PDA

View Full Version : Fan Art Banners

Infinity
29th January 2006, 9:23 AM
I know I am definitely going to score a couple points with some people in the Fan Art forums now, heh.

As you may know some people have been making banners and claiming them as their own for some time. My problem is many use copyrighted official art and not even credit their original source where they got it from. I'm afraid that is pretty wrong. I feel in the main Fan Art forum everything that is posted there should be collaborations at maximum. I don't mean to offend people, but much of the time those effect given to banners are relatively easily done and people just put copyrighted art in the midst of it.

What I am asking for is the end of banners that contain any ripped art claimed as your own or at least having people give credit where it is due.

Sorry if I don't make much sense, it's 3:19 AM.

Ilex
1st February 2006, 6:20 AM
Yesh, this and pokesho theft have been picking at the back of my brain for quite some time now. It is no different than actual art theft. Either make the person give credit in their sigs or directly on the banner.

RaZoR LeAf
1st February 2006, 12:39 PM
If you see somone who has uncredited art in their sig (particularly, Coronis' 4th gen or Manga sprites, or Pokesho images) please report that person to a supermod, and provide a link, as their signature is breaking the rules.

Ilex
3rd February 2006, 6:23 AM
Well, even in my sig, I never gave credit to the images in my banner. Is there a fine line between stealing and not? If so, where is it at?

Infinity
3rd February 2006, 7:03 AM
Well for one you are not claiming it as your own, I have problems with people who say that they made the entire thing and should receive all of the credit for it.

Iveechan
7th February 2006, 8:33 AM
Don't forget, Suta Raito or however that's called get's commonly ripped off too. She's makes the semi-Disney style Pokemon, and they're more commonly seen as stand-alone pics in someone's sig than a banner.

Just wondering, but how does this stand on the official Sugimori artwork? Nobody has a problem using the official work everywhere, but people get into a tizzy over fan art being ripped.