PDA

View Full Version : Reant-a-trainer

The Big Al
25th January 2006, 1:54 AM
In my fanfic, trainers make money from contracts instead from their battles (battles are more like advertising since people would want strong and skilled trainers to work for them). I was wondering what others thought of this concept. It's kind of based off the Mysterious Dungeon plot except with people as well as pokemon.

I was also thinking of support systems for trainers. Along with the dorm, I had thought of a type of Credit Union for trainers.

I just want some opinions on this.

UnholyWeather
25th January 2006, 4:13 AM
Seems interesting but could you explain it a little more. I have a vague idea of what the concept is. Is it like labor unions or something?

Zerodius
25th January 2006, 5:33 AM
My opinion?

It's: DUH!!!!

As if the SOLE purpose of Pokemon was to beat the crap out of each others in Pokemon battles or to serve inside of contests.

Just think about it: Pikachu has thunder powers... electricity is useful, people! Use logic!

Charmanders can breathe fire. Fire is useful, you know! Use logic!

Now one that people frown on but that is very obvious. Miltanks are cows. Milk and meat are good, people!

In short, definitely go with it. I always thought that they didn't shown enough utilities for the Pokemon in the games. Their powers cannot be useful only in offensive ways, after all!

... and since trainers are those who own Pokemon and since they need money to live... well, use logic again.

People are willing to pay for electricity, fire, meat, whatever... you catch, train, and breed creatures who can give people all that. You need money to live and maintain your Pokemon in good health and shape. It's obvious that at least one trainer out there will have a genious flash and figure out that Pokemon can be a source of income outside of the classic "beat trainer, get money" way.

Now... let's add some economic theories in there... and your idea becomes so painfully obvious that it's a miracle that so few people think about it when doing fanfics or at least, when adding Pokemon trainers in their fics.

NOTE: I have the awful feeling of my post being aggressive and flame-like while in truth, I am perfectly agreeing with your idea... but well, anyway. Have a nice day!

The Big Al
25th January 2006, 12:03 PM
Seems interesting but could you explain it a little more. I have a vague idea of what the concept is. Is it like labor unions or something?
Not quite. Trainers are contract workers. They're contected with job offers and can accept them. They range from security gaurds, to construction workers, to search and rescue, basically any job assisted by pokemon. They're paid a fee and that's how they make a living. I find it more realistic than running around the country, fighting trainers constantly just to get to a league where they fight more trainers. (Though there are tournament but as I said, trainers battle one another to advertise the capabilities of their pokemon and themselves.

UnholyWeather
25th January 2006, 7:45 PM
Cool, go with it.

Elemental Charizam
25th January 2006, 8:15 PM
I agree with Zerodius; it does seem painfully obvious. It's the explanation I'm using for why trainers can go on their joourneys instead of going for an academic education. Some people, of course, do both. So asyou can see, I'm in favour of it. I've seen it work great in other fanfictions.

Go for it!

Seiryu
25th January 2006, 10:58 PM
This does seem like an interesting idea. So the trainers basically take temporary jobs alongside their pokémon? Not a bad idea at all. However, in case you were planning on doing so, may I suggest that you don't completely rule out the possibility of battling for income? There may be an odd trainer out there who might not like the idea of being a contract worker and who became a trainer for the thrill of battles and wishes to bond with their pokémon through said battles.

The Big Al
26th January 2006, 12:12 AM
Well, of course the trainer and pokemon go into a lot of battling and training. Mayn times, they're jobs require battling (especially as guards). And they develope a bond. I think perhaps even a stronger bond that simply battling. They become partners and learn to work together in more than just battling. In my fic, Al and the Vulpix he rescued bond very well together as he nurses back to health and then trains her.

Negrek
26th January 2006, 3:54 AM
Well, yes. I didn't understand what you were saying from your first post, but now that you've clarified, I can say that it's definitely the way to go. I've always kind of thought of the initial "pokemon journey" that younger kids take is sort of a precursor to a more productive career involving pokemon. It allows them to gain some experience working with them and train up a team, but they don't plan to spend all their life on the road. Eventually, they'll be able to take the skills that they learned while journeying and apply them to other pokemon-related jobs. It's one of the reason you see so few older trainers around; most move on to other pokemon-oriented professions. There are very few that are good enough to secure permanent positions in the League as gym leaders or even Elites, who are actually able to make a living off of what most others do as a hobby when they are adults.

Yamato-san
26th January 2006, 4:38 AM
it's a pretty good idea, however, I'm sorry if I'm jumping to conclusions, but some of your posts make it seem like canon sources and most other fics have the wrong idea by making Pokemon be used almost purely for fighting. I just thought I'd set the record straight that using this and not using this are both sensible. It's widely assumed that Pokemon battling is just a highly-supported sport due to its popularity, so highly-supported that pretty much everyone participating gets free services (though, on the subject of Pokemon Centers healing for free, it's worth noting that hospitals in Japan are free to the public, the exception being private doctors). And about advertising a trainer's services, you gotta consider that in real life, we aren't selling out our wrestlers and other athletes to do grunt work, at least as far as I know (though it would be a good idea for the economy, now that I think about it).

The Big Al
26th January 2006, 11:51 AM
Well, I am writing in an American environment. Trainers do have to pay for lodging (at a reduce rent at designated buildings) but care for their pokemon and the food (at leas Michigan) is paid for by the state.

Actually, I've been trying to make an OT fic that's not the typical journey and try to make it believable. Actually, its the others who have said it makes sense. I've just been trying to make this work and asked for suggestions.

Pokemon trainer =/= wrestlers. Actually, in my fic, trainers are a rather neglected segment of society. Aside from the tournaments held at the state fair, most battling occurs outside of public view. In fact, as this progresses, we learn of people who are against Pokemon training and believe it should be outlawed.