PDA

View Full Version : how do you rate Ash as a Trainer?

DarkDeoxys
6th January 2006, 2:44 PM
Your Opinions and thoughts on Ash as of the End of the Hoenn Saga compared to the Johto Saga/Orange League

Opal Pikachu13
6th January 2006, 4:32 PM
Hmm, how do I see him now? Well I think he's a better trainer now then when he was during the the first Kanto/Orange League/ Johto saga. He doesn't act immature anymore like he was when he started his journey, He has better battling skills, and I noticed May almost started just like that on the second ep of Pokemon Advanced, but Ash was able to teach her how to catch Pokemon correctly by battling and weakening and not just by throwing a Pokeball (exactly how Ash caught Caterpie on the first season, and how he tried to catch Pidgeotto, thinking that it will work, but it didn't.) Oh yeah and forgot to mention what he was doing when he first got Pikachu, tieing him with a rope and dragging him, trying really crazy ways just to catch a Pidgey due to Pikachu ignoring him and laughing at him when the Pokedex commented Ash to be stupid, like trying to catch it with his pajama shirt lol! Then getting in real trouble with the Spearow flock, causing Pikachu to get damaged. May's Torchic got damaged in a similar way by a Marril family, but it wasn't as bad as Ash's run-in with the Spearow flock. To sum it all up, Ash has became a better trainer now then when he was back then.

intergalactic platypus
6th January 2006, 6:18 PM
Ash has shown drastic improvement. Initially he sort of sucked at strategy, and he did really stupid things during battle, but now his strategies aren't too bad anymore. Of course he could still use improvement but thats a given, and he keeps trying to improve. Plus hes the hero on a childrens show, so he has to win a fair amount of the time. It would upset the kiddies if he constantly lost

/Exiled/
6th January 2006, 6:50 PM
Well with as many episodes as their are ofcourse he has to improve. Though i find it strange how he dosent study up on any gyms he's going to. FOR GODS SAKE HE DOSENT EVEN KNOW WHAT KIND OF POKEMON THE GYM USES!" Ash is pretty dumb in terms of pokemon knowledge. If he didnt have the ability to quickly think on his feet and quickly devise stradegies he'd be screwed.

Seijiro Mafuné
6th January 2006, 7:35 PM
About the last post... why isn't there something like the signs from the games?

Ben Kenobi
6th January 2006, 8:41 PM
Ash is OK as a trainer but he is not the most knowlegable trainer. Everybody always reminds him when he is making a mistake plus he eats too much but is still serious when battling so he's good at that part.

Kabuto
6th January 2006, 9:49 PM
Hes alright but not great. He gets lucky alot and makes many stupid mistakes. Sure, he wins alot and is pretty good for his age. However, he is like most of the other trainers in the show. He doesn't know alot about type advantages and combos. He doesn't train very hard or evolve his pokemon. I'd rate him about 5 out of 10.

The Big Al
6th January 2006, 9:58 PM
Ash is about average as a trainer but exceptional for his age. He's a little skilled but has his reasonable share of luck. He's Pokemon tend to carry him with their abilities though.

Ash is just a trainer to serve as the center of the anime and is a great example. He's not worthless but also not perfect.

#1 Poke Fan
7th January 2006, 3:00 AM
Ahs is quite a good trainer, he can occasionally make stupid mistakes but doesn't eeryone?
He loves is Pokemon a lot which makes makes him even better.

Poké_Master
7th January 2006, 3:28 AM
During the Indigo League, Ash was rash and didn't think with his head most of the time. Then, in the Orange League, he started becoming more rational. In Johto, he won most of his battles with luck and then in Hoenn, he gained more and more skill. Plus, his love for Pokémon grows as he continues and captures more and more which helps him to get stronger.

DeoxysTrainer
7th January 2006, 3:44 AM
I say his team sucks

The Big Al
7th January 2006, 3:52 AM
Actually, he has a very good team, especially in Hoenn.

CyberCubed
7th January 2006, 4:20 AM
I say his team sucks

Any reason why? Ash's team is filled with powerhouses, especially in AG. Even Corphish as an unevolved form can take down evolved forms that are twice its size.

Corphish must have taken a page from Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle on how to be a powerhouse at a first form.

Gravy
7th January 2006, 4:21 AM
Ash sucks because he releases all his pokémon. His team is also crap, and I could beat them all with my level 87 Rayquazza. *nod*

undisputed_seraphim
7th January 2006, 11:17 AM
I'd say that on a scale of 1 to ten, Ash's team rates a mere 6. At the same point in the game I can easily beat him hands down, no sweat. His battle styles are rather, er, surprising and helpful, I agree, but it's all mostly on-the-spot. And his type weaknesses are obvious. In fact, the anime treats it as though only Ash can switch pokemon. You rarely see other trainers switch pokemon.

The Big Al
7th January 2006, 11:32 AM
It's because the gym leaders can't switch pokemon by rule. I think the brains are the same way. Kaede in the league did switch Pokemon around and even used Dugtrio to prevent Ash from doing the same.

Ash sucks because he releases all his pokémon. His team is also crap, and I could beat them all with my level 87 Rayquazza. *nod*
Quoted for humor.

Yamato-san
7th January 2006, 1:46 PM

XD I would say that made my day, but Heracross already told me something on AIM a couple hours ago that had me laughing for about ten minutes straight. Anyway, just wondering, but where'd you get that "87" figure? I can see you didn't go to the extreme of "100", but any reason why 87?

Anyway, at first, I hated how he went through Kantou. Never actually fighting gym leaders and going along with a team full of unevolved, yet cheaply uber, cuties. But, seeing him now, actually fighting gym leaders, using kickass Pokemon (even back in Jouto, actually, when he'd strategize with those unevolved cuties to not seem as friggin cheap), I really think he's a great trainer. Hell, between the Houen and Battle Frontier sagas, his Pikachu got very close to taking down an Elite's Pokemon. For that matter, he lost the Saiyuu Tournament against an opponent who had a very powerful team and went on to become the champion, and it was a damn close call, too. God knows how much he'll have improve in the Diamond/Pearl arc.

Flamez
7th January 2006, 5:28 PM
Have to agree with Yamato-San he is a great trainer. He has improved alot, His hoenn team was really great, his pokemon have evolved this time around, in hoenn all evolved except for corphish, i wont say pikachu cuz pikachu never will. Anyways people always go around saying hes immature but u have to remember that he is a 14 year old, ofcourse i would agree that the writers do make him look stupid at points but not just him pretty much everyone. TR comes in disguise and nobody is able to recognize them. And so much more happens but im to lazy to list it.

Seizureman what are u talking about that he gets lucky, the writers left that theory long time ago. All his battles are won purely on skill, he's always known to have some crazy strategy up his sleeve to let him have the win. And about u saying he doesn't know about advantages, in the anime that really doesnt matter, i mean at some points it does ill give u that. But hes known to put his pokemon at disadvantages and still win most of the time. He can easily have his pokemon at advantages buts that easy and boring IMO.

Anyways I'll have to rate him and his team at: 8/10.
I really think he should give Noctowl,totodile, and cindaquil more battle time.

Final Flash
10th January 2006, 12:50 PM
I say his team sucks

That is spam for not listing reasons. Just saying he sucks probbally means you Just hate him and what Pokemon he had.

What Obal Pikachu said is right. Ash has gotten better care for pokemon,Like in the first episode,He carried Pikachu on a rope and had gloves. Also,he loses less matches and when He doe's lose matches,He dosen't fall over anymore.

Champion Shade
10th January 2006, 1:25 PM
I don't really love 'em too much. I don't really like his personality. Some of his Pokemon are alright, but he's too much of a goody-two-shoes. He would make a good Rocket Grunt, personally. But Ash, to me, he's not a very great trainer.

Geki
11th January 2006, 10:12 PM
Ash is a good trainer. That's what I rate him as.

DeoxysTrainer
11th January 2006, 10:19 PM
I like ash but Iam saying that his team could be better(Stop training with pikachu for awhile)

Kyle Delta
11th January 2006, 10:21 PM
Ash is okay but he gives away his strongest pokemon and say he'll comeback and never keep his word.red is a better trainer

DeoxysTrainer
11th January 2006, 10:25 PM
LoL,but ur right,we all miss Charizard and Squirtle,plus Pidgeot

ShiningClefairy
11th January 2006, 10:27 PM
I agree about him giving away his Pokemon. STOP IT! Swap them out, like Gary does. Err... did.

Is it me, or does it seem like Ash's Pokemon don't like evolving? About one out of every 10 filler episodes features someone else's Pokemon evolving. They are the only ones who don't evolve!

Also, he tries to use strategies instead of exchanging attacks, which makes the anime lame at times. When he fought Whitney, he dug holes with water -_-; (and the water mysteriously vanishes after the holes were dug).

But, he's got a good personality, cares about his Pokemon, and never gives up. I like him.

The Benmeister
11th January 2006, 10:33 PM
I agree about him giving away his Pokemon. STOP IT! Swap them out, like Gary does. Err... did.

Is it me, or does it seem like Ash's Pokemon don't like evolving? About one out of every 10 filler episodes features someone else's Pokemon evolving. They are the only ones who don't evolve!

Also, he tries to use strategies instead of exchanging attacks, which makes the anime lame at times. When he fought Whitney, he dug holes with water -_-; (and the water mysteriously vanishes after the holes were dug).

But, he's got a good personality, cares about his Pokemon, and never gives up. I like him.

Wasn't Beedrill the last Pokemon he gave away? And that was AGES ago. I think Ash has finally heard our cries.

Ash was a fool to start with but it's good to see that he has developed as a trainer throughout the show. I also like all of the teams he uses, no matter what other people say.

DeoxysTrainer
11th January 2006, 10:36 PM

Bulbasaur,that retard!He needed to

jolteonjak
11th January 2006, 11:25 PM
If nothing else, he certainly is creative.

CyberCubed
11th January 2006, 11:52 PM

Ash hasn't given a way a Pokemon since Lapras. At least have some idea what you're talking about.

Um, Ash has more evolved forms than unevolved forms. Other than Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Cyndaquil and Totodile, what Pokemon that are not on his current team aren't evolved?

Sempris
12th January 2006, 2:55 AM
Truthfully, I can't stand the anime much because of him. Goody-two shoes and always stands up for the right thing. I'm just waiting for the day when the bad guys DO win and get away with it. That would be an episode worth watching. On a fair scale though, his team does deserve at least a 6 or 7 out of ten. They're unbelieveably strong for being unevolved Pokemon. And I think he'd be a better trainer if he'd just take a walk on the wild side for a change. Forcing your pokemon to train a little more and harder isn't going to kill them, nor would it hurt to battle random trainers more often. All I see in the anime is gym battle after gym battle, and then travels with them doing absolutely nothing. If there are any battles, it's with team rocket and I think we all know by now his Pokemon know what to do when they show up. They aren't going to get any more experience just by battling them.

My two cents.

Yamato-san
12th January 2006, 3:46 AM
Ash hasn't given a way a Pokemon since Lapras. At least have some idea what you're talking about.

Since Spear, actually, which was already pointed out.

Um, Ash has more evolved forms than unevolved forms. Other than Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Cyndaquil and Totodile, what Pokemon that are not on his current team aren't evolved?

You forgot Heigani. Pikachu could technically count as well, since it wasn't given a baby form until later. And I don't think the problem is that he has unevolved Pokemon, rather that too much focus is put on them rather than Pokemon that are either evolved or have one form (and my personal grudge against them is that back in Kantou, they were pulling cheap uber crap against obviously superior Pokemon with barely any strategy at all). Remember, he'd just get the starters, and anything really strong like Heracross, Kentauros, etc. is just shoved away into his storage, or underused as hell (his birds before Oosubame). However, again, this has stopped in Houen, specially now that the starters are seperated and most of his team isn't used up to showcase them.

Again, hasn't been the case in Houen. And if you're talking about Houen... yeah, it's true, Takeshi and Kasumi's Pokemon did more evolving than Satoshi did, but every 10 filler episodes? Hell no.

The majority agrees that simply exchanging attacks is lamer than interesting and unique strategies. As for the water mysteriously vanishing... have you considered the holes have mud at the bottom of them?

Baby_Biyomon
15th January 2006, 10:28 AM
Truthfully, I can't stand the anime much because of him. Goody-two shoes and always stands up for the right thing. I'm just waiting for the day when the bad guys DO win and get away with it. That would be an episode worth watching. On a fair scale though, his team does deserve at least a 6 or 7 out of ten. They're unbelieveably strong for being unevolved Pokemon. And I think he'd be a better trainer if he'd just take a walk on the wild side for a change. Forcing your pokemon to train a little more and harder isn't going to kill them, nor would it hurt to battle random trainers more often. All I see in the anime is gym battle after gym battle, and then travels with them doing absolutely nothing. If there are any battles, it's with team rocket and I think we all know by now his Pokemon know what to do when they show up. They aren't going to get any more experience just by battling them.

My two cents.

I agree, something evil and diabolical such as Butch and Cassidy returning and capturing Pikachu and taking him to Sakaki in Kanto, then infront of Satoshi, Takeshi, Masato, and Haruka. Sakaki force evolves Pikachu into Raichu with a thunderstone and makes Raichu battle Satoshi. now that would be an angle worth watching for.

as for rating him, worst trainer ever, heck my Skitty and Meowth can kick his entire team's keesters with ease.

Shadow phoenix
15th January 2006, 12:26 PM
i rate ash the worst trainer EVER heck my golem on pokémon green which is lv75 could beat it without any damage

Gravy
15th January 2006, 1:14 PM
i rate ash the worst trainer EVER heck my golem on pokémon green which is lv75 could beat it without any damage
Yeah, but my Rayquazza could beat your Golem 3 times over without taking any damage and just using Fly! So there!

RED1992
15th January 2006, 1:18 PM
lol my level 100 rayquaza, kaiogre,groudon,charizard, blastoise,blaziken would wipe the floor with him in 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000001milisecond lol.

Gravy
15th January 2006, 1:31 PM
For the love of god, don't quit your day job.

MayRules
15th January 2006, 4:23 PM
Ash is an ok trainer, not a great trainer but an ok one.

intergalactic platypus
15th January 2006, 6:49 PM
I don't see why everyone thinks he still sucks. He certainly sucked in the early days, but the writers have improved his team a hell of a lot, and all cause they don't give him Tyranitar doesn't mean he sucks. Plus hes the hero of a childrens show; he can't suck. It would defy the laws of kids programming

SuperShadow
15th January 2006, 10:40 PM
Good trainer with exeptional talent for his age.

I don't see why everyone thinks he still sucks. He certainly sucked in the early days, but the writers have improved his team a hell of a lot, and all cause they don't give him Tyranitar doesn't mean he sucks. Plus hes the hero of a childrens show; he can't suck. It would defy the laws of kids programming

When your`e right your right. Although her has room for improvement, though. I rate him a 8/10 for his age.

CyberCubed
15th January 2006, 10:44 PM

I'll honestly never get why people try to prove the Pokemon they own in their little Gameboy games will "destroy" Ash and that means he sucks.

I know some people here are repressed teenagers but c'mon, at least try to prove you masculinity some other way.

charizard trainer #1
16th January 2006, 1:13 AM
For his age i believe he is quite good (one of the better even) but if you include every single trainer i would say he's bordering average. I mean how many tournaments are there just like the silver conference, indigo league, etc. Probably thousands. Thats why i think he's average. He hasn't won any and he definetly hasn't cruised through a tournament. The way things are going it'll take 10-12 years till he's a pokemon master (not that i'm complaining).

I personally don't like Ash's pokemon (not all of them but most) but only because i'm more into strength like charizard and snorlax. That doesn't make him a bad trainer at all for size doesn't dictate power but i think he would perform a lot better.

ハルカ and ゴンベ
16th January 2006, 2:10 AM
I don't know why most of you are saying "ZOMG!1!!! He ish teh wrst trainr evar!!!11!1!one11!" When in fact he is quite good. Sure he can make some stupid desicions in battle but overall he has great potential. Like my sig says I use his exact same team in my Emerald and I haven't lost a match in a VERY long time....btw..that reminds me...I have to Evolve my Juputoru -.-;;

PeteDHeat
16th January 2006, 3:05 AM
I WOudl give a 7 To ash as a Trainer.He could have a better team than he has rigth Now.i Understand giving away pidgeot to save the little pidgeys and everything,but Charizard?Common you gotta be really stupid to leave such an strong pokemon behind.Same goes for Snorlax and Muk.What the Hell they're doing at the Prof.Oak's lab?I Like Corpish,he should stay and evolve.Same goes for Grovyle and i also like Dophan.But he could arrange his team.Put Snorlax or Get Charizard back.Ok ok Snorlax eats everything he sees in front of him but he has muk also and he's pretty good.Nothing agaisnt Swellow also.But since ash has only Five pokemon on his team rigth now i think it is Ok,but he SHould Get Snorlax or Muk to fullfil his team,or he should capture a pokemon that would be head to head agaisnt pikachu in terms of who's the strongest.Aggron for example,that would be awesome.

ハルカ and ゴンベ
16th January 2006, 3:26 AM
I WOudl give a 7 To ash as a Trainer.He could have a better team than he has rigth Now.i Understand giving away pidgeot to save the little pidgeys and everything,but Charizard?Common you gotta be really stupid to leave such an strong pokemon behind.Same goes for Snorlax and Muk.What the Hell they're doing at the Prof.Oak's lab?I Like Corpish,he should stay and evolve.Same goes for Grovyle and i also like Dophan.But he could arrange his team.Put Snorlax or Get Charizard back.Ok ok Snorlax eats everything he sees in front of him but he has muk also and he's pretty good.Nothing agaisnt Swellow also.But since ash has only Five pokemon on his team rigth now i think it is Ok,but he SHould Get Snorlax or Muk to fullfil his team,or he should capture a pokemon that would be head to head agaisnt pikachu in terms of who's the strongest.Aggron for example,that would be awesome.

Satoshi left Lizardon because he would have EASILY breezed through Jhoto if he had kept him, not to mention that He also needed to get stronger, Imagine what would have happened Vs. Freezer is Rizardon didn't train...>_>; And the only reason Satoshi captured Kabigon is because he needed to catch at least 1 pokemon for the Orange Islands.
I see no need in bringing back Betabaton because it's not really that strong.
Also a Bosugodora would be TOO Strong for Satoshi...Like he wasn't gonna win the Battle Frontier, anyways...>_>.

MarcmenX
16th January 2006, 10:18 PM
Ash is a good trainer if you ask me, very loyal to his pokemon and stuff and treating them with respect...

however, I do downgrade him due to forgetting about Pigeot, saying he'd come back for him one day when clearly he didn't and it does not seems he's ever going to come back for him >.> Who knows, maybe he does not even REMEMBER having Pigeot!

That's my only complaint about him really *shrug* but I still think they should have Ash finally get his dream and do the next region another trainer >.> Hey, I may like the guy, but Ash does get old... however, I think Team Rocket is still good in my book, they can keep em >.>

Gravy
18th January 2006, 1:01 AM
The only people stupider than ash are the people who defend him
Ok, ok, just humour me here for a second: Why is that?

Shadow phoenix
18th January 2006, 4:04 PM
Yeah, but my Rayquazza could beat your Golem 3 times over without taking any damage and just using Fly! So there!
i trainer it up to 100 like the rest of my party pokémon so i'll win easy
anyway why does ash always give away his pokémon?

Gravy
18th January 2006, 4:10 PM
i trainer it up to 100 like the rest of my party pokémon so i'll win easy
Sarcasm
sarˇcasm (n.)
-A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
-A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

Of course, even with the dictionary definition, I'm still not expecting you to get it. http://www.serebiiforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

CyberCubed
18th January 2006, 5:49 PM

Do people on this forum even watch the show passed the Orange Islands? I mean really. It seems like they're all stuck in the Kanto era and can't understand or see anything that happened after it.

Yamato-san
18th January 2006, 9:42 PM
Do people on this forum even watch the show passed the Orange Islands? I mean really. It seems like they're all stuck in the Kanto era and can't understand or see anything that happened after it.

To be fair, this continued a bit after the Orange Islands as well. Remember that Spear he gave to Nanako? There was also the fact that Zenigame and Lizardon left. Sure, they come back, but at the time, no one really knew that for sure. Hell, the third Pokemon movie was nowhere near as successful as the 1st and 2nd ones were, and several people didn't stick through Jouto long enough to see the 8th gym battle or the Shirogane tournament. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there're still people out there under the assumption that he permanently got rid of Lizardon..... but, I see little reason for such people to be on here, the forum to a site that provides countless amounts of info on this kind of stuff, and in the anime forum where spoilers are numerous and millions of remarks about Satoshi NOT giving up his Pokemon, or recent performances of Satoshi's Lizardon, or what-have-you are made.

Shadow phoenix
19th January 2006, 10:35 AM
Sarcasm
sarˇcasm (n.)
-A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
-A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

Of course, even with the dictionary definition, I'm still not expecting you to get it. http://www.serebiiforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
no what is this sarcasim you speak please tell me i'm dying to know!

Gravy
21st January 2006, 2:35 AM
Because anybody who knows squat about pokemon can tell that ash sucks as a trainer. "Pikachu, aim for the horns!" lol.
Ok...
a.) The Lightning rod ability never existed back then.
b.) That was well over 6 years ago, when they were still getting to grips with how to present various techniques and the effects they have.
c.) The horn is made of metal. Metal conducts electricity. Thus the reason it hurt Rhydon.
d.) Anybody who knows squat about pokémon, knows that he's nowhere near the level he was back in the old days.
e.) Using the excuse of the "Aim for Horn!" followed by an lol is getting really, really, really old.

Try again

He gave away charizard, squirtle, and bulbasaur in johto.
He never gave away Bulbasaur, and he still recalls Squirtle and Charizard for when he needs them.

CyberCubed
21st January 2006, 2:37 AM
He gave away charizard, squirtle, and bulbasaur in johto.

ROFL, he didn't get rid of any of them. Have some idea what you're talking about before you say stuff like that.