PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Morphling

klducks
11th January 2006, 11:44 PM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/uz/morphling.jpg
Morphling - Urza's Saga. Rare
3UU: Summon Shapeshifter
U: Untap Morphling
U: Morphling gains flying until end of turn.
U: Morphling cannot be the target of spells or abilities until end of turn.
1: Morphling gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
1: Morphling gets -1/+1 until end of turn.
3/3

The great morphling. 5 mana for a 3/3 drop. 5 mana is enough to untilize it's abilities. I'll let other people continue the description of how it's so great...

The Duck's Rating: 4.5/5

chaoslord
12th January 2006, 1:28 AM
The thing is nigh invincible. Damage usually doesnt kill it, spells definately wont kill it. jesus christ what more could you want for MUC, or MU itself?

I'm tempted to give this a 5, but then i remember its only invincible with enough mana. That being said

4.5/5

Shadow Trainer
12th January 2006, 2:12 PM
One of the best creatures in this game, for one mana you can give it flying or give it protection from removal spells or pump it's power/toughness.

Not as great as it once was, but still one of the best creatures in the game. 4/5

mindripper
12th January 2006, 2:38 PM
You know, creatures in magic have nicknames as well. Rhox was called "the bomb", and Morphling was called, well, "the swiss army knife", because of its abilities. I doubt I need to say anything about them, because there is little to be said about a creatue that is damn hard to kill, and is probably the best creature for any MUC deck. Before we go on to call Morphling the second coming of Christ, remember that hardly any top tier decks in magic run this card right now. Morphling dominates games, but the meta is so fast that decks simply steamroller MUC right now.

MUC used to be successful in extended with Morphling, until people realised what the urza block gave them. Not just Morphling, but bloody overpowered cards like Tolarian Academy, grim monolith and tinker. From there you got second turn phyrexian collusi in play. Better than a Morphling based MUC? Yep. Or how about Trix? It kicked behinds from standard to Vintage, and still does. Vintage decks which run Morphling have been phased out slowly, like Keeper. Morphling has never been and will never be the best creature in magic, but it does have a deck built around it to augment its abilities. 4.2/5

Strider
14th January 2006, 2:43 AM
I remember that back then it was one of the strongest creature. Have been out of touch with M:TG for quite sometime though.