PDA

View Full Version : New Ranger Updates

Coronis
16th February 2006, 12:03 PM
The official site has been updated with some new Ranger info, introducing some new areas as well as additional explanation on 'capturing' pokemons. Find the pictures here (http://www.pokemon.co.jp/game/ds/ranger.html) if you know how to navigate through Japanese words.

Places:
Previously, we know that the region this time is called Fiore, and two places have been revealed: Fall City and Ring Town. This time, two (essentially three) more locations are revealed.

1) Summer Land - a famous tourist spot intermingling ancient ruins and jungles. Its olive green jungles are inhabited by unique species of pokemons and plants. At its center, the ruins are a good place for rangers to test their skills.

2) Shikura Mountains and Win (Wind) Town - Shikura Mountains are the mountains on the northern border of Fiore. On its top is the ancient Fiore Sacred Shrine which door is always closed. At the foot of this mountain range is the Win (Wind) Town (the exact katakana translates as Win, but in a way it can be interpreted as Wind as well since it is followed by the syllable Ta in Town). People in this town live in houses built in stones that can withstand the cold.

New Characters:
The evil organization is revealed to be Team GoGo. The mysterious man and woman described previously are the grunts of Team GoGo, while in this update, the organization's four admins, Mirai, Yuuki, Yarai, Youji (from left to right on the picture), are displayed.

On the good guy's side, two new ranger leaders have been revealed. The purple haired woman in a veil is called Erida, and she's the leader of the Win (Wind) Town rangers, her city mark being a blue letter W, and her leader emblem bearing the letter L like all leaders. She's described to possess capture styles that are cool and hot.

The chubby guy is named Kamuri, who's the ranger leader of Summer Town, an easy going guy. His city symbol is a red coloured S, and his emblem, again, with the L letter.

Ring Town's ranger leader, Hayate, who was revealed last time, has a yellow R as the city symbol. Since your character hails from the same place, you will have the same city symbol and emblem colour. Fall City's leader, Joe, has a green F as the city symbol, so as his top ranger, Aria, who from what I see is a class 5 ranger.

Capture Assist:
In the last update, we know that there are different coloured Capture Disks. It is revealed this time that they are used for lending one pokemon's powers to capture another one.

The disks are categorized by the pokemon types, i.e. blue for water type, red for fire, green for grass, and so on. We don't know all the colours yet but ice type is purple according to the video.

As you progress further into the game, certain wild pokemons will be almost impossible to capture because they keep attacking (remember that pokemon attacks destory your capture lines). So what you do is, find a suitable pokemon in your party (meaning pokemons you have recruited but have not really lent their help yet), preferrably one with an advantageous type, and select the Capture Disk of its type.

Different types of disks do different things. According to the video, for grass type capture disks, your capture lines will turn into bushes which resist water attacks, so you can capture a water pokemon easily. Fire disks do similar things, while water disks create bubbles to trap the wild pokemon temporarily, and ice disks freezes them.

It is unknown whether Capture Assist is counted as help lending, that means we still don't know if the pokemon you seek help from to capture another will go away after this process.

Coronis~

Pixol
16th February 2006, 1:35 PM
When you start the game, does the Male character own a Minun and the female character own a Plusle? Because I have noticed that with every picture that includes the characters, also, they (Plusle and Minun) show up differently on the map thingy that indicates where Pokemon are.

AV_ROcK-Dark-TB
16th February 2006, 2:27 PM
When you start the game, does the Male character own a Minun and the female character own a Plusle? Because I have noticed that with every picture that includes the characters, also, they (Plusle and Minun) show up differently on the map thingy that indicates where Pokemon are.
I've also noticed that I think It goes that way but I'm not sure>_<
well as for ranger I might get that game(at first I thought that was going to be boring>_>)well I'm getting quite intreasted^^

Pixol
16th February 2006, 3:23 PM
well as for ranger I might get that game(at first I thought that was going to be boring>_>)well I'm getting quite intreasted^^

I couldn't agree more. At first, I thought it looked rather boring but as time has gone by, I have begun to like it even more. I was worried that if MD doesn't come out in the UK there would be nothing to replace it, but if that is the case, I think this is the game that can!!! Besides, I will get it even if MD does come out! :D

(Oh, and thanks for agreeing, nice to know I'm not the only one that noticed that! Thought I was going crazy!)

Neo-Dragon
16th February 2006, 3:40 PM
Thanks for that information Coronis. The gameplay looks alot more intresting after watching the vids of the different disc/pokemon in action. I plan on getting this game when it arrives to US(or UK- its all unversial) shores.
Quick question, is it Ranger that is slated for a japanese release in march?

Char1016
16th February 2006, 5:14 PM
A few weeks ago, I thought that MD is far better than Ranger, but now, looking all these things for Ranger, I get more interested.

AV_ROcK-Dark-TB
16th February 2006, 7:54 PM
I couldn't agree more. At first, I thought it looked rather boring but as time has gone by, I have begun to like it even more. I was worried that if MD doesn't come out in the UK there would be nothing to replace it, but if that is the case, I think this is the game that can!!! Besides, I will get it even if MD does come out! :D

(Oh, and thanks for agreeing, nice to know I'm not the only one that noticed that! Thought I was going crazy!)
lol that's good to know:D

JazzJazz
16th February 2006, 8:43 PM
Quick question, is it Ranger that is slated for a japanese release in march?

I think so, around the 23rd or something...

Char1016
16th February 2006, 8:47 PM
I saw it in the official web site, somewhere it says March-22-2006, somewhere March-23-2006. One of these days.

ghost master
16th February 2006, 8:56 PM
Cool info. I'm starting to think that manaphy/manafi is going to play a somewhat important role and team gogo will probally be the equivalent to team magma in ruby. One question how many pokemon may we hold onto. Can we only borrow one pokemon and if we want another one we use the assist to help capture the pokemon or we can we borrow more than one pokemon at a time. It's cool that there are 4 different ranger teams. I hope we find new info soon.

Zoramon089
16th February 2006, 9:51 PM
Where are the videos? I wanna see too

Californian_DJ
16th February 2006, 10:28 PM
I am getting more and more excited about this game...I hope they will use the style of Ranger for D/P too, because I like it. (the graphical style I mean)

AV_ROcK-Dark-TB
17th February 2006, 8:33 AM
I am getting more and more excited about this game...I hope they will use the style of Ranger for D/P too, because I like it. (the graphical style I mean)
I also agree with you seeing the style of Ranger I'd love to see the same style used for D/P

Pixol
17th February 2006, 11:56 AM
I guess I agree too, but what about capturing wild Pokemon? I'm not a big fan of the whole walking around in the grass thing, but if it is like Ranger, wont the Pokemon be very few? Because they can't surround the whole area with wild Pokemon. I think we will be seeing the classic long grass again.

Chilled2m7
17th February 2006, 4:24 PM
Ok ok, dare I say it?
A couple of months ago I practically blasted this game along with torezi because of the fact that I thought it was a useless filler. Now that more information comes out about this game.... welll lets just say I'm eating my words. This game looks BEAUTIFUL and the new way of capturing pokemon seems quite fun.
It's certainly on my radar again.

JazzJazz
17th February 2006, 8:57 PM
Ok ok, dare I say it?
A couple of months ago I practically blasted this game along with torezi because of the fact that I thought it was a useless filler. Now that more information comes out about this game.... welll lets just say I'm eating my words. This game looks BEAUTIFUL and the new way of capturing pokemon seems quite fun.
It's certainly on my radar again.

Let's just hope that there's more to it than just the "gimmick" of capturing and using pokemon in a new way... I want to see some decent gameplay as well as game length in this title.

ghost master
17th February 2006, 9:18 PM
I guess I agree too, but what about capturing wild Pokemon? I'm not a big fan of the whole walking around in the grass thing, but if it is like Ranger, wont the Pokemon be very few? Because they can't surround the whole area with wild Pokemon. I think we will be seeing the classic long grass again. I dont think so since we've just seen randomn pokemon walking around and the fact that we have to capture pokemon by using the touch screen to circle the pokemon around with a capture stylus.

Pixol
17th February 2006, 10:28 PM
I was replying to someone asking whether will they have the Pokémon randomly walking around in D/P like Ranger. And I was disagreeing saying I thought they would go back to the old grass technique.

ghost master
17th February 2006, 10:35 PM
I was replying to someone asking whether will they have the Pokémon randomly walking around in D/P like Ranger. And I was disagreeing saying I thought they would go back to the old grass technique. gotcha. sorry about that.

Californian_DJ
17th February 2006, 11:07 PM
no, though the graphics in Ranger are great, and I would love to see them in D/P too, I don't think they should change the way of encountering and catching Pokémon. it has been that way since R/B, and it has always worked great, so why change it?

Ranger isn't a so called main game, like D/P, it's a side game (as I like to call games like ranger, trozei, puzzle challenge, musterious dungeon, etc.) so it works for this game, but I doubt many people will like it in the 4th generation of main games. I certainly think they should stick with the old way (walking through grass, caves (less zubat plz), surfing (less tentacool plz), and stuff like that.

redchesus
17th February 2006, 11:34 PM
Hey Coronis, what is the professor's name again? I think it was in last month's update but I can't find the thread anymore.

ghost master
18th February 2006, 12:55 AM
Ranger isn't a so called main game, like D/P, it's a side game (as I like to call games like ranger, trozei, puzzle challenge, musterious dungeon, etc.) so it works for this game, but I doubt many people will like it in the 4th generation of main games. I certainly think they should stick with the old way (walking through grass, caves (less zubat plz), surfing (less tentacool plz), and stuff like that. I think Ranger is different than the other spin offs. First off it appears that we'll have a thicker plot and it looks like 4th gen. pokemon may have an important role other than the spin offs. Also this spin off is from the makers of pokemon unlike the other spin offs.

Coronis
18th February 2006, 11:03 AM
Hey Coronis, what is the professor's name again? I think it was in last month's update but I can't find the thread anymore.

It's Prof. Shinbara, the top technical advisor of the Ranger Union.

Coronis~

Pixol
18th February 2006, 5:27 PM
gotcha. sorry about that.

Don't worry about it! :)

And, I must say. I think that they should go back to the old walking through grass techniques too. But maybe it would be cool to see some Pokémon about. Like a Pidgeot flying through the air or a Kakuna hanging from a tree. These Pokémon don't necessarily have to be catchable, but it would be nice to see Pokémon interacting with you and each other.

Also, I think they should try to have other trainers on a journey, so everyone doesn't just stand still. It would be nice to find someone walking through a cave whilst you are! Rather than people moaning they are lost but just standing in your way! :P

Ok, I've gone on a bit and this is the wrong place to. So, I'll shut me fat mouth now! :D