PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Combusken! (439)

Serebii
2nd February 2006, 4:27 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/439.jpgPokémon Contest! Yuzuhira Convention!

On Yuzuhira Island, May finds Drew & The Pokémon Contest so she can get a second attempt to get her third Ribbon. On the island May meets a new Co-Ordinator who really admires Drew. May decides to enter the contest with her trusty Combusken & her freshly trained Munchlax. Will she beat this new Co-Ordinator or will she suffer a second loss in a row?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/439.shtml)

Discuss

MaskedManAbsolkid
2nd February 2006, 4:46 PM
I think I heard somewhere that Wakana sent May the letters and roses, and that May beat her for the ribbon. I also heard that Drew appeared. Can this be confirmed?

Lupin
2nd February 2006, 5:35 PM
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that May did win this one since I dount that writers will make her lose two contests in a row.

MaskedManAbsolkid
2nd February 2006, 5:37 PM
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that May did win this one since I dount that writers will make her lose two contests in a row.

That's what I was thinking, but still, there's a small chance.

Sika
2nd February 2006, 5:43 PM
According to Sushi, May did win this contest (something that was expected) and Combusken learned Mega-Kick. About the letter she didn´t say anything though.

Eddieursa
2nd February 2006, 5:46 PM
Can anybody tell me if there's some reference to the "attacks-off" problem of Ash's Sceptile?.

ChaosMage
2nd February 2006, 5:59 PM
Mega-Kick? Did it learn it in the episode or just know it and use it for the first time now?

JazzJazz
2nd February 2006, 7:00 PM
Mega-Kick? Did it learn it in the episode or just know it and use it for the first time now?

From what I hear, combusken learned mega-kick during a battle... much like squirtle pulled off hydro-pump during that gym battle a while back (was it in the Orange Islands?).

Torkoal Stu
2nd February 2006, 7:07 PM
(was it in the Orange Islands?).
Yes it was.

Now I still really want to know about that Castform >_>;

Well Mega Kick that isn't too bad I guess, I don't see how it would of helped it against Vibrava mind you but I guess it's an improvement. :/

And well May winning speaks for it's self, and Mannene tickling Combusken = LOL.

CyberCubed
2nd February 2006, 8:04 PM
The rose/letter from the Harley episode was sent by Wakana I hear.

ghost master
2nd February 2006, 9:29 PM
I think I heard somewhere that Wakana sent May the letters and roses, and that May beat her for the ribbon. I also heard that Drew appeared. Can this be confirmed? Since in the preview Drew was in it and it was said in the preview Drew didnt send the letter. The logical conclusion would be wakana but, we're not positive.

Eddieursa
2nd February 2006, 10:27 PM
I repeat:
Can anybody tell me if there's some reference to the "attacks-off" problem of Ash's Sceptile?.

And now:
Can anybody tell me if the opening have been updated with Ash's Sceptile?.

Pitchi
2nd February 2006, 10:48 PM
Yes. Wakana was the one who sent the rose/letter. She sent the rose because she wanted to copy Shuu :D (It`s true)

Torchic23
2nd February 2006, 10:52 PM
I don't know who to root for! I like Drew and May! Drew's pokemon[except for Flygon, make fun of it and die!] suck but he sure is cute!

ghost master
2nd February 2006, 10:54 PM
I don't know who to root for! I like Drew and May! Drew's pokemon[except for Flygon, make fun of it and die!] suck but he sure is cute! Drew didnt enter the contest.

Pika Hikari KT
2nd February 2006, 10:57 PM
Combusken learned Mega Kick? Works for me!:D ...Watch those Blaziken rumors fly, guys.:p

So the invitation was sent by a Drew admirer? ...I guess she saw May in the Grand Festival.;)

vaporeon89
2nd February 2006, 11:14 PM
Can someone confirm who is the trainer of this Castform?

I wanted Double Kick, because I see it more useful than Mega Kick, but...

;134;89

Jo-Jo
2nd February 2006, 11:22 PM
From the small amount of information I've gleaned about this contest, the plot seems to be a thinly veiled excuse for lots of Contestshipping, love-triangles, and Drew in a speedo.

Best episode ever!!!

Writers, I thank you. Keep doing what you're doing, and I foresee a long and fulfilling relationship between us.

Geodude
2nd February 2006, 11:24 PM
Mega Kick? Sure it wasn't Blaze Kick?

Aldrius
2nd February 2006, 11:31 PM
I know this isn't the games. But Combusken can't learn Blaze Kick.

So uh... any new pokemon on Drew's part? or still just the same 3?

ghost master
2nd February 2006, 11:41 PM
the plot seems to be a thinly veiled excuse for lots of Contestshipping, love-triangles, and Drew in a speedo. now is this a fantasy or actually confirmed?

I know this isn't the games. But Combusken can't learn Blaze Kick. we've seen many times pokemon learn moves that it cant learn or can learn in an evolved/pre-evolved form.

CyberCubed
2nd February 2006, 11:43 PM
Drew in a speedo.

Good god. The writers finally gave in to the Drew fangirl population.

Jesus christ, can we get May in a bikini now too writers? You know, since baring the 8th movie she hasn't been in one since Dewford Island?

Jo-Jo
2nd February 2006, 11:49 PM
Quote:
the plot seems to be a thinly veiled excuse for lots of Contestshipping, love-triangles, and Drew in a speedo.

now is this a fantasy or actually confirmed?
It's been confirmed that Wakana and May both like Drew, if that's what you mean. I will admit that I exaggerated the speedo. ;) It was a swimming costume of some kind, though.

Drew in a speedo.

Good god. The writers finally gave in to the Drew fangirl population.
:D If you ask me, he was designed for the fangirl population.

Jesus christ, can we get May in a bikini now too writers? You know, since baring the 8th movie she hasn't been in one since Dewford Island?
That's twice she's been in a bikini, then! Don't get greedy! :p

CyberCubed
2nd February 2006, 11:51 PM
That's twice she's been in a bikini, then! Don't get greedy! :p

Well actually it's been 5 times she was in a bikini, but still it's been over 100 episodes since she's been in one in the actual series.

All I can is THANK GOD for the 8th movie. :D

Geodude
3rd February 2006, 12:13 AM
we've seen many times pokemon learn moves that it cant learn or can learn in an evolved/pre-evolved form.
Not in Hoenn, nothing they can't learn in their current stage. The anime is better for that now.

Oh, didn't realize Combusken can't learn Blaze Kick...so maybe it was Mega Kick.

ghost master
3rd February 2006, 12:19 AM
I will admit that I exaggerated the speedo. It was a swimming costume of some kind, though. Oh is that it. I knew about may and wakana thing. I was curious about the swimsuit thing.

Not in Hoenn, nothing they can't learn in their current stage. The anime is better for that now. Although this isnt the exact same thing. Vibrava did know supersonic in a hoenn filler and it cant learn that.

V Faction
3rd February 2006, 4:45 AM
On one end of the spectrum: Double Kick is a closely-linked Combusken move. Having a generic attack like Mega Kick overtake its spot is disheartening.

One the other end: Double Kick would have meant another Fighting attack for Combusken. While having two of the same typed attack is not a serious offense in the Anime, the Torchic line is a line that prides itself on some serious variety. And I can't recall the last time Combusken used the normal typed Quick Attack.

Pokeballs
3rd February 2006, 5:23 AM
Mega Kick eh? I agree that Double Kick might've been a lot more fun, and it is truer to the games.
I think I remember Combusken using Quick Attack in the Salary Man episode though

dannyphantomhott
3rd February 2006, 6:20 AM
Sounds like a pretty cool episode. I can't wait to see some Drew/May hints, I'm exsited for the images to be up :]

Shadowcat
3rd February 2006, 8:28 AM
LOL!

DREW FANS HAVE SUNG! HIM IN A SPEEDO!

THE WRITERS GIVE IN TO US DREW FANS!

And yes, Wakana sent May the letter and rose... Most of us were curious about it...

Drew is love in this epi... There's rumors that Drew blushed...

Pitchi
3rd February 2006, 8:50 AM
There`re few blushing in this episode :D Seems like Haruka blushed twice and Shuu.. I dunno yet. We`ll just have to see.

Lupin
3rd February 2006, 1:51 PM
So are the writers saving Sceptiles training for the next episode or did we see Ash training him in this one?

Alfonso
3rd February 2006, 2:32 PM
It's not a speedo. It's just a normal swimsuit.

:<

Wakana is just too cute for words.

John's Knight
3rd February 2006, 2:38 PM
Hm...can't wait to see this episode's pics. Sounds good! That pic of Manene "tickling" Combusken is XD!

CyberCubed
3rd February 2006, 3:14 PM
So I take it that Castform was just owned by another coordinator?

Wakana is cute, and there is a May/Wakana moment near the end of the episode where Wakana faints into May's arms and May holds hers against her chest. Wow.

I'm kinda hoping Wakana returns for the Grand Festival now, although knowing the writers, she probably won't. -_-

Pitchi
3rd February 2006, 3:31 PM
^ She fainted because of Shuu :D She was hiding behind Haruka when he appeared at the end of epi.. How sweet.

I`m hoping that she will come back in Grand Festival too. She seems strong compare to Haruka when she was still rookie. Wish she will show up again =/

vaporeon89
3rd February 2006, 3:42 PM
Drew doesn't own Castform...
Wakana used her Surskit for the appealing, was cool
Manene used Tickle, Teeter Dance and Mimic
The battle betwen May and wakana was impressionant and Mega Kick looks REALLY cool.

;134;89

Blaziken master
3rd February 2006, 3:50 PM
Seen the pics.Wakana owns a surskit as well.Combusken's mega kick uses a blue CGI light to attack.

Almighty Zard
3rd February 2006, 4:05 PM
So are the writers saving Sceptiles training for the next episode or did we see Ash training him in this one?

in the opening he was tring to get it to attack but it still couldn't

And it seems to have gotten it's twig back thankfully.

V Faction
3rd February 2006, 4:23 PM
Damn. Really? I know I'm not the only one who wanted a brand-new twig. Maybe they're saving such an event until Sceptile gets his Groovyle back, a phrase I am now turning into a fad.

The Big Al
3rd February 2006, 5:53 PM
I don't think I will like this episode. After the pure comedy of Harley's revenge, this just bugs me. I'm not a Drew fan and this sounds like it's a Drew centered episode. The only redeeming qualities are Manene in the contest and a Castform.

ChaosMage
3rd February 2006, 5:56 PM
Sceptile's twig is small and feeble, and nay cool. He'll probably swap it when he get's his oft-mentioned groove back.

Vibrava was really cool, as was Manene. But I'm not too keen on Mega Kick.

Almighty Zard
3rd February 2006, 6:08 PM
One other thing that bothers me about this episode is i want to know what Drew said about Sceptile in the beginning of the episode cause by Ash's expression it wasn't something nice. I swear if Drew talked down to Sceptile then i hope it kills him in the near future.

Torkoal Stu
3rd February 2006, 8:50 PM
Wait hold up, so BOTH Hoothoot and Castform that were shown in the preview were random? >: That just annoys the hell out of me, and they gave Wanaka two Drew Pokemon (well pre-evo Drew Pokemon), I would of liked her to have Hoothoot personally.

But OMG Wanaka is soooooooooooo cute and sweet, it's illegal. And she sent May the letter huh, why may I ask?

Vibrava's attacks are now all special effects, they look so cheesy and they are just so hard to look at without looking away, you know? But Drew blushed <3!!!!

If I recall from the pictures Ash did command an attack for Sceptile at the begining but it failed once again, then Drew came and stuff.

One last thing when people said Munchlax did a Pokeblock appeal I thought it would be a Kelly clone one but it wasn't so i'm happy :D

taitofan
3rd February 2006, 9:05 PM
Okay, so I just finished watching the episode...

...Anyone know Wakana's VA? Cause she sounded really familiar... Speaking of Wakana, the girl is adorable. I swear she's Tamao's twin sister... Good thing she was too sweet to hate, or the yaoi fangirl in mw might have been rabid. The Shuu-sama thing was... Okay. Can't say ShuuxWakana is gonna ever win me over though. Seemed pretty one-sided. Her having his pre-evo pokemon was funny at least.

Contestshippers are gonna flip. Seriously. If a tensionshipper says that, it's serious. Now if someone can just translate the Wakana/Haruka/Musashi conversation... I'm 99% sure I heard Wakana ask Haruka if she likes Shuu. You know, "daisuki" like. To which Haruka blushes and Musashi starts saying something...

Musashi and Manene bonding scene was adorable. Musashi was actually really cool in this one. And Roketto Dan didn't blast off! *le gasp* Kojirou's reactions to Manene's beating was quite amusing too.

Shuu in swim trunks = one happy fangirl. <3

Uh... I dunno what else to say. It was a great episode. I don't think Wakana will be back... Too bad, HarukaxWakana is pretty cute. ^.^

*waits for someone to translate*

ghost master
3rd February 2006, 9:16 PM
I don't think I will like this episode. After the pure comedy of Harley's revenge, this just bugs me. I'm not a Drew fan and this sounds like it's a Drew centered episode. The only redeeming qualities are Manene in the contest and a Castform. He was focused on for maybe the first 5 min. and the last few minutes. Drew appeared and went over to Ash's Sceptile looking at it then May asked about the letter and he said he didnt send it. Then we see May training with Combusken and Munchlax. Then we meet Wakana and the letter is explained. May and Wakana see drew laying down on a chair with his Roselia in the next one over and Wakana blushes and freaks out. Then they talk and the contest begins.
Also what exactly was with May's appeal. What was the point of the solar beam? She used solar beam then metronome and Munchlax fell asleep with metronome and then May threw a pokeblock in the air to awaken him he leaped high in the air for it and then did a focus punch to the ground. Jessie had Manene use teeter dance for appeal. Wakana had Surskit do something not quite sure what though.
May faced Manene Jessie almost could've won. Its just Manene's mimiced fire spin was being used for along time and Combusken ran out and used sky uppercut on Manene and James freaked out. Combusken then faced a Skarmory and beat it. Combusken and vicrava battle was good. I believe vibrava had used sandstorm and that made Combusken immobile but then its head feathers glowed light blue and it used mega kick to free itself. Also Combusken used quick attack in the Manene and Vibrava battle. May eventually took vibrava out with mega kick.
In the end May and Wakana were hanging out with each other and drew walked by to say good bye and Wakana fainted and May blushed. There was also this cute scene with Jessie and Manene laying down by the beach looking up at the moon with James and Meowth watching a little bit a way.

I don't think Wakana will be back... Too bad, HarukaxWakana is pretty cute. ^.^ Hmm from the last scene I was under the impression she may come back. Although I didnt think Harley would be back before or that he would just show up at another contest but, we wouldnt see him in the GF.

Korobooshi Kojiro
3rd February 2006, 9:39 PM
So, was Sceptile added to the opening?

Anyway, this sounds like a great episode. Did they use any insert songs (Such as Ok, Ready Go, or the like?

jolteonjak
3rd February 2006, 9:46 PM
How did Jessie get away with using Manene for BOTH appeal and battle?

Brinstar
3rd February 2006, 9:49 PM
So, was Sceptile added to the opening?

Anyway, this sounds like a great episode. Did they use any insert songs (Such as Ok, Ready Go, or the like?

Yes, it was

They used Symphonic Medley or whatever the 8th opening is called.

How did Jessie get away with using Manene for BOTH appeal and battle?

Good question. XD

This episode was... meh-ish to me. I believe Vibrava was using Sand Tomb. I love Combusken, but is it just me, or does it always get these quickie somewhat badly animated battles now? I mean, to me, Combusken vs Manene was better than the final battle! Oh well... and I guess I'm the only one who was annoyed by Wakana. She's not very interesting to look at, her Pokemon team is uh...kinda plain (although Surskit's appeal was freakin' sweet) and she just kinda irritated me. To each his own, I suppose.

I did like the throwback songs they used in this ep. And Manene is growing on me with each passing episode. Best baby Pokemon ever.

Jikkle
3rd February 2006, 9:51 PM
For those wondering, The intro is updated with Sceptile. Everything is the same expect the leaf blade part. It looked to me that Sceptile's leaf blade is actually longer and instead of the Grovyle way in the intro where it's slice, slice, cross arms and go forward, Sceptile does a slightly different (seemed that way to me) slice, slice, and instead of crossing his arms he does a spin forward.

So it looks like instead of the Grovyle way of come towards the opponent with arms crossed and slice is replaced with the new Sceptile way of come towards your opponent spinning than slicing.

♥Princess Ketchum♥
3rd February 2006, 9:52 PM
Looks awsome XD And lol may and drew blush XD Hope they get together soon

http://i1.*******.com/n3vlzk.jpg< Sceptile is in the opening

CyberCubed
3rd February 2006, 10:05 PM
^ There's a better chance of Drew leaving the show before ANY character being paired up with anyone. ;)

Pleeeeease bring back Wakana for the Grand Festival. I adored her, imagine if she met Harley? LOL! I imagine the writers are building up for Drew's departure at the Kanto Grand Festival, which is why his Contest role is so minimal now.

I liked Jessie and Manene, hope she uses it again.

ChaosMage
3rd February 2006, 11:00 PM
This contest needed desperately to be a two-parter. Wakana is such a great character, and the contest was longer than most should be anyway. Drew's scenes could have been a whole episode.

DKzM0mA
4th February 2006, 12:11 AM
Anyone know why was May blushing at the end when Drew walked away? Episode didn't look so bad...Manene's battle with Combustken was pretty good actually. I just noticed Wakuna's pokemon are all Drew pre evolves LOL!

I just wanna know why Drew and May were blushing. Why was Drew blushing in his trunks, and why was May blushing at the end.

I almost thought mega kick was a blue/white firey blaze kick but eh...

ghost master
4th February 2006, 12:23 AM
why was May blushing at the end. he said something to the extent of May has 2 more ribbons to go. Also in the episode did Drew ever mention how many ribbons he has? I'd assume possibly all ribbons since he didnt try to enter the contest.

PDL
4th February 2006, 12:24 AM
judging from the pics, it looks like a very good contest episode...

I also like how Jessie & and the rest of TR didn't seem to cause much trouble in the episode as well...

CyberCubed
4th February 2006, 12:25 AM
I assume Drew has all 5 ribbons too, especially since Harley already has 4, it makes sense for Drew to be just as good (or ahead of him).

Jo-Jo
4th February 2006, 12:51 AM
I was planning not to spoil myself further until the episode downloaded.

Then it told me it had forty hours to go, so I figured screw that.

Anyway, going by the pictures: Wakana is so cute. I was kinda hoping for her to be a b*tch, but hey, win some, lose some. The ending scene where Drew comes over and she hides behind May and faints - muahahaha. It's a shame that she probably won't come back for the Grand Festival, because the Wakana/Drew/May triangle was gold. I second taitofan's request to know what happened backstage when Jessie butted into their conversation.

Oh, and I guess I should get this out of my system. As someone who has argued for a looong time that May likes Drew, not Ash, here is my mature reaction:

*gloats*

oh god that felt good. Ahem. And now I'm done.

ZoraJolteon
4th February 2006, 1:10 AM
http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/8238/sceptile2oy.gif

Yay Sceptile!

jolteonjak
4th February 2006, 1:35 AM
Sorry to say this here, but Zora that animation looks great! Looks like Sceptile's Leaf Blade is double-bladed now which is great!

Robotboy
4th February 2006, 1:38 AM
Wow, Sceptile's version of Leaf Blade is pretty sick, then. Is it just me, or is it a bit more wider than Grovyle's version of the attack?

Anyway, cool episode. I thought it was adorable how Wakana was using pre-evolutions of the Pokemon we've all come to know and associate with Drew. Combusken learning Mega Kick was just a little bit on the "wtf" side for me, and I really think the Combusken vs. Vibrava fight could've been longer... but the Combusken vs. Manene battle was completely worth it.

Very much looking forward to seeing the next episode, too, especially after seeing the first scenes.

Thriller
4th February 2006, 2:03 AM
The only reason I watched this episode was to see Drew compete, so guess how mad I was as I watched this.

Is it just me or is Drews Roselia bigger?

I hated Wakana's eyes, they just looked hollow and dank.

Jessie + Manene = Best Pairing Ever! I couldn't believe how nice Jessie was being to Manene. I liked the Hawaian Dance appeal. I also liked how She walked up to May to congratulate her (I don't know Japanese so she could have said anything).

Manene with Fire Spin = Great, I hope the anime writers can think of more Mimic adventures, like Manene with Bullet Seed.

RaikousThunder
4th February 2006, 2:05 AM
This ep looks like a good contest episode. I dont normally think Drew is cute but he looks so adorable in the scened where hes in his swim trunks. Wakana is cute too, for a girl character. I loved her appeal with Surskit, great use of its skating abilities. What i wonder with the battle part did they say anything that you can use the same pokemon for appeals and battles? Seems the rule for using different pokemon didnt apply here but May and Wakana did it anyway. Oh anyone else notcie one of the guys May battled in this contest looks a lot like the guy who had a Politoed in the previous one? He also looks like a younger versions of the Salaryman from the other Combusken contest. Combusken has a new attack. Mega Kick got a brand new look to it too. I thought it was odd that Combuskens feathers glow along with its feet. I do like the blue effect, it looks cool. I think they need more variety in attack looks. Sky Uppercut, Metal Claw, Dragon Claw etc look very similar as well as Wing Attack and Steel Wing. Even a different colored glow would look good. Back to the episode, it looks good and i cant wait to watch it. Gonna have to wait about a year but thats ok.

ghost master
4th February 2006, 2:07 AM
Sorry to say this here, but Zora that animation looks great! Looks like Sceptile's Leaf Blade is double-bladed now which is great Now? it was double bladed the first time it tried to use it.

Manene with Flamethrower = GreatWe only got to see it mimic fire spin because combusken doesnt know flamethrower.

The only reason I watched this episode was to see Drew compete, so guess how mad I was as I watched this Where were you? cybercubed determined for us in the first few pages that Drew wouldnt actually compete in it.

Geodude
4th February 2006, 2:08 AM
Manene with Flamethrower = Great
Not Flamethrower, Fire Spin. Combusken does not know Flamethrower.

ZoraJolteon
4th February 2006, 2:09 AM
Drew is cheating in contests with growth hormones. *nodnod*

Pika Hikari KT
4th February 2006, 2:14 AM
^OMG, I can't believe I didn't notice that! That's pretty cute...

BrokenDreams
4th February 2006, 2:29 AM
Can anybody show the picture of the ribon that May won?

Thriller
4th February 2006, 2:32 AM
Not Flamethrower, Fire Spin. Combusken does not know Flamethrower.

Fixed. I'm sure that is quite a common mistake.

Where were you? cybercubed determined for us in the first few pages that Drew wouldnt actually compete in it.

I was trying not to spoil it since I can now watch the episodes.

V Faction
4th February 2006, 2:33 AM
I hope everyone and their brother doesn't use that animation.

Because it's mine. All mine.

Mega Kick... What was its old effect? Did it even have one? Seems like they went out of their way to give it this spiffy new effect.

Gravy
4th February 2006, 2:59 AM
Whoever is filling in for Miss Ohtani isn't doing a good job of imitating her Manene voice. They're not doing half bad with Roselia however, I'll give them that much. Though, one has to wonder why they just don't take a similar route to how they've handled Pikachu and just use older voice clips.

Anyway...

Combusken is the best freakin' pokémon ever. F.A.C.T. I just can't get over how awesome it was this time around.
It's struggle against Wakana's Vibrava, IMO, was it's best battle to date.
All the moves used were perfect (especially Mega Kick and Sand Tomb), the fight was played out very well and the action was intense. And to top it all off, we get a ribbon AND a new move in tow. An absolutely perfect Contest battle if ever there was one.
I'm not too sure about her comb glowing blue when using her newly aqquired Mega Kick attack, but its a minor gripe at best. Certainly not enough to deter me from every other brilliant aspect of this episode~

Jessie in a hula outfit wins EVERY TIME.
Though I have to say, that wasn't exactly her best idea for an appeal. It was different, but I've come to expect more from her in contests. She usually has some awesome combinations and shows she has a ton of creativity.
But despite that, I loved her attitude during this episode. We saw a whole different side to her. Accepting her defeat like a decent trainer and sitting on the beach peacefully with Manene. Its a shame she doesn't get more moments like this.

Speaking of Manene, its performance in battle was definately most impressive, despite it only using Mimic and Tickle during the entire match. Its times like these that really do show that Jessie can be a very competant trainer when it comes down to fighting fair.

Wakana bombarded me with ickle squee aborable vibes as soon as she came on screen. From her 'Shuu-sama's to her voice, she was a great character, so hopefully she gets another chance to show up in any future episodes.
Kudos to her for raising the ContestShipping meter a little higher also~

Edit: Was there a new piece of music introduced during this episode? The one I'm refering to is played close to the end, during the sunset scene on the beach. The tune itself is, iirc, the one used for the ending credits on RSE. I've never actually heard it used in the show before this point, so it kinda caught me off gaurd.

Also, was I the only one who noticed Mr.G.Neric (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/mrdude2.jpg) from last fortnight's contest making another appearence (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/mrdude1.jpg)?

Magus
4th February 2006, 4:50 AM
Now? it was double bladed the first time it tried to use it.
Sceptile didn't manage to fully form the Leaf Blade when he tried in Grovyle vs Tropius. But now we know what it'll look like when he gets his attacks back.

Puffs
4th February 2006, 5:03 AM
why is Drew's Roselia so freakin' huge?

V Faction
4th February 2006, 5:15 AM
Also, was I the only one who noticed Mr.G.Neric (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/mrdude2.jpg) from last fortnight's contest making another appearence (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/mrdude1.jpg)?
:O

Mr. G. Neric is now my favorite Coordinator.

Magus
4th February 2006, 5:26 AM
Let's not go there. Please, CyberCubed. :p

Heracross
4th February 2006, 5:30 AM
It probably just got into some Miracle Grow. Or nuclear radiation. :/

Geodude
4th February 2006, 5:35 AM
I was astonished at Team Rocket's behavior in this ep. Jessie entered the contest without any sort of trickery except a disguise, they didn't try to steal any Pokemon, and Jessie even went up to May after their battle and...I'm not sure what she said, but it was nice...I think she thanked her for the battle. And at the end of the ep Jessie and Manene were just sitting on the beach, staring out at the water, while Meowth and James spied on them. Not sure what to make of all this.

Jo-Jo
4th February 2006, 5:48 AM
:o Character development for Jessie? Wowsers.

Let's just say that Drew gets lonely on the road.
AAAGH AAAGH AAAGH MY BRAIN *gurgle splat*

Torchic23
4th February 2006, 5:53 AM
Contestshippers are gonna flip. Seriously. If a tensionshipper says that, it's serious. Now if someone can just translate the Wakana/Haruka/Musashi conversation... I'm 99% sure I heard Wakana ask Haruka if she likes Shuu. You know, "daisuki" like. To which Haruka blushes and Musashi starts saying something...

Oh god no, don't give in to it May! [Even though Drew is hot]

This ep. was pretty good, some nice shots of Drew [no top! *faints*]
May is blushing? Please not over Drew, that's just not cool. Wakana faints in the end? I didn't see that I'll check again.

Yup this was amusing. Mega Kick was really cool looking! I love the Torchic line :D

Magus
4th February 2006, 5:58 AM
:o Character development for Jessie? Wowsers.
James and Meowth had been getting all the TR development, so she was ovedue.

Geodude
4th February 2006, 6:14 AM
Yup this was amusing. Double kick was really cool looking! I love the Torchic line :D
Uh, it's been stated several times already that the attack was Mega Kick.

.Bambi.
4th February 2006, 6:49 AM
Forget Mr. G. Neric, it looks like May's got a fan club (http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7523/stalkercoordinators9xn.png) stalking her...O.o

Anywhays, this episode actually looks amazing. As in, I think I may like it more than the recent Harley Contest...and I've only seen pictures *gaaaasp* =O
I'll probably post a full review when I actually see the episode though...

But for now I must say two things:

- I said I was looking forward to the Combusken/Manene battle, and I wasn't disappointed. Can't wait to see it in action.

- It's awesome that Combusken learned Mega Kick and all and I LOVE the blue glow on its foot, but I was WTFing the head feathers. Why the HELL would they need to glow? It's Mega KICK, no feathers required. Not to mention it looked SO stupid...I honestly don't get it.

Torchic23
4th February 2006, 6:51 AM
Uh, it's been stated several times already that the attack was Mega Kick.

yeah, that's what I meant, what attack did Munchlax use for the first round? Was it a mega punch or a hyper beam, or something else?

CyberCubed
4th February 2006, 6:53 AM
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7523/stalkercoordinators9xn.png

Bwhahahahaa, literally every single coordinator from the Harley contest was in this one!

Either the animators did this for continuity, or they were just being lazy and pasted the same faces in the second contest instead of designing all new characters.

Considering that the two contests were only 1 episode apart, I'll go by the latter.

.Bambi.
4th February 2006, 7:02 AM
Bwhahahahaa, literally every single coordinator from the Harley contest was in this one!

Either the animators did this for continuity, or they were just being lazy and pasted the same faces in the second contest instead of designing all new characters.

Considering that the two contests were only 1 episode apart, I'll go by the latter.
Yeah, I was thinking this too. But still, what are the chances that all but one Co-Ordinator [because Jessie participated in this one] from the Harley Contest also made it into the finals of this episode?
I can understand 1 or 2 because these towns were 'so close together', but 5? No...

what attack did Munchlax use for the first round? Was it a mega punch or a hyper beam, or something else?
First it used Solarbeam, followed by a Metronome which I'm pretty sure resulted in Rest [if so, there wasn't a green glow like there was for Harley's Octillery]. So to wake it up, May pulled out a PokeBlock, threw it in the air and Gonbe instantly woke up and jumped for it. On its way back to the ground it finished its appeal with a Focus Punch.
This may not be completely correct, but I'm going on just episode pictures at the moment.

Yamato-san
4th February 2006, 11:19 AM
...Anyone know Wakana's VA? Cause she sounded really familiar...

Her seiyuu's Yoshida Mayumi. She also played Kuchinuki Aki (the Kuchinuki/Winstrate family's daughter).

This contest needed desperately to be a two-parter. Wakana is such a great character, and the contest was longer than most should be anyway. Drew's scenes could have been a whole episode.

Agreed. They could've also touched up more on a prelude to Wakashamo's learning Mega Kick. Maybe make note of how the strength of its legs have been increasing lately or something.

Speaking of which, did Shuu comment that "the trainer and Pokemon's feelings are one" when Mega Kick was first used? That sounds like a rather cheap method to bring up a new technique (and unfortunately, I didn't catch any lines by Satoshi, Masato, or even Takeshi, surprisingly, which delved further into the subject).... the above paragraph's scenario would've been much preferred.

The Benmeister
4th February 2006, 11:39 AM
Wow. This contest had most everything. May wins with Combusken, probably her best Pokemon (the way she hugged it after it won was pretty heartwarming). Wakana is a very interesting character (it was cute how she had all the pre-vos of Drew's Pokemon, and how she fainted at the end). And, my best note, Jessie actually gets character development! Definately one of her best contests to date.

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7...inators9xn.png

Wow, a lot of people are re-trying for the ribbon.

ChaosMage
4th February 2006, 12:51 PM
Wakana must hate May... that little strumpet and her great boobs gettin' all close to Shuu-sama! You know, if this was going to be a bit more realistic she'd be gettin' Springer-style on that chick's behind! And her Chicken!

V Faction
4th February 2006, 3:55 PM
....which I'm pretty sure resulted in Rest [if so, there wasn't a green glow like there was for Harley's Octillery]
My guess: Since Munchlax was at full health, there was no need to make the green glow representing recovery around it.

My realization: They just forgot.

My fear: Something in the future contradicts this.

ZoraJolteon
4th February 2006, 3:55 PM
I say a Green Glow only appears when removing a Special Condition.

Momoko Lover
4th February 2006, 5:12 PM
That's what I thought too. Anyways, I liked this contest, I hope Wakana is a recurring character. Does anyone think she might catch a Roselia?

CyberCubed
4th February 2006, 7:56 PM
That's what I thought too. Anyways, I liked this contest, I hope Wakana is a recurring character. Does anyone think she might catch a Roselia?

Maybe. :D

Wakana/Drew need one more Poke in common to catch up to Ash/May. ;)

ZoraJolteon
4th February 2006, 7:58 PM
She'll obviously catch the D/P baby version and shove it in everyone's faces, duh. It's called Buddse.

Geodude
5th February 2006, 1:05 AM
Also what exactly was with May's appeal. What was the point of the solar beam?
Max (I think it was Max) was surprised that Munchlax was able to fire the Solarbeam so quickly. Brock looked up at the sky (the Contest House evidently had no roof, like a baseball stadium) and I think he said that Solarbeam doesn't need any charge-up time when the sun is bright like it is now.

RaikousThunder
5th February 2006, 1:19 AM
Max (I think it was Max) was surprised that Munchlax was able to fire the Solarbeam so quickly. Brock looked up at the sky (the Contest House evidently had no roof, like a baseball stadium) and I think he said that Solarbeam doesn't need any charge-up time when the sun is bright like it is now.
That brings in the effect on Sunny Day, i like when they mix effects of things in the anime. Like when Ash made it 'rain' in his eighth gym battle which triggered Luvdisc's Swift Swim. May probably figured it wouldnt take long with the sun. It also shows off that Munchlax has different moves. Solarbeam is odd coming from a Munchlax. She should also get extra points for having a rare pokemon. Rare only since much isnt known about it, right? The judges should have been surprised to see a Manene too but they might not do that stuff in the anime, i dunno.

Magus
5th February 2006, 1:27 AM
Maybe the anime is just pretending that the pre-evolutions of Snorlax and Mr Mime have been known all along.

Pitchi
5th February 2006, 2:19 AM

Oh no don`t Wakana. Don`t catch Roselia! Those 2 pre-evolution of Shuu`s pokemon are enough.

Yeah, I hope she`s a recurring character too :( I wanna see her again.

Geodude
5th February 2006, 2:23 AM
Maybe the anime is just pretending that the pre-evolutions of Snorlax and Mr Mime have been known all along.
Yeah, that's how new evos/prevos have always been treated. Think about it realistically...in the anime, you don't get 100+ new Pokemon "discovered" every few years, any new ones are assumed to have always existed, just in different regions. They kinda have to treat it that way because of how the games work.

Thanks to Archaic for an explanation of a couple things, this is part of a convo between me and him on AIM:

Shiny Geodude: first off, tell me if this is right... (gimme a sec to find and C&P the post)
Shiny Geodude: Max (I think it was Max) was surprised that Munchlax was able to fire the Solarbeam so quickly. Brock looked up at the sky (the Contest House evidently had no roof, like a baseball stadium) and I think he said that Solarbeam doesn't need any charge-up time when the sun is bright like it is now.
ArchaicEternal: Yes.
ArchaicEternal: They were basically showing Sunny Day in show.
Shiny Geodude: thought so
Shiny Geodude: what about the whole thing with Jessie and her not doing anything wrong?
ArchaicEternal: She seems to have gone all nostalgic over "young love".
ArchaicEternal: Seemed to imply that Haruka and the new girl would be fighting for Shun's heart.
Shiny Geodude: so she eavesdropped on their conversation and then added her two cents because she thought it was cute how they both liked Drew?
ArchaicEternal: Pretty much.

Shiny Geodude: so what's up with the scene with Jessie & Manene together looking out at the water at the end of the ep?
ArchaicEternal: I'll translate it for you.
Shiny Geodude: cool
ArchaicEternal: Jessie: "First love is good, isn't it"
Manene: "Ma ne" (That's a joke. "Ma ne" would mean "I guess so")
Meowth: "Jessie isn't her usual self"
James: "It'll snow tomorrow. It's absolutly going to snow tomorrow" (Think "It's snowing in hell right now", or "Pigs are flying")
Wobbuffet: "Sounensu" (Another joke."Sou ne" would be an informal way to agree with something just said)

Shatoshi
5th February 2006, 3:14 AM

That is so weired^^ (theyre out of ideas :D)

Jo-Jo
5th February 2006, 4:14 AM
:D Jessie is a Contestshipper! How cute! So... how many in-show shippers does that make, now? Harley, Caroline, Jessie... and May and Drew, of course. :p

Pitchi
5th February 2006, 7:32 AM
^ I agree! :D Jessie is being nice this time and trying to cheer both of them.

Rider
5th February 2006, 4:47 PM
Does anybody know what Drew says when May blushes? I got the episode downloaded, but it didn't work the best because my comp doesn't support the video format, so I had to go off of pictures while I listened to the sound. It was a strange experience, but ah well. I'm wondering what Drew says to Wakana at the end also. It seemed as though he complimented her on her coordinating skills, and at the poolside when Drew blushed I felt like May was exaggerating Drew's skills as a coordinator, because Roselia agreed, and Drew scolded it in a sort of 'whose side are you on?' sort of way.

But those are just my suspicions, anyone have any confirmations?

Water Master David
5th February 2006, 4:50 PM
Good: Blastoise was appealing

Bad: May's Squirtle is absent here...

Gravy
5th February 2006, 4:55 PM
:p Jessie is a Contestshipper! How cute! So... how many in-show shippers does that make, now? Harley, Caroline, Jessie... and May and Drew, of course. :D
Gwah? Harley is an in-show Contestshipper? I'm obviously missing something here, which I suspect is GF related >.>

Yeah...tragic, tragic loss of potential there. Truth be told, I was actually tearing over it.

Geodude
5th February 2006, 4:57 PM
Does anybody know what Drew says when May blushes?
Read my last post.

ChaosMage
5th February 2006, 4:57 PM

I hope you enjoy your remaining life and the brief moments of happiness on these forums. Have a lolly.

Jo-Jo
5th February 2006, 6:19 PM
Gwah? Harley is an in-show Contestshipper? I'm obviously missing something here, which I suspect is GF related >.>
Yeah, there are a couple of scenes in the GF. Here are the approximate transcripts:

Harley: Shuu-kun! The most noteworthy co-ordinator of the moment! I didn't know you were friends with such a famous person, Haruka-chan!

Haruka: Not true - Shuu's always making fun of me.

Harley: But you got a rose from him! A rose! *gasps* Wait - that means you two must be in love, I guess - I guess!*

Haruka: *blushes* Harley-san!

-----

*Backstage before the second round of appeals begin, Haruka is looking around for something*

Harley: What are you doing, Haruka?

Haruka: I was just looking for someone...

Harley: *leans forward with clasped hands* Oh! Is it Shuu-kun, perhaps?

Haruka: *waves hands* No, no! It's -

(blah blah, explanation about someone impersonating Tonpei)

There's also a part in the first Saffron contest ep where Harley says something about May and Drew being "fated/destined rivals", but I dunno if he was suggesting anything with that.

Bad: May's Squirtle is absent here...I hope you enjoy your remaining life and the brief moments of happiness on these forums. Have a lolly.
*laughs* In Squirtle's defense, its appeal in the last contest was a million times better than whatever weird crap Munchlax was trying to do in this one.

Actually, both May's and Jessie's appeals were pretty rubbish, I thought. Wakana's blew them both out of the water.

* The 'I guess'es are a translation of 'kamo'.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
5th February 2006, 7:18 PM
I just saw the episode and after the awsome one with Harley I didn't really like this one. Wakana reminds me of the girl from the time travel episode.

I thought Manene was great, just needed some more time. Heh, there was even a Gardevoir in the episode! Sceptile gets his stick back which is good. I'm just waiting for next weeks episode.

CyberCubed
5th February 2006, 7:20 PM
Whoa, there was a Gardevoir in this ep? I must have blinked cause I missed it. :/

Blaziken master
5th February 2006, 7:39 PM
It was in the traditional pokemon appeals still shot section

Kthleen
5th February 2006, 10:25 PM
Does anybody know what Drew says when May blushes? I got the episode downloaded, but it didn't work the best because my comp doesn't support the video format, so I had to go off of pictures while I listened to the sound. It was a strange experience, but ah well. I'm wondering what Drew says to Wakana at the end also. It seemed as though he complimented her on her coordinating skills, and at the poolside when Drew blushed I felt like May was exaggerating Drew's skills as a coordinator, because Roselia agreed, and Drew scolded it in a sort of 'whose side are you on?' sort of way.

But those are just my suspicions, anyone have any confirmations?When May blushes at the end?
I'm not perfect at translating (and maybe my hearing's a little off, too), but this is what I have.
...Someone help me?

At the end:
Shuu: "Wakana-san, dake." ("Wakana... only.")
Wakana: "Un, hai!" ("Y-yes?")
Shuu: "Zannen datta kedo Vibrava yoku sodaterareteita yo. Flygon made sodateiru* no wa jikan ga kakaru kedo, ganbatte. ("It's too bad, but you were able to raise your Vibrava well. It'll take some time for it to become a Flygon, so work hard.")
Wakana: "A, hai! Ganbarimasu!" ("Yes! I'll do my best!") ::faints::
Haruka: "U-u-u-Wakana!"
Masato and Takeshi: (something-or-other that I dun wanna figure out)
Shuu: "Haruka."
Haruka: "Ee?" ("Eh?")
Shuu: "Ato wa futatsu da." ("Two more to go.")
Haruka: ::blush:: Sh-Shuu wa ribon, ikutsu na* no yo. ("Y-you have lots of/all the ribbons, Shuu.")
Shuu: "Sou* ne. Demo Grand Festival ni wa, itsutsu hitsuyou dakara ne." ("Yeah. But that's because you need five for the Grand Festival.")

*1. That's what I hear.
2. I honestly can't tell if she's saying na or no. It sounds a lot like a cross between them. As for the translation, I wasn't quite sure, but hopefully you (and I...) get the idea. By the way, how many ribbons does Shuu have?
3. Again, I can't tell if that's saa or sou.

CyberCubed
5th February 2006, 10:38 PM
Ah, so it's probably confirmed that Drew has all 5 ribbons then. That makes sense too, since Harley has 4, Drew had to be just as far along.

I guess Drew won't be competing in any contests at all in this region then, until the GF of course.

Looks like the writers are preparing for the climax of both the Harley and Drew rivalries. Sounds good.

Sweet May
5th February 2006, 10:40 PM
I watched the episode and it was awesome.
I'm so concerned on what people said. Otherthan the end which Kthleen just posted (weither its true or not). And.... um...
The battle with Vibrava and Combusken was great. Surskit's appeal was also great. Wakana's voice seemed kawaii IMO. xD
I can't wait to see it dubbed. =P

Rider
6th February 2006, 12:13 AM
Thanks for translating Kthleen, and Geodude, I don't see how your last post answered my question in the least...

Ethereal
6th February 2006, 12:18 AM
Saw this ep a few hours ago...I liked it a lot.

What I liked:

-Munchlax. Sue me. I love the little guy. I think he's cute. :D
-Jessie. We got to see the softer side of Jessie, which I always enjoy. Plus, we saw that she can be a very good battler.
-No real Team Rocket interruptions. Yes. ;_;
-Good battles.

I love this episode. ;__;

Poké_Master
6th February 2006, 1:12 AM
Shuu: "Wakana-san, dake." ("Wakana... only.")
Wakana: "Un, hai!" ("Y-yes?")
Shuu: "Zannen datta kedo Vibrava yoku sodaterareteita yo. Flygon made sodateiru* no wa jikan ga kakaru kedo, ganbatte. ("It's too bad, but you were able to raise your Vibrava well. It'll take some time for it to become a Flygon, so work hard.")
Wakana: "A, hai! Ganbarimasu!" ("Yes! I'll do my best!") ::faints::
Haruka: "U-u-u-Wakana!"
Masato and Takeshi: (something-or-other that I dun wanna figure out)
Shuu: "Haruka."
Haruka: "Ee?" ("Eh?")
Shuu: "Ato wa futatsu da." ("Two more to go.")
Haruka: ::blush:: Sh-Shuu wa ribon, ikutsu na* no yo. ("Y-you have lots of/all the ribbons, Shuu.")
Shuu: "Sou* ne. Demo Grand Festival ni wa, itsutsu hitsuyou dakara ne." ("Yeah. But that's because you need five for the Grand Festival.")

So that's what that scene was all about...

Torchic23
6th February 2006, 1:25 AM
So that's what that scene was all about...

It's after the contest, Drew says his good-byes that's pretty much it.

I'm a little disappointed on the blushing at the end cause I thought contestshipping was finally going to be true, but no that sucks

Pokemon Fan
6th February 2006, 4:22 AM
It's after the contest, Drew says his good-byes that's pretty much it.

I'm a little disappointed on the blushing at the end cause I thought contestshipping was finally going to be true, but no that sucks
There must have been something cultural or something lost in translation because it would make no sense for May to blush at Drew just saying goodbye. Its confusing to me.

But really, on your second comment, unless it is in some last episode or a "look into the far future" type thing, no pairing with a main character on Pokemon is going to get confirmed more than Drew and May is already.

And no one has posted why Drew blushed early in the episode, Geodude's post, helpful as it was, didn't address that.

But anyway as cute as all the semi-romance was I'm most excited about the Sceptile animation.

Geodude
6th February 2006, 4:28 AM
And no one has posted why Drew blushed early in the episode, Geodude's post, helpful as it was, didn't address that.
Oh, ok, I misunderstood what the person meant. Too bad Archaic's not on AIM now, or I'd ask him that too.

Oh, it's true all right. The mutual interest is obviously there.

Yamato-san
6th February 2006, 5:48 AM
Actually, both May's and Jessie's appeals were pretty rubbish, I thought. Wakana's blew them both out of the water.

I actually liked Gonbe's appeal. It reminded us that Metronome can screw up badly, and Haruka could figure a way out of it.

Jo-Jo
6th February 2006, 11:57 AM
There must have been something cultural or something lost in translation because it would make no sense for May to blush at Drew just saying goodbye. Its confusing to me.
Perhaps it was just the way he said it...? ...I don't know.

This isn't the first time that kind of thing has happened, though. The Grand Festival also had an ending scene where May watched Drew walk away and blushed.

Alfonso
6th February 2006, 1:03 PM
Oh, ok, I misunderstood what the person meant. Too bad Archaic's not on AIM now, or I'd ask him that too.

Oh, it's true all right. The mutual interest is obviously there.

Perhaps. But it wasn't as extreme as the Contestshippers were making out in the Contestshipping thread.

That's why I said they should wait to hear it from a unbiased source, or actually waited to see what was going on and why, instead of going beserk over THIS blush, or THAT blush, or the tightness of Shuu's swimwear.

jolteonjak
6th February 2006, 2:04 PM
or the tightness of Shuu's swimwear.

That made me giggle.

Geodude, do you think you could ask Archaic if anything was mentioned about Jessie using Manene in both appeal and battle please?

Jo-Jo
6th February 2006, 3:25 PM
or the tightness of Shuu's swimwear.
*looks around nervously for an appearance from That Pic*

Geodude
7th February 2006, 2:23 AM
Geodude, do you think you could ask Archaic if anything was mentioned about Jessie using Manene in both appeal and battle please?
Nothing seemed apparent to me about it. I'll try to remember though.

And that is of course a wide-open question to anyone else reading this who has a good knowledge of Japanese.

GreenKirby
8th February 2006, 11:44 PM
If Drew being a Gary clone wasn't enough, now they decide to make a Drew clone with a personality like Erika from Pacifidlog. Yawn.

And also, it seems Combusken once again gets treated well. Half of its victories were against pokemon that it has a disadvantage against (Grumpig, Chimecho, Manene, and Vibrava). So far that thing has a 8-1 record, I find that very cheap.

Also every single contest in Kanto was decided by KO. It was like the time limit didn't matter.

CyberCubed
8th February 2006, 11:53 PM
Well, a battle is a battle. What do you think you're supposed to do? If you KO your opponent and make them faint, you win.

The time limit is just to end the match if both Pokemon remain standing. I love the Contests where we have real KO's before the time limit ends, it shows that a Contest battle is still the same as a real battle, and the same rules apply.

Magus
9th February 2006, 3:43 AM
But a Contest battle isn't the same as a regular battle. The whole idea behind Coordinators is training Pokémon to be graceful and stylish as they battle. With all the KO wins in Contests, that only seems to matter during the appeals.

CyberCubed
9th February 2006, 3:47 AM
And how well Pokemon react to blows and attacks lowers their points which is more or less the same thing as HP.

When the Pokemon battle in the Contest halls, it's the same as if they were battling outside. You just have 3 little judges pushing buttons on the side. If a Pokemon faints, they faint, who cares?

Using combination attacks can be done by anyone, we've seen Ash use attack combinations himself many times.

~Flareon~
9th February 2006, 1:18 PM
I liked this episode. Seems like May has another rival, Wakana has a crush on Drew. Jessie enters another contest again, she is going to use James's Manene. Probably she lost against May's Combusken. And now May's Combusken face off against Wakana's Vibrava. Combusken learns a new attack, Mega Kick and finally defeats Vibrava. May won the Yuzuhira Contest and gets the ribbon. She does the usual ribbon pose.

Blazken
14th March 2006, 10:08 PM
Everyone that May like Drew in this ep but to me it look like May trying to set up wakanka and Drew in this ep

Ashy Boy
15th April 2006, 6:58 PM
I may be the only one saying this, but judging by the screenshots, I think Jessie's attitude has taken the turn for the worst. She seemed too calm even in defeat.

Fofa
3rd July 2006, 8:22 AM
I think I might be the only person who thinks that Drew was secretly hoping for May to win. That's probably just me.

ashnmisty4eva
4th July 2006, 4:08 AM
I think I might be the only person who thinks that Drew was secretly hoping for May to win. That's probably just me.

Nope, I was thinking the same thing. :)

I have no idea what the translation is for the poolside drew blushing scene, but my guess is that May says something about Drew giving her roses all the time and then Roselia laughs as Drew says that he doesn't give her that many, and that they're for beautifuly, lol. Just a guess, though. I'd like to know what they're really saying. :)

Riva
15th July 2006, 5:40 AM
Jessie didn't get at all mad or throw a fit that May beat her like she always does under her aliases. Since I didn't see the exact episode, what did she say after picking up Mime Jr. and walk over to May?

Ashy Boy
15th July 2006, 11:45 PM
Jessie didn't get at all mad or throw a fit that May beat her like she always does under her aliases. Since I didn't see the exact episode, what did she say after picking up Mime Jr. and walk over to May?
No idea, we have yet to see a guide for the whole episode.

WaterDragon trainer
4th November 2006, 3:31 PM
Just saw this in the US. This episode was pretty cool. Drew's new voice was a little cooler than the original. Briana's voice was kind of obnoxious. Cool to see a "sunny day-solarbeam" technique. Munchlax was awesome in the 1st round. Especially when it immediately woke up for May's Pink Surprise. It was hilarious how James was so concerned for Mime Jr. It was cool to see a Sand Tomb and Combusken learn Mega Kick. Overall, the contest was pretty good.

Lishus13
4th November 2006, 6:54 PM
did they spell "Combusken" wrong in the title? I swear it read "Spontaneous Combuskin"!

Hikarii
4th November 2006, 7:08 PM
Yeah. It was misspelled as "Combuskin".

I liked the episode. My mom was cooking something at the time so I couldn't get to hear what was said at the blushing scenes. Only because I wanted to know what really happened that Contestshippers take way out of proportion.. XD

S.Suikun
4th November 2006, 7:10 PM
did they spell "Combusken" wrong in the title? I swear it read "Spontaneous Combuskin"!
Yup. More embarrassing than "Hooked on Onyx!" Blah, considering how PUSA fixed the Ekans mistake in Mystery Dungeon, it won't surprise me if they fix this also.

Sachiko
4th November 2006, 7:43 PM
Loved this episode. I would say that there were a lot of Contestshipping hints, but that's not true at all.

This goes past hints. This is EVIDENCE. -___-U

I wasn't a Contestshipper before this episode, because I didn't like Drew. Now I like this shipping!!! (I change my mind too easily '__'U)

BattleFranky~40
4th November 2006, 7:54 PM
"Oh my gosh, I'm breathing the same air as him!"

Lol rabid fangirls.

jolteonjak
4th November 2006, 8:18 PM
Did anyone else who saw the Japanese version as well as the dub version of this episode get two different ideas of the way Drew acted?

He almost seemed to be condescending towards to May...more so than usual in the dub.

Background music sucked. Symphonic Melody was playing as Combusken learned Mega Kick. I thought that was better than the stuff today.

Torkoal Stu
4th November 2006, 8:34 PM
They spelt it Combuskin?

XD Owned those people who said PUSA were better cause they can spell.

Though its not as bad as the Loose thing IMO.

BattleFranky~40
4th November 2006, 8:39 PM
They spelt it Combuskin?

XD Owned those people who said PUSA were better cause they can spell.

Though its not as bad as the Loose thing IMO.

PUSA corrects their mistakes. 4Kids doesn't.

eeveedragon
4th November 2006, 9:44 PM
was it just me? i think team rocket didn't say their motto in this episode! o_o

Torkoal Stu
4th November 2006, 9:57 PM
PUSA corrects their mistakes. 4Kids doesn't.
Who says they'll correct this one?

They corrected one mistake, they might not correct this one, and they might not correct that Earth type comment from a few episodes back. Not saying they won't fix those mistakes.

But who knows.

wobbanut
4th November 2006, 10:23 PM
"Combuskin", LOL. And the closed captioning, oddly enough, spelled it correctly directly under it. It's a combustible chickEN, title people. :D

Anyway, my two cents:

-- I LOVED seeing Drew again. It's been far too long (at least I've been seeing his early episodes this past week). The contestshippy material was terrific, especially May's blush at the end.
-- Great contest battles and appeals. I'm surprised a simple hula dance got Jessie into the next round, but she did have a great outfit. Mime Jr. tickling Combusken was hilarious. And seeing it use mimic was awesome. If James could have Mime Jr. do that once in a while, that would be great, but he never has it battle, just like with Chimie.
-- Overall, a terrific Jessie episode. No evil moments, a good battle (she should have won, darnit!), and a sweet ending. :) I liked her getting sentimental when Brianna and May were talking romance or lack of it. This was the best Jessie episode in a really long time. Too bad James's hearts in his eyes weren't for Jessie. :(
-- Good battle episode for May and Combusken. Combusken was a pretty good fighter, and at least it learned a new move.
-- Brianna: VERY annoying. But at least she helped jump-start some contestshipping material.

Overall, 9/10. The next contest episode is the one I've been waiting for the most. :D

S.Suikun
4th November 2006, 10:32 PM
was it just me? i think team rocket didn't say their motto in this episode! o_o
That's certainly not a first time. In episodes like many of the gyms and contests where they practically do nothing but appear for like a 10 second cameo, there isn't time for it.

Darkness Angel
4th November 2006, 11:14 PM
For some strange reason Brianna's voice reminded me of Suzy's from Zatch Bell plus combusken really needs a dragon punch.

Medea
5th November 2006, 1:03 AM
Great friggin' episode!

Okay on that much heated debate *spark* Drew's voice was okay. Alright, maybe at first I was playing a game I call "YOU SUCK" but as the episode went on (or whenever I saw Drew shirtless) I STFU and said I would get used to his new voice.

Nextly...*smacks Max repeatedly with Medea's holy friggin fan-service book* How dare you call Drew a weinie! You're the weinie you friggin' pain the arse.

Brianna/Wakana's voice bugged the living crap outta me. But it sort of sounded like Marina's from the Raikou special (don't mind that). But try as she might, Wakana is no where near as annoying as that one chick Erika.

The battle was pretty cool. I didn't despise Jessie like I normally do so somebody must be doing their job right.

Another thing (and I'm hoping all over the place with this episode) *drools to the max* Holy Crap! Shirtless Drew! That made my friggin' day!

And one more thing, I am so glad my horrible dream didn't come true. I got to see plenty of the great Contestshipping. There is a God!

Hikozaru390
5th November 2006, 1:03 AM
Well, this wavers my confidence in PUSA a little.

And the title "Choose it or Loose It!" was fixed in the CN re-airing, so I think this one will be too.

These mistakes are uncalled for.

Unfixed PUSA mistakes so far:

The mispronunciation in the theme song (Jeeze, their company name is POKéMON USA for pete's sake!)
"Earth type" Just....no.
And now Spontaneous Combuskin. I literally slapped myself in the forehead when I saw that.

I hope they're fixed.

CyberCubed
5th November 2006, 1:13 AM
Did anyone else who saw the Japanese version as well as the dub version of this episode get two different ideas of the way Drew acted?

He almost seemed to be condescending towards to May...more so than usual in the dub.

Drew did seem to act more smug toward May in the dub than in the original. This is the point where Drew becomes nicer to May to help reel her in, but he came off as a bit too arrogant in parts.

The lines were more or less the same though, and they kept all of May's blushing so it would seem that even with his tone, May starts to appreciate him much more regardless.

spongeaud
5th November 2006, 2:57 AM
that little girl was annoying "i'm Breathing his air" i mean come on!

CabbyFish
5th November 2006, 3:08 AM
This was a great episode! I really like the part about Mime Jr. being in a contest for once (even though Combusken defeated it). I see Mime Jr. using mimic and tickle for the battle, but I didn't see any trace if tetter dance (bulbapedia said it did). All the voices seemed to have improved since Fear Factor Phony. A message that wasn't from Drew? That was a shock. Best of all we get to hear Drew's new voice and I think NewBrock did a good job tackling Drew's voice. That was you right? Also who voices Mime Jr.? Sarah Nattochenny, right? Whoever it is, She puts a lot of character in voicing Mime Jr. You can really feel its every emotion.

CabbyFish
5th November 2006, 3:10 AM
This was a great episode! I really like the part about Mime Jr. being in a contest for once (even though Combusken defeated it). I see Mime Jr. using mimic and tickle for the battle, but I didn't see any trace if tetter dance (bulbapedia said it did). All the voices seemed to have improved since Fear Factor Phony. A message that wasn't from Drew? That was a shock. Best of all we get to hear Drew's new voice and I think NewBrock did a good job tackling Drew's voice. That was you right? Also who voices Mime Jr.? Sarah Nattochenny, right? Whoever it is, She puts a lot of character in voicing Mime Jr. You can really feel its every emotion.

CabbyFish
5th November 2006, 3:49 AM
Oops. The page wasn't loading right on my end, so I didn't know what happened. Sorry...

CyberCubed
5th November 2006, 3:54 AM
that little girl was annoying "i'm Breathing his air" i mean come on!

She's a Drew fangirl, that's how they act.

Brianna was adorable. :x

Geodude
5th November 2006, 3:56 AM
Not sure if anyone mentioned the dialogue mistake...Brock said, "Now that's weird. I thought Fire-type moves weren't that strong against Ground-type Pokemon." Fire attacks work just fine on Ground types, it's Dragon-types that they're weak against. I guess it's sort of an understandable mistake to make though because of all the Rock-Ground types and how Rock is indeed resistant to Fire. Still, PUSA should know better.

Pika Hikari KT
5th November 2006, 7:41 AM
I did notice that, and remembered that Fire attacks are neutral against Ground types--Vibrava is also part Dragon, which would cause the resistance.:p

Geodude
5th November 2006, 11:37 AM
That's what I just said. :p

Crimsonmon
5th November 2006, 1:27 PM
Who says they'll correct this one?

They corrected one mistake, they might not correct this one, and they might not correct that Earth type comment from a few episodes back. Not saying they won't fix those mistakes.

But who knows.

They fixed a spelling error in another title.

Ashy Boy
5th November 2006, 4:00 PM
If any of you heard Drew's new dub voice, what was it like?

BTW, what did Jessie say to May when she lost?

Mandi.
5th November 2006, 9:45 PM
If any of you heard Drew's new dub voice, what was it like?

It actually wasn't much different from his other voice. It did sound more arrogant though.

Rashdan
6th November 2006, 1:07 AM
XD I loved the part when James says "Don't burn your nose, Mime Jr" or something of the sort. Plain hilarious. XD

Good episode overall. Combusken was awesome, learning a new move ^_^ Can't wait to see it evolve into Blaziken

Gravy
7th November 2006, 7:18 PM
Heeeeeeeeey....they dubbed over Roselia and made it say it's entire name. And then they went and kept Surskit's (extremely adorable) "Aaa. Aaa!" voice. What the hell is up with that?

"If you're going to be a fool, must it involve the children?" I loved that line.

Doesn't this post just reek of the pungent scent of relevence?

Korobooshi Kojiro
7th November 2006, 7:18 PM
I found it funny how Max said Drew was a weeny.

I mean, if you get called a "ween" by Max, something is up.

Gravy
7th November 2006, 8:14 PM
I found it funny how Max said Drew was a weeny.

I mean, if you get called a "ween" by Max, something is up.

'Weenie' Koji. 'Weenie' :P
Masato was so crushing on Wakana/Brianna. You could just see the jealously in his eyes when he insulted Shuu for seemingly no reason at all.

You know, I like it when they give Masato a 'tude. It reminds me of his very awesome personna way back when AG began. The days of olde, when he'd make Ash look like a dunce by pointing out his every flaw and when he'd insult Haruka's vocabulary.
Even if you're a rabid Shuu fangirl who felt like slitting the poor kid's throat as soon as he made that comment, you have to admit; It did make him stand out of the background for a few fleeting seconds, ne? ;)

Jo-Jo
7th November 2006, 8:34 PM
*hides razor blade behind back* Huh, wha, it wasn't me, you can't prove a thing.

Korobooshi Kojiro
7th November 2006, 8:36 PM
I can see Hoso 23 now...

"Insulting Shuu!! Masato Risking His Life?!!"

Jo-Jo
7th November 2006, 8:40 PM
I'd watch it.

Korobooshi Kojiro
7th November 2006, 9:40 PM
I hope it isn't a let down like the Misty risking her life...

I mean, she didn't die!

CyberCubed
7th November 2006, 9:47 PM
I thought Brock's line about Drew was far more insulting than what Max said.

Drew was causing the girls to blush, and Brock says, "Like nails on a chalkboard."

Utter jealousy that Drew has a monopoly on girls or that he doesn't like the guy?

STJ
8th November 2006, 2:40 AM
I thought Brock's line about Drew was far more insulting than what Max said.

Drew was causing the girls to blush, and Brock says, "Like nails on a chalkboard."

Utter jealousy that Drew has a monopoly on girls or that he doesn't like the guy?

Brock, you are my new hero! :)

But in all seriousness, it was probably a bit of both

*protects Max and Brock from Drew fangirls*

chosen_one386
9th November 2006, 2:29 AM
Pretty good contest episode... Drew has a pretty nice new voice, but the best part of all...

Him in his swimsuit! ^_^!

SheWhoLovesPineapples
11th November 2006, 12:24 AM
Well actually it's been 5 times she was in a bikini, but still it's been over 100 episodes since she's been in one in the actual series.

You keep track? o_0

This contest needed desperately to be a two-parter.

Totally! I thought the same thing!

Drew is cheating in contests with growth hormones.

LOL.

This isn't the first time that kind of thing has happened, though. The Grand Festival also had an ending scene where May watched Drew walk away and blushed.

TECHNICALLY she didn’t blush until her mom started teasing her. She just stared and her hair got all blow-y... ;P

"Combuskin", LOL. And the closed captioning, oddly enough, spelled it correctly directly under it.

So did TiVo, I think... o_0 Maybe the people pressed the button with the wrong hand and just didn’t notice... (If you don’t know what I mean, look at “I” and “E” on the keyboard.)

Brianna/Wakana's voice bugged the living crap outta me. But it sort of sounded like Marina's from the Raikou special (don't mind that).

You think so? I don’t... I actually liked Brianna’s voice. I DESPISE the English Marina’s.

The mispronunciation in the theme song (Jeeze, their company name is POKéMON USA for pete's sake!)
"Earth type" Just....no.
And now Spontaneous Combuskin. I literally slapped myself in the forehead when I saw that.

I hope they're fixed.

It wasn’t THAT bad... they’re just mistakes, and PUSA hasn’t been doing this very long.

Besides, I like it when they make mistakes. Because finding them is fun. Once, I read this Scholastic thing called “Pokemon Hall of Fame”. I think I found eight mistakes in that. The mistakes were probably the most interesting thing in the entire book. Not that that's saying much.

"Insulting Shuu!! Masato Risking His Life?!!"

XD I laughed out loud at that.

I hope it isn't a let down like the Misty risking her life...

I mean, she didn't die!

*Fwaks Kojiro across the head* No! Misty is the best character ever!! If she died, I’d be very very sad... ToT Not that it would ever happen.

Off topic, but why is that episode even called that? o_0 Is it because they thought the person who gave her the letter wanted to hurt her, or something?

I figure the latter... has Brock ever shown signs of not liking him before? I don’t remember...

--

Anyway... I loved this episode!! Drew's voice sounded OK for the most part... the actor had a little trouble with the tone in some parts though... like, he sounded like he was making fun of May when he was complimenting her on her choice of moves... He's so unpredictable, though, I wouldn't blame anyone for getting confused.

Even my mom laughed a couple times in this episode(she was watching it with me)... like when Max called Drew a weenie... she also said Drew was a jerk. Which is was, sort of...

Jo-Jo
11th November 2006, 12:33 AM
TECHNICALLY she didn’t blush until her mom started teasing her. She just stared and her hair got all blow-y... ;P
Actually, she started blushing a few seconds before her mom said anything, then carried on blushing when the teasing started. :D[/knowitall]

I figure the latter... has Brock ever shown signs of not liking him before? I don’t remember...
No, I don't think so... Ash and Max have expressed irritation towards him on occasion, but Brock never has. Unless, "How come Shuu gets all the girls?" counts.

SheWhoLovesPineapples
11th November 2006, 2:38 AM
Actually, she started blushing a few seconds before her mom said anything, then carried on blushing when the teasing started. :D[/knowitall]

Whatever. xP

Well, maybe she blushed because Ash, Brock, Max, and her mom caught her watching Drew. That's still not blushing just because he said good-bye.

Mandi.
11th November 2006, 3:57 AM
Well, maybe she blushed because Ash, Brock, Max, and her mom caught her watching Drew. That's still not blushing just because he said good-bye.

Well after Ash brought the cone and she yelled at him, she turned back to watch Drew, and they all turned and then Brock went "Hey, isn't that Drew?" And May goes WHILE BLUSHING, "We were just saying goodbye." And THEN Caroline comes and embarrasses her.

RageKaiser
25th November 2006, 4:54 AM
OMG Brianna was Suzie from Zatch Bell X_x
Can't they make little girls sound like little girls unstead of grown women forcing the voice?

Anyway, Drew was as hot as ever in this episode *drools*
Contestshipping is officially a go..`-`
and "Combuskin"??? How could you even get that wrong? Are we talking about Chickins?
I liked this episode, I wish they would have kept the symphonic medly though...Oh well.

EDIT: Oh and Brianna sounds more like Wakana then Salona does Hinata :3

Ashy Boy
26th November 2006, 3:11 PM
What did Jessie say when she hugged and posed with Mime Jr? Even when I see the pictures I still think that Jessie was bragging about being beautiful which isn't at all surprising?

Jo-Jo
26th November 2006, 4:39 PM
Is there a single episode thread you've posted in where you haven't asked us to help you bash Jessie for no reason?

Ashy Boy
26th November 2006, 8:09 PM
Is there a single episode thread you've posted in where you haven't asked us to help you bash Jessie for no reason?

What I'm trying to ask is what Jessie said to James and Meowth when hugging Mime Jr.

BTW, I admit I am bashing Jessie, but it's because I can't stand her arrogance and the fact that she thinks of herself of being pretty and more nasty than James & Meowth.

BattleFranky~40
26th November 2006, 8:11 PM
What I'm trying to ask is what Jessie said to James and Meowth when hugging Mime Jr.

BTW, I admit I am bashing Jessie, but it's because I can't stand her arrogance and the fact that she thinks of herself of being pretty and more nasty than James & Meowth.

Which is what makes her great.

Knight_Ram
27th November 2006, 3:19 AM
Damn May! She fluked it again! But anything for the veiwers! Great 3d animation in this episdoe with the sand tomb attack and the mega kick! Great battle! 7.5/10

starterlover1
27th November 2006, 11:44 PM
As a fan of contests, I think this was a pretty good episode. Squirtle's rapid spin appeal was SO unoriginal, though. And if squirtle used ice beam to freeze the pyramid of bubbles, how did it end up on the outside? Now combusken, that battle was great. I like how it pulled off mega kick, and the last sand tomb by vibrava looked pretty good, too. Just one more ribbon, I think...

Pacman
28th November 2006, 10:09 PM
That one girl was annoying. Forgot her name. She does have a cool Pokemon though.

Ashy Boy
22nd February 2007, 10:39 PM
Sorry if I asked this question before, but what did Jessie say during the part she was hugging Mime Jr., when she lost at the contest and at the end?

Wobuffet fan
22nd November 2007, 9:14 PM
I remember at the end she said "memories, first love." at the end.

PokeGal99
25th January 2008, 8:50 PM
Quite good but not as good as queen of the serpantine!

Misty Fanboi13
10th March 2008, 4:26 AM
As a fan of contests, I think this was a pretty good episode. Squirtle's rapid spin appeal was SO unoriginal, though. And if squirtle used ice beam to freeze the pyramid of bubbles, how did it end up on the outside? Now combusken, that battle was great. I like how it pulled off mega kick, and the last sand tomb by vibrava looked pretty good, too. Just one more ribbon, I think...

uhh, May used Munchlax to appeal in this episode

and this was her third ribbon not her fourth

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 10:51 PM
Hm didn't enjoy this one. I've said this a lot, I don't like contests >_> And I probably never will.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 1:01 PM
Hm didn't enjoy this one. I've said this a lot, I don't like contests >_> And I probably never will.

it's something at least, i thought it was a nice episode.

Blue Snover
20th April 2009, 12:34 PM
Nice contest, i think May could have lost if that girl wasn't so focused on impressing Drew.

ShinyLucario523
23rd April 2009, 3:16 AM
So all this time ive been waiting for my combusken to learn blaze kick for nothing?

Slowking[George]
24th April 2009, 7:53 PM
Nice contest, i think May could have lost if that girl wasn't so focused on impressing Drew.

Nah, doubt so, she really gave it her best. Besides, wanting to impress Drew would have made her opponent to work harder. :P

Torpoleon
14th May 2009, 11:19 PM
This episode really showed off the bond May and Combusken(now Blaziken) have for each other and that Combusken really wanted to win. If Combusken hadn't learned Mega Kick, it would have lost. So, May should be lucky.

Littlemyuu
10th June 2009, 2:48 PM
Nah, it was an ok episode...contest are not my faves..but better than nothing

Ash-kid
6th December 2009, 5:59 PM
Combusken was great how it learn mega Kick, i loved him.
And it was wired to see that Drew doesn't participate, but not so bad.

Lorde
6th December 2009, 8:26 PM
Finally, May arrived at another Contest Hall. What I thought was funny about this episode is that May actually got another COTD as her rival, and that that rival was a Drew fan. Anyway, seeing Jessie and May fight it out with Mime Jr. and Combusken was quite the spectacle. Then seeing Vibrava lose to Combusken really got things going at the end. Combusken really impressed me in this contest. It was something I hadn't seen in a while; a good battle. May totally deserved that ribbon. 6/10

Midnight Sun
28th June 2010, 5:01 AM
I've finally seen this episode in Japanese, and I definitely like it much better than the English dub. Drew's (English) voice bothers me because he sounds so snotty or condescending when isn't supposed to. But, then again, it was his first episode since the voice changes.

The love triangle 'Do you like him?' and 'I'll rip you apart if you go near him' parts were awesome from Brianna. I really wish she had come back with her one ribbon to stir up trouble again. >:P

I liked the battle, but since most (or all) of Vibrava's attacks were CGI, it looked pretty out of place to me. Namely the sand tomb. But whatever, it was pretty cool.

One of my favorite episodes. (:

ZangooseLord
22nd July 2010, 5:50 AM
I've finally seen this episode in Japanese, and I definitely like it much better than the English dub. Drew's (English) voice bothers me because he sounds so snotty or condescending when isn't supposed to. But, then again, it was his first episode since the voice changes.

The love triangle 'Do you like him?' and 'I'll rip you apart if you go near him' parts were awesome from Brianna. I really wish she had come back with her one ribbon to stir up trouble again. >:P

I liked the battle, but since most (or all) of Vibrava's attacks were CGI, it looked pretty out of place to me. Namely the sand tomb. But whatever, it was pretty cool.

One of my favorite episodes. (:

QFT. He sounds like a mix between Gary Oak and Silver the Hedgehog. As for the contest itself, when Drew (or it may have been Max, I don't remember) said May should've used Munchlax over Combusken for the battles b/c of SolarBeam, I wanted to shout, "Hey, the sun also powers up Combusken's fire attacks (speaking of which, when did it's Fire Spin attack become a Flamethrower?), so that'll work to her advantage."

Overall, I found this to be a shipping-heavy episode. So be it.

Painkiller2001
10th December 2010, 9:17 PM
This episode started just how I thought it would:
Ash trying to get Sceptile's attack power back.

Don't get impatient with Sceptile Ash! He's trying his best to get his power back!

Rest of the episode was alright. Contest episodes aren't my favorite episodes, so...

Glad that Combuskin <- learned Mega Kick, though!

Lance The Champ
17th December 2010, 10:50 AM
I am glad May beat that crazy fan girl...... and great for Combusken to master Mega Kick

G50
26th April 2011, 12:33 PM
This episode was cool. It was great to see Mime Jr. used in a Contest for the 1st time. It was cool to see Combusken learn Mega Kick during the contest. Combusken vs Vibrava was a very cool battle. It was great to see that Mime Jr. knew Teeter Dance and Tickle, plus used them for the contest battle.

82/100

Ash Ketchum!
23rd February 2012, 5:50 AM
I liked how there was a lot of poking at May liking Drew and the other way around. I laughed when Max called Drew a weenie.

Caseydia
26th March 2012, 6:42 PM
The love triangle 'Do you like him?' and 'I'll rip you apart if you go near him' parts were awesome from Brianna. I really wish she had come back with her one ribbon to stir up trouble again.

Yes. I think she would have made a great rival if she was introduced alittle earlier in BF to get May hyped. It's better than having Soledad who was a slight too old to be a rival for May.

Vernikova
13th September 2012, 8:29 PM
Huh, two different contest in consecutive episodes. That's rather interesting. The episode was okay to be honest.

Dawn+Serena Fan
2nd July 2013, 11:25 PM
Another good episode. I enjoyed May's contest win. Also there were some hints of contestshipping XD

PokemontrainerY
8th July 2013, 12:44 PM
This episode started with May getting ready for her contest and Ash trying to deal with Sceptile's problem. But out of nowhere, May's annoying rival Drew came and told Ash to "see from Sceptile's point of view", making things worse. Ash didn't seem to like what Drew said. I bet he was annoyed by Drew and wanted to yell at him.

Later May meets a cute girl who sent her a letter in the past. The girl tells her that she saw the previous Contest May participated in, and that's why she sent the letter to meet her. She introduces herself Brianna and goes to give May a rose(What you know?), but Munchlax eats the rose. May say that he though Drew sent her the letter and Brianna was really happy to hear that May knows him.

Later May and Brianna meets up with Drew. May introduces Brianna to Drew, then Brianna starts blushing and tells him she became a Coordinator after she saw his performances. Of course, Drew is happy to hear that and goes away before shaking Brianna's hand, which makes her blush even more! Brianna looks at her hand for a while, then turns to May and tells her that she will beat her in the Contest. She also tells May Drew has respect for her and when Brianna becomes a top-Coordinator, Drew will respect her as well. Whoa, she chose to become a top coordinator just to gain Drew's respect? Geez.

Later the Contest begins and the participants performs their Contest appeals. After everyone's performances, the screen displays the next Coordinators who made it to the next round. Jessie, Brianna and May were among the qualified coordinators. May and Brianna were really happy to know that they made it to the next round.

Then the screen reveals that May will face Jessie in the next round. May tells Brianna that she wants show Drew her coordinator skills to prove that she improved from before, But Brianna thinks otherwise and tells May she is expressing too much 'feelings' for Drew! Seriously? Geez, talk about being dramatic.

May blushes a little and tells Brianna that they're just rivals. But despite May telling Brianna that she and Drew are just rivals, She accuses her of loving Drew! (that's a bit too much) Hearing this, May nervously starts tapping her fingers while blushing deeply. Ugh...now what's up with her?

Jessie hears them and says something about "young love" and wishes to see them battle, but May reminds her Jessie have to battle her first. As expected, May wins the battle using Combusken. Then May battles with Brianna. During the battle, her Combusken learns Mega Kick and defeats Brianna's Vibrava, making her the winner of the contest. So May wins the ribbon.

Later the girls meets up with Drew again. After some talking with May, Drew turns to Brianna, telling her she will have Vibrava evolved in Flygon after some time and respects her skills. Drew's 'wise' words were too much for Brianna......so she couldn't take it anymore and fainted in May's arms! Geez, her crush was crazy.

Anyway, Drew tells May she needs only two ribbons. May asks him how much does he have, but evades the answer and walks away. May stares at him.....with a deep blush on her face?! Meh, this is why I'm not a fan of Drew. -_-

Overall, this episode was boring, I didn't like it at all. In fact, this episode is my least favorite episode from Battle frontier because of it's cliché and boring plot. The only good thing about this episode was May's Combusken learning Mega Kick, the rest of the episode was overly cliche and there were too much forced shipping. Brianna was adorable, but It was annoying when she started fangirling over gary-stu Drew, and it's even more annoying when May started blushing while seeing Drew leave. I gotta agree with Max's comment about Drew being a 'weenie', he's right about that.

Painkiller2001
16th November 2014, 8:43 PM
Even I couldn't ignore something like this, but "Spontaneous Combuskin" was hilarious to see in that title card! :)