PDA

View Full Version : AG 161: "Munchlax's Battle Debut! Harley and Taking the Game Seriously!"

Rex Kamex
13th January 2006, 2:30 AM
Has anybody seen the preview for this yet? It should come any time now.

Also, like other people have hoped, I too hope that Harley will not try to trick May like he's done before. Anyway, discuss.

Feity
13th January 2006, 2:31 AM
PLEASE Munchlax, be a failure! PLEASE! For Harley!

also, before being asked, preview will be here (http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/pokemon_ag/2_yokoku/main.html) when its up

.Bambi.
13th January 2006, 2:36 AM
Also, like other people have hoped, I too hope that Harley will not try to trick May like he's done before. Anyway, discuss.
That's like asking May to shrink her over-developed breasts...on other words, is not going to happen.
I just hope Harley's trickery actually gives him a win this time.

EDIT - Just realized, you were probably talking about the whole "I'm sorry, forgive me plz" bit. I though you were talking about his mind games in general...whoops. Yeah, I too hope Harley doesn't try that for the 4rd time. And if he does, I hope May doesn't fall for it, even if Nurse Joy had his children -.-o

But as it's been said before, from the episode summary for the Contest after this one, it says something along the lines of May trying again to get a Ribbon [which could lead to a loss this time].

What doesn't make sense is this is Gonbe, so I don't see the writers making him lose on his "battle debut". And there's been a lot of build up with him attack-wise. Ehn. Lose, demmit! >:O

taitofan
13th January 2006, 2:42 AM
I know he uses Ariados-chan, as many Japanese websites have said so. They also mentioned that Noctus-chan was no where in the preview, and either said that Jupetta-chan was there or that they were upset that he wasn't... Damn my lacking Japanese skills. >.< Oh, and there's an Octan that may or may not be Harley. I hope not.

Hopefully the preview will be up soon so we'll know a bit more.

...Harley'd better win. >.< They've practically confirmed it though with the Shuu episode coming up, so I'm optimistic. <3

.Bambi.
13th January 2006, 2:51 AM
I know he uses Ariados-chan, as many Japanese websites have said so. They also mentioned that Noctus-chan was no where in the preview, and either said that Jupetta-chan was there or that they were upset that he wasn't... Damn my lacking Japanese skills. >.< Oh, and there's an Octan that may or may not be Harley. I hope not.
*crosses fingers that Banette will be in this episode*

We need to see more of Banette. We've only seen it at the Grand Festival, and there it wasn't all that great. We've seen Cacturne everytime he's appeared and Ariados was in his most recent Contest, so Banette needs the most love D:

God I hope he doesn't get Octillery [he needs a Murkrow!] It's Probably a Pokemon used in the Contest by a Filler character of sorts.

taitofan
13th January 2006, 2:58 AM
I certainly hope so. Octan isn't a good choice at all... And YES. Jupetta-chan needs more screen time. He gets that uberspiffish appeal, then a sucky double battle. >.> There is no justice in this world...

I do like that Ariados-chan is confirmed though. It makes me a happy fangirl. <3 If he is the one to do the battling (and wins), then it'll be a step towards making up for his awful defeat against Zenigame. XP It'd be tragic if the poor dear gets betten up again... And Harley'd probably throw the biggest snit fit this side of China...

Heracross
13th January 2006, 3:07 AM
Whether or not Octan belongs to Harley, it's certainly nice to see it get some much needed screen time. For such a cool pok&#233;mon, it really has recieved the shaft.

The Big Al
13th January 2006, 3:16 AM
I'm sorry but when I saw "Octan" I started thinking Red Wings.

*Pictures Harley coming in wearing a Red Wings Jersey*

I really hope he wins.
1. I like Harley.
2. I like Octillery.
3. I don't like Munchlax.
4. I don't like May.

JazzJazz
13th January 2006, 4:46 AM
Whether or not Octan belongs to Harley, it's certainly nice to see it get some much needed screen time. For such a cool pokémon, it really has recieved the shaft.

It didn't get the "shaft", it's basically been mocked! That whole episode where it evolved before its remoraid friends was ridiculous.

Pitchi
13th January 2006, 7:47 AM
I can`t wait for the preview >.< Yea, I think May will loose this one.

The Big Al
13th January 2006, 12:05 PM
I've seen the preview and it's looking more and more like Octillery will be Harley's appeal Pokemon. I just hope it upstages that vile Squirtle. Long live the Red Wings mascot.

Alfonso
13th January 2006, 12:30 PM
Everywhere I look, people are saying that Octillery is Harley's appeal Pokemon. o__o; More like it's his choice for battle: We see Squirtle doing his 'stuff' (And sucking.) and then Ariados. Then we see Octillery and Munchlax.

Pretty obvious to me who's gonna be doing the battling.

-The preview shows Harley and May facing off. This is gonna be awesome, people. For once, it appears we ain't gonna have the same old OMG I'M SORRY ;O; routine that the writers dump on poor Harley time and time again. THIS time, he's looking damn kicka*s.

-They show May and Harley facing off... Harley as Ariados (Seriously! Ariados with Harley's head and some fangs. XDD) and May as Munchlax. I loled.

-Harley has some damned sexy/evil scenes.

-Munchlax sucks.

-Squirtle is doing May's appeal. -_-

-Octillery is a Pokemon with suckers. And a large sucking nose. Seriously people, think of the blowjob potential! XDDDD

-HARLEY

-Awesome animation.

I'm a bit up in the air about Octillery, to be honest. I mean, Jupetta would have been awesome, and prefered. Especially since it's been shafted. And Octillery isn't really creepy like his other Pokemon...

...although, Octillery = big sucking nose = another kinky Pokemon to add to Harley's team.

I have to wonder how Malik is going to draw Octillery. o_o

Pika Hikari KT
13th January 2006, 12:51 PM
Octillery, huh? If it is Harley's, we have some awesome continuity! Remember the first time they faced off, and Harley played the 'Meno-chan' story? Seeing May's reaction, he said May would get so mad she'd turn into an Octillery. In both versions. And Harley being the evil little heel he is, I think it'd make sense to tease her about that time again, huh?

Lupin
13th January 2006, 1:07 PM
I didn't expect Harley to have a pokemon like Octillery, but hopefully it will kick Munchlax's arse and Harley will finally have his revenge on May.

taitofan
13th January 2006, 1:08 PM
...Heh. The preview = the sex. Seriously. I wanna have Ari-chan's babies even more now. Octan(-chan?) might be okay... I still wish it was Jupetta-chan of course.

Ariados!Harley is seriously the best thing ever.

I have to wonder how Malik is going to draw Octillery. o_oSexy, I'm sure. They've made all of his other pokemon that way. And yes! Long nose + suctioned tentacles = even more potential for my dirty mind to work. *nods*

And regardless of how I feel about Octan-chan... Harley looks so damn sexy in the preview. ;.; Damn my being born a girl.

Flamez
13th January 2006, 1:12 PM
Have to agree with alfonso Harley does look awesome, their rivalry is definetly something else from others. May as munchlax and harley as ariados was really funny. And i also think it will be Octillery in the battle for harley. Squirtle is well in my opinion pretty sucky.lol. Anyways definetly the episode is looking great with nice animation and cant wait.

Aikou Bupiggu
13th January 2006, 1:25 PM
I pray to the high heavens that Harley gets Octilery, for some reason, I think it really suits him >.> I can't spell, I know, unless by some miracle I spelt that right o.o *watches trailer again*

jolteonjak
13th January 2006, 1:35 PM
If he has Octillery, that would probably put to rest the speculations that he gets a Pidgey. In that case, I'd assume its either Oak's or Drew's.

Alfonso
13th January 2006, 2:11 PM
You know I've been finding rather annoying with recent previews? The crappy text that's on them as of late. I don't need telling HAKURA NO GONBE!!! thank you very much, neither do I need to know HAARII VS. HAKURA!!!

._.

Jo-Jo
13th January 2006, 2:22 PM
YaaaaayHarley!

One thing's confusing me. In that fantastic bit where Harley turns into an Ariados (heee!), May is Munchlax. But why would Ariados vs. Munchlax be implied when the part at the end shows Munchlax vs. Octillery? I assumed Ariados would be doing the appeal. Unless it's... a double battle omg!

Alfonso
13th January 2006, 2:24 PM
YaaaaayHarley!

One thing's confusing me. In that fantastic bit where Harley turns into an Ariados (heee!), May is Munchlax. But why would Ariados vs. Munchlax be implied when the part at the end shows Munchlax vs. Octillery? I assumed Ariados would be doing the appeal. Unless it's... a double battle omg!

I assuming that scene will take place before the Contest has started. Perhaps Harley will be training with Ariados while May is training with Munchlax, and it goes on from there.

I can't wait to see Harley's entrance. I'm totally avoiding spoilers before I see the episode.

MaskedManAbsolkid
13th January 2006, 3:48 PM
Cool preview. I want Harley to win, and if he loses, I hope it's not because of Munchlax pulling a super move.

Brinstar
13th January 2006, 3:55 PM
Oh man, Octillery is in this episode? I don't care who has control of it, that character has just shot up in popularity in my book.

Octillery better lay the smackdown on every Pokemon it has to face in this episode, or I'm going to be very sad. :(

EDIT: I really hope whoever wrote this episode really tapped into the near endless movepool of Octillery. I mean this thing can learn freakin' flamethrower and psychic, among other crazy moves.

ŁańkaŃ
13th January 2006, 4:35 PM
Cool..saw the preview...it was good...

and looks like baby squirtle is up to it baby cool moves again..lol...

CyberCubed
13th January 2006, 4:35 PM
Harley probably caught an Octillery just to piss May off, because in his first debut he said maybe May would evolve into an Octillery. Oh the irony here is delicious.

And yeah, the battle does look like Munchlax Vs. Octillery. A good thing is it looks like Octillery is very capable in battle, it seems pretty fast and looks like it knows some good moves. I hope it knows "Octazooka" or whatever that attack is called.

Jeez, is May ever going to use anything else but Squirtle in her appeals? At least use Combusken there for once. At least we can hope that Squirtle will be left with her family after the BF arc ends, as there's no need to bring an FR/LG Pokemon with her to the D/P region.

This episode will probably be Harley's last appeareance until the Grand Festival, so it's best to savor it. Hopefully at the GF we see all 4 of his Pokemon. And Bannette better get some decent screentime there, it's the most shafted of all his Pokemon.

This looks like a great episode, and if Harley wins (which is likely) its sure to be a fan favorite.

Squirtle_007
13th January 2006, 4:58 PM
Yay ... Harley again (¬_¬)

Before watch the preview, I was 1000% that Haruka will cream Harley again, but now that I saw the preview ... I´m only 50% sure :( , why?, because Haruka looks too confident in the preview, and that reminds me the Rubiosu Contest.

Anyway, it looks like an awesome contest ... no matter who is battling Haruka (¬_¬)

ChaosMage
13th January 2006, 5:18 PM
This rocks! Octillery is a good pokemon to give Harley, and I hope that the battle between them takes up as much episode time as it does preview time! It looks really cool, and I'm glad that May finally has a challenge to face.

Adzieboy
13th January 2006, 7:28 PM
The animation looks really good, I like the shadows :)

Anywho, what attack is squirtle using with bubble there? Is it rapid spin?

Kabuto
13th January 2006, 7:44 PM
Meh. Its really a 50/50 chance of who will be victorious. Will the villain really win? I don't know about that. I honestly wouldn't mind if May beat Harley, but I do want to see her beaten badly by somebody soon. Preferably Ash, after that pathetic victory of Mays back at Petalburg City. Anyway, I hope she uses Squirtle and loses because Munchlax is a pretty good pokemon.

SuperSonic
13th January 2006, 7:44 PM
-To me, Octillery fits Harley perfectly. The writer have done an awesome job of giving Harley the perfect pokemon. Octillery is awesome in my book, I'm happy he's there, even if he ends up losing.

-The May as Munchlax and Harley as Ariados thing is so funny.

- I know you all hate Munchlax and everything and hopes he loses, but if you put the fact that it's Munchlax aside, I recently noticed how well the writers have handled Munchlax battle-wise. He was really bad when he started out, then they started revealing moves, not using him in contests, and then May slowly turned him into a great battler. From the time it faced the Vileplume to how he looked in the preview there was some very well handled growth and well executed battling, in my opinion anyway. I just really appreciate the way the've handled him.

Also, that's a cool scene at the end where Munchlax is pointing his glowing fingers like guns.

ghost master
13th January 2006, 8:50 PM
Will the villain really win?Again Harley/=/ Villian TR=villian. Harley is a good coordinator or else he wouldnt have gone to the GF. Also why is he the villian im pretty sure you can be normal and just hate somoene. Harley imo has 75-25 chance. The summary for the episodes imply that May lost. Also May is long overdue for a lose and Harley is long overdue for a win. Also Harley and taking the game seriously seems to imply he is going to try harder this time than he ever has before.

Korobooshi Kojiro
13th January 2006, 8:53 PM
Seriously, Munchlax is actually pretty cool. I think that at least....better then Squirtle.

Octillery is awesome!

Jo-Jo
13th January 2006, 8:57 PM
Again Harley/=/ Villian TR=villian.
I hear this from people a lot. Just to clarify, how exactly does everyone define a villain? Because in my book, Harley totally is one. ("Haari totemo villain!") His function, plotwise, is to be an antagonist, and morally he's definitely down the shady end. And he seems eviller to me than JJ&M, who have at least demonstrated that they have consciences buried away somewhere.

ghost master
13th January 2006, 9:11 PM
I hear this from people a lot. Just to clarify, how exactly does everyone define a villain? Because in my book, Harley totally is one. ("Haari totemo villain!") His function, plotwise, is to be an antagonist, and morally he's definitely down the shady end. And he seems eviller to me than JJ&M, who have at least demonstrated that they have consciences buried away somewhere.I can see where your coming from but, Gary, Richie and Drew can be considered antagonists as well since they competed against the main good guys. Does that make them a villian? Harley has different methods but he never broke contest rules and he abides to the law he may not have a good attitude about everything but that doesnt classify him as a villian. Also let me put into another perspective. Who do you consider the villian the cheerleader who messes up the other cheerleading squads to try and win or do you consider the villian to be the guy who holds the cheerleaders hostage. Weird comparison but you get the picture.

CyberCubed
13th January 2006, 9:16 PM
But Gary, Drew, and Richie never did anything devious.

Richie was a goody two-shoes, and Gary and Drew were just egotistical arrogant guys who thought they were much better than the rookies.

Gary and Drew at their worse could never top Harley.

Jo-Jo
13th January 2006, 9:20 PM
I can see where your coming from but, Gary, Richie and Drew can be considered antagonists as well since they competed against the main good guys. Does that make them a villian? Harley has different methods but he never broke contest rules and he abides to the law he may not have a good attitude about everything but that doesnt classify him as a villian.
What CyberCubed said. Merely opposing the hero doesn't make you a villain, but opposing them using Harley's tactics certainly does. The May/Harley rivalry is essentially Good vs. Evil - Harley has to be foiled not because he stands in May's way but because he's a Bad Person. You can't say the same for Ash vs. Gary, Ash vs. Richie or May vs. Drew.

ghost master
13th January 2006, 9:36 PM
What CyberCubed said. Merely opposing the hero doesn't make you a villain, but opposing them using Harley's tactics certainly does. The May/Harley rivalry is essentially Good vs. Evil - Harley has to be foiled not because he stands in May's way but because he's a Bad Person. You can't say the same for Ash vs. Gary, Ash vs. Richie or May vs. Drew.Well Harley has never done anything like break any laws or rules. He may have a bad attitude and some devious tactics but, they dont break rules. Its really only on the emotional level that he does anything. He embarrases her,backstabs her, and tricks her. Gary messed with Ash's emotions too he embarrased Ash, degraded him, and got Ash frustrated maybe not to the same extent as Harley but, Harley isnt IMO the villian of the story. Harley is a rival but not to be considered a villian. If you still disagree then alright but we're doing nothing but clogging up this thread and its kinda off topic. So I guess we'll stop this arguement.

Jo-Jo
13th January 2006, 10:15 PM
Why does bad behaviour only count if it's illegal? Isn't bullying a ten-year-old girl and using underhanded tactics to beat her suitably evil? It's not as though Harley can be called a good character, or even an ambiguous one. But OK, I'll stop arguing if it's off-topic.

The Benmeister
13th January 2006, 10:18 PM
Anyway, if you say they won't let evil win, explain why James apparently won the Orienteering challenge in the previous episode.

Roses Ablaze
13th January 2006, 10:20 PM
Why does bad behaviour only count if it's illegal? Isn't bullying a ten-year-old girl and using underhanded tactics to beat her suitably evil? It's not as though Harley can be called a good character, or even an ambiguous one. But OK, I'll stop arguing if it's off-topic.
I made a poll (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=102590) on the subject.

JazzJazz
13th January 2006, 10:37 PM
Anyway, if you say they won't let evil win, explain why James apparently won the Orienteering challenge in the previous episode.

James (or even Jessie & meowth) aren't really "evil"... they're just sorta misguided.

vaporeon89
13th January 2006, 10:37 PM
Finally seen the preview.

It was very cool!! I love squirtle's appealing, and Munchlax looks very cool battling! Is he using headbutt and yawn? (because of the octillery getting asleep) And he looks very,very cool using Metronome.

;134;89

Kabuto
14th January 2006, 12:51 AM
Harley definitely looks angrier than usual. I guess he really is taking the game seriously. It would actually be an interesting plot twist seeing Harley beat May. She obviously deserves a beating from Harley after humiliating him with Squirtle. I like May alot, but she is no where as good of a trainer as Harley.

.Bambi.
14th January 2006, 12:53 AM
YaaaaayHarley!

Or maybe Harley doesn't own Octillery and it's merely the Pokemon of another character May has to face! *gaaaaaaaasp!* :o

Seriously, I don't want Octillery to be Harley's. Even if I go into complete denial...it can't be his. Why would the writers suddenly break the freaky Pokemon chain he's got going on.
What gets me about this is you could imagine Harley with Banette and Ariados, but Octillery is just kind of shocking. I've said it too many times before, but Harley needs a Murkrow, demmit! >:O

Also, why the hell are the writers piling the Pokemon on Harley? From the beginning of AG to before the Grand Festival, Drew had 2 Pokemon the entire time. Sure I wanted to shoot that Roselia for using Petal Dance and Stun Spore for the thousandth time, but at least we got to know his Pokemon. Harley [apparently] is getting his 4th Pokemon this episode.

Yes, we've seen lots of Cacturne and Ariados made an awesome debut [not to mention is going in for the kill for a second time now] but what about Banette? Instead of giving Banette some time in the limelight, the writers are just giving Harley Pokemon which is sad because Banette is an awesome Pokemon. However, all we've seen it use is Screech, Torment, Will-o-wisp, and Thunder. Whoo >.>

Anywhays, overall the episode looks good. I choose to ignore the fact that Squirtle is appealing with that damn pretentious Bubble attack. "Ooh! Look at tha purdy bubblz! 30/30!!1"
God I hope Harley wins [though I must admit, Gonbe does look pretty cool battling and all...] If anyone is to finish Gonbe off, I hope it's Ariados...assuming Octillery is Harley's Pokemon. Octillery shouldn't get the privilege of defeating Gonbe on its first try on Harley's Team [once again, IF!]

Kabuto
14th January 2006, 12:57 AM
Or maybe Harley doesn't own Octillery and it's merely the Pokemon of another character May has to face! *gaaaaaaaasp!*

Seriously, I don't want Octillery to be Harley's. Even if I go into complete denial...it can't be his. Why would the writers suddenly break the freaky Pokemon chain he's got going on.
What gets me about this is you could imagine Harley with Banette and Ariados, but Octillery is just kind of shocking. I've said it too many times before, but Harley needs a Murkrow, demmit! >:O

Also, why the hell are the writers piling the Pokemon on Harley? From the beginning of AG to before the Grand Festival, Drew had 2 Pokemon the entire time. Sure I wanted to shoot that Roselia for using Petal Dance and Stun Spore for the thousandth time, but at least we got to know his Pokemon. Harley [apparently] is getting his 4th Pokemon this episode.

Yes, we've seen lots of Cacturne and Ariados made an awesome debute episode [not to mention is going in for the kill for a second time now] but what about Banette? Instead of giving Banette some time in the limelight, the writers are just giving Harley Pokemon.
Which is sad because Banette is an awesome Pokemon and can be in the anime as well. All we've seen it use is Screech, Torment, Will-o-wisp, and Thunder. Whoo >.>

Anywhays, overall the episode looks good.
I choose to ignore the fact that Squirtle is appealing with that damn pretentious Bubble attack. "Ooh! Look at tha purdy bubblz! 30/30!!1"
God I hope Harley wins [though I must admit, Gonbe does look pretty cool battling and all...] If anyone is to finish Gonbe off, I hope it's Ariados...assuming Octillery is Harley's Pokemon. Octillery shouldn't get the privilege of defeating Gonbe on its first try on Harley's Team [once again, IF!]

Harley was dressed as Ariados and May was Munchlax meaning he may use Ariados in his final battle. Octillery will be:

A. His appeal Pokemon
B. Another trainers Pokemon
C. Fighting Munchlax

RaikousThunder
14th January 2006, 1:00 AM
Whoo! Harley!

This episode looks cool. I kind of like that Harley has Octillery. I think it suits him. Yeah for Ariados again too, i just love it. Funny coming from a person who cant stand spiders. Harley looks totally awesome here too. The pic of him turned into an Ariados was so funny. Seeing Banette again would have been cool but i like them giving repeating characters new pokemon. When are we going to see Drew again? Well back to Harley. I really hope he wins. He needs to show everyone hes not May's punching bag and that even if someone isnt nice nicey they can still come out as the victor. Nice guys finish last right? But is he does win this one we know hes going to lose in the Grand Festival so May can redeem herself. We know Harley will probably throw it in her face if he beats her but she could just say whoo one out of four times, nothing to get all excited about or something in that manner. I really dont want to see Munchlax beat Octillery. Since its its first contest it shouldnt win but that didnt stop Squirtle. It looks like Octillery is using Octazooka and Munchlax uses Metronome. I hope they give Octillery some cool attacks and not make Munchlax get uber attacks from Metronome. Well thats all i got to say. Harley better kick some twerp butt!

.Bambi.
14th January 2006, 1:05 AM
Harley was dressed as Ariados and May was Munchlax meaning he may use Ariados in his final battle. Octillery will be:

A. His appeal Pokemon
B. Another trainers Pokemon
C. Fighting Munchlax
Ummm...thank you? *searches for Captain Obvious*

I've already said that I hope it's another trainers Pokemon. I also said that I hope, if Octillery is Harley's Pokemon, it doesn't beat Gonbe. Ariados needs some redemption, and Octillery is too new.

Sooo...once again, thanks for regurgitating all possible outcomes for Octillery, though they've already been stated in the Thread and from my post I clearly know them >.>

Alfonso
14th January 2006, 1:26 AM
Ummm...thank you? *searches for Captain Obvious*

I've already said that I hope it's another trainers Pokemon. I also said that I hope, if Octillery is Harley's Pokemon, it doesn't beat Gonbe. Ariados needs some redemption, and Octillery is too new.

Sooo...once again, thanks for regurgitating all possible outcomes for Octillery, though they've already been stated in the Thread and from my post I clearly know them >.>

Harley is the one who needs some redemption. At this point, after all the humiliation he's been through, I don't care who ends up helping him bwat May, as long as he beats her and gets a win chalked up. Sure, Ariados needs to kick some a*s too, but I'd rather have Octillery beat Gonbe than Harley lose again.

MagicBox
14th January 2006, 1:44 AM
This is the first time in a while I've been excited about a Pokemon Contest. Not only does Harley have a big chance of winning, but the appearance of an Octillery alone is more than enought reason to watch this episode. Seriously, whether it's Harley's or not (which it most likely is), I'm just glad to see a semi-shafted Pokemon play a main role in an episode. Banette would've been a better choice for this contest than Ariados, but you won't catch me complaining; Harley's pokemon are almost never boring in battle.

Squirtle again?! Gah, I wish May would use her starter Pokemon as much as Ash uses his. We've barely seen anything from Combusken lately, which is a real shame, considering it is better than Squirtle is almost every area imaginable.

I'll end my post by saying that Munchlax actually looks pretty cool in this episode. Of course, I'm talking about the very end of the preview where he points his hands toward the screen like guns and fires an attack. When an animation team can make even Munchlax look cool, you know you have a winner.

*Tries not to imagine how everyone will act if Harley is beaten AGAIN*

V Faction
14th January 2006, 2:02 AM
I've got no complaints so far.

I'm glad the Harley fans will get some satisfaction. I'm glad Octillery is here.

Not much else really. Nothing that hasn't been said anyway. Harley has always been a good rival for May. So everyone in heavy anticipation should find quite a show.

Now to important matters... What, oh what, can our little Octillery know? Psychic, Thunderwave, Flamethrower, Octazooka... Mwuahahahaha...

CyberCubed
14th January 2006, 2:23 AM
I love the fact that the same animation team that did the Tucker/Battle Dome episode is doing this one. I love the colors and shading this team uses, it's a nice change from the usual. The expressions on Harley and May's faces in the preview are a nice hint of what's to come.

This certainly looks to be the best Contest episode of the BF arc so far.

Kabuto
14th January 2006, 2:35 AM
Now to important matters... What, oh what, can our little Octillery know? Psychic, Thunderwave, Flamethrower, Octazooka... Mwuahahahaha...

We saw what I believe to be sludge bomb in the trailer. On second thought, after watching the trailer, I noticed Octillery carries Harleys arrogance so it must be his.

V Faction
14th January 2006, 2:36 AM
I love the fact that the same animation team that did the Tucker/Battle Dome episode is doing this one. I love the colors and shading this team uses, it's a nice change from the usual. The expressions on Harley and May's faces in the preview are a nice hint of what's to come.
Even Munchlax looks good! There be some devil's work afoot.

.Bambi.
14th January 2006, 2:47 AM
Harley is the one who needs some redemption. At this point, after all the humiliation he's been through, I don't care who ends up helping him bwat May, as long as he beats her and gets a win chalked up. Sure, Ariados needs to kick some a*s too, but I'd rather have Octillery beat Gonbe than Harley lose again.
Heh, why do you think I want Ariados to win?

I want Harley to beat May as much as the next sensible person [note the word sensible ;D], and if Octillery is to earn him that victory, so be it.
I would just prefer Ariados be the one to battle after the humiliation of the Saffron Contest. Nothing spells shame like getting beat by a baby Squirtle who just "miraculously" learned how you use Ice Beam.

We saw what I believe to be sludge bomb in the trailer.
I don't know. It could be Sludge Bomb...or Octazooka. As it says in its Game Description, "Fires a lump of ink to damage and cut accuracy", those do indeed look like lumps of ink.

Brinstar
14th January 2006, 4:41 AM
The last time Octazooka was in the anime, it was a glob of water, wasn't it? Of course they have redone a bunch of moves later on, but yeah...

V Faction
14th January 2006, 4:59 AM
If I had to guess, the attack in the preview is Sludge Bomb. Octazooka doesn't receive multiple projectiles like Sludge Bomb.

Infinite Master Sceptile
14th January 2006, 5:19 AM
WOOHOO! An appearance for Octillery. It be one of my all-time favorites. May needs to be owned, badly. Whether Ariados or Octillery does it, I'm just excited to see Octillery. I hope it uses its signature move. Or Flamethrower. Seriously, Octillery could be an awesome appeal Pokemon. Ah, I can see it now.

Yamato-san
14th January 2006, 7:55 AM
EDIT: I really hope whoever wrote this episode really tapped into the near endless movepool of Octillery. I mean this thing can learn freakin' flamethrower and psychic, among other crazy moves.

I don't see why it's such a surprise that it can learn such moves. Octan and its pre-evolution has some bases off of a gun, they both learn several projectile-based attacks, the Japanese name is based off of "tank" and the English name is based off of "artillery". Why should it be any surprise that it's capable of mimicing a real flamethrower? For that matter, I also hear people are surprised that it can learn Bullet Seed. As for Psychic, octopi are very intelligent creatures. One study showed that a specimen figured out to twist the lid off of a jar in order to get to the contents. Their brain mass is pretty large as well, and given the shape of Octan's head, I'm sure the same applies to it.

Anyway, I hate seeing Zenigame being used for the third contest in a row. But, if Harley beats Haruka for once, which is most likely to happen given future episode summaries, it will totally redeem that turtle's presence. In fact, I'd actually have preferred it better if Zenigame was the one doing the battling, since it'd be the one getting its as* kicked (like it should've in Yamabuki), but meh... I knew about the title, with "Gonbe's Battle Debut" for close to a month now. I guess so long as Harley can finally get the victory he's deserved, that's all this episode needs to potentially be one of the best the Battle Frontier's had yet.

I don't see where all this speculation on Octan being another trainer's Pokemon is coming from. The preview focuses on Harley and no other human character besides Haruka, meaning it's not likely that another coordinator will play a big part in the episode. And Octan appears to be too involved for it to belong to a random nobody coordinator. Coordinators are capable of using two Pokemon, for appeal and for battling, we see Harley's Ariados, but we don't see another Pokemon that we already know belongs to him. With all this in mind, I'd say it's safe to conclude that the Octan is indeed Harley's. And yeah, it's not quite as scary as his other Pokemon, but..... I don't know. If the animators play their cards right, they could make it come off as being a viscious, blood-thirsty, tentacle monster.... or a dangerous weapon, given my explanation earlier on how it is logical for it to learn Flamethrower or Bullet Seed [gets mental image of Harley in an alley, smoking a cig, and holding Octan like a machine gun].... or maybe it could seem like both.

The Big Al
14th January 2006, 12:11 PM
I noticed May is going to have a Metronome fest with Munchlax. THis means two things. She loses miserably because she never gets the right attack. Or we get a repeat of the Phantom and there their would be some writers I'd love to say "you're fired" to.

I really love Octillery. It screams Red Wings, my favorite Hockey Team. I used it as an avatar when I heard the 05-06 season was going ahead. So I really want to see it win.

Not to mention I hate Munchlax, especially since it's being turned Pokemon's second mascot. I can take it small doses but not all the time. Oy Vey.

Simply put
Red Wings Mascot > Pokemon Mascot

ghost master
14th January 2006, 1:12 PM
I noticed May is going to have a Metronome fest with Munchlax. THis means two things. She loses miserably because she never gets the right attack. Or we get a repeat of the Phantom and there their would be some writers I'd love to say "you're fired" to.I only saw it once. I believe he only used two moves in the preview focus punch and Metronome. Anyway as others have mentioned the animators made Munchlax look kinda cool when fighting. As for the battle it looks like its gonna be a good one. And if the sumary is correct May will lose this one.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
14th January 2006, 3:59 PM
If nothing else, we'll see some awesome animation in this episode. I doubt that's it, though, because the episode is looking to be one of the Frontier's finest.

Harley again is always good news, and Octillery.....Octillery is just awesome, and it can be fitting. Octillery can look positively fierce at times, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they can turn it into a malevolent, bloodthirstyy kraken-creature. With this animation team, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they pulled it off and pulled it off well.

I do agree that we need to see Banette more, but still, I can't yearn for Banette if there's an Octillery in it's place.

Ariados is a seriously cool Pokémon, so I'm glad to see it again as well.

Baby Zenigame.....Blegh. I never liked Ash's Squirtle, and May's Squirtle isn't redeeming it in my eyes. Baby Zenigame needs to be promptly introduced to the business end of Octillery.....Too bad Munchlax is battling, though.

And BTW, my disappointment with Munchlax has nothing to do with Munchlax itself. Munchlax has really become an excellent Pokémon since we first saw it, and I'm excited to see it battle, especially with such marvelous animation. But if May's gonna lose, I'd love for Baby Zenigame to take the blow.....Munchlax doesn't deserve it in his debut. But if he wins, then Harley has lost yet again. Either way, someone will be getting an undeserved loss :(.

And about Octillery, I'm hoping that it gets an interesting voice. The squeak that the little boy's Octillery had was adorable, but it would really go against the theme of Harley's team ._. Besides, Pokémon change voices a lot(Lanturn and Kingdra come to mind here). Who's to say Octillery won't get a deeper, more serious voice in this episode?

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

V Faction
14th January 2006, 4:06 PM
Who's to say Octillery won't get a deeper, more serious voice in this episode?
Tropius would argue with you on that.

....If it wasn't bawling its eyes out back stage because of the crappy voice it got.

But never fear! Octillery's "Honk Honk!!!" is more than acceptable. It is the voice of ANGELS.

Missingno. Master
14th January 2006, 4:09 PM
Octillery, hmm? That'd be a nice change.

Hey, how come nobody ever posts pix from the preview here anymore?

ChaosMage
14th January 2006, 4:37 PM
Munchlax does look really cool, and this will probably be the best battle of the BF saga so far, or be a very close runner up.

intergalactic platypus
14th January 2006, 7:19 PM
But never fear! Octillery's "Honk Honk!!!" is more than acceptable. It is the voice of ANGELS.
LMAO. For the record I will kill someone if they degrade poor Octillerey with the voice. I just hope its Harleys

squirtleking
14th January 2006, 7:25 PM
Go Harley! Show the world that May is weak! Smash that pathetic excuse for a pokemon to pieces! Nuff said.

MagicBox
14th January 2006, 10:23 PM
Hey, how come nobody ever posts pix from the preview here anymore?There's not really a point since the link to the actual preview is usually posted on the first or second post of these threads.

Go Harley.

Matt Silver
14th January 2006, 10:52 PM
I LIKE OCTILLERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hem hem
THis seems like another contest ep, May will lose this one (She has to lose at least one against Harli sometime). Where is it set in? Celadon?

Zoramon089
14th January 2006, 10:52 PM
Also the previews are a lot bigger and clearer now

Dark Cacturne
14th January 2006, 11:06 PM
I don't hate octillery, but I prefer his cacturne in a battle against may, too bad it won't be in it this time.

But Harley, I'm still supporting for you all the time! Go get her man!! Finish her off! Go Harley, go Harley. I'm right behind your buddy!!!

And don't forget, use one of your sneaky tricks again, mwuhahahahaha!!!

Heracross
14th January 2006, 11:16 PM
Where is it set in? Celadon?
Modama Town.

Squirtle_007
14th January 2006, 11:25 PM
Focus Punch, Solarbeam, Metronome ... Munchlax knows very powerful attacks, but that Octillery looks dangerous with that Sludge Bomb and that shiny attack looks powerful too.

Well, at least this contest it&#180;s not gonna be like that one against Kimimaro

I agree, Haruka needs a loss, but Satoshi needs one too, and ... now that I think about it ... Harley winning once wouldn&#180;t kill Haruka I mean, she had beaten him three times already, but I still prefer that Haruka loses to Shuu because I think he is a more worthy rival

Goooooooo Haruka!! Get the third ribbon!!

Brocksketchum
14th January 2006, 11:26 PM
I, too, look forward to Octillery's voice and May's stragety for this contest. I'll giggle if Gonbe pulls the same thing as Squirtle at the Saffron one.

Heh, no matter what will happen in the episode, I won't be disappointed. :)

Alfonso
14th January 2006, 11:30 PM
Focus Punch, Solarbeam, Metronome ... Munchlax knows very powerful attacks, but that Octillery looks dangerous with that Sludge Bomb and that shiny attack looks powerful too.

Well, at least this contest it&#180;s not gonna be like that one against Kimimaro

I agree, Haruka needs a loss, but Satoshi needs one too, and ... now that I think about it ... Harley winning once wouldn&#180;t kill Haruka I mean, she had beaten him three times already, but I still prefer that Haruka loses to Shuu because I think he is a more worthy rival

May has lost to Shuu three times already. Having her lose again would just be pathetic and meaningless. Not to mention boring.

You know what needs a loss? Squirtle, that's who. =3

Squirtle_007
14th January 2006, 11:39 PM
May has lost to Shuu three times already. Having her lose again would just be pathetic and meaningless. Not to mention boring.

You know what needs a loss? Squirtle, that's who. =3

Three times?, I just remember two times, one in her first contest and another in Grand Festival, the fight in "Get Arcanine" don´t count because it wasn´t a contest and it was there where Squirtle got a loss ^_^

But I got to agree with something: Losing three times against a same opponent is pathetic, right Harley? :rolleyes:

Flamez
14th January 2006, 11:42 PM
Ill second that Alfonso, ever since may got it i've been disappointed. They gave it ice beam and its been in every contest so far including this one. As others have said already i would've prefered squirtle to take the beating in this episode, that would've made this episode even better then it is right now.

after watching the preview once again, Octillery really does seem good for harley as a pokemon, IMO. The attitude that octillery has is really great.

Alfonso
14th January 2006, 11:45 PM
Three times?, I just remember two times, one in her first contest and another in Grand Festival, the fight in "Get Arcanine" don&#180;t count because it wasn&#180;t a contest and it was there where Squirtle got a loss ^_^

But I got to agree with something: Losing three times against a same opponent is pathetic, right Harley? :rolleyes:

The loss in the Arcanine episode DOES count. It's a battle, and would have been exactly the same should it have been in a Contest Hall.

Squirtle needs a loss that takes place AFTER it showed up Ariados with it's Ice Beam crap. Before that, people liked the thing.

Don't even GO there with the Harley comment, kid.

V Faction
14th January 2006, 11:49 PM
But I got to agree with something: Losing three times against a same opponent is pathetic, right Harley?
Haha.

Erm. Sorry Alf.

007, nice knowing ya.

Squirtle_007
15th January 2006, 12:04 AM
The loss in the Arcanine episode DOES count. It's a battle, and would have been exactly the same should it have been in a Contest Hall.

Squirtle needs a loss that takes place AFTER it showed up Ariados with it's Ice Beam crap. Before that, people liked the thing.

It doesn´t count because in a Contest Hall, go crying with mommy doesn´t end a match.
And ... since when a loss is necessary?
This contest looks excellent and Squirtle is not gonna even battle and I don´t want to be here forever debating with all the Harley fanbase, so I just gonna say:

Go Haruka and Munchlax!!

intergalactic platypus
15th January 2006, 12:15 AM
I believe the writers have done Harley a great disservice by making him constantly lose to a ditzy 10 year old who still has plenty of learning to do in the way of contests. Hes a far better coordinator then hes given credit for and I find it very frustrating that hes made to look so pathetic. So squirtle007, I wouldnt suggest even starting with the "hes pathetic" argument

Alfonso
15th January 2006, 12:18 AM
It doesn´t count because in a Contest Hall, go crying with mommy doesn´t end a match.
And ... since when a loss is necessary?
This contest looks excellent and Squirtle is not gonna even battle and I don´t want to be here forever debating with all the Harley fanbase, so I just gonna say:

Go Haruka and Munchlax!!

Uh, actually, it would. The Pokemon refusing to battle means that the trainer loses the match. Running off crying and jumping into it's trainer's arms would certainly count as 'refusing', and taking protection from it's trainer might even count as a rule breach.

Since when is a loss necessary? Since Squirtle, a Pokemon with pretty much no battling experience learns a powerful attack such as Ice Beam, uses it in a totally unbelieveable way (Freezing ALL the webs in the Contest Hall, despite not actually hitting any.) and beating an evolved Pokemon through total BS means. And then finishing by standing on top of the Pokemon it defeated, a Pokemon which deserved to clock up a win for it's trainer, and flexed its muscles in the annoying arrogant way it did. THAT'S why a loss is necessary.

That and pretty much everyone hates the thing.

Brinstar
15th January 2006, 12:59 AM
Personally, I like May and I like Munchlax (the Breeding Center ep made me a Munchy fan)

That being said...

If this episode doesn't end with an Octillery stained even more red with the blood and entrails of its victim (sorry Munchlax) I feel that I can't be sated.

I don't know if my heart can take seeing an Octillery with those trademark KO-swirly eyes. It would just be too much.

So, this time, and ONLY this time (unless he uses Octillery again) I'm rooting for you Harley.

Yamato-san
15th January 2006, 7:15 AM
Uh, actually, it would. The Pokemon refusing to battle means that the trainer loses the match. Running off crying and jumping into it's trainer's arms would certainly count as 'refusing', and taking protection from it's trainer might even count as a rule breach.

Since when is a loss necessary? Since Squirtle, a Pokemon with pretty much no battling experience learns a powerful attack such as Ice Beam, uses it in a totally unbelieveable way (Freezing ALL the webs in the Contest Hall, despite not actually hitting any.) and beating an evolved Pokemon through total BS means. And then finishing by standing on top of the Pokemon it defeated, a Pokemon which deserved to clock up a win for it's trainer, and flexed its muscles in the annoying arrogant way it did. THAT'S why a loss is necessary.

That and pretty much everyone hates the thing.

You also left out the fact that the writers so suddenly gave Ice Beam a drawback that could also be used to its advantage, then immediately forgot about said drawback in the future. But regardless, couldn't have said it better within a single paragraph myself.

Tropius would argue with you on that.

....If it wasn't bawling its eyes out back stage because of the crappy voice it got.

No, Octan was saying "Taaaan!"

Hey, I just realized something.... do we know if Haruka and Harley are competing in the finals? If they are, that'd mean they did that for the third time in a row (Grand Festival aside). And if the writers don't decide to go that repetitive route, they'll go another repetitive route, and you can guess what happens to poor Harley when he does go into the finals after scoring a victory. Oh god... what if they suddenly put Robert in this episode, or some Battle Frontier equivalent of Robert that's destined to win the Kantou Grand Festival? That would be all kinds of suck. Well, the preview didn't showcase anybody else (I forget, but did Robert appear in the preview to his debut ep? He was only briefly there in the episode itself), and here's hoping the writers aren't 'that' repetitive and undermining of such a great character.

taitofan
15th January 2006, 7:36 AM
Actually, Robert (or Shuu, but we know he's not in this one) is the only person I wouldn't be upset to beat Harley. That doesn't mean I want it too happen mind you... But just because they won't be repetitive in one aspect doesn't mean they won't in another. I personally think they'll both make the finals.

...But if Harley loses to someone new and he isn't Harley future soulmate (God forbid it be another little girl, ack), I'll cry. He needs to win a ribbon for us all to see darnit.

And who wants to bet the appeal round judging won't be shown yet again? Jupetta-chan in the GF was the only one to get a score shown (89? Stupid judges, he deserved way more than that...). I wanna see more of his scores darn you! >.<

V Faction
15th January 2006, 4:10 PM
No, Octan was saying "Taaaan!"
Sorry Yamato, this time I have scientific proof backing me up on this claim.

4 out of 5 Dentists agree that Octillery has no beneficial means of preventing tooth decay.

...Wait, that... that really doesn't help my case at all, does it?

Momiji
15th January 2006, 5:19 PM
Quik question, is munchlax using Metronome at the end of the preview??

If he is, the there's our "super move" >_<

Torchic23
15th January 2006, 5:23 PM
Who is Robert? Anyways, I hope May wins this one too. Jerks like Harly don't deserve to win

CyberCubed
15th January 2006, 5:59 PM
Robert won the Grand Festival in Hoenn.

intergalactic platypus
15th January 2006, 6:40 PM
fAnd he is also a pretty boy who is amazing and seems pretty metrosexual to me. On topic, if Harley wins this one this might be the last reigon we see him in. Either him or Drew could theoretically be written out this season since May has to beat one of them

ghost master
15th January 2006, 7:21 PM
On topic, if Harley wins this one this might be the last reigon we see him in I think this will be his last region because there has been more focus on him. I think they've been building up for this to happen. Munchlax had good moves though. Metronome is good but, with moves such as solar beam and focus punch those are powerful enough and unique that metronome wont be needed all the time.

The Big Al
15th January 2006, 7:58 PM
That is Metronome which is really got me ticked off. I'm worried this will turn into a Phantom repeat which would only further piss me off.

Gravy
15th January 2006, 8:06 PM
I hope they do something good with Metronome actually. I couldn't care less if its the only attack Haruka makes the thing use, as long as we don't get saddled with seeing Ice Beams, Water Guns and Flamethrowers flying out of its fingers.

Splash is a definate, becuase they ALWAYS have to have a Metronome screw-up like that. Togepi did it, Clefairy did it, Munchlax has already done it once before. If Splash isn't used during the entire Contest, I'll eat my hat...providing I take the time to purchase one.

....man, I really wish I had arrived to this thread 2 days ago.

V Faction
15th January 2006, 8:09 PM
Hey, I'm more comfortable with Metronome than with Focus Punch and Solarbeam, which have had their effects/weaknesses completely written out. Focus Punch acting like all the previous Punches before it, Solarbeam needing hardly any charge time... At least Metronome does what it's supposed to!

Oh, one thing with Metronome though... It's COMPLETELY random, mmm'kay? So if I see a friggin' Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Iron Tail, OR EVEN SPLASH, I'll go insane in the membrane! Or if May manages to get a combo of attacks that work miraculously well together in a row (Lock-On/Horn Drill for example)--same thing. Cukoo, Cocoa Puffs, the whole shebang.

EDIT: Holy Shitto, Gravy. Not only did you post before me, but the content is near the same. Stop scaring me dude.

Brinstar
15th January 2006, 10:53 PM
You know, it would be great if Munchlax Metronomed a Self Destruct...I'd laugh for days

The Benmeister
15th January 2006, 11:11 PM
You know, it would be great if Munchlax Metronomed a Self Destruct...I'd laugh for days

That has been the best suggestion I've heard this week.

But wouldn't it be a little more helpful if Munchlax learned a new move? Not something overblown like a spontaneous Fissure or something, but just a simple move like Tackle, so that it wouldn't have to resort to Metronome after Metronome, with the out of nowhere Focus Punches and Solarbeams or what have you.

V Faction
15th January 2006, 11:19 PM
Tackle...? That's like asking if I want to die from death by grasshoppers or death by crickets. Sure, the crickets make a lovely noise, but you know the instant you turn your back they'll be wanting to move in. Grasshoppers can actually hop, offering some use. Even if they DO manage to get a job, the colors are enough to burn your eyes off anyway!

Y'know, I really forget where I was going with this...

The Big Al
16th January 2006, 1:21 AM
You were reading my mind. *Thinks of the gag on Pokesho*

Honestly, Assist and Metronome really bug me in the anime because the writers can make everthing go right.

MaskedManAbsolkid
16th January 2006, 5:09 PM
Robert also appeared in may's first contest, Torchic23.

I'm happy, I just found out from Bulbapedia that Harley wins. Even though I like Munchlax, Harley deserves to win.

Alfonso
16th January 2006, 5:15 PM
Robert also appeared in may's first contest, Torchic23.

I'm happy, I just found out from Bulbapedia that Harley wins. Even though I like Munchlax, Harley deserves to win.

Uh, what?

The episode hasn't aired. No one knows if Harley wins or loses yet: What you've probably read is the summery of the Contest after this, which *hints* at May's loss.

The Benmeister
16th January 2006, 11:03 PM
Tackle...? That's like asking if I want to die from death by grasshoppers or death by crickets. Sure, the crickets make a lovely noise, but you know the instant you turn your back they'll be wanting to move in. Grasshoppers can actually hop, offering some use. Even if they DO manage to get a job, the colors are enough to burn your eyes off anyway!

Y'know, I really forget where I was going with this...

I didn't say it HAD to be Tackle...just something...like...y'know...

Meh, I expected this so I'll just leave it open ended.

V Faction
16th January 2006, 11:08 PM
I didn't say it HAD to be Tackle...just something...like...y'know...

Meh, I expected this so I'll just leave it open ended.
No, I don't. Give me the scoop!

Gravy
16th January 2006, 11:23 PM
Oh! How about Bubble!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/ggfb.jpg

The Big Al
16th January 2006, 11:27 PM
How about Minimize and Octillery eats him?

Aldrius
17th January 2006, 1:00 AM
Or... or... Leer!

Munchlax: Munchlax! *Glares*
Octillery: *Defenses are lowered* *Blasts Munchlax with Hyper Beam*
Haruka: My fool-proof plan! No!

Eh, I hope Harley wins. 'cause he has the same name as good ol' Harley Quinn. Besides that he has purple hair, and he's cool. (Yyyesss, full-proof logic!)

Endgamelikespie
17th January 2006, 8:54 PM
yeah, you're all right, Harley should win

and while we're at it, Team Rocket should succeed in stealing Pikachu!

.....in case you didn't figure it out by now, both of those were sarcasm, seriously, Harley should have disappeared forever like many other trainers before him

Alfonso
17th January 2006, 8:59 PM
yeah, you're all right, Harley should win

and while we're at it, Team Rocket should succeed in stealing Pikachu!

.....in case you didn't figure it out by now, both of those were sarcasm, seriously, Harley should have disappeared forever like many other trainers before him

Harley beating May and Team Rocket getting Pikachu are two totally different things. Harley beating May wouldn't end the show, Team Rocket getting Pikachu though, would.

Korobooshi Kojiro
17th January 2006, 9:03 PM
Hey, so does anyone know why Octillery is glowing in the preview?

I actually LIKE, Munchlax. There, I said it. He's kinda cute and funny, but I also like Octillery. I hope Munchlax loses gracefully, or wins fairly.

Gravy
17th January 2006, 9:17 PM
Harley should have disappeared forever like many other trainers before him
Why? He's one of the few decent recurring characters that this show has managed to produce. If you ask me, you shouldn't subject characters like that to bs one-shot roles, especially if the likes of Richie are allowed to get whole episodes devoted to them :/

Hey, so does anyone know why Octillery is glowing in the preview?
I'm tempted to say its gearing up for a Double Edge. Though I suppose moves along the lines of Fire Blast, Hyper Beam and Octazooka (PLEASE!) are just as likely. They seem like the sort of attacks that need to be charged up or whatnot.
If its Hyper Beam I shall hit my head against a desk multiple times....unless its the finishing move. An uber attack like that KOing one of Haruka's pok&#233;mon would be pretty sweet :P

The Benmeister
17th January 2006, 9:24 PM
*Drags out a desk*

It's weird, because as much as I want Harley to win...could it at least have been against Squirtle? I actually think Munchlax is an alright Pokemon that deserves one chance to win...maybe it will redeem itself in the second contest episode if it loses this one (even though Eevee is yet to appear in a contest).

Brocksketchum
18th January 2006, 1:55 AM
*Drags out a desk*

It's weird, because as much as I want Harley to win...could it at least have been against Squirtle? I actually think Munchlax is an alright Pokemon that deserves one chance to win...maybe it will redeem itself in the second contest episode if it loses this one (even though Eevee is yet to appear in a contest).

By the way, are you a person who is hoping that Squirtle gets screwed some way during the appealing round since it won't be battling?

Don't worry, I'm open to opinions, and if I'm not, then I give you permission to slice my arrogance into pieces. ;)

I agree with the redemption there. It happened with May's (or Haruka's, I'm temporarily experimenting) Bulbasaur, and I suppose I should
observe based on patterns rather than letting it flow like always. Nah, I'll leave that to you and go back to my niche of pointing out
the obvious yet remaining on topic. That way, I'm always right. :D

Bling King
18th January 2006, 2:57 AM
Sorry folks, but there's a large probability that Harley will lose this contest. The writers are basically going to keep him as May's contest rival who always gets beaten and humiliated. Team Rocket are "villains" who always get beaten and humiliated(which is why I dislike them) and Harley, after Squirtle somehow became freakin' Bruce Willis and then humiliated Ariados by dancing on it, is now stuck in the same position.

Aldrius
18th January 2006, 7:53 AM
Is that your own personal speculation or are you basing this on any real fact? Because saying something like that after James just won a majour competition is kinda silly. :P Plus Harley is a rival, a pivitol character, while Team Rocket are more comedy relief than anything nowadays.

-Aldrius ;230;

Pitchi
18th January 2006, 8:10 AM
Sorry folks, but there's a large probability that Harley will lose this contest. The writers are basically going to keep him as May's contest rival who always gets beaten and humiliated. Team Rocket are "villains" who always get beaten and humiliated(which is why I dislike them) and Harley, after Squirtle somehow became freakin' Bruce Willis and then humiliated Ariados by dancing on it, is now stuck in the same position.
Is that really true or you`re just saying? Because It is clear that May is the one who`ll loose..

Torchic-Coordinator
18th January 2006, 8:49 AM
If Munchlax versus Octillary and if it ends up winning then it'll use Solar Beam to finish it off. Remember the Grand Festival? Skitty's Assist gave it Solar Beam and it was implied that Munchlax knew the attack.

Aldrius
18th January 2006, 2:14 PM
Again are you just speculating? It's not "O LOL, MAY WIL WIN SORI." Unless you give proof. :P

-Aldrius ;230;

The Big Al
18th January 2006, 2:34 PM
Tomorrow is the day of reckoning. We've been waiting a long time for this one. Let's hope it goes right. I still think Harley has this one. Why would they have two contests between brains otherwise?

Anyone else about ready to hurl at the picture of Munchlax flexing his flabby arms on the main sight? I know I am.

The Benmeister
18th January 2006, 3:40 PM

That is untrue. Somewhere on one of the episode speculations (I forget which one) someone posted the episode summaries for the upcoming episodes. The one two episodes after this one states that May is retrying for her ribbon...which seems all the more likely now that Harley is apparently 'taking the game seriously'.

Yamato-san
18th January 2006, 8:58 PM
now that Harley is apparently 'taking the game seriously'.

Or.... you know.... it could be the other way around. You do have to remember that quite a lot of times, Haruka has only gotten by on luck [cough]f***in' deusche ex machinas the likes of which haven't been seen since Kantou[cough] as opposed to her own skills. I'm hoping that's the case, anyway, because I'm sure we can all agree the lucky streak is BS by this point. Maybe she ends up abusing the living hell out of Metronome and this gets through to her as a result of that.

Korobooshi Kojiro
18th January 2006, 9:03 PM
Tomorrow is the day of reckoning. We've been waiting a long time for this one. Let's hope it goes right. I still think Harley has this one. Why would they have two contests between brains otherwise?

Anyone else about ready to hurl at the picture of Munchlax flexing his flabby arms on the main sight? I know I am.

Maybe May will lose to Drew? May-be Harley, May-be Drew? May puns, bwaha!*shot*

And that picture of Munchlax is awesome! I have the pic with him ready to fire a Metronome with his fingers as my desktop background!*shot again*

Heracross
18th January 2006, 9:15 PM
I don't really care, just as long as that's the only flexing it does. &#172;&#172;

CyberCubed
18th January 2006, 10:16 PM
Maybe May will lose to Drew? May-be Harley, May-be Drew? May puns, bwaha!*shot*

Drew isn't in this episode.

The Big Al
18th January 2006, 10:45 PM
I don't really care, just as long as that's the only flexing it does. ¬¬
Especially if it's over a pile of calamari.

Bling King
19th January 2006, 1:01 AM
James just won a majour competition is kinda silly.

Yes, he won after nine seasons and over at least 250 eps. Also, from the sound of it, Harley seems to be a better rival than Drew now while Drew just seems to be another guy in a contest.(On a sidenote, Squirtle beating Ariados and then dancing on it is enough to make Harley a repeating villain via anger.)

Also, to whoever said I have no proof, the proof is in the show. TR basically show up in the bushes, lose a fight with Ash or the cotd's Pokemon, then get blasted off in basically every episode. There have also been episodes where they've ultimately been humiliated and have their goals taken from them, leaving them in the gloomy backdrop while Ash&Co. end up happy(Princess vs. Princess, Who Gets to Keep Togepi?, etc.)

The writers can still try something fresh, and if they do, good for them. I'm just saying don't raise your hopes too high. The show has been repetitive in the past, and it may not have changed as much as you think.

ghost master
19th January 2006, 1:20 AM
Also, from the sound of it, Harley seems to be May's rival now while Drew just seems to be another guy in a contest. why? Drew seems to be a rival not the side rival. He will be making his 2nd appearance in the upcoming contest after this one. If anything Harley would be the secondary rival because he appeared so late in the Hoenn season. Although I consider them both to be her main rivals.

Also, to whoever said I have no proof, the proof is in the show. They were refering to your comment about Harley always going to lose. Which actually there really isnt evidence hes only had 3 meet ups with May and yes he lost all of them but, may has never beat Drew and Drew even beat Ash. So going by that logic we could also assume Drew will always beat May. Harley hasnt had enough time for us to determine but, the summary does suggest that May losses this one. Why else would the writers cram two contests only an episode apart. Not to mention that Harley is in the title and it suggest he'll really be trying and Munchlax battling for the first time wouldnt be bad either.

What I want to see is Harley win no matter what if he is honest or tricks may. Octillery would be ok for May. Munchlax should go down with a good fight not some fluke like it using metronome to explode itself because it would just be a waste of a good potential episode and also I would rather see Harley take it down then watch it take itself out. Munchlax seemed cool in the preview and all. I know some people really dont like Munchlax because he is advertisement or they dont like them no matter what because they dont really like May. I never really liked Munchlax because it had been useless up until now. If it battles well and its believable then I dontt hink people should give it crap like they do now. Squirtle and Skitty can be complained about although Squirtles were a little more believable since they made sense unlike wonder skitty.
So to sum it up give Munchlax a chance. Yeah Squirtle's victory was kinda cheap with the ice beam but, I think we can get past that it has done awesome things and done things to make up for the ice beam incident. IMO the only pokemon that deserves the hate is her skitty so far.

.Bambi.
19th January 2006, 5:02 AM
Ho God, Decision Day is upon us...tomorrow.

You know, speaking of all this "flexing", I just thought of something. When Harley beats May, wouldn't it be SO like him to order Octillery/Ariados to stand ontop of Gonbe and flex to show up Squirtle?

Ooooh...I hope he does that now. He would reach a whole new level of man*****-ism with that little douzie =D

Yamato-san
19th January 2006, 9:05 AM
Squirtle and Skitty can be complained about although Squirtles were a little more believable since they made sense unlike wonder skitty.

No, I actually found Eneko more believable. Sure, it plowed through a Hyper Beam with a Blizzard, but at least it had quite a bit of time to develop before its contest. Hell, it prolongued being in the first contest Haruka was in since its capture (the battle against Grace, which Agehunt took part in), and it managed to learn not one, but two new techniques within the time span. Sure, it kinda got a hold on Blizzard a bit quickly, but at least it saw the attack in action and managed to try it before supposedly mastering it (unlike a certain turtle, which didn't see Ice Beam in use at all). I'd go as far to say that Eneko's development at that point had perfectly prepared it for its first contest.... they just didn't pull off the contest itself correctly.

Zenigame, on the other hand, was a starter Pokemon. In other words, a Pokemon for beginning trainers, meant to be a little weak so trainers can grow with them (and not instantly uber so all starting trainers are cheap). On top of that, its crybaby persona immediately leaves you to assume that it's very young as well, while with Eneko, we have no clue as to how old it is when it was caught in the wild (sure, it's playful, but that's just representative of it being a cat). Within about 15 episodes after Haruka got it, it barely receives any training whatsoever, and it's still at a point where it's running to Haruka crying for comfort. Yet, in the exact same episode where Shuu's Flygon battled it, it immediately went from crybaby, to being able to take down Musashi's Dokucale with a single Tackle (I know Rocket Dan's a bit weak, but Jesus, they deserve more credit than that). Then about two or three episodes later, it suddenly pulls out an Ice Beam despite being completely unfamiliar with the technique.

Then it immediately participates in the first contest it comes across, unlike Eneko, and if you were paying attention to what I just said, the preperation for said contest was hardly realistic. They should've had it gets its as* handed to it by Ariados, much like what happened to Fushigidane when it first participated in a contest (and it's not like it was very crucial that Haruka win her first ribbon in the Kantou region, anyway), but nooooo, it goes and wins, and the win was also cheap and unrealistic (that Ice Beam hardly came in contact with every web around the contest hall, and the writers could've damn well had Harley find some way to make Ariados defend itself in that situation. Also, that recoil effect only seems to have been present in that episode and nowhere else). I may be a bit biased, since I actually find Eneko cute unlike that damned turtle, but given what I said, I'd say Eneko's actions are actually a bit justifiable by comparison.

Yeah Squirtle's victory was kinda cheap with the ice beam but, I think we can get past that it has done awesome things and done things to make up for the ice beam incident. IMO the only pokemon that deserves the hate is her skitty so far.

You say it's done awesome things to make up for it? Like what, exactly? Do you mean the way it stole Heigani's rightful spotlight in the Hakuryuu lake episode (Heigani, BTW, not having had a good role in quite a while) by learning Rapid Spin (Heigani also never learned a new technique in the whole time Satoshi's owned him, while the rather new Zenigame was just recently given Ice Beam)? Or having its ugly mug showing up in almost every frame of the time travel episode, just kinda standing there out of its Monster Ball for little reason but plot convenience? Besides, it's not a matter of "doing something cool" that would make up for its crap. More of a matter of seeing it beaten to a bloody pulp itself as retribution for that Ariados fiasco (it still has yet to be KOed in a battle. It only ran off the battlefield crying while battling Flygon).

Ho God, Decision Day is upon us...tomorrow.

You know, speaking of all this "flexing", I just thought of something. When Harley beats May, wouldn't it be SO like him to order Octillery/Ariados to stand ontop of Gonbe and flex to show up Squirtle?

Ooooh...I hope he does that now. He would reach a whole new level of man*****-ism with that little douzie =D

If only we still had the reputation system, I would totally give you credit for this post.

The Big Al
19th January 2006, 9:44 AM
I just hope Araidos makes Squirtle's appeal look like crap in comparison. It's about as much justice as I could hope for.

I'm just hoping Harley wins. The writers have screw the man over one too many times.

Lupin
19th January 2006, 12:57 PM
Well we'll know soon enough whether or not she has been beaten.

*crosses fingers*

intergalactic platypus
19th January 2006, 3:13 PM
If May wins with Munchlax, I will proceed to slap everyone I come in contact with out of sheer frustration. So lets just hope she loses

Sushi
19th January 2006, 3:20 PM
Just read the first post of PokeAni's Episode Discussion thread. Harley won against May, don't worry. Kinda stating the obvious, but since people still seemed to be worried somehow.. &#244;O

V Faction
19th January 2006, 3:23 PM
Harley won against May, don't worry.
Quoted for truth.