PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Spiritmonger

klducks
7th January 2006, 5:59 PM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/apocalypse/spiritmonger.jpg
Spiritmonger - Apocalypse. Rare
3BG: Creature - Beast
Whenever Spiritmonger deals damage to a creature, put a +1/+1 counter on Spiritmonger.
B: Regenerate Spiritmonger.
G: Spiritmonger becomes the color of your choice until end of turn.
6/6

One of the best 5 drops in the game. 5 for a 6/6. If that isn't enough, it gets +1/+1 for each time it deals damage to a creature. Not enough? It regenerates as well. Hi 8/8 w/o trample. I'll just keep blocking you till I'm pumped up enough to kick your ***.

Also kicks people who use Radiance in the shin.

The Duck's Rating: 4/5

chaoslord
7th January 2006, 6:49 PM
This probably is the best 5-drop this side of morhpling. I can't think of anything else that matches it since morphling showed up in Urza's Saga. Speaking of which, if you haven't already, you should do Morphling one day. Great card.

Anyways, onto THIS card. It's a nice card. Not all Rock decks run this, but I think more should at least throw one copy of this guy in. He's just awesome.
A 6/6 for 5 that becomes bigger and bigger, regenerates, and wont die to some pesky "Destroy target black creature" cards.

4/5

Shadow Trainer
7th January 2006, 7:50 PM
A very nice card, for five mana you get a 6/6 that can regenerate and change it's colour, oh and did I forget to mention it grows bigger and bigger every time it hits a creature. 4/5

Kaizer
7th January 2006, 8:33 PM
4/5

Now... rather than saying all the good things about this card, I'll list the bad ones:

-It's multi-colored and this can be hard to pull off.
-It can easily be chump-blocked into oblivion.
-Its abilities require different colors of mana and can be countered.
-It can be wrath of goded and all of your hardwork goes down the drain.

Comparing that to other creatures of the same cost or something-- This is a 6/6 that grows, regenerates, can get past protection, and wins games.

Basically, whatever is wrong with it, is also a common problem with quite a few of creatures.

Nagi Souichiro
8th January 2006, 3:47 AM
This is the sort of card that we people in the YMTC thread call "overpowered".
Although, since the cards already out, then I'll have to give my ratings eh?

The cards a 6/6 for 5 mana. That's pretty powerful. Not only that but it can withstand several black removal spells (via changing color),it can withstand Radiance spells (via changing color), it can regenerate itself, and it grows bigger everytime it kills something! WAAAY overpowered for my taste.
This card is perfect for the Timmys, however the Johnny's will probably shun it like water does oil.

My rating:
4.5/5

Oh, yeah. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Spiritmonger the result of a Create a card contest?

chaoslord
8th January 2006, 5:20 AM
Well, if it was, it wasn't an official one.

The two created YMTC's were Forgotten Ancient and Crucible of Worlds, or w/e.

I forget what the 3rd ones name is.

Broodstar
9th January 2006, 12:13 AM
Isn't Apocalypse some fake set or something but can still be used in play? Apart from the fact thats it requires two different types of mana to play, I like it. If had it had trample this card would of been extremley great. 4/5

klducks
9th January 2006, 12:20 AM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/products/cardsets

Apocalypse is in the Invasion block. I dont see how it's fake.

chaoslord
9th January 2006, 1:54 AM
Coulda been a joke played on him by older players. I remember when I was new, the guys who had been playing for years joked around telling me the lands that had the giant symbols on them dont do anything because it didnt have it written out, lol. Good times.

But anyways, the only two "fake" sets are Unglued and Unhinged.

mindripper
9th January 2006, 1:44 PM
Spiritmonger was never the result of create-a-card. It was merely WOTC's way of powering B/G, and they did a pretty good job with this and the deed. As some have said, this is probably one of the best 5 drops ever-- heck, it is probably one of the best creatures ever, simple as that. I agree and disagree with the saying that Morphling is better than Spiritmonger. I agree simply because Morphling has won a hell a lot of tornaments on its own, something that Spiritmonger has not done so much for Rock, and some Rock variants do not even run Spiritmonger at all. I disagree with morphling being better than Spiritmonger because pound for pound, no other considerations aside, Monger is better than Morphling. Morphling may have evasion, but anything Spiritmonger runs into is nothing more than a speed bump, and it gets around COPs easily, and it is just a matter of time. Morphling may have not be targetable, but how many spells save terminate and Stp can kill a monger? let me put it this way. If Monger had a flaw besides lacking trample, it is the fact that Rock is simply not good enough for it. Morphling is great because the decks it is in, from pure permission to Keeper, have Morphling in mind as the sole win condition, and the decks protect and emphasise its abilities. If Monger had a deck which could emphasise its abilities like Morphling has/had, it would end up being the better creature, period. However, why is Morphling even said to be the best ever creature? Most players agree on a couple being just that bit better. Tune in to Kaizer's and Chaoslord's site to find out eventually.

Shadow the Hedgehog
10th January 2006, 3:20 PM
4/5. Almost everything that could be said about it has so I won't waste time with a commentary on it.

Sabaku no Gaara
10th January 2006, 9:54 PM
In the late fall of 1999, the Magic: The Gathering team launched the Create a Creature contest. In this contest, new Magic players were asked to dig deep into the darkest regions of their brainpans and describe the most bizarre, monstrous, powerful creature they could possibly imagine.

Ten winners had their monstrosities illustrated by top fantasy artists, and one lucky monster-maker had the prize of seeing their creation made real in the Magic world. The brother team of Gregory and Bradley from Wisconsin were the lucky winners. Their winning concoction was the creature - Spirit Monger.

With the upcoming release of Apocalypse, we are proud to say that Greg and Brad's Spirit Monger is not only in the set, but one of the toughest Beasts you'll be facing in the upcoming months. Lets just say that it is in your best interest to know everything you can about this soon to be unleashed multicolored monster.

Spirit Monger was originally selected as one of 11 semi-finalists from amongst over 12,000 Create A Creature entries. A select panel of judges including members from Magic R&D, Brand Team and Creative Team, read every single entry and submitted their list of finalists to be narrowed down. From there, an even bigger panel of judges looked at the lists of creatures and weighed each creature's impact on the world of Magic. After much deliberation, the 11 semi-finalists were chosen and announced.

Once all 11 semi-finalists were announced, the decision was left to the Magic players on the Wizards of the Coast website. Voting commenced, and in the end, Spirit Monger was the creature that won the contest with the most votes.

From there, the task of turning Spirit Monger into an official Magic card was left in the hands of Magic Research & Development. After looking at the creature's description and illustration, the R&D team went to work deciding when and where Spirit Monger would appear. Since the Spirit Monger was part tree creature and yet used a protective shield of dead spirits, it was perplexing to think that Spirit Monger would have both Green and Black abilities... well at least not until Apocalypse.

With the no-holds barred enemy aligned colored insanity in Apocalypse, the renamed Spiritmonger was an obvious fit. Most likely a product of the green and black magic surrounding the conflict in the Urborg swamps, Spiritmonger emerged with a power that will have you wondering if your next Apocalypse deck will sport 4 copies of this bad-*** beast.

So after nearly 13 months of development and waiting, we are happy to announce that we have kept our promise and are proud to deliver to you - The Spiritmonger.

Maybe it isn't a create a card contest-more of a create the most wicked creature you can think of contest....

Broodstar
25th January 2006, 10:33 PM
Oh sorry. But I forgot about I though why apocalypse was fake but I knew unhinged was(after seeing choas confeti and someone actually used its effect). But I know that it wasn't a player(heck most people except some of my friends and I thought that mana that said tap:add the color to your mana pool (the older ones) gave 2 mana -.-. silly them. Thanks though