PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Rules For Battles

pokeplayer984
16th February 2006, 4:22 AM
As some of you may know, I am writing a fic called The Deadliest Tournament.

Anyways, I've run into a little problem. You see, the Tournament at hand will have special rules that will enable the trainer to use more skill then cheapness to win.

Now, I'm having problems coming up with such rules. So, if you can come up with any kind of rules that will enable the trainer to use skill rather then cheapness, I'd be more than happy to receive them.

Come up with whatever you can. The sky's the limit. :)

And thanks in advance. ^_^

Pinecone Tortoise
16th February 2006, 4:55 AM
Hmmm... I was going to say 'no broad range attacks' so as to stop someone simply ordering their Charizard to burn the entire field and hope the opponent goes up with it... but that would eliminate doing sneaky things like ... say a flying type soaking the entire field with water to make the ground muddy and unstable for an opponent that can't fly...

I know! What about 'Pokemon cannot be switched out unless the trainer agrees to count them as 'fainted and unable to battle for the rest of the match''? So a trainer would have to keep their pokemon battling - even at a disadvantage - or withdraw them permanently from the battle. That way you could get people having to be 'creative' to help their pokemon win at from type/size/confidence/experience/strength handicap.

Oh... what about 'the trainer will pay their opponent's medical bill'. ^^ Mebbe that'll discourage trainers from ordering their Machamp to Seismic Toss a Poochyena or Whismur. Would that put a focus on simply incapacitating a pokemon rather than simply crushing it? More precision and accuracy as opposed to 'all guns blazing, shoot 'em down if they so much as squeak, gonna completely OBLITERATE YOU TO PROVE MY MIGHT' attacks against clearly weaker foes? Then again... that wouldn't work since the Nurse Joys heal for free.. perhaps a point system is in order with points deducted for unnecessary violence/power?

*shrug* Ah well, good luck with this!

Piney.
;204;;324;

Negrek
16th February 2006, 5:22 AM
Dunno, that depends. What do you consider a "cheap" tactic?

pokeplayer984
16th February 2006, 6:42 AM
What is the full real term of cheapness? What kind of tatics have n00bs been known to use to make battles too easy for them? That's what cheapness truely is. Tatics that n00bs are highly known to use to make them win.

Basically, think of any rule you can that will make the n00bs stop dead in their tracks.

N00bs are known for being cheap. Think of rules that can be made to stop them. :)

Evan Turner
16th February 2006, 9:14 AM
Hello. I suggest something like, 'Only 3 items per battle.' to keep the trainers from weakening the other trainer's Pokemon andkeeping their Pokemon with little damage. And maybe, the challenger has to be the first to pick a Pokemon. That way, the challengee can have at least a chance to win. I'll check back if I think of anything else.

Smuggler

RaZoR LeAf
16th February 2006, 11:36 AM
* No use of items
* No use of the following moves: Grudge, Destiny Bond, Explosion, Self Destruct, Substitute, Any self recovery moves (that don't damage)
* Both pokemon are chosen at random, in order to stop type matching
* All battling pokemon should be of similar experience (not necessarily evolution level, just battle experience)

Brian Powell
17th February 2006, 2:32 PM
I got the PM about your problem, mate. If you want my version of the rules involving skill (and not violence) here's what I have in mind...

1. No switching.
2. No items.
3. Both trainers must use an equal number of pokemon each for fairness.
4. At the start both trainers will simultaneously call out their pokemon to avoid cheap advantages.
5. Optional: Once the trainer registers, he/she cannot swop his pokemon via computer or trade.
6. Optional: Pokemons of each trainer will remain hidden until battle commences.

That's all I can think of for now.

Felix Feral Fezirix
18th February 2006, 8:13 AM
For some real gore....

1. No switching out.
2. Only 1 Pokemon can be used.
3. Props allowed.
4. Trainers may attack Pokemon and vice versa.
5. Battle ends when either Pokemon or trainer dies.

That's all I can think of for now. There will definitely be loopholes, but you can scroll through them. ^_^

~RaikouRider243~
18th February 2006, 4:12 PM
You could have a "style points" system like they do in SSB Melee. Whoever fights with the most style wins, not necessarily the team who was KO'ed first.

Keleri
19th February 2006, 2:45 AM
I was part of a tournament RP once, which eventually died and didn't finish, but there were a couple of interesting ideas to make the battles more interesting. One was to have a two-on-two match where one pokémon on each side couldn't use directly damaging attacks, but could act as support--they could change the 'weather', could use defensive moves that affected their partner (i.e. light screen/reflect) and I think heal as well. The other idea was to have really extreme battle fields--not just a grass or a water field, but with things like pits of molten rock, water tanks with huge whirlpools in the middle, fields that would tilt to throw pokémon on the ground off-balance, etc. Kind of fanciful, but it was cool at the time.

pokeplayer984
20th February 2006, 1:42 PM
There are some pretty good suggestions here, but those who are reading my story, just remember, I won't pick all of them, just some of them. So don't be too surprised if I don't pick a rule of yours.

Well, time to get to work on that fic.

Keep up the suggestions.

See ya later. ^_^

Brian Powell
20th February 2006, 3:33 PM
Rules involving violence:
1. Weapons (like trash cans and stop signs) and items are not only allowed, they're encouraged.
2. Up to six pokemon can be used at once.

MaskedManAbsolkid
20th February 2006, 3:47 PM
What about a system where points are lost for inactivity, being weakened (if it was a powerful hit, a lot of points would be lost, but it if was something like Ember, less points would be lost unless the other pokemon is weak to fire), going out of the pitch and attacks that miss? Also, if a move is used to benefit itself or it's partner, points are slowly added on for the trainer (eg. Plusle uses Helping Hand with Minun, the trainer's points go up by a bit).

Also, some moves are banned, and trainers are not allowed to interact with other trainers starting from when the opponents are chosen until the end of the battle. If they're caught with evidence to prove, they're disqualified from a certain number of matches.