PDA

View Full Version : Why do you write?

Seijiro Mafuné
6th January 2006, 2:27 PM
Felt like posting.

Everyone has a reason why they write. Some people write for fun, wanting to put down in paper (in this case, the computer screen) the ideas they get, just because it's fun, there's no problem, and they are sure they'll get reviewed. Some people write for others, listening intently to all their reactions, changing things if the public isn't liking it, and overall expecting reviews. And then there's the people who write for themselves, burning in flames if suggestions approach them that are too different from what they want, only writing what they want, and in average doing it because it's what they feel is their life.

Me? I write because that's what I am. A writer. I may not be the best, or even just overly good, but I don't care much. You don't like my style? Big deal. Someone is bound to like it, and at the very least, I like it.

Why do you write?

pisces_beedrill
6th January 2006, 2:32 PM
well, i write because it is my passion, i have a gigargnormous range of imagination and i like to create stories, some, i just make for fun, others, i am 100% serious about

Iveechan
6th January 2006, 2:53 PM
I write because I'm an attention w-hore

The Burnt Shadow
6th January 2006, 3:24 PM
I write because I love to. Sometimes when I watch the shows I feel like there's a character I want to include. I do it because I like creating new images of new people and events...

BenJS
6th January 2006, 3:25 PM
*It's fun
*It's creative
*It requires concerntration
*Let's me put the ideas in my in a physical form
*I like praise (well who doesn't!)
*I like constructive critisim, it shows that I'm not perfect and keeps the ego in check; inspires improvement
*As long as at least one person likes it, I'm happy

katiekitten
6th January 2006, 4:25 PM
I write for the love of writing. I read so much, get stories from so many different views, that a combination of ideas rise up in the bubbling volcano of a mind I have and wait patiently for me to write them. I try not to mess up the story, put off reviewers, but I wouldn't like it if someone tried to force ideas on me. Luckily, no one has. :)

FlamingRuby
6th January 2006, 4:52 PM
I have two main reasons:

A. It's fun (my fics file here)
B. It's practice for becoming a pro writer or teaching others how to write

Nylf
6th January 2006, 4:55 PM
It's fun. Pure and simple. My imagination never stops, so the tale always twists and weaves in ways I would've once not thought possible. So I never know everything. It's like journeying along a path where you only have a torch, and a map saying where it begins, and where it ends. You don't know what's along the way, and you can only see a little bit at a time. Thus making an adventure where you never leave your own seat. What's more fun than that?

Jetx
6th January 2006, 5:10 PM
It's fun, and I like to see that i have fans. Why i write fics is to raise my practise level. The more i practise the more likely I am to get a job as an author, that's why I get desperate for reviews...

Guitar dude bill
6th January 2006, 5:15 PM
I write for three reasons
The fun
Help for improvement
Encouragemant.

lilbluecorsola
6th January 2006, 9:07 PM
I write in order to release my thoughts and emotions.

Bu†cH
6th January 2006, 9:22 PM
I want to make a purpose of my life and give people what they want.

Elemental Charizam
6th January 2006, 9:45 PM
Good question, Video.

I suppose I write not only because I enjoy the process of writing (which can be frustrating and stressful at times) but because I enjoy having something that I've created and that I and other people can enjoy (or flame :P). For me, writing is one of the most rewarding experiences, even if it isn't received well, though that does help.

If I don't write in ages now, I start feeling uncomfortable, so I'll write now and again even if I don't post it. It does make writers block even more frustrating though D: Apart from this, I also get the strong and irresistable urge to write every so often, usually when the sheer volume of ideas I have forces me to weite a few down in some form.

Negrek
7th January 2006, 12:17 AM
I write because I enjoy it, and also because I do hope to become a professional writer someday and could use the practice. I'm not going to lie and say that I don't like ego-boosting reviews, though!

Dilasc
7th January 2006, 12:33 AM
I write because I want to be respected and read. I write because I want to have something in my seemingly dull life somewhat important! I write so people can say 'Dilasc... I would be sad if he disappeared, because he is a great writers.' I have yet to make myself important to many people, or be a great writer. So, I am still writing and still seeking to improve my work, and myself.

xXSaberXx
7th January 2006, 1:39 AM
D: I write cause I have many voices in my head that scream to be pleased and made into characters. :P

I think I started to write because I wanted to see if what I did would be accepted, and if people had any comments for change. Orginally, I think, I wanted to improve, above all, so I gave the forums a whirl and posted a thing or two. In all actuality, I still have a long way s to go, and thus, I still keep writing. Though there will always be someone better than I, it's still a great thing to improve over time. ^.^

Hyper Chibi Absol
7th January 2006, 1:46 AM
I write because I can think of really dramatic things and I have a vivid imagination.

Zodiac
7th January 2006, 1:49 AM
I write peotry to express and release my emotions, ideas and sorrow. I rarely write when I'm happy. Writing makes me feel more creative.

I write fan-fics or short stories to improve my imagination and develop ideas about different issues.

Flaming Lip
7th January 2006, 2:03 AM
I write because I want to. I would like reviews if I posted it, but really, I just write because I think its fun.

Of course, I would take someone's suggestions and try to improve, but is more for the sake of my own writing than the person who sugested something.

Xiang
7th January 2006, 2:10 AM
Let's see...

*The fun....you get to be creative and it's not forced...
*You can improve by posting it up and waiting for crit
*Sometime there's that brilliant idea nagging at you...so I type it up before I forget it and lose it forever. Sometimes they turn into whole fics, like You're Not Alone. It started out small, then branched out into bigger and more ideas, and I just didn't want to leave them untouched.

Kiyohime
7th January 2006, 3:03 AM
I write so my brain won't rise up in revolt and crawl down my throat and bludgeon my kidneys to death with my liver. XD In short, it keeps my mind sharp and active, and it's a way better addiction than cigarettes, IMO. It's the same reason why some people do crossword puzzles, I guess. It's like you're creating new worlds and new people, and it's an incredible rush when everything falls in place and you've got a story in your hands waiting to be told.

Ryano Ra
7th January 2006, 3:07 AM
So many interesting topics. o.o;;

Well, to keep it short and sweet, I do not write because my brain has the uncanny ability to suddenly spark wild imaginations in my mind, leading me to write. I don't write because it is fun (not that that isn't a factor, writing is indeed fun), but there are more reasons to it. For one, it helps me maintain the happy side of my life, because I find that if I'm sad or angry or depressed, I usually sit down and begin typing. Writing about things that I want to write about helps me feel better, forgetting about all of the thousands of millions of reasons why I was ever gloomy in the first place.

Another reason is that when I get older, I would love to write an original Fantasy novel, full of magical lands, kingdoms, dragons, knights, and so much more. That's one of the main factors, but others include writing about my imaginations and manipulating the characters under my control, and...yeah. XD

Willow's Tara
7th January 2006, 3:29 AM
Because I love getting sucked into my own world an make things that would never happen in real life... Plus it fun and I can get my ideas out on paper/word

Sachiko
7th January 2006, 3:49 AM
I'm a pretty wise person, who avoids trouble and conflict. So I have to make up conflicts!!! I love humor and I'm also very creative, and I love to grab hold of someone's emotions and feelings and direct them wherever I want them to go. I love getting people's attention, and my stories get attention, too. I love to sneak in opinions in my stories and make the reader understand why. I want to create happy, positive feelings in readers, with some drama, amd some ups and some downs, and I want to take people on a journey that they'll absolutely love.

Lily
7th January 2006, 4:16 AM
Admitting your own wisdom is wise?

I write because if I don't, I will be convinced there is nothing left for me in the world but to shrivel up and die from the dearth of what little skills I possess. ^^;

CHeSHiRe-CaT
7th January 2006, 4:38 AM
Admitting your own wisdom is wise?

I write because if I don't, I will be convinced there is nothing left for me in the world but to shrivel up and die from the dearth of what little skills I possess. ^^;
Yaaaaaaw, that's the only purpose I have here. Unless...killing peoples' sanity counts O.o

I also write for the attention and recognition. I want people to know and admire my work, and I'd also in turn like them to enjoy it. For some reason, I have always imagined myself as a best-selling author, daydreaming of an interview with Katie Couric (has crossed the line of obsession). Katie Couric is thee shite. I also agree with Scrap, because I do get a sort of satisfaction when I've created a complex world full of characters, plot, creatures, and mysteries of secrets kept for ages. But I don't think I'd EVER write a real-life fic unless it had some aspect of Fantasy in it. Real life, IMO, is too icky. However, I'd agree with many of the people on this subject in general. I'm just too lazy to quote. XD

And after reading this post, I realize what an atteshun wh*re I is 8D

Eternal Daydreamer
7th January 2006, 4:43 AM
I write because I can make things happen that only could happen in my mind before. It's a wonderful feeling.

Jolty13
7th January 2006, 4:57 AM
Hmm...that's an interesting question. I guess I write because I feel a strong connection to my characters. They get to go out and have adventures, face dangers, and just do things that I could never get to do. It's almost like they're in command of the story sometimes; I just picture them in a situation and they carry the adventure along while I write/type. I also find it interesting, because their personalities really grow and change while I write. But I think all of this helps a lot because in the past people seem to enjoy my characters more than just my writing abilities.

Another reason I write is because I find myself zoning out and imagining things a lot (sometimes at inconvenient times, like when I'm leaning over a textbook and need to be studying!). The majority to all of my writing gets inspired by just imagining it in the middle of the day, or even sometimes having a dream at night about it. Though a lot of ideas do not make their way into writing, I remember years ago, I was playing Crystal, and I thought, "Man, I've got to make a story out of this." And now it's Amy's Pokemon Journey, which is pretty much the main thing I really write. It's kind of amazing how just one little idea can take off and become something so much bigger.

Dragonfree
7th January 2006, 6:51 AM
I write because I like thinking up a story and making characters that I can show to others when I've written it...

pisces_beedrill
7th January 2006, 12:55 PM
I write for the love of writing. I read so much, get stories from so many different views, that a combination of ideas rise up in the bubbling volcano of a mind I have and wait patiently for me to write them. I try not to mess up the story, put off reviewers, but I wouldn't like it if someone tried to force ideas on me. Luckily, no one has. :)
also cause of that^^

DarkGirl
7th January 2006, 8:50 PM
I write because...

*It's fun!!
*Who dosen't like being praised?
*It helps me improve my English skills! (I'm in the top set now! Woohoo!)
*It helps me be creative, as I'm not much good at musical stuff.

Sachiko
8th January 2006, 11:01 PM
To LilyPichu: Sure it's wise!!! Yeah. Uh, I guess. Um... or maybe it isn't.. I don't know...

Aaah!!! That's so sad!!! *hugs LilyPichu* You must possess some other skill!! I have lots of skills but writing is really my best one.

To Jolty13: I zone out too, for long periods of time. And I, too, can get ideas from just about anything. For example:
Sachi: Point to an object in the room, and I bet I can make up an interesting story about it. C'mon. Anything!!
Jolty13: Uh... *points to tissuebox* That.
Sachi: Aha! A magic tissuebox that grants one wish to anyone who uses a tissue!!! When an evil organization finds out the secret, one boy and his friend, a girl, must go and stop them!!!! And do the boy and girl have feelings for each other!??!
Jolty13: | = 3 (3 is eyebrows)

Yeah, see, I have a pretty big imagination. Mitashi (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?p=2556907#post2556907) is a prime example of that. And that's why I write, to share it with others!!!

To [Tyranitar]: Amen!! I agree with that entire paragraph!!! Yep.

Keleri
9th January 2006, 5:01 AM
Writing is a bit of an escape for me--even if the story isn't really about -me- per se. I do it to immerse myself in a fantasy world, and to explore concepts that the canon hasn't really explained in detail. And also because I like to see my inbox topped off with a bunch of FFnet Review Alert e-mails. :P

Seiryu
9th January 2006, 5:28 AM
Well...I'm an artist. To me, literature is a form of art, much like music, drama, or the visual style of drawing, painting, or whatever. And I so enjoy creating art.

I write because I enjoy it, plain and simple. Of course, as an artist, I will always strive to improve. There's also that upside of being able to put down some of my more creative ideas in a place where they will likely be accepted. However, acceptance is more or less a bonus. I write because I like it, and so I write what I want to write. The most I'd ever be changing due to criticism is my style, and even then only small bits--that is, the amount of detail I put in and stuff like that. No matter how overdone or controversial some of my stories' plot points might seem to some, I'm confident that I can make them work. I know that there will, of course, be someone who won't enjoy my material, but I don't care. I may write for enjoyment, but I also write for myself.