PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon fanfic wikicity

Ash_Junior
12th January 2006, 8:18 PM
I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with wikicities, but basically, wikicities is somthing that you can make whatever you want.

example:

http://guilds.wikicities.com/wiki/Main_Page (totally random, I just pulled it down off of wikicities)

I just requested a wikicity for Pokemon fan-fics, and I want it to be for ALL Pokemon fan-fics, not just from SPPF. I've put up an advertisement for this on TPT (The Pokemon Tower) forums, letting 'em know.

I'll know within a week if it's accepted or not.

so...

if this IS accepted, I was wondering...

would you guys post your fics there?

it would be easy to post 'em, and it would be REALLY easy to make another link at the end of the chapter/fic for reviews (people would just edit the review page to put their reviews in).

I know that this is a brief overview of this, but it's hard to describe it without actually doing it...

would you guys, as Poke fan fic writers, be interested in this?

even if nobody else joins up, I know that I'm gonna be posting my fics (all twelve or so....) on there...

if anyone else wants to, they're more than welcome to...

if we're accepted.

would you guys be interested in this?

EDIT:

just to point out, this would cancel out the possibility of not being read because your page got pushed down to page 12 or whatever...

your fics would always be there, for anyone to read...

plus you could put a lot of background onto it (you can put links through a word, so if you have some complex topic or something, all the person would have to do would be to click the word, and they'd be given the explanation)...

EDIT2: after reading the popularity thread, maybe I should have named this htread: WHY POPULARITY SUCKS!!!!

then I'd have ten readers within 20 seconds...

:P

Dragonfree
13th January 2006, 1:33 AM
I really like the idea. :) Definitely want it to be accepted, and would post my stuff there.

IceKing
13th January 2006, 1:46 AM
I'm not sure, how would the upload system work?

Dragonfree
13th January 2006, 2:05 AM
It works just like Wikipedia. Basically, there is no upload; you just create a new page, and that gives you a textbox like on the forums where you can copy and paste your fic.

Kiyohime
13th January 2006, 2:14 AM
I think it's a fantastic idea! It's a really great way to start an archive of Pokemon stories. ^^

Ash_Junior
13th January 2006, 2:22 AM
exactly...

and you can make links that you can edit and they become pages, and you can link stuff from there, and....

it's really unlimited as to how you can make it.

sorry, guys, no acceptance E-mail yet.

EDIT:

exactrly, Scrap...

I know my friend Tezza/Topaz has been wanting to get something like this rolling...

Kiyohime
13th January 2006, 2:33 AM
Question! Are people able to post comments, sort of like a guestbook?

Negrek
13th January 2006, 2:43 AM
Oh, yeah. That would be cool.

And yes, I do believe you're allowed to post comments... it does say in the first post that there's the reviewing capability. Or did you mean like a general place for "chatter" as opposed to reviews?

Ash_Junior
13th January 2006, 2:43 AM
absolutely....

however, I would say that we would have a few people that we appoint as admins to "lock" the fic pages, so that they can't be edited by n00bs who hate the author for one reason or another...

however, within the formatting of the page, it would be very easy to make a link to a page where people could edit the page, and leave reviews/comments guest-book style.

for those of you who want to get an early start, here's a link to an editing tutorial:

http://wikicities.com/wiki/Help:Tutorial#Editing

but if you wanted to make a page for reviews and/or comments, you could simply put in:

[[Review/Comment Page]] when you're creating/editing the page, and it's just that easy!

then you'd go through the link once you've saved your edit, throw up some basic thing saying to review, and voila, you've got yourself a page!

wikicities is REALLY use to use once you've got the hang of the editing tools...

BenJS
13th January 2006, 5:31 AM
I'm definately in. After all I didn't get any reviews here, so I may as well try this place if it's approved.

And Tezza's archive is here (http://www.geocities.com/pokemonfanfictionindex/).

katiekitten
13th January 2006, 7:25 AM
I will be there, its a neat idea. :)

RaZoR LeAf
13th January 2006, 12:49 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Would it then be possible to make pages about your characters for instance? So a person reading could go from a chapter into a page that gives a little trivia behind something?

Kiyohime
13th January 2006, 1:02 PM
Since you're creating that, I assume you gain top authority, correct? Does that mean you're going to supervise it, rather like a moderator, or give that position over to Topaz?

Ash_Junior
13th January 2006, 4:33 PM
yeah, I'll be an admin, but I'll have a couple other admins, too...

not sure who else, but Tezza (if she's interested, I know that she's REALLY busy) would definitely be a mod....

and yes, Razor, all you would have to do would use the [[]] double tags when you're editing, and you can make a new page, which you can then edit....

:D

we're not accepted yet, but they said that I'd know within a week of applying, so sometime before next Friday I'll know....hopefully sometime before Thursday evening (that's when I applied for it)

Kiyohime
13th January 2006, 4:43 PM
So you get to control what goes on it and what doesn't? Will you be using guidelines similar to the ones here, or is it more free?

Dragonfree
13th January 2006, 4:47 PM
One concern of mine:

Wikicities have a clear policy on free use on everything placed in Wikicities. Would that mean anybody could take our fics and do whatever with them if we posted them there?

Ash_Junior
13th January 2006, 9:51 PM
to address both of you....

the admins would NOT control what gets put up (unless it's something we agree as a community that we don't want).

their job would be to lock the fics so that nobody else could edit them--the pages would stay the same.

to edit it, the best thing would probably be to tell the admin that they wanna change it, and have the fic page "unlocked" while they edit, then relocked afterwards, so that ONLY the author could edit it once put up.

I'd say that we'd keep the fics put up there PG-13ish, and if R, nothing too explicit (lemons, etc would automatically be taken down). the reason why I'd prefer to shy away from R wherever possible would be to make it as kid-friendly as possible, since htis would be a place for all ages to come together and read good (and not-so-good) fics...and that would include little kids coming online...

that sound good?

EDIT:

more info on the Protection:

http://wikicities.com/wiki/Help:Administrators%27_how-to_guide#Editing_a_protected_page

http://wikicities.com/wiki/Protection

basically, any admin can protect a page, and then ONLY an admin can edit that page.

thus protecting our members from edit wars....

:D

still no acceptance, but I applied only 24 or so hours ago...

EDIT2:

yeah, scrap...

we--the authors, and whoever else comes online--control what goes up.

Kiyohime
13th January 2006, 10:15 PM
Great ! ^^ I'll be sitting here hoping and praying like nuts that it gets approved.

Tezza
14th January 2006, 6:48 AM
*Hyperventilates* So much fanfiction! Right at my fingertips....No hunting constantly changing threads! Update when you want? I am so in! So many writers..... And you could look up created Regions and Pokemon... And bios for all the fanmade trainers... Art! I could do art for all the trainers... *Salivates like Pavlovs dogs*
As for admin... Oh gosh... that is so tempting I would take it if offered. But admin job or not, I am so in!

Ash_Junior
14th January 2006, 5:40 PM
yay!

Tezza's the first admin besides me...

just because she's a realy nice person, and I'm sure shecan handle it/be nice about it.

and me?

I WAS The one that applied for thhis....:P

I'll be choosing the rest of the admins once the wikicity is up, but I've already got a few people in mind...

a word on selecting admins...

for the first round, anyway, I'd like to do that myself, simply so it doesn't turn into a popularity contest, and, well, since there's going to be at least two communities coming together...

once we've melded a little bit, we can decide on what we wanna do for choosing admins (the only reason I'm a bit leery about elections is because it might turn into a popularity contest...*shrugs*)

still no acceptance...

'course it IS the weekend.

I'm betting that it'll be during some business day...

Saffire Persian
14th January 2006, 5:58 PM
And if that doesn't work.. I think I have a Wikicity hosting site that will take us.. just need to inquire as of the name - but we were able to get one for a Pokemon RPG site I was in.. (As in, a list of members, created characters, etc.) o.o So yeah.

Ash_Junior
31st January 2006, 6:59 AM

no E-mail.

this is odd...

yet so typical.

wherever I post in a topic, 6 times out of 10, nobody replies to it, LOL.

Ash_Junior
14th February 2006, 7:13 AM
sheesh....

I FINALLY got a response...

Thank you for your Wikicity request.

There is already an existing wiki for fan fiction at
<http://fiction.wikicities.com> where you are welcome to add the
content you proposed. If the Pokemon section is popular there, it can
be moved to its own wiki at a later stage.

If you need any help with editing that wiki, please see the tutorial
at <http://www.wikicities.com/wiki/Help:Tutorial> or let me know by
email.

Regards,

Angela

--

Angela Beesley
Wikicities.com

*hiss*

heh...

'course, I've taken a quick look at the other fan-fic stuff there...

http://novelas.wikicities.com/wiki/Fan_Fiction

it's pretty sad.

if I put all....*estimates*...ten, twelve, thirteen or so fics up there, it would be more than the rest of the fan fics, I'm sure.

well, it's not much, but it's something.

heh...

let's see if we can prove to Angela that we have a good enough following for our own wikicity....:D

EDIT:

Please note everything you write here can be not only freely copied, but freely edited or even erased, without mercy. If you don't (or can't) agree with these terms, please do not write here

o.0

o...kay....

never mind.

I'm not posting anything THERE....

alternatives, people?

Jetx
14th February 2006, 9:44 PM
Oh that's a shame... there should be some sort of alternative out there...

IceKing
14th February 2006, 10:05 PM
Oh that's a shame... there should be some sort of alternative out there...

it's called, Serebii! The best place to get reviewers for pokemon fanfiction. Or you can try FF.net.. Though Ive never gotten a review there

Act
14th February 2006, 10:22 PM
it's called, Serebii! The best place to get reviewers for pokemon fanfiction. Or you can try FF.net.. Though Ive never gotten a review there

To get reviews at FFnet, you have to give reviews. To n00bs. Who go to flame you and up your review count, drawing actual reviewers to your fic. Quite a cycle they have going.

Anyway, I actually really like the Wiki idea. I'm sure there's another wiki host somewhere.

EDIT! I foud a new host: http://www.pbwiki.com/ I'm gonna check it out.

EDIT PART II Uhh... I think I created us a wiki. http://pokemonfanfiction.pbwiki.com/ Ash_Junior, this was your thing, so if you're on PM me and I'll give you the password... o.o;; That's not what I was expecting to happen...

Ash_Junior
15th February 2006, 4:24 AM
yay!

I'm interested. sent you a PM....:D

okay....if you want your fic up there, post on here, please, and if I/we could get links to the separate chapters, that'd be great, too.

Also, if you want an author's page, please post it here....:D

Kiyohime
15th February 2006, 4:27 AM
*raises hand* WHOOHOO! I'd love one. ^^ Finally, a place for all my one-shots. XD

Ash_Junior
15th February 2006, 4:34 AM
heh...

k.

not sure what capabilities this place has, but we may be able to have colored backgrounds.

you want anything special (no guarantees, tho....as I said, I don't know what we'll have to work with)? And do you want an Author's Profile (if ya do, could ya put it in a post?)?

Kiyohime
15th February 2006, 4:37 AM
What exactly do I put in an Author Profile? XD

And if you need any sort of graphics for the backgrounds, I can supply.

Ash_Junior
15th February 2006, 5:52 AM
just stuff about you....

*shrugs*

kind of like the Authors' Profile thing

Seiryu
15th February 2006, 6:50 AM
Sounds mildly interesting. I might eventually consider putting some stuff up there, so long as what's mine stays mine. PLAGIARISM IS BAD PEOPLE!

Although if I do decide on putting stuff there, it probably wouldn't be until the work is nearing completion at the earliest. That way it'd be as close to the complete and final form as possible and I wouldn't be quite so tempted to procrastinate.

Chibi Pika
15th February 2006, 11:18 AM
This seems so cool!!! I'd love to have a page. ^^

Dunno what I'd want for my profile though. ><

~Chibi~;249;<?>;rukario;

Act
15th February 2006, 9:37 PM
Hey, if you want a page, it'd be much more organized if you were to PM me or Ash_Junior with links to your fics (so we could put them up) and short blurb about you.

Dragonfree
15th February 2006, 11:36 PM
Well, the point of a wiki is kind of that anybody can come and edit the pages. :/

Act
15th February 2006, 11:57 PM
I dunno, AshJunior made it sound like he'd be posting everything, and I have no life, so I figured I'd lend a hand. Feel free to disregard me if I'm wrong.

Dragonfree
16th February 2006, 10:09 AM
Well, if the thought was that he'd be posting everything anyway, I don't see why we'd need a wiki and not just a normal website. o.o