PDA

View Full Version : Reasoning for Closure

Infinity
15th February 2006, 11:03 AM
I know some mods do this and some don't, but I personally find it annoying if there isn't a reason stated for closing some threads.

I have noticed that many threads have been getting closed recently without a reason behind it.

This is very poor practice and it doesn't show professionalism. I have asked myself dozens of times, "Why did this thread get closed?" when there is no clear reason why a thread got closed.

If I recall correctly I remember Edward Elric mentioning that it is a rule that there must be a reason giving for closing a thread.

It takes five seconds to type up a reason why a thread was closed.

I ask of you mods and admins not to just click the lock button, but to explain why because that will perhaps help the users to realize why a thread like that is not permitted or the thread got too spammy.

If you want to keep as many members as possible here I advise you to follow this practice.

Ethereal
15th February 2006, 11:06 AM
Mmm....We don't HAVE TO tell why a thread was closed all the time. If a thread is just obvious stupid SPAM, we don't need to give reasons. Other times, we may be in a rush, and don't have enough time to type up some reason. :/

Infinity
15th February 2006, 11:10 AM
Mmm....We don't HAVE TO tell why a thread was closed all the time. If a thread is just obvious stupid SPAM, we don't need to give reasons. Other times, we may be in a rush, and don't have enough time to type up some reason. :/
It may be obvious to you, but to the user who's having their thread closed it may not be so obvious. You don't have to, but it is a natural courtesy to do so.

I can understand the rushing part though. I just ask that the mod or admin leaves a reason why that was closed later.

Serebii
15th February 2006, 11:10 AM
Yes...you do have to

Ethereal
15th February 2006, 11:20 AM
OK...so...if a thread consists nothing more of "i like pokemon", then we have to give a reason?

Also, Celeby Joe, I was told by staff member(s) that we don't ALWAYS have to give reasons, but should try as often as possible.

Besides, it ain't like EVERY staff member (read: all) gives reasons for closing threads ALL the time.

TRJessie579
15th February 2006, 6:01 PM
Once a question's been answered, I will close the thread, and I won't always put an "Answered, closed" message, because if I did I'd be bumping five closed threads to the top of the forum every time I came on. >>;;

But if I must, I will.

Angeling
15th February 2006, 6:31 PM
Umm, I may not be a staff member closing threads, but sometimes I can see the reason myself. Maybe I don't go visiting every section of the board like crazy, but those I've seen, there was a given reason...

Like pika2000 when she closes one in the SPPf Help & Newbie Lounge, PsiUmbreon in clubs and games, or Edward Elric around the forums. And Shining Mew..

But I guess it's been said already.. that you have to and stuff. Even if it's mandatory, they still do for threads that are umm, say.. insulting a moderator? Or just plain spammy?

Or is this about the new announcement..?
*runs from mods*

Infinity
15th February 2006, 8:25 PM
Umm, I may not be a staff member closing threads, but sometimes I can see the reason myself. Maybe I don't go visiting every section of the board like crazy, but those I've seen, there was a given reason...

Like pika2000 when she closes one in the SPPf Help & Newbie Lounge, PsiUmbreon in clubs and games, or Edward Elric around the forums. And Shining Mew..

But I guess it's been said already.. that you have to and stuff. Even if it's mandatory, they still do for threads that are umm, say.. insulting a moderator? Or just plain spammy?

Or is this about the new announcement..?
*runs from mods*
Again something obvious to us may not be so obvious to others. Some people do not naturally think of PMing a mod when there is a dispute nor do some people think typing "I like pokémon" is SPAM. In my opinion there is always room for rebuke, otherwise there may be even more problems. Closing without telling people why may not register well in their minds. That in turn could cause people to lash out at Serebii.

There are mods who do it and some mods who don't, I am just trying to raise attention and to prevent confusion.

Eszett
15th February 2006, 9:06 PM
While I would like to see a reasoning for why threads are locked, the mods nearly always follow up with a post explaining why a thread was locked. Honestly, I've always seen a rationale for why a thread was closed, and where I haven't it's glaringly obvious why that thread was locked or the mods are tired of stating the same thing over and over and over again. Take, for instance, the several Manaphy threads in the D/P forums and other forums.

It only takes an ounce of astuteness to derive a rationale for an unexplained locking.

Swampy
15th February 2006, 10:49 PM
Even if we don't put up a reason, it could be that we were rushing the job. This isn't implying we go around closing random threads without reading them first however. But really, we shouldn't be babying you with reasons all the time. If you don't see a reason, figure it out until we give you a reason.
Agreed. If your too hard headed to understand that a thread about you liking pokemon posted in the clubs forum is SPAM, then, I find the mods don't have to give a reason. Most mods do; as far as I see.

Kijuna
16th February 2006, 12:05 AM
Also bad is closing for the reason that the mod didn't like the thread, as was the case with my topic on the O RLY owl dying.

MondoTR
16th February 2006, 12:09 AM
It's not that he disliked it, it's that it was kinda pointless.

Wolf Goddess
16th February 2006, 12:10 AM
Also bad is closing for the reason that the mod didn't like the thread, as was the case with my topic on the O RLY owl dying.

That was closed because the thing died over a year ago, not to mention there'd really be nothing for us to discuss, aside from "R.I.P. Owl".

Seriously, if you think a thread should have remained open, just PM one of the mods online and POLITELY ask why it was closed. SIMPLE.

Ethereal
16th February 2006, 12:14 AM
Whoa, freaky. I'm watching "Attack of the Show" right now, and they just talked about that dumb owl. The story of it dying was a hoax. They just proved it. There's another reason for closing the thread. :)

That's just creepy as hell that they just showed that right as I was looking over your thread. @_@

As for what that had to do with THIS topic, I'll be damned if I know. *shrug*

But, yeah. We don't ALWAYS need reasons for closing thread. As stated, the Manaphy fiascos are prime reasons.

PLANES CURE TOWERS
16th February 2006, 12:25 AM
You'd rather get bollocks from your fellow mods and members for not explaining a closure?

okay then.

-Josh

Ethereal
16th February 2006, 12:30 AM
Except every single staff member has done it. Not sure about Joe, but I know that every member has done it. As I said, certain staff members told me that it was okay to do that sometimes. :/

Fatal
16th February 2006, 12:51 AM
I don't see very many threads being closed without reason. Maybe every once in a while, but not that often.

But obviously if they are extremely stupid, SPAMmy threads, then people can clearly see why they were closed. And if the thread's creator can't understand that, then he/she is an idiot. :/

-Fatal

Zapdos
16th February 2006, 1:37 AM
I know some mods do this and some don't, but I personally find it annoying if there isn't a reason stated for closing some threads.

I have noticed that many threads have been getting closed recently without a reason behind it.

This is very poor practice and it doesn't show professionalism. I have asked myself dozens of times, "Why did this thread get closed?" when there is no clear reason why a thread got closed.

If I recall correctly I remember Edward Elric mentioning that it is a rule that there must be a reason giving for closing a thread.

It takes five seconds to type up a reason why a thread was closed.

I ask of you mods and admins not to just click the lock button, but to explain why because that will perhaps help the users to realize why a thread like that is not permitted or the thread got too spammy.

If you want to keep as many members as possible here I advise you to follow this practice.
I agree with Infinity, but I only saw a closed thread without a reason only one or two times. I think a lot of the Mods are doing their job well ;)

Infinity
16th February 2006, 5:44 AM
Well how about this alternative when mods close something? They could instead of bumping that thread, edit the first or last post and state why the thread needed to be closed. Then there would be no bumping the thread.

nakuru
16th February 2006, 6:59 AM
i was hoping this would be a thread implying that the main site may be shut down. thanks alot jerkbags.

anyways, i don't care about threads being closed without reason. the mods are too good to do it afterall. :rolleyes:

-:Buro-kun Tsubasa:-
16th February 2006, 7:46 AM
Even though I agree with having to give a reason, as Serebii said, you have to, so whats the point in this thread now? Never mind, anyways, some threads are locked because the member asks it to be closed, or the question could be answered, it its just clearly spam. Hold on...

I'm closing this thread because its spam. (Not really.)

Thats took way more than 5 seconds. :/
Nakuru, why would you want the site shut down?

Chris
16th February 2006, 8:56 AM
I don't remember ever saying it was a rule. o_O; Unless I did say it and just can't remember. I do know that it's usually a must if the reasoning isn't so blatantly obvious.

Usually I'll close a thread with my own comments and end it there. Sometimes, threads don't even need explanations. Such as those asking for episodes. You SHOULD know that it's not allowed since you agreed to follow the rules of this forum when you joined, therefor, we do not need to tell you this if it's in the rules and others have already posted ahead saying it's not allowed.

Guitar dude bill
16th February 2006, 10:51 AM
I agree with this. It is so annoying when a mod closes for no reason. It needs to stop now. Mods should ALWAYS give a reason fore closing the thread. I've seen this happening a lot, even to those who do obey rules.

Jetx
16th February 2006, 12:25 PM
It can be annoying. I've seen a number of thread's which don't brake a rule in a clear way, but mods close them, leaving us all to wonder... Most ones closed without a reason are obvious, but some aren't.

Kirby
16th February 2006, 2:58 PM
I agree with this. It is so annoying when a mod closes for no reason. It needs to stop now. Mods should ALWAYS give a reason fore closing the thread. I've seen this happening a lot, even to those who do obey rules.

So if someone starts a thread asking for pokemon episode downloads, and it gets closed, you WANT the mod to give a reason when it's fairly obvious why it got closed?

Okay then.

Magma Leader Maxie
16th February 2006, 3:58 PM
Well, I think that reading the main forum rules gives you an image of what's allowed and what's not. And most illegal/unneeded threads that are exceptions of this are posted in explained why they have to be closed

I've never been in the situation where I'm puzzled as to why a thread has been closed. Of course, unless it only happens where I don't happen to visit (eg. anime & manga sections).

I mean, it's not really hard to see why moderators don't respond to some threads. I mean, take a look at this (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=101784) thread and give your best at spotting "mysteriously-motivated-closure". Yeah, this really was posted in Programming Help!

Guitar dude bill
16th February 2006, 4:38 PM
Well.

Maybe if the reason is very obvious, and people have already pointed it out in the thread. Than maybe so. But if the reason is NOT very obvious, and/or no one else has pointed it out, DO give a reason.

Latios. Fine, we'll never PM/IM/E-mail you if it was probably an accident. Should they just re-post the thread?

EDIT: DO close threads like that one MLM pointed out. That guy was probably a troll. If it's a trolly spam than give no reason.

Chris
16th February 2006, 8:20 PM
Latios. Fine, we'll never PM/IM/E-mail you if it was probably an accident. Should they just re-post the thread?
No. If it's closed, then it's closed for a reason. That doesn't give you the right to remake it unless it's because a certain topic has gotten too long and is to be restarted.

Akilah Imani
16th February 2006, 8:25 PM
Namely?

You guys have yet to post a link to one of these 'un-reasonably' and 'unjustifiably' and 'not-closed-for-an obvious-reason' closed threads :/ You could have at least started out by first giving an example, maybe then things could have better been explained and this could have been sorted out. [/smartness]

For there to be so many I'm sure that there are a plethora of examples that will be posted showing just how unfair these closings are -_-;;

Psycho

Jetx
16th February 2006, 8:36 PM
Okay, if you want it that way, I'll hunt some down.

I didn't see a reason for this one:
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=101300
Or this: (one post was 29 days from the other, but that isn't a month. <_<)
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=101566

Chris
16th February 2006, 8:56 PM

I didn't touch either but I'll tell you why. The first one has absolutely no discussion about it. Simply asks if one has a girlfriend or not. Everyone's generic answers are either yes or no. Then you have the fact that it's restricted to either just males or the bisexual or lesbian girls on the forum.

Second one is because it IS a month old. January 5th to February 5th = One month. It was closed for being brought back from the dead. ;\ In case you weren't aware, not all months have the same amount of days (February has 28 rather than 30 or 31). It's counted as a month since the last post, therefore it IS breaking the rules.

MondoTR
16th February 2006, 8:56 PM
Both were bumped.

Orion-Sama
16th February 2006, 8:57 PM

Necromanced. The last post before February 14th was in January 7th...

It is still a month in the most estrict of cases. You should also consider the possibility that the deadline Mods consider as a "Month" is the one of the shortest month: 28 days. Plus, whether it's not EXACTLY a month in the media (Which would be 30 days.), a Thread without posts for more than 20 days seems longeve and irrelevant for the given date...

As for the topic in hand... meh. Stuff that's closed without explanation can be easily figured out for the most part. I've yet to see a Thread that was closed without a reason and didn't have a glaringly obvious reason for such action...

The Mods have said it all. FEW situations merit an explanation, even...

Akilah Imani
16th February 2006, 9:00 PM
And there you have it, rules 5, 9, and 10.

Wow! What illogical reasoning!

Such unfair unfairness -_-

Try giving some more examples, there's bound to be one in the many that you stated :)

Psycho

Chris
16th February 2006, 9:01 PM
Here's how I look at it when judging if a topic has gone past the monthly time. Let's use January 14, for example. If no one's post after that, and you post during or past the 14th in any other months, it's considered as being a dead topic being revived.

Jetx
16th February 2006, 9:35 PM
I suppose I overreacted, but who exactly goes "Ooh, I wonder why this was closed, let's look through 100 posts and see!" unless they were trying to prove a point, like you just were. Oh well, I'm not exactly on any side of the argument here, and I don't think I'll post in this thread again.
Unless i find a proper one...

Chris
16th February 2006, 9:41 PM
When you join the forums, you agree to the terms that are known as the rules of the place. Should you choose not to follow them, punishment comes around.

No mod closes threads for the hell of it (maybe Joe, he tends to delete topics he refuses to touch >_>). They generally have a reason. As I mentioned before, a reason isn't always needed. If it's blatantly obvious, then you don't need to make topics asking why a certain topic was closed.

Swampy
16th February 2006, 9:46 PM
When you join the forums, you agree to the terms that are known as the rules of the place. Should you choose not to follow them, punishment comes around.

No mod closes threads for the hell of it (maybe Joe, he tends to delete topics he refuses to touch >_>). They generally have a reason. As I mentioned before, a reason isn't always needed. If it's blatantly obvious, then you don't need to make topics asking why a certain topic was closed.
Agreed, so can we just close this thread because it is the end of the discussion. *sheesh* Give it a rest people.

Infinity
16th February 2006, 11:13 PM
If you want me to name threads I will, but not in public. I'll just say even some threads even within this particular forum are closed without a proper explination. If you are observant you'll know which ones I am talking about.

I am not asking why a particular thread was closed perse, I am trying to get some of the mods to realize that explinations are needed. The Head Honcho said so himself. Like I said eariler you can quickly edit a first or last post of the thread and state why it is closed. As I also stated eariler everything isn't blatantly obvious to everyone. This could prevent more problems.

Chris
17th February 2006, 9:12 AM
Since we're already discussing it here, you might as well just provide the links here rather than make a commotion about it and then say you wanna take it privately. ;\

Ironically
26th February 2006, 2:20 AM
Sorry dear, but I've moderated more forums than you have, and it's pretty stupid to close a thread due to SPAM. You're supposed to try to resolve it first, delete any unnecessary posts and THEN close it, if nothing is done even after you've tried everything.

Who taught you guys, anyway? If anyone?

TRJessie579
26th February 2006, 2:36 AM
I think you're missing Eternal's point.

He said if the THREAD is spam. Not "one/a few post/s in the thread."

If someone makes a thread called "i liek pikachoo" and inside is 25 Pikachu smilies, and it's in the Diamond/Pearl section, there's nothing to "resolve." It's spam, and will be closed.

Please don't talk down to us unless you read the posts you're quoting more carefully, okay? :)

Kiori
26th February 2006, 2:38 AM
Sorry dear, but I've moderated more forums than you have, and it's pretty stupid to close a thread due to SPAM. You're supposed to try to resolve it first, delete any unnecessary posts and THEN close it, if nothing is done even after you've tried everything.

Who taught you guys, anyway? If anyone?

Do we need to tell you that? No. It's common sense. Do some of us see a point when the thread is posted with a BUNCH of SPAMs that you can even call a SPAM hole and expect us to clean it up every single time? No. We close it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it prevents you from opening a new one about that same topic and preventing a "deja vu" all over again. If it just a one/couple/few, then sure we're just going to delete it, but if it's a mass of SPAMs, then it is left with the staff that's looking at it to decide.

MidnightScott
26th February 2006, 3:05 AM
Just get off your butts and put why it's closed so everyone will stop whining about it.

~Scott;229;

SlimShady
26th February 2006, 3:14 AM
May I add, I have seen threads closed for no reason, and they aren't SPAM. That is beacuase they were over a month old. I look through old threads and if today is February 25 and the last psot was in December, I can easily tell that a mod was also going through old threads and closed an old thread, before some idiot bumps it.

Phaarix
26th February 2006, 10:45 AM
There's a fine line between a thread closure that needs an explanation and one that doesn't. The way I see it is that if there is even a slight chance someone involved in that thread would not know why it was closed, then a reason should be stated. I'm not counting those people that haven't read the rules however. If it's in the rules and simple enough for most people to understand, then I see no reason an explanation should have to be given. It's up to the member to read the rules, not for the mods to read the rules out to them.

Fox
27th February 2006, 5:53 PM
I clearly remember a time when the staff of SPPf were being criticized for closing threads and posting stuff like:

Question answered, thread closed
People were calling that spam and an excuse for us to get post count ~.~ In fact, people used that against us in arguments to say "Why can't we say 'someone should close this'" and stuff like that. Anyway, I feel that threads aren't always needing an explanation for closure. Cases include, but are not limited to when a thread is bumped, and requests by original poster.

Phaarix
27th February 2006, 11:33 PM
People were calling that spam and an excuse for us to get post count ~.~

*sigh* Can't please everyone. And you're right, I'm sure the mod can decide well enough whether or not an explanation is needed. I don't agree with mods giving no explanation simply because they can't be bothered though.

Chris
27th February 2006, 11:59 PM
There's a thing called "rules." It shouldn't be too hard to figure out why some threads are closed. A majority of said threads break said rules. ;\

Wolf Goddess
28th February 2006, 12:03 AM
That's something I've always tried to avoid doing. I close quite a few threads without posting because I feel like just posting "Bumped. Gesperrt." is pure SPAM. Obviously, if the reason for closing is a little more complicated, then I post, but otherwise...

Alfonso
28th February 2006, 12:13 AM
May I add, I have seen threads closed for no reason, and they aren't SPAM. That is beacuase they were over a month old. I look through old threads and if today is February 25 and the last psot was in December, I can easily tell that a mod was also going through old threads and closed an old thread, before some idiot bumps it.

If a thread is closed, it's closed for a reason. I doubt Fox, Ed, Eternal or any of the other Mods go around closing threads just for a bit of fun or because they 'feel like it'. If you seriously believe that, I'm worried.

SlimShady
28th February 2006, 2:22 AM
If a thread is closed, it's closed for a reason. I doubt Fox, Ed, Eternal or any of the other Mods go around closing threads just for a bit of fun or because they 'feel like it'. If you seriously believe that, I'm worried.
That is what I meant. I was saying that threads can be closed for no reason simply because they are over 30 days old. Make sense, does it not?

TRJessie579
28th February 2006, 2:39 AM
They're saying it's NOT a problem, that that's a situation where it may appear there's no reason a thread is closed, but it's over 30 days old.

For the record, I did read Corona Infinity's first post up there a few times before I realized what they meant.

MondoTR
28th February 2006, 12:13 PM
I was saying that threads can be closed for no reason simply because they are over 30 days old.
Are you referring to the ones that are that old that haven't been bumped? If so, Umb and I (and anyone else that does it that I don't know does it) close them to prevent bumping.

SlimShady
1st March 2006, 3:36 AM
Are you referring to the ones that are that old that haven't been bumped? If so, Umb and I (and anyone else that does it that I don't know does it) close them to prevent bumping.
That is what I said.

I can easily tell that a mod was also going through old threads and closed an old thread, before some idiot bumps it.