PDA

View Full Version : Official 3rd Gen IVs/EVs/DVs FAQ and Discussion Thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

TRJessie579
3rd February 2006, 9:57 PM
Yes, I have too much free time. Why do you ask? :D

Due to all the questions about EVs/IVs, and the fact that the main site’s guides have some mistakes in them, I’ve decided to write up a brief guide so that people can understand them better.

This is also the thread to discuss anything and everything about EVs/IVs/DVs. The one thing that I ask is NOT to ask what EVs you should put on your Pokemon. These type of questions are better suited to the RMT section (http://www.serebiiforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118) of the forums, though I will go into a little bit of detail on that in the guide.

If you make a thread relating to EVs/IVs I will close it and ask you to repost your question in this thread. Just a warning to all of you out there, to hopefully prevent people from whining at me. :)

IVs – Individual Values

What are IVs?

The easiest way to explain IVs is that they’re like your Pokemon’s genes. They decide how high each of your Pokemon’s stats can go, and are decided when you catch them or receive them, as an Egg or from another character in the game. They never change. They are also the reason why two of the same newly-caught Pokemon at the same level with the same Nature can have different stats.

Each of your Pokemon’s stats has a different IV value from 0 to 31, 0 being awful and 31 being perfect. At LV 100, a Pokemon with 31 IVs in their HP stat will have 31 more HP than a Pokemon with 0 IVs in their HP stat. Therefore, IVs directly correspond with your Pokemon’s stats.

How do I know what IVs my Pokemon has?

This value is hidden, and you can’t tell a Pokemon’s IVs just by looking at their stats. There are a few ways you can determine your Pokemon’s IVs:

1. A very complex formula explained here:

http://www.serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml

2. A much easier to deal with IV calculator:

http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calc.shtml

Since IV calculators are only COMPLETELY accurate when your Pokemon is at LV 100, the calculator will show the min, max, and average IVs your Pokemon can have. For example, if it shows 20 for the minimum and 25 for the maximum, your Pokemon has an IV of anywhere from 20 to 25. The average will just be the number in between those two numbers, in this case 23. The average is NOT necessarily your Pokemon’s exact IV.

You will get more accurate answers if your Pokemon is at a higher level. Also remember that if you have battled with your Pokemon then you have gained EVs (explained below), which will make the stats inputted in the IV calculator inaccurate. If your Pokemon was not at a high level when you caught it, use Rare Candies until it is as high as you can get it, preferably LV 20 at least. Then you can input the data and reset to save the Rare Candies.

3. In Emerald only, you can check with the “Pokemon Breeder” at the Battle Frontier. If you’re not looking for specific numbers, just the general range of your Pokemon’s IVs, he is your best bet. He is located in the house directly above the Pokemon Center at the BF.

He will rate the first Pokemon in your party, first by TOTAL IV count:

“This one, overall, I would describe as being of average ability.” 0 – 90 total IVs
“This one, overall, I would describe as having better-than-average ability.” 91 – 120 total IVs
“This one, overall, I would say is quite impressive in ability!” 121 – 150 total IVs
“This one, overall, I would say is wonderfully outstanding in ability!” 151 – 186 total IVs

And then he will rate your Pokemon’s highest INVIDIUAL IV count (note that if your Pokemon has more than 1 perfect stat, he will choose one at random to mention):

“Incidentally, the best aspect of it, I would say, is its (insert stat here)..."

“That stat is relatively good. ...Hmm... That's how I call it.” 0 - 15
“That stat is quite impressive. ...Hmm... That's how I call it.” 16 - 25
“That stat is outstanding! ...Hmm... That's how I call it.” 26 - 30
“It's flawless! A thing of perfection! ...Hmm... That's how I call it.” 31

How do I get better IVs?

A Pokemon’s IVs are completely random, but you CAN influence IVs through breeding. A Pokemon will inherit 3 IVs from its parents (which stats pass down their IVs, and which parent they are passed down from, is chosen at random), and the other 3 stats will have random IVs. If you breed parents with good IVs, and you are patient, you will eventually get a baby with very good stats. To ensure that you have a better chance of passing down good IVs, if possible, you can replace one of the parents with a hatchling of the same gender if you find that the hatchling has better IVs.

If you are trying to get good IVs on a Pokemon that can't breed but does have an overworld sprite, such as most legendaries, you can soft-reset for good IVs. To do this, you will have to use the equation linked to above in order to calculate what the Pokemon's stats need to be for it to have perfects IVs at the level you encounter it. Then you'll have to catch it to see what its stats are. Only worry about two or three stats and a good Nature, or you could be soft-resetting for a very long time. You won't be able to use Rare Candies to level it up all the way to calculate its exact IVs because if you do, and it turns out to have excellent IVs, you'll be stuck with an outstanding Pokemon that can't be EV trained (more on this below).

What is HP/Hidden Power and what does it have to do with Ivs?

The move Hidden Power (TM 10) has a different move type and power based on your Pokemon’s IVs. Since IVs don’t change, the Hidden Power your Pokemon has is the one it will always have.

Here is the main site’s page on HP, and an equation on how to figure out what kind your Pokemon has:

http://www.serebii.net/games/hidden-power.shtml

The main site’s IV calculator also shows you your Pokemon’s HP type and power, but again, since IV calculators are only completely accurate at LV 100, you don’t want to rely on the calculator to tell you your Pokemon’s HP. The best way, if you don’t want to bother with the calculation, is to battle a Kecleon. When you use the move, Kecleon will change to the type of your Pokemon’s HP.

If you can’t find Kecleon, or you aren’t using a game that has it, just use process of elimination. For example, if you battle a Grass-type Pokemon and Hidden Power is super effective, it can only be Fire, Poison, Ice, Flying, or Bug. Battle another type to eliminate more options until you’re left with the only possible HP type your Pokemon can have.

EVs – Effort Values

What are EVs?

EVs are the main reason that trained Pokemon are so much better stat-wise than their wild counterparts. Every time you battle, your Pokemon will gain EVs depending on the defending Pokemon, and each Pokemon you battle has a set number of EVs in a set number of stats that it will give you. For example, Zubat gives 1 Speed EV. Rayquaza gives 2 Attack EVs and 1 Sp. Attack EV. The better and stronger your opponent, the more EVs you will gain.

EVs are so important because 4 of them = 1 stat point. Each Pokemon can have a total of 510 EVs, with a max of 255 in a single stat. This means that a Pokemon with full EVs in one stat will have +63 more in that stat than a Pokemon with no EVs.

EV-gain is tied to gaining EXP from battle, so you must defeat the opponent Pokemon to gain the EVs. This also means that any Pokemon that gains EXP from the battle gains full EVs from the defending Pokemon, whether they actually defeat the Pokemon, only participate in the battle (even without attacking), or are holding the EXP Share.

VERY IMPORTANT—Stat gain from EVs is NOT added up all at once, but gradually as your Pokemon gains levels. At LV 100, your Pokemon will have all the stat gain from EVs it is supposed to, but you may not see large stat gains all at once. For example, if you have a low level Pokemon battle 20 Zubat, you will not necessarily see a +5 gain when it levels up. However, you probably WILL see this kind of gain in a LV 50 Pokemon that’s just starting to battle.

Here's another example, since people still seem confused on this point:

Since EV-training adds +63 in a fully trained stat TOTAL, you're not going to see huge leaps and bounds of stats every level. People new to EV-training expect to see +10 in the EV-trained stat every level, but that just doesn't happen since the max is 63. EV-training still makes a difference, but it doesn't add hundreds of points to the stat. Seeing only a +1 or +2 to a stat is NORMAL, and doesn't mean EVs aren't working.

Whompithian has provided us with an equation to figure out how much stat gain from EVs your Pokemon should have received at certain levels, which you can use to make sure your EV training is on track:

I had a post in the old EV/IV/DV Discussion thread that I believe is still relevant, since it answers a question I have seen asked a lot. So, here is the original post on how to determine how many points will be added to your Pokemon's stats when it levels up, with some minor changes:

To calculate Hit Points:
Math.Floor((BaseStat x 2 + IV + Math.Floor(NewEV / 4) + (Math.Floor(NewEV / 4) – Math.Floor(OldEV / 4)) x Level) / 100 + 1)

To calculate everything else:
Math.Floor((BaseStat x 2 + IV + Math.Floor(NewEV / 4) + (Math.Floor(NewEV / 4) – Math.Floor(OldEV / 4)) x Level) x NatVal / 100)

Here's the breakdown:

Math.Floor() - Ignore any decimal in the final result (i.e. 1.1 = 1, 1.5 = 1, 1.9 = 1, 2.1 = 2, etc.)
BaseStat - Your Pokemon's Base Stat for the stat (constant value.)
IV - Your Pokemon's Individual Value for the stat (constant value.)
NewEV - The current Effort Value of the stat (variable value.)
OldEV - The Effort Value of the stat at the beginning of the current Level (variable value.)
Level - The Pokemon's current Level (this equation determines how many points the stat will increase upon reaching the next level.)
NatVal - Nature Value; the effect the Pokemon's Nature has on the stat (constant value; 0.9 for lower, 1.0 for neutral, 1.1 for upping.)

Here's the logic:

Use this equation during Effort Training to determine if the training is on course. One may compare the results of this equation to the actual stat increase at level-up to determine if Effort Training is working as well as it should. One may create a simplified version of this equation for each stat once One has figured out the three constant values for that stat. Also note that because you may already have a high enough decimal value in your current stat MathFloor() may cause your calculated stat increase to be one lower than your actual stat increase.

(BaseStat x 2 + IV + Math.Floor(NewEV / 4)) x NatVal / 100
Gives how many points a Pokemon will gain when it goes up one Level with its current Effort Value. Not dividing by 100 at the end will give the maximum value the stat can reach at Level 100 with its current Effort Value.

(Math.Floor(NewEV / 4) – Math.Floor(OldEV / 4)) x Level) x NatVal / 100
Gives how many points a Pokemon will gain from the Effort Points it has earned in its current Level. Multiplying the newly earned Effort Points by the current Level calculates the effect these Effort Points have on Levels that were gained before the Effort Points were earned, from Level 0 (theoretical) to the current Level.

What else, besides battling, influences EVs?

There are two other things that will change your Pokemon’s EVs, and those are Vitamins and the EV-reducing Berries in Emerald.

Vitamins are the items Calcium, Carbos, HP Up, Iron, Protein, and Zinc. They each add 10 EVs to the stat that they correspond to. You can ONLY feed your Pokemon Vitamins until they have 100 EVs in that stat. After that is when you will get the “it has no effect” message. The best time to use Vitamins is before the Pokemon has ever battled, so that you can get all 10 in. It’s expensive, but it saves loads of time EV-training.

In Emerald only, Berries #21-26 will raise your Pokemon’s happiness, and also lower their corresponding stat by 10 EVs. The Berries are Pomeg (HP), Kelpsy (Attack), Qualot (Defense), Hondew (Sp. Attack), Grepa (Sp. Defense), and Tamato (Speed).

The normal message you will get when you feed a Pokemon an EV-reducing Berry is “[Pokemon] adores you! The base [stat] fell!” If there are no more EVs left in that stat, but your Pokemon is not at max happiness, you will get the message “[Pokemon] turned friendly! [Stat] can’t fall any more.” If there are no more EVs left in the stat and your Pokemon is at max happiness, you will get the message “It will have no effect.”

If your Pokemon is holding the Macho Brace item, any EVs it gains in battle will be doubled (so Zubat will give 2 Speed EVs instead of 1). In the case of more than one Pokemon participating in the battle, ONLY the one holding Macho Brace will gain the extra EVs. The other Pokemon that gain EXP will gain the normal amount. The only downside is that Macho Brace will decrease your Pokemon’s Speed while in battle, but it will not affect your Pokemon’s actual Speed stat in any way. Once you remove the Macho Brace, it will be back to normal.

Pokerus also doubles EV gain, without the temporary Speed loss that the Macho Brace gives. With Pokerus AND the Macho Brace, you gain 4 times the EVs from one Pokemon!

What is EV-training?

EV-training means battling only Pokemon that give EVs in the stats that you want to raise, making your Pokemon stronger where it matters most. You will gain EVs just from battling normally, but if you choose who you battle, you can make much better use of the EVs.

In-game, the easiest set to have would be 255 EVs in one stat and 255 in another, giving you a final +63 in each of those two stats. This would just require you battling two kinds of Pokemon until you think you’ve gained all the EVs you can.

For those who have the patience to keep careful track of their EVs, since there is no other way to know exactly what EVs your Pokemon has, the more common set is 252, 252, 6. This is because, while 255 is the max EVs you can have in one stat, you are wasting 3 EVs since 4 EVs = 1 stat point. Putting the last 6 in a third stat means that you won’t waste that one extra stat point. The other common in-game set is 252, 129, 129.

In Netbattle, more complex sets are used, but it’s much harder to do in-game, since you have to keep very careful track of your EVs.

What stats should I EV-train in?

This depends completely on the Pokemon and the moveset you are going to use for it.

For example, let’s say you have an Alakazam with this moveset:

Calm Mind
Psychic
Thunderpunch
Ice Punch

This is what’s known as a Special Sweeper, a Pokemon that uses Special Attacks, and usually one stat-increasing move, to quickly wipe out an opponent’s team. These Pokemon need power and speed, so you would want to max out its Special Attack and Speed EVs to make it as effective as possible.

A Tank, which usually has mostly defensive or recovering moves, would want EVs in Defense, Sp. Defense, and HP.

www.smogon.com has moveset and EV spread recommendations, or if you want to ask for opinions on a specific Pokemon, you can go to the RMT section of the forums.

Where are good places to EV-train my Pokemon?

I’m not going to go into what Trainers have Pokemon with what EVs, just the BASIC places to EV-train. The best places are ones that have only (or mostly) Pokemon that give the EVs that you want, so you can do it as quickly as possible.

The other option is Secret Bases, which I’ll get into further down.

Ruby/Sapphire:

HP – Whismur (1 EV) in Rusturf Tunnel OR Marill (2 EVs) Surfing in Petalburg OR Wailmer (1 EV) fishing with Super Rod in many Routes, including 105-110
Attack – Shuppet (1 EV) in Mt. Pyre (Sapphire only) OR Carvanha (1 EV) and Sharpedo (2 EVs) with the Super Rod, Route 118 east of Mauville
Sp. Attack – Numel (1 EV) on Route 112 (run from Marill)
Defense – Clamperl (1 EV) in the grass underwater when using Dive, anywhere (run from Chinchou and Relicanth)
Sp. Defense – Tentacool (1 EV) and Tentacruel (2 EVs) Surfing almost anywhere (run from any other Pokemon)
Speed – Wingull (1 EV), Zigzagoon (1 EV), Electrike (1 EV), Linoone (2 EVs) and Manectric (2 EVs) on Route 118 (run from Kecleon)

Emerald:

HP – Whismur (1 EV) in Rusturf Tunnel OR Marill (2 EVs) Surfing in Petalburg OR Wailmer (1 EV) fishing with Super Rod in many Routes, including 105-110
Attack – Shuppet (1 EV) in Mt. Pyre
Sp. Attack – Spinda (1 EV) and Slugma (1 EV) in Route 113 east of Fallarbor (run from Skarmory) OR Numel (1 EV) on Route 112 (run from Marill)
Defense – Geodude (1 EV), Graveler (2 EVs) and Torkoal (2 EVs) in the Team Magma Base
Sp. Defense - Tentacool (1 EV) and Tentacruel (2 EVs) Surfing almost anywhere (run from any other Pokemon)
Speed – Zubat (1 EV) in Altering Cave

FireRed/LeafGreen

HP – Dunsparce (1 EV) in the grass outside of the cave on Three Island
Attack – Paras (1 EV) in the lower levels of Mt. Moon
Sp. Attack – Gastly (1 EV) and Haunter (2 EVs) in Pokemon Tower (run from Cubone)
Defense – Tangela (1 EV) in the grass south of Pallet Town
Sp. Defense - Tentacool (1 EV) and Tentacruel (2 EVs) Surfing almost anywhere (run from any other Pokemon)
Speed – Diglett (1 EV) and Dugtrio (1 EV) in Diglett’s Cave

Secret Base EV-training only works in R/S/E, and only if you have two games, or a friend with a game. In your other game, make a team of 6 of the same Pokemon that give 3 EVs to the stat that you want. Establish a Secret Base, then mix records with your main game. You now have a place to battle, once a day, where you can get 18 EVs each day (double/four times that if you have the Macho Brace/Pokerus/both). It’s also a good idea to get rid of all attacking moves on the Pokemon in the base, so that they’re easier to fight.

Here are suggestions for Pokemon to obtain that don’t take a lot of effort to train up to their final forms:

HP – Azumarill
Attack – Shiftry, Victreebel
Sp. Attack – Beautifly
Defense – Golem
Sp. Defense – Dustox
Speed – Raichu, Jumpluff

If you want to know which other Pokemon give which EVs, you can search the site’s Pokedex by EV type, here:

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/ev.shtml

How do I know what EVs my Pokemon has, or when their EVs are maxed out?

Unfortunately, there’s no way to know what EVs your Pokemon has unless you have been keeping track of each and every Pokemon you battle.

However, in R/S/E, there is a woman in the Slateport Market who will give your Pokemon an Effort Ribbon when their EVs are maxed out (all 510). There is no way to know if your Pokemon has maxed EVs in FR/LG.

What else should I know before I start EV training?

Rare Candies: These items have NO ill effects on your Pokemon, they merely raise your Pokemon’s level without giving them any EVs. They are helpful to use on low-level Pokemon, to get them to a decent level before you start battling for EVs, or on Pokemon that already have full EVs, so that you don’t have to waste the time battling to level them up.

The one thing you don’t want to do is to raise your Pokemon ONLY on Rare Candies, since this will mean they will gain no EVs, and therefore be weaker than Pokemon with full EVs.

LV 100 Pokemon: LV 100 Pokemon can not gain EVs, since EV-gain is based on gaining EXP in battle, which LV 100 Pokemon don’t do. However, you CAN raise their EVs with Vitamins. In G/S/C there was a “box trick” where you could battle with a LV 100 Pokemon, then deposit it into the PC and withdraw it, and it would have the stat gain from the EVs it obtained through battle, but this does not work in any of the 3rd gen games.

DVs – Dynamic Values

What are DVs?

In the 3rd gen games, DVs are just a term to describe ALL of the values in the game that affect a Pokemon’s stats, and make one Pokemon different from the other. Besides IVs and EVs, here are the others:

Level

The one basic thing that every player knows is that when your Pokemon’s level rises, so do their stats. The stats your Pokemon will have at certain levels (not counting any of the other DVs, like EVs/IVs/Nature/etc) is determined by its base stats, which are listed in each Pokemon’s entry in the main site’s Pokedex.

Natures

You can see a list of all Natures on the main site, here (http://www.serebii.net/games/natures.shtml). Each Nature raises one stat by 10%, and lowers another by 10%. There are no Natures that affect the HP stat.

There are also five neutral Natures (Hardy, Docile, Serious, Bashful, and, Quirky) which raise and lower the same stat, so they do not affect your Pokemon’s stats at all.

Okay, so it doesn’t affect stats, but this still counts as a DV. Each Pokemon has a number from 0 to 255 that controls their gender. With Pokemon that are either always male, always female, or genderless, they still have a number, but it doesn’t really affect anything.

For Pokemon with a 50/50 chance of being male/female, a GV from 0 – 127 will mean they will be female, and one from 128 – 255 will mean they will be male.

For Pokemon with a 75/25 chance of being male/female, a GV from 0 – 63 will mean they will be female, and one from 64 – 255 will mean they will be male.

For Pokemon with a 25/75 chance of being male/female, a GV from 0 – 191 will mean they will be female, and one from 192 – 255 will mean they will be male.

For Pokemon with a 12.5/87.5 chance of being male/female (no, I am not making this up—this is the normal ratio for Pokemon like starters, Eevee, etc), a GV from 0 – 223 will mean they will be female, and one from 224 – 255 will mean they will be male.

Useful Resources

These are all the things I find helpful for dealing with DVs. Most have been linked throughout the guide, but here they all are in one place, plus a few more:

Pages on the main site
IV Equation (http://www.serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml)
IV Calculator (http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calc.shtml)
HP Equation (http://www.serebii.net/games/hidden-power.shtml)
Natures Page (http://www.serebii.net/games/natures.shtml)
Pokemon listed by what EVs they give (http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/ev.shtml)

Other pages

Metalkid's Site (http://www.metalkid.info)
Kept meaning to add this. >>;; It has a downloadable program that not only has a very accurate IV calculator but an entire Pokemon planner that can help you calculate stats with different IVs/EVs, choose moves, find breeding chains, and more.

Psypoke’s Stat Calculator (http://www.psypokes.com/dex/stats.php)
GREAT tool, just input the Pokemon, level, and their EVs/IVs/Nature, and it will tell you what stat it will have.

Smogon.com (www.smogon.com)
Site with moveset and EV spread suggestions for every Pokemon.

Thanks to:

Whompithian for their EV equation and their massive help on the IVs section, Psypoke for lots of info, Pokemon Forever/Pokefor (and archive.org for helping me find deleted pages) for even more info, and everyone on the forums for asking loads of questions I wanted to answer. :)

If you have anything you think I should add, change, whatever, please let me know! I’d prefer you to PM me, but you can post suggestions here if you’re adding something to the actual discussion as well.

OgLoc187
4th February 2006, 7:19 PM
How come my lvl 16 bagon (has had 188 sp.att) won't accept calcium?

TRJessie579
4th February 2006, 7:26 PM
Because it already has 100 EVs or more in that stat.

Vitamins are the items Calcium, Carbos, HP Up, Iron, Protein, and Zinc. They each add 10 EVs to the stat that they correspond to. You can ONLY feed your Pokemon Vitamins until they have 100 EVs in that stat. After that is when you will get the “it has no effect” message. The best time to use Vitamins is before the Pokemon has ever battled, so that you can get all 10 in. It’s expensive, but it saves loads of time EV-training.

Whether you battle or use Vitamins to raise that stat, it's still over 100, so further Calcium won't work.

OgLoc187
4th February 2006, 7:29 PM
Oh thanks for the information.

EDIT:Can you make your IV higher?

Finnmonster
5th February 2006, 6:45 PM

The easiest way to explain IVs is that they’re like your Pokemon’s genes. They decide how high each of your Pokemon’s stats can go, and are decided when you catch them or receive them, as an Egg or from another character in the game. They never change. They are also the reason why two of the same newly-caught Pokemon at the same level with the same Nature can have different stats.

There's the answer underlined and... uh, written bold? Thanks, Jessie, this guide is AWESOME.

Expert Evan
5th February 2006, 8:11 PM

impossible to make IVs higher since they are given at birth. We have control over EV distribution at least. When breeding, I take IVs into top consideration as well.

Slim
6th February 2006, 2:18 AM
Good job on the guide! Thanks!

One thing I would add/change is more about the EV-reducing berries in Emerald. You can give enough of them so all of its EVs become zero, and reset the game afterwords. Then, you will have a range for the EVs it has, and also you can use an IV calculator more easily by checking it when it has no EVs. That's the way I've been able to find out my Pokémon's IVs.

Thanks again!

newrubyuser123
9th February 2006, 6:37 AM
does anyone know where to EV train for special attack for my Blaziken ? its got too high HP and ATTACK.. i think it needs more SP. ATK...and its level is too HIGH TO TRAIN WITH SPINDA~.. where should i train my level 71 Blaziken?!?

Expert Evan
9th February 2006, 2:31 PM
does anyone know where to EV train for special attack for my Blaziken ? its got too high HP and ATTACK.. i think it needs more SP. ATK...and its level is too HIGH TO TRAIN WITH SPINDA~.. where should i train my level 71 Blaziken?!?
One idea is to setup a secret base of level 100 gardevoirs that only know memento. hard to raise up to level 100 or involves up to 2 weeks of the mudslide trick in ruby/sapphire, but easy to level up and EV train for sp.att as well.

PhantoM
11th February 2006, 4:29 PM
I must admit, I'm not 100% sure if this is the right FAQ to post this, but I couldn't find anything closer.

I want to train an Arcanine, could you tell me which are the better natures to choose.

I really have no idea when it comes to natures.

Stardust25
11th February 2006, 4:50 PM
Well, there are two ways that you could go, with the physical sweeper or the special sweeper. The physical sweeper is the more common moveset. (And probably the better moveset too. Arcanine has great stats, but it doesn't have a great movepool.) You would use Adamant personality for physical sweeper, and Modest for Special Sweeper.

Arcanine (Adamant Personality)

Howl
Extremespeed
HP Fighting/Ground
Overheat/Fire Blast
@Liechi Berry/Leftovers.

Arcanine (Modest Personality)

Flamethrower/Fire Blast
HP Grass/Water/Ice
Crunch
Extremespeed/Overheat/Sunny Day
@Petaya Berry/Leftovers.

PhantoM
11th February 2006, 5:14 PM
That's awesome, thanks. :D

Crazedyanma
11th February 2006, 6:53 PM
I have a question. If I had 100 ep's in 2 stats and leveled up my pokemon to lv. 100, would my pokemon have 255 ep's in those 2 stats?

Stardust25
11th February 2006, 7:01 PM
I have a question. If I had 100 ep's in 2 stats and leveled up my pokemon to lv. 100, would my pokemon have 255 ep's in those 2 stats?

I don't quite understand your question... If you are asking if you gain EVs automatically as you level up, then no you don't. You only gain EVs from fighting Pokémon and using HP Up/Protein/Iron/Carbos/Calcium/Zinc. But leveling up doesn't have an actual effect on the number of EVs that you have. Of course, if you are leveling up by fighting Pokémon, then your EVs are going to increase, but if you are using Rare Candies for leveling up or the Daycare center, then your Evs are not going to increase at all.

Expert Evan
18th February 2006, 8:39 PM
Here's a tale about bagons:

Almost a week ago, I was getting a bit frustrated with the battle frontier as I kept having one bad luck after another, so I resorted back to breeding for more bagons even though I already had at least 6 that were EV trained and with flawless attack & speed, so back into the daycare were these following:

1. docile male bagon with flawless hp/attack/speed that already knew dragon dance, aerial ace, brick break & double edge and was already at a very high level yet unevolved so it can get along with other bagons.

2. adamant female bagon with flawless attack/speed but was better-than-average at least

So for like the longest time, I was getting undesired offsprings with at least flawless attack/speed but everything else sucked, so my goal was to get at least a wonderfully outstanding bagon with flawless attack/speed and at least outstanding hp/defense so it can better withstand against cursing physical types like snorlax, so along came:

an adamant female bagon that was quadruple flawless in attack/speed/hp/defense but it was still only impressive in abilities since both its sp.att & sp.def sucked, so I still went ahead and EV trained it at 252 attack/speed, 6 HP while not evolving it so I could put into the daycare along with its sire and replace her mother with it so this would increase the chances of getting a triple flawless for sure.

Given now that the docile male bagon and the quadruple flawless adamant female bagon are now in the daycare, a miracle of sorts shortly happened:

A shiny bagon hatched as it appeared mostly green instead of mostly blueish. What made this one a little more special was that it was adamant, impressive in abilities with flawless speed & defense but its attack right away looked less than flawless. For novelty purposes, I went ahead and EV trained this new shiny and evolved it into salamence so I can use it from time to time in the battle frontier. As it turned out, its attack was not all that bad as its DV figured in at 23 and only difference in attack stat was by 4 points compared to if it were flawless, so this salamence can still deal tons of damage especially as a dragon dancer for more pwnage.

Was I completely satisfied at this point? Not quite as I still persisted in getting a wonderfully outstanding bagon that I originally wanted. To make a long story short, I finally got that wonderfully outstanding bagon as it was flawless in attack/speed/defense and looks close to flawless in sp.def even though its only apparent weakness is its HP at a DV of 20. Its sp.att appears to be its lowest DV but I really don't care about it. I was able to EV train it and finally took my bagons out of the daycare.

As a follow up, the docile male bagon with flawless hp/attack/speed is currently at level 91 while the adamant female bagon with flawless hp/attack/speed/defense is at level 76. I intend to evolve them both since I'm currently raising the female up to level 100 and will make it a choice bander while the male will need to evolve for getting along purposes in the event I intend to breed them both again in the future.

MetalKid
18th March 2006, 1:09 AM
There is a way to figure out the exact IVs of your Pokemon before level 20. However, it involves many calculations. I figured it out after about 2.5 months of thinking on and off about how to speed up the process. I have it programmed in v4.00 Alpha of my program, if you want to give it a shot.

Xtra
19th March 2006, 8:35 PM
Okay, I was thinking of breeding my female Grovyle, to get better Special Attack and speed IV's. But the only ones that I have so far that can breed with her is an Aron and a Whismur.

According to the IV calculater I use, Whismur has 15-31 on his Special Attack IV, and 0-11 on his speed IV.

Aron is even more of a question mark, with 9-20 for Special Attack, and 0-18 on his speed IV.

Should I take a chance breeding with one of them, and hope I get good IV's, or wait until I can find a breedable pokemon that I'm more sure of?

sh@dow lugia
22nd March 2006, 3:33 PM
i have a question:
a have maxed out my pokemon's EVs.I will gain a lot of stats when i level up once or forever?

WhiteWizard42
22nd March 2006, 10:50 PM
For those who have the patience to keep careful track of their EVs, since there is no other way to know exactly what EVs your pokemon has, the more common set is 252, 252, 6. This is because, while 255 is the max EVs you can have in one stat, you are wasting 3 EVs since 4 EVs = 1 stat point. Putting the last 6 in a third stat means that you won’t waste that one extra stat point. The other common in-game set is 252, 129, 129.

in emerald, you can train something for 255/255, feed it a berry for each stat, and have it gain 8 EVs in each stat back, for 253. you then have 4 EVs left, to get that last point. it doesn't make a huge difference, but for anyone who wants to have the best stats they can, but don't want to keep track of the number of zubat they've killed, this is an easier way.

Ruby/Sapphire:

Attack – Shuppet (1 EV) in Mt. Pyre (Sapphire only) OR Carvanha (1 EV) and Sharpedo (2 EVs) with the Super Rod, Route 118 east of Mauville
Sp. Attack – Numel (1 EV) on Route 112 (run from Marill)
Defense – Clamperl (1 EV) in the grass underwater when using Dive, anywhere (run from Chinchou and Relicanth)
Sp. Defense – Tentacool (1 EV) and Tentacruel (2 EVs) Surfing almost anywhere (run from any other Pokemon)
Speed – Wingull (1 EV), Zigzagoon (1 EV), Electrike (1 EV), Linoone (2 EVs) and Manectric (2 EVs) on Route 118 (run from Kecleon)

Emerald:

Attack – Shuppet (1 EV) in Mt. Pyre
Sp. Attack – Spinda (1 EV) and Slugma (1 EV) in Route 113 east of Fallarbor (run from Skarmory) OR Numel (1 EV) on Route 112 (run from Marill)
Defense – Geodude (1 EV), Graveler (2 EVs) and Torkoal (2 EVs) in the Team Magma Base
Speed – Zubat (1 EV) in Altering Cave

for SpDef training, if you don't having to run away from fights (it gets annoying after the 85th wingull, believe me), you can bring a sweet-scenter into the abandoned ship, and go to the area where you can dive down. you only run into tentacool/cruel there.

also, you can fight spinda for SpAtk on Ru/Sa, too. and when in route 112 in Ru/Sa, you run from Machop, because that's what you find there. marill isn't there unless you're playing emerald.

LV 100 Pokemon: LV 100 Pokemon can not gain EVs, since EV-gain is based on gaining EXP in battle, which LV 100 Pokemon don’t do. However, you CAN raise their EVs with Vitamins. In G/S/C there was a “box trick” where you could battle with a LV 100 Pokemon, then deposit it into the PC and withdraw it, and it would have the stat gain from the EVs it obtained through battle, but this does not work in any of the 3rd gen games.

Box trick still works, in a way. depositing forces a recalculation of stats, as evidenced by the fact that my Zapdos (lv 50) gained 30some SP attack points when i dropped it in the PC. it just no longer works for finishing off the EVs of a lv 100 poke.

For Pokemon with a 75/50 chance of being male/female, a GV from 0 – 63 will mean they will be female, and one from 64 – 255 will mean they will be male.

For Pokemon with a 50/75 chance of being male/female, a GV from 0 – 191 will mean they will be female, and one from 192 – 255 will mean they will be male.

75 + 50 = 125

percentages should total 100, nothing more, nothing less.

12.5/87.5 (also known as 1/8) ratios apply to snorlax, eevee, starters, and fossils. that's the complete list.

hahaha, azurill sometimes go from female to male when they evolve.

just my little additions.

Ice Cold Glalie
25th March 2006, 9:21 PM
is there a list for the amount of ev's a pokemon gets for battling a pokemon in emerald and what's the best level to start EV training

;362; ICG

Xtra
26th March 2006, 12:12 AM
I'm considering breeding my Grovyle, so I have some Treeco's to trade when I go to JAA in a couple of months. The only thing is, I'm not sure who to breed her with. I want someone taht will give good IV's to her kids, so I'm giving them something worth what they're trading me.

I have 3 choices:Aron, Whismur, and Seviper. Below are their IV ranges. None of them should have egg moves to pass on, so I'm not worried about that.

---

Aron

HP:12-23
Attack:27-31
Defence:23-31
Sp. Attack:9-20
Sp. Defence:20-31
Speed:0-18

---

Whismur

HP:22-31
Attack:0-15
Defence:21-31
Sp. Attack:15-31
Sp. Defence:4-21
Speed:0-11

---
Seviper

HP:14-21
Attack:0-7
Defence:14-20
Sp. Attack:20-27
Sp. Defence:20-27
Speed:10-17

---

Any answers?

Whompithian
26th March 2006, 3:51 AM
is there a list for the amount of ev's a pokemon gets for battling a pokemon in emerald and what's the best level to start EV training

ICG
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/hp.shtml

There are links along the top to other EV groups. As for training, start as soon as you obtain your Pokemon. Use Exp. Share/switching out until it is strong enough to fend for itself, then attach Macho Brace and finish the job. You can Effort Train at any time and end up with the same results, but I prefer to get as early a start on it as possible so that I can concentrate on leveling without haveing to worry about contaminating my EVs.

Pokemon trainer Jeremy
27th March 2006, 1:15 PM
i want HP for my newly hatched speal LV 5 i give my macho brace to salamence give speal expshare and go into victory road and fight haryamas and loudreads when it lv ups more then 1 lv does each lv count as if i was fight another haryama for the EP hp?

reverend_tweek
28th March 2006, 8:19 PM
Here's an interesting problem I've run across. I decided to breed an train a Shedinja, so I bred the moves I wanted into a Nincada, leveled it to 20, got the Shedinja. Here's where the fun part comes in. I went to go buy vitamins for the two stats I wanted to train, 10 of each, and wound up only feeding 7 and 8 of either vitamin to it when I got the "this will have no effect" message. Now, even if the EV's DID carry over from the Nincada, which I didn't think they would, but if they did, getting that message would mean I'd maxed out the EV's in that stat, correct? Well, I went to the effort ribbon lady, and she said that Shedinja still had to try a little harder. What went wrong?

TRJessie579
28th March 2006, 9:46 PM
Pokemon trainer Jeremy - I'm sorry, but can you rephrase your question? I'm really not understanding.

reverend_tweek - The EVs do carry over to the Shedinja, just like everything else. From the FAQ:

Vitamins are the items Calcium, Carbos, HP Up, Iron, Protein, and Zinc. They each add 10 EVs to the stat that they correspond to. You can ONLY feed your Pokemon Vitamins until they have 100 EVs in that stat. After that is when you will get the “it has no effect” message.

There's your problem.

ijea4444
28th March 2006, 10:10 PM
does macho brace double speed or leave it normal? and i think this i right but i want to make sure. If you are battling and u switch out and win do they both get the same ev, split evs or only the one who beat it gets evs ? and i f u lose and switch out to another pokemon does the one who fainted get evs 2?

Pokemon trainer Jeremy - I'm sorry, but can you rephrase your question? I'm really not understanding.

reverend_tweek - The EVs do carry over to the Shedinja, just like everything else. From the FAQ:

There's your problem.

so can the shedinga still get more evs in that stat? and how much can one stat have again? Sorry for not being smart im so sorry :(

TRJessie579
28th March 2006, 11:16 PM
Macho Brace actually HALVES Speed, not doubles it, but only while it's attached (in battle). After it's gone Speed goes back to normal.

As explained in the FAQ, if it gains EXP from the battle, it gains FULL EVs from the defending Pokemon. If it faints it does not gain EVs, because even though it participated in the battle, it did not gain EXP.

Yes, the Shedinja above can still gain more EVs. You can't use Vitamins after that stat has 100 EVs in it, but it can still gain the rest from battling. You can have 255 EVs in one stat.

You don't need to apologize for asking questions, but most of yours were answered right in the FAQ. Instead of having to wait an hour for an answer you can find it out right away by just reading the FAQ.

ijea4444
28th March 2006, 11:29 PM
Like if u battle a zubat do u lose evs or do u get double the evs like if it was another stat (i think zubat gives you speed ev) with macho brace.

TRJessie579
29th March 2006, 12:35 AM
Macho Brace does not effect Speed EVs--it doubles ALL EVs while it's attatched.

It just halves your Pokemon's actual Speed STAT while it's attatched. So if your Pokemon's Speed is 50 it would be 25 in battle with Macho Brace.

Whompithian
30th March 2006, 10:47 AM
i want HP for my newly hatched speal LV 5 i give my macho brace to salamence give speal expshare and go into victory road and fight haryamas and loudreads when it lv ups more then 1 lv does each lv count as if i was fight another haryama for the EP hp?
You will only be awarded the EVs for fighting a single Hariyama, no matter how many levels it causes the Pokemon you are training to rise. Also, your Spheal with Exp. Share will get the regular amount of EVs from the Hariyama, not the double amount, even though your Salamence is holding Macho Brace. (Only the Pokemon holding Macho Brace gets double EVs.)

Ben Kenobi
1st April 2006, 11:15 AM
When would be the best time to start EV training? I started it straight after I started a new game but it is getting quite tedious having to record all the EVs. My first priority is to get through the main game. Any advice?

ijea4444
4th April 2006, 9:05 PM
well ull just have to wait for money for slateport. calcium etc. or just have to deal with it .

Edit: can u use reducing berries an unlimited amount of time or can u only use a maximum of 10 like protein etc.

TRJessie579
5th April 2006, 4:13 AM
I've never EV-trained during the actual game--I find it's tedious, and it's much harder to control what EVs your Pokemon are getting, plus it's not just really needed. I EV-train afterwards, for the Battle Tower, battles with other people, etc.

You can use an unlimited amount of EV-reducing Berries, until the EVs are gone.

xPokerusx
8th April 2006, 9:16 PM
Im a noob at this at this ev training thing and i just wanted to say when im training my bagon in attack only poochyenas,mightyenas and shuppets when he levels up he gets points in other stats is that supposed to happen

TRJessie579
8th April 2006, 9:34 PM
Yes. EVs ADD to your stats, but a Bagon isn't going to have the same stats in, say, HP at LV 20 that it does at LV 5, even if you don't EV-train in HP. This has to do with Base Stats, and the simple fact that higher level Pokemon have higher stats than lower level Pokemon.

PkmnBreederLuke
9th April 2006, 9:45 PM
Right I think it covered this in the first post but I need to double check. I have my level 7 Lileep, just hatched. So I train it against weak Lotads with the macho brace on. Now just say I beat a Lotad, thats 2EV (MBrace) i beat another thats 2 more so +1. Say I beat another 2. That would be +2 to the stat but when i increased to level 8 all stats (barring HP) went +1 up.

Now the first post says that it's not wrong, it's still there and I'm assuming it will add on another time. So is this to keep all my stats kinda even at a low level, when I get to level 20 maybe they'll be more diverse then at level 50 which is when i'll stop training it, they will be how I want?

Thanks, just clearing up so sorry if this is an annoying post ^_^.

SandwichDad
10th April 2006, 1:52 AM
OK, I have a dumb question that I think I know the answer to, but I just want to confirm. If I breed my Pokemon in Emerald and trade them into Fire Red (where I have more money to buy vitamins) and apply the vitamins in Fire Red, then trade it back to Emerald to complete the EV training, will I lose the EVs from the vitamins during the trade?

Or, an easy way to ask the question is does trading change or negate unapplied EVs?

TRJessie579
10th April 2006, 4:12 AM
PkmnBreederLuke - If I understand your question correctly, then you're right. Stat gain from EVs is added up gradually to prevent lower-level Pokemon from having huge stats. As your Pokemon gains more and more levels you will begin to see more of a difference between the stats you have EV-trained and the ones you haven't.

SandwichDad - Nope, trading doesn't affect EVs at all. The ONLY way to reduce EVs is by using the EV-reducing Berries in Emerald. They don't change or "reset" when you trade, evolve, anything.

XD001
10th April 2006, 11:05 AM
Ok I have a Question:

Lets Say I Purify And Fresh Shroomish From XD, Then Transfer It To Emerald, Give It EXP Share And Battle With My Mew Until The EXP Share Gets Enough To level Shroomish Upto LV 30 And Evolve Into Breloom, Did Breloom Get Any EV Points?

If So How Do I get Rid Of Them?

My Breloom Has 31 In Attack And Defence With And Adamant Nature, Also Knowing False Swipe, So I'd Like To Keep Her

xPokerusx
10th April 2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks Jessie.
XDOO1 yeah they do get ev points as if they were in a regular battle.
And to get rid of them i think you give berrys that lower certain stats.i dont remember the exact name of the berrys tho.

XD001
10th April 2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks Jessie.
XDOO1 yeah they do get ev points as if they were in a regular battle.
And to get rid of them i think you give berrys that lower certain stats.i dont remember the exact name of the berrys tho.

Thanks I'll Look For The Berry Names

PkmnBreederLuke
10th April 2006, 12:51 PM
PkmnBreederLuke - If I understand your question correctly, then you're right. Stat gain from EVs is added up gradually to prevent lower-level Pokemon from having huge stats. As your Pokemon gains more and more levels you will begin to see more of a difference between the stats you have EV-trained and the ones you haven't.

Exactly what I meant, thanks. ^_^

XD001
10th April 2006, 2:37 PM
Are These It:

Pomeg (HP), Kelpsy (Attack), Qualot (Defense), Hondew (Sp. Attack), Grepa (Sp. Defense), and Tamato (Speed) Berries?

And Is It True, When You use Them On Lv 100 Pokemon You can Do The Box Stat Trick?

ijea4444
10th April 2006, 3:05 PM
those are the right berries and no the box trick wont work.

DarkSpectrum
10th April 2006, 3:35 PM
Are These It:

Pomeg (HP), Kelpsy (Attack), Qualot (Defense), Hondew (Sp. Attack), Grepa (Sp. Defense), and Tamato (Speed) Berries?

And Is It True, When You use Them On Lv 100 Pokemon You can Do The Box Stat Trick?
The box trick only worked for the 2nd gen games... the gba games are 3rd gen

XD001
10th April 2006, 4:10 PM
The box trick only worked for the 2nd gen games... the gba games are 3rd gen

I Read On Another Thread That, You Lower The Ev's And Train Against Pokemon To Build The Ev's back Up, Store It Into The Box And The Stats Gained The Ev's

DarkSpectrum
10th April 2006, 4:21 PM
I Read On Another Thread That, You Lower The Ev's And Train Against Pokemon To Build The Ev's back Up, Store It Into The Box And The Stats Gained The Ev's
that's from the 2nd gen (gold, silver, crystal) like i said... not the 3rd gen

Whompithian
11th April 2006, 3:16 AM
This works for Pokemon that are not Level 100. If you Effort Train a Pokemon, but it doesn't Level Up, you can place it in the PC to force the stats to be recalculated. But, if you try to Effort Train a Pokemon that is already Level 100, it does not gain any Effort Points from battling so there is nothing to recalculate and the Pokemon's stats will still be the same after you pull it out of the box.

T BLAZE
11th April 2006, 10:51 PM
I Need Help With Ev I Just Dont Get It I Read Everything But I Dont Get It My Pokemon Im Ev Training Is Absol His Stats Are

Hp=75
Attack=81
Defense=39
Sp.atk=44
Sp.def=35
Speed=44

P.s. Im Working On His Attack His Nature Is Lax Can Any Body HELP ME And Im Fighing The Right Pokemon Help

TRJessie579
12th April 2006, 4:27 AM
...I'm sorry, I'm not getting it. What do you need help with, exactly?

If you're fighting only Pokemon that give Attack EVs, and Absol hasn't fought ANY other Pokemon before, then you're doing everything right.

T BLAZE
12th April 2006, 10:26 AM
...I'm sorry, I'm not getting it. What do you need help with, exactly?

If you're fighting only Pokemon that give Attack EVs, and Absol hasn't fought ANY other Pokemon before, then you're doing everything right.

BUT CAN YOU TELL ME IF THE STATS LOOK OK FOR MY LV.24 ABSOL

ijea4444
12th April 2006, 3:03 PM
There is no way to kow how it should be. u need to wait for higher levels to see real progress

TRJessie579
12th April 2006, 6:04 PM
BUT CAN YOU TELL ME IF THE STATS LOOK OK FOR MY LV.24 ABSOL

That's completely impossible to tell.

What those stats should be depends on exactly how MANY Pokemon you've fought, as well as what your Pokemon's IVs are.

If you know your Absol's IVs AND how many Attack EV giving Pokemon you've fought, you can use Whompithian's equation that's given in the first post. Otherwise, there's no way for any of us to tell if the stats are on track.

Like I said, if you're only fighting Pokemon that are giving Attack EVs then you're doing everything right. Just keep going.

ijea4444
12th April 2006, 6:11 PM
in Xd& in colo when ur pokemon is shadow do they get evs or do we have to wait 4 purification (starting playing xd cuz its so boring)

T BLAZE
12th April 2006, 7:58 PM
Okey Thanks ^_^

WhiteWizard42
12th April 2006, 11:01 PM
in Xd& in colo when ur pokemon is shadow do they get evs or do we have to wait 4 purification (starting playing xd cuz its so boring)

if i remember correctly, shadows start getting EXP and EVs when they are 2/5 purified (in other words, when they have 3 or less full bars of shadow left)

ShinyFufu
13th April 2006, 2:30 AM
Here's a tale about bagons:

Almost a week ago, I was getting a bit frustrated with the battle frontier as I kept having one bad luck after another, so I resorted back to breeding for more bagons even though I already had at least 6 that were EV trained and with flawless attack & speed, so back into the daycare were these following:

1. docile male bagon with flawless hp/attack/speed that already knew dragon dance, aerial ace, brick break & double edge and was already at a very high level yet unevolved so it can get along with other bagons.

2. adamant female bagon with flawless attack/speed but was better-than-average at least

So for like the longest time, I was getting undesired offsprings with at least flawless attack/speed but everything else sucked, so my goal was to get at least a wonderfully outstanding bagon with flawless attack/speed and at least outstanding hp/defense so it can better withstand against cursing physical types like snorlax, so along came:

an adamant female bagon that was quadruple flawless in attack/speed/hp/defense but it was still only impressive in abilities since both its sp.att & sp.def sucked, so I still went ahead and EV trained it at 252 attack/speed, 6 HP while not evolving it so I could put into the daycare along with its sire and replace her mother with it so this would increase the chances of getting a triple flawless for sure.

Given now that the docile male bagon and the quadruple flawless adamant female bagon are now in the daycare, a miracle of sorts shortly happened:

A shiny bagon hatched as it appeared mostly green instead of mostly blueish. What made this one a little more special was that it was adamant, impressive in abilities with flawless speed & defense but its attack right away looked less than flawless. For novelty purposes, I went ahead and EV trained this new shiny and evolved it into salamence so I can use it from time to time in the battle frontier. As it turned out, its attack was not all that bad as its DV figured in at 23 and only difference in attack stat was by 4 points compared to if it were flawless, so this salamence can still deal tons of damage especially as a dragon dancer for more pwnage.

Was I completely satisfied at this point? Not quite as I still persisted in getting a wonderfully outstanding bagon that I originally wanted. To make a long story short, I finally got that wonderfully outstanding bagon as it was flawless in attack/speed/defense and looks close to flawless in sp.def even though its only apparent weakness is its HP at a DV of 20. Its sp.att appears to be its lowest DV but I really don't care about it. I was able to EV train it and finally took my bagons out of the daycare.

As a follow up, the docile male bagon with flawless hp/attack/speed is currently at level 91 while the adamant female bagon with flawless hp/attack/speed/defense is at level 76. I intend to evolve them both since I'm currently raising the female up to level 100 and will make it a choice bander while the male will need to evolve for getting along purposes in the event I intend to breed them both again in the future.

I have obtained 3 female tailows, each with their own flawless IV to claim. The calm one has fl. HP, the hasty one has fl. SPeed, and the Bold one has fl. attack. I want to pass on all of these IVs to a bagon, along with the moves A-Ace and D-Dance. I plan to use this breeding chain: Swellow-------> Altaria-------> Salamance with A-ace and D-Dance as egg moves and Fl. Attk, HP, and Speed. How should I do that?

Mr_Confused
18th April 2006, 11:42 PM
i have two questions
1. if i use experience share and i fight a clamperl will the pokemon gain one effort point to its ev for defense or half a point? because im trying to train a ninjask in defense and it doesnt seem to be getting all the points it should.
2. if i battle three clamperls and then level up does my ninjask's effort points carry over to the next level like i only need to get one more effort point to get a stat increase?

TRJessie579
19th April 2006, 4:40 AM
1:

EV-gain is tied to gaining EXP from battle, so you must defeat the opponent Pokemon to gain the EVs. This also means that any Pokemon that gains EXP from the battle gains full EVs from the defending Pokemon, whether they actually defeat the Pokemon, only participate in the battle (even without attacking), or are holding the EXP Share.

So your Pokemon would gain 1 EV holding the EXP Share.

2:

VERY IMPORTANT—Stat gain from EVs is NOT added up all at once, but gradually as your Pokemon gains levels.

So you will still have 3 EVs that will be added to your total EVs. If you gain 1 more EV, you won't necessarily get an automatic +1 to that stat. So it doesn't matter how many EVs you gain before you level up.

Mr_Confused
19th April 2006, 4:44 PM
1:

So your Pokemon would gain 1 EV holding the EXP Share.

2:

So you will still have 3 EVs that will be added to your total EVs. If you gain 1 more EV, you won't necessarily get an automatic +1 to that stat. So it doesn't matter how many EVs you gain before you level up.

ok cause i just defeated 18 magikarps with suddowoodo with macho brace and only got +1 in speed when i leveled up

DarkSpectrum
19th April 2006, 5:54 PM
ok cause i just defeated 18 magikarps with suddowoodo with macho brace and only got +1 in speed when i leveled up
Sounds perfectly plausible. especially if ur sudowoodo is a low level.
Don't worry about how much each level increases because all your ev's are kept in a hidden sum value and are slowly added to ur stats until you finally reach level 100 where all the stats are final

amulekbird
19th April 2006, 6:08 PM
Here's something I've been wondering about. I know people have their opinions on this, but coding of the game doesn't seem to agree.

Suppose you raise a poke to LV 100. Then, using berries, you eliminate ALL EVs (stupid move, but humor me). Now you give it 10 vitamins in five stats and 1 of the other. Will it have the same stats as it would have had if you gave it those vitamins back at level..say 20? Essentially, is the EV training COMPLETELY math-based or do you have to give EVs "time" to kick in?

By all EV discussion, at LV 100, two pokes with the same IVs and the same EVs should have the same stats...no matter when the EV training occurred, correct?

MetalMario
19th April 2006, 8:29 PM
That depends on whether or not said Pokémon already had some EVs when it was at L20.

In Pokémon, stat calculation is totally analytical. The game doesn't "tack on" stats as you level up, but rather, just recalculates them every level based on base stats/IVs/EVs/nature.

amulekbird
19th April 2006, 8:35 PM
Maybe I didn't word my question right. If a Lv 100 poke has the exact same nature, IVs, and EVs, does it matter (to its stats) when it got the EVs?

TRJessie579
20th April 2006, 4:16 AM
No, it does not. Whether all the EVs were gained at LV 20 or LV 100, the stats will be the same in the end.

This is why you can take a LV 99 Pokemon with no EVs, fully EV-train it, and see a 63+ stat gain when it levels up. :D

ijea4444
20th April 2006, 1:56 PM
do evs change the higher the higher the pokemon? that doesnt sound understandable so how about if u batle a level 15 numel and then battle a level 40 numel ( who would keep a level 40 numel without evolving i dont know) would they both give you 1 sp. atk?

DarkSpectrum
20th April 2006, 2:54 PM
do evs change the higher the higher the pokemon? that doesnt sound understandable so how about if u batle a level 15 numel and then battle a level 40 numel ( who would keep a level 40 numel without evolving i dont know) would they both give you 1 sp. atk?
Yes... no matter what level it is... each pokemon has a special amount of ev points it gives... the only thing that changes is the amount of experience points it gives.

Antero
20th April 2006, 10:25 PM
I figured this would be the most appropriate place to ask my question. What level are the base statistics taken from on the Serebii Pokédex?

Thanks.

Atoyont
20th April 2006, 11:05 PM
I figured this would be the most appropriate place to ask my question. What level are the base statistics taken from on the Serebii Pokédex?

Thanks.
They get them from the actual game.
Not sure how they do it, though.

ijea4444
20th April 2006, 11:11 PM
Yes... no matter what level it is... each pokemon has a special amount of ev points it gives... the only thing that changes is the amount of experience points it gives.

what do u mean by "the only thing that changes is the amount of experience points it gives." i dont u nderstand.

Antero
20th April 2006, 11:18 PM
They get them from the actual game.
Not sure how they do it, though.

I see, does anyone know how they come about these values?

Atoyont
20th April 2006, 11:47 PM
I believe that there is a discrepansy conserning the EV guide on the main site. It says that "for every four Effort Points you get, your Pokémon gets one more point in that stat." However, it says that, "one Pokémon can have a total of 255 Effort Points per stat, giving it a total of 32 extra points in that stat." You see, dividing 255 by 4 gets closer to 64, which would give a Pokémon a chance to get an extra 64 points in one stat. So, which one is right?

WhiteWizard42
20th April 2006, 11:56 PM
I believe that there is a discrepansy conserning the EV guide on the main site. It says that "for every four Effort Points you get, your Pokémon gets one more point in that stat." However, it says that, "one Pokémon can have a total of 255 Effort Points per stat, giving it a total of 32 extra points in that stat." You see, dividing 255 by 4 gets closer to 64, which would give a Pokémon a chance to get an extra 64 points in one stat. So, which one is right?

they must've mistyped it. the actual gain from EV training is a maximum of 63 points. (255/4 = 63.75, and since you can't have a fraction of a point, the game rounds down)

TRJessie579
21st April 2006, 12:21 AM
The guide on the main site has some major mistakes in it, which is one of the reasons I wrote THIS one.

ijea4444 - They mean the EXP, the experience points, that you get from battling a higher level Pokemon will be more, but the EVs don't change--a LV 5 Numel will give the same EVs as a LV 100 one.

Antero - I used to know this...I BELIEVE it's the stat the Pokemon will have at LV 25 (with no EVs, Nature, etc) but I'm not completely sure.

EDIT: Okay, I'm wrong on the base stats thing... XD The only thing I can find about them is that they're "used in the formulas that calculate a Pokemon's stats." So maybe they're not anything specific, they're just bits of data that determine how high each species of Pokemons' stats can go.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
21st April 2006, 2:34 AM
I never bothered to keep track of my pokemon's EV's, something which became a problem for me. Serebii's Pokemon of the week says to max out it's defense and HP, so to be safe, should I just EV train it in defense for one level, then EV train it in HP alternating levels?

Also, are EV gains spread out? I gave 10 Calciums to my Lugia, which should have given it a 25 point boost in sp. attack, but it only went up 3-4 points.

ijea4444
21st April 2006, 3:08 AM
i think with carbos, iron etc. you get the 4 ev- means 1 stat boost i little after u give it to them but im not sure at all.

amulekbird
21st April 2006, 3:09 AM
the vitamins give you 10 EVs, not 4

ijea4444
21st April 2006, 3:15 AM
i mean for every 4 evs u get you get a i poinnt bonus on your stats so i mean the 4 evs so in his case i think it was 4 so he had 4o evs so he should have gotten a 10 point stat boost.

WhiteWizard42
21st April 2006, 3:20 AM
I never bothered to keep track of my pokemon's EV's, something which became a problem for me. Serebii's Pokemon of the week says to max out it's defense and HP, so to be safe, should I just EV train it in defense for one level, then EV train it in HP alternating levels?

Also, are EV gains spread out? I gave 10 Calciums to my Lugia, which should have given it a 25 point boost in sp. attack, but it only went up 3-4 points.
well, to begin with, the stat changes happen immediately upon feeding the pokemon the vitamin, so if you only saw the 3-4 stat change on leveling up, that's why. also, unless your pokemon is level 100, they don't get full benefit from EVs right away. if your pokemon is at level 49, and gains 104 EVs in a stat (from something other than vitamins, because i'm talking about it all being calculated at the same time), they'd gain 13 extra points on leveling up, not 26.

Antero - I used to know this...I BELIEVE it's the stat the Pokemon will have at LV 25 (with no EVs, Nature, etc) but I'm not completely sure.

EDIT: Okay, I'm wrong on the base stats thing... XD The only thing I can find about them is that they're "used in the formulas that calculate a Pokemon's stats." So maybe they're not anything specific, they're just bits of data that determine how high each species of Pokemons' stats can go.

with a neutral nature, and 0 IVs and EVs, a pokemon's stats at level 50 will be their base in that stat + 5. the exception to this is HP, which is their base stat, + 10 + their level.

this is because the stat formulae are:

((((base*2)+(IVs)+(EVs/4, rounded down))*level/100)+5)*personality for non-HP stats and
((((base*2)+(IVs)+(EVs/4, rounded down))*level/100)+10+level) for HP.

with no IVs, EVs, or personality modifier, you're left with:

(2base*level/100)+5 which simplifies to
(base*level/50)+5

if level = 50, it cancels and leaves you with base + 5 for your stat. do the same for HP, you get:

(base*level/100)+10+level and the same applies if level = 50 again, leaving you with the thing i posted above.

eddmeister
25th April 2006, 5:25 AM
so if i max out the poke's IV's and i use therare candies so i dont have to train it forever will it still get the EV bonus(more to that stat...)?

DarkSpectrum
25th April 2006, 9:31 AM
so if i max out the poke's IV's and i use therare candies so i dont have to train it forever will it still get the EV bonus(more to that stat...)?
As long as you max out the evs... (all 510) then no matter how u level up, by battle or candies, then the pokemon will recieve its full bonus.

Expert Evan
25th April 2006, 5:22 PM
In my recent breeding quests for pokemon with flawless IVs, I am in the process of coming up with a standardized convention to identify which of my key pokemon for breeding purposes have flawless IVs based on what the breeding expert says in battle frontier in emerald. I've been using the markings and have named my pokemon with abbreviations, but there's a certain limit to the naming. In a different topic, I saw Volteon used numbers from 1-6. I'm considering the first letter of each stat as follows:

H = HP
A = Attack
D = Defense

This is where it gets tricky so I've come up with as follows:

S = Speed
Y = Special Attack (vowel like A in attack)
Z = Special Defense (Z as in zinc)

In my current breedings involving a spinda with flawless hp/attack/speed and a meditite, I nicknamed my spinda as "SpinHAS". Here's how I forsee certain nickname examples:

DModHYS = modest ditto with flawless hp/sp.att/speed
DBoldHDZ = bold ditto with flawless hp/defense/sp.def
DAdamHAS = adamant ditto with flawless hp/attack/speed
DCareADZ = careful ditto with flawless attack/defense/sp.def
DCalmHYZ = calm ditto with flawless hp/sp.att/sp.def

SmearHAS = smeargle with flawless hp/attack/speed

Hopefully this should help.

v_legendary25
28th April 2006, 7:55 PM
Hi all,

Just a quick question. 'Bout EV training..

- Generally how long does it take to max out the EV's
- If all EV's were maxed by level 90, could rare candies be used to get to Lv100.

MegaJunior
28th April 2006, 7:58 PM
-If you start training them while they are lvl 5, they're maxed out around 26.
-You can use Rare Candy's after that, because it already has it EV's.

TYRANITARDUDE
29th April 2006, 12:32 AM
here it is:
sceptile;254;
lv:36
fury cutter
pursuit
rock tomb
leaf blade

swellow;277;
lv:35
endeavor
wing attack
thief
steel wing

gyarados;130;
thrash
bite
dragon rage
surf

slaking;289;
slash
secret power
rock smash
fury swipes

hope you like it.i only have 5 badges because i erased my game.

ijea4444
29th April 2006, 1:48 AM
you should be able to ev train but that is to hard. i got no commenets sorry im no help. ( Feels sorry )

Sunkern
29th April 2006, 6:43 PM
Hindering/neutral/beneficial natures. What is the best way to calculate which a pokemon has?

Also, Say I have a Vaporeon, with Beneficial nature, the site says he would have 251 for attack, does that mean I can EV train him and get him 255 more in that stat, or is 251 the maximum he can reach with EV training?

Stupid questions, I know, but I want to get this right.

WhiteWizard42
29th April 2006, 6:51 PM
Hindering/neutral/beneficial natures. What is the best way to calculate which a pokemon has?

Also, Say I have a Vaporeon, with Beneficial nature, the site says he would have 251 for attack, does that mean I can EV train him and get him 255 more in that stat, or is 251 the maximum he can reach with EV training?

Stupid questions, I know, but I want to get this right.
just see what nature it has, and check the main site as to which stat it boosts/lowers. for example, if you check on your pokemon's summary screen, it says "_____ nature", then where and what level you met it.

also, the main site listing of max stat values assumes you have flawless IVs (all 31s), and have 252 EVs in that stat. also, remember that it takes 4 EVs to boost a stat 1 point. so, EV training can provide 63 extra points, not 255.

Sunkern
29th April 2006, 6:54 PM

EDIT - Regarding breeding, If you were to max a stat on both parents, would the infant automatically be able to reach that number with EV's, hence you can move on to the next stat with that poke, or do you need to go from scratch and hope its IV's were improved?

Expert Evan
29th April 2006, 7:33 PM
given that 3 IVs are inherited, here's been the pattern with my recent breeding involving roselia & skitty:

Start:

male roselia with flawless hp/defense/sp.def/speed
female delcatty with no flawless ivs

replaced delcatty with offspring skitty with flawless sp.def

replaced skitty with offspring skitty with flawless defense/sp.def

hope this is clear enough.

WhiteWizard42
29th April 2006, 7:36 PM

EDIT - Regarding breeding, If you were to max a stat on both parents, would the infant automatically be able to reach that number with EV's, hence you can move on to the next stat with that poke, or do you need to go from scratch and hope its IV's were improved?
i'm not quite sure what you're asking. but EVs aren't inherited.

Sunkern
29th April 2006, 7:47 PM
Sorry, I didnt word that well. However the post above yours made me realise the answer to my question, so don't worry :)

Ellie
29th April 2006, 8:14 PM
Okay, I have a question I couldn't find the answer to. In Emerald, the IV guy says it's "flawless" when your Pokemon's best IV is 31. But, if you have two that are 31, does he say both are flawless, or does he choose one to say is flawless?

WhiteWizard42
29th April 2006, 8:42 PM
Okay, I have a question I couldn't find the answer to. In Emerald, the IV guy says it's "flawless" when your Pokemon's best IV is 31. But, if you have two that are 31, does he say both are flawless, or does he choose one to say is flawless?
he chooses one at random. talk to him a few times for each pokemon, so he has a chance to say all their flawlesses.

ijea4444
29th April 2006, 8:50 PM
So u should do that about like 10 times to make sure. That is what i do.

hmaster10
30th April 2006, 6:58 AM
when talking to the pokemon breeder at BF, can i use the hatch pokemon immediately to show him and tell me the IV of it or the pokemon should gain levels first?

WhiteWizard42
30th April 2006, 7:46 AM
when talking to the pokemon breeder at BF, can i use the hatch pokemon immediately to show him and tell me the IV of it or the pokemon should gain levels first?
IVs don't change as it levels up. you'll get exactly the same response whether you bring it to him at level 5 or level 100.

the reason why people usually have to raise levels before figuring out IVs is because all they're given to work with is the final stats, which are rounded. but the higher-level the stats you're trying to work backward from are, the more accurate your IV range is. since the breeder at BF is in the game, and has access to the information that's hidden from us, he's always right.

Sunkern
30th April 2006, 9:29 PM
Okay, I've been HP training my Grovyle, and simultaneously Swellow with exp. Share. I just wanted to make sure I am getting the right results.

Grovyle= 2x Levelled up, each time 10 HP gain.
Swellow= 3x levelled up, 5,6,6 HP gain.

Do these numbers sound right? This is battling Whismurs, I battled 180 to get to the above numbers.

WhiteWizard42
30th April 2006, 11:06 PM
Okay, I've been HP training my Grovyle, and simultaneously Swellow with exp. Share. I just wanted to make sure I am getting the right results.

Grovyle= 2x Levelled up, each time 10 HP gain.
Swellow= 3x levelled up, 5,6,6 HP gain.

Do these numbers sound right? This is battling Whismurs, I battled 180 to get to the above numbers.
seems like it's working. when your stat boosts go back down to 3 or less, you're probably maxed out on that stat.

also, you can speed it up by giving your grovyle a macho brace, if you haven't already.

DFK
30th April 2006, 11:44 PM
How are IVs passed down in breeding? Do they come from one parent only?

Expert Evan
1st May 2006, 12:01 AM
Here's an example of a male mild seviper I just got:

father: golduck: flawless hp/defense/sp.att/speed
mother: seviper: flawless sp.att/speed

offspring: male mild seviper: flawless hp/sp.att/speed/attack

it obviously got hp from its father and got sp.att & speed from either parents. flawless attack was luckily random this time.

houndoom15
3rd May 2006, 2:32 AM
I've just started EV training and I was wondering, How do all of you people who EV train alot do it? Just fight every pokemon you see?

WhiteWizard42
3rd May 2006, 9:51 PM
go to areas that have a lot of pokemon that give the EVs you're looking for (for example, route 113 (?) for special attack, with spinda and slugma, or 118/altering cave for speed.

T BLAZE
6th May 2006, 5:52 AM
Im Ev Training My Bagon On Her Attack Nature Careful Lv.13

Hp=36
Attack=29
Defense=21
Sp.atk=15
Sp.def=14
Speed=19

Do This Look Good Or Bad?

houndoom15
8th May 2006, 3:15 AM
Do you keep track of your Ev progress? If so, how?

And also, People say that they breed pokemon with flawless sp. Atk. and such, and their offspring have flawless sp. atk. Does that mean that you can have maxed stats on newborn pokemon?

SandwichDad
9th May 2006, 8:14 PM
I messed up somehow. I'm training my Venusaur for the EV spread 252 HP/252SDef/6 Speed. I gave my lvl 5 Bulbasuar 10 HP Ups and 10 Zincs and took it out into the big bad world, using the Exp. Share and Macho Brace to defeat the equivalent of 152 Whismur, 152 Tentacool and 6 Zubat. It was at lvl 30 when I completed this process, which is about average for me to complete EV training. But, when I went to the lady next to the Energy Guru in Slateport, she said that I haven't gotten all of my EVs yet. So, I figured I'd miscounted once or twice, went back and defeated 5 more Tentacool and 5 more Whismur. Went back and the lady told me the same thing!!! I've gone back and defeated a bunch more Tentacool and Whismur. I don't really want to go back and try more Zubat because I don't want that speed to take away any of the EVs that I want to go toward HP and SDef. I'm at a complete loss of how a 31 year old man with a college degree in information technology can be unable to count!!!!

I guess my question is: if I go back and keep battling Tentacool and Whismur, with the EVs earned after 255 just not count, or will they not be applied to the stat, but take away from the possibility of earning more EVs in another stat?

For example, if my Venusaur defeats 510 Whismur, it will only get 255 EVs. Will those extra 255 EVs that it got not count toward anything, or will they prevent me from doing my S Def training?

WhiteWizard42
9th May 2006, 9:36 PM
Do you keep track of your Ev progress? If so, how?

And also, People say that they breed pokemon with flawless sp. Atk. and such, and their offspring have flawless sp. atk. Does that mean that you can have maxed stats on newborn pokemon?

in breeding, the baby inherits 3 of its parents IVs. so if the mother has a 31 IV in attack, and the father has a 31 in defense, the baby has a significantly higher chance of having flawless attack and/or defense IVs. the baby may have max IVs, but all newly caught/hatched pokemon start with 0 EVs in everything, so it can't be absolutely maxed.

and as for keeping track of EVs gained, i use the PP of the moves i'm using to KO the wild pokemon. for example, my heracross is holding an EXP share and my gardevoir is KOing shuppet with psychic and thunderbolt. heracross gains 1 EV per PP used, so 10 trips of 25 KOs (psychic's 10 and thunderbolt's 15) each leaves it with 2 EVs left to gain, so i hand it a macho brace and make it get a kill of its own.

I messed up somehow. I'm training my Venusaur for the EV spread 252 HP/252SDef/6 Speed. I gave my lvl 5 Bulbasuar 10 HP Ups and 10 Zincs and took it out into the big bad world, using the Exp. Share and Macho Brace to defeat the equivalent of 152 Whismur, 152 Tentacool and 6 Zubat. It was at lvl 30 when I completed this process, which is about average for me to complete EV training. But, when I went to the lady next to the Energy Guru in Slateport, she said that I haven't gotten all of my EVs yet. So, I figured I'd miscounted once or twice, went back and defeated 5 more Tentacool and 5 more Whismur. Went back and the lady told me the same thing!!! I've gone back and defeated a bunch more Tentacool and Whismur. I don't really want to go back and try more Zubat because I don't want that speed to take away any of the EVs that I want to go toward HP and SDef. I'm at a complete loss of how a 31 year old man with a college degree in information technology can be unable to count!!!!

I guess my question is: if I go back and keep battling Tentacool and Whismur, with the EVs earned after 255 just not count, or will they not be applied to the stat, but take away from the possibility of earning more EVs in another stat?

For example, if my Venusaur defeats 510 Whismur, it will only get 255 EVs. Will those extra 255 EVs that it got not count toward anything, or will they prevent me from doing my S Def training?
any extra you may earn in a stat is simply not counted. you can defeat 1000 whismur, then 1000 tentacool, and still get 255 each in HP and SDef.

keep in mind, however, that the 4 you got in speed will keep you from hitting maximum on whichever one you train second, as you'll only get 251 EVs in that stat.

v_legendary25
12th May 2006, 8:26 PM
I heard somewhere that Lucky Egg also doubles the Ev's, is this true?

water types rule
12th May 2006, 9:16 PM
Yes, this is true.

WhiteWizard42
12th May 2006, 9:58 PM
lucky egg does nothing to EVs. it simply multiplies EXP gained by the pokemon holding it by 1.5

v_legendary25
12th May 2006, 10:23 PM
2 different answers there :S

MegaJunior
12th May 2006, 10:25 PM
But WhiteWizard is definitly right.

CharizardMaster
13th May 2006, 6:25 AM
When is a good level to start EV training?

WhiteWizard42
13th May 2006, 1:28 PM
When is a good level to start EV training?
as soon as possible. if you raise it levels when not EV training, it can get EVs in undesirable stats. you could, if you want, rare candy it up to a level where it can KO the wild pokemon needed for the EVs, but it's really a waste of rare candies.

just give it an exp share, and have a stronger member of your team defeat spinda or zubat or whatever gives the EVs you want.

ShinyFufu
13th May 2006, 3:45 PM
Say I have a charmander that I want to EV train. I make it hold the Exp. Share, and my stronger pokemon holds the Macho Brace. Now, I defeat a Spinda. Will the Charmander get 2 EVs in SAtk, or just 1?

Juputoru
13th May 2006, 3:50 PM
The Macho Brace's EV doubling only applies to the Pokemon that's holding it.

ShinyFufu
13th May 2006, 5:06 PM
Okay, thanks.

v_legendary25
13th May 2006, 6:34 PM
Can someone confirm that placing a pokemon in the daycare centre does not affect its Ev's and only raise in terms of level. Using the daycare is identical to using rare candies?

WhiteWizard42
13th May 2006, 6:41 PM
Can someone confirm that placing a pokemon in the daycare centre does not affect its Ev's and only raise in terms of level. Using the daycare is identical to using rare candies?
yes. the only problem with the daycare, in my experience, is that it overwrites moves while it's in there (for example, if you leave a level 5 ralts in there that knows psychic, thunderbolt, hypnosis and calm mind from breeding, and it grows 11 levels, it'll have lost psychic, thunderbolt, and hypnosis for confusion, double team, and teleport.)

xPokerusx
14th May 2006, 2:55 AM
Can someone help me please.How many evs does lombre give.The main site says 1 but i thought it would be 2 seeing as it is a evo.I just wanted to double check.

FireHead Hank
14th May 2006, 2:58 AM
Yes it gives two, every other site sais that, so dont worry. (serebii made a mistake)

xPokerusx
14th May 2006, 3:02 AM
Aww man.That means i counted my evs wrong and i dont know how many lombres i fought.
Thanks for the answer FireHead Hank.

k3wlcole
14th May 2006, 3:30 PM
Today the Energy Guru was selling vitamins for half off so I decided to feed my lv. 5 Jirachi 10 of each. He only gained 1 stat in every caterogory except HP because only 1 HP UP had an effect and it didn't do anything.

Why was he only able to accept one HP UP and only 1 stat in every category?
If I keep it like this (I reset) will he have more better stat gains in the future (I gained levels with it and only got average stat gains like 2,3,4)?

I read the guide but it didn't answer this clear enough:(

FireHead Hank
14th May 2006, 3:44 PM
Today the Energy Guru was selling vitamins for half off so I decided to feed my lv. 5 Jirachi 10 of each. He only gained 1 stat in every caterogory except HP because only 1 HP UP had an effect and it didn't do anything.

Why was he only able to accept one HP UP and only 1 stat in every category?
If I keep it like this (I reset) will he have more better stat gains in the future (I gained levels with it and only got average stat gains like 2,3,4)?

I read the guide but it didn't answer this clear enough:(

You can give a pokemon only ten of a vitamin, so it gets 100 Ev's(for the stat the fed vitamin is). You wont recognize the stat change in the early levels, but it will have a higher stat in attack(fo expample) at lv. 50, if you gave him proteins, than the same pokemon that you havent fed the proteins, at the same level. Hope this helps.
But I really suggest that you should read the sticky if want to EV train your Pokemon.

k3wlcole
14th May 2006, 4:23 PM
Thanks but I still don't understand why it only takes 1 HP UP if it can have 10 and its HP is only at 25...

Also, what do you think is the best nature of a Jirachi to train: Hasty or Calm?

FireHead Hank
14th May 2006, 4:42 PM
Thanks but I still don't understand why it only takes 1 HP UP if it can have 10 and its HP is only at 25...

Also, what do you think is the best nature of a Jirachi to train: Hasty or Calm?

The max of Ev's it can have is 510. It probably has a total of 510 Ev's, so you cant give it more. READ THE GAME MECHANICS PAGE OR THE FIRST PAGE OF THIS STICKY, because your questions are basic things.

I dont know, I dont use legendaries, so I havent got experience with Jirachi.

k3wlcole
14th May 2006, 4:56 PM
Thanks again, I should of read the guide over. 510 means I'll exclude Jirachi from protien because he doesn't need attack.

WhiteWizard42
14th May 2006, 5:15 PM
Thanks again, I should of read the guide over. 510 means I'll exclude Jirachi from protien because he doesn't need attack.
by that same logic, you should use calm over hasty.

also, if it doesn't need attack, why give it the 10 EVs in Attack, anyway?

Sunkern
14th May 2006, 7:06 PM
Ok, Electabuzz has 234 for defense, max stats with beneficial nature. So by EV training its defense, what's the highest it could conceivably go? Can I add 255 to that stat, or 64?

WhiteWizard42
14th May 2006, 7:34 PM
Ok, Electabuzz has 234 for defense, max stats with beneficial nature. So by EV training its defense, what's the highest it could conceivably go? Can I add 255 to that stat, or 64?
the "max stats" posted on the main site are assuming 31 IVs and 255 EVs, and whatever nature it says. the highest defense you will ever see on an electabuzz, EV trained and with the right nature and IVs, will be 234.

also, EV training only adds 63 to a stat, assuming a neutral nature. either 69 or 70 with a +stat nature, depending on what it would've been without EVs.

ShinyFufu
14th May 2006, 8:07 PM
i think it gives two to Special Defense.

Expert Evan
15th May 2006, 4:42 PM
Here are some incredible odds to consider without the aid of emerald:

chances of getting desired nature:
1 : 25

chances of getting 1 flawless stat:
1 : 32^1 (32)

chances of getting an adamant ditto with flawless attack:
1 : 32^1 * 25 (800)

chances of getting 2 flawless stats:
1 : 32^2 (1024)

chances of getting 3 flawless stats:
1 : 32^3 (32768)

chances of getting 4 flawless stat:
1 : 32^4 (1048576)

chances of getting an adamant salamence with flawless hp/attack/speed/defense:
1 : 32^4 * 25 (26214400)

chances of getting 5 flawless stats:
1 : 32^5 (33554432)

chances of getting 6 flawless stats:
1 : 32^6 (1073741824)

chances of getting desired nature with 6 flawless stats:
1 : 32^6 * 25 (26843545600)

chances of getting a modest starmie with 6 flawless stats & natural cure ability
1 : 32^6 * 25 * 2 (53687091200)

compare all the above with the 1 : 8192 to get a shiny pokemon.

v_legendary25
15th May 2006, 5:16 PM
Currently playing Emerald and want to EV train in Speed so naturally go to the cave of Zubats.

They're levels are too low though so where else could I possibly go?

Expert Evan
15th May 2006, 5:19 PM
Currently playing Emerald and want to EV train in Speed so naturally go to the cave of Zubats.

They're levels are too low though so where else could I possibly go?
Try the artisan cave with smeargles.

xPokerusx
15th May 2006, 11:24 PM
Yesterday i finished ev training my lugia i wanted to know if it was a good idea to train it in hp and sp.defense?My lugia has a calm nature maybe that will help yall out with the descision.

WhiteWizard42
15th May 2006, 11:35 PM
well, it's going to be a really good special sponge, but i'd probably have trained it in defense instead, because in a tank you try to give EVs to the lower stat. (for example, give bliss defense EVs so it doesn't roll over and die to a rock slide)

xPokerusx
15th May 2006, 11:55 PM
Ok thanks.The people i battle dont know the meaning of physical hits its always a flamethrower or whatever.I can understand why i would train it in defense.

Xain
17th May 2006, 4:50 PM
does rapid level gain adversely affect EV growth? (as in the rate in which the bonus stat points from EV training is applied as you level up.)

WhiteWizard42
17th May 2006, 9:59 PM
does rapid level gain adversely affect EV growth? (as in the rate in which the bonus stat points from EV training is applied as you level up.)
not sure quite what you're asking. but a level 50 poke with 252 sp.atk. EVs will have the same stats no matter how quickly it leveled up.

Champion Jared 14
20th May 2006, 5:42 AM
I wish ev training could take less longer for me. I have pokerus and the macho brace, but ev training hatched pokemon at lv.5 is hard. I would want them to be able to beat the pokes for their ev points, but they are too weak. For example, I'm about to ev train an aerodactly. It's lv.5. Should I level it up a bit before I start it's training?

Pokemon trainer Jeremy
20th May 2006, 6:12 AM
what I do when I am done training there EV's depending on the moveset I send them over to collesseum to level em up faster with EXP share in the under...

Champion Jared 14
20th May 2006, 6:40 AM
what I do when I am done training there EV's depending on the moveset I send them over to collesseum to level em up faster with EXP share in the under...
What about before yor pokes get those ev's?

Raden Surya
20th May 2006, 8:49 AM
I wish ev training could take less longer for me. I have pokerus and the macho brace, but ev training hatched pokemon at lv.5 is hard. I would want them to be able to beat the pokes for their ev points, but they are too weak. For example, I'm about to ev train an aerodactly. It's lv.5. Should I level it up a bit before I start it's training?
EXP.Share also gives EV, isn't? So maybe you can give it EXP Share and make your stronger Pokemon battle Pokemons which has the EV you want. Then after its level get higher, you can replace the EXP.Share with Macho Brace and start EV train it by itself.

WhiteWizard42
20th May 2006, 12:13 PM
well, you could if you want. leveling things up before EV training can be tricky, because you have to make sure you don't mess up your EVs. the easiest way would probably be rare candies, but those are semi-valuable.

if i felt like doing that, what i'd do is just stick it in the daycare and run back and forth. if it has at least one move you don't care about, you can put that move in the first slot and it'll be the one overwritten for its first level-up move. once it gets to a level where it learns a move, just pull it out and put the move you just learned/ the move you need least at the top, and repeat the process.

Akayfortyseven
20th May 2006, 12:24 PM
I always give the level 5 exp share, and use a high level pokemon to fight on its behalf. exp share also gives the evs of the battle as well as the experience.

Champion Jared 14
21st May 2006, 3:29 AM
Yes, but when you use exp.share, the other pokemon would only get one point, and if pokerus and macho brace are involved on one of the pokes, then it will only get half of the four points, leaving it at two.

WhiteWizard42
21st May 2006, 3:49 AM
Yes, but when you use exp.share, the other pokemon would only get one point, and if pokerus and macho brace are involved on one of the pokes, then it will only get half of the four points, leaving it at two.
EXP share does not divide EVs, it simply gives the same amount that would be gained by one pokemon to more than one.

you have a tyranitar and a koffing. koffing is holding an EXP share, tyranitar has a macho brace, both have pokerus. if tyranitar defeats a gardevoir (3 SAtk EVs), then T-Tar gets 12 EVs (3x2x2) and koffing gets 6 (3x2).

Milotic_Fan
22nd May 2006, 6:23 PM
I've been playing Pokemon for a lot years now, and I think I'm finally ready for EV training. I've read the EV guide on serebii.net, and it's all clear to me, except for a few questions:

To explain what I mean, I have to say I'm going to EV train my newly hatched Staryu lv. 5 Modest nature. I want to train it to lv. 50 and let it evolve then, to use it for the Battle Frontier. The EV's I want to give him are Speed and Special Attack, and the remaining EV's to Special Defense. Attacks have to become Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Surf and Recover.

Now the questions:

1. When my Staryu is at lv. 5, and I train it against 4 Zubat (for Speed) and 3 Spinda (for Special Attack), and the next Spinda (so that makes for again) makes it level up to lv. 6, does both Speed and Special Attack increase by 1, or only the one who got the 4 EV's first (Speed in this case)??

2. When I train Staryu against 4 Zubat it will increase the stat up for Speed by 1 the next time it levels up. When I train it against 8 Zubat, will it increase by 2 the next time it levels up? Or does is sort of 'stores up' the EV's that does remain after a level up, and the next level up it will increase by another won, even if I didn't defeated a Zubat?

(The next question is only applying if question 2 is answered by that both stats are increasing when you level up.)

3. Am I right that I only have to give it 180 EV's (4*45) at Speed and Special Attack? The reason I think that is because I train it only to lv. 50. If I train it against 252 Zubat, I will have to train it for at least (252/4) 63 levels to lv. 68. And since I'm not going to train it that far, isn't it a waste of EV's, which I can better spend at the remaining for Special Defense??

Hope you guys can help me with this!

(I'm not a native English speaker, so I'm sorry if there are any mistakes within my questions.)

WhiteWizard42
22nd May 2006, 6:43 PM
it stores the EVs you gain in memory, and gives them to you as you grow. say you gain 252 EVs in speed by the time you get to level 50. since you're halfway to level 100, you'll get half of the stat points from EVs that you would at level 100. the more you train it in special attack and speed (up to 252 EVs), the more of that stat it will have at any given level.

say you have a modest starmie at level 50. having 252 EVs gives you about 10 more SpAtk points than 180 SpAtk would.

ShinyFufu
22nd May 2006, 11:28 PM
WhiteWizard, do u know if there is an IV Calculator somewhere that can give u the IVs of a pokemon without them being at lvl 100?

WhiteWizard42
22nd May 2006, 11:42 PM
WhiteWizard, do u know if there is an IV Calculator somewhere that can give u the IVs of a pokemon without them being at lvl 100?
i use the one in metalkid's pokemon program. version 4.00Alpha

you can download it at www.metalkid.org/ , then the IV calculator is under "calculate", then click "IVs". save your game beforehand, unless you don't need your rare candies and don't mind losing them. plug in the stats and EVs (if any), then go to the lowest level it lists as "next helpful level" using rare candies. keep doing this, and by a level in about the twenties or (rarely) the low thirties, it will have figured out the IVs exactly. if it says a number under "EVs for exact IV", you can give the pokemon that many EVs in that stat. the next time you plug in its stats, at the next level, it will give you the exact IV immediately.

once you figure all the IVs out, it tells you the pokemon's HP type and power.

Milotic_Fan
22nd May 2006, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the answer WhiteWizard!

But can anybody still answer my first question??

1. When my Staryu is at lv. 5 (see my previous post), and I train it against 4 Zubat (for Speed) and 3 Spinda (for Special Attack), and the next Spinda (so that makes for again) makes it level up to lv. 6, does both Speed and Special Attack increase by 1, or only the one who got the 4 EV's first (Speed in this case)??

I'm sure somebody can help me out!

ShinyFufu
23rd May 2006, 12:00 AM

1. When my Staryu is at lv. 5 (see my previous post), and I train it against 4 Zubat (for Speed) and 3 Spinda (for Special Attack), and the next Spinda (so that makes for again) makes it level up to lv. 6, does both Speed and Special Attack increase by 1, or only the one who got the 4 EV's first (Speed in this case)??

Both speed and special attack raise by 1.

Okay, so let's say I just caught that lvl 40 from Colos. I put in its stats, put in 0 EVs for each stat, but what do I put for the nex lowest level? I guess I am sorta confused, since I don't have a visual example of it...

WhiteWizard42
23rd May 2006, 12:04 AM
Both speed and special attack raise by 1.

Will I need my parent's permission to download it?

Okay, so let's say I just caught that lvl 40 from Colos. I put in its stats, put in 0 EVs for each stat, but what do I put for the nex lowest level? I guess I am sorta confused, since I don't have a visual example of it...
all you do is put in the correct pokemon, nature, level, EVs, and stats, and click "calculate". to put in another level, click the "add new row" button and put in the information for the next level, and calculate again. keep doing this until it's all figured out. shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 levels (possibly less), if you're already starting at 40.

ijea4444
23rd May 2006, 2:02 AM
i use the one in metalkid's pokemon program. version 4.00Alpha

you can download it at www.metalkid.org/ , then the IV calculator is under "calculate", then click "IVs". save your game beforehand, unless you don't need your rare candies and don't mind losing them. plug in the stats and EVs (if any), then go to the lowest level it lists as "next helpful level" using rare candies. keep doing this, and by a level in about the twenties or (rarely) the low thirties, it will have figured out the IVs exactly. if it says a number under "EVs for exact IV", you can give the pokemon that many EVs in that stat. the next time you plug in its stats, at the next level, it will give you the exact IV immediately.

once you figure all the IVs out, it tells you the pokemon's HP type and power.

i cant download it. i saved it into my network places cuz i got 2 pc's.i open it up and a window comes out i don't know what to click.

WhiteWizard42
23rd May 2006, 2:08 AM
i cant download it. i saved it into my network places cuz i got 2 pc's.i open it up and a window comes out i don't know what to click.
what does the window say? what options does it give you?

Slim
23rd May 2006, 7:01 AM

The equation for stat calculation is:
((IV+(EP/4)+(2*BV))*(Level/100)+5)*NV

IV = Individual Value
EP = Effort Points
BV = Base Value
NV = Nature value (1, 1.1, or .9)

so, in your case EP/4 = 1 for both speed and special attack, so it will begin to give its influence. However because it is multiplied by Level/100, at level 6, it will only will make 6/100 point difference, so you probably won't see the difference, yet. This is why the effects of IV and EVs are seen better on higher level Pokemon.

ShinyFufu
23rd May 2006, 1:08 PM

So what if I catch a lvl 10 Tailow, and it says the next helpful lvl is 15, do I just use 15 Rare Candies, put in the stats and EVs(which should be zero), and it will tell me my exact IVs?

ijea4444
23rd May 2006, 2:07 PM

there is folder that says pics and has poke sprites,a program that says MKPP 4.o, then there is like 17 papers with green and yellow gears, then mydata (no space on purpose), and pokemon

WhiteWizard42
23rd May 2006, 6:33 PM
So what if I catch a lvl 10 Tailow, and it says the next helpful lvl is 15, do I just use 15 Rare Candies, put in the stats and EVs(which should be zero), and it will tell me my exact IVs?
if the next helpful level is 15, you give it 5 rare candies. just level it enough to get to the "next helpful level"

there is folder that says pics and has poke sprites,a program that says MKPP 4.o, then there is like 17 papers with green and yellow gears, then mydata (no space on purpose), and pokemon
double-click on "MKPP v4.0", the little alakazam icon.

Milotic_Fan
24th May 2006, 12:50 AM
One last question before I really start EV training my Staryu:

After all, what's a better way for EV training (I want 252 Speed/Special Attack), first 252 Zubat and then 252 Spinda? Or 4 Zubat, 4 Spinda, 4 Zubat, 4 Spinda etc.. (which will take a lot more time)?? And, does both have the same result when you maxed out EV's??

Thanks again!

ShinyFufu
24th May 2006, 12:52 AM

After all, what's a better way for EV training (I want 252 Speed/Special Attack), first 252 Zubat and then 252 Spinda? Or 4 Zubat, 4 Spinda, 4 Zubat, 4 Spinda etc.. (which will take a lot more time)?? And, does both have the same result when you maxed out EV's??

Thanks again!

Well, u could make secret bases if u have multiple copies of Ruby and Sapphire. Or, just make your Staryu hold Macho Brace. If u have Pokerus, spread it to Staryu too.

ShinyFufu
24th May 2006, 12:52 AM

Thanks again!

Well, u could make secret bases if u have multiple copies of Ruby and Sapphire. Or, just make your Staryu hold Macho Brace. If u have Pokerus, spread it to Staryu too.

Milotic_Fan
24th May 2006, 1:01 AM

No, I haven't mutiple copies of R/S/E..

But that wasn't my question. I meant which of the two would be te best to gain the best EV boosts? How do you get the best result in EV training?

PS. I know about the Macho Brache, so leave it out, it is only an example.

WhiteWizard42
24th May 2006, 4:12 AM
same result. it maxes out at 255 anyway. fighting 252 spinda then 252 zubat is the way to go, definitely.

feebas_factor
24th May 2006, 6:16 AM
Well, this is sort of related...

This is something that's been bugging me for a long time. I just leveled up my snorunt to level 40, and taking into account his nature, all his stats are around 60 - except his hp, which he now has 100 of. Yet his base stats say his hp base stat is the same as all the others. What gives? I haven't been extensively EV training him in HP or anything. I've noticed that in general, a pokemon's hit points are higher relatively to it's other stats than its base hp compared to its other base stats.

So what's the deal with hp points? How do they work?

Slim
24th May 2006, 7:17 AM
All the other stats use the formula:
( (IV+(2*Base)+(EP/4)) * (Level/100) + 5 )*Nature

But Hit Points uses the formula:
((IV + 2*Base + (EP/4)) * Level/100) + Level + 10

(except Shedinja, which always has 1 HP. Also, I made one mistake in my previous post's formula, I'll go and edit it.)

Ignoring genes, training, and nature, a Level 50 Pokemon will have its base value+5 for its stats, except HP, which will be its base value +60. This is why generally Pokemon have a decent ammount of HP.

feebas_factor
25th May 2006, 7:11 AM
thank you

alot

very, very, much

yay! I finally understand!

ShinyFufu
28th May 2006, 12:11 AM
All the other stats use the formula:
( (IV+(2*Base)+(EP/4)) * (Level/100) + 5 )*Nature

But Hit Points uses the formula:
((IV + 2*Base + (EP/4)) * Level/100) + Level + 10

(except Shedinja, which always has 1 HP. Also, I made one mistake in my previous post's formula, I'll go and edit it.)

Ignoring genes, training, and nature, a Level 50 Pokemon will have its base value+5 for its stats, except HP, which will be its base value +60. This is why generally Pokemon have a decent ammount of HP.

What do u mean by "ignoring genes, training, and nature"? I heard that a max IV, pokemon with a neutral nature at lvl 50 will have its stats 5 higher than its base stats, and that its HP will be 10 higher. I can't remember where, but I think it was on the Bulbapedia Pokemon Dictionary.

WhiteWizard42
28th May 2006, 3:52 AM
at level 50, a 0-IV poke will have HP = level + base + 10 and other stats = base + 5.

at level 50, a flawless-IV poke will have each stat 15 higher than the 0-IV one, so it'll be HP = level + base + 25 and others = base + 20.

Slim
28th May 2006, 10:58 PM
Yes, that's right. What I mean by Ignoring IVs, EVs, and Nature, that means IV=0, EV=0, and the Nature multiplier is 1. That cancels out those parts of the equation, and you can see just how the base value and level affect the stats.

Golden_Latias
30th May 2006, 4:57 AM
n00by question, but I'm a bit new to the IV thing.

I'm trying to hatch either a Brave or Adament Grimer to use as a Sub-Puncher. I got two Brave Grimers with the following IVs:

Brave Grimer #1:
HP:10
Atk:10
Def:10
Sp. Atk:25
Sp. Def:10
Spd:20

Brave Grimer #2:
HP:25
Atk:10
Def:25
Sp. Atk:10
Sp. Def:10
Spd:20

Do you think I should keep one of these Grimers or try again for another Brave/Adament one?

Zera
1st June 2006, 5:50 AM
alright, i'mma post this here, cause i dunn where else to post it..

What would be a good EV set up for a Calm Jirachi?

WhiteWizard42
1st June 2006, 1:34 PM
that should be posted in in-game RMT.

Zera
1st June 2006, 5:55 PM
I thought it might, but it wasn't afull team, >.> so i was confusseled!

WhiteWizard42
1st June 2006, 7:57 PM
all questions about movesets/EV spreads/"what should this hold?"/"what natures is best for this?" and such go in RMT.

ShinyFufu
5th June 2006, 1:49 AM
In a double battle, since both pokemon are gaining experience points, do they both get the same amount of EVs? Say I was in a double battle, and i had my Charizard and Typlosion against Vileplume and Jumpluff. If I KOed the Vileplume, would both Zard and Typhlo get 3 EVs to SAtk? If so, will the same go for XD and Colossuem, since in both those games all the battles are 2-on-2?

WhiteWizard42
5th June 2006, 2:15 AM
yes. everyone who gets EXP gets EVs. the same EVs, not counting effects like macho brace/pkrs.

and there are two instances in XD of single battles: when you snag the teddiursa, and wild pogeys.

ShinyFufu
5th June 2006, 4:15 PM
Should I click Save when I am downloading the Metalkid IV Calculator, or so I just click Open?

WhiteWizard42
5th June 2006, 5:24 PM
save. once it saves to your computer, try to open it. it will unzip itself, and run.

ShinyFufu
5th June 2006, 5:53 PM
save. once it saves to your computer, try to open it. it will unzip itself, and run.

So now do I click open folder?

WhiteWizard42
5th June 2006, 5:57 PM
yes. then double-click on the alakazam icon.

ShinyFufu
5th June 2006, 6:01 PM
There is no alakazam icon... it says MKPPv.400Alpha with that little Windows Icon, u know the one that has multi-colored squares? Yeah, well I click that, and nothing happens. THen, I minimized some stuff on my computer, and it asked me which place i wanted to use it with and I chose Microsoft Word, and then, it asked me some stuff about decoding messages, I chose Windows Default and clicked OK, and now all these weird symbols are in Word. What did I do wrong?

About what I said about I chose Microsoft Word, it says, 'Open With', and it is giving me all these choices like Internet Explorer, Clip Organizer, and lots of other things.

~Sirnight~
5th June 2006, 6:05 PM
Hey ,i wanted to ask, ya know how on the IV Calculator there is part where you have to enter the Effort Points? Well, how do tyou know what they are to put them in?

WhiteWizard42
5th June 2006, 6:52 PM
MM-SP, i don't know what to tell you. do you have a program like WinZip or something similar, that decompresses files? because i think the file downloads zipped.

S_E, if you don't keep track of EVs as you gain them, there's no way to calculate them. usually, you only try to calculate IVs of a pokemon with no EVs, when they're freshly-caught or something.

ShinyFufu
5th June 2006, 6:55 PM
MM-SP, i don't know what to tell you. do you have a program like WinZip or something similar, that decompresses files? because i think the file downloads zipped.

S_E, if you don't keep track of EVs as you gain them, there's no way to calculate them. usually, you only try to calculate IVs of a pokemon with no EVs, when they're freshly-caught or something.

I am not sure, but the thing for the MKPPv4.00 Alpha has a .zip at the end of it. What does that mean? And I have that screen that says My Documents, and it says MKPPv4.00Alpha ZIP File, Attributes:Normal. Do u know what that means?

TRJessie579
5th June 2006, 6:55 PM
You have to have kept track of them. Once you've gained EVs there's no way to know how many you've gotten unless you've kept track.

Whompithian
6th June 2006, 12:43 AM
I am not sure, but the thing for the MKPPv4.00 Alpha has a .zip at the end of it. What does that mean? And I have that screen that says My Documents, and it says MKPPv4.00Alpha ZIP File, Attributes:Normal. Do u know what that means?
Right-click on MKPPv4.00 Alpha.zip and select Extract All... Choose a folder to place all of the files. A file with the Alakazam icon should now appear in the folder you selected. Double-click that icon and the program will install.

WhiteWizard42
6th June 2006, 1:00 AM
thanks, whomp. i could've figured it out by just doing it over again, but i didn't feel like deleting and re-downloading.

ShinyFufu
6th June 2006, 1:47 AM
Right-click on MKPPv4.00 Alpha.zip and select Extract All... Choose a folder to place all of the files. A file with the Alakazam icon should now appear in the folder you selected. Double-click that icon and the program will install.

Well, I right-clicked on it, but now Extract All option appeared... it gave me Open With(that was in Bold, and it had an arrow coming from it), Scan for Viruses, Send to, Cut, Copy, Create Shortcut, Delete, Rename, and Properties. I chose Properties, and I clicked on something called Advanced, and it gave me two empty boxes where if I clicked in it it became checked. One said "Compress contents to save disk space" and the other said "Encrypt contents to save data". What should I do?

Whompithian
6th June 2006, 6:27 AM
Well, I right-clicked on it, but now Extract All option appeared... it gave me Open With(that was in Bold, and it had an arrow coming from it), Scan for Viruses, Send to, Cut, Copy, Create Shortcut, Delete, Rename, and Properties. I chose Properties, and I clicked on something called Advanced, and it gave me two empty boxes where if I clicked in it it became checked. One said "Compress contents to save disk space" and the other said "Encrypt contents to save data". What should I do?
It sounds like you don't have WinZip. Just as well (it's not a very good application). So, you will need to download an extractor. I recommend 7-zip, since it is capable of extracting several common compression formats in addition to ZIP:

http://www.7-zip.org/

Select the first of the three download options. You will be redirected to the Sourceforge.net download page. Choose a city that is close to you to download from and select Run when given the option. Once you have installed 7-zip, you should be able to extract and install MetalKid's program, as well as other compressed files you download.

ShinyFufu
6th June 2006, 3:16 PM
It sounds like you don't have WinZip. Just as well (it's not a very good application). So, you will need to download an extractor. I recommend 7-zip, since it is capable of extracting several common compression formats in addition to ZIP:

http://www.7-zip.org/

Select the first of the three download options. You will be redirected to the Sourceforge.net download page. Choose a city that is close to you to download from and select Run when given the option. Once you have installed 7-zip, you should be able to extract and install MetalKid's program, as well as other compressed files you download.

You mean the one that says .exe? I chose it, and none of the places are reallly close to me... I live in the state right above Florida, but the closest state to me is Virginia, I'll click it anyways.

Also, I did't see anyting that said run, but next to it I chose download, and then a box came up asking me if I wanted to save it, or if I wanted to open it. I think I will save it, correct?

Whompithian
8th June 2006, 1:20 AM
You mean the one that says .exe? I chose it, and none of the places are reallly close to me... I live in the state right above Florida, but the closest state to me is Virginia, I'll click it anyways.

Also, I did't see anyting that said run, but next to it I chose download, and then a box came up asking me if I wanted to save it, or if I wanted to open it. I think I will save it, correct?
It doesn't really matter where you choose to download from, but you tend to get a faster download if you choose a location close to where you are.

If you selected Save, you can Run the installer by double-clicking on the .exe wherever you saved it. It's fairly straighforward once you begin installation.

Slim
8th June 2006, 5:17 PM
Hey ,i wanted to ask, ya know how on the IV Calculator there is part where you have to enter the Effort Points? Well, how do tyou know what they are to put them in?

Although you can't know the exact Effort Points if you haven't kept track. But there are ways to estimate. If you have Emerald, you can save, then use the effort reducing berries. If you use 1, you have 1-10 EVs, 2, 11-20 EVs, etc. Start the game again without saving, and you know a range of EVs it may have.

$%^Shiney Pokemon !@#
10th June 2006, 9:59 PM
Where specifically is the pokemon rbeeder at the BF?

Whompithian
11th June 2006, 3:23 AM
Where specifically is the pokemon rbeeder at the BF?
He's in the little hut just north of the Pokemon Center, sitting in a chair along the left wall of the room.

Humph...
13th June 2006, 2:34 AM
I'm not really into formulas and all that, but lets say you fed your pokemon a whole bunch of vitamins at a low level. Does your pokemon instantly gain a shole bunch of stats when it levels up or does the stats raise unnoticably?

Also, when you EV train a low level, do your stats increase unnoticably as well? I have a feeling that my Venasaur isn't getting high enough stats. Either it has REALLY low IV's or some EV thing isn't working.

Whompithian
13th June 2006, 3:29 AM
I'm not really into formulas and all that, but lets say you fed your pokemon a whole bunch of vitamins at a low level. Does your pokemon instantly gain a shole bunch of stats when it levels up or does the stats raise unnoticably?

Also, when you EV train a low level, do your stats increase unnoticably as well? I have a feeling that my Venasaur isn't getting high enough stats. Either it has REALLY low IV's or some EV thing isn't working.
The stat gain from Effort Points will always be very slight at lower Levels. Since part of the equation for your final stats is multiplied by (Level / 100), Level 6 Pokemon only have 6% of the increase visible. Even if you managed to get 252 Efforts Points in one stat between Levels 5 and 6, you would only see, at most, 4 more points in that stat's increas than under a normal Level-Up.

Slim
13th June 2006, 3:47 PM
That's right. And also, if you feed with Vitamins (or effort-reducing berries) it recalculates the stats immediately, and doesn't wait until level-up.

Humph...
14th June 2006, 3:57 PM
Didn't look like any stat increase though...

eg. My Eevee had 10 irons. when it leveled up, the overall stat increase was something like 2 or 3.

Also, do stat points raise through EV's while evolving?

WhiteWizard42
14th June 2006, 4:09 PM
10 Iron gives you 100 EVs, which is 25 stat points at level 100. so you'll get one extra stat point every 4 levels you raise it.

if you're wondering why there wasn't a big boost the very next level after you fed the vitamins, you should check its stats before and after using them. vitamins force recalculation of stats. even at level 5, feeding 10 iron will give at least +1 to a stat that isn't lowered by its nature.

i don't understand your second question, though. evolving is completely separate from EVs, the two have nothing to do with each other. when a pokemon evolves, it keeps the EVs it had before, so a blaziken with 252 EV in a stat will have that stat higher than a blaziken with 0 EVs in it.

Expert Evan
15th June 2006, 12:49 AM
Here's something that is leading me to believe something different about breeding for IVs:

Normally if both parents have 3 flawless IVs in 3 of the desired stats, I should expect a 1/20 chance that one of its offsprings will have all 3 desires stats as its parents flawless IVs and that 1/32 chance it may have a 4th stat that is flawless also. Here's how I figure it being a 1/20 chance (50% male makes it 1/40):

1 = hp, 2 = attack, 3 = defense, 4 = sp.atk, 5 = sp.def, 6 = speed

123 234
124 235
125 236
126 245
134 246
135 256
136 345
145 346
146 356
156 456

based on the above, any offspring should have at least a 1/2 chance that HP is flawless if both parents of flawless HP. I was fortunate recently where I was able to pass on aerodactyl's flawless IVs in hp/attack/speed to taillow within 20 hatchings, and to get a nincada with flawless hp/attack/speed & defense within 60 hatchings which started with a masquerain with flawless attack/speed and a female nincada with flawless speed and swaps included a male offspring with flawless attack/speed, a ditto with flawless hp/speed. Now here comes the baffling part: I got it to where the pairings were a male slowking and a female seel both with flawless hp/defense/sp.def, but it has now been over 400 hatchings and I have yet to receive a male seel with flawless hp/defense/sp.def and have had a few that have come oh so close but the breeding expert in Battle Frontier would never mention the 3rd stat as being flawless even after over 30 times. I know for a seel, an HP flawless stat is 23, defense = 13/12/10 depending on nature, and sp.def = 14/13/11 depending on nature. While I expect HP to be flawless half the time, the most I see in batches of eggs are usually 1 and rarely 2, and oftentimes none, so I am wondering if the frequency of an HP stat being inherited is more rare than other stats or am I just being unlucky. This also leads me to wonder if certain pokemon can only yield 1 stat as opposed to up to 2 and perhaps this pairing was probably never meant to be even though there were a few female offsprings that were indeed the desired triple-flawless. The main purpose of breeding for seel was to pass the flawless hp/defense/sp.def to the field egg group so to pass them onto smeargle whom can pass them onto eevee if I was breeding for an umbreon. If this is the case, I might start breeding with meganium & seedot instead since that requires 3840 steps to hatch at least.

Humph...
15th June 2006, 2:21 AM
10 Iron gives you 100 EVs, which is 25 stat points at level 100. so you'll get one extra stat point every 4 levels you raise it.

if you're wondering why there wasn't a big boost the very next level after you fed the vitamins, you should check its stats before and after using them. vitamins force recalculation of stats. even at level 5, feeding 10 iron will give at least +1 to a stat that isn't lowered by its nature.

i don't understand your second question, though. evolving is completely separate from EVs, the two have nothing to do with each other. when a pokemon evolves, it keeps the EVs it had before, so a blaziken with 252 EV in a stat will have that stat higher than a blaziken with 0 EVs in it.
Oh, I meant do the changed base stats in a different evolved pokemon affect the amount of stats raised that are influenced by EV's at each level raise. It seems not though.

Ragnarok
26th June 2006, 8:44 PM
Ok I am currently EV training my metagross adamant nature so it would have the following stats

HP/364 ATK/607 DEF/296 SPD/177 SA/203 SD/216

his current stats are

HP/166 ATK/173 DEF/131 SPD/90 SA/99 SD/77

LV:47

EV's should be:HP/252 ATK/252 DEF/4 by level 100

I need tips on where I should ev train(note I am using a macho brace)

WhiteWizard42
26th June 2006, 11:56 PM
how is your metagross going to have 607 Attack? that's impossible, since the maximum possible attack for meta is just 405.

as for where to EV train for attack and defense:

attack: the route before lilycove (dunno the number) has poochyena/mightyena/shuppet, which all give attack. run from everything else.

defense: the magma base has geodude/graveler/torkoal, which all give defense.

Slim
27th June 2006, 2:40 AM
Also, since you don't have perfect IVs in (at least) speed, sp. def, or defense, it can't reach those stats you listed either. (Whither that matters or not is up to you though. )

Did you label speed as SD and Special Defense as SPD?
You did in at least your max stats. That confused me. :\

Anyway, Special Attack definately already has EVs, so if you want your best spread, give the EV reducing berries to the stats you want 0 EVs in, if you can.

WhiteWizard42
27th June 2006, 4:20 AM
i'm pretty sure he meant SPD to be speed and SD to be spec. def.

Ragnarok
27th June 2006, 10:15 AM
SPD was speed

Slim
28th June 2006, 2:01 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought it would be. I accidently thought I saw your max Speed and Sp. Defense reversed, so that's why I got confused. Looking at it now, though ... I don't see a possible way for Lv 47 Metagross to have as low Sp. Defense as 77. Maybe that was the one that was reversed?

lol, your question was answered and I'm just making it worse. :p

Zora
28th June 2006, 3:23 AM
What are good places to EV train in Defense?

Underwater
That Dewford Cave of some kind

What else?

WhiteWizard42
28th June 2006, 5:28 AM
the best option is, if you have emerald, the magma cave on mt. chimney. you find geodude, graveler, and torkoal. they all give defense.

i said this just 6 posts up.

PkmnBreederLuke
28th June 2006, 11:11 PM
Not sure if this has been said or not but for Special Defence, instead of fighting Tentacool and Tentacruel which can very from god knows what level and have several other pokemon thrown in, I found this to be a very good spot to train at Sp. Def.

South of Fallabor but before the cave, its got Lotad, Lombre and Swablu which give 1, 2, 1 respectively for Sp. Def EV's. Don't remember the level though, only around 16 I assume but I preferred it to surfing.

Just wanted to let anyone know, sorry if it's been posted but there's 11 pages here, and a reminder never hurt, right?

I wish I didn't try and get a Cloyster on my Emerald game now and get a bad egg. Ah well, I'm saving up for a DS Lite as we speak and plan on buying Emerald so I will play through that as quickly as possible so I can get back to breeding pokemon. Much easier when you've beaten the E4 and essentially have unlimited funds - not to mention you can fly to BF to get your IV's checked.

Zora
29th June 2006, 3:29 AM
Want are personility values (like ones that evolve Silicoon) exactly?

TRJessie579
29th June 2006, 3:58 AM
I don't believe anyone knows anything more exact than that. They're just one of the hidden values in the game, like IVs, only this one ONLY has an effect on Wurmple. What we do know is that personality values don't change, because a Wurmple that starts to evolve into a Cascoon once will always evolve into Cascoon, no matter what time you evolve it, the location, etc.

Since there isn't any way to SEE the personality value of your Wurmple, it doesn't matter much anyway.

Starfishy-chan
29th June 2006, 4:27 AM
I've read the section on Vitamiins, but I'm still confused. >>; I just hatched a Slowpoke that seems to have pretty good IVs. I'm trying to EV train it, so I followed your suggestion about giving it all the vitamins before it battled. No change in it's stats, so I leveled it up using a Rare Candy. It just gained the normal amount of points, my vitamins had no effect! D= So now I'm confused and basically just wasted a rare candy and tons of vitamins. x.o;

I believe it gained:
3 HP
1 Atk
1 Def
2 Sp. Atk
1 Sp. Def
1 Spd

WhiteWizard42
29th June 2006, 4:32 AM
the vitamins do cause a change in EVs. but at level 5, even 100 EVs will only cause a change of one stat point.

on average, the 100 EVs from vitamins will give it an extra 1 point per 4 levels. so you won't be getting extra points going from level 5 to 6.

Zora
29th June 2006, 4:35 AM
I don't believe anyone knows anything more exact than that. They're just one of the hidden values in the game, like IVs, only this one ONLY has an effect on Wurmple. What we do know is that personality values don't change, because a Wurmple that starts to evolve into a Cascoon once will always evolve into Cascoon, no matter what time you evolve it, the location, etc.

Since there isn't any way to SEE the personality value of your Wurmple, it doesn't matter much anyway.

Is it known its limit:

IE:

IV: 1-31
EV: 0-510
GV: 0-255 (I think)

What is it? 1-8? (Guessed that because if below 4, it is Silicoon, so I just multiplied 4 by 2).

Starfishy-chan
29th June 2006, 5:21 AM
So as I gain levels, will my vitamins start kicking in, so to speak? @w@; If he gets 100 EVs at Lv.5, and I level him up to Lv.50, those EVs will have been accounted for, right?

And yet another question: If I give my Slowpoke an Exp. Share and then make a stronger Pokemon fight, will the Slowpoke still gain the EVs, even if it wasn't the one who killed the pokemon?

S'all so confusing. No wonder I haven't started EV training before now. xD;

WhiteWizard42
29th June 2006, 5:39 AM
gender value is 0-255, yes. if a PV = 4 is the dividing line, then PV is probably 1-8 or 0-7.

yes. at level 50, the 100 EVs given by vitamins will give it an extra 12-13 stat points (more with a +stat nature)

all pokemon that gain EXP gain EVs, even if they didn't fight, unless their EVs are maxed out. and unlike EXP, EVs aren't divided. so if your lead pokemon defeats a spinda, both it and any pokemon with an EXP share will get 1 EV in SAtk.

Starfishy-chan
29th June 2006, 5:45 AM
Ah, thank you so much for all the help! x3 Now, off to EV train...*scuttles off*

Flame Haze SnS
29th June 2006, 7:40 AM
I have a question.

When you battle using Regice with Quiet nature against Spinda. Regice is at lvl.40 with 104 Sp. Attk attached with Macho Brace. I battle a couple of Spindas and the base Sp. Attk didn't gain anything until I put Regice in PC and took it out and it raised from base of Sp. Attk from 104 to 105. Does EVs training have to do with PC?

TRJessie579
29th June 2006, 8:37 AM
You won't see any stat gain from EVs until you either gain a level or put it in the PC. For some reason, putting a Pokemon in the PC recalculates its stats to add in the EVs it's gained. However, you won't see any AUTOMATIC stat gain (ie, checking your Pokemon's stats right after beating a Spinda).

Flame Haze SnS
29th June 2006, 8:39 AM
So PC does help you keep the track of EVs gained from training?

WhiteWizard42
29th June 2006, 9:28 AM
not that it helps you keep track. it's just that the EVs aren't added to the stat until the pokemon: a) levels up b) is given a vitamin in that stat c) is put in the PC.

Flame Haze SnS
29th June 2006, 12:36 PM
So, either pokemon that is leveled up or is putted in the PC is good?

Slim
29th June 2006, 5:55 PM
Personality value is a number 0 - 4,294,967,295
The main site really means you divide by 10, and take the remainder.
if 0-4, it will be cascoon, 5-9, silcoon.

It is used for a several other things, but knowing what the number is won't give you extra information. It's just an interesting number you can't figure out.

Pikamiki
29th June 2006, 6:28 PM
i have a qstn, i'm training a torchic which has pokerus and holds a machobrace. i've been training for a while but it just doesn't want to get all its evs!
shouldn't it be getting 4evs each time it battles a spinda?
and if it battles a golem, how much defence evs does it gain?

WhiteWizard42
29th June 2006, 9:07 PM
yes, it gets 4 SAtk EVs for each spinda it KOs.

for beating a golem, it should get 12 defense EVs.

Flame Haze SnS
30th June 2006, 6:43 AM
You know what's funny? I had Regice with PokeRus and has Macho Brace attached to it and knocks one one or two Spindas and it still gets 1 EVs in Sp. Attk. That's more of rip-off.

TRJessie579
30th June 2006, 6:53 AM
How do you know it's getting "one EV"? You can't see EVs...if it's beating the Spinda, and has both Macho Brace and Pokerus, it WILL be gaining 4 EVs per Spinda. As the FAQ explains, you can't see EV-growth, but you CAN use the equation given to make sure you're on track.

However, since 4 EVs = 1 stat point and even then, the stat points are added gradually as your Pokemon gains levels, it's will usually look like you're not gaining any more stats, but you ARE gaining EVs.

You will see more of an overall difference once the Pokemon you're EV-training is FULLY EV-trained, and at a higher level. Remember that you get +63 points to a stat when you max out the EVs in that stat, which looks like a lot, but when it's added gradually from LV 2 to LV 100, you may only see an extra +1 more than you would have in that stat per level.

Does this make sense?

Flame Haze SnS
30th June 2006, 7:36 AM
If I were to battle Spinda with a Pokemon (Macho Brace and PokeRus), it will get 4 EVs, thus gaining one stat. The max EVs for each is 255, right? But with Macho Brace and PokeRus, it becomes 64. Does this mean that I gain 16 or 56 for each stats?

Just wanted to understand the example. :P

Let's see...I already got 28 extra stats, that means I got 112 EVs total?

Whompithian
30th June 2006, 10:10 AM
If I were to battle Spinda with a Pokemon (Macho Brace and PokeRus), it will get 4 EVs, thus gaining one stat. The max EVs for each is 255, right? But with Macho Brace and PokeRus, it becomes 64. Does this mean that I gain 16 or 56 for each stats?

Just wanted to understand the example. :P

Let's see...I already got 28 extra stats, that means I got 112 EVs total?
Your Pokemon with Macho Brace and Pokerus would gain one extra point in that stat after beating the Spinda if it is at Level 99 and you Level it up, or if it had already beaten a couple of Spindas and had some decimal overflow from the previous Effort Points it earned. If it is at a lower Level, you won't notice the point because the gain will only be the current Level divided by 100, rounded down (which is always 0, unless your Pokemon is at Level 100). The final values of stats are always rounded down to a whole number.

255 is the actual maximum an EV can be, but since the stat boost EVs provide is EV divided by 4, rounded down, you get a maximum stat boost of 63 whether you have an EV of 255 or 252. So, with Macho Brace and Pokerus, you can defeat 63 Spindas to max out one stat (63 x 4 = 252).

If those 28 extra stat points are in addition to what you would normally have during a Level-up, then yes, you have an EV of 112 in that stat. But, you should make a point of keeping a log of the Effort Points you earn for your Pokemon. The game doens't provide any way to see your EVs, and when your Pokemon reaches Level 100, EVs can only be changed with Energy Items (if you are playing Emerald, you can use Berries to lower a Pokemon's EVs, but at Level 100, Energy Items are the only way to add to a Pokemon's EVs).

Pikamiki
30th June 2006, 12:21 PM
if the pokemon has pokerus and holds and exp share how much does it get by the first pokemon in the party beating a spinda. i'm fed up of training up this new team i'm making! all my ev calculations seem to go awry!

btw 10x for your previous answers!

WhiteWizard42
30th June 2006, 2:09 PM
2 EVs.

ban10charlimit

Flame Haze SnS
3rd July 2006, 3:03 AM
Fainting one pokemon gives one EV (or in case, 2 or 3 EVs) without Pokerus and Macho Brace?

Fainting a pokemon gives 2 EVs (or 4, 8?) when attached by Macho Brace or infected by Pokerus?

Fainting a pokemon gives 4 EVs (4?, 16?) when attached by Macho Brace and Pokerus?

Just wanted to stay on the same page. I'm not that smart. :P

TRJessie579
3rd July 2006, 3:55 AM
Those statements are all correct. XD

Flame Haze SnS
3rd July 2006, 4:19 AM
Whoa, I'm right? Well, then I'll EVs Regice for Sp.Def and Mewtwo for Sp.Attk. ^_^; Funny how that it seems to be easier than I thought. ^_^;

WhiteWizard42
3rd July 2006, 4:27 AM
Fainting one pokemon gives one EV (or in case, 2 or 3 EVs) without Pokerus and Macho Brace?

Fainting a pokemon gives 2 EVs (or 4, 8?) when attached by Macho Brace or infected by Pokerus?

Fainting a pokemon gives 4 EVs (4?, 16?) when attached by Macho Brace and Pokerus?

Just wanted to stay on the same page. I'm not that smart. :P
you messed up when dealing with pokemon that give 3 EVs. they give 3, then 6, then 12, not 3/8/16.

Flame Haze SnS
3rd July 2006, 6:59 AM
Oh! Right, sorry. ^_^;

gregjammer
3rd July 2006, 8:25 PM
I have a question.

If my Kadabra has 250-252 EVs in Sp.Atk., and I beat a Magneton w/ Pokerus + Macho Brace, does my Kadabra gain 3-5 EVs instead of the usual 8 EVs in Sp.Atk. to get the maximum EVs it can possibly get plus 3 wasted EVs that don't count towards stats and thus could've gone to another stat, or no?

WhiteWizard42
3rd July 2006, 10:34 PM
yes. it will go to 255 in that stat, thus wasting 3 EVs.

noobers
4th July 2006, 1:06 AM
Do you get EVs through switching out?

~Aquatic;381;

WhiteWizard42
4th July 2006, 1:23 AM
what are you asking? any pokemon that gains experience from a battle gains EVs.

Pokemon trainer Jeremy
4th July 2006, 2:53 AM
Hi i have a quick question...

If I have a Treeco who has pokerus, and macho brace, and i want him to have 252 special attack, and i already gave him 100 with calciums, so theres 152 left, does the macho brace half that to 76 then the pokerus half that to 38...is that how it works? please reply ASAP!!!

♪Crystal Mew♪
4th July 2006, 5:14 AM
the thing about rare candies in the first post should be fixed...

it does not lose any EVs if you don't gain any in the level that you are using the rare candy...

for example...

poke at lv 19 with no EVs... give it 8 EVs and use a rare candy (THIS WILL MAKE IT LOSE 8 EVs)

but if you raise it 252 EVs and then raise a level normally you can use rare candies all you want...

I have a blissey that I maxed out its EVs at level 30 something
I then grew it to level 63 naturally
I had 27 stocked rare candies that I got from pickup ahd I used them

It still ended up with 714 HP at level 100

WhiteWizard42
4th July 2006, 5:26 AM
Jeremy: yes, that's how it works.

(note)CM(note): using rare candies never makes you lose EVs.

♪Crystal Mew♪
4th July 2006, 5:27 AM
On the first page of this thread it clearly says that using Rare Candies will cause you to lose the effects of your earned effort values (ie not get the stat boost)

TRJessie579
4th July 2006, 5:54 AM
...Where do you see that? O_o

Unless you use an EV-reducing Berry, EVs do not disappear. They stay if you raise a level, no matter HOW you raise the level, they stay if they're traded, they stay if they evolved. You do not have to gain all 255 EVs without gaining a level.

EDIT: Are you maybe misunderstanding this line?

Rare Candies: These items have NO ill effects on your Pokemon, they merely raise your Pokemon’s level without giving them any EVs.

Emphasis mine--this just means that if you use a Rare Candy to level up, just like if you level up in the Daycare, your Pokemon won't gain any MORE EVs than it already has. It doesn't mean that any EVs you've already gotten disappear.

SlwaBluPhnx
4th July 2006, 4:42 PM
Hey, I got a real urgent question.

I am ev training a shuckle and that cant be done by battling only with exp share. So I put the exp share on shuckle who has pokerus and battle with rayquaza with macho brace who has already maxed out the evs. How much ev does shuckle aern if ray kills a poke that gives 1 ev?

♪Crystal Mew♪
4th July 2006, 7:03 PM
I believe it would gain 2 evs...

it doesn't matter how many EVs the rayquaza gets... and when using Exp Share I think the two pokemon both receive the same base EVs (1) and then the pokerus gives shuckle 2

EDIT:

my little rant from earlier was more pointed to this statement:

VERY IMPORTANT—Stat gain from EVs is NOT added up all at once, but gradually as your Pokemon gains levels. At LV 100, your Pokemon will have all the stat gain from EVs it is supposed to, but you may not see large stat gains all at once. For example, if you have a low level Pokemon battle 20 Zubat, you will not necessarily see a +5 gain when it levels up. However, you probably WILL see this kind of gain in a LV 50 Pokemon that’s just starting to battle.