PDA

View Full Version : Will shipping happen?

intergalactic platypus
16th January 2006, 3:50 AM
Many people on this forum seemed convinced that *insert characters here* will so become a couple, but not everyone thinks anyone will even hook up. Some people including myself think no characters will be involved in a romantic relationship. A crush is as far as it goes in the opinion of many. So how bout you. Do you think shipping has a chance?

Encyclopika
16th January 2006, 3:57 AM
I always like to leave room for the "anything can happen" theory. Since Pokemon is an ongoing saga with virtually no end, perhaps it will end with a ship - in meaning....well...has anyone seen the end of Digimon where it shows where all the characters are at the end? I think [hope] it will turn out that way. But dating on the show...not likely.

Kabuto
16th January 2006, 3:59 AM
Of course not.

Tiffany
16th January 2006, 4:00 AM
I think a canon ship in Pokemon is more of like... how do I put this.. a verified crush. Like they both have feelings for each other, and it's proven and you can't deny it. I highly doubt 2 characters will actually start dating, besides Brock and some character (however.. with Brocks luck.. I highly doubt it, I hate to say) considering he is older.

CyberCubed
16th January 2006, 5:04 AM
It is quite possible for an "Ash" ship to become canon sometime.

I also think that only one pairing will ever lock lips in the show, and that will be Ash and "said girl here". I'm placing my money on Ash to have a girl by the time the series ends, and that's about it.

Torchic23
16th January 2006, 5:06 AM
The Misty and Ash one has pretty much already happened. Remember that one Pikachu's Jukebox "Misty's Song". I found that very surprising for pokemon

CyberCubed
16th January 2006, 5:09 AM
"Misty's Song" was a dub invention, and Ash never returned Misty's feelings in a "We're in love!" kind of canon.

Ash and Misty never got together, they never became a couple, they never "declared" their love for each other. :p

Heracross
16th January 2006, 5:09 AM
I would be extremely surprised if any main character pairing became canon in the animé. I just can't see the writers doing something like that.

Torchic23
16th January 2006, 5:11 AM
"Misty's Song" was a dub invention, and Ash never returned Misty's feelings in a "We're in love!" kind of canon.

Ash and Misty never got together, they never became a couple, they never "declared" their love for each other. :p

But they will :p yeah, I guess it was just wishful thinking, lol

Shego
16th January 2006, 5:18 AM
Well, kissshipping had occured before. But when Ash,and Melody meet each other again, it will happen again in the future. What do you think?

Hakajin
16th January 2006, 5:56 AM
I don't think anyone would start dating or anything, but I do think that the writers might insinuate that two people ended up together. Like through an accidental confession or something like that, but it would have to have humor in it too. Just because it's a kid show.

Starter530
16th January 2006, 6:01 AM
I do think thast anything can happen
but
the odds of shipping happening are pretty low
I mean honestly the show is too liberal to try anything different that involves anything past holding hands

Hakajin
16th January 2006, 6:08 AM
I don't really think liberal is the word. More like innocent.

CyberCubed
16th January 2006, 6:08 AM
I mean honestly the show is too liberal to try anything different that involves anything past holding hands

Huh? You do realize that two girls have already kissed Ash on the cheek right? (Melody and Latias)

We've seen a kiss on the cheek in this show already, as two movie characters have already kissed Ash. We just haven't seen a mouth to mouth kiss yet, which I imagine we won't until one of the "Ash" ships finally becomes canon near the end of the series.

Jo-Jo
16th January 2006, 10:00 AM
We've seen one mouth to mouth kiss, but it was between two Pokemon so maybe it doesn't count.

I think the only way we'll see any canon couples is if there's an epilogue. I imagine a main character ship or two will be strongly implied, though.

Swifty
16th January 2006, 10:41 AM
The JAG series finale is a nice case study regarding television shows where relationships take the back seat when writing the screenplays:

The final episode "Fair Winds and Following Seas" saw Harm and Mac being assigned to different posts: Harm in London, and Mac in San Diego, California. They finally confront their feelings and decide to get married. The episode ends with them tossing a JAG challenge coin to decide who will give up their career to be with the other. Although we never see the outcome, as the screen fades to black the face of the coin is showing, which says: "JAG 1995–2005".Like Pokemon, JAG had a lot of "once in a blue moon" shippy scenes between Harm and Mac and this started from the second season. It wasn't until the series finale when they finally hooked up.

intergalactic platypus
16th January 2006, 5:30 PM
I disagree cyber. I don't think there will ever be passionate kissing or anything, particularly not with Ash. I'm pretty sure that any kissing will be reserved to a romantic scene ending with a peck on the cheek. Even so, I find it far far more likely that Brock will find a woman then Ash. It seems like the writers will keep Ash asexual forever

Lil Brother
16th January 2006, 5:38 PM
Actually, Ash is pretty likely to get in a ship at the end of the series. He is a shounen hero, after all. He'll be obsessed with Pokémon until the very last minute when he starts to notice boobies exist. XD I wouldn't be surprised at CyberCubed's scenario.

Kasumi-chan
16th January 2006, 5:54 PM
I doubt that we will see Ash dating. Maybe the writers will do something like in digimon where when the show ends, they show Ash, Misty, Brock, May, Max and some of the other reocurring dudes as adults who have their own children, but are married to someone we never see in the show. However, the might also do it like in the card captors manga. the two people finally confess their love for each other and one of them has to move far, far away and then they show a bit when its like 5 years later, the missing character comes back and start dating. anything is possible, but the show is just too innocent to actually do too much romance.

intergalactic platypus
16th January 2006, 5:57 PM
If Ashy-boy does hook up I think it will be with some girl we've never met, or won't meet till the last ep. I hope so at least or else the shippers community will go to hell :/

Kyle
16th January 2006, 6:03 PM
I doubt that we will see Ash dating. Maybe the writers will do something like in digimon where when the show ends, they show Ash, Misty, Brock, May, Max and some of the other reocurring dudes as adults who have their own children, but are married to someone we never see in the show. However, the might also do it like in the card captors manga. the two people finally confess their love for each other and one of them has to move far, far away and then they show a bit when its like 5 years later, the missing character comes back and start dating. anything is possible, but the show is just too innocent to actually do too much romance.

I'm wondering people only talk about Ash. What about the other shippings? Well ... doesn't matter. Back to what I wanna say.

I think shippings will happen, but not in the way, that we would say that it is happen. I guess, the creators will show us signs and each fan can interpret this sign in his or her own way ... similar like in Yu-Gi-Oh.

Raziel
16th January 2006, 6:07 PM
I doubt any of the main characters will end up paired up, except for Brock, and maybe Ash.

IMO Ash will just end up with a girl who will only appear during the last episodes of the series, or something like that.

Maybe will see Brock finally with a random girl... maybe an Officer Jenny, or Nurse Joy.

To be honest, I doubt there will be shipping in Pokemon, and I believe the end of the series will focus more on the characters reaching their goals, rather than showing if they found love with someone.

intergalactic platypus
16th January 2006, 6:17 PM
Lucifer, Brocks goal is to find love with someone. Thats why I can picture him hooked up. I think thats how he'll leave the series-with a girl

FabuVinny
16th January 2006, 6:18 PM
I think we may see a elia ship confirmed with Ash's father and all.

I do believe that the writers initially intended to have Ash and Misty hook up at the end of the series. But now that there is no end in sight, I don't think they have any concrete plans at the moment.

Crystal Clair
16th January 2006, 6:25 PM
What about Jessie and James? They've had pretty cannon moments throughout the 1st season. Does anyone remember Holy Matrimony or the moment when James called his friend "Jessica?" They're like a real couple.

CyberCubed
16th January 2006, 6:26 PM
I disagree cyber. I don't think there will ever be passionate kissing or anything, particularly not with Ash. I'm pretty sure that any kissing will be reserved to a romantic scene ending with a peck on the cheek. Even so, I find it far far more likely that Brock will find a woman then Ash. It seems like the writers will keep Ash asexual forever

Well it IS his show. And since Pokemon is a shonen anime, it's very likely that Ash will have a confirmed pairing by the end of the series. And when I say "mouth to mouth" kiss, I'm not expecting a make out scene. Just a simple 5 second lip to lip kiss between Ash and "said girl here".

The writers clearly like the idea of exposing Ash to love. They're had various characters (and movie characters and one-shots) crushing on him throughout the series. They've done this for a reason, because Ash will finally get a girl at the end of the series.

As for other people, yeah Brock may get someone too someday. Because that kinda IS his goal.

There's also the problem with May, since she's a starring character in the series as well. I imagine that May will probably have a confirmed ship too near the end, since her story kind of is shoujo-ish.

Power Shot
16th January 2006, 6:31 PM
I really don't think shipping will actually happen for one reason: the writers are scared to try it now. They may put in some reference that fans will eat up from their shipping alliance, but it really can't happen because of the fact that so many people want their ship to win in the end that actually trying a ship would cause other fans to feel left out, thus alienating half the audience whos ship was canned.

In short, it can't happen solely because their is money in the franchise, and no person will take a step if it will destroy half the people who do watch the show. It would be nice to finally see some character development between the cast, but it won't be happening. Brock is the only person I can see being in a ship, but it won't be with a member of the cast.

This rant was brought to you by Power Shot.

Shego
16th January 2006, 7:16 PM
I really don't think shipping will actually happen for one reason: the writers are scared to try it now. They may put in some reference that fans will eat up from their shipping alliance, but it really can't happen because of the fact that so many people want their ship to win in the end that actually trying a ship would cause other fans to feel left out, thus alienating half the audience whos ship was canned.

In short, it can't happen solely because their is money in the franchise, and no person will take a step if it will destroy half the people who do watch the show. It would be nice to finally see some character development between the cast, but it won't be happening. Brock is the only person I can see being in a ship, but it won't be with a member of the cast.

This rant was brought to you by Power Shot.

You may be right about that. The some shippings cannot be easily occured in the show because there many fans out there. It's all about more than just votes. Don't you think so?

CyberCubed
16th January 2006, 7:34 PM
But you're all assuming that the writers actually care what shippings the fans like. :p

Honestly it's THEIR show. THEY decide who they're doing to pair up, they don't have to listen to the fans.

If some elitist shippers throw a whiny fit that their favorite pairing is disproved by the writers, then it's their tough luck. The writers are the ones who decide, they don't have to play second fiddle to a bunch of people on a message board.

intergalactic platypus
16th January 2006, 9:26 PM
What about Jessie and James? They've had pretty cannon moments throughout the 1st season. Does anyone remember Holy Matrimony or the moment when James called his friend "Jessica?" They're like a real couple.
www.pokemopolis.net ;)
On topic, the writers do have to listen to the fans. Ratings will drop if the fans really dislike a move they make. Any show is bound by ratings, particularly a show like pokemon thats not bound by artistic value but by advertising and ratings. This isn't 6 Feet Under

The Red Butterfly
16th January 2006, 9:32 PM
Ok for one thing I want to say I get the dubbed american ones and the audience for it is generally young so I HIGHLY DOUBT there gonna put in any ship in the show since the parents of the young fans might find it "inappropiate" also for another thing the writers probably don't want to get all involved with a certain ship that they lose focus on what the show is actually about: a kid trying to becaome a pokemon master no matter what it takes!!!(So since Ash is a main character they probably don't want to lose focus on him so maybe Brock might have a girl but they'll probably hardly ever bring it up figuring the show revolves around Ash!!)

CyberCubed
16th January 2006, 9:36 PM
On topic, the writers do have to listen to the fans. Ratings will drop if the fans really dislike a move they make. Any show is bound by ratings, particularly a show like pokemon thats not bound by artistic value but by advertising and ratings.

Oh I dunno about that. If the writers can get rid of Misty who was a fan favorite and who was a main character since the beginning, they can surely write any ship they want.

When the writers got rid of Misty they took a huge risk with the ratings, but what happened? AG was a complete success, and the show is doing so well that the writers decided to not bring Misty back afterward, since they don't need her anymore.

As long as the ship has a decent fanbase, any main character ship is fair game.

cold_katanagirl
16th January 2006, 9:51 PM
www.pokemopolis.net ;)
On topic, the writers do have to listen to the fans. Ratings will drop if the fans really dislike a move they make. Any show is bound by ratings, particularly a show like pokemon thats not bound by artistic value but by advertising and ratings. This isn't 6 Feet UnderThe writers don't have to do anything except for what they want.

I'm sure when they write they take the fans wants into consideration, but they don't necessarily have to do everything the fans want them to. Ditching Misty so long seemed like a huge risk, but it doesn't seem to have made the ratings drop dramatically or anything of the sort (watch someone prove me wrong XD).

Heracross
16th January 2006, 9:54 PM
I'm afraid as far as Advanced Generation is concerned, Rocketshipping is dead in the water. Clearly the current writers have little interest in what was set up in the first season, and have in fact been making a conscious effort to steer away from that path. I don't even remember the last time the two of them shared a hug - a common occurrence in days of old.

Not that I'm worried though. The writers can do what they wish and I'll still like the ship.

Power Shot
16th January 2006, 10:11 PM
Well, they also took a chance replacing Brock didn't they? They were probably doing the same thing with Misty as they did with Brock, but that worked out. Honestly, I thought ever since they removed Brock for part of the series that they would eventually get rid of Misty for a while.

Writers base their ideas on the ratings of the show, so if they cast a ship in any episode, fans will react. If they did AdvanceShipping, finally taking a chance at something new, the ContestShippers, PokeShippers, ect. would all act against it, and thus the show would lose veiwers.

Anyone hoping for a gay or lesbian relation in the anime knows it won't happen, because writers are terified of offending anyone, and it's the same thing here. Not that it wouldn't be nice to finally see something like shipping happen, but it just won't.

The writers just don't want to take the chance, and that's why for almost eight or something years now, nothing has changed in the anime save for location and cast, and everyone knows it. Replacing Misty wasn't as bold a move as you'd think, they had already done it with Brock. They can't take out Ash, so they had to settle for someone else, trying to make things new. A way to make the old thing we've already seen seem a little new.

cold_katanagirl
16th January 2006, 10:20 PM
The writers just don't want to take the chance, and that's why for almost eight or something years now, nothing has changed in the anime save for location and cast, and everyone knows it. Replacing Misty wasn't as bold a move as you'd think, they had already done it with Brock. They can't take out Ash, so they had to settle for someone else, trying to make things new. A way to make the old thing we've already seen seem a little new.Brock leaving was a horrible mistake. Trying it again with another character seemed pretty risky to me.

If hardcore shippers were so relevant to the fanbase, you'd think the show would have been cancelled by now. =/

Hakajin
17th January 2006, 5:32 AM
Shipping wouldn't be anything inappropriate though. If the writers leave it out, it's because they just don't want romance in the show. But I mean, most Disney movies have romance, can't get much more innocent than that. I don't think parents would object.

Valkyrie X
17th January 2006, 5:38 AM
Meh. I really don't think shipping will happen in the anime, much less dating. I'm sorry, but I just can't see the writers doing something like that. =/ I would be quite surprised (but not in a bad way) if shipping really did occur, but to me, it's very unlikely.

;381;SD;380;

Encyclopika
17th January 2006, 10:20 PM
I agree with the others in saying that the writers can do what they want. IMO, not watching a show because *said shipping* didn't work out is n00by and incredibly immature. >.> Just because the show didn't work out in that area, doesn't mean it's other areas arn't interesting - especially when the show is not a romance.
That's what I really hate about a lot of fanbases for ships, and not just that, but in all areas of the show, like a lead Pokemon evolving, for example. When something doesn't go their way, they complain, b*tch and moan about it, but most of them bounce back. And that's why the writers arn't "scared" to do anything. If you're a hard core veiwer, you won't let one little thing like a shipping bring you down enough to completely stop watching the show. Besides, even if your ship does sink, shipping has the amazing ability to not die because there are alternatives - fanfiction! ^^ So it didn't work in the show...go AU!

The writers just don't want to take the chance, and that's why for almost eight or something years now, nothing has changed in the anime save for location and cast, and everyone knows it. Replacing Misty wasn't as bold a move as you'd think, they had already done it with Brock. They can't take out Ash, so they had to settle for someone else, trying to make things new. A way to make the old thing we've already seen seem a little new.
How scared could the writers be if they sunk a ship...no...and oil tanker like Pokeshipping by taking Misty out of the loop? That had to be the boldest move I've ever seen. You know, considering they're shaking in their boots. ;)

Orion-Sama
18th January 2006, 1:53 AM
I doubt it'll happen. Someone once said the show was about the Pokémon, not the Trainers... :)

Ohh well... if it does happen, then good. No matter what it is. I doubt it will ever happen, though...

Crystal Clair
18th January 2006, 2:19 AM
I'm afraid as far as Advanced Generation is concerned, Rocketshipping is dead in the water.
Everything is dead with Jessie and James. They're just two dull "evil" people who do the same thing every episode. Besides, if you really think about it, maybe RocketShipping is happening right now. Wasn't this the kind of relationship Jessie wanted? She's not for some girly romance like that, she's more hardened and cold.
Dont get me wrong, I'm no RocketShipper (or maybe I am), I just stand up for the ships that I know will happen or have the chance of happening.

Hakajin
18th January 2006, 5:42 AM
If you're a hard core veiwer, you won't let one little thing like a shipping bring you down enough to completely stop watching the show. Besides, even if your ship does sink, shipping has the amazing ability to not die because there are alternatives - fanfiction! ^^ So it didn't work in the show...go AU!

I strongly disagree. It's something impossible to imagine if you've never experienced it, but when something happens against your ship, it can be very distressing. Watching the show after Misty was taken off used to make me depressed for the rest of the day every time. Sad, I know, but it's true. AU, while I often indulge in it, doesn't help me much. I know it doesn't matter because it's not real, but for some reason, I can't get past what the writers say. That's the reality of Pokemon for me, and I can't get past it.

So anyway, Rocketshipping. Jessie and James are mostly for comic relief, and I can't see them getting seriously romantic, but I also couldn't imagine them with anyone else. So while I don't see the ship happening on the show, I think it's safe to assume that they stick together anyway.