PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you write you strories on paper before typing them?

Ace Kenshader
28th January 2006, 6:04 PM
I write my stories on paper first so that I can edit it on MS words, and the fact that whenever I get writers block, I don't stare at the computer screen all day and giving pain to my eyes.

IceKing
28th January 2006, 6:09 PM
I tried doing that after it worked successfully once for a one shot (which I never finished), but I found I had less quality writing because I wasn't as focused. Perhaps I should try writing fics out again one day, though I'd be killing a lot of trees since I write a lot XD

CHeSHiRe-CaT
28th January 2006, 6:11 PM
Nah, I have to type my stories. I'm a much faster typer than I write, so that's partially the main reason why. The other reason is that MS Word automatically corrects me if I spell something wrong, or make a grammatical error.

However, I remember when I was writing "The Pokémon Detective" that I used to write chapters on paper, including the first. Mostly because my mom gave me the boot from the computer :P I do actually write my chapter summaries on paper, if available, that way I plan ahead for what's to come.

EDIT: Timber 8D

Shadowcat
28th January 2006, 6:12 PM
No. If I have to write out in my tiny, neat handwriting, THEN type out on MS Word... My hands would ache... Yes...

I tried that once, but for a Prologue...

And boy, my hands ached...

I just think up of ideas, write 'em down, before typing out a Chapter on MS Word...

Just the idea, not the chapter...

Burnt Flower
28th January 2006, 6:12 PM
Well, I do keep a journal where I write all my ideas and the events that are going to happen in the fic, but I don't actually write the whole fic itself in its pages. :P

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix
28th January 2006, 6:16 PM
Iwrite on paper most of The time, cause when i get over writers block, I'm, most of the time, at school. That my friends, is wht I keep like four notebooks with me at all times in school.

Timid Kyogre
28th January 2006, 6:16 PM
Nah, I don't. Writing on computers is better, I tried it once and I got a bit tired of it.

~Timid Kyogre

PDL
28th January 2006, 6:22 PM
of course not... my handwriting is almost unreadable and my hand tires after only 5 sentences. Poor handwriting was one of the reasons why I hated writing initially.

typing is far far easier for me.

Ace Kenshader
28th January 2006, 8:12 PM
Why do I have this sudden feeling that I might be the only one that actually writes strories on paper first.

Saffire Persian
28th January 2006, 8:27 PM
I rarely write any of my story on paper, maybe small notes, or when I have no access to the computer and want to write, I might write a small amount on paper, but other than that, I stay farrr away from writing on paper. One of the reasons is that I'm a fast typer, and that I have notoriously bad handwriting that I loathe. ^_^

JoJo@210
28th January 2006, 8:32 PM
My hand gets a little tired at times but I do write ideas for my fic if I don't have my laptop with me. I write the idea and plot for my next chapter then I start to type it out while filling any gaps or improvements I can make for my fic. So yeah sometimes yes.

Dragonfree
28th January 2006, 8:51 PM
I once did it on a plane where I didn't have a computer but was extremely inspired, but I like typing. I'd rather do it on the computer from the start.

Sike Saner
28th January 2006, 9:10 PM
*nods* Absolutely. I originally wrote TOoS and what would become Communication on paper because I didn't have a computer back then. Even now that I do have one, I still always make hard copies because...well, this computer has had a very rocky history, to say the least. XD It's had to go to the shop no fewer than three times, and it has suffered more than one instance of data loss. So I do always make hard copies, in writing the chapter in a notebook first, in priniting it out afterwards, or both, just as a precaution. I just don't trust technology very much. XD

Chibi Pika
28th January 2006, 9:40 PM
I used to, but it just seemed too unefficient. I'd always change things, and my typing is slow, so it just made chapters take twice as long. =/

~Chibi~;249;<?>;rukario;

Exel 4.0
28th January 2006, 9:40 PM
Nope, but I have a good reason. I got a cruddy little laptop for Christmas one year that can't even access the net. I just write them on there. It doesn't even have a word processor.

I haven't actually put any fics in the forum yet. I don't think I'm good enough.

Saya
28th January 2006, 10:40 PM
Yup, I do. For me it's just easier to write on paper, I don't know why. *shrugs* I find that my writing is better when I write it out and then type it. It's just how I work. Strange, I know.
Plus, the upside is that I can write anywhere I want to then, so if I get a sudden inspiration at school I can just begin to write in my notebook. I have so many notebooks full of writings of mine since third grade it's not even funny.

Negrek
28th January 2006, 11:08 PM
I only occasionally write my stories out on paper first, and then only when I don't have access to my computer. That may be while on vacation or while I'm at school, but it's rare. I write at about a slugma's pace but type very fast, so in general it just makes more sense for me to word process from the get-go.

Keleri
28th January 2006, 11:08 PM
I did that once when I went on a trip, I was away from my computer but still felt like writing... and when I got back I didn't want to type it up. =] So, no. It always goes straight from my brain to Word.

Xiang
28th January 2006, 11:11 PM
Erm, no. I only doodle on paper when I'm bored, and work on my fiction (no fan in that word), which is on paper, when I'm not in the mood for YNA. I don't have the patience, and I type six times faster than my speed of handwriting. My handwriting is really neat, but neatness isn't everything. :/

ShadowCloud62
28th January 2006, 11:18 PM
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Usually I type my stories, takes less time. But, if I'm in school or just don't feel like booting up the computer, I just write manually. However, I'm left-handed, and I tend to smudge when I write, pen or pencil, and it annoys me. So I usually type.

Ryusuke Hikari
29th January 2006, 7:55 PM
No. I always type it out first thing. Although, there might be times when I'm not able to catch an error. So, I just write it out. But, I don't think that's happening anytime soon. ^_^

Psychic
29th January 2006, 8:45 PM
The problem with me is that I get bursts of inspiration to write something, and when I do, I write it down as soon as possible. I don't usually have a computer, so I write it down on paper. In school, I bring a folder to all my classes, filled with homework, but I also keep anything I write in it, so if we have a substiture one class, I can try and work on something.

I mostly have beginnings of stories- One-Shots, chaptered novels (usually fanfics)- but I've also written notes on happenings that take place in the middle of my stories, like The Mutations, or even just facts about the enviornment of a character.

But I just really find paper to be handy, and I use it quite often for when I get ideas and such. I always recopy whatever I have onto the computer, though, because I'm always bound to make spelling/grammar mistakes, and I often reword things.

~Psychic

Seiryu
29th January 2006, 10:06 PM
Well, about a year ago I attempted writing out the first chapter for one of my fanfics on paperbut it was really messy. My handwriting wasn't the problem, though; I just had words crossed out everywhere, personal notes and additions filling the margins, and I wrote in pen. >..>;; And I don't know if it really counts now; I never actually typed it up, and I completely scrapped that particular chapter idea for something better.

Since then, I haven't written anything story-related down on paper--possibly because I don't feel the need to do so. I have over ten different major plotlines for various stories in my head, but they're all perfectly organized, and I haven't forgotten any of them in the year (and a half, for some) that I've been planning them.

Jetx
2nd February 2006, 6:58 PM
No, I believe it wastes time, I'm faster on computers. And I don't enjoy writing (on paper). It's MS word all the way, my little paperclip guy cheers me up when i get a little bored. LOL.

I suppose if my computer broke I'd do it, but I only use paper when no computers are around. Brainstorming, maybe, but writing, no, not really.

The Red Butterfly
2nd February 2006, 11:12 PM
well I always start on paper then type but when I did my first chapter of The Diary of an Invisible Trainer I just typed it out of no where. I guess it depends on if i'm in a writing or typeing mood!!

Sempris
2nd February 2006, 11:56 PM
Jetx:
It's MS word all the way, my little paperclip guy cheers me up when i get a little bored. LOL.

Lmao. I have teh cat. :P <3

I have to write my plots on sheet of paper first, then I write the actual story on MS. I find that I like it better that way. >>;

indigestible_wad
3rd February 2006, 2:02 AM
I do. It's much easier to write in school that way. Something to take time off your hands during "free day." Of course the only downside to that is after I write something down on paper I generally just lose interest in it and never type it out.

Ace Kenshader
3rd February 2006, 2:35 AM
well I always start on paper then type but when I did my first chapter of The Diary of an Invisible Trainer I just typed it out of no where. I guess it depends on if i'm in a writing or typeing mood!!

Ok that's strange, for the prologue of my story Nature's Children, I didn't wrote it at all.

The whole idea of it just slammed into my mind and I immediatly typed it down.

Avenger Angel
3rd February 2006, 3:28 AM
I do all my writing on the computer, and have been doing it that way for eight years now. Simply enough, I don't like dealing with papers, they're easy to lose and keep in order, while typing on MS Word keeps it neat. Sure, you could have your file corrupt, but then again, that's the beauty of posting it on a forum I guess.

Ryano Ra
3rd February 2006, 4:16 AM
o.o;; I do too much writing during school, and I definitely refrain from writing my stories down on paper. For one, I type fast, and two, writing a chapter would mean like making half of a notebook just one single chapter altogether. XD I write relatively long chapters, and when you write out the chapters first, and then type, it makes it seem a bit less for my goal. XD But yes, I definitely don't even try writing stories down. That's what schooltime is for. n_n

T.W. North
3rd February 2006, 8:53 AM
Only if I'm bored during class, otherwise - no. It's a waste of paper, ink and energy. Much easier just to type it and let the computer correct me, although that does mean I'm not a brilliant speller/grammatist....meh.

katiekitten
3rd February 2006, 2:29 PM
Well, I tend to write the beginnings of chapters for Phoenix on paper first, then type them out. But I change so much as I type, they are hardly the same. For instance, I wrote four pages in my notebook and began to type it out. It has taken four pages on word and I haven't reached where I was, and I have changed the whole beginning. I guess it is just a way of getting the ideas out of my head and seeing how it looks like, so I can edit it easier. For my one shot, I just typed it straight out. Let go, just typed what ever came to my mind. It seemed to work, although I think I will stick with writing it out. That is probably why it take so long for me to write the chapters... O.o

Literate
4th February 2006, 4:55 AM
I do and....don't. Okay, I write stories on paper but I'm too lazy to type it all out. Whenever I like the story but don't type it out, I keep the sheet of paper for later, for some reason. I just think stories are good on paper. Whenever I type, I seem to just.... take a long time thinking, but that's what I also do on the computer. Bah, I don't know what to think anymore. I have two ideas for pokemon fan-fics, but I'm working on only one. One is typed, the other one is on the sheets of paper I have all jumbled up and in a total messed up order. Yeah, that's why I didn't type it. I get all... confused.

Matt Silver
4th February 2006, 5:11 AM
I only jot ideas down on paper, like in the middle of class.
I type cause its faster and easier.

Ace Kenshader
4th February 2006, 5:34 AM
Holy crap, I've never expected this poll to get over 400 views within short time.

Magneto
5th February 2006, 3:09 AM
My writing comes in jolts of inspiration, so no. I sometimes write the whole story out in the post box.

lisalover
5th February 2006, 7:29 AM
For me when i write a bacis guide line for the chapter at hand in a notebook consisting of main ideas and what's gonna happen, but not the whole story. Then i type up the story on word and post it. So i think that a combinatoin of writing in a notebook and typing is the best way to go.

pisces_beedrill
6th February 2006, 3:17 PM
I write my stories on paper first so that I can edit it on MS words, and the fact that whenever I get writers block, I don't stare at the computer screen all day and giving pain to my eyes.
same as me. i cannot just type straight on comp!

Praxiteles
7th February 2006, 2:06 PM
I always type my stories. For some reason, I can write better that way, and anyways, I'm too lazy to write with a pen.

pisces_beedrill
7th February 2006, 4:11 PM
well, when i type directly onto comp. i miss all detail, creating a less-than-perfect-story

icemew
8th February 2006, 4:43 AM
Wow, I always write everything beforehand, then type it up afterward. Usually at school. Once I have the main thing down, it's easier to add in stuff when I type it up, plus, I catch mistakes better.

Kenouni Renashin
8th February 2006, 12:48 PM
Why do I have this sudden feeling that I might be the only one that actually writes strories on paper first.

You're not.
I write my stories out on paper first.
This is probably because I hardly ever get around to typing them up. >.<
I prefer to sit at a computer and type straight from my head, rather than copying up my work, becasue it takes me twice as long...this could be another reason why I don't type my stuff up.

;249; Kenouni Renashin ;250;