PDA

View Full Version : Odd Pokémon Out! (438)

Serebii
26th January 2006, 4:24 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/438.jpgGrovyle VS Tropius! Grass Field Battle!

While Ash & Co. are on their way to Yuzriha Island for May's next Pokémon contest, they come across an island where Grovyle battles a wild Tropius. Grovyle gets injured in battle and gets treated by Nurse Joy & her Meganium. Grovyle falls in love with this Meganium and decides to battle against the Tropius again, will Grovyle gain the strength to win?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/438.shtml)

Discuss

Serebii
26th January 2006, 4:29 PM
Can confirm that Grovyle did evolve...but he can't use any attacks at the moment for some reason

PDL
26th January 2006, 4:32 PM
maybe it can't use any attacks because it was used to moving at high speeds and manauvering when it was smaller as a Treecko or Grovyle

I knew Sceptile seemed to big and clunky to use those battle tactics...

now it has to adapt to being big now :\

CyberCubed
26th January 2006, 4:34 PM
If it loses Leaf Blade for good I will be sad. :(

PDL
26th January 2006, 4:37 PM
chances are it'll still have leaf blade... but no more jumping around and doing crazy backflips with it I'm afraid...

It'll probably be a very close range attack now :\

SuperSonic
26th January 2006, 4:41 PM
I dont think that Sceptile will lose it's agility. Its speed is extremely high in the games. And even if the games are different from the anime, its speed is still part of the pokemon game freak envisioned.

Gaiash
26th January 2006, 4:59 PM
I was sort of expecting Grovyle to evolve since then Ash would have a chain of grass types (Bulbasaur, Beyleaf and Sceptile. You guess the chain) but not in this episode though. But it has and as long as its still got its Treecko personality I'm happy but if it ends up being the Grass type Charizard I'll be disapointed.

Kabuto
26th January 2006, 5:06 PM
Sceptile can't attack, eh. Something tells me it will be able to use leaf blade and its other crazy arsenal of moves by the end of Sceptile Dawn of Revival. So if it can't use moves, then did it lose the fight? And what happened with Meganium?

John's Knight
26th January 2006, 5:16 PM
Yay, Grovyle evolved! It's now a mighty Sceptile! *opens champagne*
Does anyone one why Sceptile can't use any moves?

The Big Al
26th January 2006, 5:19 PM
He might have to get use to its body. Sceptile is still agile but he has to learn to use his new center of gravity and such.

As for the battle, he could always punch Tropius in the nose I guess. Still, we'll have to how they explains this, and how it changes.

A TBA thought. Ash has used seven Pokemon (in his main team) and all but three (Pikachu, who we can assume still doesn't want to evolve and certainly hasn't been around any thunderstones if he has changed him mind. Corphish who could or could not evolve but kicks butt either way. And Torkoal who doesn't evolve) are fully evolved now. Do you think this is asign evolution is not so much a taboo anymore?

nameless
26th January 2006, 5:30 PM
Can confirm that Grovyle did evolve...but he can't use any attacks at the moment for some reason

If he can't use any attacks then how the heck did he beat Tropius or did he evolved afterwards?

Though one thing with the evolution could be that Sceptile is not used to his new body. I mean the evolution did grant him a new body, weight, center of balance, shape, so perhaps he's one of those pokemon that need time to readjust.

Komedic Konservationist
26th January 2006, 5:43 PM
Ewwwwwww. I just looked at Sceptile in Ash's character bio, and it's even damn uglier than that sprite. I hope it gets dumped pretty quick, and left to rot.
Ahem. Apart from Grovyle evovling into that hideous beast, it looks like a decent episode. By the end of AG I was appaled at how Tropius had been shafted, and left with just a lacklustre league battle. This episode should give Tropius a chance to display it's true potential. I also want to see one last extreamly cool Grovyle battle, before the writers do the ultimate mistake of this millenia and turn it into that abomination. *Spits*

The Benmeister
26th January 2006, 5:47 PM
I don't see what everyone hates about Sceptile...

I wonder if, because of lack of moves, Sceptile loses again? That would be interesting, and good for Tropius. I think it should have evolved after the battle...

nameless
26th January 2006, 5:53 PM
Ewwwwwww. I just looked at Sceptile in Ash's character bio, and it's even damn uglier than that sprite. I hope it gets dumped pretty quick, and left to rot.

That's not Ash's Sceptile, Serebii just posted a picture from the Honen League of the first Sceptile we saw which everyone should've seen like awhile ago.....

Not to mention Ash's Grovyle looked different from the other Grovyle, at least IMO.

I don't see what everyone hates about Sceptile...

Their afraid of change. Don't worry, it'll grow on them. They said the same thing about Grovyle being butt ugly.

Brinstar
26th January 2006, 5:55 PM
whoa! Nameless is back

Um, and to be uh, on topic, woo Sceptile. I hope they take this oppurtunity to give it some cool new moves, like uh...Thunderpunch?

PDL
26th January 2006, 5:59 PM
Um, and to be uh, on topic, woo Sceptile. I hope they take this oppurtunity to give it some cool new moves, like uh...Thunderpunch?

doubtful, since Electric attacks are Pikachu's area of expertise...

Crunch or Dragon Claw are good possiblities though...

ghost master
26th January 2006, 6:22 PM
doubtful, since Electric attacks are Pikachu's area of expertise...

Crunch or Dragon Claw are good possiblities though... yeah but, pikachu doesnt learn thunder punch and I doubt crunch. Also now the dawn of revival episode makes more sense. Since it stated Sceptile was disabled or something and it couldnt learn new moves and Ash had to train it to hep it.

Archangel R.J.
26th January 2006, 6:29 PM
Just out of curiousity Serebii, are you planning on replacing the picture in Ash's bio with one of Ash's Sceptile? I think most people would prefer that, considering Ash's Sceptile will no doubt look better than the other one (plus it'll have its twig, I assume).

And I'm sure that Sceptile will just be as agile as Grovyle, may a bit less because of his size, but he'll still be able to do backflips and all that cool stuff.

I have no clue why Sceptile forgot all of his attacks (and I'm also curious as to how he beat Tropius without them), but I'm sure they'll come to him (there's no way they would make him completely forget Leaf Blade, its his signature move). I'm assuming this will be resolved in "Sceptile! Dawn of Awakening", in which he'll get his old moves back, plus maybe a new one (Solarbeam or Dragon Claw is my guess).

ZoraJolteon
26th January 2006, 6:31 PM
Apparantly it was mental anguish from being rejected.

Thriller
26th January 2006, 6:34 PM
Poor Sceptile. I hope things work out for it.

Hooray! Now all thats has to be done is either ditch the shrimp for something like Glalie or evolve it and Ash has a full team of badass big guys.

I have to wonder while May is having her contest Ash will be trying to train Sceptile next ep.

IMPERIAL DRAGON
26th January 2006, 6:42 PM
Take Leaf Blade as an example, he literally no longer has those long elbow-leaves, so his technique will have to be totally redesigned due to his newfound power. Although, I reckon the two elbow leaves will glow with a green-white aura, forming a new mega leaf blade of pure energy.

And no offence or anything, but I think all you anti-Sceptile people are bloody weird. It’s awesome in every way in my opinion.

Either way, spectacular news, and I’ll actually bother to check out the episode pictures for one of the first times since the league.

Aldrius
26th January 2006, 6:59 PM
Yay Sceptile.

Hm, though it was a pretty sure thing it was gonna evolve. Generally in history, trainers' starters always get to the third stage. Treecko was Satoshi's "Starter" for Hoenn. (May's hasn't evolved because she's a co-ordinator, I suppose.)

Eh, though that's a pretty baseless fact.

GreenKirby
26th January 2006, 7:15 PM
AWESOME!! Grovyle evolved!! Now I get to see lots of my favorite pokemon. As for Sceptile not remembering attacks, I find it shocking, but hey, it's a interesting twist on evolution.

ghost master
26th January 2006, 7:41 PM
Apparantly it was mental anguish from being rejected.At first I thought W T F but, now that I think about it kinda sounds like Sceptile. He always tries to succeed in everything he does and knowing that he failed and that he recently evolved it seems more likely than I thought that its because of mental damage. It's also something on the more original side for the writers.

Infinite Master Sceptile
26th January 2006, 7:42 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grovyle evolved into Sceptile. I can hardly wait for the pics.
And then a much longer wait for an avatar!
Hmm....
Can't attack, you say? Apparently he was entirely disoriented by his evolution. Maybe he's unfamiliar with his newfound power.
It's possible Ash will be training with Sceptile during May's contest. He's done it before with Swellow.

Tamer Zack
26th January 2006, 7:44 PM
It's about time his Pokemon are evolving now we just need to wait for Corphish and if you look at his profile picture you can tell he's using Bullet Seed followed up with Leaf Blade.

jolteonjak
26th January 2006, 7:48 PM
The pic in his profile pic is of Tetsuya's Sceptile. I imagine when the episode pics are posted, Serebii will use one of those for the profile.

nameless
26th January 2006, 7:53 PM
Can't attack, you say? Apparently he was entirely disoriented by his evolution. Maybe he's unfamiliar with his newfound power.
It's possible Ash will be training with Sceptile during May's contest. He's done it before with Swellow.

Form what I got, Joy said that it's due to the mental damage Sceptile suffered from his failure in love and disoriented by the evolution.

Tamer Zack
26th January 2006, 7:57 PM
The pic in his profile pic is of Tetsuya's Sceptile. I imagine when the episode pics are posted, Serebii will use one of those for the profile.

Oh that's why there was no twig in his mouth.

Torkoal Stu
26th January 2006, 8:01 PM
Oh that's why there was no twig in his mouth.
Plus in the preview it turned into a flower, so it would be mostly a flower in view anyway.

Unless it dumped it's twig ;_;

ghost master
26th January 2006, 8:02 PM
Form what I got, Joy said that it's due to the mental damage Sceptile suffered from his failure in love and disoriented by the evolution. thats what zorajolteon said as well.

It's possible Ash will be training with Sceptile during May's contest. He's done it before with Swellow. I doubt it since its mentioned in the summary of dawn of revival episode that Sceptile still has the same problems.

Unless it dumped it's twig ;_; It better not thats his signature thing to distinguish him from the others.

Gravy
26th January 2006, 8:04 PM
So I have to wait another 2 weeks to see if the writers are stupid enough to turn ol' Grovey into a boring stereotypical monster pokémon with beam attacks?
At the edge of my seat? Damn right.

As for the twig, I'm expecting that he either dumps it in favour of a new one or tears the flower off. Either way, he'll be getting rid of a reminder of his failure.

crawdauntpro
26th January 2006, 8:05 PM
Maybe it used up all its energy in its battle with Tropius and cant battle with its lack of energy?

ghost master
26th January 2006, 8:07 PM
So I have to wait another 2 weeks to see if the writers are stupid enough to turn ol' Grovey into a boring stereotypical monster pokémon with beam attacks?
At the edge of my seat? Damn right.Scepty. It would be nice to see Sceptile with a new arsenal of moves but, it better not have solar beam and I hope Ash reteaches it leaf blade. Although what this does make me wonder is if Ash will cure him. I'm sure it will just be by training and battling Brock, May and filler characters but, then again maybe sceptile has to fall in love with somoene who doesnt reject him to cure his mental disease.

Maybe it used up all its energy in its battle with Tropius and cant battle with its lack of energy?We've got two people who can translate the pokeani forums and have confirmed that it is due to Meganium's rejection.

Pika Hikari KT
26th January 2006, 8:19 PM
Aw, poor Sceptile. Bayleef it is not.;) ...But I'm sad this is Grovyle's last appearance, I really love him.:( But I really hope it learns Dragon Claw in 'Dawn of Revival!'...it seems like a great move for it.

BTW, why did the Meganium reject Sceptile? A Venusaur boyfriend?:p

nameless
26th January 2006, 8:23 PM
It was probably having an affair with Tropius, something went wrong prior to the episode so they broke up.

That or after it got it's butt handed to it Megs felt sorry for it.

The Big Al
26th January 2006, 9:06 PM
Let me get this straight, Grovyle is suffering brain damage because he got dumped by Meganium. That's it, the writers were on crack writing this episode.

I think Leaf Blade/Crunch/Dragon Claw would be great for Sceptile. He's the best in your face pokemon on the gangs team and I want him to stay that way. I agree with Gravy, it would suck if Ash turned him into another long range battery.

ŁańkaŃ
26th January 2006, 9:06 PM
If it loses Leaf Blade for good I will be sad. :(

if it does lose Leaf Blade..i shell be sad too...

but i'm shocked that it actually does evolve, after all the time i said it wouldn't in this ep...

oh well, i guess i have to say it won't with out thinking it would...and IT WILL EVOLVE...FOR REAL :p...wow that's funny

well, i'm wondering if it evolve during it's battle with Tropius or someone else?

Jo-Jo
26th January 2006, 9:11 PM
Awwwww, Sceptile. Got his balls stomped on by love. Poor dear.

PDL
26th January 2006, 9:14 PM
Awwwww, Sceptile. Got his balls stomped on by love. Poor dear.

which ones? the ones now on his back or the other ones?

ghost master
26th January 2006, 9:19 PM
Let me get this straight, Grovyle is suffering brain damage because he got dumped by Meganium. That's it, the writers were on crack writing this episode.Well I can kinda understand. Sceptile has always been about being the best. He doesnt like to fail. So that can be why, not to mention his whole love thing and being in a new body are probally contributing as well.

Jo-Jo
26th January 2006, 9:20 PM
which ones? the ones now on his back or the other ones?
....Both? Iunno, I don't want to think about it too closely. :p

JazzJazz
26th January 2006, 9:29 PM
So that can be why, not to mention his whole love thing and being in a new body are probally contributing as well.

I understand it from the point of being in a new body, remember when bayleef first evolved and it didn't know its own strength?

Eddieursa
26th January 2006, 10:14 PM
I hope all this story about "Sceptile can't use any moves" will be just temporary. It sounds ridiculous that a evolved Pokemon suddenly forgets all its movements!!!. Some Pokemon learns new moves when they evolve, just like when "Treecko" learned Leaf Blade when he evolved to "Grovyle". But that it happens the opposite it's ridiculous!!.

The attacks used up to now by Grovyle are: Pound, Quick Attack, Leaf Blade and Bullet Seed. (Not many, right. But they are very effective). So I hope the writters don't even think about make Sceptile loses those attacks permanently. And well, I also hope Sceptile will learn Solar Beam too.

Does Grovyle evolve in the battle or after defeat Tropius?. What happens at the end with Tropius, Nurse Joy and her Meganium?. And how Ash and company discover that Sceptile can't use his attacks?. I hope somebody can respond me.

Korobooshi Kojiro
26th January 2006, 10:21 PM
Sceptile will probably kick some major butt soon, I expect this to be a temporary(and somewhat orginal) hitch.

Maybe Meganium fell in love with Tropius because Sceptile is somewhat lacking......hey, the tails gotta be compensating for something.^.^

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
26th January 2006, 10:25 PM
I actually think they're going about this in a good way. At the height of its victory, Sceptile gets its heart stomped on by rejection. Yeah, it's happened before, but this time there's lasting damage, which is actually a lot more realistic. Pretty much every love-induced evolution is forgotten in the episode after. So much for true love, eh? Well, not for Sceptile. Sceptile will probably be in mourning in the next few episodes. I'm quite excited to see how Ash is going to overcome this impediment, really. Not much repairs a broken heart 0_0

Anyway, I think this a good twist. Lovelutions are falt-out annoying, so actually seeing some creativity in it is a most welcome change. Bravo writers :)

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

ghost master
26th January 2006, 10:32 PM
understand it from the point of being in a new body, remember when bayleef first evolved and it didn't know its own strength? I forget who posted on bmgf but, they said Nurse Joy explained that it was mainly because of Meganium's rejection.

I actually think they're going about this in a good way. At the height of its victory, Sceptile gets its heart stomped on by rejection. Yeah, it's happened before, but this time there's lasting damage, which is actually a lot more realistic. Pretty much every love-induced evolution is forgotten in the episode after. So much for true love, eh? Well, not for Sceptile. Sceptile will probably be in mourning in the next few episodes. I'm quite excited to see how Ash is going to overcome this impediment, really. Not much repairs a broken heart 0_0

Anyway, I think this a good twist. Lovelutions are falt-out annoying, so actually seeing some creativity in it is a most welcome change. Bravo writers
Yeah its something new non cliche and it also will span out for more than one episode.

MasterJedi
26th January 2006, 10:49 PM
Anybody have any pics of how Ash's Sceptile looks?

Geodude
26th January 2006, 11:15 PM
Anybody have any pics of how Ash's Sceptile looks?
That's obviously gonna take a while. Nobody here outside of Japan has even seen the ep yet, or else they would've said so by now. As usual, it won't be till at least late tomorrow morning before more details and pics are available.

Golden Darkness
26th January 2006, 11:37 PM
Some few tidbits:

Nurse Joy's Meganium was actually in love with the Tropius, and the Tropius with Meganium.

Team Rocket's part of the episode was getting Meganium in order to get Tropius.

That white glow around Grovyle in the preview? That becomes the full body glow of the evolution sequence.

Because it couldn't use its trademark grass attacks, Sceptile got beat around by Seviper and Cacnea.

Gaiash
26th January 2006, 11:43 PM
Because it couldn't use its trademark grass attacks, Sceptile got beat around by Seviper and Cacnea.
thats gotta be embarresing, poor Sceptile.

ChaosMage
26th January 2006, 11:44 PM
Sceptile deserved more of a Donphan/Swellow/Combusken/Ludicolo/Marshtomp/Glalie evolution- learns an attack instantly, kicks arse straight away and continues to rock for all time. Not this crappy lovesick forgetting attacks bullplop.

And it may have lost its Leaf Blade because its elbow leaves have changed. it should still know Bullet Seed, though.

nameless
26th January 2006, 11:46 PM
And it may have lost its Leaf Blade because its elbow leaves have changed. it should still know Bullet Seed, though.

I'm pretty sure it'll still be able to use leaf blade, it's just gonna have to be done differently.

Is this the first time a pokemon has evolved and lost it's ability to fight?

Gryphon Turboclaw
26th January 2006, 11:55 PM
I'm pretty sure it'll still be able to use leaf blade, it's just gonna have to be done differently.

Is this the first time a pokemon has evolved and lost it's ability to fight?

Now that I think about it, no. Remember how Marsala's Octillery---of Whirl Islands fame---couldn't fight well at all after evolving(due to having been rejected by its Remoraid brethren)? What happened to Sceptile sounds like the exact same situation, except with a crush instead of comrades.

One thing for sure, this definitely *won't* help Ash's viewpoint on love in the least.

Jikkle
27th January 2006, 12:02 AM
It's unlikely that'll use leaf blade and it will be a different animation as nameless mentioned. If the writers go somewhat by the game and the pokedex than it'll have leaf blade still and should actually be faster and more agile than Grovyle was. Couple of pokedex entries here:

"The leaves growing on SCEPTILE's body are very sharp edged. This Pokemon is very agile - it leaps all over the brances of trees and jumps on it's fore from above or behind."

"The leaves on it's forelegs are sharp as swords. It agilely leaps about the branches of trees to strike."

"In the jungle, it's power is without equal. This Pokemon carefully grows trees and plants. It regulaters its body temperature by basking in sunlight."

It should be ok on moves in a couple of episodes when you consider that AG165 is a jungle battle and it's pretty much 99% guranteed Ash will use Sceptile in that battle.

The Big Al
27th January 2006, 12:53 AM
I see a lot of pain for Seviper and Canea in a couple episodes. No doubt Sceptile will have a lot of catching up to do when he does get his attacks back.

PeteDHeat
27th January 2006, 12:57 AM
Hooraaayyy!!!Ash has my Favorite Pokemon on his team.Finally he has a Good team now...geez i was getting tired of seeing ash with first and second evolution pokemon on his teams...god...Now If he HAd Charizard and if his Corpish evolve he will become Badass eventually....Or He could Get a Badass pokemon from the NEw Generation in the Episodes to come...or Just Get Snorlax,Tauros ou Muk from Prof.Oak.Still..Corpish Must Evolve!

nameless
27th January 2006, 1:26 AM
Now that I think about it, no. Remember how Marsala's Octillery---of Whirl Islands fame---couldn't fight well at all after evolving(due to having been rejected by its Remoraid brethren)? What happened to Sceptile sounds like the exact same situation, except with a crush instead of comrades.

Ah yes now I remember that one.

So it's not rare but it's not common either for a pokemon to be thrown into that situation. But it's a nice change I suppose from the typical pokemon evolving and then learning new moves right off the bat.

This isn't the first time it had problems with moves; it had difficulty mastering pound and then following with bullet seed.

One thing for sure, this definitely *won't* help Ash's viewpoint on love in the least.

Totodile -> rejected
Sceptile -> rejected

Am I missing anyone else? Excluding brock of course. Oh wait, there's butterfree but that was the only one

It's unlikely that'll use leaf blade and it will be a different animation as nameless mentioned. If the writers go somewhat by the game and the pokedex than it'll have leaf blade still and should actually be faster and more agile than Grovyle was. Couple of pokedex entries here:

There really is no reason WHY it should not be able to use leaf blade.

Magus
27th January 2006, 2:04 AM
Anybody who's worried about Sceptile's lack of attacks? Keep the title of episode 440 in mind. Its meaning is a lot more clear now.

ŁańkaŃ
27th January 2006, 2:08 AM
Totodile -> rejected
Sceptile -> rejected

Am I missing anyone else? Excluding brock of course. Oh wait, there's butterfree but that was the only one.

Acutally u missed Corpish i guess..lol

it wasn't a big one...

but it was after Mawile during Lombre evolving ep!

but i do say that Sceptile will proably different with now using it's tail to help do some new battle style.

I'm sure that it'll be in the Jungle Battle for the next Symbol

Magus
27th January 2006, 2:27 AM
I generally don't like Sceptile's look compared to Grovyle's, but being able to go back to the old tail-smashing that he worked so hard to master as a Treecko is a bright spot to this evolution.

V Faction
27th January 2006, 3:09 AM
From the sounds of it... this little dilhema rocks! Talk about some Character Development for Sceptile. The anguish felt by the loss of a love (and being played on top of it to boot) and the inability to properly take on Cacnea and Seviper. What a suffering hero.

I'm glad that this route was taken. Not often you get such a deep side to evolution and growth. Take the latest example, Donphan, and you'll find no impurities about its evolution. So I'm glad they changed gears with Sceptile. I know that its success rate hasn't been too high all that much. This event and the course it takes will be a definite wake-up call, so that in the end the prize will be even sweeter.

GreenKirby
27th January 2006, 6:13 AM

So, as soon it evolves it loses its first match!? What is this!? This is really stupid. Now I'm starting not to like writers again. That is one part I'm gonna skip/edit out when I see this ep.

Wind Waker
27th January 2006, 7:28 AM
It would be a great idea if sceptile couldn't atatck because it had to get used to its new body and centre of gravity. it shows a different side to evolution and is very intelligent i think personally. and if you don't mind me butting in but it looks like somebody gets to change their banner again ^_^.

but my main question is will scpetile get ther twig back???

Gaiash
27th January 2006, 9:42 AM
Hooraaayyy!!!Ash has my Favorite Pokemon on his team.Finally he has a Good team now...geez i was getting tired of seeing ash with first and second evolution pokemon on his teams...god...Now If he HAd Charizard and if his Corpish evolve he will become Badass eventually....Or He could Get a Badass pokemon from the NEw Generation in the Episodes to come...or Just Get Snorlax,Tauros ou Muk from Prof.Oak.Still..Corpish Must Evolve!
No! If anything Corphish must NOT evolve. Its great the way it is and if it evolved Ash would have TOO MANY final stage Pokemon in his team.

The writers are not trying to make Ash an uber trainer with the ultimate team. Corphish and Pikachu being 1st stage Pokemon makes Ashs team more ballenced in my book. If Ash is to have any more changes to his team any time soon it'll be a capture.

Serebii
27th January 2006, 11:28 AM
Please take discussion of other evolutions into a thread specifically for it

Gaiash
27th January 2006, 12:24 PM
Please take discussion of other evolutions into a thread specifically for it
yes good idea. So anyway as long as they don't make Sceptile too powerful things should be fine and from what I've heard I have nothing to worry about

ŁańkaŃ
27th January 2006, 12:34 PM
So, as soon it evolves it loses its first match!? What is this!? This is really stupid. Now I'm starting not to like writers again. That is one part I'm gonna skip/edit out when I see this ep.

Dat's what actually made them a good writer in some eps.

They don't got 100% good idea every ep, as much as i hate him getting his but kicked by those two

i still wanna see it, it's like when Charizard wasn't that good, so they put him in Charzaric Valley to make him better.

lol

Lupin
27th January 2006, 1:32 PM

But the picture in Ash's profile shows the Swellow from Candid Camerupt, not Ash's Swellow. Why would Serebii waste his time by adding a picture of his own Swellow when the one thats currently there is just fine.

Eddieursa
27th January 2006, 3:34 PM
Let see what we have here:

+ Charizard: Started Pokemon (as Charmander), from Kanto, Fire Type.
+ Sceptile: Started Pokemon (as Treecko), from Hoenn, Grass Type.

Well, if this is like this, just one more needed:

+ Feraligator: Started Pokemon (as Totodile), from Johto, Water Pokemon.

Ash's Pokemon Team would count with Charizard, Sceptile and Feraligator. This sound really good, don't you think so?. The three are Pokemon for "Rookies", with lizard-shape, there is one of each one of three Started Types (Grass, Water and Fire), one from each region already knowned and all of them able to learn the Dragon Pokemon's power. A team like this would be fantastic. (Ash just would have to recover his Totodile from Oak's lab). So, what do you say?.

Alfonso
27th January 2006, 3:49 PM
Fault for best newbie imo.

Agreed pretty much 100% on your points. People seem to think quirks = personality.

Almighty Zard
27th January 2006, 3:55 PM
The pics are funny espcially...Brock's image of the nurse joy, and
Donphan tring to play with some ryhorn(it may be evolved but it's still a kid inside)

Gotta say though it is mighty sad to see him get his butt kicked around like that though, Cacnea and Seviper whooped him good after he evolved

Riva
27th January 2006, 4:02 PM
It seems like Charizard and Bulbasaur are the only pokemon belonging to Ash lucky in love.

Bulbasaur+Gloom
Charizard+Charla

But these pokemon failed.

Totodile
Corphish
and now Sceptile.

Am I right?

GreenKirby
27th January 2006, 4:11 PM
It's called decent writing, for once.

I still don't like it. Having my favorite lose to Team Rocket. It's something that is definately not pretty.

ChaosMage
27th January 2006, 4:24 PM
OK, episode rundown...

-Yuzuriha (sp?) Island is populated with many wild pokemon, including Rhyhorn, Nidoking, Girafarig, Ponyta and Rapidash.
-All the pokemon are released, showing how much Sceptile is going to tower over its buddies!
-Donphan has a rather funny looking confrontation with some Rhyhorn druing a game of catch. Joy and Meganium enter in an ever-present jeep to Sweet Scent them away.
-Brock falls in love, imagining Joy as an angel princess, and gets the Max treatment.
-The gang notice Grovyle has met Tropius, and the two are squaring off. The battle begins, with Grovyle using Quick Attack, but gets batted away and is struck by Whirlwind and Razor Leaf.
-Meganium jumps in to stop them, and Tropius falls in love. Joy gives them a ride to the center, as Grovyle is severely weakened, and Tropius watches.
-Cue Rockets. Giovanni fantasy with the bananas on Tropius's neck feeding da boss! They send Meowth (wearing a trench coat and with a megaphone) to speak to Tropius, hoping to also steal Meganium.
- Grovyle is being healed by Sweet Scent, falls in love with Meganium, and the twig blooms. Brock gives a dramatic explanation for how this happened, in his typical way. Grovyle blushes for a while, having flashbacks of the battle. The gang leave.
-While they're gone, Grovyle leaves to challenge Tropius. TR appears and steals Meganium with a big claw machine. Motto, and Meowth has a go at Manene for stealing his moment. They escape.
-We see the battle between Grovyle and Tropius. Tropius uses Whilwind/Razor Leaf again, but Grovyle is inspired by the flower and uses Quick Attack to run towards a large tree. Tropius wonders to the tree, and Grovyle attacks from a branch with Bullet Seed and jumps down to knock it out with Leaf Blade.
-TR appear in their machine and release Meganium, hoping to capture Tropius. They are shocked to see it defeated by Grovyle. Cheesy love-run between Grovyle and Meganium followed by cliche run-past by Meganium and shocked face from Grovyle. Meganium runs to Tropius, heals it and the two "snuggle". Grovyle is gutted and starts panting hilariously on its knees.
-Joy and the gang appear, seeing Grovyle like this, and TR steal the lovers with their claws. Seeing Meganium in trouble, Grovyle evolves into Sceptile, looking pretty p*ssed off!
-Sceppy tries to attack, but Caccy and Vipey kick its butt when it fails Bullet Seed, Leaf Blade (where the four blades are used sperately). Seeing Sceptile in trouble, Ash has Pikachu use Thunderbolt to destroy the machine, freeing the lovers, and TR try to escape in the balloon. Meganium and Tropius destroy the balloon, and TR blast off. Sceptile is gutted.
-Goodbyes, where Joy explains Sceptile's attack issues. They sail away on a ship, and Ash stares in determination at his pokeball.

Finito. Sceptile rocks!

nameless
27th January 2006, 4:31 PM
I still don't like it. Having my favorite lose to Team Rocket. It's something that is definately not pretty.

*slaps* Calm down. In a few episodes Sceptile is gonna get his...well....his powers back or something. It's only short-lived.

Grovyle is gutted and starts panting hilariously on its knees.

DUDE I GOTTA SEE THIS.

Sceppy tries to attack, but Caccy and Vipey kick its butt when it fails Bullet Seed, Leaf Blade (where the four blades are used sperately).

So it's not combining blades but use all seperately? Well at least that reassures people that it's not gone.

interesting though, so it evolved to protect Meganium. Man talk about stress issues, Sceptile really gets shafted.

jolteonjak
27th January 2006, 4:41 PM
Sweet...thanks. :)

ChaosMage
27th January 2006, 4:46 PM
So it's not combining blades but use all seperately? Well at least that reassures people that it's not gone.

Well, they may combine when it actually finishes the attack. They kind of flicker on before going out. Like how Grovyle's glows for a while before growing into a full-size blade.

SuperSonic
27th January 2006, 5:37 PM
Have seen the pictuers, the ep is awesome. I love the part with Donphan. I think Sceptile needs some more animation time but I dont think it has lost its arborial agilitiy. I mean thats the whole part of being a tree reptille.

I borrowed this from filb:

http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag161/235.jpg

I see an avatar in this pics future.

ŁańkaŃ
27th January 2006, 6:01 PM
Have seen the pictuers, the ep is awesome. I love the part with Donphan. I think Sceptile needs some more animation time but I dont think it has lost its arborial agilitiy. I mean thats the whole part of being a tree reptille.

I borrowed this from filb:

http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag161/235.jpg

I see an avatar in this pics future.

u do kno ur not suppose to advertise or tell other sites...pics...lol

i got yelled twice for doing that TWICE...lol :p

anyway...yea i saw the whole thing...

the love imigination and the love failure...were well done...

i like the stick blooming, but seems it doesn't have it anymore

i felt sorry seeing Sceptile getting beaten...

and how it seems that it has 4 blades for Leaf blade which makes it more powerful

ASH...was funny when everyone, even young max new what was wrong with Grovyle for it was shocked from love failure...

FUNNY ASH...he'll never understand about true love..or will he?

anyway...cool ep...cool way to evolve grovyle, and a cool way to make a new problem :D

9.6/10 :D no mistakes, just didn't get my attention like the Ralts and Max ep...

but this come 2nd place, from that :D

edit: also two more things

TR shock moment hilarious...

and Razor Leaf and Gust nice combo, making Razor leaf faster and more deadly looking :D

ghost master
27th January 2006, 7:11 PM
It looks like Sceptile will be keeping leaf blade. Sceptile used leaf blade and was running getting ready to hit TR's pokemon but, then it stopped glowing. It also looks cooler. It is double bladed now. Sceptile looks awesome but, I'm sure there are still going to be people who are going to whine about how it looks. This episode was ok. I found last episode to be alot more fun. I would rate this an 8.4 or so. Also Gravy was right Grovyle's twig blossomed after Meganium healed it with its powder. Grovyle went down good before he evolved though. He did an awesome fight against Tropius and beat it. Then Meganium healed Tropius and TR took Meganium and Tropius, Grovyle got angry and evolved.

greta_lover
27th January 2006, 7:11 PM
Cool. It is cool that Grovyle evolves in this ep. I love Grovyle and Sceptile!

Torkoal Stu
27th January 2006, 7:21 PM
Sceptile lost to Seviper and Cacnea, COOL ^^;

Some very avatar worthy pics if I do say so myself. And Sceptile trying to use leaf blade and then failing was priceless. And Sceptiles flower vanished ;_; I guess the tradition is over, or please god let it come back soon.

I still can't believe it lost it's first battle, it seems so un-writer like it's usually Losing ---> Evolution ---> Instant Butt Kicking. But yay they changed it =D This is episode looks really cool, i'll have to keep my eye out in the dun (whenever that happens).

And at the begining May still has her cool Rose and Letter, thats quite cool.

ghost master
27th January 2006, 7:28 PM
And Sceptiles flower vanished ;_; I guess the tradition is over, or please god let it come back soon. Grovyle usually didnt have the twig in its mouth when battling. Sceptile battled against TR and then we didnt see him anytime afterwords. So we should probally wait until Sceptile isnt battling and just lying around to determine.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
27th January 2006, 7:32 PM
i think i may have an idea, but i need to know something:

is sceptile physically unable to use attacks?

OR

is sceptile just restraining itself?

because the next battle facility is the battle palace!
knowing how predictable ash is, he's going to use sceptile in this battle!
you battle according to your nature there. so sceptile will probably use it's attacks accordingly.

let's not forget the title:

"Fierce Fighting! Jungle Battle at the Battle Palace!"
it's obvious he's going to use sceptile in it. this is just a guess, but it's going to be a one on one battle with spenser's slaking, since it's his best pokemon suited for the jungle.

remember the episode before that?

"Sceptile! Dawn of revival!"
ash will probably learn to adjust sceptile's attacks according to his nature, which will come in handy at the battle palace.

what do you all think?

Torkoal Stu
27th January 2006, 7:34 PM

OR

is sceptile just restraining itself?
I believe it was comfirmed that Sceptile couldn't attack because it was suffering from a brain thing after being rejected. And it is unable to use attacks from what I hear.

ghost master
27th January 2006, 7:36 PM

OR

is sceptile just restraining itself? According to people who actually understood the episode. they said Sceptile didnt use its attacks because of the mental damage of being rejected by Meganium. Also a dawn of revival summary has stated that Ash will teach it to gain moves back. So your theory is practically confirmed.

V Faction
I noticed the rose too. Hurray for continuity!

And talk about a badass episode. I've only seen the episode pictures and it looks fantastic.

- The beginning had a truely AG feeling. Tons of wild Pokemon about (Girafarig? Rapidash? HOLY MOLY), the gang releases the entire PokeGroup, funny personality hyjinks with Donphan. Notice how it still keeps the Phanpy persona. Quite an excellent foreshadowing of what follows in the eppy.

- Tropius exceeded my expectations. Sometimes its good to just admire Pokemon in the wild than rather expecting them to show up in a fight or contest [that doesn't mean I'm less psyched to see Vibrava next ep. though] as long as they provide some good attack action, that is! ;)

- Meganium, that *****! More like... *****ganium, yeah! Aw nuts.

- I can't wait to see what the future holds for Sceptile. Adjusting to the new body, rediscovering all of his attacks, pulling off stunts again like his old self... the cool stuff, basically.

- All of the supporting plot seemed just as good as the main stuff. Team Rocket has sadled themselves back in the boss fantasies it looks like. And what's going on with Manene and Meowth in the motto? Trouble in paradise!

- How bittersweet that the only time Cacnea and Seviper can prove to be useful is when their opponent is lacking in full power.

nameless
Mental breakdown, that's what Joy said.

Man that picture of Grovyle is just priceless.

greta_lover
27th January 2006, 7:37 PM
Yeah. Have to agree with you, nameless.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
27th January 2006, 7:41 PM
yay! for once people actually approve of my theories! ^_^

maybe sceptile's heart will harden, and it'll become a battling machine?

Kabuto
27th January 2006, 7:48 PM
I'm actually happy Sceptile loses after it evolves, because it needs a loss before major butt kicking once it learns its moves in Dawn of Revival.

nameless
27th January 2006, 7:56 PM
Took a look at the episode and I can say one thing.

1 - Grovyle looked like a teenager on withdrawal after being rejected --> priceless

2 - 2nd round against Tropius shows just how much Grovyle reigns supreme when fighting near trees.

Yamato-san
27th January 2006, 8:04 PM
ASH...was funny when everyone, even young max new what was wrong with Grovyle for it was shocked from love failure...

FUNNY ASH...he'll never understand about true love..or will he?

Actually, I think Satoshi was more concerned about Juptor's battle. They didn't see Meganium healing Tropius, so he was confused as to whether or not Juptor won.

Anyway, though the evolution was, sadly, a bit expected (didn't give me near the high I got when I first saw Donphan's evolution), I am glad that Satoshi's ever kickass Kimori has finally gone all the way. And to all the people who assumed Jukain would be ugly and lose its luster as a Juptor..... all of you are so f***ing wrong, it ain't funny. The people who brought up the watermelon field's Juptor had a point, and Satoshi's is way different from Tetsuya's. Don't be surprised if I end up rubbing this into all of your faces for a while and milk it for all it's worth, fufu ^w^.... that goes for all you Lizardon fanboys who doubted another fully-evolved starter to rival him, and other general idiots, as well.

Chaos Mage, you missed something: while Juptor was shocked over Meganium and Tropius, the flower on its twig suddenly fell apart. Then, as he was on his knees, panting, the twig fell out of his mouth and lay on the ground. He didn't pick it up again for the rest of the episode, so if you see a screenshot of Satoshi's new Jukain, don't be surprised if it's lacking that. Hopefully, he gets a new one after he gets his game back in Dawn of Revival.

Anyway, this episode really ended up throwing me for a loop. As I guessed, Joy's Meganium was attracted to the Tropius, but that's the only part I managed to predict right. It sucks that Jukain couldn't use any techniques due to a shock after its evolution and ended up getting tossed around by Sabonea and Habunake, but I'm with V Faction, it was nicely unexpected, original, and should be great for Jukain's future development (besides, it was great to see a Tropius and Meganium get the spotlight, considering we'll be seeing a lot more of Jukain in the future). It was also original since we usually see Pokemon kicking *** and strutting their new stuff immediately after they evolve. Instead, Jukain evolves, gets beaten down by Sabonea and Habunake, highly unexpected.

Juptor ended up fighting and beating Tropius without Satoshi's help. Aside from being another unexpected event, the rematch kicked serious *** in my opinion (thank the good animation director for that), and truley was a great last hurrah for Juptor. And Juptor taking his rejection to Meganium was a lot more cartoonily exaggerated than I expected, but fortunately, the guy didn't end up becoming another Takeshi. For once, this rejection seems more realistic, with Jukain being in shock that lasts a brief while as opposed to just forgetting about it and immediately moving onto the next girl, and Jukain manages to retain his cool style and dignity this way. Someone said it before, but I'll say it again, this is definitely the best love evolution scenario we've had.

Rocket Dan were great in this episode as well. Manene stealing all of Nyaasu's parts in the motto (and then Nyaasu pops up at the end and says "Manene!" shortly before it realizes what went on and yells at Manene XD) was hilarious. Rocket Dan trying to negotiate with the Tropius to join them was unique. Of course, Sabonea and Habunake get points for the damage they did to Jukain (even if he was at a disadvantage), and for that matter, when they were released from their balls (and Sabonea didn't hug Kojirou, a rarity), they got "shot" out of the mech and collided with Jukain, who was jumping up towards them XD. Pikachu took down the mech before it could step on Jukain while he was down, but they didn't blow sky high. They took the opportunity to escape in their balloon, and interestingly enough, they weren't kidnapping any Pokemon or had something they'd stolen when they did. It seems that despite how sweet and kind Joy and her Meganium are, they have no concept of mercy (same goes for Tropius). Whatever you do, do not f*** with them.

One more thing before I end this post: Tropius did not sound like a Laplace knockoff, yay! It didn't have that nifty squishing-fruit noise it made in the Jirachi movie, but I'd say the voice somewhat fit it nontheless (it sounded kinda like a Bohmander).

ChaosMage
27th January 2006, 8:16 PM
Seviper gets its revenge for its debut episode! Cool!

Flamez
27th January 2006, 8:22 PM
Seen the episode and well IMO its 10/10 cuz grovyle/sceptile is just amazing. I actually like what they did, Sceptile suffers some mental damage and couldn't use the attacks, like V Faction said this gives alot more growth to the evolution and im glad it was done for sceptile. Taking the beating by seviper and cacnea and still being able to get up for more gotta love sceptile. Ofcourse i cant forget manene it kept cutting off meowth that was priceless.
Anways like a said a really great episode, i've never really liked meganium for some reason and this episode just made her look like a bi*tch.lol.

EDIT- Just wanted to add something, Grovyle losing to tropius and then coming back and giving it a wooping was something i really wanted to happen it was great to see grovyle go out in style. ( im sure gravy agrees with me on this)

V Faction
27th January 2006, 8:40 PM
Anyway, though the evolution was, sadly, a bit expected (didn't give me near the high I got when I first saw Donphan's evolution), I am glad that Satoshi's ever kickass Kimori has finally gone all the way. And to all the people who assumed Jukain would be ugly and lose its luster as a Juptor..... all of you are so f***ing wrong, it ain't funny. The people who brought up the watermelon field's Juptor had a point, and Satoshi's is way different from Tetsuya's. Don't be surprised if I end up rubbing this into all of your faces for a while and milk it for all it's worth, fufu ^w^.... that goes for all you Lizardon fanboys who doubted another fully-evolved starter to rival him, and other general idiots, as well.
But hey, didn't I say that Sceptile would have a double-bladed Leaf Blade! Looks like I nailed it! :D

Actually, that's not legitimate. Sceptile has not officially pulled off Leaf Blade. So forget the whole thing.

Crystal Clair
27th January 2006, 8:54 PM
That episode was awesome! Pretty interesting how two of my most favorite Pokemon Tropius and Meganium were in love. *_* fanservice!
I swear I took so many shots of Tropius, I thought my pc was gonna crash. Tropius and Pidgeotto>all other Pokemon in hotness. Call me a zoophile but I'm a Tropius fangirl.
Manene was pretty cute too, and Meganium was cool. I cringed when Sceptile beat my little Tropius-chan up.
Was it just me or was May really flat in this episode?

CyberCubed
27th January 2006, 8:55 PM
Was it just me or was May really flat in this episode?

Some animators tend to make her smaller than others, but eh...whatever. You seem to notice this a lot don't you?

Pokeballs
27th January 2006, 8:55 PM
I loved the reactions that Grovyle/Sceptile gave in this episode. When Grovyle discovers Meganium likes Tropius and when Sceptile discovers he can't use any attacks were hilarious.
I knew Ash's Sceptile would look way cooler than Tetsuya's, but i gotta give it to the animators for doing a really good job o_o
and hurray for double leaf blade XD

Addydo
27th January 2006, 8:58 PM
Bulbapedia Has A picture of Ash's Sceptile up on Ash's Bio. Just click on Sceptile and you'll see it in the top right corner. :D
He's look AWESOME!!! :D

Zoramon089
27th January 2006, 9:04 PM
Ash Sceptile looks WAAAAY better than Tetsuya's...

http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag161/293.jpg
http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag161/289.jpg

And whats with you people saying it wouldn't be able to do leaf blade because it's arm leaves were too short?! They're longer than Grovyles! They're already blades, they probably just glow!

JazzJazz
27th January 2006, 9:07 PM
And whats with you people saying it wouldn't be able to do leaf blade because it's arm leaves were too short?! They're longer than Grovyles! They're already blades, they probably just glow!

They actually started to glow in the episode but the attack seemed to fizzle out before sceptile could use it... so I'd say that leaf blade is still a solid part of sceptile's collection of moves (once it can start attacking again).

nameless
27th January 2006, 9:14 PM
Ash Sceptile looks WAAAAY better than Tetsuya's...

http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag161/293.jpg
http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag161/289.jpg

Actually Grovyle's leaves aren't that long either. When Leaf Blade is activated it extends the leaves into a long blade. I assume in Sceptile's case it's the same except it's with 4 even longer blades. It just fickled out before it could because Sceptile forgot his moves.

CyberCubed
27th January 2006, 9:24 PM
http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag161/008.jpg

Tee hee! ~

Thank you Pokemon writers.

The Big Al
27th January 2006, 9:29 PM
Foop, her arms are in the way.

Sceptile looks a lot better than the others. He looks leaner, meaner, and will rock when he can attack again.

I wonder if his problem is that he's so mad and can't focus. So he can't concentrate to create his attacks.

ghost master
27th January 2006, 9:33 PM
Tee hee! ~

Thank you Pokemon writers.when i saw that. I knew you wouldn't let it go without a comment or temporary sig pic.

Crystal Clair
27th January 2006, 9:36 PM
You seem to notice this a lot don't you?
Dont you dare.....
besides it's only for a breast-size project I've been doing..... and maybe something new for my signature.....

Gaiash
27th January 2006, 11:00 PM
when i saw that. I knew you wouldn't let it go without a comment or temporary sig pic.
yes this image is filled with images that'll make great sig gags. I wonder if anyone'll make a Grovyle/Pedro sig gag.

Gravy
28th January 2006, 12:15 AM
And to all the people who assumed Jukain would be ugly and lose its luster as a Juptor..... all of you are so f***ing wrong, it ain't funny.
Oh, shut up XP;

I still think Sceptile looks inferior when compared compared to Grovyle, but kudos on these guys for actually making it look so god damned cool. The b@stards. Especially its face, which left me pleasently surprised. I'm just hoping it STAYS that way in the transition from various animation teams. I'd rather have it looking this good in all the episodes its featured in, and not have it downgraded to the horrid mess that was Tetsuya's Sceptile.
But in the long run, he's the same old Treecko we've known since way back in 2003, and he's still one of the best pokémon. Battle and personallity wise. And really, I think thats all that counts here.
But still, this Gravy is going to sorely miss Grovyle. However, it was great to see it go out in such glory. Although somewhat short, its final battle in the series managed to show us exactly why its the most badass pokémon in the entire show. Some beautiful animation, great moves (including the ever impressive Quick Attack/Leap many feet into the air combination), the absolute obliteration of a creature at least twice its size and an all round perfect way to end his run on the show. I don't think it could have gone any better. And I'm happy with that.

I'm also going to agree with V and Yamato. The inability to use any of of techniques was a pretty smart move. You could just feel the shame from Sceptile as it struggled to get to its feet, and the aura of anger emitting from it as it glared at Meganium and Tropius.
The entire love plotline was handled absolutely perfectly too. We DID get a few amusing expression from Grovyle a little while before it finally evolves, but otherwise its personallity shone through all that. We still got the ol' lust for power and the intense rage thrown in there and it worked magnificantly.

-If you didn't like Donphan before (poor, confused fools), you'll absolutely love him in this episode. I'm estatic that they managed to keep his playful nature intact, despite his new found appearence and strength. It makes him a lot less 2D than a lot of other pokémon, and it really is rather amusing to see a brute like that skipping around happily and wanting to play games. I hope this isn't ignored in the future. This guy has the potential to compete with Corphish, if handled properly.

-Many of the pokémon seemed to be awkward sizes this episode. Donphan, Meganium and Tropius seemed to shrink and grow in different scenes and the Rhyhorn that gave chase were abnormally large.

-Tropius' voice....I honestly wasn't fond of. BUT, it was a lot better than having to once again listen to that awful Lapras voice they seem to paperclip to every other pokémon these days.

-Manene ftw. It stealing all of Meowth's lines during the Team Rocket motto was hillarious. If I've said it once, I'll say it again. Manene is the best baby pokémon to ever grace this show. Full stop.

-When Grovyle was shocked to see Meganium go off with Tropius, I felt really sorry for the guy. He was absolutly crushed and the issue with his attacks just added insult to injury. The poor fern-butted thing ;_;

-I hate the animators for making Sceptile look cool. All that whining! All that bitter complaining! And for what? To have it all thrown back at me. I am crushed. CRUSHED!

-lol @ Ash just not getting it. As usual, he was the only one that didn't seem to know what the hell was going on with the love triangle. If Ash was a pokémon, his trait would be Oblivious for certain.

ghost master
28th January 2006, 12:27 AM
I hate the animators for making Sceptile look cool. All that whining! All that bitter complaining! And for what? To have it all thrown back at me. I am crushed. CRUSHED! Well I and a couple others told you so.

However, it was great to see it go out in such glory. Although somewhat short, its final battle in the series managed to show us exactly why its the most badass pokémon in the entire show. Yes, I believe it was you(but I may be remembering wrong) who said if Grovyle evolved you wanted to see Grovyle end in dignity not some evolve to win the battle cliche stuff. So you or whoever said that got their wish.

Pika Hikari KT
28th January 2006, 12:33 AM
Very pleasantly surprised at how great Sceptile looked. His facials were very, very amusing, and the quadruple Leaf Blade...whoa.:D Too bad he didn't succeed with that.:( It's kinda too bad this is a kids show...after all, Sceptile has three claws each now.;) Forget about Cena, I think he's getting into SCSA territory, if already at it!:D

Donphan kept its Phanpy personality...thank GOD. I loved Phanpy-chan--so playful and KAWAII! Donphan retains those adorable quirks even after evolution.^_^

Riva
28th January 2006, 1:02 AM
I agree, KT. ^_^

Gaiash
28th January 2006, 1:05 AM
Donphan kept its Phanpy personality...thank GOD. I loved Phanpy-chan--so playful and KAWAII! Donphan retains those adorable quirks even after evolution.^_^
Got to agree with you there. I've always been a fan of Donphan and I also liked Phanpys personality so to have both is a real treat.

Don't you just love when Pokemon with such a serious design have a comedic emotional responce, Charizard and Sceptile are perfect examples I mean you can't tell me you wern't laughing your head off at Charizards face when it Carried Ash to the Charisific Vally and as for this episode its got to be Sceptiles "WTF" look on its face when he tries to use Leaf Blade.

ZoraJolteon
28th January 2006, 1:34 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else really hate the red lines under Sceptile's eyes?

Aldrius
28th January 2006, 1:41 AM
HATE to sound like some evolution pusher, but do you guys think this opens the door for Marshstomp and Blaziken? Do you think we'll finally see all three starters in their final evolutionary stages at some point?

Anyway, the episode looks reallly good. I love Sceptile/Jukain and he has some great move options at his disposal. The sub-plot sounds fairly interesting, and the fact that when he evolved... Sceptile didn't turn into a Grass Charizard makes it all the better!

I think the red lines make him look more battle-weary and distinguished.

ghost master
28th January 2006, 2:12 AM
HATE to sound like some evolution pusher, but do you guys think this opens the door for Marshstomp and Blaziken? Do you think we'll finally see all three starters in their final evolutionary stages at some point? Honestly I see May's Combusken as a pokemon that will evolve eventually since it will be with her forever. Brock's Marshtomp is 50-50 IMO. There are hints though. With Swampert appearing from Masanume and Tucker. Also Marshtomp may become the Zubat of the BF saga.

Is it just me, or does anyone else really hate the red lines under Sceptile's eyes? At first I thought it made it look kinda tired and angry but, I like the pink eye liner thing now.

MagicBox
28th January 2006, 3:24 AM
HATE to sound like some evolution pusher, but do you guys think this opens the door for Marshstomp and Blaziken? Do you think we'll finally see all three starters in their final evolutionary stages at some point?I don't want Combusken to evolve, but I would LOVE to see Brock with a Swampert. It looks too cool not to evolve.

But back to the episode itself, I'm thrilled that Sceptile's evolution was done in an original, fitting way. I haven't seen the episode, but everybody's reviews are really getting me excited. I'm glad that Sceptile has a new setback to overcome; it sounds natural that a Pokemon can have problems with an evolution.

I want to see Manene steal Meowth's lines. That sounds like it will MAKE the episode for me.

I'm also excited to see Donphan with its playful Phanpy personality.

PeteDHeat
28th January 2006, 4:38 AM
One question:Where did yall got this pictures from?>.<

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
28th January 2006, 5:03 AM
After viewing the pics I'm really looking forward to watching this episode. Seems like it has some great animation.

Well Grovyle is gone and now we've got Sceptile with his pimples. I really felt sorry for him when he lost his battle against Team Rocket. I find it pretty amazing that Ash finally recieves his third fully eveolved Pokemon after so many seasons.

Donphan looked pretty funny and there was a Giovanni fantasy which we havn't seen for quite a while. I'm guessing during May's contest Ash will be trying to train Sceptile and will be successful the episode after.

I hope this episode has some good music.

Brute Root
28th January 2006, 5:28 AM
Form what I got, Joy said that it's due to the mental damage Sceptile suffered from his failure in love and disoriented by the evolution.

Didn't Ash's Chikorita also go through a period of "failure in love" er somethin like that...or was it b/c Ash didn't use her in battle enough...Either way, I know fer a fact that the both have some kind of issue with love.

nameless
28th January 2006, 5:35 AM
Didn't Ash's Chikorita also go through a period of "failure in love" er somethin like that...or was it b/c Ash didn't use her in battle enough...Either way, I know fer a fact that the both have some kind of issue with love.

Chikorita was mainly fighting for Ash's affection and thus hated pikachu but got over it. But even when Chikorita became Bayleef it didn't exactly lose it's fighting capability. In Grovyle/Sceptile's case he practically lost it.

One thing I can say though, Grovyle was taking it extremely seriously compared to the others. I mean he didn't exactly go, "oh well." He went like, whaaaaa, then broke down and started panting. Even when in Sceptile he was still angry, especially at the fact that he couldn't do jack.

Brute Root
28th January 2006, 5:45 AM
so explain to me, if you will, exactly what was Grovyle/Sceptile's failure in love.

Heracross
28th January 2006, 5:50 AM
He got dumped for Tropius.

Zoramon089
28th January 2006, 6:33 AM
Pretty much, and to rub it in Meganium and Tropius tag teamed to take out TR while he could do nothing. And it was a GOOD combo. Meganium used razor leaf, then Tropius used whirlwind(?) to make the leaves spin faster and hit harder

Judai Yuki
28th January 2006, 7:47 AM
How are you peps watching this ep pokebip isnt loading for me.

Heracross
28th January 2006, 8:26 AM
Ok, having finally seen this episode, I have the following to say:

-Satoshi's Jukain looks a lot better than Tetsuya's. Thank God.

-Had to feel sorry for the guy, getting his heart trampled on and forgetting all his moves in the span of about five minutes. Though it should certainly provide for some juicy development in the upcoming ep.

-I think Meganium's heal bell is the only CG effect I've been able to tolerate since meteor mash.

-How exactly was Meganium healing Juputoru anyway? Joi said it had healing powers, but I didn't hear a specific teqhnique named.

-Holy crap, Nyasu's trenchcoat returns. He looks so cute when he wears that. XD

-I was surprised that they chose that piece to use during the first Juputoru vs Tropius battle. And I really wasn't expecting to hear the one used while Satoshi was talking to Joi near the end. The last time we heard that one was way back in Jouto. Bring on the oldies!

The Big Al
28th January 2006, 1:06 PM
I still see Sceptile going postal in the Dawn of Revival episode. I mean, he was crapped on in this episode. I could just feel his frustation as Seviper and Cacnea took pot shots at him and not being able to hit back.

A brillant episode actually, the animation was suberb and hope the next Sceptile centered episode is done the same way.

Come to think of it, the last of Ash's Pokemon to evolve when he absolutely P.O.'ed was Charmeleon.

crawdauntpro
28th January 2006, 2:31 PM
Come to think of it, the last of Ash's Pokemon to evolve when he absolutely P.O.'ed was Charmeleon.

Yeah, by Paras, LOL!

pikachu146
28th January 2006, 3:34 PM
yeah,it was cool to see Grovyle evolve.Hope he doesn't lose any attacks.And I wonder will it still obey Ash?

Gaiash
28th January 2006, 3:36 PM
yeah,it was cool to see Grovyle evolve.Hope he doesn't lose any attacks.And I wonder will it still obey Ash?
Of course it will. The writers are hardly going to make it a Grass type Charizard clone are they?

Pika Hikari KT
28th January 2006, 3:54 PM
Yeah, by Paras, LOL!
Actually, it was the Aerodactyl two episodes later--he really wanted to fight it, but Aero gave him the 'bii-da~!' taunt...needless to say, it was on like Donkey Kong after that.:p

jolteonjak
28th January 2006, 3:54 PM
Yeah, by Paras, LOL!

No...by Aerodactyl.

Even by looking at the pics I can tell it was devastated by the turn of events. Going to watch it when I get home from work today (after, of course, seeing Adan grace my screen <3 ).

nameless
28th January 2006, 4:41 PM

That would be a plot hole because right after Grovyle evolves, Ash commands it to help out Megs and Tropius which is does; followed by Bullet seed command which Sceptile tries but fails, then is ordered leaf blade and it tries and then fails.

But I'm pretty sure Sceptile would still retain his old attitude he had as a Treecko.

How exactly was Meganium healing Juputoru anyway? Joi said it had healing powers, but I didn't hear a specific teqhnique named.

Synthesis?

V Faction
28th January 2006, 4:59 PM
Aromatherapy is my guess.

crawdauntpro
28th January 2006, 5:02 PM
Actually, it was the Aerodactyl two episodes later--he really wanted to fight it, but Aero gave him the 'bii-da~!' taunt...needless to say, it was on like Donkey Kong after that.:p

Okay then the two of them handed Charmeleon's backside to him on a silver platter, Hehe.

Kabuto
28th January 2006, 5:20 PM
Poor Sceptile. Rejected by a Meganium and beaten by a Cacnea and Seviper. Please learn all your attacks in Dawn of Revival and show the world what a great pokemon you are.

Komedic Konservationist
28th January 2006, 5:24 PM
Aromatherapy is my guess.
Meganium dosn't learn Aromatherapy. It should, though.

Geodude
28th January 2006, 5:32 PM
I don't think it was so much a result of an actual move, moreso a natural ability that Meganium has. Its Fire Red Pokedex entry says:

"MEGANIUM's breath has the power to revive dead grass and plants. It can make them healthy again."

Remember how Suicune has the ability to cleanse dirty water, even though it's unrelated to any of its moves? Same thing with Meganium here.

Gaiash
28th January 2006, 5:46 PM
I don't think it was so much a result of an actual move, moreso a natural ability that Meganium has. Its Fire Red Pokedex entry says:

"MEGANIUM's breath has the power to revive dead grass and plants. It can make them healthy again."

Remember how Suicune has the ability to cleanse dirty water, even though it's unrelated to any of its moves? Same thing with Meganium here.
But Grovyle and Tropius wern't dead.

Gravy
28th January 2006, 5:48 PM
His point is that Meganium's breath has healing properties on plant life. Therefore, it was able to heal Grovyle and Tropius.

V Faction
28th January 2006, 6:17 PM
Meganium dosn't learn Aromatherapy. It should, though.
My mistake. This would be less complicated if it could though.

------

It requires a generous amount of assumption based on the PokeDex. There's hundreds of different entries, some with outrageous facts. Them pulling something like this here and now is wonky, especially seeing as it looked as if Meganium was using an existing attack. The only breath was at the beginning and that was Sweet Scent [EDIT: Or Heal Bell? Someone inform me].

EDIT2: And to show you what I mean by wonky facts, here's Cloyster's Dex entry:

"Its shell is extremely hard. It cannot be shattered, even with a bomb. The shell opens only when it is attacking."

Now, this isn't totally true. Cloyster's shell broke in the Indigo League. So that's why its hard see them using PokeDex entries as the basis of what a Pokemon can do, even if that is the case. (Reading Kingler's dex is funny too. I wonder if people will use that in countering the shell argument =P)

RaikousThunder
28th January 2006, 6:35 PM
This looked like an awesome ep. Poor Grovyle though. But i think Tropius and Meganium look so cute together, brontoshipping/brachioshipping maybe? I didnt like Grovyle with the heart eyes however, so not like him but i guess any pokemon can be like that if its in love. I think Sceptile looks awesome. I also think he forgot his moves since he evolved out of anger and he was surprised he evolved. He was like whoa, im so different. I also dont get everyones problem with Sceptile, i love it and im glad Ash has another fully evolved three stage pokemon. And whats with everyone saying Sceptile is going to be slowly since its so bulky. Sceptile isnt really that bulky. He's perfectly proportional with his size. Now Charizard is bulky and he is pretty fast. Sceptile has the highest speed amongst the starter pokemon, even faster than Blaziken. Grovyle was fast due to its size but we will most likely see Sceptile be quick in other ways. I can see Sceptile being a major physical attacker with his one long range attack being Bullet Seed. With the ep after the contest being all about Sceptile we may see a new move and will see its new power. Can anyone else see Team Rocket taunting Sceptile about its previous loss and then Sceptile coming back and wiping the floor with Cacnea and Seviper? I cant wait to see the next eps. Does Sceptile have a cool voice? I wonder what it will sound like in America. Gotta wait till Tetsuya's makes its appearence.

Geodude
28th January 2006, 6:52 PM
I understand and agree with what you guys are saying about how sometimes Pokedex entries need to be taken with a grain of salt, but sometimes they are reasonable and can be applied.

And remember Suicune, like I mentioned earlier? Here are two of its Pokedex entries:

SUICUNE embodies the compassion of a pure spring of water. It runs across the land with gliding elegance. It has the power to purify dirty water.

Said to be the reincarnation of north winds, it can instantly purify filthy, murky water.

We've seen that in the anime too, in the 4th movie.

Gaiash
28th January 2006, 6:59 PM
His point is that Meganium's breath has healing properties on plant life. Therefore, it was able to heal Grovyle and Tropius.
I know.

Anyway I can wait to see more of Sceptile, especialy his intro scenes.

V Faction
28th January 2006, 7:09 PM
Yes yes, I agree with Suicune. I have absolutely no problem with that power. Of course, I do also give a generous Legendary benefit-of-the-doubt bonus since they are often Godly at times.

To get right down to what I am saying is... They shouldn't have had a problem with providing an attack in place of the PokeDex information. Everything in Pokemon nowadays is taking so much at face value (meaning if it doesn't exist yet, it has a good chance of coming into the Poke World). I'll give you a good example sparked by this morning's new episode: In the Togepi episode, Ash tells Bulbasaur to tickle Psyduck. Right, we all know this. Then, down the line, an actual working Tickle attack is invented. So what happened in the past is no longer necessarily the result of creative thinking and elbow grease. Most stuff in the Pokemon World is now handed to the universe upon a silver plate. Even sometimes residual effects of an attack used in a creative way get blatantly turned into their own move, like with Gyarados' Dragon Rage, which we would now call Twister.

So that's why, in my opinion, they didn't have to go digging through the Dex to some how aid Grovyle. It makes it look like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel (which is untrue, I know). I have no problem with the Dex entries, in part because of the light effect that have on the concrete stuff. I only hope they don't become extensively used, half because some are really insane and half because some bend the established laws.

~Fire&Ice~
28th January 2006, 9:03 PM
Hey does anyone know why the Rhyhorns were chasing Donphan? Did they find Donphan appealing to them or something?

Sceptile Warrior
28th January 2006, 9:27 PM
Charizard722 the Rhyhorns did not want to play with Donphan it seemed to them that it was bothering it.

Gravy
28th January 2006, 9:42 PM
Hey does anyone know why the Rhyhorns were chasing Donphan? Did they find Donphan appealing to them or something?
They thought it was trying to attack their young when they saw it charging at them and scaring them away.
FYI, there were actually 6 Rhyhorn, the younger three and the adults. I just don't know if any of the pictures online make that clear.

Poké_Master
28th January 2006, 10:58 PM
Yay! Grovyle evolved! After 96 episodes with Ash, it needed to evolve

JazzJazz
28th January 2006, 11:04 PM

A pokemon being with someone and not evolving for 96 episodes is nothing compared with some other examples from the anime.

Gaiash
28th January 2006, 11:45 PM
needed? No its didn't NEED to evolve at all, but I like Sceptile anyway so its all good. But seriously Grovyle was awesome as it was and hopefully once it remembers its attacks Sceptile will be just as if not more awesome than it was as Grovyle.

Geodude
29th January 2006, 12:29 AM
OK, V Faction, to take what you're saying to the next level, maybe in the D/P games Meganium will have Aromatherapy, or even a new move that heals the HP of another in the games instead of just status.

V Faction
29th January 2006, 12:34 AM
Heh, maybe ^_^ But you never know! That's the scary part!!!

Just as long as we don't get a Pokemon with "Has the ability to cure Cancer" in its Dex...

Kazuki Mirai
29th January 2006, 12:35 AM
Wow, this is very new. Whenever a Pokemon evolves, usually it triumphs. But this is unique, it got beaten repeatedly instead of kicking butt. I wonder why the writers didn't do that before. >> I don't blame Sceptile, his pride was broken when Meganium is in love with Tropius, it felt like he has nothing to fight for. Yup. The writers are coming up with new elements in Battle Frontier, Ash got two powerhouses, Sceptile and Donphan, well, until Sceptile regain its pride. We'll see you on your 'revival' episode, Sceptile! ^_^

Yup, I knew it, just as expected, following the ol' Pokemon element, like with that Totodile love episode, the Brock and Suzie episode, etc. But usually, characters/Pokemon get over it instantly but it has became a different case for Sceptile. *Nods*

JazzJazz
29th January 2006, 1:28 AM
Yup, I knew it, just as expected, following the ol' Pokemon element, like with that Totodile love episode, the Brock and Suzie episode, etc. But usually, characters/Pokemon get over it instantly but it has became a different case for Sceptile. *Nods*

It is different for sceptile as we'll see the effects of its rejection in another episode, I wonder if meowth will comment that he knows how it feels (after his similar situation with the persian).

nameless
29th January 2006, 2:37 AM
Treecko itself was still pretty upset from the Gulpin episode which carried over into it's evolution episode.

greta_lover
29th January 2006, 2:52 AM
I think the rejection might have a effect on how it battles in the future eps.

~Meitantei Starlight*~
29th January 2006, 2:52 AM
I really liked this episode. Imo, I thought i was cool how Grovyle evolved. It was almost as if it were out of jelously (Oh wait, actually I think it was to save Meganium XDD) Now, except for Corphish, Ash has a team of fully evolved Pokemon (Pikachu doesn't count >.>)

What I would like to know is why can't he attack after he evolved? I don't think the problem is ever solved either...

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
29th January 2006, 4:58 PM
Well while begining to watch the episode I noticed when Brock threw his Pokeballs Foretresses one was from Kurt. I can't remember the name of the ball though. I know he caught Pineco with that ball but if they can actually remember to draw that one instead of the regular pokeball, to me I think that they still remember he has one more of those balls laying around.

Jash Thor
29th January 2006, 8:19 PM
I have to get this off my chest...this is the best lineup Ash has ever had. It really is. I know there's that annoying lack of a fire type, but his current team is really the most diverse and well-assembled team the writers have ever thrown together. Now that the writers have seem to gotten over their fear of evolution, is it still to much to ask that they give Corphish a little help?

As for the episode, it's one of the best there's been in a while. It provides an alternate version of evolution, a less-glorified one, that works terrifically as serious character development for Grovyle. Bravo. Let's hope this keeps up.

V Faction
29th January 2006, 9:45 PM
Well while begining to watch the episode I noticed when Brock threw his Pokeballs Foretresses one was from Kurt. I can't remember the name of the ball though. I know he caught Pineco with that ball but if they can actually remember to draw that one instead of the regular pokeball, to me I think that they still remember he has one more of those balls laying around.
Fast Ball.

By this point, they've given up on Brock's Heavy Ball.

Yamato-san
30th January 2006, 2:15 AM
Fast Ball.

By this point, they've given up on Brock's Heavy Ball.

Sorry for going further off-topic, but why the hell did Takeshi even get that thing in the first place? Far as I recall, Satoshi protected that tree from Rocket Dan, and then the Brown Apricorn fell into his hands with Chie commenting that it's the tree's way of saying thanks (the Blue Apricorns, meanwhile, Satoshi and Kasumi simply picked). It was like "there's three balls, there's three people in the group, let's evenly distribute them", not taking into account who it was that collected them in the first place before they were processed into balls.

Ethereal
30th January 2006, 2:45 AM
ANYWAYS, back on topic...

I liked this episode, for the most part. It was a pretty funny episode. One thing I still find weird is that people eat Tropius's banana (rofl. Innuendo). They're munching on it's body. o.O

Anywho...The expressions on Grovyle's face during various moments of the episode were hilarious. Same for Sceptile when he couldn't attack.

Donphan also looked really cute in the episode. It was extremely humorous seeing the expressions on the Rhyhorn's faces. XD

Geodude
5th February 2006, 7:46 AM
I'm pretty sure this wasn't mentioned yet, but something I liked about the way Grovyle defeated Tropius, battling on its own, was that it was highly reminiscient of the way it defeated Winona's Altaria, battling under Ash. Shows that Grovyle has learned a thing or two from Ash. :)

Magus
5th February 2006, 7:48 AM
I liked this episode, for the most part. It was a pretty funny episode. One thing I still find weird is that people eat Tropius's banana (rofl. Innuendo). They're munching on it's body. o.O
Grass-types are plant/animal hybrids. That's wierd in itself. Some of them having edible fruit growing on them isn't any wierder.

pikachu95
12th February 2006, 12:53 AM
;254; I think it's cool that Grovyle Evolves because he has been a Grovyle for so long but I am disapointed that he stops being able to use attacks

Heracross
12th February 2006, 1:00 AM
I thought it was a great twist that Jukain forgot all his attacks. It was a nice change from the usual "pokémon evolves and kicks a*s with its newfound awesomeness" routine.

Yamato-san
27th August 2006, 12:36 AM
sub's been released (don't ask where it is). Enjoy this small preview.

Tropius being territorial. (http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/Yamato-san/vlcsnap-4582799.png)

Data entry for Jukain. (http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/Yamato-san/vlcsnap-4583779.png)

Nyaasu launches the dreaded Habusabo. XD (http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/Yamato-san/vlcsnap-4584159.png)

You want a more detailed script explaining it instead of the gist of it as was stated here? Then watch and find out. (http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/Yamato-san/vlcsnap-4586160.png)

Gravy
27th August 2006, 12:50 AM
Meowth: Don't you get it brat-boy?! Juptile's in heat!!
Ash: Eh? But...he's clearly in the shade of that large tree!

As awesome as it sounds, I couldn't help but laugh a little at that 'as sharp as a Katana' line in Sceptile's dex entry. So, what, we're to assume that Sceptile's opponents have all had skin of steel or something? :p

Anyone 4 Buttons?
31st August 2006, 7:31 PM
I enjoyed that episode quite a bit. I thought it was great how oblivious Satoshi was to Juptile's 'love', you would have thought he'd recognise infatuation after all these years with Takeshi, wouldn't you?
Team Rocket's slogan should continually have Nyarth replaced by Manene in my opinion...in fact, why not replaced full-stop?

Ashy Boy
1st September 2006, 4:29 PM
I can't believe Grovyle had the Brock syndrome (meaning being flirty towards a girl). In Grovyle's case, he fell in love with a Meganium who loved the Tropius much more.

I felt really sorry for Sceptile when it evolved. Not only was he unable to save the Meagnium but also he was easily defeated by Cacnea and Seviper due to the loss of attacks.

Cedric's_Memory
15th October 2006, 2:33 AM
I hope the English Dubbers don't screw this one up. Well then again they did name it The Odd Pokemon Out! which is plain bizarre. Really good evolution episode and hormonish episode

Purplepassion
22nd October 2006, 8:35 PM
oh yi it is dissapointing that sceptile can't use attacks but the episode makes me jealous

TotodileCharizard
22nd October 2006, 8:37 PM
Oh gosh, I have been looking forward to this episode for months, I am so hoping they don't find a way to screw it up big time. Gosh....

BattleFranky~40
22nd October 2006, 8:42 PM
Well then again they did name it The Odd Pokemon Out! which is plain bizarre
It refers to Grovyle being the "odd man out" in the relationship of Tropius and Meganium

Endoplasmic Reticulum
27th October 2006, 3:47 PM
change the title, it's now called "odd Pokemon out"

CaptainBrain
28th October 2006, 3:54 PM
Poor Sceptile, he can't use any attacks. :(

Anyway, it was a great episode. :)

WaterDragon trainer
28th October 2006, 3:55 PM
This episode was good. The Boss Fantasy was just ok. It was funny when Mime Jr kept pushing Meowth outta the way during their motto. Also with Meganium runing PAST Grovyle. It was awesome to see Grovyle evolve. Poor Sceptile getting owned.

Juputoru
28th October 2006, 3:56 PM
Only managed to catch the end portion of it, but I caught a few important things:
-Meganium and Tropius kept their JP voices. Not surprising, given that both have the same names in English and Japanese(and Tropius doesn't say its name in the first place)
-Grovyle sounds a tad better than its old voice. Horrah! ...too bad we're not going to see it again, but hey...
-Sceptile sounds good. Much better than Grovyle. Then again, maybe I'm less hard on it since it's only the evo of my favorite Pokemon. :p
-So I've been saying Tropius correctly if I was aiming for Japanese but incorrectly if I was aiming for English. >> (with a long o, instead of a short o as in "tropical")

No other comments since I've heard this all before, except for this: Sceptile turned out much better than anyone'd hoped for at first("Going from Grovyle to THAT chunky thing? They must be kidding!" being what I remember thinking about it before seeing what it actually turned out to be), so I'm pleased.

AngelLatias
28th October 2006, 3:59 PM
I just finished watching it. ;__: Poor Sceppy... <3 Not only did he lose Meganium, he can't even use his attacks.

BattleFranky~40
28th October 2006, 4:13 PM
Meganium running past Grovyle, and the aftermath of Grovyle being stunned= priceless.

Ash6K
28th October 2006, 4:18 PM
Poor Sceppy, being heartbroken and then not using attacks. Anyway, the part with Ash in it....wow he's clueless. I mean it's not a bad thing, but it is hilarious!

Mandi.
28th October 2006, 4:26 PM
Meganium running past Grovyle, and the aftermath of Grovyle being stunned= priceless.

Totally.

I was laughing the whole time during that. xD But I did feel bad for poor Grovyle. Poor thing was just standing there, while Ash and everybody came. And then Ash, so dense, didn't know what was wrong. xD

But this was a great episode. They just keep getting better and better.

Pika Hikari KT
28th October 2006, 4:35 PM
BTW, this is the VERY first use of Growl in the animé. Friggin' GROWL.XD

Drummerdude
28th October 2006, 4:38 PM
I thought when Meganium ran past Grovyle was hilarious.:D
Did it sound like everyone was saying Septle instead of Sceptile to anyone else?

CaptainBrain
28th October 2006, 4:42 PM
The "c" is silent. As in the the word Scent.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
28th October 2006, 4:49 PM
The "c" is silent. As in the the word Scent.

And pretty much any other word with the letters s and c in succession. I don't know why people think it's "Skep-tile", despite pretty much every other like it having the c as silent.

?*V Tsun*?
The 8th Champion

ShinyManafi
28th October 2006, 5:00 PM
Poor Sceptile and Grovyle, he was shot down bad, and the n not being able to use attacks,

*Stand strong Sceptile!*

Meganium doesnt even look like his type
*This says Sceptile's a male*

BattleFranky~40
28th October 2006, 5:05 PM
And... it wasn't obvious before that Treecko was male?

Lil Brother
28th October 2006, 5:18 PM
By far the best part of the episode was Ash telling Brock that he had no idea what he was talking about in the romance department. XD Poor clueless Ash.

Pokemon Fan
28th October 2006, 5:47 PM
BTW, this is the VERY first use of Growl in the animé. Friggin' GROWL.XD
Actually, Mareep used Growl back in "Mild and Woolly" (sp?) in Johto.

<><><>

Anyway, a great episode. Meganium was too cute and my fears about Sceptile's voice can rest easy. I think it sounds even better than it did as a Grovyle. Grovyle's voice tone in its reactions was also quite nice and comboed well with the animation. I don't think we've EVER seen a pokemon mentally and emotionally break down quite that hard before, no wonder it lost its ability to use attacks.

On another positive note I think Ash's voice actor improved slightly in this episode. Its almost acceptable now. :)

Rashdan
28th October 2006, 5:49 PM
XD Finally, it's in english. I watched it in Japanese over a month ago.

Interestingly, that was the first time Grovyle/Sceptile showed some attraction to the opposite gender.

Pika Hikari KT
28th October 2006, 6:36 PM
Actually, Mareep used Growl back in "Mild and Woolly" (sp?) in Johto.
Hit me, I haven't watched Johto in a while.>_<

Oh, and seems that was Sweet Scent and not Growl, which makes a lot more sense. Translator made another oopsie...-_-;

Hikarii
28th October 2006, 6:59 PM
Nurse Joy: "Sceptile is only suffering from a broken heart."
Ash: "I thought evolving fixed that."

Stupid, stupid Satoshi. <33 That's why I love hiiim.

Darkness Angel
28th October 2006, 7:34 PM
I like Sceptile looking forward to when he can use his attacks again.

S.Suikun
28th October 2006, 9:26 PM
And pretty much any other word with the letters s and c in succession. I don't know why people think it's "Skep-tile", despite pretty much every other like it having the c as silent.

?*V Tsun*?
The 8th Champion
Scatter Scam Scream Scratch Scamper Scott Scoot Scoop Screech Scathe Scum

Still, I also always thought it was pretty obvious that Sceptile was pronounced "SEP-TILE" due to his name originating from "Scepter".

Neko Godot
28th October 2006, 9:43 PM
Poor Ash's Pokemon, they never get the girl/guy in the end. But then again, having the clueless Ash as your trainer, it's no surprise.

Poke Master 7
28th October 2006, 11:19 PM
Poor Ash's Pokemon, they never get the girl/guy in the end. But then again, having the clueless Ash as your trainer, it's no surprise.

and yet his Charizared and Bulbasaur get girlfriends when their not with Ash. Any coincidence?
I thought Sceptile was pernounced Skeptile in the Houen League when Tyson used it, but maybe I was just hearing wrong

Cobalt_Latios
29th October 2006, 6:14 AM
and yet his Charizared and Bulbasaur get girlfriends when their not with Ash. Any coincidence?
I thought Sceptile was pernounced Skeptile in the Houen League when Tyson used it, but maybe I was just hearing wrong
Im about to verify that right now.

Yeah, poor Ash. The ONLY character who is clueless in this departement. That's why you have two extra characters who actually understand all of this. I think May might have understood, aswell as Brock. Though the fact that Ash was clueless about love didnt really strike me as odd. In fact i found it funnier like that. He's been like that since... well... the first mention of that topic. And yet he's still the same. Oh well, guess there's some things age doesnt change.

Eh, not bad overall, cool idea for a mecha as a tripod. On that topic, Ash was so clueless Team Rocket had to fill in the "blanks". Grovyle evolving was a given to me, it was when that i wasnt entirely sure about. I doubt anyone else noticed this but when Team Rocket sent out Seviper and Cacnea, the music that was playing is actually quite old. It's the lightning scene in "Pikachu's Rescue Adventure". Cool that i noticed this(pretty sure everyone else did).

Though the evolution was a little slow, because during it, i thought Grovyle's Overgrow ability was activated. Then he was fully glowing then it became apparent.

~C_L~

Medea
29th October 2006, 12:57 PM
An okay episode for the most part...

You know what, the Nurse Joy in this episode reminds me a bit of the Officer Jenny from In The Pink and the Nurse Joy from The Joy of Pokemon (and it has nothing to do with a certain hit list) Um, never mind!

Poor Grovyle/Sceptile! And I'm going to have to disagree with you Kagome Lover. Some of Ash's Pokemon found love (i.e. Butterfree and even Charizard) but some were heartbroken (i.e. Sceptile and Corphish). I think the majority you were thinking about was Brock's pokemon like with Marshtomp and Ludicolo.

chosen_one386
29th October 2006, 7:08 PM
A good episode. Grovyle evolving into Sceptile was cool, but when Grovyle got his heart broken, I felt like crying. It was so sad! :(

Rashdan
29th October 2006, 11:07 PM
Sceptile looks really cool XD And that second battle between Grovyle and Tropius was awesome. Poor Grovyle/Sceptile, losing the "battle of love" as Brock puts it *sniff*

Overall, good episode. I'm glad to be able to watch it again in Engish.

Jorah
30th October 2006, 9:00 PM
I thought Meganium running past Sceptile was rather obvious, but I love this quote

Brock: Grovyle won the game of war and revenge, but lost the game of love
Ash: He won AND he lost? Hey Brock, you've got to learn how to make up your mind

XD

jolteonjak
30th October 2006, 9:16 PM
This was another well-written episode (aside from Meganium using Growl...it looked awfully gassy to be Growl).

Nurse Joy's explanation of Sceptile's "amnesia" satisfied me enough (even though I kinda figured it out anyway).

I know this is a cartoon and all, but you really gotta feel for Grovyle/Sceptile. Poor guy found love, and Meganium runs off with Tropius.

Ash sounded a lot like he did in Season 1 with the lines he had (not voice-wise). All I can picture is Veronica's voice saying the lines.

TotodileCharizard
30th October 2006, 11:20 PM
Two days later and a happy Grovyle/Sceptile fan later!!!!

I watched, I recorded it cause I was asleep when it aired(thank you DVR) so anyways time for my comments.

I have been looking forward to this episode forever and I really liked it. Meganium's voice was cute for me in a non-lesbo attracted way lol. Tropius was awesome(even though I've been saying his name wrong xD) Grovyle was awesome, Seviper was awesome kinda sorta. Mime Jr was funny. Yeah....it was great, good thing I can watch it whenever I want. I loved how Meganium was supposedly running to Grovyle! LAUGH OUT LOUD! Literally, I laughed out loud. xD

TheBuddyBud
31st October 2006, 6:37 AM
they should keep japanese voices for pokemon like meganium and pikachu

jolteonjak
31st October 2006, 2:38 PM
umm...Pikachu IS the original

♥Princess Ketchum♥
31st October 2006, 2:40 PM
i am gonna watch this episode soon! and poor sceptile

Juputoru
31st October 2006, 3:47 PM
As was Meganium. And Tropius. As I said before (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpost.php?p=4656449&postcount=180).

Crimsonmon
31st October 2006, 4:17 PM

I'm pretty sure that he ment that all Pokemon should keep the Japanese voices, and was using those two as an example.

wobbanut
1st November 2006, 3:37 AM
This was a pretty good episode. I felt really bad for Grovyle/Sceptile, falling for meganium like that only to have his heart broken when she went for tropius instead. That scene where Grovyle thinks meganium is running to him reminded me of the Totodile/azumarill scene from "Love Totodile Style". At least Totodile wasn't as traumatized. I'm also glad that the two episodes a week will have us seeing the episode where Sceptile is cured in just a week's time.

Best line: Brock (to Nurse Joy): "I know, why don't you and I take a cue from Mother Nature, too?" Max (dragging Brock away): "I know, why don't you take a cue from brother Max and get lost?" LOL

Overall, 8/10.

Rizadon
4th November 2006, 7:32 AM
I love this ep.....but they proves me wrong. I always said it skep*tile
But its actuall sep*tile, its not the first time its happened....~_~

SheWhoLovesPineapples
10th November 2006, 6:32 PM
I've been mispronouncing Sceptile and Tropius... ^^'

Anyway... pretty good episode. Poor Sceptile... :P

Dang, Ash is dense...

I was gonna say something else, but I forgot! xP

Pacman
3rd December 2006, 8:42 AM
It was a OK episode. Ash getting a Sceptile was cool. That was the only notewrothly thing there.

Knight_Ram
7th December 2006, 11:49 PM
Yeah I agree with you on that one. Im kind of feeling sorry for Sceptile having that heartbreaking experience. 6/10

Griff4815
15th January 2007, 5:28 PM
I'm looking forward to this one since it hasn't aired in Canada, yet. Guess why?

Magmarashi
15th January 2007, 7:06 PM
This episode was okay, I guess.

Ash/Satoshi got his horribly voiced Sceptile. Jukain's voice, name, and persona are cooler.

Roconza
19th January 2007, 7:00 AM
I love this this is my second favorite in BF Sceptile my second favorite pokemon.This one seems odd cause this is a contrast to the way he's normally pro traded.

Btw I like Meganium voice I'm assuming that her real voice

EternalSmasherSceptile
10th February 2007, 9:04 AM
This is my favorite battle frontier episode.
I thought it was really touching, and sad at most points like "Cutting the ties that bind".
I cried for a long time after seeing that episode.
Poor Grovyle/Sceptile is probably scarred for life. :(

Griff4815
23rd July 2007, 4:06 AM
This episode just aired in Canada on YTV a week ago or so.

It was very sad episode but very good.

Am I allowed to revive this thread since it recently was shown in Canada?

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 11:05 PM
OMG >_> Again, Ash's Pokemon doesn't get the girl. I'm getting very tired of this. But at least it evolved into Sceptile, which is cool.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 12:52 PM
grovyle evolved in this episode which should be good, as for the rest it was a decent episode and as usual ash's pokemon remain single:P

Blue Snover
20th April 2009, 12:36 PM
I loved this episode.

Grovyle evolved and i got to see 2 of my favourite Pokemon, Tropius and Meganium.

They made a cute couple actually.

Ash-kid
16th December 2009, 3:45 PM
I was very sad for Grovyle....poor.

but Tropius and Meganium were a couple.. so Grovyle needs to go on.

4/10

firestar319
22nd December 2009, 7:01 PM
Nice little episode.
Grovyle and Meganium should've been together. I don't see what that Meganium saw in that Tropius...

Lorde
25th December 2009, 9:44 PM
Huh, a Grovyle episode, and it was actually good. But why didn't they make this one take place in the Safari Zone for us here in the U.S. who never got to see the Kanto Safari Zone? Boo. Anyway, I was glad that Grovyle was taken down a peg in this episode. It always acted so cool and then it gets it's Poke-heart broken when the Pokemon it had a crush on, moved on to another Pokemon. I loved it. Grovyle's evolution was sort of unexpected though. Evolution always makes even the worst episodes good. 6/10.

Willow's Tara
26th May 2010, 8:24 AM
Not a bad episode, it was nice to see Troipus have an episode for once (It was in the League though too), I want to see it fly though.

How it is everytime one of their Pokemon falls in love it evolves? (Lombre being one and another Pokemon too. Then there's Zubat to Golbat when Brock wanted to stay with that doctor), nice for Groyvle to evolve even if I am not a fan of Sceptile.

ZangooseLord
14th August 2010, 6:27 AM
Y'know, Ash can be a real dunce sometimes.
Brock: Grovyle won the battle, but lost at the game of love.
Ash: How can you win and lose at the same time? Make up your mind, Brock.

Also, that combination Tropius and Meganium used at the end... the Gust & Razor Leaf... could that have been a predecessor to Leaf Storm? It seems logical...

Painkiller2001
7th December 2010, 8:50 PM
Just saw the pics of this episode and I have a feeling that this episode is going to be a hoot! Can't wait to see it in motion!

Edit: Grovyle is officially my newest favorite Pokemon! His antics in this episode were just hilarious!
That was cute when he first saw Meganium in the Pokemon Center! Awwwwww! I've always wanted to see a Pokemon like Grovyle fall in love like that!
That sucks when he was dumped for a Tropius! Poor Grovyle!
I hope Ash can get Sceptile's attack power back!

Lance The Champ
17th December 2010, 10:57 AM
I thought a tough pokemon like Grovyle should not go so crazy in love..... very odd but at least it evolved into Sceptile and got rid of its silly crush

G50
26th April 2011, 12:25 PM
This episode was ok... It was great to see Grovyle finally evolve into Sceptile. Too bad Sceptile ended up really struggling to be able to use its attacks after being heartbroken by Meganium. It was cool to see Meganium and Tropius again. In a way, Tropius and Meganium really do look like a cute couple.

19/100

Littlemyuu
14th June 2011, 2:53 AM
my most time favorite episode of all times! poor grovyle got its heart broken but did his ultimate best to help Meganium..Sceptile is one awesome Pokemon!

Vernikova
13th September 2012, 8:27 PM
An uninteresting episode. Grovyle evolved but it wasn't very interesting because it isn't an interesting Pokemon.

TheSirPeras
25th September 2012, 10:31 PM
I liked this episode, Grovyle's evolution was pretty cool. It reminded me of Meowth's crush in Kanto for the other Meowth, where he beats Persian and the female runs to Persian. It was a cool episode, imo

Shayminslicker
24th April 2013, 8:01 AM
I liked this episode.

I found it to be one of those comedy-romance episodes just because of Grovyles reaction near the end (I loved that face!)

The Power of Pika
12th May 2013, 4:12 PM
Poor grovyle. Though I really loved the episode.

I personally loved the part where Mime jr. was stealing all of mewoth's lines to a point meowth said "Mime, mime mime"
Then he realised and yelled at mime jr. XD

PokemonNation2000
13th June 2013, 5:59 AM
First off, Ash's voice is just terrible. Hey, I gotta say it.

Conversely, Meowth's voice is really good, though. I really liked Jimmy Zoppi's voice here more for Meowth than in DP or BW. He sounds more like Maddie than ever before here, and I find it a shame he didn't keep this voice. I'm sure with time he could've been just as great with this voice. *sigh*

Nurse Joy's voice actor isn't putting any emotion at all into her performance. Michele Knotz is going for Erica Schroeder's work in S7 and S8, but it pales in comparison to that. It's just so emotionless, IMO.

Everyone else ranged from passable to good, though.

I liked the episode, and I liked the plot. Grovyle evolving into Sceptile was cool to me. Poor Sceptile...fell in love with a Meganium, and had its heart crushed.

That Tropius was a prick. xD.

Dub: 79/100

Dawn+Serena Fan
2nd July 2013, 10:56 PM
This was a pretty good episode. Grovyle appears to be in a love triangle, then evolves when Team Rocket captures that Meganium and Tropius, but can't use any of it's attacks.

PokemontrainerY
21st July 2013, 6:26 PM
I thought This was an OK episode. Seeing Ash's Donphan being playful was nice, too bad the Rhyhorn misunderstood its intentions and started chasing after the gang. The Nurse Joy in this episode was awesome, I liked how she came to the rescue and clamed down the Rhyhorn with her Meganium. She reminds me of the Nurse Joy from "The Joy of Pokémon". It's funny when Brock fell in love with the pretty Nurse Joy and grasped her hands, imagining her as an angle princess. As usual, Max pulled him away from her. Meanwhile, Ash's Grovyle picks fight with a wild Tropius. But that Tropius was so strong that it managed to beat Grovyle up, causing Joy's Meganium to calm them down.

Team Rocket planning to send a Pokémon to Giovanni was not surprising. This time it's the wild Tropius they're aiming for. So they tried to ask Tropius to come along with them, But It appears that Tropius has fallen in love with Meganium and it was willing to go with them— if Meganium comes along! But Tropius wasn't the only one who was in love with Meganium. After Meganium took care of Grovyle at the Pokémon Center, he was in love with her as well! Grovyle wanted to proved himself a strong Pokémon to impress Meganium, but since Tropius defeated him before, he wasn't happy about it. So he left for a rematch with Tropius. It's awesome when Grovyle beat Troupius in the rematch, sadly Meganium was love with that wild Troupis.... not Grovyle. It totally broke Poor Grovyle's heart. All of a sudden Team Rocket kidnaps Tropius and Meganium, and it causes Grovyle to evolves into SCEPTILE?! Whoa, it sure was an unexpected evolution. I didn't see it coming in this episode. Oh well, It's great that Grovyle finally evolved into Sceptile, but at the same time.... it's pretty depressing to see Sceptile being unable to use any of his moves. It's pretty clear that Sceptile's heartbreak was the reason behind this. What did Meganium saw in that stupid Tropius anyway? Grovyle was clearly stronger than Tropius and he liked her too... but Meganium HAD to go with that jerk Tropius! *Sigh*... I guess it was done for the plot's sake. Oh well, at least Ash showed some concern over Sceptile's condition. Even Nurse Joy assured him, that Sceptile will get over it at some point. Before saying goodbye, Brock took Nurse Joy's hands and tried to hit on her once more..... only to be pulled away by Max again! Sometimes Brock's flirting gets annoying, but hey, that's Brock for ya.

In the end, Ash was standing at the front of the boat and looking at Sceptile's Pokéball. Maybe he realized why Sceptile can't use its moves anymore. Poor Sceptile.

Painkiller2001
16th November 2014, 5:17 AM
I think out of all of these 'Pokemon-A-falls-in-love-with-Pokemon-B-but-Pokemon-B-is-really-in-love-with-Pokemon-C episodes, this one (unless I'm forgetting one I have seen that was better) is still my top favorite one. :)

That's right, this is also the episode where, once Grovyle evolved, Sceptile couldn't use any of it's attacks because of a broken heart. Poor Sceptile/ :(