PDA

View Full Version : Whence come these bulwarks that clog the bright streams of data?

Eszett
10th February 2006, 10:30 PM
Recently it has come to the attention of several members that these servers barely do their job in delivering us the pages reliably, having gone down many times in the last couple of day. However, ever since this last bout of downtime I am now flat-out appalled about how unreliable these servers are. While before it merely irked me, now it's severely getting on my nerves. Even when the forums aren't down, they run incredibly sluggish. This amount of downtime is simply inexcusable.

We all know these nearly-daily occurances of this downtime aren't going on due to some regular updates. The old server worked just fine without any of this mess. Joe, please do somet hing about this matter. D:

Serebii
10th February 2006, 10:39 PM
You are severely exaggerating, it is nowhere near that bad, yes its down sometiems but thats beyond our control and is primarily based on usage

Mequuh
10th February 2006, 10:44 PM
I've only seen it down twice, but I've only started getting on the site to check news in January.. And not very often. But if the old server was better, just switch and fix it.. I guess its up to you. But why did you switch if the old one wasn't down as much. -_o

And Eszett... Whats the tittle mean? I've been sitting here trying to figure it out.

Eszett
10th February 2006, 10:47 PM
Whence means "from where", bulwarks are a sort of barrier, and "the bright streams of data" refers to the transmittance of data between the server and your computer.

And perhaps I exaggerate a little, Joe, but I seem to recall it going down at least two to three times this month out of schedule.

Serebii
10th February 2006, 10:49 PM
Thats because the server isnt used to dealing with the excessive load aswell as a complete backup which we often have

And we switched away from the old servers because they were **** and they were extortionatly expensive

Eszett
10th February 2006, 10:58 PM
It hasn't been any more busy than it has in other times. If anything, it would have been less busy on account that many of the pre-college American posters here were being consumed with midterms and whatnot. Besides of which, how would the backup impair the performance of the site? It's not like people are downloading it thus reducing the reliability of the site; it just stays on the server until it is needed.

And the last servers were cheaper, were they not? That statement seems contradictory to those which I recall you and others making.

Serebii
10th February 2006, 11:01 PM
But at those other busy times, we arent making a backup of the database

The Database itself is over a Gigabyte and it needs to copy the database, back it up, put it into a specific file etc.

The last servers were in no way cheaper

Heracross
10th February 2006, 11:34 PM
So the server needs to back itself up three or four times a day then? ¬¬

Mimori Kiryu
10th February 2006, 11:37 PM
I've noticed this too. I've had this come up about four or five times today. Is there an actual reason for it or just because Serebii.Net Forums is really popular?

Serebii
10th February 2006, 11:43 PM
I haven't noticed this sort of downtime so it is possible that it isnt a fault on the server, but rather a fault on one of the hops between several of you and the server

Heracross
10th February 2006, 11:46 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Heracross/lol.jpg

It's the server, Joe. :/

Mimori Kiryu
10th February 2006, 11:46 PM
I guess that's true too. o.o; Sometimes it just doesn't open and says it can find the server or it says something along the lines of 'the server is being worked on right now, please link the reload button on your toolbar to try again.'

Or something like that.

Magma Leader Maxie
11th February 2006, 12:02 AM
I've noticed it too, and there seems to be more and more "Not Available" pages for me, too.

I thought that when backups are made (even Gigabyte ones) the server's speed should not be seriously impaired, if they're saved on the server itself. I don't think that getting "Not Available" three times a week has much to do with your database backup being made since it's made towards the end of the week, if I recall correctly.

I suppose you can't do much about it. But I have to admit that your server seems to be coughing under the strain of those who connect to it. It seems to be restarting a bit too often too. But apart for that, ... *sigh* I'll have a regular server-down and a diet coke, please.

TRJessie579
11th February 2006, 12:39 AM
Happening to me, too, for the record.

I was coming on to make a thread about it, myself. XD

Wolf Goddess
11th February 2006, 12:40 AM
I've noticed it ALOT. And it's really starting to bug me. Once a week? Fine. Twice a week? Okay. But three times in a day? No, just no.

Juputoru
I just had a few posts load somewhat slowly, and I went "oh great, the servers are down AGAIN?!" Which they hadn't but still. If I start getting thoughts of server doom whenever things start being slow, I start to have doubts about the quality of the servers being used...and start to wonder as to whether I should only start accessing the site at 1 in the morning under the cover of the pale, pale moonlight, after having ritualisticly sacrificed half the forum-going population to the gods of server speed and maintainance.

But in all seriousness...there's no reason for this that I can see. We haven't had problems with tons of users using the forums before(at least, not like THIS), and I fail to see why making a backup on the SERVER ITSELF would slow things down that much and for that long, even IF the file is huge(and here's a thought...if this is the problem, MAKE BACKUPS DURING PERIODS THAT ARE TYPICALLY SLOW. I know that with users from several continents using the forums that there usually aren't times that have almost no users at all, but there have to be times with considerably fewer users than others). There's also the matter that this happens several times a day, without warning. The forums are buzzing along fine one moment, and then...BAM! "Page cannot be displayed". ...How long have we had these new servers, again? :/

Nobody wants to use forums that go down frequently and unpredictably like this. It forces people to wait to view threads when they shouldn't have to, there are undoubtedly some people that lose posts that they had just finished making, and it makes it look like you don't care enough to get better servers(at least to some people).

I haven't noticed this sort of downtime so it is possible that it isnt a fault on the server, but rather a fault on one of the hops between several of you and the server
It's possible that you weren't using the forums when the downtimes occur, y'know. (OMGzorz unthinkable idea :O) But seriously, whether you see it or not, there is still a problem. SPPf users are a whiny bunch, but we don't complain about non-existant issues.

In short...
Server slow. Sever go down. Server bad. Users unhappy. Useful/believable explainations not offered. Degeneration into caveman talk now happening. Server still slow like caveman at times. Cavewomen Oggess not amused. Solution must be found! Ugga ugh! Oggess now go be hunter and kill bad server that not work well.

Oggess now stop cavewoman talk.

PLANES CURE TOWERS
The thread title is a tad pretentious, don't you think? :/

I couldn't give a damn about the server tbh, I mean, yeah, it means I can't get onto the best forum on the internet for about 5 minutes, but that is no real indictment unto my life. This server is an improvement from the previous one. And if you feel the need to occupy the five minutes or whatever the server goes down, go to fark or something, and have a look at some news stories. I hardly think that in those five minutes you can't find something to do, on the internet. --;

-Josh

Heracross
11th February 2006, 1:01 AM
I would be inclined to agree if it wasn't happening four times a day. We shouldn't be expected to c/p every single post we're about to make in the anticipation of a crash.

Ohtachi
11th February 2006, 2:09 AM
I found the server being down a nuissance, too. But that is why MySpace exists. :) Anyways, I don't know anything about the old server, and I haven't had any major problems with this server. I just wish the server would go down while the kiddies like me are at school. :/

Fatal
11th February 2006, 2:12 AM
It's inconvenient, yes, but not horribly unbearable. It would be nice if the server ran faster, because like Eszett said, the forums are running slow as hell even when they're up. And I do have to c/p my post into a document just in case I happen to lose it. o.o

-Fatal

Eszett
11th February 2006, 3:15 AM
The thread title is a tad pretentious, don't you think? :/Pretentious? Bamboozling, maybe, but I fail to see how it is pretentious. :confused:

Anyways, you can't just leave the server issue latent like this. Clearly this problem ought to be fixed.

Atoyont
11th February 2006, 3:23 AM
Nice title, Eszett. :)
But yes, I have been noticing this. I got home from school today and trying to load one page took a (relatively) long period of the flow of the time-space continuum.
But if it is out of Serebii's control, on well.

Serebii
11th February 2006, 9:54 AM
We have had this server since May last year so its not as if its like "Its a new server, it sucks, get a new one"

When the forums arent down, I do not notice ANY lack in speed whatsoever.

The problem causing the downtime is beyond my control so just bite down on your lip and put up with it til its fixed

Heracross
11th February 2006, 10:07 AM
Which will be when exactly? Do the people who maintain the server even know there's a problem? Do you have any sort of contact with them so you can at least ask about it?

I'm sorry, but just sitting back and waiting for it to fix itself is not a very good solution. :/

PLANES CURE TOWERS
11th February 2006, 12:14 PM
Which will be when exactly? Do the people who maintain the server even know there's a problem? Do you have any sort of contact with them so you can at least ask about it?

I'm sorry, but just sitting back and waiting for it to fix itself is not a very good solution. :/
Supposing it is the only solution, then it's the best option there is. :/

I still don't get why people are getting so worked up about not being able to access this place for 5 minutes. @_@

-Josh

Shadowcat
11th February 2006, 12:17 PM
It's because some people are typing lengthy PMs or Posts, only to have them deleted when they click the Reply/Send Button...

Which is what happened to me many times...

PLANES CURE TOWERS
11th February 2006, 12:33 PM
Oh the horror... the horror... the horror of having to save your PM's etc... I have to do it myself, and it doesn't exactly take me a lifetime to highlight what I've typed and hit Ctrl and C, in fact it takes me roundabout 2 or 3 seconds.

-Josh

Fox
11th February 2006, 7:51 PM
It's because some people are typing lengthy PMs or Posts, only to have them deleted when they click the Reply/Send Button...

Do what Fic writers are almost required to do, if you're typing a lengthy PM or post, use Notepad or some simple text editor to type it in. That way the only thing that'll kill it is if your computer crashes. I haven't seen the forums down that much, and when it is running it doesn't really seem slow.

Edit: okay, so the forums lagged/went down right when I posted this. Good job. lol

Heracross
11th February 2006, 9:48 PM
Supposing it is the only solution, then it's the best option there is. :/
I'm well aware that he can't do anything about it personally, but never the less it would be nice to have the assurance that it's being looked into by people who can. I honestly don't think that's too much to ask for. :/

blueguy
11th February 2006, 9:58 PM
What's ironic is that as I was typing a response, the site wouldn't load and it couldn't be posted. This is RIDICULOUS and the frequency of this downtime is unacceptable. Also, Serebii, you shouldn't just dismiss the thread like you do. That's stupid, because it's obvious that EVERYONE is having constant trouble with the forums.

EDIT - Even this freaking post was even delayed... I'm getting really sick and tired of this... -_-

PLANES CURE TOWERS
11th February 2006, 10:03 PM
That's stupid, because it's obvious that EVERYONE is having constant trouble with the forums.
I'm not :)

-Josh

Serebii
11th February 2006, 10:03 PM
I didn't dismiss it...I said that it is out of my control so stop moaning

S.Suikun
11th February 2006, 10:14 PM
Wow, how often does this happen? (About one hour ago)
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f319/shiningsuikun/ph44rt3hlag.png

People seem to be able to get on right now, but the lag seems to have different intervals throughout the day.

Heracross
11th February 2006, 10:16 PM
I just love how you're ignoring my posts. I mean, I realize how completely unreasonable it is to expect feedback from the server operators. It's simply unthinkable that anyone would dare ask for such a ridiculous thing.

:/

Angeling
11th February 2006, 11:02 PM
Well, I think the problem has been persisting for quite some time.. but apparently it's not [really] affecting those who are online at the late times. Because when I was in Hong Kong, I went in SPPf at around earliest of 11 PM to around 7 AM latest in New York time.. and had no problem.

While Sapphire seems to have problems herself, I think the server issues or whatever it is really persists during the usual early hours or afternoon..

I think it's getting normal for me, but I don't know. I've been having a lot of the forementioned issues too, PMs and posts alike. I even double posted by accident in the sig check thread.

Joe may just not be experiencing the issues because of the times he goes on.. and he might not go on too often either. But I do hope it will lessen in the near future.

And I honestly don't think he's ignoring everyone.. :/ Maybe it is really out of his control? I don't know..

chaos on the internet
12th March 2006, 8:13 AM
this is a good thread

Infinity
12th March 2006, 8:26 AM
Simple answer, complain to Serebii's server. Complaining on here won't work as I doubt the people who control the server will even hear of this thread.

Also being on a pokémon site such as this one is a luxury. It's not a must have, it's a thing for leisure.

gregjammer
12th March 2006, 8:34 AM
Where I live in, in the daytime, I get "Page cannot be displayed." In the near-late-night hours in my town(Glendale, AZ), which at that time of the day, if it was either Friday or Saturday on a normal weekend, or Sunday if it's a holiday weekend, then I might stay awake around that time, but if it was not either one of the days and/or cases mentioned above, in which case the day is Sunday - Thursday on a normal weekend, or M-Th on a holiday weekend, because those nights are school nights, I probably would already be in bed... So yeah, I'm concerned about it... Why? Because of these server difficulties, I'm not on when I want to be on, and that makes me feel mad, but not in any mood to whine about it... So I think it's the server. Why? Because of the fact that when it's daytime in America, the majority of all members might be wanting to get on, but can't because of the server, and depending on the quality of the server, maybe it can't handle huge loads at the same time, maybe not, who knows? Besides, they might not have the time later to get on the forums anyway, and thus, it might be the server because I bet that nowadays, it can't handle huge loads like it used to. A load means a lot of members logged on at the same time, just to let you know...

Shigaiko
12th March 2006, 8:49 AM
We have had this server since May last year so its not as if its like "Its a new server, it sucks, get a new one"
And if I remember correctly, it was displaying the same problems 10 months ago as it is now.

When the forums arent down, I do not notice ANY lack in speed whatsoever.
Ah, but you're living in England, connecting to an English server, no? I'm on dialup on the other side of the planet, and I am noticing that the forum loads slowly compared to other sites. In fact, I did time it earlier - three other sites averaged 2 seconds before the page started loading, whereas this forum, loaded three times, averaged about 7 seconds before it started loading.

The problem causing the downtime is beyond my control so just bite down on your lip and put up with it til its fixed
Way to pay attention there, Sir. The very existence of this thread practically screams, "We're tired of waiting, fix it." It isn't beyond your control either, because last I checked, you paid for the hosting.

Komedic Konservationist
12th March 2006, 9:40 AM
Has anyone noticed that the downtimes all occured on Saturday?
Could it be that everyone is trying to use the forums, and the servers can't cope with handling many more members than usual?
Because Saturday is the time of the week when pretty much everyone is free to go on the computer. On Sunday some people are at church, and on weekdays, everyone is at school or work.

Serebii
12th March 2006, 10:04 AM
The server is actually situated in America on the East Coast, not in England so it wouldnt make a difference with me

I apologise for the downtime yesterday, we had thought we had fixed it but its a tricky problem, chances are we're gonna have some downtime or Tuesday or Wednesday for the SAs to get to the bottom of it

And we cannot afford to get a better server thank you very much so dont keep moaning. We try our hardest to fix but considering I live in a completely different timezone to the SAs and have no Physical access to the server there is only so much I bloody can do so STOP F'ING MOANING

Shigaiko
12th March 2006, 11:04 AM
The server is actually situated in America on the East Coast, not in England so it wouldnt make a difference with me
Still, you're not too far from it. :/

And we cannot afford to get a better server thank you very much so dont keep moaning. We try our hardest to fix but considering I live in a completely different timezone to the SAs and have no Physical access to the server there is only so much I bloody can do so STOP F'ING MOANING
I'm not even close to moaning. What I was saying is that you pay for the server, you should be pushing the server owners to find the problem. Of course, when I posted I didn't know they were working on it.

Serebii
12th March 2006, 11:42 AM
What on earth do you think we're doing, and you really think I'ld just leave it to fix itself? Of course they're working on it.

Shigaiko
12th March 2006, 1:00 PM
Considering you didn't mention it once before I posted... yes.

Serebii
12th March 2006, 1:07 PM
Wouldn't think I would need to mention it, I would have thought it'ld be obvious

Eszett
12th March 2006, 8:02 PM
Just out of curiosity, would this downtime also seek to fix the hour-ahead problem that the site is currently having?

I bid you fortitude in resolving the server issue.

Serebii
12th March 2006, 8:10 PM
Possibly but really at the moment that is such a minor quibble

MidnightScott
12th March 2006, 8:21 PM
People need to stop complaining. They can only afford so much bandwidth. When there is a surplus in usage, the bandwidth gets eaten quickly, thus the server will go down until its been restored. (If I'm just making this up, ignore it, lol)

It sucks when it goes down - but it's nice to know that there are tons of people who like to post.

~Scott;229;

Akilah Imani
12th March 2006, 10:19 PM
All I have to say is I get five extra minutes to floss my teeth AND do my hair :)

Which is AWESOME!

>_>

Other than that even if the forums do go down, there's a plethora of other activities that I can occupy myself with; there are a plethora of other message boards to log on, too :/ It'll get fixed so I really don't see the problem, despite the fact that the down time can be annoying, but luckily, I always save my posts in notepad as a precaution and I have other fun things to do.

Since I wasn't here May 2005 I wouldn't know how bad things were, so I have no reason to care.

Peanut Gallery, you may now cease to nag.

Edit: To add on to what Midnight Eefi said, the forums do seem to go down at specific time. For example, for me it was down earlier in the afternoon (12:00 - 2:00) on weekends and later in the afternoon, such as 4:00 and 5:00, but that's only on weekdays. That appears to be the case for a number of members.

Edit2: Bulwarks is now one of my new favorite words :P

Psycho

Rufinito18
15th March 2006, 2:54 AM
you know? as long as they come back...its no biggie...I mean...this forum is massive...