PDA

View Full Version : The truth, (I am correcting all the lies on Red and Blue)

Darkdata
24th January 2006, 8:44 PM
First off this is why the M glitch Exists

This is actually 2 glitches

1) You know when you talk to that old guy, it starts a battle with him catching a Pokémon? In a battle, it always shows your name, but they needed it to say 'OLD MAN' instead. Their solution was to copy your name to an unused part of memory, change it to 'OLD MAN', and then change it back when you were done talking to him. Rather than reserve 8 bytes just for this, they decided to use the bytes that determine which Pokémon should appear in the grass. This seemed a perfect solution as there's no grass there, and once you enter a map where there is, it'll load the proper Pokémon set. Except...

2) In what appears to be a mistake, the game designers made the 'edge of land/water' tiles a tile on which you can encounter Pokémon... problem here is it uses the same set as grass, not the water set. Since these maps don't have any grass in them, they didn't specify what Pokémon should be in the grass, so it stays set to what it was last. (This is why if you fly there after being in grass elsewhere, you find the same Pokémon as in that grass... even from the Safari Zone. ) What do you think happens if you fly here after talking to the old guy? Yep - your name is still in the wild Pokémon list. Since a lot of the unused Pokémon IDs are Missingno (internal IDs in this game don't correspond to their number, they're all mixed up), and it's likely that one of the letters of your name is an unused Pokémon ID, there you go. (Yes, this means the letters of your name determine what you fight... I had a list of it at one point, dunno where though. No, you can't fight Mew unfortunately, because none of the letters match his ID. But you can fight Mewtwo, the 3 legendary birds, and the 3 starters. )

Interesting side note... You know at the beginning, when you can choose from the 3 default names or enter your own? The names are laid out like this in ROM:
RED|ASH|JACK|BLUE|GARY|JOHN
| is the 'end of string' character; the game will stop printing text when it hits this. I haven't confirmed this, but it looks like when you choose a default name, it actually copies 8 letters no matter what you choose. So if you choose JACK, your name is actually 'JACK|BLU', but the game stops printing at the |. This has an effect on the Pokémon you fight as well. (Yes, your name is 8 letters; normally the 8th is always the end-of-string character, because if you actually used 8 letters, there'd be no room for it and the game would crash.)

Ta Da

Now I am also answering any other myth legend or any other usekess pokemon lies.

Ask Away.

Flames welcome.

MattW
25th January 2006, 12:24 AM
Pretty cool! Great of you to explain this to everyone. (Don't say "Flames welcome" when you clearly know what you're talking about, though, that's like saying, "I come in peace, but feel free to attack me at any time!" :o )

As far as the names, are those in the same order for both Red and Blue?

Darkdata
25th January 2006, 2:04 AM
I think its like this.

Red Is

Player: RED|ASH|JACK|
Oak's Grandson: BLUE|GARY|JOHN|

While in blue
Player: BLUE|GARY|JOHN|
Oak's Gradson: RED|ASH|JACK|

I will double check and edit to check see if i'm right.

emeraldellie
25th January 2006, 2:46 AM
I already knew most of this, but I didn't know about the default names thing. Nice find. Here's a list of the letter values:
A: Golduck
B: Hypno
C: Golbat
D: Mewtwo (BIG OPPORTUNITY HERE!)
E: Snorlax
F: Magikarp
G: Missingno.
H: Missingno.
I: Muk
J: Missingno.
K: Kingler
L: Cloyster
M: Missingno. ('M)
N: Electrode
O: Clefable
P: Weezing
Q: Persian
R: Marowak
S: Missingno.
T: Haunter
U: Abra
V: Alakazam
W: Pidgeotto
X: Pidgeot
Y: Starmie
Z: Bulbasaur (Get all the starters without trading!)
a: Missingno.
b: Missingno.
c: Missingno.
d: Ponyta
e: Rapidash
f: Rattata
g: Raticate
h: Nidorino
i: Nidorina
j: Geodude
k: Porygon
l: Aerodactyl
m: Missingno.
n: Magnemite
o: Missingno.
p: Missingno.
q: Charmander (Get all the starters without trading!)
r: Squirtle (Get all the starters without trading!)
s: Charmeleon
t: Wartortle
u: Charizard
v: Missingno.
w: Missingno. (KABUTOPS FOSSIL)
x: Missingno. (AERODACTYL FOSSIL)
y: Missingno. (GHOST)
z: Oddish

Copied and pasted from www.trsrockin.com. Also, the species of Pokemon is based on the 3rd, 5th, and 7th letters of your name (shown above), and the level is determined by the 2nd, 4th, and 6th letter of your name. The levels are as follows:
First off, look at letters 2, 4, and 6 of your name. Those letters will determine the levels of the Pokemon you can run into. First, take the NUMERICAL equivalent (A=1, B=2, etc.) of those letters, and add 127 for uppercase or 159 for lowercase. In addition, the symbols are as follows:

( 154
) 155
: 156
; 157
[ 158
] 159
PK 209
MN 210
? 239
P(monetary symbol) 240
x(times sign) 241
. 242
? 245
Also, at the end of your name, the game inserts an 80 (HEX 50) to designate "End of Name". Because of how the variables are used, this means that one of the levels your Missingno. (or glitched 'M name) will be is always L80.

Also copied and pasted from www.trsrockin.com.

Darkdata
25th January 2006, 6:15 AM
Thank you for expanding the info and stoping stupidy everywhere.

pika_power
25th January 2006, 6:29 AM
First off this is why the M glitch Exists

This is actually 2 glitches

1) You know when you talk to that old guy, it starts a battle with him catching a Pokémon? In a battle, it always shows your name, but they needed it to say 'OLD MAN' instead. Their solution was to copy your name to an unused part of memory, change it to 'OLD MAN', and then change it back when you were done talking to him. Rather than reserve 8 bytes just for this, they decided to use the bytes that determine which Pokémon should appear in the grass. This seemed a perfect solution as there's no grass there, and once you enter a map where there is, it'll load the proper Pokémon set. Except...

2) In what appears to be a mistake, the game designers made the 'edge of land/water' tiles a tile on which you can encounter Pokémon... problem here is it uses the same set as grass, not the water set. Since these maps don't have any grass in them, they didn't specify what Pokémon should be in the grass, so it stays set to what it was last. (This is why if you fly there after being in grass elsewhere, you find the same Pokémon as in that grass... even from the Safari Zone. ) What do you think happens if you fly here after talking to the old guy? Yep - your name is still in the wild Pokémon list. Since a lot of the unused Pokémon IDs are Missingno (internal IDs in this game don't correspond to their number, they're all mixed up), and it's likely that one of the letters of your name is an unused Pokémon ID, there you go. (Yes, this means the letters of your name determine what you fight... I had a list of it at one point, dunno where though. No, you can't fight Mew unfortunately, because none of the letters match his ID. But you can fight Mewtwo, the 3 legendary birds, and the 3 starters. )

Interesting side note... You know at the beginning, when you can choose from the 3 default names or enter your own? The names are laid out like this in ROM:
RED|ASH|JACK|BLUE|GARY|JOHN
| is the 'end of string' character; the game will stop printing text when it hits this. I haven't confirmed this, but it looks like when you choose a default name, it actually copies 8 letters no matter what you choose. So if you choose JACK, your name is actually 'JACK|BLU', but the game stops printing at the |. This has an effect on the Pokémon you fight as well. (Yes, your name is 8 letters; normally the 8th is always the end-of-string character, because if you actually used 8 letters, there'd be no room for it and the game would crash.)

Ta Da

Now I am also answering any other myth legend or any other usekess pokemon lies.

Ask Away.

Flames welcome.

So if my name was "R" would it be eight letters?

Darkdata
25th January 2006, 7:13 AM
Yes because of the way it works

Say if it was Blue

R End character (|) Blue|G
So Like this R|BLUE|G But there is a stop printing character so the game dosent show the rest.

RaZoR LeAf
25th January 2006, 11:11 AM
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=76413