PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good plot

Guitar dude bill
7th January 2006, 10:43 PM
Well, sometimes I've seen fics that some people think is bad and I think is good soooooooooo
I decided to make a thread saying what YOU think makes a good plot. I think an original, interesting plot is what is good.

Jetx
7th January 2006, 10:54 PM
It has to be original, and full of action. Action with meaning, if there are fights and those fights have a big impact on the main character's emotions it can make a decent plot. It should really be a long plot if it's an adventure fic IMO.

Sempris
7th January 2006, 11:04 PM
Good plot? Well, originality is good, but I like the ones that are out of nowhere and couldn't be thought up by another person. It makes it unique and interesting. The amount of twists and turns are also a must, it gives it depth. A character's emotions are vital too though, a plot with no feeling isn't going to lead to a good story.

Negrek
8th January 2006, 12:35 AM
Original plots are, of course, preferred. If you do take a classic or overused plot (in the case of fanfiction, you'd mostly be talking about the ingame storylines here,) you need to really put your all into the other aspects of the story, such as characterization and such. It's also helpful if you add subplots and the like to distract readers from the fact that the main piece is something they've seen a bazillion times before.

Personally, I'm a fan of really twisty-turny plots. I love books where you go through the whole thing thinking you understand what's going on, before the tables are suddenly turned and you realize that things have changed and nothing was what it seemed. Of course, you don't have to go all crazy like that, but really, predictable plots are the most boring to me.

Ledian_X
8th January 2006, 12:53 AM
Yes, originality is preferred. Even if you're doing a story like mine. Granted someone somewhere might have similar powers but it's all in the executio. If it'ss a thick, multilayered saga, then you have a great story. Detail and thought have to be put into the plot in order for the reader to get a sense of what the story is about.

You can't have something like "Peter wakes up in the morning and decides to fight crime." That's lame. You as a writer need to think up a creative reason for why he does what he does like so:

"After mourning the death of his Uncle Ben and blaming himself for it; Peter Parker decided to become Spider-Man to rectify that mistake for he now knew that with great power, comes great responsibility."

You also need to create great character depth and that makes a good plot. Why are they like the way they are? What events in their lives shaped them? Many things make good plots, I'm just outlining a couple and using a story like mine as an example.

You need to look hard to find a plot and there in find a theme, once that's started, the story should be rolling along.

LX

DarkGirl
8th January 2006, 6:23 PM
I like original trainer stories, though a lot of people don't. The thing is, you have to be careful. They can either be really good or really bad. You have to avoid anything that has happened to Ash and the gang. A common thing that I've read is the kid wakes up late... yawn... How much effort does it take to make a decent beginning? Anyway, originality is the best! ;)