PDA

View Full Version : Re-dubbing episodes?

Thriller
17th February 2006, 1:37 AM
I was just thinking, is it possible for 4Kids to go back and redub past episodes? That way, they can alter the Wardens gun in "Legend of Dratini" like they have been doing in One Piece.

Jason Park
17th February 2006, 1:55 AM
Why would 4Kids spend extra money redubbing? I think that's pretty much unlikely and it's kind of late to do that in my opinion. But anything's possible I guess. :)

CyberCubed
17th February 2006, 2:13 AM
There'd be no point, a redub would be 90% the same as the current dub anyway.

The Big Al
17th February 2006, 2:17 AM
I wish. But Cyber's right, it'd basically be the same. Frak 4Kids.

Jesse GS the II
17th February 2006, 3:50 AM
Please. 4Kids is the cheapest dubbing company known to man or machine - there's no way they'll go back and redub episodes they already blew money on eight years ago just so a few dub loyalists can see them paint over a handgun and mutilate another episode.

We're never getting the banned episodes in America. Get over it.

Heracross
17th February 2006, 3:57 AM
I actually enjoyed the dub of the first few seasons. I shudder to think of what they would do to it now.

KuwabaraTheMan
17th February 2006, 4:03 AM
At least these old episodes had pretty much all original music(and at the begining we even got good dub titles, not the horrific puns we've gotten since midway throuh Season 1).

And the days before Eric Stuart started voice Koujirou were glorious indeed.

The dub was actually really good back then. I remember when CN started reairing the old episodes and I was like 'wow, I forgot that this dub used to pretty darn good'.

Heracross
17th February 2006, 4:08 AM
I thought Eric Stuart's James was great back in the day. It was only around early to mid-Jouto when he started to overact all his lines and made him sound awful.

KuwabaraTheMan
17th February 2006, 4:44 AM
I thought Eric Stuart's James was great back in the day. It was only around early to mid-Jouto when he started to overact all his lines and made him sound awful.
Yeah, true, Stuart wasn't awful at first, but he never was as good as Ted Lewis was.

Chris
17th February 2006, 6:36 AM
No thanks. I prefer the closer to original dub that was of early Kanto than the dub we have now.

And I sure as hell don't want to see the warden sporting a super soaker or a toy gun. ;\

Heracross
17th February 2006, 7:24 AM
Yeah, true, Stuart wasn't awful at first, but he never was as good as Ted Lewis was.
Feh, I prefer Miki Shinichirou over them both, so it doesn't really matter.

Gazmof
17th February 2006, 11:26 AM
There'd be no point, a redub would be 90% the same as the current dub anyway.

Agreed. There's not really much you can add to that.

Poké_Master
17th February 2006, 4:18 PM
There's no point in redubbing the episodes

KuwabaraTheMan
17th February 2006, 4:19 PM
Feh, I prefer Miki Shinichirou over them both, so it doesn't really matter.
I actually thought Ted Lewis came prety close to being as good as Miki Shinichirou, although he only had 12 episodes, so he never really got to be completely adjusted to the character.

Raevell
18th February 2006, 4:31 AM
I actually thought Ted Lewis came prety close to being as good as Miki Shinichirou, although he only had 12 episodes, so he never really got to be completely adjusted to the character.

Though this is competely off topic, why was Ted Lewis replaced?

As far as the dubbing I don't think they would bother to go back and air an episode that is nearly ten years old. At this point I don't even have any desire to see it... Does anybody? O_o; I think just about all who knew about it have seen the Japanese episode.

Heracross
18th February 2006, 4:36 AM
Though this is competely off topic, why was Ted Lewis replaced?
I believe he had to go a trip or something and was unavailable to dub the episodes, so they had Mr. Stuart fill in. Apperently they liked his James so much they just had him continue to supply his voice.

Rufinito18
18th February 2006, 4:52 AM
they're too cheap...to do anything like THAT

Chris
18th February 2006, 5:27 AM
Uh, being cheap has nothing to do with it. It's about there being absolutely no point to do so. o_O

ChaosMage
18th February 2006, 9:12 PM
I actually disliked Kanto's dubbing... I prefer Hoenn in nearly every way... I'm treading one thin ice here, aren't I?

Raevell
19th February 2006, 4:44 AM
I actually disliked Kanto's dubbing... I prefer Hoenn in nearly every way... I'm treading one thin ice here, aren't I?

Lol. I think the thing is with Kanto they stuck a bit truer to the original. They pushed the envelope because it was so popular there wasn't much they could put on the air that would cause it to be canceled.

My biggest problem with the Hoenn dub is the replacement of music. 4Kids has such a knack of throwing a scene off balance by doing so. They can take a dramatic scene and make it totally comedic on the music alone. It's infuriating.

Not to mention the pointless paint edits...

MugenKeiji
19th February 2006, 6:13 AM
I always thought the first 35 or 42 episodes (whenever the Syndication run ended) were the better dubs. The script was translated better and the edits made more sense.

Sometime when the show got on WB before the second generation of games is when the crap started to hit the fan.

ChaosMage
19th February 2006, 6:22 PM
OK, I'd like to point out that the dialogue in those first 30-odd episode were no better than in Hoenn. Oh, and the "donuts" in Primeape Goes Bananas" come to mind.

Heracross
19th February 2006, 6:28 PM
Yes, but aside from their onigiri paranoia, it was much more faithfully translated. In the Houen dub we get added garbage like Kojirou being in the boy scouts and on the cheerleading team. :/

Satoshi
20th February 2006, 5:41 PM
Along with the "onigiri imitation donuts", they mostly added music the silent scenes. Those were pretty much all they added frequently. o_O

I really liked the dub of the first season, when they tried to keep it close to the original and try to keep all the original music intact. But as time passed 4kids went money-hungry and started to make pointless edits, not caring for the anime nor the fans of the original.

If they re-dubbed the first season episodes the way that the company is right now, then the dub would be how the Hoenn dub is: zoomed-in sceens with horribly done edits with a dash of M. James moaning out his stereotypical voice.

Redubbing the episodes seems to be like a bad idea for me. >___>

Geki
21st February 2006, 2:07 AM
They'll probably never re-dub old episodes.. I don't think they should anyways, even if they were to re-dub old episodes.

nekusagi
21st February 2006, 8:36 PM
It would be nice... Until we get uncuts, though, it's unlikely. But hey, if they could do it for YGO and Shaman King, ya never know.

Though I DEMAND they redub LoT.

Cybernetic Angel
23rd February 2006, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I seem to prefer the first season dubs, years ago before I came to dislike who 4Kids was doing things. Even though the show itself is steered toward kids, they ended up taking it too far sometimes.

My first thought was to redub it under a DIFFERENT company. They aren't the only ones here, and many of the others do a much better job at it as well. But whether or not the original creators would go for that is beyond my grasp.

Frankly, I'd think a remake would be a better idea (not getting into dubbing it yet, just the show). I haven't seen the original unalerted episodes, but as time goes by, someone may think of doing a remake, hopefully making it better than it is now. Note that various animes have gone through this better, most recently Cyborg 009 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg_009) and Astro Boy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuwan_Atom#Astro_Boy_animation:_1963.2C_1980_an d_2003) (note the original series dated back to the late 60's; hopefully a Pokémon remake would come much sooner). But then again, that possiblity of that happening is also out of my grasp as well.

Either way would hopefully help bring me back into the animated franchise. Otherwise, there's always fanfiction.