PDA

View Full Version : Dual-themed gyms...

Joshua - Shadow Brigadier
15th January 2006, 3:23 AM
During a very lengthy PM convo Scrap and I had the other day, I decided to revive another old fic of mine, Blood Life Trinity. However, it's not going to be seriously revised until Shadowheart Vendetta is finished.

But anyway, my question is about gyms. Blood life Trinity is (in short terms) a very twisted OT fic, and I've decided to go with the original (I hope) idea of dual-themed gyms.

In other words, gym that use two different types of Pokemon, or Pokemon that are hybrids of said type. For example, the first gym is Electric/Steel, and the leader will have an Electrike, a Magnemite and an Aron.

What do you guys think of the idea of dual-themed gyms? And has the idea been done before?

Joshua

DKzM0mA
15th January 2006, 3:30 AM
Actually I haven't heard of this being done. This idea was brought up before I believe, but it wasn't really given much attention. I really actually like the idea of dual type gyms. It gives the challenger a bigger surprise. Because of their being so much pokemon being dual typed themselves, almost anything can be expected. Like I was to use a fire type against your elec/steel gym, i could possibly sweep through until i hit aron who could possibly know rock based attacks. In my opinion it puts up a bigger challenge and involves more strategy.

Yami Ryu
15th January 2006, 3:36 AM
O_o this sounds like what I was gonna have for the final gym in one of my fics. The new gym leader in Viridian used 'Double Battles' and 'Double Types' only. IE like Tyranitar and Metagross, and etc. o.o

But outside of you, and I, I've never seen the idea done before, or even suggested/mentioned. But even then, your idea is dual types while mine is just a gym leader with six pokemon and no doubling up on types XD

Anyways, good luck with your idea, sounds like it'd make for some interesting Gym leader battles.

Negrek
15th January 2006, 3:43 AM
Interesting idea; not one that I've heard before, really. I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm sure you can do well with the idea.

Dilasc
15th January 2006, 4:06 AM
If you ask me, type based gyms get boring very fast, even if a leader is diversified to two or three. If you ask me, gyms need a theme beyond types, as with only 17 types, there's a point at which it just grows dull. That's why I personally avoid gyms based by type, or if at all, by type alone.

Is it better than say a monotyped gym that can be repetitive? Heck yea! Still, its not exactly the most exciting thing to have.

Why not have a gym based on the strategy used, such as maybe a confusion based gym, where the Pokemon use confusion based techniques? Ya know, something that has no true definition (or less of one at the very least) of what can and cannot be accepted.

Heck, be creative! There is no law that screams that gyms must be based on types. You can have a gym based on a carnival spectacular with a variety of Pokemon that are carnival themed.

One the other hand, mixing these dual type gym with a bunch gyms that are not type based at all can be a good thing.

Joshua - Shadow Brigadier
15th January 2006, 4:12 AM
If you ask me, type based gyms get boring very fast, even if a leader is diversified to two or three. If you ask me, gyms need a theme beyond types, as with only 17 types, there's a point at which it just grows dull. That's why I personally avoid gyms based by type, or if at all, by type alone.

Is it better than say a monotyped gym that can be repetitive? Heck yea! Still, its not exactly the most exciting thing to have.

Why not have a gym based on the strategy used, such as maybe a confusion based gym, where the Pokemon use confusion based techniques? Ya know, something that has no true definition (or less of one at the very least) of what can and cannot be accepted.

Heck, be creative! There is no law that screams that gyms must be based on types. You can have a gym based on a carnival spectacular with a variety of Pokemon that are carnival themed.

One the other hand, mixing these dual type gym with a bunch gyms that are not type based at all can be a good thing.

Well, actually, my first fic that I posted here had gyms that used strategies as themes. The first gym was based on Mirroring the opponents strategies (Ditto, Pidgeotto, Wobbufet), the second was based on counter-attacking (Wobbufet, Heracross). I think I had something about a trap based gym, with medicine balls hanging from the ceiling, and the gym leader having a Forretress and Alakazam.

Joshua

Iveechan
15th January 2006, 4:21 AM
Myself. I've had ideas for theme typed gyms for about two years now (so have other people... while the idea is novelty, it's not unheard of). Things like a song theme gym (uses Pokemon known for their voices, I imagine one outcast junior trainer who loves Loudred and Exploud), a forest gym (like bug and regular animal/bird types), a farm gym (uses barnyard Pokemon) and so on. Gyms are so much fun to work with, and I enjoy seeing people put creativity into made-up gyms and go beyond monotype.

So yes, like the idea of dual-type gyms. But try to think of other ideas too.

Tale
15th January 2006, 12:06 PM
I love the idea, dual type gyms offers a whole lot more variety and can sometimes even produce bigger problems for the opposing Trainer. A very interesting idea, one I like.

Dilasc's suggestion is great one as well, I agree with him and some others - using various themed gyms could prove very interesting and original.

But yeah, that dual-type thing sounds great, I say stick with it.

Evan Turner
15th January 2006, 1:16 PM
The idea is great. I like it. The idea is simply superb. Dual Types Gyms are something I wanted to do, but I'm using orginal Gym Leaders, so it's not possible. But, the dual type gyms are a pretty good idea. Now that I have nothing left to say, I'll go.

Smuggler

Keleri
15th January 2006, 5:24 PM
In my 'fics, the gym leaders are so tough to beat for the average trainer that each gym is required to restrict itself to a certain type in order to give trainers an easier time. :3

I actually haven't seen anyone employ a dual-type gym before--most people skip types entirely and go with a theme like all dog-like pokémon or something. Sounds cool though, so I say go with it. x)

BenJS
19th January 2006, 4:18 PM
For my own region I was considering dual type elites and themed gyms.

Ryano Ra
19th January 2006, 8:06 PM
Joshua, that is definitely a good idea. ^^

I like the idea of dual-themed gyms, for Galabonia has a dual-themed gym (in fact, the ONLY gym of the entire region, for Dragonriders, Sky Knights, and Sea Warriors) in Dreamland that uses both dragon-types and ice-types, and the gym leader uses a Piloswine, Dewgong, and a Dragonite. 8D I say go for it!