PDA

View Full Version : Are Pokemons in Anime exaggerated in size?

Jason Park
13th February 2006, 10:57 PM
When I take a look at Pokedex, their heights are not what they seem to be in anime.

For example, Charizard's average height is 5'7". That's about a normal person's size. But they seem to be almost 7' in anime.

Another example, Blaziken's average height is 6'3", but they seems to be close to 7' as well! It's like 3 heads taller than Ash!

here, take a look: http://serebii.net/movies/deoxys/pics5.shtml

Finally, Blastoise is short! Only 5'03", but they look like they are over 7' tall as well.

here: http://serebii.net/movies/deoxys/pics11.shtml

It's huge! @.@ Unless people in Pokemon world are really small or game Pokedex does not relate to anime.

I guess big Pokemons are drawn even bigger in anime so it exaggerates their power. :)

I just thought I'd bring this up. :D

NFreak
13th February 2006, 11:02 PM
The games' pokedexes aren't completely correct. For example, it said Bannette comes from a puppet, yet it evolves from Shuppet. O_o

CyberCubed
13th February 2006, 11:14 PM
Yes they are.

Look at Drew's Roselia, it's half his size. O_o

Ethereal
13th February 2006, 11:16 PM
Pokemon are like animals, folks. The sizes CAN vary.

The Pokedex just gives averages. :/

Heracross
13th February 2006, 11:20 PM
Hell, even in the games, they've acknowledged that the size varies. >_>

Jason Park
13th February 2006, 11:42 PM
Pokemon are like animals, folks. The sizes CAN vary.

The Pokedex just gives averages. :/

Yes, but average size is way too far off. It's just not one Pokemon, pretty much all of them are bigger than what Pokedex states. We see Blastoise many times in anime. Were any of them smaller than 6'? Nope (when average is 5'03", which should be about Ash's size I assume).

But I realize that size exaggerations mostly apply to bigger Pokemons.

Kamex
14th February 2006, 12:08 AM
I see this all the time in the anime. I don't really think you can call it 'varies in size', because you'll see a certain Pokemon in the anime with a different height than in the games on many an occasion (I mean the same Pokemon). Pinsir are hecka tall in the games, but-at least Samurai's-was half his size. :/

Magus
14th February 2006, 5:08 AM
Yes they are.

Look at Drew's Roselia, it's half his size. O_o
Didn't Drew's Roselia grow massively for its latest appearance?

Chris
14th February 2006, 5:16 AM
Someone sure forgot about all the HUGE Lizardon that Satoshi's encountered in the Lizardon Valley.

ChaosMage
14th February 2006, 10:09 AM
I wonder if Ash's Heracross has "the ultimate horn..."

Yes, the anime exaggerates. I'm sure Glalie was constantly changing in size.

MaskedManAbsolkid
14th February 2006, 3:51 PM
I think Ash's Swellow changed in size too, his pidgeotto may have too.

ChaosMage
14th February 2006, 4:27 PM
They seem to like altering the gang's pokemon to be more or less the same size, but it isn't always accurate.

Jesse GS the II
14th February 2006, 4:58 PM
I seem to recall Lizardon being much larger in its battle with Ptera than it was in all its subsequent episodes.

But then again, it's just a show, I should really just relax.

ZoraJolteon
14th February 2006, 5:04 PM
It works both ways. Greta's Hariyama was tiny.

ChaosMage
14th February 2006, 5:15 PM
Brawley's Whoryama was also pretty short (it's meant to be about 7 foot!)

ZoraJolteon
14th February 2006, 5:16 PM
7'7", to be precise.

RaikouSpecialLover
14th February 2006, 10:38 PM
I found another one, yet this may question Trainer's heights.
Bayleef is 3'11'' and that is roughly the same size as Ash! So if Bayleef oversized, or is Ash really short?

Jason Park
14th February 2006, 11:11 PM
Bayleef is 3'11'' and that is roughly the same size as Ash! So if Bayleef oversized, or is Ash really short?
That's a good point. Ash is kind of short, but I don't think he's 4' tall. >.<

Kamex
15th February 2006, 12:48 AM
I think Ash's Swellow changed in size too, his pidgeotto may have too.
Yes, Pidgeotto is a great example of changing sizes throughout the anime. It started off barely any bigger than a Pidgey, and ended up half Ash's height. XD

Roughly the same size as Ash? 3'11 is a dangerously short interpretation of his height, IMO! O_o;

Jesse GS the II
15th February 2006, 3:16 AM
I'm guessing that Satoshi is about five feet tall. The average Pijotto is 4'11", and Satoshi's came up to about the top of his head (for the brief time in which he owned it).

ハルカ and ゴンベ
15th February 2006, 3:27 AM
I'm guessing that Satoshi is somewhere in between 4'11" and 5' 3"
How old is He 14? 15?

Jason Park
15th February 2006, 3:42 AM
I think he barely grew since the 1st episode and several years have passed since then... -.-;; I'm guessing he is about 5' tall.

Chris
15th February 2006, 5:36 AM
I think he barely grew since the 1st episode and several years have passed since then... -.-;; I'm guessing he is about 5' tall.
False. He's actually grown in size. Compare his height with Kasumi at the very begining to much later on.

Lord wackruntlje
15th February 2006, 6:09 AM
Also, Azurill and Natu is only 0´08 in the games, so small that you could squish them under your foot. Yet Misty's Azurill is as big as it's owners head!

Torkoal Stu
15th February 2006, 6:23 AM
Yes almost every Pokemon has been changed size in one way or another, like Wishcash are tiny and on the first episode they are except the huge one but after that all Wishcash's are normal, you know >_>;;

As well as Swellow (+ plus other birds) and Roseila are the major ones I notice.

Magus
15th February 2006, 9:03 AM
Here's (http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/7575/articunonoland5mg.jpg) another example (from Battle Frontier, so I'll put it in spoilers):

Aricuno in the games has a height of 5'7". In the anime, this one (which is much smaller than the one in the 2nd movie) is a full head taller than Noland. Who's probably over 6 feet tall himself, given how he towers over Ash. This Articuno might be 7 feet tall, and I wouldn't be surprised if the one in the movie was over 20 feet tall.

ChaosMage
15th February 2006, 11:05 AM
The legendaries are wierd. They are usually under 7' in the games but are huge in the anime.

Kamex
16th February 2006, 12:29 AM
False. He's actually grown in size. Compare his height with Kasumi at the very begining to much later on.
Do you think the writers or animators really had that in mind, though? I mean, trying to make him look like he's growing?

Jason Park
16th February 2006, 1:25 AM
Do you think the writers or animators really had that in mind, though? I mean, trying to make him look like he's growing?
That's my question. Sometimes Ash is as almost as tall as Misty, but then a few scenes later he shrinks. -.-;;

Poké_Master
16th February 2006, 1:47 AM
I don't think the Games Pokédex applies in the Anime.

O Fortuna
16th February 2006, 9:19 AM
Come on people. Games =/= anime.

The sizes given for the game are fine given that they are just for the game. Using those same measurements in the anime doesn't work as well. I mean, it would look rather ridiculous for a 1'04" Bellossom to take on a 28'10" Onix in the show yet we all know that Bellossom would tear the Onix to pieces. Remember that the same mechanics in the game do not and CAN not always apply to the anime.

Neopolis
16th February 2006, 9:27 AM
Also, Azurill and Natu is only 0´08 in the games, so small that you could squish them under your foot. Yet Misty's Azurill is as big as it's owners head!
0'08? O_o Isn't that under 3 cm?

Addydo
16th February 2006, 9:55 AM
Another one would be that Sneasel from that AG episode with Mr. Mime.
That Sneasel was huge, compared to the one Harrison caught! O.O
Harrison's was the NORMAL size!

ReallyOcean
16th February 2006, 11:56 PM
Size can vary, yes.

I'm not sure if this was already posted, but you're also forgetting that Ash and them are just kids. They aren't going to be a full grown 5'11" or something. They're not that old.

Puffs
17th February 2006, 1:09 AM
Legendaries are weird, Groudon and Kyogre were huge if you check their pokedex size. Why is Deoxys just about 7 feet tall?

Drew's Roselia is gigantic, yes. Also, that Wailord in the Slateport episode was a bit small.

Geki
21st February 2006, 2:17 AM
The anime changes over time with sizes, and even animation sometimes. They get better with every episode basically, thus they improve every episode. And they also take turns between animation teams and stuff.

Tendo128
21st February 2006, 2:29 AM
I think it's more an issue of the game's pokedex info being nonsensical. I name multiple examples of this, not the least of which is the notion of a Pokemon as huge as Wailord weighing barely 800 pounds.

And, of course, sizes will always vary quite a bit, as we've seen in Ash's Noctowl.

Magus
21st February 2006, 9:07 AM
Drew's Roselia is gigantic, yes.
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4195/drewroselia8pd.jpg (http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4195/drewroselia8pd.jpg)

Satoshi
22nd February 2006, 3:42 AM
Does anyone remember that oversized Kairyuu that appeared in "Mystery of the Light House"? Now THAT was exaggerated in size.

Kabuto
22nd February 2006, 5:29 AM
Wow. The flower has bloomed alright.

Does anyone remember that oversized Kairyuu that appeared in "Mystery of the Light House"? Now THAT was exaggerated in size.

Yeah of course. That Tentacruel also from that Kanto episode where it destroyed some of the city.

Puffs
23rd February 2006, 5:38 AM
of course, Ash's Noctowl, Bill's Dragonite friend, and that evil Tentacruel were acknowledged to be weird with their size, most other pokemon the writers will assume we take it to be normal.

Ash's Noctowl is small so he can't fly on it :P