PDA

View Full Version : Ka-Boom With A View! (441)

Serebii
16th February 2006, 11:43 AM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/441.jpgFierce Fighting! Jungle Battle at the Battle Palace!

It's time for Ash's 5th Frontier Brain battle against Spenser at the Battle Palace. A 3 Pokémon Battle, Ash challenges with his newly evolved Sceptile, Swellow and his old friend Heracross against Spenser's Venusaur, Shiftry & Claydol. Will Ash be able to defeat Spenser and get his fifth Frontier Symbol or will Ash wash out?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/441.shtml)

Discuss

~Shining-Metagross~
16th February 2006, 11:54 AM
First post!
Heracross is back. Thats what makes this episode worth watching. Finally, the writers are getting Pokemon back onto the good side.

MaskedManAbsolkid
16th February 2006, 4:45 PM
Apparently, Heracross lost without winning. This disappoints me, it does.

day_macca
16th February 2006, 4:52 PM
I wonder if heracross did any sap sucking?

~Shining-Metagross~
16th February 2006, 4:58 PM
Apparently, Heracross lost without winning. This disappoints me, it does.
Well, thats what Ash gets for not training his Pokemon.... Poor Heracross.

Keif
16th February 2006, 4:59 PM
According to PokeAni, it did - to fushigibana.

Also, I'm not sure if the translation thingie is right but it seems that jukain learns solar beam ever-so-abruptly in this episode.

~Shining-Metagross~
16th February 2006, 5:08 PM
Major events
-Ash Ketchum wins the Spirits Symbol.
-Ash's Sceptile learns Solarbeam during battle with Claydol.

Also, I'm not sure if the translation thingie is right but it seems that jukain learns solar beam ever-so-abruptly in this episode.
Yeah, just check on Bulbapedia. Great, another over-powered 00ber move for Ash's Pokemon.... ¬_¬

MaskedManAbsolkid
16th February 2006, 5:21 PM
Hera sucked sap from Venusaur's bulb.

This battle is a reason why the traits like that should be out of important battles.

ChaosMage
16th February 2006, 5:51 PM
This nay sound good. Solar Beam AGAIN? Heracross losing to an Overused grass-type starter evolution? Random attack-learning? This cheapens Hoenn's efforts in SO many ways!

Torkoal Stu
16th February 2006, 5:52 PM
Punk-Dude-Danny you don't need to post in spoiler tags if the thread is about this episode, people come here to see that stuff so nothing should be protected.

And curse you Heracross and your sap addiction.

Char1016
16th February 2006, 6:25 PM
Heracross must have won... This makes me feel bad. Anyone know when will Ash get the Spirit Symbol?

ChaosMage
16th February 2006, 6:50 PM
Heracross must have won... This makes me feel bad. Anyone know when will Ash get the Spirit Symbol?

1. No, he didn't.
2. He got it in this episode.

I like you, fidani. You're going to be an enjoyable little member.

CyberCubed
16th February 2006, 7:22 PM
As long as Heracross put up a great fight before it went down, I can perhaps tolerate it. I heard Heracross used Megahorn twice, so at least it didn't get knocked out without doing a good amount of damage.

Korobooshi Kojiro
16th February 2006, 8:30 PM
It sucked on Venasaurs bulb in battle (did it do it to Sceptile's sap balls?), if you ask me, sexually harassing another Pokemon in battle is brave!

ChaosMage
16th February 2006, 8:37 PM
Why is Heracross so pun-creatingly horny? WHY!?!

JazzJazz
16th February 2006, 8:47 PM
It sucked on Venasaurs bulb in battle

Did it? Venusaur doesn't really have a "bulb" as such though... I'll have to have a look at the shots when they come out.

day_macca
16th February 2006, 8:51 PM
It sucked on Venasaurs bulb in battle

Knew it would! So who defeat who in the match?

Korobooshi Kojiro
16th February 2006, 8:54 PM
Did it? Venusaur doesn't really have a "bulb" as such though... I'll have to have a look at the shots when they come out.

Well, so I heard it did. I'm pretty sure someone else posted it.

I was hoping it would suck those bulbs on Scpetile, then have Sceptile scare it away.

ChaosMage
16th February 2006, 8:54 PM
Knew it would! So who defeat who in the match?

Heracross<Venusaur<Swellow<Shiftry<Sceptile>Claydol

DANdotW
16th February 2006, 9:10 PM
Shiftry defeated Swellow? This is nearly as upsetting as Heracross losing when he's usually such a feirce competitor. Solarbeam? Ah well, I suppose it was innevitable really. Now there are two Pokémon in the main group who know the attack though, kind of makes me feel something is being foreshadowed, although I'm not quite sure what.

Hunter

Lupin
16th February 2006, 9:21 PM
Heracross lost :(

Well thats annoying, I was hoping for him to take care of Venusaur for us.

ghost master
16th February 2006, 9:44 PM
Shiftry defeated Swellow? This is nearly as upsetting as Heracross losing when he's usually such a feirce competitor. Solarbeam? Ah well, I suppose it was innevitable really. Now there are two Pokémon in the main group who know the attack though, kind of makes me feel something is being foreshadowed, although I'm not quite sure what.

HunterOn bulbagarden they said that it was first Sceptile vs. shiftry and sceptile won and Ash withdrew Sceptile after the battle to reserve for the future. Or maybe I'm interpreting it wrong according to what the person said.

Lupin
16th February 2006, 10:03 PM
On bulbagarden they said that it was first Sceptile vs. shiftry and sceptile won and Ash withdrew Sceptile after the battle to reserve for the future. Or maybe I'm interpreting it wrong according to what the person said.

Well I'm not sure about bulbagarden, but you should never really trust bulbapedia.

Aldrius
16th February 2006, 10:08 PM
I'd think he'd start out with Sceptile, it having just regained it's moves.

*Shrug* Just my opinion.

Flamez
16th February 2006, 10:26 PM
According to pokeani from my translation which isnt good at all but ill take a whack at it.
Sceptile vs. Shiftry- Sceptile won and ash called it back
Heracross vs. Venasaur- Venasaur won
Venasaur vs. Swellow- Swellow won
Claydol vs. Swellow- Claydol won
Claydol vs. Sceptile- Sceptile won

Like i said i could be wrong, since my translation in not good, if wrong please correct it.

Magus
16th February 2006, 11:37 PM
Big thumbs down for not letting Heracross be the one to knock out Venusaur. All I've got to say. What was the point of bringing him back just to lose?

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
16th February 2006, 11:51 PM
Big thumbs down for not letting Heracross be the one to knock out Venusaur. All I've got to say. What was the point of bringing him back just to lose?

Exactly my thoughts.

And dear heavens, Gravy is NOT going to be happy. All the while, he was adamant on Sceptile not learning Solarbeam, and here it has....Frankly, I'm disappointed, too. Gravy swept me up and away in his logic, and I agree this really goes against Sceptile's style -_-

Currently hating the writers for royally screwing over Spenser's battle D= I wish they had showcased Sceptile in Anabel's episode, as I really don't care about her at all. What I wanted here was an awesome fight with reasonable KOs. Instead we get Sceptile showing off its blooming backside ;-;

Oh well, at least I like Sceptile. If the spotlight went to Charizard, I would have to maim a small animal.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

JazzJazz
16th February 2006, 11:55 PM
Did Ash send heracross back to Oak's at the end of the episode? I'm really hoping that he didn't, but I'm assuming that he did...

CyberCubed
16th February 2006, 11:56 PM
Heh, it is amusing to see Gravy proven wrong with a lot of his arguments though. :p

He always has a lot of great points as to why something should or should not happen, but then the writers prove him wrong and do it anyway. Fate is cruel ay?

Almighty Zard
17th February 2006, 12:03 AM
And dear heavens, Gravy is NOT going to be happy. All the while, he was adamant on Sceptile not learning Solarbeam, and here it has....Frankly, I'm disappointed, too. Gravy swept me up and away in his logic, and I agree this really goes against Sceptile's style -_-

Gravy's already not happy about it, go read the spec thread, and would you people stop complaining about how it contradicts it's fighting style, fully evolved pokemon in my opinion should learn one of the most powerful type moves that they can learn, and who's to say the writers haven't found a way to incorperate the move into it's fighting style, it can be done you know.

Currently hating the writers for royally screwing over Spenser's battle D= I wish they had showcased Sceptile in Anabel's episode, as I really don't care about her at all. What I wanted here was an awesome fight with reasonable KOs. Instead we get Sceptile showing off its blooming backside ;-;

Heracross at least did something that i can't wait to see in the episode pics, Swellow has just become the best "bird flyer" that Ash has had to date,(pidgeot has nothing on him.) and considering the previous episode was all about Sceptile plus the fact he was the only pokemon to lose a battle back as a Grovyle in the arena, he rightfully deserves screen vengence.

Heracross
17th February 2006, 12:07 AM
Bloody hell. Not only did Heracross get the shaft, they just had to go and give Jukain solarbeam didn't they? And to think I was looking foreward to this. --;

Almighty Zard
17th February 2006, 12:13 AM
Bloody hell. Not only did Heracross get the shaft, they just had to go and give Jukain solarbeam didn't they? And to think I was looking foreward to this. --;

i actually was thinking that it would in this battle i don't know why, and does anyone know what TR was doing in the episode, i hope they are moping after Sceptile killed thier pokemon last episode hehehehe..........

Heracross
17th February 2006, 12:17 AM
I suppose I should be happy that he appeared at all, but to be honest, I would have rather he just stayed at Ookido's lab than being KO'ed in the first round.

Almighty Zard
17th February 2006, 12:18 AM
I suppose I should be happy that he appeared at all, but to be honest, I would have rather he just stayed at Ookido's lab than being KO'ed in the first round.

at least Heracross will give us something to laugh at when the pictures show up, i can't wait to see Venusaurs facial expression.

Magus
17th February 2006, 12:33 AM
Solar Beam's charge-up time is bad for Sceptile's high-speed fighting style, but...he doesn't actually have to stand still while charging, does he? If he can still jump around to dodge attacks while he charges, it's not too bad.

CyberCubed
17th February 2006, 12:35 AM
Judging by Munchlax's Solarbeam, I'm doubting whether Sceptile's has any charge up time at all.

Great, who wants to bet that May's Bulbasaur learns Solarbeam from Ash's Bulbasaur back at Oaks? Then we'll have 4 Pokemon with the main group that know Solarbeam. :/

Heracross
17th February 2006, 12:41 AM
And then Satoshi will use Hinoarashi in the next facility and it'll learn overheat. 8D

Nintendo Theatre
17th February 2006, 12:46 AM
Did Ash send heracross back to Oak's at the end of the episode? NOone has answered that yet!

Almighty Zard
17th February 2006, 12:50 AM
Did Ash send heracross back to Oak's at the end of the episode? NOone has answered that yet!

well no one's answered mine about what TR was doing in this episode but oh well......

Magus
17th February 2006, 12:56 AM
Judging by Munchlax's Solarbeam, I'm doubting whether Sceptile's has any charge up time at all.
Point taken.

Great, who wants to bet that May's Bulbasaur learns Solarbeam from Ash's Bulbasaur back at Oaks? Then we'll have 4 Pokemon with the main group that know Solarbeam. :/
The Bulbas count as part of the "main group"? Ash's is permanently Oaked, and we have no idea when or if May will retrieve hers.

V Faction
17th February 2006, 2:18 AM
And then Satoshi will use Hinoarashi in the next facility and it'll learn overheat. 8D
You mean, "It will learn Solarbeam by some amazing miracle."

You know... If it had been one or the other... Heracross losing so quickly OR Sceptile getting plunked with Solarbeam, I could've coped with that. Sure, I'd be upset over which ever of the two did happen, but I could cope. But this... This is low.

PDL
17th February 2006, 2:53 AM
well that's certainly craptacular D:

I'm sad that Heracross lost and I'm even sadder that Sceptile learned solarbeam... hopefully it'll only be used as a last resort of something and it still uses Bullet Seed and Leaf Blade.

Poké_Master
17th February 2006, 3:13 AM
Why did Heracross have to lose? WHY!?

CyberCubed
17th February 2006, 3:15 AM
Why did Heracross have to lose? WHY!?

Because the writers hate you.

Poké_Master
17th February 2006, 3:27 AM
I think I already knew that... :( Oh, well. Heracross better get some redemption later on in the series...!

BrokenDreams
17th February 2006, 4:09 AM
Man the writer's were probably high when they wrote this.

Heracross
17th February 2006, 7:23 AM
That's what we've been saying for ages. XP

Chris
17th February 2006, 10:36 AM
Let's see. Heracross hasn't been used since Satoshi went to Houen, while Fushigibana was still being trained. Of course Fushigibana's gonna win. Heracross hadn't been used in a while. As long as a good battle was put up, I couldn't care less who won.

I love the logic of some of you people. You complain when Satoshi's Pokémon win out of some miraculous event, yet when one of the cool yet undertrained Pokémon loses, you have to throw a fit over it. Nice.

Jukain learning Solarbeam wasn't any suprise. I don't really see much of a problem with it anyways, seeing as Jukain hadn't even learned any new moves since learning Leaf Blade as a Juptile. o_O At least we're not seeing some crazy way of it learning some kind of Razor Leaf or Vine Whip, both which have been overused over the years. >:P

The Big Al
17th February 2006, 11:03 AM
I think we hate Solaream because it is way over used. Consider the huge move pool Sceptile can use, you'd think they could have given it a more original move than Solar Beam.

So, Snorlax takes down two fighting types and people justify it by saying the Pokemon probably train at Oak's. Then Heracross gets his head handed to him by a grass type and the justification is that they don't train at Oak's. TBA's conclusion: Heracross got the shaft big time.

The Benmeister
17th February 2006, 11:14 AM
Amen.

I'm only hoping that Ash keeps Heracross in his team to train it.

'Yeah right, the writers will never do that' I hear you say. And you would be right. I'm just saying what I think would make the loss better, but it ain't gonna happen.

I'm not too fussed about Solarbeam. I mean, who wants to complain about a Pokemon LEARNING a move? Even Squirtle and Ice Beam wasn't too bad, it was just badly placed to give Squirtle a convinient and cheap win. Sceptile is different though, it has had lots of training, so I'm not bothered.

Chris
17th February 2006, 11:39 AM
I think we hate Solaream because it is way over used. Consider the huge move pool Sceptile can use, you'd think they could have given it a more original move than Solar Beam.

So, Snorlax takes down two fighting types and people justify it by saying the Pokemon probably train at Oak's. Then Heracross gets his head handed to him by a grass type and the justification is that they don't train at Oak's. TBA's conclusion: Heracross got the shaft big time.
Difference. Satoshi used Kabigon's girth quite a bit in the battle to the advantage, whereas Heracross was barely even used even during Jouto.

Oh, and I wanted to use this analogy instead. We get complaints about Haruka's Pokémon learning moves too fast and winning Contests without training. Yet when an underused Pokémon of Satoshi's loses, we gotta throw a hissy fit.

I CALL SEXISM ON THAT! >:O

Brinstar
17th February 2006, 1:45 PM
I seem to recall people wanting Sceptile gain Solarbeam back when it was a Grovyle... after seeing that one chick's Grovyle use it or whatever

Anyways, on the subject of Heracross losing...as long as it got a good fight in I'm happy. And hey, you win some and you lose some. It would be unrealistic to think that every Pokemon Ash withdraws from Oak is going to immediately win its match.

I CALL SEXISM ON THAT! >:O

lmao

Poké_Master
17th February 2006, 2:20 PM
Exactly. I just have three questions:

Why'd Heracross have to lose? WHY!? Why'd Heracross have to lose?

Torkoal Stu
17th February 2006, 2:39 PM
Exactly. I just have three questions:

Why'd Heracross have to lose? WHY!? Why'd Heracross have to lose?
Technically thats the same question three times, so not three questions :p

And because the writers take whatever all the fans and make it the opposite so the fans never get what they want, ok?

Don't forget, Snorlax is stronger, bigger, has had more training and well Heracross was just shafted like hell and such. :/

Hmmm I haven't actually seen pictures yet but I hear Heracross used Megahorn a few times meaning it must of put up some kind of fight, and this is Max and May's first time with Heracross :O Shockzors.

I'm actually hoping Ash sent Heracross back, so he can get a new Pokemon, I demand Ash gets a new Pokemon >: Or at least get Torkoal back....

....*silence*....

*shot*

Poké_Master
17th February 2006, 2:53 PM
Technically thats the same question three times, so not three questions :p

And because the writers take whatever all the fans and make it the opposite so the fans never get what they want, ok?

Don't forget, Snorlax is stronger, bigger, has had more training and well Heracross was just shafted like hell and such. :/

Hmmm I haven't actually seen pictures yet but I hear Heracross used Megahorn a few times meaning it must of put up some kind of fight, and this is Max and May's first time with Heracross :O Shockzors.

I'm actually hoping Ash sent Heracross back, so he can get a new Pokemon, I demand Ash gets a new Pokemon >: Or at least get Torkoal back....

....*silence*....

*shot*
It would be nice to get Torkoal back but it had enough screen time in Hoenn. Ash needs a new Pokémon, preferably a 4th Generation one because May and Brock already have one each.

V Faction
17th February 2006, 3:24 PM
The way Heracross lost was certainly a clever move on their part. We all know of Heracross's weakness to the sap. If temptation hits, things will always go astray.

But.

It was still a cop-out loss. The situational setup seems almost comical. What I mean is, here they give Spenser a Venusaur, despite him not having one in the games and despite us having seen one not that long ago in a major Contest right. Then, they pull Heracross out of Oak's after so long and have it face off against Venusaur, prompting its 'quirk' of wanting sap.

What the hell? Did they purposely want it to lose? I don't want to see a favorite Pokemon of mine being retrieved at ALL if its only function is going to serve as a "funny" Loss-of-the-Day. Keep it at Oak's and save it from the humiliation.

Hey! Maybe next time they can have Muk fight a Soap Monster or pit Snorlax against a PokeBlock up its butt! Tee-hee.

I seem to recall people wanting Sceptile gain Solarbeam back when it was a Grovyle... after seeing that one chick's Grovyle use it or whatever
Well, whether that's true or not, you must remember that Solarbeam was treated a little differently back then. Hansen's Shedinja caught a couple people off guard when it used its Solarbeam. Back then, Solarbeam was only associated with Grass types and a small picking of other Pokemon. In other words, it was more special.

These days, Solarbeam has become like Hyper Beam in terms of being overused and generic. Sometimes the 2-turn charge up is a factor; sometimes it's not.

Poké_Master
17th February 2006, 4:18 PM
Exactly! Heracross is one of my favorite Pokémon and they brought it back just to have it lose and get sent back to Oak's Lab again!

Squirtlefan1
17th February 2006, 6:11 PM
Glad Heracross returned but lost.
Sceptile's obviously the winning pokemon knowing the writers.
Swellow was a good choice knowing it's advantage over grass types.

Hope Cyndaquil, Bayleef, Totodile, Kingler, Squirtle, Tauros, Noctowl and Bulbasaur get a go too! would love to see all these old pokemon back in action having not seen them for so long [until the Oak's Lab all members gathering episode]

S.Suikun
17th February 2006, 7:08 PM
Hah, the TR sub-plot is great. The way TR in gym battles should be handled. Rapid cutaways that serve as simple comic relief.

The Azami battle was mediocre, but this makes up for it. I really don't mind Heracross losing. I was simply happy that we even got to see it. We didn't have any returning Pokemon for the last 2 Frontier battles. For the Anabel battle, not only would I like to see Cyndaquil return, but for Ash to keep it (He needs a fire type right now).

Torkoal Stu
17th February 2006, 7:25 PM
OMG creepy, in the speculation thread someone said they'll be watching from a Balloon, someone else said from a TV, but they are watching from a TV in a balloon X_X;; Creepy...

But the Camera thing was cool ^^

Wow Shiftry went down fast, it used like one Shadow Ball, but I guess Glaydol was Spener's main Pokemon. Ha ha ha Heracross was class and it did put up a fight mind you. Swellow did well, Vensaur hmmm well it did well against Heracross just not Swellow. Claydol pwned real time, we really haven't seen one have some good action like that one, I mean the huge one and Robert's x__x;; Not exactly good appearences for battling.

Well yeah hmm erm :/

.Bambi.
17th February 2006, 7:36 PM
The Battle as a whole was okay I guess...

Whoever called May/Max/Brock/Scott watching via Hot Air Balloon was right, they were in a Pokeball one that had a TV screen. A floating judge/camea [wtf?] would fly around with the battle and give the TV a picture.

Okay, is it just me, or does a robotic Frontier Judge ruin the whole 'Jungle Theme'? Here we have a remote island seemingly filled with Pokemon and one human, Spenser. Then we have the 'Battle Palace' designed like old, ancient ruins to further the effect. And then we get a floating camera judge. Honestly, that's like taking the grunge out of the 90's D:

I don't really want to comment on the episode right now because I've only seen pictures, but at the end Heracross is still with the Group. I know Ash could easily send it back between the end of this episode and the start of the new one, but Charizard returned to his crazy-*** Valley during the end of the Factory episode, so maybe there's some hope? Or maybe I desperately want the writers to pull a Phanpy on Heracross...oh that would be heaven.

Oh, and I don’t mind Sceptile learning Solar Beam. Yes, it’s overused, but this is the newest attack it’s learned in a LONGGG time [we’re talking early-mid Hoenn] and from pictures, it looks rather cool *shot*

V Faction
17th February 2006, 8:24 PM
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/619/trio9hv.png

Now that's a great shot.

Poké_Master
17th February 2006, 8:27 PM
Hah, the TR sub-plot is great. The way TR in gym battles should be handled. Rapid cutaways that serve as simple comic relief.

The Azami battle was mediocre, but this makes up for it. I really don't mind Heracross losing. I was simply happy that we even got to see it. We didn't have any returning Pokemon for the last 2 Frontier battles. For the Anabel battle, not only would I like to see Cyndaquil return, but for Ash to keep it (He needs a fire type right now).
Maybe Ash'll bring it back for the Battle Tower and it'll be Ash's last Pokémon for the battle. It'll be hurt bad enough that it will evolve to win the battle for Ash.

OR

Ash and Cyndaquil will lose so they'll go train and come back once Cyndaquil evolved...

The Big Al
17th February 2006, 8:44 PM
Wait, Heracross tried to go for Venusaur's flower? You'd think after a few years with Bulbasaur it's learn you get nothing from sucking on Pokemon (that didn't sound right XP). Heracross should be nominated for a Darwin Award. I mean, he's been shafted six way from Sunday during the series (and unlike May's Pokemon, he doesn't sit in a Poke Ball day) and it's his turn to bat and loses to his own personal flaws. You'd think with the punishment Bulbasaur gave him every time he tried to go for his bulb he would have learned by now.

Heracross's utter humiliation aside, I'm looking forward to this episode.

JazzJazz
17th February 2006, 8:49 PM
I don't really want to comment on the episode right now because I've only seen pictures, but at the end Heracross is still with the Group.

Finally, an answer and thankfully it's what I was hoping for. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that heracross is given some respect by the writers in an upcoming episode... and that it remains with Ash for a little while.

Gravy
17th February 2006, 8:52 PM
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/619/trio9hv.png

Now that's a great shot.
That picture right there. Thats reason enough for Heracross to stick around longer.
That group shot in the opening would look all the more sweeter...

Korobooshi Kojiro
17th February 2006, 8:57 PM
Heracross only suck Venausaur BEFORE the fight. He puts up a pretty good fight.

By the way, Sceptile fires a midair Solar Beam. It looks awesome, and he charges up with the yellow bulbs.

Swellow eats a bannana......

ChaosMage
17th February 2006, 9:04 PM
Heracross better had stay for a while! I love the [little?] guy!

V Faction
17th February 2006, 9:06 PM
Swellow eats a bannana......
Stop the presses!

Korobooshi Kojiro
17th February 2006, 9:07 PM
Yeah, Spenser, Ash, Swellow, and Pikachu eat bannannas before they battle.

Swellow, btw, has a awesome fight and employs double team!

ghost master
17th February 2006, 9:08 PM
Finally, an answer and thankfully it's what I was hoping for. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that heracross is given some respect by the writers in an upcoming episode... and that it remains with Ash for a little while. I'm hoping in the ending scene we see Ash awing at his symbol and sceptile,swellow and Heracross are outside of their pokeballs sitting their. I didnt understand one thing though. Did Spencer set all those booby traps that TR kept getting trapped in or did they set them up and forget where they were. I'm rather annoyed that Heracross got knocked out with just a solar beam(correct me if wrong I didnt see the razor leaf actually hit heracross).
Heracross should be nominated for a Darwin Award. I mean, he's been shafted six way from Sunday during the series (and unlike May's Pokemon, he doesn't sit in a Poke Ball day) and it's his turn to bat and loses to his own personal flaws. He didnt lose because of his personal flaw. When Heracross did it no one did anything and Spencer was kinda WTF. He lost because he was getting ready to megahorn Venusaur, but Heracross didnt see that it had been charging for a solar beam so it got a powerful blast when right in front of Venusaur.
Is it just me or did solar beam look cooler on Sceptile? It also works alright with Sceptile even though I would've prefered something else.
One funny scene I noted was TR all had binoculars and spying on Ash and co. while Manene didnt have one it still imitated the group pretending it had binoculars. Anyway I thought it was a cool episode even though the results werent as desired. Although if Heracross stays it will more than make up for it.

Pokeballs
17th February 2006, 9:28 PM
Cybercubed totally called the hot air balloon XD

Sceptile w/ Solar Beam looked pretty cool, and it did at least dodge while it was charging, hopefully the attack doesn't become abused like Tetsuya's Sceptile...

Robotboy
17th February 2006, 9:29 PM
Hmm. I won't have a definite opinion on the episode until I see the pictures, but judging by the information in this thread, I have mixed feelings on this episode.

I'm rather impartial to Sceptile learning Solarbeam, but... Heracross going down without a single win just makes me sad. A very, very sad panda.

Kabuto
17th February 2006, 9:37 PM
How sad. Heracross has a type advantage and massive power but was brought down by a Venusaur. Oh well at least we got to see it and it did supposedly put up a good fight. Anyway, I knew Sceptile would learn solar beam the attack I've been tired of after Kanto but maybe Sceptile will make it look cool. I've never seen Ash's Sceptile use an attack that looked stupid.

.Bambi.
17th February 2006, 10:04 PM
Hmmmm...you know what I just realized? Ash and Spenser were running through the forest, right?
Yet they didn't run into ONE Beedrill or Kakuna which the said forest seemed to be brimming with last episode. Not even one damned Kakuna hanging from a tree in the backdrop >.>

It just furthers the fact that all Beedrill are are plot devices D:

John's Knight
17th February 2006, 10:08 PM
Hmmmm...you know what I just realized? Ash and Spenser were running through the forest, right?
Yet they didn't run into ONE Beedrill or Kakuna which the said forest seemed to be brimming with last episode. Not even one damned Kakuna hanging from a tree in the backdrop >.>

It just furthers the fact that all Beedrill are are plot devices D:

Good point <<
Anyway, saw the pics. The TR scenes were hilarious IMO. Claydol ,one of my favorites, appeared in this episode, so...even so, 8/10.

CyberCubed
17th February 2006, 10:23 PM
OMG creepy, in the speculation thread someone said they'll be watching from a Balloon, someone else said from a TV, but they are watching from a TV in a balloon X_X;; Creepy...

That was me! Well, I said they'd probably be watching from a balloon anyway. Pretty easy guess though.

V Faction
17th February 2006, 11:09 PM
Looks like your pain-staking time-biding paid off, Cyber!

The Big Al
17th February 2006, 11:38 PM
Well, now we know what those balls on Sceptile's back are for.

jolteonjak
18th February 2006, 1:09 AM

I agree. I saw the pics, and I must say it doesn't help seeing it knowing that Heracross was doomed for failure. Poor guy. Now I would be tickled pink crying like a baby if Heracross got to stick around for awhile to avenge its loss.

I know I'll make enemies here, but its time to Oak Swellow. I'm sorry, but the writers made it a little too powerful for my taste.

Great pic you took VFaction!

ZoraJolteon
18th February 2006, 1:16 AM
Sceptile apparantly knows Waterfall. 0_o; Nice to see the return of Slam though.

Geodude
18th February 2006, 1:18 AM
How sad. Heracross has a type advantage and massive power but was brought down by a Venusaur. Oh well at least we got to see it and it did supposedly put up a good fight.
No, there is no type advantage, just Heracross' resistance to Grass attacks. Yes, it did put up a good fight.

I agree with whoever said that if Heracross had won, it wouldn't be long before people would start complaining that Ash's use of his reserves is too predictable, that reserve = automatic win. But it actually lost, and people are still complaining. Just goes to show that people love to whine and hate to focus on the good things that happened.

Yet they didn't run into ONE Beedrill or Kakuna which the said forest seemed to be brimming with last episode.
Not the same forest.

Sceptile apparantly knows Waterfall. 0_o; Nice to see the return of Slam though.
Uh, no. And that was Pound. It has never used Slam.

V Faction
18th February 2006, 1:31 AM
I agree with whoever said that if Heracross had won, it wouldn't be long before people would start complaining that Ash's use of his reserves is too predictable, that reserve = automatic win. But it actually lost, and people are still complaining. Just goes to show that people love to whine and hate to focus on the good things that happened.
This was the first reserve that seemed to get no special treatment. And by that I don't mean because Heracross lost, but rather its battle wasn't a deciding factor in the match going to Ash. Charizard and Snorlax received highly centralized fights. It doesn't help that those two are top tier Ash Pokemon. When a strong but more interesting Pokemon comes around, like Heracross, it's a cruel fate to see it not even win a round.

Trust me, if they were to pull more stunts like the Charizard and Snorlax fights down the line, I would assuredly complain. But if they managed themselves and stuck reserve Pokemon in fights like Heracross's (minus the losing), it would be more tolerable.

Heracross
18th February 2006, 1:38 AM
Exactly. If he had taken down one pokémon and then lost I wouldn't have cared. No one said he had to hog the spotlight and win the whole battle. :/

Chris
18th February 2006, 1:44 AM
You folks got your Heracross TAKING A FIRE BLAST HEAD ON and defeating Shigeru's Boober. Now shaddap. :(

Alfonso
18th February 2006, 1:45 AM
Here's hoping Hera stays with the group and makes Ash's BF team the best damn team he's ever had.

Forget Charizard, and forget Bulbasaur and Squirtle. Sceptile, Swellow and Heracross are the powerhouses we want to see.

The Three Musketeers, so to speak.

Flamez
18th February 2006, 1:48 AM
Seen the episode and wont whine about heracross losing although it was disappointing. It still put up a good fight it got in horn attack and 2 megahorn attacks. Venasaur was strong it took three attacks from heracross and a quick attack from swellow and aerial ace to knock it out. I have a feeling we'll see heracross in the next facilty. Shiftry vs. Sceptile a battle i've said i wanted since shiftry was first shown in the hoenn region and ash battled it with treeko. And it was nice to see it play out the way it did, especially the part where shiftry using his speed to get around but sceptile keeping right with him and giving a little smile. Sceptile's solarbeam looked really nice IMO, possibly the best i've seen yet in the anime. And something gravy said that i agreed with was if sceptile got solarbeam that would hurt its battling style of sort, since sceptile moves around and stuff hes like a fighter, and usually when a pokemon is charging up for solarbeam they really dont move around much. But it was nice to see sceptiles case be different in this battle, cuz ash had him jump up to dodge claydols attack when charging up for solarbeam and then sceptile launched it and as i said already it looked awesome. Sceptile is the type of pokemon that can charge up solarbeam and dodge attacks at the same time with its ability to move.Overall i loved the episode, animation, music, the length of the battle, TR's interference everything was great. 10/10
I really want the animators/writers or whoever does it to keep the idea of sceptile charging its beam and dodging attacks like it did in this battle since that will keep sceptiles way of battling consistant and the way we all love it.

Almighty Zard
18th February 2006, 1:54 AM
Here's hoping Hera stays with the group and makes Ash's BF team the best damn team he's ever had.

may happen if the writers decide to send Donphan back.

Sceptile, Swellow and Heracross are the powerhouses we want to see.

i love how a mug shot can hypnotise people, and at least there is less complaining on the Solarbeam issue now.

CyberCubed
18th February 2006, 1:57 AM
You folks got your Heracross TAKING A FIRE BLAST HEAD ON and defeating Shigeru's Boober. Now shaddap. :(

That was over 170 episodes and 3 years ago. That hardly compensates for anything now.

Poké_Master
18th February 2006, 2:00 AM
Ash should keep Heracross and then keep the team the same for the rest of the season. It is the ultimate team and could never lose.

ghost master
18th February 2006, 2:02 AM
may happen if the writers decide to send Donphan back.No way. If anything Swellow would go if Heracross stayed and if somoene would have to be oaked. I dont think Donphan has yet to have a good battle. Lucy's battle wasnt all that good of a battle.

Almighty Zard
18th February 2006, 2:06 AM
Ash should keep Heracross and then keep the team the same for the rest of the season.

If it takes Donphan's place i'm all for it.

It is the ultimate team and could never lose

it just did....

No way. If anything Swellow would go if Heracross stayed and if somoene would have to be oaked. I dont think Donphan has yet to have a good battle. Lucy's battle wasnt all that good of a battle.

let me see, Phanpy came back, evolved into Donphan, got a pretty decent amount of travel in, and got a frontier battle(regardless of what you think), what else can the elephant possibly do, Swellow is staying cause in addition to being a raging juggernaunt from the pitts of hell, it is also the (Scout/TR ballon popper/etc) it has a purpose, Donphan does not, the only reason people want it to go back is cause they are jealous that it picked up a win when everyone thought it was going to be taken down and vice-versa with Heracross, and don't even start with me that Heracross can do what Swellow can, yes it can fly, but it is isn't as fast, and we know how easily TR can trick it. (Falkner Gym episode anyone?)

CyberCubed
Ash should keep Heracross and then keep the team the same for the rest of the season. It is the ultimate team and could never lose.

Eh, I still want to see his other Pokemon at Oaks get in at least one battle. We haven't seen any of his reserves at Oaks in battle since the Johto league, why should they continue to rot away doing nothing?

This is their last chance to be on Ash's team too, as we know once the D/P saga starts all of Ash's AG team will be Oaked as well.

I still want Ash's Squirtle to return, Muk and Tauros to be used, Cyndaquil and Totodile to possibly evolve, and Bayleef to get a good battle. Is this too much to ask? (Don't answer that question, as I know it'll be a miracle if the writers do everything I want them to do)

V Faction
Haha. Boober.

That's another thing too. Heracross DID take a Fire Blast head on. Like it was nothing. And yet Solarbeam hands Hera its ***.

Flamez
18th February 2006, 2:10 AM
Thats true V, but after watching the episode i observed that venasaur was strong. It took heracross and swellow to beat it. Swellow won because its fast and can move around. Heracross was going head to head and failed. And besides i have a feeling that we'll see heracross in the next facility. O yea thanks for the info on the Octazooka attack, appreciate it.

Gravy
18th February 2006, 2:10 AM
No way. If anything Swellow would go if Heracross stayed and if somoene would have to be oaked. I dont think Donphan has yet to have a good battle. Lucy's battle wasnt all that good of a battle.
...why should any of them be Oaked at all? Swellow and Sceptile are a joy to watch in combat, and both Donphan and Corphish are in need of development. Filling that sixth space just so another pokémon can leave would take idiocy to a whole new level.

Well, compared to amount of successful fights Snorlax has had thus far, a relatively short Johto league battle doesn't exactly count for much :/ *whistles innocently*

And yet Solarbeam hands Hera its ***.
I LOVE SOLARBEAM!

Poké_Master
18th February 2006, 2:13 AM
If it takes Donphan's place i'm all for it.

That would be fine with me. Plus it would leave an empty space for Cyndaquil or Totodile to make a return and possibly evolve, like Cyber said.

it just did....

I meant the whole team.

V Faction
18th February 2006, 2:14 AM
EDIT: Damn. I should quote more.

Thats true V, but after watching the episode i observed that venasaur was strong. It took heracross and swellow to beat it. Swellow won because its fast and can move around. Heracross was going head to head and failed. And besides i have a feeling that we'll see heracross in the next facility. O yea thanks for the info on the Octazooka attack, appreciate it.
Oh heck yeah it was strong! Heracross gave all that it could. I generally chalk stuff like this up to writer influence though. Heracross could have been paired up against Shiftry and lost just the same if that's what they had decided. And I guess, that's what bugs me the most, that they went ahead and gave Heracross the difficult round. Poor guy.

I LOVE SOLARBEAM!
You luv Solurbame. You luv Solurbame. You luv it. Yur life is meaningless without Solurbame.

Poké_Master
18th February 2006, 2:15 AM
If it stays, Ash'll probably train it and it might appear at the Battle Tower and win against one of Anabel's Pokémon.

ghost master
18th February 2006, 2:18 AM
I still want Ash's Squirtle to return, Muk and Tauros to be used, Cyndaquil and Totodile to possibly evolve, and Bayleef to get a good battle. Is this too much to ask? (Don't answer that question, as I know it'll be a miracle if the writers do everything I want them to do) Theres always the battle tower. Assuming they do it like they did in the 7th movie he could use different pokemon for different rounds and then he could do a 6 vs. 6 against Anabel. Although I guess I'm hoping to much for the writers to provide a 6 vs. 6 match. I dont think the writers are going to be able to work around the battle tower feature since we've already seen it appear in the anime and there's not much else to do. I also dont think the writers cant make this at least 2 parters.
Anyway on topic, Sceptile's solarbeam did it have a little blue in it or was it smoke or dust surrounding the beam.

That's another thing too. Heracross DID take a Fire Blast head on. Like it was nothing. And yet Solarbeam hands Hera its ***. yeah I know that got me miffed but, I think it was partially due to Heracross getting hit really close to Venusaur at the time.

...why should any of them be Oaked at all? I did say
if somoene would have to be oaked

Nintendo Theatre
18th February 2006, 2:27 AM
I think Heracross is actually going to stay because knowing Ash now, if a Pokemon of his isn't doing well he'll train it more. All I can say is expect Heracross to stay on the team for a few more episodes and possibly participate in the Battle Tower before being sent back to Oak's...

Flamez
18th February 2006, 2:33 AM
Ghostmaster Sceptiles solarbeam had alittle blue in it, the atttack looked really nice.

Poké_Master
18th February 2006, 2:58 AM
I agree! Solar Beam did look cool!

JazzJazz
18th February 2006, 3:08 AM
I think Heracross is actually going to stay because knowing Ash now, if a Pokemon of his isn't doing well he'll train it more.

I don't think he'll acknowledge its bad performance in any future episodes though, can you honestly see Ash say "Heracross let me down against Spenser, I think it needs training."?

*Yes, I know my example was very lame... but, in whatever context, Ash will never say anything related to the above.

.Bambi.
18th February 2006, 3:49 AM
Not the same forest.
Oooz? But, they were on the same island in 'Dawn of Revival' and this episode. And the island pretty much consists of a big-*** forest, the Battle Palace, and a Joy-less Pokemon Center/Shack.

Ash and Spenser were running all around the island, surely they would have run in or close to where the Kakuna/Beedrill were. Besides, who's to say Beedrill only have to stay in one part of the forest? They have wings...

V Faction
18th February 2006, 3:57 AM
There was a Growlithe that needed evolution motivation without a Fire Stone about 2 islands over. They were busy, K.C.!!

.Bambi.
18th February 2006, 4:30 AM
There was a Growlithe that needed evolution motivation without a Fire Stone about 2 islands over. They were busy, K.C.!!
Ah, I see. But weren't they already tuckered out from helping that Weepinbell evolve sans a Leaf Stone the day before?

On another note, you know what I hate? How Swellow is pretty much Aerial Ace. That's it. That's ALL it uses. I miss Wing Attack, or ANY other Flying move for that matter D:

Geodude
18th February 2006, 4:55 AM
Same island, maybe, but didn't we see that Spenser's jungle had boundaries?

pikachu146
18th February 2006, 5:49 AM
Heracross used a Megahorn attack on Venusaur.But It looks like Venusaur launched Solar beam,and killed Heracross.Too bad Heracross lost against Venusaur.But It was cool that Sceptile learned Solar beam from Venusaur.

JazzJazz
18th February 2006, 5:55 AM
It was cool that Sceptile learned Solar beam from Venusaur.

Sceptile didn't learn its new move from venusaur... it didn't even get to see venusaur use solarbeam, it was in its pokeball (Ash is cheap and didn't lash out on pokeballs with windows).

KuwabaraTheMan
18th February 2006, 5:56 AM
Heracross losing without taking anyone down was a little bit of a letdown, but if its staying in the group, that'd be cool. I still liked seeing it back in action.

I enjoyed the battle overall, and thought it was pretty good. I have no problem with Jukain using Solarbeam.

Heracross
18th February 2006, 9:19 AM
Well, despite my dissappointment with Heracross's performance, I have to admit this was a pretty good battle. Certainly more interesting to watch than Azami's anyhow. And it was pretty damn funny to see Hera suck on Fushigibana's flower.

ChaosMage
18th February 2006, 12:08 PM
Why do I think we're going to see a new pattern in glowing body parts with new attacks? Solar Beam has Sceptile's balls glowing, and Combusken's Mega Kick has its legs and head feathers glowing.

ghost master
18th February 2006, 1:24 PM
Sceptile didn't learn its new move from venusaur... it didn't even get to see venusaur use solarbeam, it was in its pokeball (Ash is cheap and didn't lash out on pokeballs with windows). Well when it was in the battling against Claydol Sceptile had absorbed the sunlight then it had a flash back of Venusaur charging up for Solar beam and then Sceptile launched the attack.

Why do I think we're going to see a new pattern in glowing body parts with new attacks? Solar Beam has Sceptile's balls glowing, and Combusken's Mega Kick has its legs and head feathers glowing. I think its cool looking IMO and its better then no charge up or just seeing their legs glow white.

Ghostmaster Sceptiles solarbeam had alittle blue in it, the atttack looked really nice. Thanks. It does look cool and I just wanted to make sure it wasnt smoke or dust.

Joe
18th February 2006, 1:42 PM
Just saw the pictures, and I have to say; Heracross got shafted. ;_; It was the perfect chance for it to come back, and prove how much of a powerhouse it is, but instead, it sucks bulb and gets KO'ed in it's first battle in God knows how long. The writers should be shot for that. =\

Anyway, about Sceptile learning Solarbeam. Awesome. Even awesomer if it can somehow make a quick-fire version of it! But I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

Also, why did they have to give Spencer Shiftry and Venusaur?! Why not Rapidash and Vileplume? Or Typhlosion and Nidoking? >_>; Gawd, the writers could've made this episode so much better. However, I'm glad he had a Claydol. :D

Well when it was in the battling against Claydol Sceptile had absorbed the sunlight then it had a flash back of Venusaur charging up for Solar beam and then Sceptile launched the attack.
I'm 99.9% sure that was Ash having the flashback, and realising Sceptile was about to learn Solarbeam.

ghost master
18th February 2006, 1:56 PM
Also, why did they have to give Spencer Shiftry and Venusaur?! Why not Rapidash and Vileplume? Or Typhlosion and Nidoking? >_>; Gawd, the writers could've made this episode so much better. However, I'm glad he had a Claydol. The writers have been doing this through all of the facilities. They always come up with different themes for the facilities. They also come up with pokemon to fit the theme. What annoyed me though was that he actually owned a Crobat and Slaking and they worked perfectly with the jungle theme. At least they brought back heracross like people were hoping for. Also i see what you mean after looking back at some pics.

Alfonso
18th February 2006, 1:56 PM
Oh heck yeah it was strong! Heracross gave all that it could. I generally chalk stuff like this up to writer influence though. Heracross could have been paired up against Shiftry and lost just the same if that's what they had decided. And I guess, that's what bugs me the most, that they went ahead and gave Heracross the difficult round. Poor guy.

Heh, bugs.

It's funny because Heracross is a bug.

As for Spenser's team... I don't know, I kinda liked it. Claydol is always awesome. As is Venusaur, even though we only just saw one. Shifry is kinda meh though. As for the suggested replacements, we recently saw Vileplume in the egg episode... not only that, what would it have to offer but Solar Beam?

Because we all love Solar Beam.

Love love love. All the way down.

Lost Angel_Setsuna
18th February 2006, 2:54 PM
Maybe it's just me, but isn't Tetsuya's Sceptile's solarbeam different from the Ash's one? I refer to the body parts glowing... tail (tetsuya's one) bulbs (ash's one)...

CyberCubed
18th February 2006, 2:59 PM
Maybe it's just me, but isn't Tetsuya's Sceptile's solarbeam different from the Ash's one? I refer to the body parts glowing... tail (tetsuya's one) bulbs (ash's one)...

The writers/animators always put extra effort into Ash's Pokemon and their attacks over the minor characters. Probably to make his look "cooler."

jolteonjak
18th February 2006, 3:30 PM
Sorry about the speculation here, but what are the chances of Sceptile's Solar Beam being a one-time deal? And future attempts give it problems (like Snorunt's Ice Beam)?

Almighty Zard
18th February 2006, 4:12 PM
Sorry about the speculation here, but what are the chances of Sceptile's Solar Beam being a one-time deal? And future attempts give it problems (like Snorunt's Ice Beam)?

-_-...........Sceptile seems to have the move down even for a first time usage, one of the main reasons in my opinion that Snorunt had troubles mastering Ice beam was because it was too playful and never seemed to care to much about training, Sceptile is down right serious about everything it does, and i seriously doubt that this move will be a one time deal, though it might be scarcely used like Pikachu's Volt Tackle, it will be used again.

ChaosMage
18th February 2006, 4:19 PM
At least Leaf Blade (at least going by the intro) is still its signature move. And I'm sure Bullet Seed will still be used, as it's better than Solar Beam in faster, more movement-based battles.

And Cybercubed, how did I know you'd use that avatar?

Joe
18th February 2006, 5:49 PM
And Cybercubed, how did I know you'd use that avatar?
Because he's like that. :p

Hopefully Leaf Blade still is Sceppy's signature move, having a slow-paced, have-to-charge move would get kind of boring. At least with Leaf Blade it's all acrobatic and stuff. :p

we recently saw Vileplume in the egg episode... not only that, what would it have to offer but Solar Beam?
It's a special Vileplume with.......Tickle. >_>;

JazzJazz
18th February 2006, 8:51 PM
The writers/animators always put extra effort into Ash's Pokemon and their attacks over the minor characters. Probably to make his look "cooler."

Could also be done to drag things out and make the episode "longer".

Geodude
18th February 2006, 9:01 PM
Sceptile's certainly got the "balls" to learn Solarbeam. *rimshot*

(Surprised nobody's cracked a joke like this yet. And no, I don't normally talk like that.) :p

ZoraJolteon
18th February 2006, 9:59 PM
Except that these balls are seeds, and therefore useless for photosynthesis :P Still, it makes more sense that Munchlax having the back of its throat full of chlorophyll I suppose.

grem
18th February 2006, 10:48 PM
ok.. here's my output on the episode

i have watching it all of.. hmm 3 times and this is my review

Fierce Fighting! Jungle Battle at the Battle Palace!

wow, this episode has it all. May, Max, Brock and Scott are located in a Hot Air Balloon watching the battle from a TV screen which the floating robot referee captures with a camera on its front.

Shiftry i feel does not last long enough against Ash's Sceptile, Shiftry manages to combine a Double Team with a Shadow Ball to send Sceptile flying. It lands in lake at the bottom of a Waterfall. What i thought was clever here is how Shiftry uses Rock Smash to fill the lake with boulders, trying to crush Sceptile!

But we all know Sceptile and it manages to appear up the top of the Waterfall knocking out Shiftry with a Pound and a Leaf Blade attack.

Ash now withdraws his Sceptile and sends out his Heracross against Spensers Venusaur.. and of Heracross tried to get the pollen from the flower on Venusaur's back adding to the comedy value of the episode.

Heracross puts up a good fight against Venusaur, it manages to get direct hits with Horn Attack and 2 Megahorns, however a very powerful Solarbeam knocks out Heracross, contrary to everyone's belief.

As Ash sends out Swellow to beat down Venusaur, they take a break.. a tree which Venusaur knocked into during its match with heracross contains Nanab Berries.. not Bananas which people have thought them to be.

After the snack Ash flies swellow to the beach where the battle commences.. Venusaur however fails to use a Solarbeam due to the clouds covering the sun and Swellow uses this to its advanage knocking out Venusaur.

Claydol is sent out now, making light work of Swellow with Rapid Spin and Hyper Beam attacks.

Here leads us to Sceptile v Claydol, winner takes all. A thrilling fight, one of my favorite to date..

Claydol cleverly uses Rapid Spin to spurt water at Sceptile and among other things, as im sure you know Sceptile learns Solarbeam.

Sceptile's speed and agility give it a huge advantage in this battle which is finished off with a spectacular Solarbeam from Sceptile.

Team Rocket, as ever play a funny part in this episode, they are following the battle throughout the forest, setting off traps, getting themselves caught in a net, shot at my spikey thorns and twigs and falling into a pit.
they are finished off however by a psybeam from Claydol, which just misses Sceptile and Ash..

Overall this episode is not too bad, i am glad to see the return of Heracross however for the Battle Tower Ash does have a lot of better Pokemon he could use.

I give this episode a steady 8.5/10

~grem D:

CyberCubed
18th February 2006, 11:18 PM
Both 19, both live in the UK, both love fried Combusken?!

What is this, Gravy's long lost twin brother? :o

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
18th February 2006, 11:52 PM
Why do I think we're going to see a new pattern in glowing body parts with new attacks? Solar Beam has Sceptile's balls glowing, and Combusken's Mega Kick has its legs and head feathers glowing.

Sorry, couldn't help laughing at that, even though I know what you mean xD

You have a point, though, ChaosMage. It seems to be a new trend with new moves. Then again, Eevee learned Shadow Ball without the extra effects, so meh. Maybe it's an Ash exclusive thing =/

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

Yamato-san
19th February 2006, 10:21 AM
I'm surprised there haven't been any complaints by Sushi or anyone on the usage of Battle Frontier during the episode (it played when Jukain was using Solar Beam). It was entering the realm of being overused, but I guess that's come to pass since we haven't heard it in an episode since.... what? Donphan's evolution? It's like the thing got replaced by Symphonic Medley for a short while. Not that I'm complaining, BF is still one kickass song (and thank god it wasn't Medley again).

You know, I really loved the cloudey scenary for this episode. Aside from the fact that cloudy skies aren't seen very often in the anime (usually just for plot convenience, like the Fuu & Ran gym battle, the somewhat recent Elekid episode, or even this episode), they just looked very nice this time around.

Man, Solar Beam's pretty spiffy on Jukain. At first, I agreed with Gravy that it didn't match his fighting style, but I guess that fear came to pass when Satoshi commanded him to dodge while charging, doing so successfully, and then unleashing a damn powerful-looking beam, slightly different in design from Gonbe's version. Overall, not so bad in the end. And how about Oosubame's battle? Interesting how the tides have turned.... over the years, Satoshi has went up against Double Teamers, and one particular strategy that he used was having his Fushigidane go around and hit all of them with Vine Whip (actually, this strategy may've come up several times, with different Pokemon using different projectiles, but I can't remember). Now, he's using a Double Teamer himself, a Fushigibana uses that same strategy, but instead of subcoming to the attack, Oosubame just flies around the vine and delivers a blow. Gotta love the little speed-demon ^^. Whoever suggested him getting boxed is friggin nuts, I say. Oh, and he's not all Aerial Ace. He uses Peck from time to time (but I am baffled as to where the hell Wing Attack went).

I share everyone's sentiments on Heracross. At least he put up a good fight, and we got him return along with that nectar-sucking habit of his.

Korobooshi Kojiro
19th February 2006, 11:57 AM
ok.. here's my output on the episode

i have watching it all of.. hmm 3 times and this is my review

Fierce Fighting! Jungle Battle at the Battle Palace!

wow, this episode has it all. May, Max, Brock and Scott are located in a Hot Air Balloon watching the battle from a TV screen which the floating robot referee captures with a camera on its front.

Shiftry i feel does not last long enough against Ash's Sceptile, Shiftry manages to combine a Double Team with a Shadow Ball to send Sceptile flying. It lands in lake at the bottom of a Waterfall. What i thought was clever here is how Shiftry uses Rock Smash to fill the lake with boulders, trying to crush Sceptile!

But we all know Sceptile and it manages to appear up the top of the Waterfall knocking out Shiftry with a Pound and a Leaf Blade attack.

Ash now withdraws his Sceptile and sends out his Heracross against Spensers Venusaur.. and of Heracross tried to get the pollen from the flower on Venusaur's back adding to the comedy value of the episode.

Heracross puts up a good fight against Venusaur, it manages to get direct hits with Horn Attack and 2 Megahorns, however a very powerful Solarbeam knocks out Heracross, contrary to everyone's belief.

As Ash sends out Swellow to beat down Venusaur, they take a break.. a tree which Venusaur knocked into during its match with heracross contains Nanab Berries.. not Bananas which people have thought them to be.

After the snack Ash flies swellow to the beach where the battle commences.. Venusaur however fails to use a Solarbeam due to the clouds covering the sun and Swellow uses this to its advanage knocking out Venusaur.

Claydol is sent out now, making light work of Swellow with Rapid Spin and Hyper Beam attacks.

Here leads us to Sceptile v Claydol, winner takes all. A thrilling fight, one of my favorite to date..

Claydol cleverly uses Rapid Spin to spurt water at Sceptile and among other things, as im sure you know Sceptile learns Solarbeam.

Sceptile's speed and agility give it a huge advantage in this battle which is finished off with a spectacular Solarbeam from Sceptile.

Team Rocket, as ever play a funny part in this episode, they are following the battle throughout the forest, setting off traps, getting themselves caught in a net, shot at my spikey thorns and twigs and falling into a pit.
they are finished off however by a psybeam from Claydol, which just misses Sceptile and Ash..

Overall this episode is not too bad, i am glad to see the return of Heracross however for the Battle Tower Ash does have a lot of better Pokemon he could use.

I give this episode a steady 8.5/10

~grem D:

Is that you Gravy? Have you become a mod?

Anyway, does Ash say anything about Heracross at the end?

grem
19th February 2006, 1:32 PM
Is that you Gravy? Have you become a mod?

Anyway, does Ash say anything about Heracross at the end?

wtf D:

im grem D: not Gravy.. andno he doesnt say anything about Heracross at the end. i think with heracross it's going to be the sameas what happened with Snorlax it will be sent back and we wont see it again :(

~grem

Almighty Zard
19th February 2006, 2:39 PM
Man, Solar Beam's pretty spiffy on Jukain. At first, I agreed with Gravy that it didn't match his fighting style, but I guess that fear came to pass when Satoshi commanded him to dodge while charging, doing so successfully, and then unleashing a damn powerful-looking beam, slightly different in design from Gonbe's version. Overall, not so bad in the end.

like i said earlier the writers can find ways to incorperate moves into a pokemons fighting style, though i still can't understand why some people are still complaining about it so much, and i gotta say that Sceptile using it is way better than Bulbasaur could ever hope to be.

And how about Oosubame's battle? Interesting how the tides have turned.... over the years, Satoshi has went up against Double Teamers, and one particular strategy that he used was having his Fushigidane go around and hit all of them with Vine Whip (actually, this strategy may've come up several times, with different Pokemon using different projectiles, but I can't remember). Now, he's using a Double Teamer himself, a Fushigibana uses that same strategy, but instead of subcoming to the attack, Oosubame just flies around the vine and delivers a blow. Gotta love the little speed-demon ^^. Whoever suggested him getting boxed is friggin nuts, I say. Oh, and he's not all Aerial Ace. He uses Peck from time to time (but I am baffled as to where the hell Wing Attack went).

I'm willing to put money down that even if the vines hit, Swellow would've just shrugged it off and still won, he is a juggernaut after all, as for Wing Attack, maybe Ash doesn't want to use it ever agian after what happened in the winona battle, but that's just my opinion.

I share everyone's sentiments on Heracross. At least he put up a good fight, and we got him return along with that nectar-sucking habit of his.

i will admit he should've picked up a win but this just goes to show the writers didn't want the "reserves are always gonna win theroy." to make the battle facility matches predictable when a reserve is used.

Gravy
19th February 2006, 3:09 PM
Personally, I think this was the best Frontier concept to date. It may not match the game's idea fully, but watching the pokémon having to adapt to different environments was quite inspired.
Claydol using the sand and surf in tandem with it's Rapid Spin, or Ash leading Venusaur to a wide open area to take full advantage of Swellow's speed and power attacks for example. It's quite a shame that they haven't done anything like this for past battles.

The animation wasn't the best, but I found a lot of the maneuvers to be really impressive. For example, Shiftry and Sceptile sprinting alongside each other and bounding off trees to increase their speed. Y'know, I had to smile when I saw Sceptile running through the forest on Scott's monitor. There's still a Grovyle in there, thats for sure.
Swellow too had some nice examples of agility going on, but then again, Swellow has never, NEVER failed to impress. Someone needs to make an animation of it weaving in and out of Venusaur's Vine Whip onslaught through the forest. The was sheer brilliance. As was it's Double team useage. It's like the guy didn't even have to try to avoid the oncoming attacks. Sweeped across that one Vine whip with ease before delivering a heavy blow. Great stuff.

Its still rather irritating that Heracross had to take a fall, but (not to sound like a broken record) it put put up a fairly good fight, so thankfully it wasn't too bad.
Though I would like to say that, whilst watching Heracross batttle, it became clear that the poor guy is in dire need of an additional move or two. All it was doing for the entire match was repeatedly hitting it's opponent with its horn, bar a single tackle attack. Now, I'm not one of those few that think there's a possibility of him sticking around after this battle, but if he does, it would certainly be a good idea to give him something new to toy with.
I was also surprised to see that Ash didn't order Heracross use said horn to lift Venusaur into the air and throw it, which is what the species is known for.

I'm still not impressed with Solarbeam. I've seen it far too many times before to actually give a damn and seeing it used once after Sceptile took a severe beating isn't enough to convince me otherwise. I'll give it a chance, but...yeah. I still stand by what I've been saying for so long.
But I can't deny the battle against Claydol was fun to watch.

And what the hell was up with Spenser trying to bury Sceptile under the waterfall with a ton of boulders? That seemed like an unnesessarily risky move. I mean geez, if Sceptile hadn't have managed to avoid them, he would have most certainly drowned down there.

But on a lighter note. Shiftry's voice ftw. You can always get a laugh out of it.
'DAAAaaaaAAAAaa!'

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
19th February 2006, 5:23 PM
Wow this episode was pretty awsome. I guess my favourite battles in this saga would have to be the Battle Dome and Palace. I never saw a Claydol before so this was a treat for me. It's voice kinda freaked me out. I think Claydol is pretty awsome with all those explosions it has with it.

Heracross did pretty and I really liked the ending scene with it. I'm not quite used to Swellow yet but when it avoided Vensaurs vines that was pretty cool. I also liked watching it eat the berry.

Ahh yes, Sceptile. He put up an amzing fight with Claydol. I hope we see more Claydols cause that guys a blast. I guess the balls on Sceptiles back got him somwhere but I'm still a bit sketchy on them. A great episode overall for me.

Heracross
19th February 2006, 5:35 PM
But on a lighter note. Shiftry's voice ftw. You can always get a laugh out of it.
'DAAAaaaaAAAAaa!'
I didn't even notice that the first time around. It sounded like Homer Simpson when it was using double team. lmao XD

Pokeballs
20th February 2006, 8:54 AM
I didn't even notice that the first time around. It sounded like Homer Simpson when it was using double team. lmao XD
LOL I had the exact same thought

Doh DOh Doh DoH DOh Doh DOh Doh!

ya good stuff...

That scene of Swellow dodging the Vine Whips right before the beach was superb, I concur we need an animation of that XD

as for swellow's wing attack... it's in the same place as Donphan's Hidden Power

Brinstar
22nd February 2006, 7:23 AM
Man that Claydol sounded scary. "Nen.... NEN!!!"

This was my favorite Frontier Brain match. This battle made me wish Glalie was still around though, he would've totally stomped *** here.

Poké_Master
23rd February 2006, 1:37 AM
Maybe it'll come back next time along with Cyndaquil (not confirmed)

skarmachild
3rd March 2006, 2:41 PM
In my opinion that was the best battle episode I've ever seen. From when Sceptile jumps up from the waterfall and K.O's Sihftry to the awesome bit when he learns solarbeam and owns the Claydol. The music went in at the best times and it totally owns the previous battle eps. Though when it was Heracross v Venesaur, that wasn't all that exciting.

The animation wasn't the bets as Gravy said, but they do make great use of the environment. And it was awesome with Swellow evading the vinewhips, lovely animation going on there. Swellows agility was awesome avoiding, but because Venusaur isn't exactly the speedy type it didn't do much to dodge. An awesome bit was when Sceptile was flung out of the tornado from Claydol, it tries to stand up and it's looking all evil with water/thunder and awesome music playing. One of the best Kanto (AG)eps so far.

Sceptile Warrior
20th March 2006, 1:12 AM
I would have preffered if Sceptile learned a different move than solar beam but other than that it was a good episode.

Blazken
20th March 2006, 1:58 AM
Me 2 but what other grass move could he learn?

HoennMaster
20th March 2006, 2:39 AM
Cut? Solarbeam was a good move for it to learn

Kabuto
20th March 2006, 4:15 AM
Solar Beam is cool looking on Sceptile. I'm glad he learned it after all.

The Flat World
20th March 2006, 2:46 PM
Is it just me or was the Sceptile vs Claydol battle a tad boring? I preferred Sceptile's battle with Shiftry to this. In a Grovyle/Sceptile battle, no leaft blade = no fun. :( Which is why I also disliked Grovyle vs Metagross in the Hoenn league.

Me 2 but what other grass move could he learn?
Hmm... not much. Abosrb/Giga drain would look too violent and therefore wouldn't be shown in the anime. Leech seed was an option, but I prefer Solarbeam.

Blazken
20th March 2006, 2:52 PM
HoennMaster
Soul Trainer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cut? Solarbeam was a good move for it to learn

But cut would look the same as leaf Blad

Gravy
20th March 2006, 3:05 PM
Is it just me or was the Sceptile vs Claydol battle a tad boring? I preferred Sceptile's battle with Shiftry to this. In a Grovyle/Sceptile battle, no leaft blade = no fun. :( Which is why I also disliked Grovyle vs Metagross in the Hoenn league.
It wouldn't have been able to use Leaf Blade anyway. Claydol would have simply teleported out of harm's way, rendering Sceptile's speed and melee attacks worthless.
The battle itself was good regardless however. Claydol proved itself to be a major obstacle and produced some decent move combinations throughout.

Hmm... not much. Abosrb/Giga drain would look too violent and therefore wouldn't be shown in the anime. Leech seed was an option, but I prefer Solarbeam.
I don't see how. It's not like either move has to involve a bite or a wound to inflict damage. They could simply have the pokémon latch onto the opponent and absorb their energy via hands or vines.

~Flareon~
25th March 2006, 5:20 AM
I really like this episode. It was cool that Sceptile regains its old moves. And Ash is facing off against the Battle Palace leader, Spenser. I know that Ash's Sceptile learns a new attack, Solarbeam.
This is the battle Ash's Pokemons won or lost:
Sceptile VS Shiftry: Sceptile wins
Heracross VS Venusaur: Venusaur wins
Venusaur VS Swellow: Swellow wins
Swellow VS Claydol: Claydol wins
Claydol VS Sceptile: Sceptile wins

And Ash won the battle and gets a Skill Symbol.

lightspeed
6th April 2006, 2:02 PM
I love this episode, Sceptile was awesome, it did really well in the battles. The battle between Sceptile and Claydol was amazing, especially when Sceptile used solarbeam, its solarbeam was really powerful. This episode is one of my favourite episodes.

Ashy Boy
15th April 2006, 6:03 PM
It was good to see Heracross back in action even though he lost.

GoGoPokemom
5th July 2006, 8:59 PM
But I prefer to see Kanto Starter Venusaur vs Houen Starter Sceptile . Now that would be an awesome battle , cause we have seen Kanto Starter Charizard against Houen Starter Blaziken . A fight between Venusaur and Sceptile would be pretty much like Strength vs Speed

deathseer
13th July 2006, 3:26 AM
Heracross did put up a good fight against Venasaur.But it took a direct hit Solarbeam right in front of it.Considering a move that strong hit it that hard any pokemon could get ko'ed.Ash's Sceptile learning Solarbeam wasn't a surprise to me.A strong pokemon like Sceptile learning a powerful move like solarbeam is perfect.it may not suit its style but who cares.I would like to see Heracross battle again in later battles.

WaterDragon trainer
11th November 2006, 12:00 AM
Just saw this episode in the US. This episode was great. Jimero was weird. The running around during the battle was cool. It was cool to see Ash's Heracross again as well as seeing a Megahorn attack. All the pokemon in the battle were great. It was cool to see Sceptile learn Solarbeam. It was funny to see TR fall for all those traps.

Almighty Zard
11th November 2006, 12:02 AM
rather good episode i loved the sound effects at some points especially when Claydol went flying after being solarbeamed

ShinyManafi
11th November 2006, 12:02 AM
Just saw it, wow!, It was great, I liked how Ash's Heracross knew Megahorn and rammed it into Venusaur, and Sceptile pwned Claydol with Solarbeam

S.Suikun
11th November 2006, 3:06 AM
Okay...what was up with that calm piece of BGM that played when Sceptile was charging Solar Beam? I know Battle Frontier played in the Japanese version during that scene, so I expected the dub to use something energetic to replace it, like Advance Adventure. But this was like a slow piece, which I felt was really inapporpriate. About half of the rest of the music was kept, if I recall correctly.

For the record, I only keep the best of the best episodes on my computer, and this is one of them. (To show how high my standards are, I only have 10 from the entirety of BF, and one from DP.)

BattleFranky~40
11th November 2006, 3:08 AM
Let me guess... that D/P episode would be Pochama Hangs On!, correct?

Anyways, damn good episode.

S.Suikun
11th November 2006, 3:13 AM
Let me guess... that D/P episode would be Pochama Hangs On!, correct?
Actually, it's the Greggle episode. I've already replayed the ending five times today.

chosen_one386
11th November 2006, 3:51 AM
I liked this match. The running around and action in the forest made for a nice battle. One of the best Frontier Brain battles... BF is sure looking good...

Darkness Angel
11th November 2006, 7:23 AM
I guess I'll check the repeat whenever it's on.

Medea
11th November 2006, 11:09 AM
Repeat on Saturday morning.

Good, saw it last night so I don't have to tape a damn thing while I'm at work today. Anyways, it was a pretty good episode. And a pretty good battle. It was something very...unpredictable. Something I haven't seen since the good old times of the Orange Islands (nuts to all of you who hate the Orange Islands). Heracross's return! SPLEE! But then got knocked out! UGH/Oy Vey!

And that's about it.

The_Mighty_Medicham
11th November 2006, 2:01 PM
I thought this episode was quite good. The effects of them running through the jungle was nice. I loved the glorious return of Pound. No, seriously. All Ash ever calls for is Leaf Blade, Bullet Seed, and Quick Attack. It's nice to see an old move back. Also, it might have been my imagination, but did Ash say "I got me a Spirit Symbol" at the end?

crobatman
11th November 2006, 3:02 PM
Yes he did! I loved the sandstorm attack from claydol!

SOS! Its Not Healthy..
11th November 2006, 7:47 PM
This was actually the best frontier battle yet on the series. It was entertaining to watch, and the Pokemon use the whole island to battle on which made a nice touch on the battle. Spenser reminds me of Siddhartha from a book I read a year ago, it was a simliar vision I had of him.

And to add on, the voices were really great which made this episode better.

jolteonjak
12th November 2006, 12:13 AM
I said it before, and I'll say it again, this battle would have been much better if Heracross took something out before fainting. I'm so damn sick of Swellow.

Hikozaru390
12th November 2006, 12:51 AM
Way to completely make one of Ash's best Johto Pokémon look like a pansy, anime producers. Way. To. Go.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
12th November 2006, 12:56 AM
I said it before, and I'll say it again, this battle would have been much better if Heracross took something out before fainting. I'm so damn sick of Swellow.

I like Swellow a lot, but I do have to agree. Regardless of how cool Swellow's win was, it has been awesome in its run, and will continue to be awesome until it leaves. Heracross appears only every now and then, sadly, so this should've been its chance to prove that it's still good ._.

?*V Tsun*?
The 8th Champion

CrimsonX
12th November 2006, 12:59 AM
Best battle ever! Everyones VA's were excellent use to all of them. The worst thing was Heracrosses moveset:
Pound
Horn Attack
Tackle
Megahorn

Sheesh...

Almighty Zard
12th November 2006, 3:02 AM

gotta admit though it's your and everyone elses fault for constantly saying "Venusaur is gonna own Swellow, then lose to Heracross" when in fact the opposite happened

CyberCubed
12th November 2006, 3:42 AM
Haha, people are complaining about Sceptile learning Solarbeam in the earlier posts of this thread when this ep came out in Japan.

Wow, looking back, it goes to show you how stupid some of the things were that we complained about. Sceptile used Solarbeam, what, like two more times after this episode before it was Oak'd? Honestly, who gives a damn.

Geodude
12th November 2006, 7:49 AM
It really was a great battle. And I think this would be a good episode to show off the "realistic" battles we see in the show as opposed to the math-based ones in the games, and how many factors can come into play when you're dealing with many other things than just numbers and types.

This episode also reinforced the fact that Sceptile is Ash's most badass Pokemon EVER. I even liked the job they did with its dub voice, it had almost as much growling as the Japanese version.

Pika Hikari KT
12th November 2006, 8:38 AM
This episode also reinforced the fact that Sceptile is Ash's most badass Pokemon EVER.
Never mess with the banchou type Pokémon.;) I wonder if Corphish ever called him 'aniki' in Poké-speak...XD

jolteonjak
12th November 2006, 5:32 PM
gotta admit though it's your and everyone elses fault for constantly saying "Venusaur is gonna own Swellow, then lose to Heracross" when in fact the opposite happened

If I remember correctly, no one knew Ash used Heracross until Zorajolteon said so. I believe we were also told at the time that it lost to Venusaur. If only the little darling remembered its Scope Lens. lol

papote
12th November 2006, 8:28 PM
ash heracross is week because asolar been cant do that

papote
12th November 2006, 8:32 PM
ha elite four that way y be losing to a scarmory o men?

Geodude
12th November 2006, 9:07 PM

1. Learn to spell.

2. Don't double-post.

3. No, that's not necessarily the case. Heracross is a good battler, Venusaur was simply stronger.

Almighty Zard
12th November 2006, 9:48 PM
3. No, that's not necessarily the case. Heracross is a good battler, Venusaur was simply stronger.

there's also the fact that it was neglected alot and didn't get much training in period

Sato
12th November 2006, 9:58 PM

What? Ash's Heracross is seven days because beans can't come from the sun? >_>

Anyway, as Geodude said: learn to spell, don't double post and Heracross is awesome.

Geodude
13th November 2006, 2:57 AM
there's also the fact that it was neglected alot and didn't get much training in period

Then explain how it beat a Magmar in the Silver Conference. Forgot about that didn't you? Therefore, your statement is false.

Neo Mario
13th November 2006, 1:57 PM
WOW the spirit symbol

Almighty Zard
13th November 2006, 6:46 PM
Then explain how it beat a Magmar in the Silver Conference. Forgot about that didn't you? Therefore, your statement is false.

who knows, think about this if Magmar had to literally jump into a fire blast to do damage means it could've been just as weak and neglected by Gary

TotodileCharizard
13th November 2006, 11:47 PM
I saw it! YAY SCEPTILE! lol sinced I missed Cutting the Ties That Bind *cries and cuts self* Anyways, Sceptile was awesome in this episode. yeah. That's my whole thing about it. It was nice to see Swellow again, lol I only watch episodes that I know that have Sceptile in it lol

CyberCubed
14th November 2006, 2:07 AM
This is Swellow's last real battle in the series, isn't it?

S.Suikun
14th November 2006, 2:12 AM
In terms of major battles, yes, but it still has a few more good fights in some fillers.

wobbanut
15th November 2006, 1:03 AM
Best. Frontier. Battle. YET. :) Of course I'm not judging the remaining five until I see them. This episode was pretty awesome start to finish, and it was nice that it was a little different in that it took place over a large area.

My two cents:

-- Okay, anybody else surprised that they left Meowth's near-neutering... um, intact (pardon the pun)? :D I have the feeling that if it had been 4Kids doing this episode, they would have, er, cut out the closeup. I like 4Kids *and* PUsa, but I still can't help wondering. That scene was friggin' HILARIOUS. :D
-- On a related note, Team Rocket getting caught in their own traps three times was funny too.
-- Best line: Meowth (after the scene): "Maybe we all have some self-hatred issues." :D
-- I may not be a fan of Heracross, but it was funny to see the Bulbasaur running gag again, even if it was with Venosaur.
-- Seeing Sceptile learn a new attack after regaining its old attacks was great. It also seems like it's been a long time since we've seen pound, I don't know why.
-- Team Twerp in a balloon and Team Rocket never in one- that's just odd. Cool camera/referee gizmo too.

Overall, 10/10.

Horn Drill
18th November 2006, 5:13 PM
This was a good and interesting episode, but it was a bit of a disappointment that Heracross had such a weak showing. They said that Spenser's Venusaur was strong, but they should've given a more reasonable background for why it could survive for so long. It completely pwned Heracross, all while getting hit by two Megahorns, a Fury Attack, and a Tackle iirc. It also was slammed hard into a tree by one Megahorn, but it seemed to shrug off all of these hits like nothing. Heracross was also KOed by a Solarbeam, which was a bit silly. I think that was only the second hit Heracross had taken.

Anyway, Venusaur is a good Pokemon, but Spenser's was unrealistically strong IMO, and Heracross didn't get enough screentime.

Pacman
21st November 2006, 4:56 PM
A interesting episode.

Jorah
26th November 2006, 3:51 PM
Just watched it! I thought it was a great battle and it was nice to see Heracross again, but it was a shame that it was only in for about a minute. It didn't seem to take much damage from Tackle, but was killed by Solarbeam. That Claydol was pretty good, shame that Rapid Spin doesn't do that much damage in the games. It was nice to hear some new music.

Knight_Ram
27th November 2006, 2:07 AM
This episode was a good and quick gym battle. I liked the battle because i knew that it wouldn't take so long for ash to beat the leader. And that it was a long waited return of his Heracross! That was proberbly the best thing in the episode for me and the lil bit where he was sucking all that nector from Venusaur! And the great bit where we saw Sceptile so Solarbeam! Great move! And for its first go it just happens to do it with no problems? Well thats still pretty good! 8.5/10 for me! Great!

CabbyFish
27th November 2006, 2:24 AM
This was a good episode. Seeing Sceptile using all of its attacks again in an offical battle and owning is good on Sceptiles part. Ash seems to show more and more emotion as episodes go by, and it wasn't as flat this time. Whoever's voicing Sceptile is doing a good job.

Ashy Boy
7th March 2007, 4:04 PM
I've seen the ep a couple of times and I'm not sure if Heracross's voice has changed or stayed the same.

Desert Flower
7th May 2007, 8:11 AM
Claydol looks as cuddly as ever. And that wasn't sarcasm. Yes, I'm strange.

I was really impressed with its combinations. Using Rapid Spin to create a faux Sandstorm was pretty good, and mixing it with rain and rocks to cause even more damage was candy for the eyes. But then I'm a fan of Sandstorm. Hence my username. And Rapid Spin combined with Psybeam was great too. I only wish the games allowed us to combine moves like that.

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 10:08 PM
This was a good episode. Finally get to see some of Heracross again. ^_^ Excellent.

Rommath
2nd February 2009, 12:30 PM
Nice episode. One of the better Brain battles in my opinion. When I first saw this in mid-2007 I liked it, and I've watched it again just recently and it's still good. I'm glad they bought back Heracross for the ep, its battle with Venusaur was good.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 11:37 AM
i enjoyed watching this episode, the solar beam was a nice sight to look at.

Littlemyuu
21st June 2009, 10:51 PM
Nice episodes, Frontier episodes are the best to watch ^^

Ash-kid
12th August 2009, 5:04 PM
It was too easy to beat Shiftry, Sceptile was very smart in this battle. Spenser's pokemon was strong, but Ash handled with them preety good.

kingkoopa1080
14th August 2009, 7:10 AM
It was cool seeing heracross return although having him lose was pretty lame. Sceptile just keeps getting better and better.

Surfer_Dude
26th October 2009, 9:43 AM
Loved it at the end when Sceptile solarbeamed solrock.
It was pretty cool.

Lorde
20th November 2009, 3:28 AM
I loved seeing Heracross in action again since you know any episode with it will be pretty good. I also liked that the trainers (Spenser and Ash) actually did something other than simply give commands to their Pokemon. Running around gave the episode some action which is something we really need more of in Pokemon. It was a nice addition to a great battle. 9/10 for the innovative battle.

Painkiller2001
13th December 2010, 5:40 PM
Oh my god! Claydol cursed YTV!
Seriously, as soon as Claydol appeared on screen, YtV started going all... static-y and crackly? Did this happen to anyone else?

Anyway, this has got to be (so far) the best BF Brain battle! The Sceptile versus Claydol battle was my favorite!

I'm so happy Sceptile learned Solar Beam!

I'm definitely liking Sceptile more every episode he's in!

Silly Heracross! Sap is for Venusaur!

Lance The Champ
17th December 2010, 9:52 AM
Sceptile was brilliant.... learning Solar Beam and when Claydol took the blow it looked like Solarbeam did a critical hit

G50
26th April 2011, 3:07 PM
This episode was very cool. It was great to see Sceptile learn Solarbeam. It's great to have Heracross back for this episode. Unfortunately Heracross didn't win a battle in this episode, but the battle against Venusaur was very good. Swellow did well against Venusaur, but got knocked out by Claydol. It was very cool and odd that the rest of the gang rode in a Balloon and watched a flying judge/screen/camera robot with the battle showing. It was interesting how mid-battle they stopped to eat bananas. I'm glad Ash won his 5th Frontier Symbol.

82/100

Vernikova
14th September 2012, 8:45 PM
That was a pretty unique battle but I feel it was limited due to Ash and boring Frontier brain slowing the Pokemon down.

TheSirPeras
29th September 2012, 10:26 AM
This battle was awesome, I love how they went out to the jungle and battled! It was good to see Heracross back, and good to see Swellow get another win.

Dawn+Serena Fan
3rd July 2013, 9:27 PM
This was a really great episode. I like how they put a twist on the battle and had it outdoors, using the forest and beach as the battle field. The battle was pretty good too, with Sceptile learning solarbeam and getting the most focus it needed in this battle.

PokemontrainerY
3rd July 2013, 10:41 PM
This was a nice episode, Ash and Spenser's battle was cool. Sceptile learning Solarbeam was awsome. It was great to see Heracross, but sadly he didn't got any win against Spenser.