PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Quicken

klducks
26th January 2006, 12:24 AM
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/gp/31.jpg
Quicken - Guildpact. Rare
U: Instant
The next sorcery spell you play this turn can be played any time you could play an instant.
Draw a card.
A skilled Izzet chronarch can carry out an epic vendetta between he fall of one hourglass grain and the next.

I like this card. Not only does it make your sorceries instant speed, but can make one hell of a bluff. At the end of your turn,

"Yeah I play Quicken. Go"
*opponent struggles and wonders whats in your hand*

Not to mention, this costs a simple U mana. However, you can really only utilize this if you run a heavy sorcery deck, which Blue doesn't really have...

The Duck's Rating: 3/5

edit: forgot it was a draw engine, gets a better rating.

Shadow Trainer
26th January 2006, 2:19 AM
Very nice, instant speed Wrath of God and Wildfire are great, the cantrip is nice too. 3/5

~RaikouRider243~
26th January 2006, 7:22 AM
UR can really make awesome use of this card. Leave some mana open, and even if your opponent doesn't attack, you can still Hammer them for three before your untap phase. Sweet, this gives me excuses to play counterspells in the zappage deck.

4/5

Shadow the Hedgehog
26th January 2006, 3:43 PM
Hmmm. I need to get two or three of these. I'll put it to good use. Decree of pain or Cabal Conditioning for starters.Too bad I have to leave mono for it. I also love the bluff ability. 4/5

Sergay Wang
29th January 2006, 6:25 AM
Decree of Pain? Cabal Conditioning? Can we say.... Bad cards?

Quicken is decent. It reminds me a bit of the Instant Speed Sorceries from Invasion Block. Like Ghitu Fire, which was pretty good cause it was built into the card.

But Quicken isn't built into the sorcery you play it on, which severely weakens it's usefulness. While instant Wrath might sound nice, it's not all that amazing. It's already strong as a Sorcery and in order to get it instant speed, you need another card and another color.

As I see it, Quicken is about as useful as Reach into Mist.

2/5

Rhale
13th February 2006, 8:16 PM
I think Quicken is rather good, it gives you a card and allows you to play a sorcery during your opponents turn? Woudln't you love to play kodama's reach during your opponent's turn, then during your turn have 1 more mana in play and another to play in your hand? By turn 4 (or less if your running birds of paradice and/or sak-a tribe elder) you can manage up to 6-7 mana, all untapped and waiting for you. It still draws you a card as well.

The one deck type that does have strong sorceries with blue that could (sadly) benifit from this is a wildfire deck, played right that deck could even be more annoying with a ton of sorceries played during your turn, then throwing out a very strong Magnivore that much sooner. Not to mention at the very least, a 1 drop instant card draw spell is probalby undercosted with the real use ability of quicken on there

4/5