PDA

View Full Version : Battle Frontier Team

Absol!
16th February 2006, 8:36 AM
I finally made it to Battle Frontier on Emerald, so I'm getting to the make-a-team stage. I was thinking along the lines of this, but please tell me if I'm heading in the wrong direction and need a poke back onto the right path :)

Swampert @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Nature: ---
EVs: ---
Trait: Torrent
- Curse
- Surf
- Eathquake
- Ice Beam/Rest
Obviously, Chesto Berry is for the Rest option, Leftovers otherwise.

Houndoom @ ---
Nature: Modest?
Trait: Flash Fire
- Flamethrower
- Pursuit/Shadow Ball
- Crunch
- Beat Up
I'd put another Leftovers on this one, but the item clause would bar me so... One of my favourite Pokemon, haven't used it since Gold and Silver though.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Trait: Clear Body
- Meteor Mash
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Psychic/Sludge Bomb
I don't know if Choice Band works on Metagross, but I'll give it a try. Eager to use it in battle as I've never used one before.

Obviously I need a lot of help, especially with natures, items and EVs, but also with movesets. I'm willing to breed a lot to get some great Pokemon, and I'll swap the team around a bit if needed. I haven't really explored weaknesses and strengths with this team as of yet, but I will do as soon as I get time. Thanks!

Here is the Castform I plan on using for Beauty Contests:
Castform @ Blue Scarf
Nature: Modest/Mild/Rash/Quiet
Condition: Max out Beauty
- Flash
- Hail
- Powder Snow
- Fire Blast
The strategy is, enter with Hail, combo with Powder Snow next round, Fire Blast to gain hearts in a pinch and Flash to blot out anyone else's hopes of a combo. I would like to use something better than Fire Blast, but it's the best (tied with Blizzard) Beauty move Castform can use with no extra effects.
I am currently breeding for a good nature, and I have the berries to make good PokeBlocks to max out it's Beauty. Could someone please rate this for me? I didn't want to make a new thread...

Air Dragon
16th February 2006, 10:49 AM
No problemo, i dislike EV training anyways. Before i rate these three, i'd just like to point out that althoughin each frontier single event three pokemon are needed, you can raise more than three to increase you're strengths and vary them from challenge to challenge.

Swampert @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Surf
- Eathquake
- Ice Beam

Houndoom @ ---
Nature: Modest?
- Flamethrower
- Iron Tail
- Crunch
- Beat Up
I'd put another Leftovers on this one, but the item clause would bar me so... One of my favourite Pokemon, haven't used it since Gold and Silver though.

Metagross @ Choice Band Drop it, please...
- Meteor Mash
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Psychic
I don't know if Choice Band works on Metagross, but I'll give it a try. Eager to use it in battle as I've never used one before.

Obviously I need a lot of help, especially with natures, items and EVs, but also with movesets. I'm willing to breed a lot to get some great Pokemon, and I'll swap the team around a bit if needed. I haven't really explored weaknesses and strengths with this team as of yet, but I will do as soon as I get time. Thanks!

Changes in bold. Later!

Emilio
16th February 2006, 10:56 AM
Swampert @ Leftovers
Nature:
Brave
EVs: 240 HP / 50 Atk / 44 SAtk / 176 SDef
- Curse
- Surf/Ice Beam
- Eathquake
- Rest
Don't use chesto rest

Houndoom @ Lum Berry
Nature: Timid
EVs: 68 HP / 190 Spd / 252 SAtk
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Pursuit/Crunch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Beat Up

Metagross @ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 6 Hp
- Meteor Mash
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Explosion

StrayedBullet
16th February 2006, 11:06 AM
I finally made it to Battle Frontier on Emerald, so I'm getting to the make-a-team stage. I was thinking along the lines of this, but please tell me if I'm heading in the wrong direction and need a poke back onto the right path :)

Swampert @ Leftovers
Nature:Brave
EVs: 240 HP / 50 Atk / 44 SAtk / 176 SDef
- Curse
- Ice Beam
- Eathquake
- Ice Beam/Rest
Obviously, Chesto Berry is for the Rest option, Leftovers otherwise. Ice Beam is for dragons.

Houndoom @salac berry
Nature: Timid
EVs: 68 HP / 190 Spd / 252 SAtk
- Fire Blast
- Pursuit/Crunch
- Will-O-Wisp
- HP:Ice/ Grass

Wisp allows you to burn physical sweepers, possibly pursuit over crunch for the switch.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 74 Def / 184 Spd
- Shadow Ball / Rock Slide
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion

You need a physical/special wall.

-SB ;001;

Absol!
16th February 2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks! :)

I don't know if I can get the HPs, but I'll try. And which Pokemon should I use as a wall? I have an Aggron, could I breed that and EV train the offspring Defense for my wall?

I've got a Timid Ditto and a Jolly Houndour female (terrible nature for Houdour x.x), if I put an Everstone on Ditto and bred the two, would there still be a 50/50 chance of a Timid baby, or does that not work with Ditto?

Edit: I also can't get the Salac Berry...

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
16th February 2006, 10:40 PM
Emilio did give advice, it just wasn't Bolded.

Yes, Chesto Rest is stupid because it's a one-off strategy, whereas Leftovers is permanent and will help you a lot more in the long run.

Aggron is OK, but a 4x weakness to Fighting and Ground could hurt it pretty badly, even with such a high Base Defense.

Best Special Wall InGame is Snorlax, and best Special Wall is Milotic. I'd say Skarm and Bliss, but they can't really do that much damage independently, as opposed to these two.

EDDIT: You misunderstood the effect of the Everstone. It doesn't make it 50/50, it just increases the existing percent. It goes from 4% to 6% because 2% is 50% of 4%, added to 4%, it makes 6%. It's not that big a change, but it's something =/

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

Absol!
16th February 2006, 10:58 PM
Okay... I'll have to try and find a Feebas then :) I don't have anyone to trade with (I recently moved overseas) so I can't get a Snorlax or Blissey (I have Lg, but only one GBA), but I can get a Skarmory.

If I get a Milotic, I'd ditch the Swampert, right? How does this set look:

Milotic @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Trait: Marvel Scale
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Hypnosis
- Surf

StrayedBullet
17th February 2006, 8:36 AM
EV's for milotic

EVs: 212 HP / 24 Def / 56 SAtk / 176 SDef / 40 Spd

or try 212 HP/ 252 Def/ rest in S.Def or S.Atk

-SB ;001;

Absol!
18th February 2006, 4:04 AM
Thanks for the EV spread :)

I'm searching for Feebas now, Old Rod, fishing on every tile 2-3 times. It's going to be a long day =/

DragonDance
18th February 2006, 4:50 AM
BTW, Ignore what Shiney Mightyena says (lol psychic on gross, lol non CB gross w/o agility)

You could use Gross as a lead, so it can Rape things silly

Absol!
18th February 2006, 7:17 AM
Okay, thanks Steve's Ledgend. I have edited the main post, adding in a contest Pokemon I plan to use strictly for Beauty Contests.

ZNtelle
18th February 2006, 6:21 PM
I don't know if Choice Band works on Metagross
It does, that's a perfect CBgross set sans Psychic.

Also, what's the point of a Contest Pokemon in Battle Frontier? They aren't our specialty anyways.

Absol!
18th February 2006, 11:32 PM
Lol, it has nothing to do with a Battle Frontier :) I might make a new post, and edit that bit out.