PDA

View Full Version : Extra Info: How to present?

Flaming Lip
5th January 2006, 2:07 AM
Well, I started writing my fic lately, and came to a problem immideatly. You see, the story is told from a Pokémon who has been under many trainers (he got away from them in many different ways). Now, the thing is, I want too give some background info as he narrates. I thought about taking a cue from Jonathan Stroud and useing footnotes; but it takes to much effort on thre reader to scroll down to the bottem of the page and scroll up again.

So, does anyone have any solutions?

IceKing
5th January 2006, 2:36 AM
Well, I really don't think you should do footnotes but rather incorporate the background throughout the fic. Flashbacks, dialogues, just flat out narration, that sort of thing. Personally, I think you should start off with a chapter of him remembering what happened throughout his life with a bunch of flashbacks or maybe seeing things that reminded him of his old trainers, and causes him to start telling their stories. Something of that nature, perhaps.

Flaming Lip
5th January 2006, 2:40 AM
The thing is, most of these thoughts are just incomplete, and often have little to do with another. I am thinking about putting them in parenthases or between '<>' marks. Would that work?

+Chaos Blade+
5th January 2006, 2:41 AM
Perhaps you can do what some authors do - create "Extras" or "Interludes" between chapters to present the flashbacks or noirs of the main character's past - no matter what it may be. It will help the readers [us] grasp more of the novel you wrote. But keep in mind, it needs to be like a chapter, so focus on it as if you were writing another chapter.

Good luck.

Quackerdrill
5th January 2006, 2:43 AM
hm. Interesting... Well, first let's analyze the first option, that of footnotes. It could be done; Pinecone Tortoise has used them here early on in her fic, and that proved to be pretty effective. The whole scrolling down issue, however, purely depends on the reader. Some like it (like me), while others will complain. But it is your fic, after all. It shouldn't matter.

As for other techniques... well, it really depends: is the story about this Pokemon's journey, or simply regarding his escapes from trainers? It seemed vague. But if the former is correct, then you could simply... well, just say it as he narrates. In fact, the first chapter is introduction anyways, so you could give a brief explanation of his past at the start-- or weave it into the plot as certain things are brought up. In fact, now that I think about it, this seems to be quite the interesting read... XD

As for the "incomplete thoughts", I don't believe that parentheses are needed. Or.... those arrow dealies. XD Well... it would probably help if we had an example...

Flaming Lip
5th January 2006, 2:49 AM
Brilliant. I fell for another trap. You know, I always thought that, having lived 60 years, and been under a dozen trainers, (all incompetent in one way or another, I’m afraid) it would be impossible to get captured again. But there he was, a kid that was, what, five? (humans always look the same, and they have no sense of camouflage, I mean, he wore a black t-shirt and bright red shorts... in a plain. I ask you!) Either way, I knew he was a brat by looking at him. A cocky, upper middle-class brat, who probably only just left his comfortable suburban home (oh and I bet he woke up late too), I was certain of it.

Keep in mind that I wrote that earlier to see how my idea would work (so I haven't revised it, improved much upon it). I put the thought thingies in parenthases.

EDIT: I don't have anything talking about his trainers specificly, but, I just started toying with the idea so... yeah :/

Saffire Persian
5th January 2006, 3:07 AM
Well, speaking of Jonathan Stroud's style, you could do what he did to fill in past information - he also did a series of flashbacks, alternating, I'm sure you remember from Nathaniel's past, to his present, until finally they met up with each other. Granted, the Flashbacks were rather 'long', but I don't see why you couldn't do so if you didn't want to.

Those who have already replied have also made valid suggestions. ^^

Quackerdrill
5th January 2006, 3:32 AM
Okay, now that I've seen an example, I think I know what you mean. At first, I thought that the parentheses worked well, but by the end, they felt sort of unprofessional. Er, IMO.

Maybe......... *thinks* maybe they could just be implemented into the narrative without parentheses. Like:

A cocky, upper middle-class brat, who probably only just left his comfortable suburban home... I was certain of it. Oh- and I bet he woke up late too. Heh.

I ad-libbed. XD So, yeah... the basic idea. By the way, I love the style of this. The cocky, been-there attitude is real fun to read.

Flaming Lip
5th January 2006, 3:35 AM
Alright then, I will go with that. Thanks everyone!

And also; would Nuzleaf be a good Pok&#233;mon for that charecter? I think it works but meh...

I also need a name.

Kiyohime
5th January 2006, 4:27 AM
NUZLEAF PLZ K THX BAI. XD

It's your choice, really. ^^ As for names...it's gotta suit whatever Pokemon you choose, IMO.

Misery...Hazelnut...Sapling...Hawthorn...Nuzleaf is smexy. :0