PDA

View Full Version : Naruto #20 "A New Chapter Begins: The Chunin Exam!" Review Thread

Kazekage
20th January 2006, 11:48 PM
well this is awseome all the important characters we'll see all the best charecters * itatchi and gaara neji rock lee orichamaru fifth hokage jiyra*

Little_Pikachu
21st January 2006, 12:27 AM
Hm... You're not seeing Itachi for another 50 or so episodes and the fifth hokage until the early 80's, episodes which haven't been bought yet, so don't get ahead of yourself :)

I'm looking forward to seeing how the new key characters have been casted though, I'm particularly looking forward to hearing Gaara and Lee, their personalities are totally reflected in their voices, so this has to be done well!

Dogasu
21st January 2006, 1:15 AM
naruto #20-enter the knew chapter-chuunin exam

God, at least PRETEND to have a basic grasp on the English language.

Haruka's Swimsuit
21st January 2006, 1:51 AM
well this is awseome all the important characters we'll see all the best charecters * itatchi and gaara neji rock lee orichamaru fifth hokage jiyra*

I'm only watching to see Temari-sama...

Laz-E-Boy
21st January 2006, 2:59 AM

*looks at spoiler*
*looks at all the spelling*

What the HELL are you talking about?!

Kanadian Kyuubi
21st January 2006, 3:11 AM
Time to change the opening to a real one:

Gaara, Neji, and Temari? Oh my! The Chunnin Exams have begun, and it's time to meet some new Ninja Friends! But, will this overshadow the return of Team 7 from their date with destiny on The Great Naruto Bridge? Meet new rivals, Kakashi's Dog friend, and a useless squirrel, this week on Naruto!

edit: Pretty intresting comedy episode, full review tommorow morning!

Kanadian Kyuubi
21st January 2006, 2:44 PM
I'd like to say sorry for double posting, but here she is!

YAY! YAY! YAY! New Arc Time! Although only the final 2 minutes passed this judgement, the new arc has just begun, welcome to the Chunnin Exams!

Okay, first big surprise of this arc, Naruto goes Spongebob!

I'm Ready!
Oh snap, I was just waiting for the day he'd say that!

So, Sauske and Naruto are rivals, now that's something I just don't get, until the fire-eyes scene! I thought the Sauske vs. Naruto thing wasn't for a little while! But then.....a square rock? Konohamaru, maybe you should have hidden yourself and friends under a brick! This was pretty funny, as this is actually the first time I've seen the little guy (I started watching at "Pass or Fail: Survival Test"), the whole Konohamaru Ninja Squad was one of the funnier moments of the day, it was one of the most enjoyable scenes of the whole episode...and scary Sakura...:eek: >:anime: Well, the triumphent return of Inner Sakura!!! Yipee!

But, now, oooh! We've got some new guys and gals! Let's see what I could make it, some dudes from the Land of Wind, some new Hidden Leaf Village guys, Ino, Chouji (Eating chips as his chubby self, wearing Pantyhose), Kiba's Team, and Gaara!!!!!!!!!!*10 minutes later*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They really did Gaara pretty good, he sounds cool! He kinda sounds like Sauske a little, but the first of the Hidden Sand guys to make his debut has to sound good!

Pretty much, this was a Comedy episode, a part of one of the cliches of Anime: Returning home after a major event for a comedy episode back at home.

10/10

Next Week: Identity Yourself: Powerful New Rivals!
You thought we were done with the new guys? We've got more next week, as Rock Lee and friends make their first appearance, along with a useless filler squirrel!

Rex Kamex
21st January 2006, 2:56 PM
I posted this in the thread for the last episode.

There was a new commercial of Naruto and Zatch Bell that included a line from Kankurou: "You're annoying- all of you." That particular line, at least, had a deep-sounding voice, but I'm not going to judge it because I only heard one line. (At least it's better than Naruto's "What is this-" line.)

About that, for those of you who have seen the episode, did Kankurou speak in this tone throughout the whole episode? I highly doubt it, but I was just wondering.

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix
22nd January 2006, 3:40 AM
WHERE THE HELL HAVE I HEARD KANKURO'S VA BEFORE? (Can ANYoNE tell me?)
Temari sounded good, That one teacher, Hinata's, was the Major from Ghost In The Shell ( I love that voice, I'd never mistake it). Gaara was awsome, and those missions were helarious. I'm still looking forward to [SPOIL]Kabuto's[/SPIOL] Voice though.

Ralts Master
22nd January 2006, 3:51 AM
Gaara- very good.
Kankuro- Good
Temari- a bit iffy, but still pretty good
Kurenai- instant win.

Pika Hikari KT
22nd January 2006, 3:54 AM
-Poor Sakura, she admits she's useless.:( And gets insulted twofold by her crush to boot. I know in several episodes she gets it on with her rival(minds outta the gutters, boys), but until then does she do anything remotely useful in the upcoming exam?:p

-Konohamaru-chan~!:D Creepy friends, though(especially the girl). I immediately knew it was him when the box showed up.;)

-So this is the one they call...Gaara.(Lightning: Unintentional Stinger refrence FTW!) Pretty cool coming out of nowhere(and on the side of the tree to boot), but I have yet to see him in action, so I reserve judgment on him until later.:/

-Naruto is the root of everyone's anger probs, isn't he?:p Poor guy...

Skiks
22nd January 2006, 3:54 AM
w00t Temari showed up and her VA is not half bad at all. Now I must hear more of shikamaru's voice. =0 Gaara was great as well he came out like the mysterious guy everyone wanted.

Ralts Master
22nd January 2006, 3:57 AM
but until then does she do anything remotely useful in the upcoming exam?
Sort of. She buys some time in the second part of the test, but the way she does it would be badass were it not so pathetic...

22nd January 2006, 4:06 AM
Upcomming Title Reveled:

Energy 120%: A Modern and Rocking Challenge!

Kabuto
22nd January 2006, 4:15 AM
Funny episode. I liked how Sakura got furious at Naruto when he said she liked him and at Konohamaru when he said her forehead was big. I believe she was talking to herself about her forehead being too big in episode 3. The new characters were good I wonder who they are and what they want.

MarcmenX
22nd January 2006, 4:19 AM
I liked the ep... Temari's voice may not be that great, but it's still pretty good (I personally thought her voice was sexy >.>)

Kankuro's voice wasn't bad... I was expecting a deeper voice, but this voice wasn't bad either. Gaara's voice was cool, I really liked it

I await hearing Rock Lee and Gai's voice... hope they're good too!

Toran Frostbite
22nd January 2006, 4:55 AM
WHERE THE HELL HAVE I HEARD KANKURO'S VA BEFORE? (Can ANYoNE tell me?)

If you watched Digimon, he's Joe. Kankuro's VA is a man named Michael Lindsey. Gaara...*hearts* Liam O'Brien still rocks my socks with his monotone voice.

MugenKeiji
22nd January 2006, 7:56 AM
Shobu Kirifuda (not the Joshua Seth one who played Taichi on Digimon, I'm referring to Liam O'Brien from the USA made 2nd season...God please don't let any idiots mix this up...) plays Gaara. Need to hear more lines to pass judgment.

Temari sounds EXACTLY how I imagined her dub voice to sound...like Jessie Gurtland from Battle Athletess, only that was Marie Downing. Tara Platt plays Temari, she's quite a piece...which isn't said for a lot of voiceover ladies.

Kankuro's voice is a little too high pitched for my tastes. Sure he sounds more like a 15 year old instead of a 33 year old midget. It may take some getting used to. I don't like it, but I don't hate it either. It's just different.

Moegi's voice is just like the Japanese version: TORTURE ON THE EARS!

I don't quite much care for Udon to begin with.

Maile's getting better and better as Naruto, BELIEVE IT!

~Meitantei Starlight*~
22nd January 2006, 2:15 PM
Meh, yesterday's episode was one of my faves, and yet the dub kinda annoyed me >>

The biggest fact was that they had changed so many lines, and I happened to know almost all of them, being that my fave ep and me watching the original a lot on my free time. The biggest change I had noticed was when Sasuke was walking away from Naruto. He said something along the lines like this (in the dub):

Naruto: You always think you're better than everybody else, Sasuke!

Sasuke: No. Just you. Unless you want to prove me otherwise.

and in the original he said things completly different o.O;;

Naurto: Yeah you're always ruining our teamwork, Sasuke! Hogging all the spotlight!

Sasuke: That's you, moron. If you want me to stop making you look bad...*turns around* Than just become strong than me.

I *really* think they completly ruined that moment in the dub. Really. - -;;;

About the other edits, they were all expect. Blood, cussing, etc. (*cough* Konohamaru calling Sakura an ugly b!tch...XD)

Moegi's voice sounding about right to me, but they took something out of Udon's voice that just doesn't seem right to me now >.>

Gaara's voice rocked though XD the first time I heard I was all like: 'Oh shizznot that's Gaara's voice?! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE' XD Kankuro's voice kinda annoyed me though. It's just way to high in the dub >.> His original is much better, with it being deep and all in there X3

THEY MADE TEMARI SOUND LIKE A PREP!!!!!111111111 *coughcough* >__> Sorry, just had to fit that in XD

And so, about one or two eps later I think we get to meet Lee and Gai-sensei and umm...Kiba I think.

YoshiAngemon
22nd January 2006, 3:21 PM
Well, knowing Sakura is "The Worst Ninja" kinda makes me think of Mildred Hubble from "The Worst Witch." Any of you remember that movie? The Worst Witch? Huh? If you all think she's the worst ninja, then just wait until Ino uses her Spirit Switch Jutsu (possible dub name) on Sakura! INNER SAKURA WILL COME OUT, CHA!!!

~Meitantei Starlight*~
22nd January 2006, 3:23 PM
Oh, and that reminds me. On the rock when it said that she was below Naruto, under the text was the words 'hell no' and they changed it to 'cha' XDD But why? The thing is rated pg already ;_; They change too much >.> But I know I shouldn't be saying that because look at 4kids XD And I thought it tranlslated to the 'mind control justu' or something like that.

Rex Kamex
22nd January 2006, 8:37 PM
Upcomming Title Reveled:

Where'd you get that? For episode #22, Cartoon Network has

EPISODE #022: "Chunin Challenge: Rock Lee vs. Sasuke!"

Or were you talking about the title for a different episode?

Kazekage
22nd January 2006, 8:47 PM
Gaara:kankaru stop it you disgrace our village
kankaru:g-g-gaara i didnt see you there
sasuke:how did he get there so smoothly even kakashi would have a hard time with that

now that was the coolest part of he show it really demonstrated gaara personality and his title as the most powerful ninja in the wind country

22nd January 2006, 8:51 PM
Where'd you get that? For episode #22, Cartoon Network has

EPISODE #022: "Chunin Challenge: Rock Lee vs. Sasuke!"

Or were you talking about the title for a different episode?
Well, I got it from ANN, It has 022. 120% Spirited! Rocking Challenge Right Now!

I think the CN one sounds more right

MachopGirl
22nd January 2006, 10:37 PM
Yep saw the current episode. I had to say, Kankuro, Temari, and Gaara doesn't sound that bad. I expected Kankuro to have a gruffer voice, but hey he's a teen after all. Gaara's voice really suits him; he should sound very sinister.

Sakura's Exorist head turning thingy is pretty freaky though. :D After seeing how many times she beaten up Naruto, I am not regretting the Pokemon I had chosen to morph with her.

YoshiAngemon
23rd January 2006, 1:02 AM
Well, if anything regarding Sasuke's Anti-Relationship attitude, I think he'd need a well-deserved nosebleed! And one way for that to happen would be if Naruto and Sakura were to work together, by doing a Sexy Jutsu, and Sakura would end up becoming naked, and Naruto would become a naked Sakura, just to freak Sasuke out, or learn a harsh lesson!

Skiks
23rd January 2006, 2:35 AM
Well, if anything regarding Sasuke's Anti-Relationship attitude, I think he'd need a well-deserved nosebleed! And one way for that to happen would be if Naruto and Sakura were to work together, by doing a Sexy Jutsu, and Sakura would end up becoming naked, and Naruto would become a naked Sakura, just to freak Sasuke out, or learn a harsh lesson!
Don't you know sasuke like men?
<<
>>
Kidding but who really know sasuke's sexuality anyways? I don't think seeing a flat chested girl naked would make him nosebleed.

Rex Kamex
23rd January 2006, 4:17 AM
I don't think any type of chested girl would give him a nosebleed. 'Cause Sasuke's not that kind of guy. :p

Ralts Master
23rd January 2006, 4:31 AM
I don't know how he intends to revive his clan, then...

MugenKeiji
23rd January 2006, 6:59 AM
Meh, yesterday's episode was one of my faves, and yet the dub kinda annoyed me >>

and in the original he said things completly different o.O;;

Naurto: Yeah you're always ruining our teamwork, Sasuke! Hogging all the spotlight!

Sasuke: That's you, moron. If you want me to stop making you look bad...*turns around* Than just become strong than me.

I *really* think they completly ruined that moment in the dub. Really. - -;;;

Are you daft? That's practically the same meaning!

Sure it's not word for word but they didn't change the meaning of that scene.

Oh boo hoo, Sasuke didn't say everything that AnimeOne/ANBU/Dattebayo wrote, NOW SEENE ROOINED BIGG PHAIL111!!

I don't mean to climb on a pedestal but this is one of the reasons why I look down on people...

Rex Kamex
23rd January 2006, 2:28 PM
I don't know how he intends to revive his clan, then...

Without getting a nosebleed. Sasuke can revive his clan with a girl without getting a nosebleed.

About the episode, I didn't really have trouble with Kankurou's voice. Temari's sounded sort of like she was a woman (I was hoping for her to sound like Rika from Digimon, but that's just me), and Gaara's voice was deeper than I expected. It still did have that mysterious creepy tone, so I don't care. (By the way, this is coming from someone who's never seen a Japanese episode of Naruto in his life.)

~Meitantei Starlight*~
23rd January 2006, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Mugenkeiji
Are you daft? That's practically the same meaning!

Sure it's not word for word but they didn't change the meaning of that scene.

Oh boo hoo, Sasuke didn't say everything that AnimeOne/ANBU/Dattebayo wrote, NOW SEENE ROOINED BIGG PHAIL111!!

I don't mean to climb on a pedestal but this is one of the reasons why I look down on people...

Um..wha?

Look you're the one getting on my case just because I think it's not the same. I think. Now lemme say that so you get it through your thick skull.

I THINK.

There ya go. IMO It's not the same meaning. In the dub it sounded like Sasuke said 1) he was better than Naruto and 2) made a threat (like the 'unless you want to prove me otherwise' part) Now in the orginal, Sasuke was saying more over the lines of Naruto hogging the spotlight (or responding the Naruto's comment) and that to just become stronger than him in order to beat him. Imo, they're completly different.

Think next time you call someone a daft. This is why I tend to look down on people on serebii.

MugenKeiji
24th January 2006, 2:52 AM
Um..wha?

Look you're the one getting on my case just because I think it's not the same. I think. Now lemme say that so you get it through your thick skull.

I THINK.

There ya go. IMO It's not the same meaning. In the dub it sounded like Sasuke said 1) he was better than Naruto and 2) made a threat (like the 'unless you want to prove me otherwise' part) Now in the orginal, Sasuke was saying more over the lines of Naruto hogging the spotlight (or responding the Naruto's comment) and that to just become stronger than him in order to beat him. Imo, they're completly different.

Think next time you call someone a daft. This is why I tend to look down on people on serebii.

You put emphasis on "really" not "think" meaning you're leaning more towards your opinion rather than stating it.

Also

[ENGLISH DUB:

JAPANESE:

Naruto: Yeah you're always ruining our teamwork, Sasuke! Hogging all the spotlight!]

Thinking you're superior in a team is the same as ruining teamwork. Getting the results of good performance or being expected of giving such results would mean that you get most of the credit. Case in point, animation. The character designer (director in American animation) gets most of the credit rather than the writers or a huger studio gets most of the credit for production rather than the smaller studios that do the animation (for example, if Toei owns the rights to One Piece but a studio like Telecom or Production I.G. animated a good fight, Toei still gets the credit).

In more personal relationships, one who works hard to become acknowledged but doesn't because someone else gets the recognition causes daggers to fly.

In either case, Naruto's sick of Sasuke being extolled while Naruto tries to hard but doesn't get his dues (especially from Sakura)

Hogging the spotlight is one of those "add lines" (not added dialogue mind you, I just can't find a better word for it), Naruto is making a generalization about what Sasuke's demeanor can lead to. He is not stating that hogging the spotlight is something flawed that Sasuke is doing.

ENGLISH DUB:

JAPANESE:

It's still Sasuke telling Naruto that everything he's getting riled up about is himself. It's Naruto who is ruining the teamwork or thinks he's everyone else in Sasuke's opinion, one still leads to the other.

Proving Sasuke otherwise would INVOLVE becoming stronger, more disciplined or hold some advantage over him and that's proving the kid otherwise and making him eat his words.

Do not challenge my reading skills, you will die.

Laz-E-Boy
24th January 2006, 3:17 AM
You put emphasis on "really" not "think" meaning you're leaning more towards your opinion rather than stating it.

Also

[ENGLISH DUB:

JAPANESE:

Naruto: Yeah you're always ruining our teamwork, Sasuke! Hogging all the spotlight!]

Thinking you're superior in a team is the same as ruining teamwork. Getting the results of good performance or being expected of giving such results would mean that you get most of the credit. Case in point, animation. The character designer (director in American animation) gets most of the credit rather than the writers or a huger studio gets most of the credit for production rather than the smaller studios that do the animation (for example, if Toei owns the rights to One Piece but a studio like Telecom or Production I.G. animated a good fight, Toei still gets the credit).

In more personal relationships, one who works hard to become acknowledged but doesn't because someone else gets the recognition causes daggers to fly.

In either case, Naruto's sick of Sasuke being extolled while Naruto tries to hard but doesn't get his dues (especially from Sakura)

Hogging the spotlight is one of those "add lines" (not added dialogue mind you, I just can't find a better word for it), Naruto is making a generalization about what Sasuke's demeanor can lead to. He is not stating that hogging the spotlight is something flawed that Sasuke is doing.

ENGLISH DUB:

JAPANESE:

It's still Sasuke telling Naruto that everything he's getting riled up about is himself. It's Naruto who is ruining the teamwork or thinks he's everyone else in Sasuke's opinion, one still leads to the other.

Proving Sasuke otherwise would INVOLVE becoming stronger, more disciplined or hold some advantage over him and that's proving the kid otherwise and making him eat his words.

Do not challenge my reading skills, you will die.

We have a winner.

RomanMack
24th January 2006, 3:47 AM
Now this isn't a big edit of any kind. But it is pretty odd....

You guys know that Jonin that always is seen smoking a cig (His name escapes me at the moment). Ino, Shikamaru, and Choji are in his team.

Well anyways, Viz edited his cig so it's no longer lit. They left the actual cig alone though.

It's a weird little edit, to say the least.

MarcmenX
24th January 2006, 10:58 AM
Maybe they knew how One Piece fans compalined about Sanji's lollipop, or how editting cigs can get annoying and they don't feel like editting out the entire thing...

It may be an odd edit, but it aint as bad as Sanji's Lollipop >.>

btw, looks like Rock Lee appears next episode! ALRIGHT!

but I'm having visions/dreams (I'm being serious here) of him being voiced by the same dude who voices Kanchom&#233; from Zatch Bell...

It's an eerie horrible feeling...

Kamex
29th January 2006, 10:45 PM
Now this isn't a big edit of any kind. But it is pretty odd....

You guys know that Jonin that always is seen smoking a cig (His name escapes me at the moment). Ino, Shikamaru, and Choji are in his team.

Well anyways, Viz edited his cig so it's no longer lit. They left the actual cig alone though.

It's a weird little edit, to say the least.
I suppose it's an easy way of dumbing the cig down without getting rid of it. It seems a lot like something he just threw in his mouth like a toothpick, but on the other hand, it's still obviously a cigarette.

Anyway, nice episode. I'm really late in reviewing, but meh. I don't have much to say, though, since regarding Naruto, I'm thinking of last night's episode. XD

Nice new voices. To tell you the truth, I haven't memorized many names yet. :/ I'll get used to them when they return, though.