PDA

View Full Version : Favorite ships as related to favorite characters

intergalactic platypus
8th January 2006, 4:17 AM
A lot of people seem that a true fan of a character will support them with the other main character of the opposite sex. Jesse and James, Misty, and Ash, Ash and May, ect. ect. In a way this is true since most pokeshippers seem to be huge Misty fans, advanceshippers are big May fans, rocketshippers are TR fans, contestshippers are Drew fans and so on and so forth.

Now I for one think its kind of limiting to feel like if you like *insert character here* you absolutely must support them with *insert character here*. Its like at times a Misty fan supposedly "can't" like alternateshipping or a May fan "can't" like shoppingshipping

So enough with ranting. What do you think about the link between loving/hating a certain character and loving/hating a certain ship? Is it there? Is it strong? Is it something you tend to do? And most importantly is it right? Discuss

Nylf
8th January 2006, 11:06 AM
I frankly find that logic insulting to 'popular' ships, though it's probably right in some cases. I support Pokeshipping because I am a romance nut, and I happen to find the whole concept behind the ship very, well I can't think of a word right now, interesting I guess. So I support it. I DON'T support ships like Orange and Advance because the concept bores me. I find that Handymanshipping is reasonably interesting, as is Contestshipping and do support them though I dislike May with more than a little of my soul and Daisy isn't exactly a character I can stand with ease. I myself have considered a lot of other shippings purely on the concept behind them(Kshipping, Love at first sight, Altoshipping, forbidden love), but overall the firmly set and greatly interesting Pokeshipping remains my favourite. I think to truly support a canon ship you need to know something about romance and not be affected by biased. The recently emerged 'Phallicshipping' of Brock x Lucy is certainly not a fan canon ship, because people noticed the obvious attraction the two shared, therefore it's fans won't change just because the mc changes, or is replaced. Let's say Ash gets booted out in the next region, what then? The fanshippers will support May x his replacement, the true A-shippers will hold strong, and the P-shippers can create god only knows how many stories about what's happening between Ash and Misty now they're both out the series. Says a lot really.

I'm not saying pure fanships themselves are bad, it's nice to dream, but only liking a CANON ship because it's your favourite character is a little unappreciative. It's hard to write good romance, I know, and just saying a canon shipping is good because it has Misty or Ash or whatever in it isn't what the writers probably want after spending ages trying to write a romantic bit.

Tropical Spirit
8th January 2006, 3:00 PM
I find that stupid. Period. :/ It's not like every single shipping you like has to be your OTP, shizzle. It's even some kind of disrespect for the character, imo. Look at me, I love Tails -> Knuckles to death, but I find Tails x Cosmo insanely cute. =/ Same with Knuckles x Shadow and Knuckles x Guntz. And Kogomi x Rira and Kogomi x Jindai. And it goes on...

BTW, if anyone suffers discrimination and 'insulting logic' here, they're the slash shippers. >___> Because of some goddamned homophobes that *can't* let us be even while we let them be with their pairs that are rediculous in our opinion. And they keep saying that -character- isn't gay or that -shipping- will never be canon. HELLO? WE ****ING KNOW THAT.
...goddammit. We *know* -character- isn't gay/bi/pan/whatever. We *know* -shipping- will never be canon. We know and we don't care. We enjoy shipping like that and inventing fantasies. (Even if "real" shipping/canon on pokemon=lol) We also ship characters together because of the chemistry and the cuteness/hotness, (It's more cuteness for me, but that's just me. :P) not just because the dubbing company decider the add a plethora of hints. ¬¬

intergalactic platypus
8th January 2006, 3:51 PM
I think slash shippers often say they get more crap then they really do, but thats another topic....Anyway I hate it when people do that. It feels like your being restricted in who you can support. I'm yet to meet a Misty fan whose really into Misty/Jesse, but I've met dozens into Ash/Misty and they often see you as anti Misty if you support a rival ship

Jo-Jo
8th January 2006, 4:29 PM
I quite like Misty/Jessie. B*tchshipping, isn't it?

Hmmm, as for the topic, I think you're right. Though there'll always be exceptions, the correlation between favourite characters and shipping preferences is HUGE. I think the main reasons are:

1) Identification. This is especially noticable with Misty-fans/Pokeshippers. A lot of us can identify easily with Misty because the insecurities she struggles with in canon are the kind of things that a lot of us have gone through ourselves. E.g. worrying about attractiveness, having to live in the shadow of more popular older siblings, unrequited feelings for a close friend, fear of insects, etc. This probably causes many people to root for Misty to attain the glory of getting the hero, Ash, because we want to see our representative in the show achieve the happy ending we wish we could have. Who still doesn't secretly wish that their old childhood crush had paid them more attention?

2. Wish-fulfilment. A lot of the time, shipping preference is motivated by sexual preference. For instance, a Drew-fangirl might want Contestshipping to happen so that she could vicariously experience romance with him through May. May-fanboys often want Advanceshipping to become canon for the same reason. And some ships, such as May/Ash/Misty, are supported largely on the basis that they're hot. (Sidenote: I know yaoi fangirls do this, too; just out of interest, what is the biggest 'eye-candy' slash ship out there at the moment?)

3. Character sympathy. This is in large part related to 1, but I'm including it because it refers solely to canon crushes. Some people support ships like Pokeshipping and Contestshipping simply because they like Misty or Drew, and want them to be happy, which means hoping for them to win the person they've set their sights on. A few people express interest in ships like Brock/Suzie, Brock/Wilhemina and Brock/Lucy because they want Brock to finally find a girl who likes him back and be happy. IMO, this is actually fairly logical and understandable - even in line with the intentions of the writers. These characters are likable and sympathetic; I don't think we're supposed to wish for them to get their hearts stomped on.

As for "is it right"... well, I understand why the Misty/May/Ash/Drew fans who don't support the 'right' ship would get frustrated. But then again, I don't see how it's wrong to like a ship for any of the above reasons. A preference is based purely on emotion, so holding it up to a moral standard seems a little unfair.

intergalactic platypus
8th January 2006, 4:52 PM
OMG the fantasy thing is HUGE with May fanboys. Cybercubed once made an observation that many May fanboys who are also advanceshippers like himself are putting themselves in Ashes place and living through him. Yeah, its wierd for me being a Misty fan and an orangeshipper and loving James but thinking hes gay instead being a rocketshipper

The Red Butterfly
8th January 2006, 6:35 PM
I acually agree with this, I loved pokemon from the first episode and Misty was already my favorite character b4 Ash. I immediatley thought Ash and Misty would make a great couple. I was SO mad when they took Misty off and put in May. So off the bat I didn't like May so OF COURSE I DIDN'T LIKE THE WHOLE ADVANCESHIPPING IDEA!!! So I sorta think it has something to do with weather or not you like the character.

intergalactic platypus
8th January 2006, 6:42 PM
I should be giving my "May didn't replace Misty, she cloned Ash" lecture right now...but you feel the same as many pokeshippers

cold_katanagirl
8th January 2006, 6:52 PM
Oh yeah, ships are definitely related to favorite characters for the majority. I don't need to point out the examples, everyone else already did.

Me? It depends. If I don't like a character (particularly girls), I normally don't pair them up with the main character.

I notice alot of Advanceshippers are boys due to the "MAY IS TEH HOT GO ASH" thing. Sometimes I wonder if girls being annoyed by May's fanbase are partly hate Advanceshipping due to spite. It happens in real life. Boys seem to go for Ash because he's the "Nice guy on the block" or whatever.

The same could be said for Contestshipping. I notice guys steer away from it because Drew is the "jerk" of the anime, and most guys (that I know anyway) can't stand jerks that get all the fame... Which is what Drew is. It explains why so many guys like Kurama, but then again some guys might think he's a hot girl...

And that wasn't mean to sterotype and all other crap.

The Red Butterfly
8th January 2006, 6:56 PM
Well with mine it sorta also depends I forgot 2 say I think May and Drew would make a good couple cuz there are some (not big) hints and I don't like May-so it's kinda weird...It's not always on fave characters although I am fond of Drew and If he likes May he should go for it. Sorry if this sounds confusing

intergalactic platypus
8th January 2006, 7:15 PM
Oh yeah, ships are definitely related to favorite characters for the majority. I don't need to point out the examples, everyone else already did.

Me? It depends. If I don't like a character (particularly girls), I normally don't pair them up with the main character.

I notice alot of Advanceshippers are boys due to the "MAY IS TEH HOT GO ASH" thing. Sometimes I wonder if girls being annoyed by May's fanbase are partly hate Advanceshipping due to spite. It happens in real life. Boys seem to go for Ash because he's the "Nice guy on the block" or whatever.

The same could be said for Contestshipping. I notice guys steer away from it because Drew is the "jerk" of the anime, and most guys (that I know anyway) can't stand jerks that get all the fame... Which is what Drew is. It explains why so many guys like Kurama, but then again some guys might think he's a hot girl...

And that wasn't mean to sterotype and all other crap.
Well I know cybercubed dislikes contestshipping because he believes Drew is the jerk, so you could have a point. And by Kurama do you mean my bishie from Yu Yu Hakusho? In that case I wouldn't be suprised if guys thought he looked hot in a very feminine way; the guy is gorgeous but he does look like a chick

cold_katanagirl
8th January 2006, 7:19 PM
Yup, talking about Kurama. He is hot and throws around roses like Drew does, but he isn't a jerk.

Oh, and Kurama > Drew. It just had to be said. :D

intergalactic platypus
8th January 2006, 7:44 PM
Kurama>>>>>>Every character on pokemon you mean. Cause he is the sex, and quite a zen master. On topic, I wonder why it is that the Tracey fangirls don't support the most popular Tracey ship ATM, orangeshipping. Usually the fangirls would support the biggest ship with him

cold_katanagirl
8th January 2006, 7:44 PM
The Orangeshippers I know tend to hate Misty. =/

The Red Butterfly
8th January 2006, 7:47 PM
y would they hate misty??

intergalactic platypus
8th January 2006, 7:56 PM
Then I feel left out. I really like her and I love orangeshipping *is alone*. I guess I'm the lone Misty fan though who likes something other then pokeshipping

Jo-Jo
8th January 2006, 8:03 PM
I'm a Misty fan, and I Gymship.

intergalactic platypus
8th January 2006, 8:06 PM
Yay! Someone similar! Your only the second gymshipper I've everr met, after STJ

Nylf
8th January 2006, 9:19 PM
I think TS misunderstood my post. Heck I did, I read through it and went 'wait a minute'. So I've pulled an edit and I'll summarise the key points:

1/ Pure fanships are fine, it's nice to dream and make a romance from scratch.

2/ Supporting canon ships because simply 'OMG that character is hawt!" or whatever is lazyness and simple fandom. That is not what I see being a proper shipper as. A proper shipper appreciates romantic value, that any and all actions need to be written carefully in order to make either a shipping or non-shipping scene right. It's hard work writing romance well, amking a romantic sub-plot and all the other things involved in canon-shipping, and not appreciating the hard workers the writers have gone through to make it happen is rude IMO. Simply supporting a ship because it involves character A and character B on simple reasons is stupid and rude.

3/ YOU can be let off for some of the reasons that Jo-Jo said, mainly the ones about relating to a character. Because that's still appreciating the writers effort. they've tried to amke this character a way for you to relate, and if you think that the character her/himself should be with the other character because that would make a happy ending is still fine.

That's my second attempt at my point, and I think it came out better this time.

cold_katanagirl
8th January 2006, 9:36 PM
Yay! Someone similar! Your only the second gymshipper I've everr met, after STJI'm a Gymshipper. o_o
y would they hate misty??*shrugs* Dunno why they hate Misty. I know why I hate Misty though. =0

STJ
8th January 2006, 10:23 PM
I'm a Gymshipper. o_o

Heh, I know XD

I'm not the only Gymshipper around here, but since that's the only ship I actually support in the aniime, Perhaps I'm just more vocal about it :D

As for the topic, well, perhaps that situation applies, but not quite..

I suppose I only ship Gymshipping cause Brock happens to be one of my favourite characters,.. Though more importanty, I can see that he actually WANTS to be in a relationship..so I'm more sympathetic..

As far as Brock ships go, Gymshipping does alright, though I suppose there are more suppoters for him with Susie, or Wilhemina, or Lucy now,oh well...

As for Misty, well, I guess I'm alrgiht with her, though some things I dislike..

I'm well aware of teh fact that most Misty fans happen to support Pokeshipping also, but since I'm not a great fan to begin with, it doesn't usually bother me...

Toran Frostbite
8th January 2006, 11:06 PM
Okay, the answer to this question is no.

Sure, I have favorite 'ships with favorite characters (find me a 'ship with Falkner in it that I don't like, you find a miracle) and then I have 'ships I love with characters I hate or have a basic admiration for.

Neglectshipping? LOATHE Misty, fair like for Brendan, LOVE the 'ship to itty bitty pieces.

Kouga/Kagome? Love Kouga, dislike Kagome, LOVE the 'ship.

Kakashi/Iruka? No fangirling on either of them, LOVE the 'ship.

Keith/Isis? No fangirling over them either, LOVELOVE the 'ship.

Have I proven my point?

taitofan
8th January 2006, 11:24 PM
Hmmm... I'd have to say sometimes, I suppose. Example: Harley is my fave character, and HarleyxShuu is my OTP. Most of my favefavefave ships involve Harley. However, I'm only a mini-fan of Shuu. I don't like Kasumi, but I like plenty of ships that she's in. I don't care about Satoshi at all, but ship him with Kojirou (who I'm also not a fangirl of), and I melt at the sweetness.

And in other fandoms... I hate Kagome with a passion, but I like her with Kouga and Sango. Go figure. Or in Yugioh, I want to strangle Keith, but put him with Ghost (my second fave character) and you have my second fave couple in the fandom.

So while liking the character may help, I wouldn't say it's a rule. It differs from person to person, I'm sure. I've never felt that I must like a ship because my fave character is in it though, nor have I felt that I must hate a ship because of the character. I base my likes and dislikes on how the characters would be in a relationship, not separately.

Andromache
15th January 2006, 12:56 PM
I definitely think there's a link between fav character and shipping, though it's more that one ships them in the first place rather than feeling limited to certain ships because of character bias. I don't know that it's right or wrong, but it's very understandable when you think about it. Why would you ship people you didn't like?

I support Advanceshipping, even though I likely wouldn't go hunting for fics, just because I think they would get along together. I'm neutral toward Ash and find May annoying for the most part, so it's not a ship I'm passionate about, but it works in my mind.

Misty/Tracey go together simply because I don't care for either character. :P No valid reasoning there aside from vicarious vengeance.

So yes, I ship based on fav characters and am not afraid to admit it, but I still judge a ship based on the substance I think it has. I'll support ships if I think they'd work personality-wise or based on dynamic.

CyberCubed
15th January 2006, 8:57 PM
There is a link, because Ash and May happen to be my favorite characters in the series.

I really don't understand how people can be so passionate toward a ship if they hate one of the characters, or even don't care for them, but that's just me.

Shego
15th January 2006, 10:10 PM
The reason why I support Kissshipping because Ash,and Melody were my favorite characters. Believe me, these two will make quite a pair.

intergalactic platypus
15th January 2006, 10:15 PM
I really don't understand how people can be so passionate toward a ship if they hate one of the characters, or even don't care for them, but that's just me.
Then in theory I shouldn't like miamanoshipping, imageshipping or contestshipping because I don't like May that much, but I like all three of them (particularly imageshipping). I guess its just individual to individual

Chelc
15th January 2006, 10:50 PM
I guess it kind of does turn out that way. I have a lot of favourite characters, though, and most of the shippings I support... they're in. ^^;

Encyclopika
16th January 2006, 4:05 AM
Personally, liking a ship has nothing to do with which characters are in it, it only shows their place on my top shippings list. I have a favorite ship for ever character. I guess the more I like both characters in a ship, the more I like it, but that doesn't mean I hate other ships with one of them in it with a character I don't care for. Other things come into play with that.

cold_katanagirl
16th January 2006, 10:50 PM
Hm.

Now that I think about it, Misty is the only female character that I don't like but pair up with people (that I can recall). Except for Tea, but I only pair her with Tristan. And I can't stand him either.

It could possibly be due to me not seeing Misty in such a long while, my hatred has worn off. And she seems different than Kanto.

I also noticed I pair Misty up with Hoenn characters: Brendan, Max, and Drew... Except Tracey, but I started liking Orangeshipping right before the Hoso episodes came around (go figure). And Brock... Can't really figure out why I care about Gymshipping at all, probably because alternate pairings pwn j00.

Anyway, I think the reason I don't like her with Ash (or anybody from Kanto except for the ones above) is because I hated Misty in Kanto/Orange Islands/Johto. And, well, I don't like chicks I hate with main guys because I'm just like that. And I pair her up with the newer generation because I like - ... I mean I'm neutral about her.

... Damn you Misty fans. D:

Hakajin
17th January 2006, 5:39 AM
I think it's rather the other way around for me. I didn't really give much thought to Ash and Misty as characters until I started seeing some Pokeshipping hints from Misty. I thought this unrequited love gave her depth, and when I saw her helping Ash all the time, her devotion to him really made me sympathize with her. Plus I liked how she teased him all the time, it was funny, sometimes smart, always cute.

And Ash. That took longer, because I generally don't like idealists. Then I started thinking about why Misty likes him, and I started liking him too. How he's so innocent and kind, and brave and carefree, and perserverant.

It starts out small with both characters, but eventually, they took on a life of their own. I magnify the qualities I like best in them, so I like them even more then. It's a slippery slope.

Sika
17th January 2006, 6:10 AM
Favorite Character: Ash

2nd Fav. Character: May

Ship Supported: Advanceshipping.

I think i don´t see the connection...

Anyway even if i´m not a pokeshipper Misty is my 3rd Favorite but i don´t pair up her with anyone.

Yoshida Amane
21st January 2006, 1:46 AM
I absolutely /LOVE/ Brock and Misty, but I'm a Gymshipper. I like the alternate shippings. I like to pair Ash up with his Chikorita because I like to think nobody else wants him. May is not my favorite, either.

I will admit, though, that I am a Rocketshipper and that I like a few main shippings.

Other pairings I like are Ranma x Akane (main shipping) Ryoga x Ukyo,and Mousse x Shampoo from Ranma 1/2, Inu-Yasha x Kagome and Sango x Miroku from Inu-Yasha...and some others...

Shego
22nd January 2006, 9:15 PM
I like the shippings of Yugi as he's one of my fave. character. First of all, I like Yugi,and Tea because it's main,clear,and they never fight. Second, I like Yugi,and Rebecca because of Rebecca crush on Yugi. Third of all, I like Yugi,and Vivian because it's pretty funny that Vivian glomps over Yugi while Tea,and Rebecca steaming for a competition for his affection. Those who had a crush on Yugi are my favorite characters.

Yoshida Amane
22nd January 2006, 11:46 PM
I like the shippings of Yugi as he's one of my fave. character. First of all, I like Yugi,and Tea because it's main,clear,and they never fight. Second, I like Yugi,and Rebecca because of Rebecca crush on Yugi. Third of all, I like Yugi,and Vivian because it's pretty funny that Vivian glomps over Yugi while Tea,and Rebecca steaming for a competition for his affection. Those who had a crush on Yugi are my favorite characters.

I haven't seen as much Yu-Gi-Oh as everyone else (I stopped watching during Battle City), but I like Yugi with Anzu because it's just...there. I don't really care about Yugi shippings as much as I care about who people put Anzu with. Bakura x Anzu = no...Seto Kaiba x Anzu = no...and so on, if you get the point...