PDA

View Full Version : Will you please?

Riva
23rd January 2006, 4:49 PM
Will everyone PLEASE stop saying Harley is a homo?! I for one don't like seeing captioned pictures of the anime saying he is and it's really getting to be old.

Sorry if I came off as rude, but this type of thing gets under my skin.

Jonouchi
23rd January 2006, 4:59 PM
How do you know he isn't?

Riva
23rd January 2006, 5:06 PM
I don't, but still, people still don't be needing to say it.

Jonouchi
23rd January 2006, 5:12 PM
It's not like anyone will even listen. There's some captions I don't like in there, but do you see me make a topic telling them to stop. Let them say what they want

Riva
23rd January 2006, 5:13 PM
My point is, it's a tired topic and I just wanted to say.

CyberCubed
23rd January 2006, 5:17 PM
Why bother not stating the truth? Saying that Harley prefers the same sex is just like saying that May has a curvy body. It's the truth.

Yamato-san
23rd January 2006, 5:50 PM
^what he said. And so long as they aren't making harsh, homophobic comments about it, I see no problem.

Blackjack Gabbiani
23rd January 2006, 10:33 PM
Wow, someone's a little bigot, aren't they?

Riva
23rd January 2006, 10:40 PM
How dare you, I'm no bigot!!! I just got sick and tired of everyone saying "Harley is gay", so there.

Blackjack Gabbiani
23rd January 2006, 10:45 PM
Mind telling us why?

And only a bigot uses phrases like "homo".

Gravy
23rd January 2006, 10:47 PM
...captioned pictures you say? Um, where exactly?

If you're talking about the picture caption thread, I don't see what you're complaining about because, not to be harsh, pretty much 85% of the captions in that thread consist of repetative drivel anyway :P

If you're on about signatures, I can't say I've noticed any stating so. And even so, its hardly as big a deal as you're making it out to be.

Momoko Lover
23rd January 2006, 10:49 PM
You're just wasting your time. One person can't change many people's feelings about an anime character or anyone for that matter.

Riva
23rd January 2006, 11:04 PM
I don't expect to. I am just saying. And I wanted to shorten the term because it seemed more polite than gay.

Blackjack Gabbiani
23rd January 2006, 11:05 PM
Uh-huh, and wound up doing the exact opposite.

You still have yet to say *why* you object.

ChaosMage
23rd January 2006, 11:24 PM
I read somewhere that Harley's mannerisms in the Japanese version include refering to males with a pronoun that only women and gay men use, referring to them as if they are females. Someone who knows Japanese can explain and understand better than me.

Yamato-san
23rd January 2006, 11:31 PM
no no, you got that mixed up. Harley's not referring to males in a feminine manner, he's referring to himself in a feminine manner. See, in English, our only forms of first-person (like "I" and "me") are indiscriminate of gender. In Japan, there are many ways of referring to yourself in first-person, even masculine and feminite ways (much like our third-persons are divided into stuff like "him" and "her"). Harley uses the first-person "atashi", a very feminite form. Aside from that, he also showcases his feminality by using the "wa" sentence particle to end several of his phrases.

Alfonso
23rd January 2006, 11:39 PM
Pokemon has never been a subtle anime. When they're trying to tell us something, they'll often by very obvious and cliched about it. If they show Harley using a camp homosexual stereotype, then they're telling us in their way that he's intended to be gay. This isn't one of those anime where it's subtle or revealed over a certain amount of time- It's quick and to the point so we 'get' what they're saying.

PDL
24th January 2006, 12:01 AM
being gay is a part of what makes Harley so damn appealing! it breaks the mold and James no longer has to be considered the "gay" one...

ハルカ and ゴンベ
24th January 2006, 12:08 AM
I Just love how the word "Homo" was being thrown around...Offensive much?

Anyway With what Cybercubed said It's just fact and when people say it it's like stating "Satoshi is a pokemon trainer"...=/

Anyways lets take the Homophobia down a notch...k? k.

Chris
24th January 2006, 12:08 AM
Some of you are confusing feminine actions with being a homosexual. o_O Way to stereotype, guys!

And since this is becoming abit of a flame war..