PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Umezawa's Jitte

klducks
14th January 2006, 2:29 AM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/bok/umezawas_jitte.jpg
Umezawa's Jitte - Betrayers of Kamiwaga. Rare
2: Legendary Artifact - Equipment
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage, put two charge counters on Umezawa's Jitte.
Remove a charge counter from Umezawa's Jitte: Choose one - Equipped creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn; or target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn; or you gain 2 life.
Equip 2

Since we did Morphling, a staple in the urza block, I thought we might as well do Jitte, a staple in the Kamiwaga block. Removal (I should mention that it surpasses indestructable), Pumping, and Life gain, all in one card. Cheap cost. Cheap equip. What more do you want? Cons?

1) You need to deal damage in order to utilize this card. Not that hard unless your facing huge first strikers. *not a prob*
2) It says you need to deal COMBAT damage. (not much of a drawback unless you love prodigal sorcers and viashino fangtails.
3) Legendary (also, not much of a drawback. And infact, saves it from ban list IMO)
4) People ban this card anyway.

The Duck's Rating: 4.5/5

Shadow Trainer
14th January 2006, 11:58 AM
IMHO one of the best equipments in the game, removal, pump and life gain all in one card. 4/5

klducks
14th January 2006, 7:24 PM
IMHO the best equipment in the game, removal, pump and life gain all in one card.
I think 90% of the magic community think the bold statement. ;-)

With the lack of equipment cards (theres only 62 total) it really isn't much competition for Jitte.

Shadow Trainer
14th January 2006, 10:52 PM
I think 90% of the magic community think the bold statement. ;-)

With the lack of equipment cards (theres only 62 total) it really isn't much competition for Jitte.

Skullclamp wants to have a word with you.

mindripper
14th January 2006, 11:12 PM
Oh sure, Jitte is a great card. A Limited bomb, and is pretty nifty in constructed as well. However, can I ask how we are supposed to rate this card? I do not know about the statement that Jitte is the best equipment. Skullclamp is already miles ahead of the Jitte in terms of raw power, which is why it got banned after release. In terms of pure usability in a deck built to cater for the equipment, Cranial Plating is much more important than Jitte. The former may not have the broken factor that Arc Ravagers or Disciples had, but it made creatures like Ornithopther extremely dangerous, and sticked around as well even if the creature dies. Raffinity would not be nearly the deck it is without this card. On basis of specific deck importance, I would rate Plating over the Jitte. In fact, the Jitte is not even the best artifact in the Kamigawa set. That particular honour belongs to Sensei's Divining Top. Otherwise, the Jitte is absolutely brilliant in decks with a critical mass of creatures, about fourteen of them for maximum usage. I do not think I need to say more about this card. 4/5

klducks
14th January 2006, 11:51 PM
Forgot about clamp =\

~RaikouRider243~
16th January 2006, 1:39 AM
I'll 4.75/5 this. I just...hate the Jitte because it's so good. Where I play, everyone just calls it "The Jitte". That and Pariah's Shield with Myojin means you're practically invincible. Unless you can somehow give Myojin -8/-8 before it deals any damage...