PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever ask anyone (like another author) to edit you're stories

Ace Kenshader
6th February 2006, 4:47 PM
This poll just popped into my mind after the prologue of my story ended as ugly as Michael Jackson (don't even think about quoting this.)

I wondered if any other authors on this website ever ask another author to edit their stories.

I might try this.

Elemental Charizam
6th February 2006, 4:59 PM
Well, I do have the pleasure of having the brilliant author/great typo and stupid mistakes I've made finder, Chibi Pika, looking over ITF! Hooray for her!

...On that subject, I keep forgetting to comment on her newest post in TLC *hits self with stick*

Ace Kenshader
6th February 2006, 5:05 PM
Ok this is a surpriese, someone voted the crappy poll one.

And I voted how am I to ask another author to edit my story.

~*Ratiosu*~
6th February 2006, 5:50 PM
Then why would you have this poll if you don't know how to ask another author to edit your story?

You have another author edit your story by writing it, sending it to your beta reader if you have one over PM, and they send it back to you edited. That's all.

Ace Kenshader
6th February 2006, 5:56 PM
1. I don't know why
2. maybe there are a few other authors who also don't know.

but it's mostly 1. I did not even think straight.

You know I'm new, so I'm stupid to ask what is a beta reader

Negrek
7th February 2006, 3:40 AM
I should be smacked for telling other people to get betas while I don't have one myself. Mostly, I rely on reviewers and my own proofreading to find mistakes. Most of the people I'd ask to beta are much too busy to do so for me, so I just do it myself.

Xiang
7th February 2006, 3:56 AM
I once offered to beta someone's fic, and it was a ton of work, I tell you. Turns out I did a pretty good job, but I don't feel like doing it again. >.> And YNA has Flame Man as a beta, a good friend of mine. Or at least after he offered. xB

Kiyohime
7th February 2006, 4:03 AM
I'm Serpent Syra's slavemaster. :P I use his talents to tell me if a scene in Aeon needs more "hoo-HAH!" or "hoo-ZAP!" description. That kinda stuff. <<;

Ryano Ra
7th February 2006, 4:09 AM
I'm Serpent Syra's slavemaster. :P I use his talents to tell me if a scene in Aeon needs more "hoo-HAH!" or "hoo-ZAP!" description. That kinda stuff. <<;XDD

I always ask people about how scenes and editing should go within my fanfictions. However, I'm learning how to thoroughly proofread my fanfiction's chapter (the majority of it, at least) and edit things to make them blossom in the way I wanted them to, so the readers can be attracted by the aroma, beauty, and overall significance and impact, if you get my drift.

But yes, I'm Scrap's slave and I help her with scenes, though sometimes, I have to draw the line and say, RAH RAH RAH! Hi-eeee! and then, she'll realize how much I can own her as she owns me. XD *locks himself back up in shackles in the basement* 8D

Power Shot
7th February 2006, 4:15 AM
On another site, I work with a member named Selah with Forgotten Legend's chapters, but mostly everything else I do myself. I do beta and work with Ledian when he needs help with Starbolts sometimes, but I rarely ask people to look something over for myself.

indigestible_wad
7th February 2006, 5:54 AM
I beta fair few stories, but I don't know about letting someone completely edit a piece of one of my stories.

Seiryu
7th February 2006, 6:02 AM
Well, I haven't yet posted any fanfics here yet, but I'm a member of a couple of fantasy roleplays on a couple of other forums. As such, I feel fairly experienced as a writer; in one of those RPs I'm consistently able to do more with my single character than the other members do with their two, three, or five.

However, I never feel the need to ask someone to edit one of my stories. I might throw an idea out (in my circle of HONEST friends) and see what they think, but I do all of the writing on my own. I'm pretty good at catching my own mistakes through proofreading; I tend to read even my regular posts a number of times over for errors. As for the overall content...well, I've been writing pretty actively for close to three and a half years now. I think I know what aspects of writing I really need to work on.

Keleri
8th February 2006, 5:08 AM
Nope. I'm a pretty good proof-reader, and whenever I go to add on to a chapter in progress I read what I've already written, so it generally gets proofread pretty well. Reviewers will catch the glaring mistakes, and every so often I ask Farla to critique a collection of chapters; she's sharp enough that she catches my more insidious mistakes. ^^; Generally the people who I could possibly ask to beta (Farla, Negrek, a few others) are pretty busy on their own but would (probably) do it eventually; I'm too excited about finally finishing a new chapter to wait for it, hehe.

T.W. North
8th February 2006, 6:41 AM
I did once, but I learnt that editors aren't always reliable, at least not other author ones.

Dilasc
8th February 2006, 7:43 AM
I need a beta reader. Seriously, after writing a chapter, sometimes I can't bear to look over my work again unless I want to feel all embarrassed. Yea, I probably should find myself a beta reader, since at the rate I'm going, I could use one.

pokeplayer984
8th February 2006, 2:41 PM
I do it all by myself and that's the way it will stay. Besides, with me having the habit to edit out immediately when I make a mistake of some kind, it's just better to do it myself.

Jetx
13th February 2006, 12:14 PM
Once somebody offered to do it for me, but he never did... I voted sometimes, but I'd prefer an option like "Hardly ever". Sometimes I put them on my website because reviewers don't come too quickly there. Elemental Charizam seems to help me correct my typos an awful lot, so I suppose that could count...

Act
13th February 2006, 4:27 PM
I don't have a beta, unfortunately. I'm not the greatest proofreader ever, so I probably need one, but the people I'd ask are always pretty busy, so I wait until I'm ready to post a chapter and just rel on concrit-like reviews. Usually I can catch typos by re-reading, but that's boring, and some grammar things sound right to me in my head but aren't so it's nice to have reviewers :)

Chibi Pika
13th February 2006, 6:29 PM
I picked number 2 *shot* XP Actually, my chapters do have tons of mistakes, but I'm content with just fixing them after readers point them out.

~Chibi~;249;<?>;rukario;

IceKing
13th February 2006, 6:38 PM
Though I have serious grammar problems, I prefer NOT to have a beta for two reason.

#1- My chapters and kinda long and I don't want to make anyone suffer
#2- The one person who I trust as beta is a big procrastinator
#3- I'd rather get my mistakes pointed out in reviews so that I learn from them

Ryusuke Hikari
13th February 2006, 8:54 PM
Yes. Once at my first fic: Pokemon the 11th Movie. I let someone (can't remember who) edit my prolouge, but I said, "Hey, I'll do it myself!" And look how it turned out! LOL It came out as a decent fic with a bunch of grammar errors. XP

DarkGirl
16th February 2006, 10:47 PM
I don't ask people do do my homework for me, why's writing different? I only like it if it's what the author has done, not a crappy story that has been edited so much by other writers that is no longer one persons work. In reviews, people give advice to you, the author, so that you, the author can change it how you see fit.

DANdotW
16th February 2006, 11:19 PM
I agre completely with DarkGirl. I don't view getting other authors to edit my work as proper writing. Okay, getting someone you know to Beta Read it for mistakes you may not have picked up on, that's not too bad. But seriously, I'd prefer to get major criticism for something I've done wrong, than gt lots of praise for something someone else has done extrememly right.

Hunter

Burnt Flower
19th February 2006, 3:07 AM
I've considered getting my stories beta-ed, but then decided that it's better to learn from my own mistakes, and my chapters come very, very infrequently so why bother?

...And I think there's some laziness involved. :p

Sempris
19th February 2006, 5:18 AM
Nope.

Flat-out no.

98.9% of it is because I'm too lazy to go ask someone: "Will you read this?" and the other 2% is my ego saying "Why would I need a beta..? I'm a perfectionist anyway, and I correct everything on MS word. They aren't going to find anything that I didn't."

*nodnod* I really am a perfectionist. I read over my own story a gazillion times until my eyes are bloodshot. If I see as so much as a small squiggly red line or green one, I zap it with the power of my backspace button and the spellchecker. D: Quite sad, I must say.

JoJo@210
19th February 2006, 5:54 AM
Well the only thing I asked for Beta-ing my fic is my grammer. Me no good at grammer. :P

I don't ask for anything else but fixing the grammer, it is the one thing I suck at in English class. I hate all of these pronouns, adverbs, gerunds, and all that other crap! >:< It makes me pull my hair out, my chapters aren't that long I think the longest I made was a 9 page in word, but Dubble Flux didn't mind since my story is very good with the plot, characters and twists. I hate asking since I don't want to bother anyone with such a big job, but Dubble Flux is a big fan and happily does it for me.

Like Mindripper I asked to beta my first chapter but it seemed like it had to many fancy words.

I edited my second chapter the best I could cause mindripper is I don't know where.

And Dubble Flux has beta my third one which I love the most on how he beta it. I want to stick with DF on beta-ing for me.

Xiang
19th February 2006, 2:21 PM
Well, I pretty much need a beta at times. If I write a long chapter, say, then I can't catch the typos. I don't have Word. Or a very good spell check thing installed. Usually I catch typoes, but that's only when I proofread, which I could sleep through because I'm too lazy and I barely even have the time.

Saffire Persian
25th February 2006, 12:05 AM
Well, I haven't yet asked anyone to beta-read for my stories.

The thing is, I probably need one to find all the errors that I pass over, so that I don't look quite so stupid when they pop up like dandelions in my narrative. ^_^;