PDA

View Full Version : A Professional Main Banner!

DejaVu1988
4th February 2006, 2:10 PM
i am a professional graphic designer and here something that i made.
and if you are going to use it please do no remove the credit from the banner.
http://images6.theimagehosting.com/Serebii.jpg
responses......

PLANES CURE TOWERS
4th February 2006, 2:20 PM
Well it's certainly better than the current one, and fits more with the theme of the site. I doubt it'll be used though, generally Joe gets the banners done privatley, it's a kick *** job nonetheless.

-Josh

RaZoR LeAf
4th February 2006, 2:38 PM
That's ****ing amazing. Though I think if you left the text out completely (except the credit in the corner and the japanese symbols) it would look better. Just my personal opinion.

But Crono is right, the last time there was a competition held in FanArt to make a bannner the winner was never used. And personally, I think that banners should have the same colourscheme as the style of the site. It's just theat grey and green aren't exactly the greatest of colours to work with.

DejaVu1988
4th February 2006, 2:42 PM
thanks for the comments

Magma Leader Maxie
4th February 2006, 3:18 PM
That's the best banner I've seen so far. A harmony of pixels.

However, a bit like what RaZoR LeAf said, the writting on it (Serebii The Legend, SPP) seems to unbalance the banner because of how it's positioned. Just my thought.

I think that Joe, the conservative (synonym: unprogressive) webmaster, won't apply (m)any radical changes to the main site anytime soon, so it's my belief that your banner won't get the chance of gazing down upon the visitors of Serebii.net.

Serebii
4th February 2006, 3:21 PM
That is a very good banner, unfortunately we do banners for specific events such as this basic Red/Blue one being for the 10th Anniversary of Pokémon, last months was New Years, next months will be Pokémon Ranger.

It also seems to me that your banner is a wee bit cluttered, which does seem to go with the current fansite motive but at SPP we try to keep things simple and to the point

As for me not being progresssive, it's just not feasible with my urrent time constraints and the fact that the site needs to be set out how it is. Besides, the current way is good and it works, why mess with what's not broken

Fatal
4th February 2006, 3:43 PM
Well the outlines of Blastoise and Charizard are certainly nothing special. I think this looks much nicer, and will match the template of the main site a lot better. Perhaps when the 10-year anniversary thing dies down, you could use this one to give the site more appeal.

It's a freakin' sweet banner. 8D

DejaVu1988
4th February 2006, 4:22 PM
if you guys want i can make a banner about diffrent subjects becouse now i am on a vaction and i have a lot of free time! just tell me the subject and tell me what you want to write on the banner and i will make it :)

Esperante
4th February 2006, 5:28 PM
The white pixels on the left side of the banner look really tacky, and the left side in general is cluttered. The first time you look at it, it looks nice, but I would honestly expect a little higher quality in general from a professional graphic designer.

MaskedManAbsolkid
4th February 2006, 5:36 PM
Great banner, but is the 'serebii' wording meant to go off the banner onto the green outlining?

SlimShady
4th February 2006, 10:22 PM
Wow, that is a lot more professional and better than my banner. :D (the Infinite one) That is one of the better banners that I have seen.

~Eon-Ryuu~
4th February 2006, 10:37 PM
It's a shame that this banner won't be used, 'cos its friggin smexeh.

backspace
5th February 2006, 1:22 AM
looks good without a doubt and I like it. however, for a business environment, I think you throw the word "professional" around WAY too loosely.

Wolf Goddess
5th February 2006, 1:26 AM
That is a very good banner, unfortunately we do banners for specific events such as this basic Red/Blue one being for the 10th Anniversary of Pokémon, last months was New Years, next months will be Pokémon Ranger.

It also seems to me that your banner is a wee bit cluttered, which does seem to go with the current fansite motive but at SPP we try to keep things simple and to the point

As for me not being progresssive, it's just not feasible with my urrent time constraints and the fact that the site needs to be set out how it is. Besides, the current way is good and it works, why mess with what's not broken

Okay, that's fair enough, but in all honesty, this banner is much better than any of the ones we've had in ages. "Cluttered"? So what? Our current one consists of two pictures of Pokemon outlines on plain backgrounds pasted together. It's not simple; it's lazy.

Better>good, dear. Besides, the banner's already made. Surely it can't take that long to upload it.

-:Buro-kun Tsubasa:-
5th February 2006, 7:55 AM
Great banner, but is the 'serebii' wording meant to go off the banner onto the green outlining?
Evidently.

Serebii, why are you just throwing away a great banner like this, the only good one I've seen is the Pokemon XD one (With Flareon ECT.). So C'mon, you could use it at some point. Like a Serebii Anniversary or something? Just keep it in mind and give it a thought from time to tim.

I love the banner, its very well done, even though I shoulden't say, that just needs a little more work to be proffesional. Your better than me, and I think its a great banner! Well done! ^_^

Controller of Flames
5th February 2006, 3:24 PM
Come to fan art immiditly because we need people like you.

The banner itself looks focused on the fourth movie, so if you could make a banner on Pokemon Ranger I think you could get it on the main webste.

Serebii
5th February 2006, 3:46 PM
When looking at it further, I cannot actually see myself using it, while its the right resolution in pixels, the borders have been cut severely, obviously to fit more into the middle and thus if I was to upload it, it would screw up the Banner part of the layout

And I stand by the cluttered bit :/ I'm sorry but the point of linking banners is to draw people in, Heading Banners if they're too cluttered, distract people from the website

pisces_beedrill
5th February 2006, 3:50 PM
i am a professional graphic designer and here something that i made.
and if you are going to use it please do no remove the credit from the banner.
http://images6.theimagehosting.com/Serebii.jpg
responses......
wow, amazing, unique, amazing, i am lost for words, c'mon serebii, use it!

Serebii
5th February 2006, 3:55 PM
I told you why I cant, it doesn't fit into the requirements for the banner since its taking over 10 pixels of height of the banner's green border and thus doesn't link in and it's cluttered

DejaVu1988
5th February 2006, 4:27 PM
i had some spare time so i did another banner.... hope you like it. i spended 30min on the color!
http://images3.pictiger.com/images/af/4285def27009e4c368164ac51211f3af.jpg

RaZoR LeAf
5th February 2006, 4:36 PM
The way I see it is "Wow, that's a great banner, I wonder what the rest of the site is like", not "Wow, that's a great banner I'm going to look at it instead of the rest of the website".

That Regi banner is great!

Serebii
5th February 2006, 4:37 PM
Yeah the Regi Banner is much better

DejaVu1988
5th February 2006, 4:44 PM
here is a small brushes upgrade in the edges of the banner
http://images3.pictiger.com/images/aa/0e0ffb829f388ec059af2324ad5fb1aa.jpg

Black Marauder
5th February 2006, 4:54 PM
Yep, that Regi banner is great.

DejaVu1988
5th February 2006, 5:01 PM
what is the exact banner size on this site becouse i can see that my banners dont fit. but i took the banner size from the site?!?!?!?!?

Twitch
5th February 2006, 5:27 PM
;227; As RaZoR LeAf and others said, it's not the banner people come for. People come to SPP for information. It's not like they're going to just sit there drooling over the banner, they're there to answer their questions. But a good banner (which these certainly are) adds, well, pizazz(sp?) to the site. It doesn't even have to have a banner, but it makes the site look nicer. It's not like the contents are changed.

P.S. Your lack of periods is really irritating, because it leaves the sentence hanging and it makes reading your posts quite hard.

DJ Panic!
5th February 2006, 5:36 PM
whoa,those banners are amazing.
considering(not to critisize) serebii.net's banners are kind of,well,you know,plain.
it would be awesome to have you use it.but let's just hope people don't steal them.

The Benmeister
5th February 2006, 5:53 PM
Wow. Very, very nice banners.

Shame they can't be used, but hey, I'm not going to argue about it.

Aptenodytes
5th February 2006, 6:40 PM
Wow nice banners! I especially love the Regis one. Too bad it won't be on the main site, but I'm not in charge so what can i do? :p

Serebii
5th February 2006, 7:37 PM
Another Thing, the banners are not the only part of the banner bit...we have to have a Banner Background at the top so that the width can constantly change, but have the banner in the middle but a seemless transition between the Banner and the "Banner Background". That is impossible with these

smiley.
5th February 2006, 9:19 PM
Nice banners, Dejavu.
Can't you use a random image script so that the banner changes on each page?
That would allow for your DejaVu's banners, and the current banner.
Just a thought.

Torchic23
5th February 2006, 9:20 PM
Awsome! I love these but it's too bad serebii can't use them. Besides It think Serebii's site banners are already good!

Serebii
5th February 2006, 9:29 PM
Nice banners, Dejavu.
That would allow for your DejaVu's banners, and the current banner.
Just a thought.
No it wont, due to the reason I stated in my last post

Ohtachi
5th February 2006, 9:33 PM
Nice Banners. I'd like to see more of your work. Your Regi Trio Banner is really good and deserves great recognition, just like your first banner.

Magma Leader Maxie
5th February 2006, 11:14 PM

I certainly hope not >_> I don't think I would visit again.

Another Thing, the banners are not the only part of the banner bit...we have to have a Banner Background at the top so that the width can constantly change, but have the banner in the middle but a seemless transition between the Banner and the "Banner Background". That is impossible with these

So you seem to have a standard image over which you "layer" the banner? I don't see why that would be a problem to take into consideration. You'd just have to adjust the banner so it matches it's background image. Unless I've missed something.

RaZoR LeAf
5th February 2006, 11:35 PM
Fade the edges out so that it rests on any background well enough and fits into the middle whenever the screen size changes.

Feathered Edges > *

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
5th February 2006, 11:44 PM
i had some spare time so i did another banner.... hope you like it. i spended 30min on the color!
http://images3.pictiger.com/images/af/4285def27009e4c368164ac51211f3af.jpg

This one I like :). A banner dedicated to the Regi's would actually do some good, considering how sorely neglected and hated they are around here.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

Serebii
5th February 2006, 11:45 PM
Indeed, I'ld even consider using the Regi one if an event called for it and we had a background for the table

RaZoR LeAf
6th February 2006, 12:11 AM
Indeed, I'ld even consider using the Regi one if an event called for it and we had a background for the table

Aren't they in the new movie? Translated release perhaps?

nakuru
6th February 2006, 12:17 AM

lol, I love it when you make up excuses to not use someone else's work, especially when it's better than yours.

Serebii
6th February 2006, 8:25 AM
Aren't they in the new movie? Translated release perhaps?
Indeed...thats what I was thinking however i'ld still need a background for it

Eszett
6th February 2006, 8:30 AM
Indeed...thats what I was thinking however i'ld still need a background for itI'm sure that DejaVu himself could design that, and since he made the banner it'll be easier to coordinate the banner to his style of art.

DejaVu1988
6th February 2006, 10:05 AM
okay... i'll preapre a background for the regi banner that will fit perfectly and i hope that will solve the "background banner" problem and the background banner will be mega big so it will cover the full width of this site banner size.
i will post the background later today

Fox
6th February 2006, 10:45 AM
The banners are nice, but my biggest problem with them would be the fact that they look faded. What I mean by that is that they look like how some cardboard box designs fade in the sun, turning a blueish color. You can see what I mean when if you compare the banners to the original images, which can be found here (http://www.pokemon-tcg.com/legends/downloads/wallpapers/wallpaper4_800x600.jpg) :s

Phaarix
6th February 2006, 12:06 PM
These banners are INCREDIBLE, I absolutely love them :). They do really stand out. The colours, the layout, the contrast... it all fits together so well!

Oh and... being completely modest here :p. I won the SPP10 banner contest (was under a different name back then), however my banner was never used either due, I think, to the fact that it would be too much trouble to change the site or something (nor did SPP10 eventuate), so I wouldn't worry too much if it doesn't get used. But damn... your banners absolutely own mine in every single way *IS JEALOUS* :D.

Fade the edges out so that it rests on any background well enough and fits into the middle whenever the screen size changes.

Completely agree with you there, it's exactly what I was about to suggest :). A great banner which doesn't fit in certain resolutions is often worse than just a plain text header due to the "messy" look it gives the page. Do this and I see no reason why Serebii shouldn't use these great banners.

Fatal
7th February 2006, 12:46 AM
Yes, the Regi banner is amazing. A lot better than the first one actually. I would really, really like to see this one be used on SPP.

-Fatal

Heracross
7th February 2006, 4:57 AM
The banners are nice, but my biggest problem with them would be the fact that they look faded. What I mean by that is that they look like how some cardboard box designs fade in the sun, turning a blueish color. You can see what I mean when if you compare the banners to the original images, which can be found here (http://www.pokemon-tcg.com/legends/downloads/wallpapers/wallpaper4_800x600.jpg) :s
I quite like that quality about them, actually. The originals look to shiny and clean imo.

Chris
8th February 2006, 1:49 AM
Insta-fail. >_> It should have been GREEN and Red. Not Blue and Red.

Fox
8th February 2006, 2:34 AM
Insta-fail. >_> It should have been GREEN and Red. Not Blue and Red.
Aren't we celebrating the American 10th Anniversary of Pokemon?

Edit: Scratch that, I guess not lol

Perhaps Red and Blue were chosen due to the fact that a majority of the people are familiar with those two being the first?

MidnightScott
8th February 2006, 2:55 AM
I say that all 3 should be on there, considering Green, Red, and Blue all came out the same year in Japan...but it's always SO MUCH trouble to do these things :/ according to certain people.

But anyways - your banners are really awesome, I would love for you to make ones for my forum! xD

~Scott;229;

Chris
8th February 2006, 9:01 AM
Perhaps Red and Blue were chosen due to the fact that a majority of the people are familiar with those two being the first?
Didn't stop NoA from releasing FireRed and LeafGreen or Joe from making a forum skin based off of FR and LG. :P

Serebii
8th February 2006, 10:24 AM
If I did Red/Green the majority would have been confused and I would have had people moaning about me celebrating 10 years of FRLG when its barely been out for 2 years

Chris
9th February 2006, 1:09 PM
As if you haven't confused people who have no idea about anything before. :P

V Faction
9th February 2006, 6:34 PM
As if you haven't confused people who have no idea about anything before. :P
I am quoting this for the truth that it spews.

pisces_beedrill
9th February 2006, 6:38 PM
here is a small brushes upgrade in the edges of the banner
http://images3.pictiger.com/images/aa/0e0ffb829f388ec059af2324ad5fb1aa.jpg
that banner is so cool! i love it! better than the 1st one!

The Ownage
10th February 2006, 8:40 PM
I like the idea, very cool design, but it doesn't fit with the "feel" of the skin. It looks too professional actually, which may distract new registered people, thinking this is a strict forum, but actually a community for everyone. So nice idea, but I wouldn't take it.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
10th February 2006, 10:09 PM
wow, these banners are just awesome! :)
i think they would be very good if they were used, but they're good on their own anyways!

DejaVu1988
11th February 2006, 2:43 PM
Here is the new banner for this site + background Banner
Banner (Dark Style):
http://images3.pictiger.com/images/ff/f144a88780ac15281eec11b1c16b9fff.jpg
Background Banner:
http://images3.pictiger.com/images/af/6055e2742701ad9e9709ae6603f2ddaf.jpg
Here Is How It Should Be:
http://images3.pictiger.com/images/d3/99c1532a3752dd69c897ddd180b833d3.jpg

*here is one that i made for a friend:
http://images3.pictiger.com/images/78/640278d24356ed8d7c21d273ffee4f78.jpg

Magma Leader Maxie
11th February 2006, 8:20 PM
I have to say that I don't like your new Dak style one as much as I liked the first one.

You've got the whole center and left side coloured with dark bule-black, and the small right side visually tilts the banner towards the right. It's unbalanced.

DejaVu1988
12th February 2006, 5:30 PM
I have to say that I don't like your new Dak style one as much as I liked the first one.

You've got the whole center and left side coloured with dark bule-black, and the small right side visually tilts the banner towards the right. It's unbalanced.
every body and his opinion.....