PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Planar Void

klducks
6th January 2006, 2:29 AM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/uz/planar_void.jpg
Planar Void - Urza's Saga. Uncommon
B: Enchantment
Whenever a card is put into a graveyard, remove that card from the game.
"Planeswalking isn't about walking. It's about falling and screaming."
-Xantcha, Phyrexian outcast

Sideboard worthy I guess. Almost completely counters Psychatog decks and it only costs 1 black mana. Again, it is sideboard worthy.

The Duck's Rating: 2/5

Shadow Trainer
6th January 2006, 2:45 AM
Strictly a sideboard card, useful for stopping dredge, reanimator and like klducks said Psychatog. 2/5

~RaikouRider243~
6th January 2006, 4:34 AM
This is exactly like Banisher of the Light from YGO. Strictly for the sideboard, as everyone said. 2.5/5

klducks
6th January 2006, 5:26 AM
speaking of Dredge.

Has there been any good Threshold+Dredge decks? hmm...

Dredge + Krosan Beast/ Repetant Vampire/ Silver Seraph/ Stone Tongue Basilisk/ Wayward Angel to name a few Average-Above Average cards.

mindripper
9th January 2006, 1:28 PM
Erm, simply no. This card is an easy 3.5-4/5. Although it is mostly a SB card, many decks run one copy MB as a silver bullet, for MB tutoring. I realise that this is pretty useless in standard, but it is damn useful from 1.X upwards. Let me list a few cards which this deck completely wrecks, and I mean COMPLETELY. From 1.X(previous season and current season) we have all variants of Psychatog, be it traditional tog, dredgatog or GAT, Reanimator, Teen titans, welder-control as well as certain powerful cards like life from the loam. Planar void wrecks them all. Now we move on to the decks it screws, but stops short of wrecking. It screws rock and its witness tricks, my personal deck rector-bullets, although that deck deals with planar void pretty easily, as well as ANY blue based deck which runs the accumulated knowledge/intuition engine, as well as reducing the power of either dramatically. Not enough? Madness decks lose their AK/intuition combo, as well as deep analysis, roar of the wurm and wonder. Sligh decks lose their flashbacked burn. Desire loses its AK/intuition engine, and probably the game. No single card wrecks so many decks. And that is only extended. let me go on to Legacy. Oh, did I mention crucible of worlds being useless? And Cephalid-breakfast as well?

Legacy was a format dominated by survival of the fittest, and the card advantage you get when you combine it with Squee. Planar void negates all that, and decks from ATS, aggro-welder, unpowered TNT, all other welder and survival based decks, reanimator decks and so on. Not to mention Dragon dying singlehandedly to this card.

Oh, now we go on to Vintage, where planar void wrecks and hinders a full 80-90% of decks. All decks which play black play YawgWin, and planar void laughs all that away. That alone accounts for at least half of the top tier decks around. Not to mention TPS, Dragon, Long, Burning Wish/Led, Trix, all top tier decks in the present and recent past all being able to get turn 1/2 victories, and being screwed by planar void. Let me use TPS as an example. This deck has a lot of redundant power, and simply overpowers any control decks in its way via its superior engine and recursive draw. All stopped by one planar void. Dragon was damned feared for its ability to win in the first two turns even when facing countermagic, but crumbled to this card. Not to mention the Assassin, 7/10 split, powered TNT, Parfait and many other decks dying to this card. Granted, most combo decks find a way around this card, ie bouncing it back and then going off for the win, but there is no doubting that it halts them for at least a turn or two. No single card beside Fow and Null rod have made such a huge impact on so many decks. Its only flaw is that combo decks usually run it as SB, due to it taking slots which they dedicate to other combo components to help them go off. There is no way this gets anything less than a 3.5/5 from me, and I have utmost respect for this card. The less I see of it in Vintage, the better.

Kaizer
9th January 2006, 2:00 PM
Speaking of Planar Void:

Leyline of the Void -
2BB
Enchantment (R)
If Leyline of the Void is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it in play.
If a card would be put into an opponent's graveyard, remove it from the game instead.

Looks like Guildpact's granting a second version of it.

mindripper
9th January 2006, 2:04 PM
^Good card, not as good as the void. Oh i forgot. It screws Oath decks as well, both in Legacy and Vintage. Planar void kicks major backside.

chaoslord
9th January 2006, 11:41 PM
Erm, simply no. This card is an easy 3.5-4/5. Although it is mostly a SB card, many decks run one copy MB as a silver bullet, for MB tutoring. I realise that this is pretty useless in standard, but it is damn useful from 1.X upwards. Let me list a few cards which this deck completely wrecks, and I mean COMPLETELY. From 1.X(previous season and current season) we have all variants of Psychatog, be it traditional tog, dredgatog or GAT, Reanimator, Teen titans, welder-control as well as certain powerful cards like life from the loam. Planar void wrecks them all. Now we move on to the decks it screws, but stops short of wrecking. It screws rock and its witness tricks, my personal deck rector-bullets, although that deck deals with planar void pretty easily, as well as ANY blue based deck which runs the accumulated knowledge/intuition engine, as well as reducing the power of either dramatically. Not enough? Madness decks lose their AK/intuition combo, as well as deep analysis, roar of the wurm and wonder. Sligh decks lose their flashbacked burn. Desire loses its AK/intuition engine, and probably the game. No single card wrecks so many decks. And that is only extended. let me go on to Legacy. Oh, did I mention crucible of worlds being useless? And Cephalid-breakfast as well?

Legacy was a format dominated by survival of the fittest, and the card advantage you get when you combine it with Squee. Planar void negates all that, and decks from ATS, aggro-welder, unpowered TNT, all other welder and survival based decks, reanimator decks and so on. Not to mention Dragon dying singlehandedly to this card.

Oh, now we go on to Vintage, where planar void wrecks and hinders a full 80-90% of decks. All decks which play black play YawgWin, and planar void laughs all that away. That alone accounts for at least half of the top tier decks around. Not to mention TPS, Dragon, Long, Burning Wish/Led, Trix, all top tier decks in the present and recent past all being able to get turn 1/2 victories, and being screwed by planar void. Let me use TPS as an example. This deck has a lot of redundant power, and simply overpowers any control decks in its way via its superior engine and recursive draw. All stopped by one planar void. Dragon was damned feared for its ability to win in the first two turns even when facing countermagic, but crumbled to this card. Not to mention the Assassin, 7/10 split, powered TNT, Parfait and many other decks dying to this card. Granted, most combo decks find a way around this card, ie bouncing it back and then going off for the win, but there is no doubting that it halts them for at least a turn or two. No single card beside Fow and Null rod have made such a huge impact on so many decks. Its only flaw is that combo decks usually run it as SB, due to it taking slots which they dedicate to other combo components to help them go off. There is no way this gets anything less than a 3.5/5 from me, and I have utmost respect for this card. The less I see of it in Vintage, the better.

This guy is awesome, lol.

Anyways, seeing as he's said about everything that can be said, I pose this question to everyone:

Do yall think that the black leyline will be ran in 1x or greater in the eternal formats, seeing as its another shot at a first turn planar void for free?

mindripper
10th January 2006, 12:07 AM
No way, because it simply is not viable as a tutor target, unlike cards like tormod's ctypt, planar void and coffin purge.