PDA

View Full Version : Teams

icemew
15th February 2006, 9:09 PM
I'm writing an original trainer fic and I'd like to include Team Magma, but I don't want it to be unoriginal or cliché or stuff like that. I'm not following the game's plot, but I want to use the game's setting, sort of. Any advice?

Tale
15th February 2006, 10:13 PM
What I'd like to say to you is not to worry about whats cliche and what isnt.

If theres one thing I've learned through writing fics, its to write what ever you want to write, and dont write around popularity. If your writing style is good and original, there is no reason for people to dislike your story, even if it does include cliche aspects, becasue no story can be identical to another unless, of course, its intentional.

If you want to write the story with Team Magma, then go ahead and write it. What it all ultimately depends on in how you write it, be it through skill, plot, portrayal, whatever.

However, if you are perfectly comfortable with writing about another team, and you'd rather do that then write about Team Magma, then I'd suggest creating your own. Perahaps even make a spin-off from Team Magma.

I'll follow this thread and help you more if need be.

Nylf
15th February 2006, 10:42 PM
Non worries. It can be cliche to use Team Magma, but as Tale said it's how you portray them.

It is less cliche to use Team Magma than it is to use Team Magma, Aqua, then make a third Team Sky. Or something.

Emerald Lands is something similar, but I follow the plot to a point. Just, spice it up a bit. We don't want:

"You're too late..blahblahblahdrivel"

We want:

"Pathetic child, you thought you could stop me?! Well then, prepare to face the full wrath of etc."

Cliche applies to those who are worried they can't write well enough to ue a cliche. Cliches aren't 'bad', just avoided by those who can.

And anyway, Team Magma isn't really that overused. Just usually used badly, with exceptions like Renegade's old fic, and Klaus's use of Maxie. Just..go with it, and see how it goes.

icemew
15th February 2006, 11:17 PM
Okay, thanks. I feel better about putting them in now. I'll just see how it goes.