okay (better than the Anime if you aks me), but I would've liked it more unedited. Now I just flat out dislike Dragonballs Z & GT. Although I still like Dragonball.

Xkraid
3rd January 2006, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure if it's Viz but i have the first 4 issues, Son Goku's... You know was showing a lot and Bulma is seen in the shower with her Breasts showing.

Satoshi
4th January 2006, 12:31 AM
I'm not sure if it's Viz but i have the first 4 issues, Son Goku's... You know was showing a lot and Bulma is seen in the shower with her Breasts showing.
That's because you have the version of the manga that wasn't censored.

Ohtachi
4th January 2006, 2:08 AM
My local book store still sells the uncensored Manga. ;P ----> :D

Chris
4th January 2006, 5:32 AM
One edit isn't going to kill no one
One edit? Gohan was circumcized in DBZ Vol. 2 after changing back from the Great Ape form. The Ginyu Special Corps are playing "Roshambo" when they're actually playing Janken (Viz didn't even probably know what Roshambo was). The term Jinzoningen means "Man-made" or "Artificial Human." They went for the Android route and only explained #17 and #18 as being Cyborgs in the Shonen Jump pages. The characters are now shaking a fist at Cell on a chapter cover page, rather than flipping him the bird. Dialogue has been changed for the worse (Gohan's "What of it?" in regards to Cell demonstrating his full power and asking what he thinks of it was changed to a large font "Whoopee." to fill the word bubble). #17 holding a gun to a man's head was edited so that he no longer held a gun (ala YGO pointing style). Mr. Satan became Hercule. Majin Buu became Boo the Djinn or Djinn Boo. Satan City (which is called Hercule City in the cut dub of the anime) is named Herculopolis.

and for the record, I was under the impression that they mentioned that "Mr Satan" was Hurcule's wrestling name and was drived from his Sirname.
1) Mr. Satan is his full and only name. Hercule was given as a name to say on network television when kids were watching. The FUNimation dub is WRONG when saying his full name is Mr. Hercule Satan.

2) Mr. Satan was NEVER a wrestler. He's a martial arts champion who won the title of World's Strongest when the Z-Senshi weren't competing in the previous Tenka'ichi Budokai.

3) Viz had no reason to change his name to Hercule. They acknowledge his name is Mr. Satan in the Japanese version yet chose not to use it.

HK
5th January 2006, 11:40 PM
... People just really need to stay away from the Shonen Jump line of Viz right now. I really am p*ssed off at the fact that when they first came out, they had the teen rating, and they said 'damn,' 'hell,' 'a*s,' and 'b*stard.' They didn't censor anything, save for the one early edit of a nipple in the first chapter of Naruto. Hell, it is barely there in the first place, so I wouldn't have noticed it had someone not brought it up. But realisitically, when the Shonen Jump line first came out, I was glad with them.

Now, when they are more 'mainstream,' they have to appeal to the god damn, fuggin squeamish parents who want to fuggin hide things from their kids. Ya know, I'm not saying that cussing makes a manga better by any stretch of the imagination, and obviously the 'f*ck' word that is seen in scanlations in shounen manga is obviously not there. But seriously, for example, you will never hear Naruto say 'rats.' I'm sorry, but that is just fuggin lame. Is 'damn' or 'damn it' that fuggin awful to say? I mean, the 'T' rating in games gets 'damn' and 'hell', and the equivalent of movies, 'PG-13,' can even get away with one 'f*ck.'

... And they even censor their Shonen Jump Advanced line, which is just shameful. Sixteen year olds are able to handle that kind of crap, while they want to hide it...

VIZ'S. SHONEN. JUMP. LINE. IS. TURNING. INTO. CENSORED. CRAP.

Chris
5th January 2006, 11:47 PM
What's funny is that it would appear that Bleach and Beet the Vandal Buster, which are both in the SJ line, are perfectly fine and untouched.

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix
6th January 2006, 1:44 AM
What's funny is that it would appear that Bleach and Beet the Vandal Buster, which are both in the SJ line, are perfectly fine and untouched.
Maybe beacuse they arnt as main stream as DB? Bleach, well, thats realy well knonw, so, maybe not so much, but, Beet, I dont think ive seen it mentioned anywhere BUT in Shonen Jump

HK
6th January 2006, 2:19 AM
Probably no censoreship in Beet the Vandel Buster and Bleach because there is nothing to censor. Sure, Bleach is about to get really bloody with them entering the Soul Society arc, particuarly during the last three fights, but I don't think that there is anything to put out. No nudity (although there is one scene in recent chapters that they may deal with -- a hinted, or at least through fans' interpretations, lesbian scene), or middle fingers that I know of. And Beet the Vandel Buster seems too... I dunno, 'kid-friendly' to have anything bad with it.

Chris
6th January 2006, 2:39 AM
Which brings me to this point. If you can show a ton of blood and violence, what's the point in censoring middle fingers, swears, psuedo-swears, dodgy things? They're all equally on the same level, so what's the point? ;\

Cipher
6th January 2006, 3:11 AM
A couple other edits of note:

Zatch's small and undetailed penis and testicles are covered up in several scenes of Zatch Bell, much along the same lines as Goku in Dragonball.

Shaman King's Yoh wears a shirt with a cannabis leaf on it, but the leaf was mysteriously absent in Viz's version. Also in Shaman King, this one's a bit more understandable, a racoon (?) spirit's rather prominent testicles are covered up or edited out. So be glad we even got uncensored Dragonball at all.

Though, you have to admit, editing things like Dragonball and Zatch Bell to take out nudity is understandable. Even in Japan they were aimed at a younger audience, and in order to keep the same target audience in brining them state-side a few edits had to be made. Things acceptable for Japanese children just aren't considered acceptable for American children of the same age. And it's not like hiding Goku's child penis detracts from the story at all. That being said, hiding things like a goddamn pot leaf, or taking out the most tame of "swear words" even in titles aimed at teens, is rediculous, and serves no purpose whatsoever.

HK
6th January 2006, 4:18 AM
Which brings me to this point. If you can show a ton of blood and violence, what's the point in censoring middle fingers, swears, psuedo-swears, dodgy things? They're all equally on the same level, so what's the point? ;\

Because Viz's Shonen Jump line and their edits makes about as much sense as 4Kids' edits. :/

Really though, what I would honestly give just to see 'damn' and 'hell' back in the Shonen Jump titles. To not have to worry about see another 'shucks' or 'rats' again. To not have to worry about censoring the middle finger. To not censor violence. To not worry about the controversy of religious references.

If Viz would release both the uncensored versions and censored versions of the Shonen Jump line, with the censored versions that they are doing now, and having some occasional 'damn,' 'hell,' and maybe a 'b*stard' or two in there, not have any edits on nudity or violence with their uncensored versions, I'll be amused to see the sales. I don't think that Viz is dumb enough to pull a 4Kids and take off their uncensored versions simply because they sell better than the censored ones. I swear if Viz did that, then I could forgive them for the tragedy that has become their Shonen Jump line.

Mainstream anime almost always comes with editted and uneditted versions nowadays. Why can't manga?

Chris
6th January 2006, 4:57 AM
And it's not like hiding Goku's child penis detracts from the story at all.
Though ruins jokes such as Goku removing his busted up clothing from the fight with Tao Pai Pai in public to change into new clothes and then having Yamcha scold him for undressing in public. What's the point in that if there's nothing to cover up? ;\

So be glad we even got uncensored Dragonball at all.
Despite the fact that it's being quickly replaced with censored versions. :O And Dragon Ball isn't uncensored or unedited. There's still the matter of Mr. Popo's lips being edited and some quirks in the translation lines (such as Vol. 1 having Goku say on page 1 "Hey bro, wuzzup?") and then Invisible Man's lips being edited. In fact, just about almost every black man except Adjutant Black had their faces edited.

That Scary Clefairy
6th January 2006, 10:49 PM

You forgot Rurouni Kenshin. In fact Rurouni Kenshin is just about the perfect one. Sano even flip the finger and there is other stuff etc.

This is why HK and I like Dark Horse. They aren't afraid to release series with high controversial stuff. Berserk(though it's shrink wrapped) Hellsing etc are prime examples.

Seriously, I've lost faith in Viz's SJ line with exceptional few. Hell, if you ever read Viz's Bastard!!, you'll see loads of f words, other swears, nudity, sex, etc.

But yea I agree with you guys(EE and HK) mainstream stuff for kids ruin the manga.

MagmaZero
7th January 2006, 12:54 AM
Has Dr. Slump been edited at all? Besides the whole 'super punch' nonsense?

kaibachaoschampion
7th January 2006, 1:02 AM
Well, back to the old way of getting Shonen Manga for me then...

Time to go to some certain websites I can't mention here and...

Ohtachi
7th January 2006, 4:35 AM
I avoid those websites altogether. But the again, I have no reason to go to such websites to find original Dragonball Mangas. Meh, maybe I'll buy the Dragonball Mangas sometime. I always found that Bulma Playboy suit scene so funny. Ecspecially in Curse of the Blood Rubies. Now I have that movie.

Chris
7th January 2006, 5:06 AM
Has Dr. Slump been edited at all? Besides the whole 'super punch' nonsense?
Peasuke was castrated and a black man rock-'em-sock-'em like toy was edited to not have the stereotype black man face that Toriyama seems to favor drawing.

Cipher
7th January 2006, 5:14 AM
Despite the fact that it's being quickly replaced with censored versions. :O And Dragon Ball isn't uncensored or unedited. There's still the matter of Mr. Popo's lips being edited and some quirks in the translation lines (such as Vol. 1 having Goku say on page 1 "Hey bro, wuzzup?") and then Invisible Man's lips being edited. In fact, just about almost every black man except Adjutant Black had their faces edited.I didn't literally mean that we should be glad we got it at all, or that they should not make an uncensored version. I meant that with all the edits they're pulling now, it's surprising there was an uncensored version at all. I still understand why they do the edits in mangas more aimed at children, but I don't see what's stopping them from continuing with both a censored and uncensored line.