PDA

View Full Version : Do your support ships because of the amount of hints?

Kagome Higurashi
14th January 2006, 8:46 PM
Do you support a shipping because it has more hints than others? Do you think ships that don't have hints are inferior to ones that do?

Canon vs Fanon.

intergalactic platypus
14th January 2006, 8:55 PM
Of course I don't. If you see which ships I support its pretty obvious hints don't matter to me. If they did I wouldn't like egoshipping, punchdrunkloveshipping, or imageshipping for starters

cold_katanagirl
14th January 2006, 8:59 PM
Nope. Hints are just icing on the cake.

CyberCubed
14th January 2006, 9:17 PM
I support ships that I like.

Some ships may have a couple hints, but I don't support them because I think they're boring or I dislike them.

Phantom_Bugsy
14th January 2006, 9:22 PM
Ew. Godno. In fact, one could say I support ships because they DON'T have hints. <3

Seijiro Mafuné
14th January 2006, 9:30 PM
If you go for hints, you will have too much problems and not only it's not worth it, people make more fun of you because you'll use even the lightest thing as a hint.

Orion-Sama
14th January 2006, 10:11 PM
Nay. CyberCubed said it all. I support Ships that I like, regardless of measly factors... :)

DarkGirl
14th January 2006, 10:21 PM
I don't support any ships anyway, but I never really thought hints could make anyone like something.

clown_buggy
14th January 2006, 10:44 PM
Nah. As long as I like a ship, I'll support it. I really could care less if it has hints or not.

Chelc
14th January 2006, 10:46 PM
...the majority of the time. Can't help it. I'll end up liking it anyways, just because it's there. There are a few exceptions, though. ^^;;;

Shadowfaith
14th January 2006, 10:48 PM
No way, I prefere ones that don't have hints, but then there are some that I support that do haev hints as well, mostly hints that are hidden quite well though XP

I support those I like, whether they be fannon or cannon.

Nylf
14th January 2006, 11:01 PM
Generally, hints help. I don't support fics JUST because of hints, though hints help me notice it in the first place. I like to enjoy romances, watching and reading them, so if I see ANY sign of anything that puts forward anything romantic( I won't just jump on nothing as a hint, generally a comment or action that most would consider a hint) then that will make me notice it and if I like how it goes I will support it, if I don't, I will either keep reading/watching because the show/book/fic is good, or stop watching/reading. I don't overall need hints, I support some fanships, but I really do have to say I enjoy hints. There's that, and looks stopped bothering me ages ago so I can't really say 'they look cute together', because unless I see things on a deeper level I can't really see very much.

Mamoru
15th January 2006, 12:50 AM
Ships I like, I like. Ships I think will happen, and have hints, I support. Sometimes I like a ship I support, sometimes I don't, but regardless of if I like it or not, if it's evident that it will likely happen, I'll support it.

Shigeru-kun
15th January 2006, 1:37 AM
Sometimes, and sometimes not. If a see a ship with lots of hints, it sometimes makes me lean in and start to support it. Nine times out of ten though, I support relationships based on the characters. If I like two characters very much, then I usually slap them together and support it. If they get some actual hints? Awesome! But most of the time they don't and I just go on supporting it in my own little world. XD

Jo-Jo
15th January 2006, 4:35 AM
Yes and no. Saying "I like this ship because it has hints" is a clinical way of putting it, but a lot of the time it works out that way. Like Nylf, I love romance in stories and I love watching fictional romances unfold. Therefore, if there is a romance plot in a show/book/film, it'll likely pique my interest, and if it's suitably interesting, chances are I'll like it.

Regardless of whether I like it, though, I'll definitely support a ship it if it has hints. But that's just because I don't see any point in ignoring what's there. And it irritates me when anti-shippers try to explain away the most obvious attempts by writers to portray two characters as being into each other.

Encyclopika
15th January 2006, 5:04 AM
I voted no because I was being as literal as possible with the question - but it's flexible.
There are plenty of one-shot and never met ships I support, so it all comes down to if I like it or not. Of course I wouldn't ignore hints for a ship I didn't like or support (and that comes into play A LOT in my Digimon season 2 veiwing as well as Gundam Seed). The point is, is that I don't support ships just because of hints, but they are always a nice bonus to chew on.

CyberCubed
15th January 2006, 6:08 AM
Regardless of whether I like it, though, I'll definitely support a ship it if it has hints. But that's just because I don't see any point in ignoring what's there.

Hmmm, then I'll be looking foward to the day where you support Advanceshipping Jo-Jo. :D

Lil Brother
15th January 2006, 7:07 AM
Eh, I'll only support a ship if I think it has a chance of really happening. <.<

Edit to make me sound like less of a jerk: You know, relatively. I doubt we'll ever see serious shipping in Pokemon. Bah, let's just say whichever ones seem to appeal to me and have had things that can be considered as hints if you twist it enough. :P

Jo-Jo
15th January 2006, 7:08 AM
Hmmm, then I'll be looking foward to the day where you support Advanceshipping Jo-Jo.
:D *waits for Drew/Wakana ep to air*

STJ
15th January 2006, 7:11 AM
Do you support a shipping because it has more hints than others?

No, I don't think so. There are plenty of ships with 'hints' that I dislike.. Serena/Darien being an example, Naru/Keitaro being another... IN both cases they become a couple, but I dislike the ship nonetheless

'Hints' I suppose, help.But I can think of several examples of ships which had plenty of 'ships' had people which would support it and had full confidence in it becoming 'canon' which eventually went nowhere. I like ships for several reasons, usually because I like the characters, or feel symphathetic towards them, and because of my 'logic' and think that it can work out..in the case of Gymshipping, for example, as well as my view of their relationship in general, it's also because I can see that Brock actually wants to be in a relationship.

Do you think ships that don't have hints are inferior to ones that do?
NO.

If it's one thing I cannot stand or tolerate it is shippers who are arrogant, egotistic, act superior and gloat simply because they believe that their ship has more merit/more 'hints'/is 'canon'.

Hakajin
15th January 2006, 7:11 AM
Not purposefully. But for me to get emotionally attached to a ship, I have to see the two people together and see how they help each other and watch their friendship grow. I can't get into ships just because I think two people might be good together. Sure, I might think it's cute, but I wouldn't get upset if they ended up with other people. At least one of the people in the ship has to have feelings for the other if I am going to like it.

But that's not to say I like every cannon ship; there are a few that I can't stand. It really depends upon the chemistry and the . . . believability of the ship. I can't stand it if there's nothing but mush.

Jo-Jo
15th January 2006, 7:13 AM
NO.

If it's one thing I cannot stand or tolerate it is shippers who are arrogant, egotistic and act superior simply because they believe that their ship has more merit/more 'hints'/is 'canon'
In fairness, a lot of the canon shippers get branded as arrogant just because they say their ships are canon, not because they look down on the fanon ships. Most of us canon-thumpers don't have a problem with non-canon ships at all; we just get annoyed when people claim they have evidence when they don't.

Swifty
15th January 2006, 7:16 AM
^^^ The Aladdin/Jasmine shippers are the worst.

Jo-Jo
15th January 2006, 7:16 AM
*dies laughing*

STJ
15th January 2006, 7:22 AM
In fairness, a lot of the canon shippers get branded as arrogant just because they say their ships are canon, not because they look down on the fanon ships. Most of us canon-thumpers don't have a problem with non-canon ships at all; we just get annoyed when people claim they have evidence when they don't. ;)

You may have a point.

My opinion however, still stands firm :p

Andromache
15th January 2006, 10:19 AM
I support a ship generally because to my mind, the characters have stuff in common and would likely make a good team. A lot of my support is for similar personality pairings. Indeed, I think my sig says it all, as far as general preference goes. I wouldn't say I believe any of my ships to be canon or even that they will be. It's just that I could believe these pairings and have seen hints that the pair cares for each other or gets along well together. And as someone else said earlier, I ship characters I like together, as I presume most people do.

Edit: About shipping characters I like, I think I'll rephrase that to say it also works for characters I don't like to be paired together. Like for HP, I dislike Sirius and am sort of wishy-washy on Lupin, but I think slash between them is canon.

Shadowcat
15th January 2006, 2:35 PM
No. If I like the ship, I support it. You choose what you like...

MayRules
15th January 2006, 4:51 PM
No. If I like the ship, I support it. You choose what you like...
Yeah, me too, if I like a ship then I support it, not because there are a lot of hints.

Misty-chan
15th January 2006, 7:33 PM
Hints isn&#180;t all in shippings, but help very much... I don&#180;t like of shipping just because of 'hints' , but shipping without hints is stranger.

The Red Butterfly
16th January 2006, 2:18 AM
I don't Ithought ash and Misty went together great thats y I support that ship and I think waterflowershipping would b interesting and THERE R ABSOLUTLEY NO HINTS THERE but i still think its cool

Roses Ablaze
16th January 2006, 2:26 AM
No, though I will say there has to be *something* there, be it friendship or even just mutual respect or pity. I don't like ships people just pull out of ther arses.

Hakajin
16th January 2006, 6:01 AM
Yeah, I don't like a ship because it's got hints, but the hints are what endear certain ones to me.