PDA

View Full Version : Talk about a swear bypass here...

Kal-El
30th January 2006, 12:05 PM
I was just reading through the Newbie Help thread and I got to the terms section and was slightly appauled.

For about four of the abbreviations, the f word was used fully with no censor. What's going on? Is this really good for encouraging newbies? They may think it's alright to use that word on here if they read that part (Not that they often do).

LINK:
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpost.php?p=2214148&postcount=3

Fox
30th January 2006, 12:46 PM
Well, its just telling people what those abbreviations mean. That's all. Not using the words in any degrading or such manner. If they were censored, people would still wonder what those words meant.

RaZoR LeAf
30th January 2006, 1:35 PM
The thread is there to help people, and in my experience, people don't read the first page, and end up filling the tpic with meaningless rubbish. To stop people replying with "what does the F stand for in STFU?" I put the words in full. Also since the words are not directed toards anyone,it's not really wrong. Anyone can look in a modern dictionary and find the words.

Kal-El
30th January 2006, 9:52 PM
Oh okay I guess you have a point. Fair enough.

IMPERIAL DRAGON
30th January 2006, 10:35 PM
Itís a far better alternative than allowing the blissfully unaware to go on the pilgrimage of truth ;) seriously though, chill out dude, swearing itself isnít really the issue, itís the people and how they choose to use it. If someone is stupid enough to abuse the abbreviations or post swearing infested examples of spam, theyíll get dealt with accordingly, so try not to worry about it because there is a necessary system to handle that stuff.

Prelude
30th January 2006, 11:59 PM
Well, it doesn't really point towards anyone, as RaZoR LeAf said, and the F in STFU is just used to "enhance" the phrase/command "shut up". And swearing isn't really bad for the newbies. Most people here are about 12 or older. Swearing here shouldn't really be a problem, unless it's pointed towards someone.

Amadeus
31st January 2006, 2:51 AM
Well, it doesn't really point towards anyone, as RaZoR LeAf said, and the F in STFU is just used to "enhance" the phrase/command "shut up". And swearing isn't really bad for the newbies. Most people here are about 12 or older. Swearing here shouldn't really be a problem, unless it's pointed towards someone.
SHUT THE UP!

Heh, kidding, but you can see where we'd be, leaving words out here and there.
As long as it's under the right circumstances, even the most sheltered kid isn't being exposed to more than from, say, their parent dropping a book on their toe letting out some colorful terminology.

Prelude
31st January 2006, 3:05 AM
No, we can just shut up! or get out! instead of shut the **** up or get the **** out...you can say that cussing just "enhances" the conversation...at least it gets your attention...

MidnightScott
31st January 2006, 3:58 AM
Well when I wrote that thing about Jack Thompson ofcourse I sweared. I called him a heartless prick or something xD

~Scott;229;

Amadeus
1st February 2006, 4:01 AM
No, we can just shut up! or get out! instead of shut the **** up or get the **** out...you can say that cussing just "enhances" the conversation...at least it gets your attention...
I was only kidding. I wouldn't think much of it.
I would talk to someone such as an Admin or Smod about it, as that would probably be more productive.

Brown Bomber
1st February 2006, 4:20 AM
****, you people are too sensitive.

RandomCharizard
1st February 2006, 4:45 AM
-______-

Hahahahaha. Do you realy think ANYONE is going to find it offensive? Sure some people might, but about .5% will. What about 99.5% of the other members here? The term **** is not a death word. Especially when it isnt even written out in a abbvrebiation, and just the first letter is. Again, as said before, the "f word" is not offensive. I also find it funny that it is the only word known as the "F word". Also, 75% of the people here are teen Teens curse, A LOT. And 20% are 10-12 year olds, who should already know it. Now, I'm going out of line about how the "swear" isnt offensive, so I'll go straight to the original point.

People use that word all the time. Hell, some people evade the censor. Its because they're are mature enough to actually say it, and not go "LOL F- WORD." and because it usually ends a point.

Well thats it.
Bye.

RaZoR LeAf
1st February 2006, 12:36 PM
OK closing this now before it turns into more of an excuse for people to spam or swear .