PDA

View Full Version : LotR ships

Andromache
15th January 2006, 11:12 AM
Because there's an HP thread.

Ironically, LotR has so much "canon" slash, it's not even funny. Or maybe it is, if you have an ironic sense of humor.

So, what ships do you guys support? My OTP for this fandom is Legolas/Gimli, which is love/hate but pulls me in because there's more involved than simple petty rivalry. It's generations of animosity and a definite move on both their parts to live near each other and promote goodwill among their kinds.

I also like Aragorn/Eowyn in the movieverse and Aragorn/Arwen canonically, though that is cliched, too. I support Frodo/Sam and Merry/Pippin, though I don't like the ships enough to hunt for fanfic. Oh, and Bombadil+Goldberry = "Awwww."

intergalactic platypus
15th January 2006, 4:45 PM
Look at my claimed couple and you'll see. I just adore Frodo and Sam, its so cute and they care about each other so much. No one will ever support Frodo as much as Sam. I cried at parts with them in the book, like when Sam thought Frodo was dead. *Sigh* its my favorite book

Lady Barbara
15th January 2006, 4:48 PM
I support Faramir/Eowyn, Aragorn/Arwen (both canon), although the idea of Merry/Pippin strikes me as funny.

intergalactic platypus
15th January 2006, 4:50 PM
The only LOTR ship I loathe is Arwen/Aragorn. She was barely in the book so when they got married it seemed to come out of nowhere, and in the movie they blew it out of proporiton

Lady Barbara
15th January 2006, 8:40 PM
Peter Jackson said that he included Arwen in the trilogy solely to give Aragorn some backstory as to why he's reluctant to become king of Gondor, not to mention add some romance to an otherwise action-laden plot. I believe she's more prominently featured in the Silmarillion and/or Unfinished Tales.

Sika
16th January 2006, 5:56 AM
*points at sig*

Meh with Aragorn/Arwen...

Frodo/Sam are so cute together that it´s scary... Remember a short clip at MTV Movie Awards of some year? Even they pointed out the shipping in that ocassion...

Never thought about Merry/Pippin, but it can be done ^_^.

Andromache
16th January 2006, 12:19 PM
Eh, it's true. Aragorn/Arwen is the obligatory boring ship, but it's so subtly done with Aragorn holding that elanor flower in Lorien and saying farewell to Arwen, as well as Arwen's weaving of Aragorn's banner for the big battle for the ships where they walk the Paths of the Dead. She's very much a background character, but she's sort of Aragorn's quiet inspiration to keep on with the fight for Gondor to win her hand. Elrond said she could not marry him unless he were king of both the northern and southern kingdoms of Numenor and Gondor.

Edit: A lot of the backstory is found in the appendices. Galadriel actually set them up because she dressed Aragorn like an elf lord one day when Arwen was set to visit her. Arwen and Aragorn actually met in Rivendell when Aragorn was about twenty. It was love at first sight, as most medieval tales go. So no, the marriage actually didn't occur out of nowhere and wasn't blown out of proportion. Aragorn battled hard for his prize. ;)

Faramir is just an awesome character in the books. Shame they butchered him in the movies.

And I'm with IP: no one loves Frodo more than Sam.

Silver Ryu
16th January 2006, 11:00 PM
Frodo/Sam, huh? Well, I can see Sam being in love with Frodo, but in the case of both of them, it's the same way I feel about a lot of other shippings. That any love that they have for each other is the kind of love you would have for a family member, or a very close friend. You know what I mean?

I've read the books, but I never really got involved in them. There was just something about them that seemed dull. And it ended too abruptly, without explaining what had happened.

Andromache
22nd January 2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah, the writing style really doesn't give much incentive for plowing through the books. Honestly, I had to have my best RL friend prod me to finish it, swearing that it'd be worth my while. It was. The story itself is very good, but yes, the books are very tedious to read.

STJ
22nd January 2006, 11:30 AM
I like Arwen/Aragon, just because XD

Faramir/Ewoyn - Not mentioned in the movie.. but a nice resolution (in my opinion) in the book

Sam/Rose.. Well.. I thought it was funny..when he was to shy to dance with her..

Sam/Frodo - Do any of you guys watch Rove live? LOL, there's a skit where they advertise the DVD, and have a scene with Frodo and Sam- They're looking for each other, the funny thing being that they're right next to each other :D

Frodo: Sam!
Sam: Mr Frodo!
Sam: Mr Frodo!
Sam: Mr-you get the picture, don't ya?

Andromache
22nd January 2006, 11:49 AM
Ha. The Frodo-Sam thing does sound funny, though it could get annoying if done for too long.

Oh, Faramir/Eowyn was cute in the books. :) The taming of the shield maiden. I always liked Rohan a bit better than Gondor.