PDA

View Full Version : I like the artwork, but I hate the story!

MachopGirl
9th January 2006, 9:50 PM
I think many of you had heard or done this before. You like a certain manga because of the artwork, but turned it down because the story doesn't hit you too well.

(Note: this is based on personal opinions, so please no flame wars)

Personally, I like the artwork in Battle Royale, but I really HATE the story. The idea of students killing each other to win money doesn't do good for me, not to mention VERY controversial. It reminded me of those school shootings for some reason or another.

That Scary Clefairy
9th January 2006, 10:00 PM
Hate to say it but most of Masayuki Taguchi's works are graphic and violence. Battle Gong Baron and Rainbow are example of her's with similar contents. Also, most realistic looking series and will tend to have a gorier and dark artwork and story. Berserk and Blade of the Immortal are key example.

HK
9th January 2006, 11:35 PM
I swear, when I first saw this thread (just the title), I thought you were going to comment on Hellsing. o___0

Anyway, for the case of Battle Royale, I usually hear the opposite: they hate the art, but love the story. Despite Keith Griffin's horrible English adaption, the story is still impactful. And, seriously, some content isn't that appealing for others, and more mature stories, whether it be due to the concept or material behind it, don't amaze those who are more... shounen-oriented. I'm not entirely sure about you, MachopGirl, so please don't take it as me labeling you. Really, I'm just stating an observation...

... After all, I've actually read a post in another forum where a guy actually believed that Bleach, Hunter X Hunter, and Naruto were some of the best out there, and (this is what really got me) better than Berserk. x__X A part of me as a manga fan died when I read that.

Brinstar
10th January 2006, 5:09 AM
I love Hikaru no Go and Death Note's art, but I can't get into either series. D.Gray-Man is also having that effect on me, although it's slowly winning me over.

Yellow Bommen
10th January 2006, 5:30 AM
I love Hikaru no Go and Death Note's art, but I can't get into either series.

Really? I'm just the opposite; I'm always completely hooked whenever I read a new chapter in Death Note. ^^;

And, well, I don't really hate any manga because of it's plot. I like reading various manga with various plots. I think every plot's unique and is good in it's own way. That's the reason I still read manga, because I like having reading manga that have plots completely different from the rest. There's always something new in a plot that will appeal to me. So, really, I can't hate any plot, because I'll always find something interesting about it. That's me. =3

That Scary Clefairy
10th January 2006, 7:19 AM
Really? I'm just the opposite; I'm always completely hooked whenever I read a new chapter in Death Note. ^^;

And, well, I don't really hate any manga because of it's plot. I like reading various manga with various plots. I think every plot's unique and is good in it's own way. That's the reason I still read manga, because I like having reading manga that have plots completely different from the rest. There's always something new in a plot that will appeal to me. So, really, I can't hate any plot, because I'll always find something interesting about it. That's me. =3

I totally agree with ya, Atremis!

HK
11th January 2006, 3:14 AM
I love Hikaru no Go and Death Note's art, but I can't get into either series. D.Gray-Man is also having that effect on me, although it's slowly winning me over.

Actually the plot of Death Note is what attracted it to me when I first read it, not the art work, which is kind of odd. Personally, though, I feel that Part 2 of the manga series lacks so much more than Part 1, due to the fact that Part 1 actually had focused in on character's and development, now it is just the drawings and plot advancement. -___-

Oh, and D.Gray-man, while not entirely plot heavy (although I consider it to have a more focused plot than other shounen manga out there), is a good read. In fact my current favorite that runs in Weekly Jump. 'Sides, whenever I read why people got into the series, it is a combination of hearing about its art work or others talking about its uniqueness, or else they saw a bunch of hawt looking guys on Deviant Art. :p

Kokukirin
11th January 2006, 4:14 AM
Death Note is great because it is unique. There are very few manga of its kind. Rather than the plot or artwork, I'd say its the war of intelligence that attract me. This, however, also implies that DN part 2 is a failure. I mean, M and N are easily the luckiest characters in the series. Without that random luck, M is long dead and N wouldn't get the essential clues to track down killer. And when luck becomes a dominant factor to the story, DN is ruined.

Enough ranting, back to the topic...

CLAMP's manga have one of the best artwork, only very few have good story. IMO only RG Veda, Tokyo Babylon and X are good. I am sure many will disagree with me, however...

That Scary Clefairy
11th January 2006, 3:00 PM
Death Note is great because it is unique. There are very few manga of its kind. Rather than the plot or artwork, I'd say its the war of intelligence that attract me. This, however, also implies that DN part 2 is a failure. I mean, M and N are easily the luckiest characters in the series. Without that random luck, M is long dead and N wouldn't get the essential clues to track down killer. And when luck becomes a dominant factor to the story, DN is ruined.

Enough ranting, back to the topic...

CLAMP's manga have one of the best artwork, only very few have good story. IMO only RG Veda, Tokyo Babylon and X are good. I am sure many will disagree with me, however...

Actually I agree with you on D N and Clamp. Those Clamp titles are the only well worth titles toheck out.

Jesse GS the II
11th January 2006, 4:34 PM
Ken Akamatsu's an artistic genius, but the storywriting abilities found in "Love Hina" left a lot to be desired for me. Went on for too long with too many tangents, and not enough characters were developed, while others actually got overdeveloped (Motoko, I'm lookin' at you).

That Scary Clefairy
11th January 2006, 9:22 PM
Ken Akamatsu's an artistic genius, but the storywriting abilities found in "Love Hina" left a lot to be desired for me. Went on for too long with too many tangents, and not enough characters were developed, while others actually got overdeveloped (Motoko, I'm lookin' at you).

I agree with you on everything you said expect his artistic ablilities. Honestly, he not the best artists there is. I found much more well develope artist out there. Bereserk or Death note are notable one to be mention.

Jesse GS the II
11th January 2006, 9:30 PM
I agree with you on everything you said expect his artistic ablilities. Honestly, he not the best artists there is. I found much more well develope artist out there. Bereserk or Death note are notable one to be mention.

Well, I like it. His character deigns are simple but still very expressive, and I wish they'd been followed more closely in the anime.

Kiyohime
11th January 2006, 9:31 PM
I'm a huge fan of Grayman, and I think the plot's good because...there's just so much going on but it never really gets out of control, and I thought their Innocences were cleverly designed.

Though I agree with Hellkorn about Death Note....it was interesting at first. but has slowed down in terms of character development. ;_;

That Scary Clefairy
11th January 2006, 10:42 PM
Well, I like it. His character deigns are simple but still very expressive, and I wish they'd been followed more closely in the anime.
How could it have followed the anime if the manga is the original one? o_O

Seijiro Mafuné
11th January 2006, 11:32 PM
She meant the animé should have followed the mangá.

HK
11th January 2006, 11:48 PM

*MAJOR SPOILERS* I loved L as a character. Hell, I could even begin to understand why the hell so much yaoi was out with him and Light (which, that realization in itself scares me ~.o). That's why when he died, it felt so... impactful. It wasn't as saddening to me as say, when Wolfwood from Trigun/Trigun Maximum or Grimmer from Monster died, but as far as single deaths to characters... for those who weren't spoiled before reading it, it shook them.

Mello and Near were somewhat entertaining when they first showed up, but then Mello just got shafted to the background, and Near's turned into a genius that makes L look like an idiot. Characterization is damn-near completely lost in Part 2 of Death Note, and I find it amazing that the only characters that actually amuse me anymore are Misa and Matsuda. o___0

I've heard a fair share of great things said about X. I was figuring of looking into either the manga or anime eventually, but I'm not entirely sure which to get into first.

I'm a huge fan of Grayman, and I think the plot's good because...there's just so much going on but it never really gets out of control, and I thought their Innocences were cleverly designed.

The premise of it is typical, but there is a lot of depth like you indicated. And the designs of each of the Innonces are fairly ingenius, with some good suprises. I was actually shocked when Crowley was revealed to be an Excorcist. And plus, we can't forget the fact that the female characters in D.Gray-man are actually good. Rinali and Miranda are both just plain awesome, and we can't forget Chamelot. Seriously, we need more female manga-ka out there -- they (usually) don't make stereotypes and bad characters out of the females.

Well, I can't really say that his drawings are sloppy... but that's about all that he has going for him. I can't honestly figure out why the hell his art work is praised so much, or why Love Hina is praised as 'OMFG gr3t3st m@ng@ evr!!1111' or Negima, for that matter. Can't say anything about the anime version of Love Hina, because I wouldn't watch that even if I was threatened to.

You want expressive drawings? Check out Trigun Maximum and its manga-ka, Yasuhiro Nightow. This guy can make you feel emotions without any dialogue, just with character's expressions. His art work improved by leaps and bounds since he first started, and truthfully, the only other two manga-ka which I feel argued to be better than him when it comes to facial expressions are Katsuhiro Otomo (manga-ka of Akira and Domu: A Child's Dream) and Naoki Urasawa (manga-ka of 20th Century Boys, Monster, and Pluto). Ironically enough, none of these artists draw in the typical anime/manga fashion. Truthfully, I'm glad that they don't, because its makes their manga series so much more unique and 'authentic' in that sense.

... Hell, I go off on a rant, and all I wanted to say is that I can't stand Ken Akamatsu's work or the fanbase around it. 8D

Jesse GS the II
23rd January 2006, 8:34 PM
She meant the animé should have followed the mangá.

I hate to bump a thread, and I realize it's a moot point right now, but I'm a guy.

MarcmenX
24th January 2006, 2:10 AM
Shaman King for me, I like the characters and art, but after awhile the story kinda got stupid...

same with death note, started off well, but after Raito gave up his death note cuase L was REALLY onto him I lost interest in the story...

Kokukirin
24th January 2006, 6:29 AM
Shaman King for me, I like the characters and art, but after awhile the story kinda got stupid...

same with death note, started off well, but after Raito gave up his death note cuase L was REALLY onto him I lost interest in the story...
Good job losing interest at the most ingenius plot by Raito in the story.

HK
24th January 2006, 11:31 PM

People have patience no more, do they?

If you haven't finished reading that arc and what is after that, then you my friend have missed out on one of the greatest twists and event that has occured within the past year of the current shounen manga.

Btw, I'm suprised that no one has brought up the manga-ka, Oh! Great, yet. Simply amazing art work (his color pages own any other manga-ka in terms of colored art from what I have seen), but his way of telling stories... well, it is unique, but it seems he either doesn't have much of a plot of doesn't know how to properly tell it. Meh, I read his stuff for other reasons (he does good in just about every other area except the plot, anyway).

That Scary Clefairy
24th January 2006, 11:42 PM
The plot is ok, it just not Monster or Berserk material. Besides, his other series, Air Gear has a better plot anyway. He can tell a story, just that its not deep.

MarcmenX
25th January 2006, 5:48 AM
Good job losing interest at the most ingenius plot by Raito in the story.

Oh come on, the story was good enough to me to begin with... I was always at the edge of my seat in every chapter to see who would be the one to get who first: Raito or L. And when Raito had to give up his death note to protect his identity, it was obvious L had won. And now that the two gotta work together, I'm simply not interested anymore. All the suspence is gone for me now...

Kokukirin
26th January 2006, 4:20 AM
That was part of Raito's plan to make a come back.