PDA

View Full Version : Which Starter should i use.

wupun
15th February 2006, 4:02 PM
I'm going to start a new game on silver but i can't decide on which starter i am going to use. I like totodile because he is really cool, cyndaquil has the highest stats and a good move pool and I've never used Chikorita before in my game.
Which one do you think i should use. Plz help.

typhlo
15th February 2006, 4:04 PM
well if you think starter pokemon have difficultys cyndaquil is easy,totadile is normal and chickorita is hard

muckers
15th February 2006, 4:44 PM
Totodile, purely because Feraligatr is a beast of a Pokemon. Typhlosion is ok, but he doesn't appear to learn any good moves.

Chikorita's not that great - good for the first hour of the game, but after that not too good at all.

Dragon trainer
15th February 2006, 5:40 PM
Ttpholosion is a good pokemon to use, and i relay onit and it does have a good but limeted movepool.

Ferligator has good stats and a slightly better movepool

Meganium isnt without its charms but needs breeding to have any good chance of living but on plus side is a great staller/annoyer with good defenes.

i would say chose cyndaquil since im biased but if you have another game, why not trade ten breed so you have all starters.

Clockwork Ninja
15th February 2006, 5:50 PM
Totodile, because it can learn good moves.

TheMusicMan
15th February 2006, 6:52 PM
Meganium is not that bad at all in-game... I'd say use that if you've never used it before. It's pretty decent, and it can be fun to use.

Psychic
17th February 2006, 10:37 PM
Meh, I never liked Chikorita- it seems a bit weak, and I don't think it has great stats, though it has a decent movepool.

I like Typhlosian the most, but it's really limited to only Fire attacks and a few others, so it isn't the best.

I suggest Totodile, actually. It has good moves and can learn some good TMs like Blizzard and Earthquake (great for if you encounter an Electric type). Totodile's also my lucky Johto starter- I got a Shiny one as my starter.
Go with the 'Dile.

~Psychic

Moonlight.
18th February 2006, 2:47 PM
Well, if give a **** about how they are against the first gym, use Totodile, cause Cyndaquil will get killed by Mud Slap and Chikorita will get killed by Gust.

If you don't care, either use your favourite, or use one that will go well with the rest of your team. Plan ahead. Can't think of a good water type? Get Totodile. Already have a water and fire type? Get Chikorita.

Personally, I find Cyndaquil and Chikorita to be most useful throughout the game.

Shichiro
18th February 2006, 3:10 PM
I've finished the game succesfully with both Totodile and Cyndaquil, and I wouldn't recommend Chikorita. Totodile can learn some good moves as can Cyndaquil, and the game is rather easy to complete with them as your starter. IMO, go with one of the two, whichever one you prefer.

If you want a bigger challenge, go with Chikorita. Don't expect to be doing anything less than ripping your hair out with those first couple gyms though.

blaze boy
18th February 2006, 4:39 PM
Why not choose all by the in game trade cheat.

Shichiro
18th February 2006, 4:48 PM
Why not choose all by the in game trade cheat.
..Because maybe he isnt able to trade?

muckers
18th February 2006, 5:23 PM
The in-game one, Shichiro. ^_^

It's a variant of the duplication cheat, that allows you to get all three starters. But duplication may mess up your save, so it may not be worth it in the long run.

But here it is - just before you get your starter, save outside Elm's lab. Get one of the starters and play up the the bit where you name your rival and an Aide gives you Pokeballs, all the while not saving. Catch a Pokemon and do the duplication trick on your starter.

After reset, you should be outside Elm's lab, able to choose a starter again. Choose a different starter this time, and do the same as before. Then choose the last starter and when you go to the nearest Pokemon centre, the other two starters should be in the PC.

^.^

typhlo
18th February 2006, 5:24 PM
definetly cindaquil hes rad

Shichiro
18th February 2006, 6:38 PM
The in-game one, Shichiro. ^_^

It's a variant of the duplication cheat, that allows you to get all three starters. But duplication may mess up your save, so it may not be worth it in the long run.

But here it is - just before you get your starter, save outside Elm's lab. Get one of the starters and play up the the bit where you name your rival and an Aide gives you Pokeballs, all the while not saving. Catch a Pokemon and do the duplication trick on your starter.

After reset, you should be outside Elm's lab, able to choose a starter again. Choose a different starter this time, and do the same as before. Then choose the last starter and when you go to the nearest Pokemon centre, the other two starters should be in the PC.

^.^
Ohhh lol

Sorry for the misunderstanding, and thanks for clearing that up.

Kthleen
18th February 2006, 9:00 PM
If you want a bigger challenge, go with Chikorita. Don't expect to be doing anything less than ripping your hair out with those first couple gyms though.Because, you know, it's not like there are any other Pokémon (like Geodude, Onix, Spearow, Gastly, Mareep, Wooper, Spinarak, Ekans, Tentacool, and Weedle->Beedrill) you can catch and use against them!

I'd say start with Chikorita so you can have the experience of having trained all of them.

da blaziken masta
7th March 2006, 1:03 PM
U should use cyndaquil because of its stats and that it can take alot of attacks before fainting.

Phreack
7th March 2006, 5:05 PM
I recommend you do the three starters trick or if you don't want to do it, you should choose one a friend of you didn't take to fill the 'dex because in the long run you'll catch better pokemon. But if you don't like any of this I suggest cyndaquil because there aren't many fire types you can catch at the start.

AJ Flibble
7th March 2006, 5:30 PM
Depends what you want. Choosing Cynadquil and then training a full team is actually quite hard since my Quilavas never evolve until before the Elite Four.

If you get Totodile, it's pretty easy, and evolves into Feraligatr earlier.

Chikorita should be bred, so get a female if possible, and Body Slam is great! However, you should catch a Geodude to help you in the first few gyms. Meganium's also great for passing screens.

TheMusicMan
7th March 2006, 6:45 PM
Way to bump a thread that's more than two weeks old, blaziken masta.

legendkillerRKOtrainer
7th March 2006, 7:53 PM
i'll say Chikorita as it can learn great moves like razor leaf early and it will give you a chance to experience all the starter and if you have used the other starters and found it easy go with chikorita for a challenge

Rabóckži
7th March 2006, 8:02 PM
If you want to defeat all the whole game with a single Poké (of course catching another for HMs), Totodile or Cyndaquil

If you want a challenge at the beginning go for Chikorita

If you want to have a new member in your team, choose the one with resistances you don't have

SuperShadow
8th March 2006, 3:38 AM
My vote is cyndaquil, but if you want an anoying challenge go for chickorita.

Overwhelming_Latias
8th March 2006, 1:43 PM
If you evaluate a Pokemon's strengths and weaknesses, then it becomes clearer who to choose.

Typhlosion: has excellent Speed and Sp.Atk, and can learn Thunderpunch to deal with Water-types (and can use it well enough). Can't really take a good Rock/Ground hit though.

Feraligatr: a shame I think. 'Gatr has excellent Atk, but it's Sp.Atk is low, and the majority of powerful moves in it's repertoire are special based (Hydro Pump, Crunch, Blizzard...). Again, it learns attacks to cover it's weaknesses (EQ and ice-based attacks), but I find moves like EQ and Rock Slide are more viable options than Blizzard/Ice Beam/Ice Punch.

Meganium: great defences, but I think it was shafted a little (should've been given Stun Spore or Sleep Powder). I've just restarted my Gold for this, so i can't give much of an opinion I'm afraid.

I think the game is rather easy playing as Cyndaquil, and Typhlosion does make an excellent addition to any squad. I'd probably go with him. Chikorita is well worth picking for a good challenge. Totodile... meh. The go-between really.

It's your choice though at the end of the day. :)

samuelrz
8th March 2006, 2:17 PM
There is no good or bad choise. But I chose Cyndequil (now a Typhlosion lv. 85) and I love my choice!

Raichu-chan
8th March 2006, 2:50 PM
I've used all of the starters before and I found that Cyndaquil was the easiest to use. It's a good Pokemon, so I would go with that.

ポケSTAR
9th March 2006, 6:07 PM
I've chosen Totodile in every 2nd generation Game. I never loosed a Battle with it ;160;

Unknown91892
18th March 2006, 7:53 AM
cyndaquil, it is absolutely the best of all three well at least that what i think.
it got very good stat and when it reach it last evolution it look very cool.

pikachu_rocks19
19th March 2006, 5:55 AM
choose the pokemon you rarely choose when you start a new game I always use cyndaquil because hes a fire type and thyplosion can really pack a punch

Vaporeon
19th March 2006, 9:11 AM
Totodile. It's so cute, and cuddly. (well, that's only if you like cuddly pokemon, let alone, a crocodile).

Maybe you should go with Chikorita, if you've never tried. It'll be a good experience to try new things, ya know.

Serebii93
19th March 2006, 8:58 PM
If I were the poor kid, I'd start with a Cyndaquil. He does superb all the way through the game.

The Organizer
21st March 2006, 1:25 AM
Totodile, from my obervations its the easyest and the best of all the starters

(basiclly in all games the water starter is the best and easyest)

Shiny Heracross
21st March 2006, 2:32 AM
I don't know why, but I've always used Chikorita on Silver. I always thought it was okay to use, not too easy or hard.

Kasaioni
21st March 2006, 12:58 PM
I always use the fire starters so I picked Cyndaquil.

XxGreivousxX
21st March 2006, 1:57 PM
Typhlosion: Maybe. Earthquake and Flamethrower, then maybe toxic. This guy is great, but not the best. I would recommend this, its only weak against the last gym in Johto. But then in Kanto you might be forced to 00ber >>

Meganium: This wasn't challenging for me at all. I had a bayleef by falkner, Bugsy I used bidgeotto. Then Miltank was preety easy. I had body slam, by Ercutak. I used Razor Leafs on that morty *******. Chuck...too easy. Jasmine, actally I killed wih my sudowoodo lv 34/35 Had 1hp left. Chuck...well never mind. Just with this you better have other pokemon besides this.

Feraligatr: Best. Starter. Ever.

Shiney_Hunter_Tauros_Rule
21st March 2006, 8:16 PM
I have used all the starters and here is my evaluations:
Chikorita: Slow. Poor attack. Ok special attack. Good Defence+Special Defence. it doesnt have a good movepool and its best moves are through breeding and TM's
Cyndaquil:Fast. Good Attack/special attack. Ok defences. Learns better moves than Chikorita. Wide variety of TM's
Totadile:Medium speed. Good Attack. Ok defences and Specials. Learns good moves

I would personally choose Totadile but it is your choice.

Bonsly is pimp
23rd March 2006, 10:53 PM
Totodile because Feraligatr is awesome it has good stats, great movepool, and it looks awesome

Mawile XD
23rd March 2006, 11:05 PM
I'd pick Cyndaquil, because it can learn Thunderpunch, and against water-types, this is good, because it usaully attacks first due to it's high speed. It's an easy way to beat water-types quickly.

P.S. Bonsly is pimp: Your sig looks overly stacked. Delete a few trainer cards. Two is the limit.

[Kingdra]
24th March 2006, 4:58 PM
Totodile is a good one I luv it

Aptenodytes
25th March 2006, 11:03 PM
Go with Totodile. It was my first starter on my gold, and it totally ruled.