PDA

View Full Version : Question

DeoxysTrainer
7th January 2006, 2:56 AM
In the old Kanto adventures,why was the episode with Brock and Jynx banned?Wat did he do???

#1 Poke Fan
7th January 2006, 3:01 AM
I thought it was becase it was to sexual or something. Not to sure.

DeoxysTrainer
7th January 2006, 3:04 AM
Sometimes I wonder......

CyberCubed
7th January 2006, 3:05 AM
In the old Kanto adventures,why was the episode with Brock and Jynx banned?Wat did he do???

Um, the episode you're talking about is "The Ice Cave" from Johto, not Kanto.

It was banned because Jynx is a racist stereotype.

DeoxysTrainer
7th January 2006, 3:17 AM
LoL!WAT!Thats stupid!

Poké_Master
7th January 2006, 3:26 AM
Um, the episode you're talking about is "The Ice Cave" from Johto, not Kanto.

It was banned because Jynx is a racist stereotype.

It's true. Many people thought it was a racist stereotype because of its black face. They banned that episode and then the next time Jynx was seen (The Pacifidlog Contest episodes), it had a purple face.

intergalactic platypus
7th January 2006, 4:01 AM
Jynx is pretty much banned all over the US

CyberCubed
7th January 2006, 4:16 AM
^ Not anymore. Jynx is purple now and appears in a contest for May, so that episode will definitely be shown.

Geki
7th January 2006, 4:48 PM
It was banned for SARS since it was going around at the time. Also, I think there was something like Brock kissing Jynx or something like that, and hypothermia. It also was doomed because of the whole Jynx representing a black women thing.

Satoshi
7th January 2006, 5:28 PM
It was banned for SARS since it was going around at the time. Also, I think there was something like Brock kissing Jynx or something like that, and hypothermia. It also was doomed because of the whole Jynx representing a black women thing.
No, it was banned ONLY because Jynx is considered to be a racial stereotype.

Dogasu
8th January 2006, 12:23 AM
I wish people would stop spreading that stupid "it was banned because of SARS" rumor around. There's absolutely NOTHING in the episode that's even REMOTELY related to the virus. Jeez.

Jesse GS the II
8th January 2006, 6:00 PM
LoL!WAT!Thats stupid!

No it isn't. Rougela's original character design was a potentially offensive stereotype of an African-American woman, with jet-black skin and big red lips. It went unnoticed for a while until a concerned parent named Carole B. Weatherford wrote to Nintendo addressing the issue. Thus, Nintendo changed Rougela's skin color to purple in the video games starting with "Pokémon Gold" and "Pokémon Silver", but the anime didn't follow suit until just last year, meaning that scenes featuring Rougela prior to that still featured her original black-skinned character design. Those scenes were cut for American broadcasts, and "The Cave of Ice" featured her so prominently that it had to be banned.

It doesn't surprise me that you think it's stupid - you haven't studied the history of animation the way I have. These kinds of stereotypes were commonplace in animated cartoons as far back as the silent era of the 1910s and 1920s. It stems from the old minstrel shows, in which black characters were portrayed by white actors in blackface. In today's exceedingly PC environment, such images are no longer tolerated as humorous. Which isn't to say that they should be wiped clean from America's history, but it's important to remember the context of these stereotypes - back then, standards and practices for motion pictures and the like were much more relaxed in terms of ethnic and racial profiling.

I hope I've instilled you with at least an ounce of information. You have no idea how angry I get when people display such utter ignorance regarding this whole Rougela issue.

Judai Yuki
8th January 2006, 6:19 PM
But it's just a pokemon come on<.<

RaikousThunder
8th January 2006, 6:53 PM
I dont really get the whole Jynx thing. I never looked at her as a Black woman. I looked at her as a pokemon. I dont much like Jynx so it doesnt matter to me much. I do kinda like the change from black to purple though. Its not like Jynx totally looked like a black woman. If she looked less human like would it have not been such a big deal? No Africans that ive seen have actualy black skin, they are light brown to a very dark brown. Her hair is also nothing like an Africans hair, bright golden yellow hair. She has big red lips cause shes known for kissing her opponents and knocking them into dreamland. People just look into these things way too much. Like Fire Blast being a sign of the devil or some schtick like that. Its just a tv show, there are a lot worse ones out there. But like i said it doesnt bother me if anything happens to Jynx. If i got banned from everything i wouldnt mind since i cant stand it. I did want to see the Ice Cave ep though, even it was just a filler.

intergalactic platypus
8th January 2006, 7:18 PM
When the G/S/C sprite for Jynx was releasted I thought Jynx had been purple all along, just badly shaded. After all, several pokemons colors looked off because of Gamefreak having limited access to detailed color. I saw the anime though and then realized it really was black, not just plum

Flame Haze SnS
8th January 2006, 8:54 PM
Wasn't there another Jinx episode waaay back to Orange Island with Lorelei (one of elite four)? Do that Jinx look different than Jinx in Pacifilog(sp) Island?

Jesse GS the II
8th January 2006, 10:27 PM
But it's just a pokemon come on<.<

I had a feeling I'd get a reply like that.

Yeah, sure, it's just a Pokémon. And Bosko was just a little cartoon boy. And "Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs" was just a retelling of the traditional "Snow White" story. But the fact remains that they were stereotypical portrayals of black people that are deemed offensive in today's society and can't be shown the way they were. You don't have to like it, but it's the way the world works.

Kamex
8th January 2006, 10:56 PM
I personally used to think Jynx's face was actually a hole-a 'void' as I heard it once called-where all that was visible was her lips and eyes. I didn't think she was actually black for a long time.

I really wonder why the Pokemon creators would risk getting themselves into this kind of mess. I guess they didn't think Pokemon would be a worldwide phenomenon when they made the first batch of Pokemon, therefore thinking they were safe. Or maybe they didn't think it was a big deal in the first place.

Rufinito18
8th January 2006, 11:50 PM
I never regarded Jynx as a black woman....I regarded her like a kind of mystical being ( psychic) that lives in snow-cold temperatures....ohw ell...i dont mind purple

MaskedManAbsolkid
9th January 2006, 6:22 PM
Jynx is pretty much banned all over the US
Is that true? I know PCNY don't have Jynx models, and that the Pacifidilog ep will air, but I didn't know that. Is Cybercubed right about it not being banned in the US? It's not banned here in the UK.

Jesse GS the II
9th January 2006, 10:41 PM
Only the black-skinned character design is taboo over here. The purple-skinned version is still acceptable.

(What, am I talking to a brick wall here?)

intergalactic platypus
10th January 2006, 1:27 AM
I like the purple skin better; it suits Jynx more and I thought it looked more plum in R/B/Y

Dogasu
10th January 2006, 5:25 AM

I can tell you from experience that you are. People refuse to believe that their precious show could contain anything as scandalous as a character who resembles a racist stereotype.

You can throw out facts until your face is as purple as Rougela's, but it won't make a difference to the people who just don't see it.

Chris
10th January 2006, 5:33 AM
If I remember something correctly, Rougela was still black in the Japanese carts of Gold and Silver. However, she was turned purple in Crystal and was made purple for the releases of Gold and Silver outside of Japan. Can't exactly check that up since I don't have either copy. >_>

I can say that it's NOT the whole "SARS" crap, because that's nothing but false rumors by fans. Geki, for the love of all that's mighty, stop being the odd one of the group who thinks he knows what he's talking about. You've been wrong on several of these occassions several times. STOP with the false and misinformed information.

kaibachaoschampion
10th January 2006, 12:23 PM
I must ask, if Jynx is banned. In the UK why do Toonami continue to show the Holiday Hi-Jynx from Kanto. Why is this episode now banned now because when Toonami air it Jynx is still black. No one seems to moan about it either.

Kamex
11th January 2006, 2:17 AM
I must ask, if Jynx is banned. In the UK why do Toonami continue to show the Holiday Hi-Jynx from Kanto. Why is this episode now banned now because when Toonami air it Jynx is still black. No one seems to moan about it either.
I dunno, but they never show the episode in America.

RaikousThunder
11th January 2006, 3:30 AM
I dunno, but they never show the episode in America.
Yes they did show Holiday Hi-Jynx in America it was shown after the Mr. Mime episode. Jynx is no longer banned anywhere since the skin color has been changed. The only episode that it was banned in was the Ice Cave ep, which is the reason for this topic. This topic could probably be closed since the question was answered. Quick review here

Jynx was banned due to its Taboo black skin.
The Ice Cave ep was banned because of Jynx.
Jynx's skin was changed to Purple in C/G/S and now Anime.
Jynx has been unbanned everywhere since its no longer a taboo pokemon.
Episodes featuring Jynx in the feature will be shown in America.

Dogasu
11th January 2006, 6:36 PM

Because the UK != the US.

DeoxysTrainer
11th January 2006, 9:59 PM
Anyway,Why arent the episodes with Mr.PoPo banned then,he has black skin and red lips,(not going off topic)He is also in DBZ BT

Kyle Delta
11th January 2006, 10:01 PM
LOL hes darker than weasly snipes

DeoxysTrainer
11th January 2006, 10:03 PM
LoL!!!Seriously,why not

Kyle Delta
11th January 2006, 10:06 PM
Also jinx is not a sterotype I have seen black women that look close to jinx chris can back me up on this right.

DeoxysTrainer
11th January 2006, 10:11 PM
U got that right

Kamex
12th January 2006, 12:54 AM
Yes they did show Holiday Hi-Jynx in America it was shown after the Mr. Mime episode.
After its premiere? I don't recall.

Also jinx is not a sterotype I have seen black women that look close to jinx chris can back me up on this right.
If you've seen black women that look close to Jynx why do you say it's not a stereotype? Did you word your sentence wrong?

Jesse GS the II
12th January 2006, 1:22 AM
DoxysTrainer and Kyle Delta have to shut up right now.

I'm taking the week off. This board is too collectively uneducated for me.

DeoxysTrainer
12th January 2006, 1:28 AM
DoxysTrainer and Kyle Delta have to shut up right now.

I'm taking the week off. This board is too collectively uneducated for me.
Thats DeoxysTrainer and who do u think u are,and if its uneducated for u then leave this thread

Alphonse Elric
4th February 2006, 9:40 AM
This thread is all based on one thing: DISCRIMINATION, the evil ethnocentristic stupidity that is spread all over the world.
Whoopee.
Anyway, I think it's just plain wrong to make a Pokemon a racial srereotype. Thank God Jynx is now purple. But was the black thing really it's face? I wonder the same thing with Snorunt.

kaibachaoschampion
6th February 2006, 11:15 PM
Anyway,Why arent the episodes with Mr.PoPo banned then,he has black skin and red lips,(not going off topic)He is also in DBZ BT

Indeed I should ask the same question, hes just a completely coal black skin with red lips, no one ever complained about him.

Jesse GS the II
7th February 2006, 5:49 PM
You know, I'm not gonna argue the above point because I know I'm just gonna make myself mad again.

However, I will say that "Pokémon" fans need to realize that the black-skinned Rougela IS a racist stereotype. Just because you don't want her to be, or don't understand how she can be, that doesn't make your belief right.

MaskedManAbsolkid
7th February 2006, 6:13 PM

Is that to nearly everybody else here? I thought it was about me partly at first.

Anyway, I first believed the SARS thing, but one thing: If EE was right about the Japanese G/S having black Jynx's, did the recoloured one come out after the Ice Cave ep?

Chris
7th February 2006, 8:46 PM
Because Mr. Popo is an important character and appears on a cable network.

Thats DeoxysTrainer and who do u think u are,and if its uneducated for u then leave this thread
Okay, then I'll step in and say SHUT UP. The little talk between you and Kyle Delta was unnecessary and ridiculous. By the way, we use punctuation when we speak. Otherwise, your sentences run on and no one knows what the hell you're talking about.