PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Culture

Scar
9th January 2006, 11:24 PM
Before I say anything, I searched the forums before posting this. So if there are any topics like this in the Author's Cafe, they're long dead by now.

Anyway, some of you may remember my fics that I never finished (only beause the topics died, I actually kept working on them). Well, I have an announcement, I'm coming out of retirement. And this time, I intend to go all the way with my fics. Yes, for those of you who actually read it, I will be bringing back my Pokemon fic.

BUT, that's beside the point. Announcing my return to fanfic-writing isn't the reason I'm posting this thread. I'm posting this because of one of my upcoming projects. I have a title for it, but I won't say it yet because it might take a while to get up, considering I'm trying to get a few chapters ahead of myself before putting it here.

You see, the fic is not based on any one series. It's pretty much a series all its own, my own personal Anime-blueprints, if that's what you want to call it. However, I don't want it to look like a bad Anime-dub, I want people to realize fully that this fic takes place in Japan, not just by telling them, but by incorporating Japanese Culture into the fic. Unfortunately, while I'm trying to learn Japanese, I know nothing about Japanese culture. That's why I'm coming here.

What I'm really asking of you guys is, if anyone has information on Japanese Culture, please tell me. I don't need to know every detail of what they do, I just need to know some of their customs, their food, etc. That kind of stuff. That's really all I have to say on the matter, except if anybody wants to know about the fic, either PM me or ask on this topic itself. But be warned, most info I give out about my fics contains spoilers. Though this thread isn't for advertisement at all.

Flaming Lip
9th January 2006, 11:39 PM
You could try looking it up. Honestly, I'd consider an article, or site more reliable than what some people might say.

I don't really know much about Japanese Culture myself, just some history, like the Shoganate...

CHeSHiRe-CaT
10th January 2006, 2:55 AM
Well, yew could try looking up Japan on www.wikipedia.org :3 It's a very useful, free online encyclopedia with information on practically anything because the articles are filtered from verified information obtained by users of Wikipedia. There is an article on Japanese culture that could help you, as I myself had to research for Japan culture.

Lady Barbara
11th January 2006, 1:06 AM
I also recommend Gilles Poitras's books on anime ["The Anime Companion I and II"], both of which are on Amazon. They're essentially encyclopedias of Japan, with meanings of words and/or symbols discussed, and their usage in various animes.