PDA

View Full Version : Pokémon Movies, and how they tie into the anime

Esroc
16th January 2006, 6:03 PM
I've been rummaging around the internet trying to pinpoint the best locations for each of the movies. They don't seem to really stick to the anime well, so it's all mostly speculation and I don't think it's possible to pinpoint them directly after a certain episode. But this is as close as I've been able to get. So far I've come up with this:

The Origin of Mewtwo takes place before the anime even began.

The First Movie "Mewtwo Strikes Back" takes place both before, during and after the Indigo League episode "Showdown at the Poké Corral". With the begining of the movie taking place before the episode, and during the episode, then the bulk of the rest of the movie taking place after that episode.

Pokémon The Movie 2000 takes place after the orange island episode "Mandarin Island Mis-Match"

The Third Movie "Spell of the Unown" seems to take place after the johto journeys episode "Fowl Play" but before the later episode "A Dairy Tale Ending". The movie could take place anywhere during these two episodes, and I'll try later on to pin-point it even further.

The movie special "Mewtwo Returns" takes place after johto journeys episode "Ariados, Amigos"

Pokémon 4-Ever Celebi Voice of the Forest takes place after the johto episode "Kecleon Caper"

Pokémon Heroes Latias and Latios takes place after the episode "Why, Wynaut?" (I'm not sure if that's a johto episode or a Hoenn)

As for Jirachi Wishmaker and Destiny Deoxys, for all intents and purposes it seems these movies are pulling a Dragonball Z and don't take place within' the anime at all, and rather some alternate universe. I can't seem to put them anywhere convincing. Though later, I'll try to slip them in somewhere where they will make sense, even though that may not be where they need to be.

If anyone feels that any of this info is wrong, feel free to post and tell me what I can fix. ;239;

CyberCubed
16th January 2006, 6:40 PM
Why can't you fit the 6th and 7th movie into the timeline? What makes them seem like they're in an alternate universe?

The 6th movie could take place right after "Now that's Flower Power" as the same fireworks are set up by Mr. Big that the carnival uses later on.

I think it's fairly obvious that the movies take place between which episodes they debuted in Japan.

Just like the Rukario movie takes place after the Mt. Moon episode but before the Noland ep.

As for the 7th movie, what is there that disproves it?

Esroc
16th January 2006, 6:43 PM
I'm simply going by what I've found sifting through episode lists and summaries on various websites, and thusfar I haven't found a single one that mentions anything about those two movies taking place anywhere. That's all I mean by that. But thanks for giving me some idea of where they may be.

MaskedManAbsolkid
21st January 2006, 11:41 AM
I think Movie 7 takes place after 'Watts with Wattson?', but you can always check the pokemon the gang have in the films, see when they were captured, and find the next episode where a pokemon is caught.

Chris
21st January 2006, 5:25 PM
I think Movie 7 takes place after 'Watts with Wattson?', but you can always check the pokemon the gang have in the films, see when they were captured, and find the next episode where a pokemon is caught.
That's WAY too early. o_O That's an impossible thing, considering the Pokémon he has in the movie.

And as far as I'm concerned all movies but the first and second are similar to Dragon Ball movies. They borrow elements from the show, but they don't take place in any specific time nor do the episodes mention anything about them.

So far, all we have confirmed is that the second movie's events are mentioned in the TV series, while it's plainly obvious that the first movie's events occured from the starting point of certain episodes.

Before anyone gets on the case regarding the fourth movie, the Suikun Satoshi mentions was the one he saw in the first Jouto episode. Not the movie. :s

Gravy
21st January 2006, 5:31 PM
I just see them as more epic, legendary ridden filler episodes myself. All the settings tend to be random places that nobody has ever heard of and they fit in with the animé story perfectly fine without effecting it, but by the end everyone seems to forget the action because they've set their concentration onto something else~

Just like "A Ruin With a View"! And "Absol-ute Disaster"! And "Beg, Burrow and Steal"! And.....etc.

CyberCubed
21st January 2006, 5:45 PM
Agreed. And the writers do kinda put in continuity with the legends when they want to, such as Ash and Brock knowing what a Celebi was in the Ranger episode and May and Max did not.

Hidden Mew
22nd January 2006, 3:25 AM
In the first epsiode of Johto, Ash did see Suicune, but I thought that he didn't know that it was Suicune and he didn't really "meet" it. That is just what I thought. The whole idea that the 6th and 7th movies were in a alternate universe is a too odd for me. They don't really mention anything from the movies because they're focusing on the next part of their journey, such as the next gym, the next contest, etc. The times where the movies are somewhat mention is just because it fits in for whatever is going on in the show.

Kanto Trio
23rd January 2006, 2:48 AM
One of the scenes in "Mewtwo Strikes Back" was from the episode "The Battle of the Badge" becasue that scene did show Gary facing Giovanni's Mewtwo. Also, the scene where Mewtwo escapes form Giovanni's headquarters in "Showdown at the Poke Corral" is also in the first movie.

MaskedManAbsolkid
23rd January 2006, 4:04 PM
That's WAY too early. o_O That's an impossible thing, considering the Pokémon he has in the movie.

I'm talking about the Wattson rematch. I've never seen the movie, but it was predicted to be near Mauville (the river between Mauville and the other side near Fortree)

cyberduelistzane
23rd January 2006, 4:30 PM
I've been rummaging around the internet trying to pinpoint the best locations for each of the movies. They don't seem to really stick to the anime well, so it's all mostly speculation and I don't think it's possible to pinpoint them directly after a certain episode. But this is as close as I've been able to get. So far I've come up with this:

The Origin of Mewtwo takes place before the anime even began.

The First Movie "Mewtwo Strikes Back" takes place both before, during and after the Indigo League episode "Showdown at the Poké Corral". With the begining of the movie taking place before the episode, and during the episode, then the bulk of the rest of the movie taking place after that episode.

Pokémon The Movie 2000 takes place after the orange island episode "Mandarin Island Mis-Match"

The Third Movie "Spell of the Unown" seems to take place after the johto journeys episode "Fowl Play" but before the later episode "A Dairy Tale Ending". The movie could take place anywhere during these two episodes, and I'll try later on to pin-point it even further.

The movie special "Mewtwo Returns" takes place after johto journeys episode "Ariados, Amigos"

Pokémon 4-Ever Celebi Voice of the Forest takes place after the johto episode "Kecleon Caper"

Pokémon Heroes Latias and Latios takes place after the episode "Why, Wynaut?" (I'm not sure if that's a johto episode or a Hoenn)

As for Jirachi Wishmaker and Destiny Deoxys, for all intents and purposes it seems these movies are pulling a Dragonball Z and don't take place within' the anime at all, and rather some alternate universe. I can't seem to put them anywhere convincing. Though later, I'll try to slip them in somewhere where they will make sense, even though that may not be where they need to be.

If anyone feels that any of this info is wrong, feel free to post and tell me what I can fix. ;239;

i think that destiny deoxys takes place after the advanced challenge episode "a shroomish skirmish" sime mays torchic evolved

ESE
24th January 2006, 3:58 AM
And as far as I'm concerned all movies but the first and second are similar to Dragon Ball movies. They borrow elements from the show, but they don't take place in any specific time nor do the episodes mention anything about them.
That's a stupid way to think about continuity. Just because these events of the movies weren't mentioned, it doesn't mean that these movies aren't part of the storyline :o

Lil Brother
24th January 2006, 4:05 AM
I think it's fairly obvious that the movies take place between which episodes they debuted in Japan.Yep. Cyber for the win.

Chris
24th January 2006, 6:42 PM
That's a stupid way to think about continuity. Just because these events of the movies weren't mentioned, it doesn't mean that these movies aren't part of the storyline :o
If they're not mentioned, then you can't say that they a continuity since a number of anime are well known for having movies that don't follow the storyline. o_O Because of that, you can't say it's a continuity with a lack of evidence.

ESE
25th January 2006, 5:38 AM
Already it is known that the 1st movie is canon, and the second and the Celebi movies were mentioned too, so if the other aren't, I don't see why they would choose random movies to be canon. And in the Pokémon anime, every story created fits in it thus far, even the special with Kenta and Marina (as was proved when Jackson appeared in the Johto League), so the movies are more likely to be canon too.
My point is that while there isn't proof that ALL the movies are canon, is more likely that they are.

Chris
25th January 2006, 5:56 AM
That's because that was a TV special, not a movie. >_> Of course some TV specials will be canon.

CyberCubed
25th January 2006, 5:59 AM
Well of course they're not going to mention their past adventures in EVERY movie, heck the characters rarely remember past events that happened in episodes.

When was the last time Ash said that he saved the world during "The Ancient Puzzle of Pokemopolis" episode with the giant Gengar and Alakazam? When was the last time the huge Team Aqua/Magma Groudon/Kyorge scuffle was referenced?

They weren't. Just like Ash and co don't ever state the events of the Groudon/Kyorge 2 parter in later episodes, they're not going to constantly state their events with other legendary Pokemon either.

ESE
25th January 2006, 7:19 AM
The movies of DBZ aren't canon because they showed stories that don't fit in the storyline. They show the characters fighting and defeating villains that already were defeated and destroyed in the anime, so they movies only were there to show stories of a alternate universe. The Pokémon movies are different because they fit perfectly in the continuity, and their stories are based in legendary Pokémons that didn't appear in the anime (or that appeared only as a cameo, whereas the DBZ movies show the villains that already were killed in the anime storyline), and the stories don't contradict the anime storyline. So the Pokémon movies are sort of sidestories. You dont need to watch them to understand the storyline, but they are part of it. That's the way that I see them.

Well of course they're not going to mention their past adventures in EVERY movie, heck the characters rarely remember past events that happened in episodes.

When was the last time Ash said that he saved the world during "The Ancient Puzzle of Pokemopolis" episode with the giant Gengar and Alakazam? When was the last time the huge Team Aqua/Magma Groudon/Kyorge scuffle was referenced?

They weren't. Just like Ash and co don't ever state the events of the Groudon/Kyorge 2 parter in later episodes, they're not going to constantly state their events with other legendary Pokemon either.
Thanks, CyberCubed.

charmander04
10th February 2006, 1:48 PM
For Jirachi wishmaker I say it took place between A Mudkip Misson and Seeing is Beleving. Because In the Pokemon Short Brock has Mudkip but also we wouldv'e seen Jessies Dustox.