PDA

View Full Version : The Cave of Dragonflies

Dragonfree
9th February 2006, 1:17 AM
I'm finally done making revisions to the whole site and stuff, and thus I'm going to do some advertising. Teh fwee.

The Cave of Dragonflies (http://www.dragonflycave.com)

Comments, suggestions, error reports, whatever you've got, post it here.

-:Buro-kun Tsubasa:-
9th February 2006, 3:05 PM
Okay, this is great site! But the Styles don't seem that good, all except for Voice Of The Forest Style. You update alot, which is good, you've got alot of rewards. What could be better is moving the Front Page Hits maby to the Bottom, or underneath the Affiliates? Also, you don't need some of the pages in my opinion. The Espion/Umbreon Page dosen't seem needed, helpfull, but could go in the Pokedex? The Fun section is, well... Different, but in a good way. All it needs is a bit of cleaning up with the irrelevent pages and the styles improving, and it will be a great site! 8/10.

Dragonfree
9th February 2006, 6:21 PM
Umm, cleaning up irrelevant pages is what I've just been doing. o_o The Pokédex doesn't have locations (heck, I don't think it's even working at all on this server), so no, the Espeon/Umbreon info could not go there. When I get the G/S/C tips and tricks page back up, I can merge the Espeon/Umbreon info for them into that and put some of the other stuff from the section elsewhere, but right now I have a perfectly fine section of information which wouldn't make much sense to just randomly remove because technically it could belong in a section that doesn't exist yet.

The styles are designed to be different so that everybody can find one they like. You like the Voice of the Forest one, but not everybody necessarily will - one of my friends absolutely hates it, for example. Some people might like the convenience of Axe-Murderer style's drop-down menus (provided they're not using Internet Explorer) and many like layouts that are plain and load fast. As long as everybody can find at least one style they like and are happy with viewing the site in, I consider the purpose of the styleswitcher met. The whole point of the styleswitcher is to appeal to a wide variety of tastes. I don't expect you to think they all look great.

Jetx
18th February 2006, 9:12 PM
Has great content and lots of entertaining things. Not much bad about it, at all.

Guitar dude bill
18th February 2006, 9:16 PM
Good content and really fun. The affiliates are very disturbing though and should be fitted into one page. The layout could be slightly improved as the bar where you get to your pages is a bit basically columned. But I still like the layout.

PS: Happy birthday Dragonfree.

Jetx
18th February 2006, 9:20 PM
I just went on that new hell-fire skin, and i can't get off it.

chaos on the internet
18th February 2006, 11:25 PM
Dragonfree, how does it feel to get a lower score than pokeside.info from Broken Wings?

Anyway, it'd be cool if the forums respected my choice on style from the other site, and vice versa. It also seems as if the forums switch styles by JavaScript and the other by reloading the page...

Magma Leader Maxie
19th February 2006, 12:41 AM
I'm glad to see a site that wasn't constructed with EIL (Ego Inflation Language) as most sites here are. *sad face, shakes head*

Wow, quite a site. I have to say that those affiliate links are almost doing you a favour, making the site's visual impact better. Never thought I'd say it.
Apart from that, I don't have any comments. I like your site, and that's a bit self-explicatory. *Bookmarks*

Serebii93
19th February 2006, 12:58 AM
Wow...that's a cool site. I like it. I didn't realize Dragonfree did that! My rating: 9/10

Dragonfree
19th February 2006, 2:01 AM
I just went on that new hell-fire skin, and i can't get off it.
That is most likely because you clicked the link to Hellfire style in the update, which does not change the style cookie; it adds ?style=houndoom at the end of the URL, which simply overrides your normal style choice temporarily. Remove that part of the URL, and it will be back to the style you had before.

Anyway, it'd be cool if the forums respected my choice on style from the other site, and vice versa. It also seems as if the forums switch styles by JavaScript and the other by reloading the page...
That would be because I'm using crappy old Invisionfree at the moment (although as we speak, I'm preparing and testing the new vBulletin forum). The new forums will share the main site's style system.

Thanks to everybody who commented. All suggestions will definitely be considered.

-:Buro-kun Tsubasa:-
19th February 2006, 7:02 PM
Chaos On The Internet, shut up, you'r site would be a 0! I like Pokeside, and I like this site, both alot. And how the hell, may I ask, is it your job to compare MY ratings, just SHUT UP, 'kay? And not everything can revolve around YOUR choice, you've got my friend banned, so just Shut It.

Anyways, the new Hellfire skin is great!

Lord_Kokkei
19th February 2006, 7:23 PM
Yeah chaos, shut up. Nobody asked for your opinion except for dragonfree. Anyways, i like the pokemon list creator thing, it's so convenient!

Guitar dude bill
19th February 2006, 7:57 PM
I fear we gonna have a pile of banned Chaos haters. Somehow I get the feeling Chaos is gonna end up like Renegade. Go on a permanent Hiatus. But lets not start another war again. I don't want Broken Wings to end up like Charlizard did. Nor do I want anybody to end up like Charlizard. Lets just keep our arguments with Chaos clean.

Can I ask a question? What options are there for the 'what pokemon are you'? And how do you get that game on your own sites.

Virtual Headache
19th February 2006, 8:13 PM
Yeah chaos, shut up. Nobody asked for your opinion except for dragonfree.
Uh, that sentence doesn't even make sense.
And charlizard, did you really think the mods won't notice when you sign up again?

And please, EVERYONE, back to topic -.-

Well, my rating:
I've always liked the Cave of the Dragonflies, because it's one of the very few sites who's got a lot of different content, unlike most of those other Pokémon sites.
I mean, there are tons of sites with the same content: basic info on Games, Anime and some news.
Dragonflycave is different, it has got something new.
The creative sections are great and the quizzes are fun^^
The style changer is also very useful.

Hmm, suggestions...
Well, there isn't much I can suggest, but could you change the location of the polls (or probably make an own page for them), I didn't see them at first o.o

Zim Del Invasor
19th February 2006, 9:32 PM
I love The Cave Of Dragonflies. I always go on it. It rocks. Yay for The Cave of Dragonflies!

Jetx
19th February 2006, 10:09 PM
Yeah, pika2000 refreshed my memory of why i like it. Because it's so different. it has the quiz, the zodiac, and stuff like that. most other pokemon sites don't.

chaos on the internet
19th February 2006, 10:30 PM
i just banged my face against my keyboard and pressed enter
it's so easy to get a response out of you isn't it cutie

but this "hiatus" thing doesn't seem too bad. There really isn't much to rate or help here, just the same old forum links and mediocre freewebs sites. I do like that Dragonflycave site however! Take over for me, will you Broken Wings? Just what everyone needs to rate their sites, an illiterate idiot. :(

Magma Leader Maxie
19th February 2006, 11:38 PM
I'm an outsider to this continuous argument, but unfortunately, I have to read through garbage like this

Chaos On The Internet, shut up, you'r site would be a 0! I like Pokeside, and I like this site, both alot. And how the hell, may I ask, is it your job to compare MY ratings, just SHUT UP, 'kay? And not everything can revolve around YOUR choice, you've got my friend banned, so just Shut It.
while I'm supposed to be reading through pleasant site improvement notes.

I'm fed up of this, and I'm going to have several new aditions to my ignore list if you don't stop it soon. While both chaos and Broken Wings are doing the aforementioned annoying actions, I have to step to chaos' side because even if I didn't know anything about him being a connoisseur of web technology and website construction, it would be remarkably easy for me to see who is the more intelligent and mature poster.

There is hardly a single new thread here that hasn't been spoiled by your inexorable quarrelling.

Therefore, I would like to suggest (with a friendly tone) that you stop this and give site ratings which you believe are deserved by the site in question regardless of each other and stop making Serebii's SQL database unnecessarily heavier. It would make a lot of people happy including me :)

PART 1.1 - Back on topic

I was wondering whether you are going to make matching templates on the new vBulletin so that we can have the new forums and the site in the same colour and with the same type of images (eg. a Hellfire based style)?

DragonDance
20th February 2006, 2:50 AM

Anyways, the new Hellfire skin is great!
Smogon is most definately not a 0

Virtual Headache
20th February 2006, 3:09 AM
Ok, for the last time: back to topic!

This thread is about Dragonflycave and nothing else.
All posts which go off topic now, will just be deleted.

Atoyont
20th February 2006, 3:15 AM
I personally think it is a very good site. 9/10

Dragonfree
20th February 2006, 2:20 PM
Hmm, suggestions...
Well, there isn't much I can suggest, but could you change the location of the polls (or probably make an own page for them), I didn't see them at first o.o
They sort of already do have their own page (although that's just the poll archive where they go when there's a new poll to replace them), and every time there is a new poll, I mention it in the update and link down to where the poll is. I thought it would be enough, but do you think I should move them?

I was wondering whether you are going to make matching templates on the new vBulletin so that we can have the new forums and the site in the same colour and with the same type of images (eg. a Hellfire based style)?
As I said to chaos, yes, that is the plan.

pisces_beedrill
21st February 2006, 4:19 PM
i love the site, especially the quizzes and i love the ninetales skin!
http://www.vilhjalmur.com/butterfree/yamew.jpg (http://www.dragonflycave.com/wpay.aspx) partly true

Kyaku
22nd February 2006, 2:59 AM
Gotta love the Hell Fire style. <3 I can't believe I'm saying this but I only started spriting because I read your guide. ^^; I would like to see the Hell Fire style on the Fourm. Also, when I put the arrow over the Fourms button, I thought it said, "Cheat on the fourms!" O_o What is wrong with my eyes?
Heh, It's one of the best Pokemon sites I've seen. Also, I see you've updated your sprites page.

A bit off-topicness: You do have a GBA to Game Cube link right? If not, you should buy one. With all the Pokemon you can't get on Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald and Fire Red and Leaf Green, you should get one. You get Lugia to. But I'm just saying.

Dragonfree
22nd February 2006, 4:12 AM
Umm, what did that have to do with anything? o_O Yes, I have a GBA-Game Cube link cable, but I don't see how that had anything to do with anything in relation to The Cave of Dragonflies or even me in particular.

Kyaku
22nd February 2006, 10:14 PM
I was just saying that since you said on your site you were getting XD so yeah...But gosh I'm sorry. I get on people's nerves a lot. :(

Dragonfree
23rd February 2006, 12:43 AM
You didn't get on my nerves, it was just an irrelevant comment. Also, if you have no technical reason to believe I don't have or plan to get a GBA-GC link cable already, you normally shouldn't randomly point it out - it would be kind of embarrassing if I inserted a "by-the-way" comment into my post explaining to you what sheep look like, wouldn't it?

Shiny Spoink
4th March 2006, 2:24 AM
Awesome site Dragonfree!!!9/10 needs more fun, it has a lot of fun but I personally like A!!!!LOT!!! of fun!

Virtual Headache
4th March 2006, 2:33 AM
Shiny Spoink, don't advertise your site in other people's threads, make a new thread if you want to get it rated.

Shiny Spoink
4th March 2006, 6:47 AM
ok, i edited the first post and made a new thread, sorry