PDA

View Full Version : Optionabilizable Swear Filter!

Carpetted!
6th January 2006, 1:32 AM
The swear filter should be made so that you can turn it off or on. Or, members who are too young/don't state their birthday have all the little bad words blanked out in *, but members who are old enough, or turn it off or something can view the cusses. Not that I like swearing or watching people swear, but lots of people are evading the swear filter, rules or no rules, and... yeah. Just my opinion.

Eszett
6th January 2006, 1:40 AM
People evade it readily. Mind you, but in accordance with the rules I can't really tell you how to do it. :/

Of course, this doesn't mean you should be doing it unless you want to break the rules. :/

Carpetted!
6th January 2006, 1:46 AM
I know. I said that.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
6th January 2006, 1:47 AM
how do you evade it?
i think that, yes, it should be able to turn on and off. though there are only about 5-6 cuss words so i don't think it really matters...

PLANES CURE TOWERS
6th January 2006, 1:51 AM
I'd tell you how to evade it but I get stick enough as it is for evading it myself ;o

Anyway, if there is a hack like this, it'd be pretty cool, alas, anti-hack-ebii won't install any, so, it's no good.

-Josh

Magma Leader Maxie
6th January 2006, 1:52 AM
I don't know why you care so much, but anyway, your idea has too many flaws to be feasible:

members who are too young/don't state their birthday have all the little bad words blanked out in *

How does that stop me from saying I'm 90 years old?

And secondly, what's the point of a swear filter but to stop swearing in the forums? If some members are allowed to swear, it doesn't stop the younger ones reading the swears, unless this was made into some sort of function.

Lastly, the above descibed function doesn't exist because of the clearly faulty "please-state-your-age" thing.

And I doubt future versions of vBulletin will ever have swear filters that are optimisable to the measure you want. This is a bad suggestion.

Carpetted!
6th January 2006, 1:56 AM
How does that stop me from saying I'm 90 years old?
If you're 2 and lie and say you're 90, then it would be your problem if you're offended by swears.

And secondly, what's the point of a swear filter but to stop swearing in the forums? If some members are allowed to swear, it doesn't stop the younger ones reading the swears, unless this was made into some sort of function.
No, people without the filter can see swears. People with can't.

Magma Leader Maxie
6th January 2006, 2:03 AM
If you're 2 and lie and say you're 90, then it would be your problem if you're offended by swears.
Hmmm... this doesn't make it any the less flawed, though.... Perhaps you should have posted this in the Debate forum? :)

No, people without the filter can see swears. People with can't.
Well, I'm damn sure the described hack/mod doesn't exist. But perhaps you could check vbulletin.org for it or ask pika2000 who seems to have a whole index of the available hacks in her head.

Wolf Goddess
6th January 2006, 2:17 AM
Well, I'm damn sure the described hack/mod doesn't exist. But perhaps you could check vbulletin.org for it or ask pika2000 who seems to have a whole index of the available hacks in her head.

I asked her about this a little while back. They were working on making it, but it is currently unavailable.

Carpetted!
6th January 2006, 2:17 AM
Ah, okay then. I guess this can be closed because it's useless as of now then.

intergalactic platypus
8th January 2006, 5:03 PM
When they make it though I would love to have it. I'm sick of having to use punctuation as letters to curse. Makes me feel n00bish

Serebii
8th January 2006, 5:12 PM
Well dont use punctuation as letters to curse then...just dont curse

qwerqwer
8th January 2006, 5:30 PM
I'm only eleven here but then, the filter doesn't work, so what's the age restriction then

Carpetted!
8th January 2006, 5:33 PM
The filter does work. Look:
*** (my first swear...)
There's no age restriction yet. This is just an idea.

MidnightScott
8th January 2006, 6:10 PM
-_-;

Yeah, we should be able to enable seeing swears - but oh well. **** the ****ing ****ers. -See...it's automatically censored ;P - You don't have to put *'s - it's automatically censored...

~Scott;229;

SlimShady
8th January 2006, 8:06 PM
I agree. You should be able to type in words that you want censored, and how you want them censored. It would be good for kids under the age of 10.

Wolf Goddess
9th January 2006, 12:27 AM
Well dont use punctuation as letters to curse then...just dont curse

But you see Serebii, if we can turn it off and on ourselves, no one can complain. ;0

Twitch
14th January 2006, 2:43 PM
;227; Cuss filters should be turned off in Fan Fiction IMO. People should know that a PG-13 fic has swears. :rolleyes:

SHUCKLE MAN
14th January 2006, 6:52 PM
Well, it is not as if we NEED to swear but it is a nice idea and when it comes I will be happier.

I do not think that many people do get offended by swear words anymore. Most young children know most swear words and use them anyway.

cold_katanagirl
14th January 2006, 10:29 PM
Kind of surprised by how many people don't know how to pass the swear filter... It's easy to figure out. o_o

Anyway though, what's the point? The kids are the ones doing the cussing. =0

zonic the hedgehog
14th January 2006, 11:51 PM
how do you evade it?
i think that, yes, it should be able to turn on and off. though there are only about 5-6 cuss words so i don't think it really matters...

****, ****, ****, dick.

Just basically keep on using italics, bold, or font between the letters. ;D

Anyway, does it really matter if people swear? We had a debate about this already, and the internet contains enough swearing to beat 1,000 sailors.
I'm quite sure the moderators and admins aren't here to protect children. IT'S NOT THEIR JOB. They're here to control peace, and the parents are the ones who're supposed to check and see what their children view online, not everyone here.

Although people who swear just to get people upset should get in trouble, however. People who swear to put emphasis in a debate or to add humor shouldn't, IMO.

Oh well, nobody listens to me anyway. :)

As for an update on the swear filter, it really isn't needed. Especially since it'll filter out swears in fanfiction, which would be
affecting a few things in that area.

Oh, and people do lie about their age, too... ;)