PDA

View Full Version : Names of Nature

Evan Turner
17th January 2006, 8:39 AM
I am writing a fic (see sig), and I've decided to use nature names for reasons I choose to leave unknown. But, I only know the name for the Earth, Gaia. I was wondering if anyone, by chance, new what the names for the Sea and the Sky, if there are any. Thank you, and have a good day.

Smuggler

Yami Ryu
17th January 2006, 8:42 AM
I thought Terra Firma or whatever it was, was the name for earth, and Gaia was the name of a Goddess of the earth O.o if that's what you're looking for, you could try BehindTheName.com, it's an awesome name source when you need to find a name for some specifics you want, or just need some random thing o.o

Evan Turner
17th January 2006, 8:56 AM
Thanks! That's just what I'm looking for! Well, off to go write some more!

Smuggler

Kyle of Pallet
20th January 2006, 11:18 PM
If you were looking at Greek mythology, here are the names:

Gaia- Earth
Uranus- Sky
Oceanus- Sea

And a few others

Cronus- Time
Atlas- Mountain (Titan that held the weight of the sky on his shoulders)

dude
20th January 2006, 11:23 PM
i thought apollos was for the sea but what do i know about greek or anything like that

Seijiro Mafuné
20th January 2006, 11:40 PM
Apollo's the Sun.

Elemental Charizam
20th January 2006, 11:54 PM
Greek Titans:
Gaia- Earth/Nature
Oranos- Sky
Oceanus- Sea
Kronos - Time (its affects on living things)
Helios - Sun

They were essentially forces of nature... Or the avatars of these forces, so they could work. Maybe Atlas as Gravity? Could work...

Kthleen
21st January 2006, 12:08 AM
Kronos - Time (its affects on living things)Chronos, or even Khronos (the original Greek spelling), but not Kronos. Kronos is Cronus, Zeus's Titan dad. Khronos is Chronos, the personification of time.

Elemental Charizam
21st January 2006, 2:50 PM
I thought Zeus' dad WAS the personification of time o.o What WAS Kronos the personification of, then?

*takes out notepaper*

Kthleen
21st January 2006, 7:56 PM
From what I can tell, Kronos was a Titan who was worshipped as a god of agriculture. His parents were Gaia and Uranus; he overthrew Uranus, but later was overthrown by Zeus and banished to Tartarus. Khronos is the personification of time who came from "primordial chaos." There was a game called Age of Mythology where it was all mixed up, though (where Kronos=Titan of Time).

Teh (http://opera.answers.com/Cronus) infos (http://opera.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Chronos&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1)

Elemental Charizam
21st January 2006, 8:07 PM
Oh, I see! I haven't read much about the titans apart from Prometheus and Atlas. In the book I read, Kronos and Cronus were confused >>;

So erm, don't pay attention to that part of my post.

Kthleen
21st January 2006, 8:23 PM
Kronos is Cronos is Cronus.
Khronos is Chronos is Chronus.

Just remember that the ones with the h are Time and the ones without it are Zeus' father. Think of the word "chronometer" ("time measurer"), and it'll be easier.

Kiyohime
21st January 2006, 11:39 PM
Helios is the god of the sun. A heliosphere is the magnetic bubble holding our solar system, solar winds, and so on.

Elemental Charizam
21st January 2006, 11:44 PM
Or if we go by Norse mythology, Thor kinda was, because he pulled the sun along in his boar chariot. Or Ra/Amon-Ra in Egyptian mythology, and so on. And in Greek mythology, the god of the sun was Apollo. There are hundreds out there...

And I shall remember that drom now on Kthleen...

Kthleen
22nd January 2006, 12:13 AM
Scrap is right. The god of the sun is Helios. Apollo is associated with light (along with prophesy, healing/medicine, and poetry/music), but although he is often associated with the sun, it is Helios that is the sun god. Oddly enough, Apollo too is often confused/mixed with someone else (obviously Helios).

Yays! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo)

Elemental Charizam
22nd January 2006, 12:29 AM
But Helios wasn't a god, he was a Titan :P

That's why I mentioned him after Helios... But if he's only the god of light, then it doesn't quite work. I mean, you could use him as the force of the sun using artistic license, but there really isn't much point. I really should read up more on Greek mythology...

Kthleen
22nd January 2006, 12:39 AM
Hyperion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_(mythology)) is the Titan and Helios' dad. :D